PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Live Video on YouTube - Good or Bad for the Eagles?

sodascouts
04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I read Don's recent statements about how the amateur videos on YouTube will be pulled. However, I disagree with this decision. I think that the videos on YouTube actually HELP rather than hurt the Eagles. Here's why:

1) They generate interest in going to see shows. Some YouTube users might not even know the Eagles are touring. Now they do.

2) They generate interest in the album. Hearing a live version of "Somebody" might make someone want to get the GOOD version.

3) They do not affect ticket sales negatively, but positively (see #1). Anyone who is content to watch shaky, out of focus videos taken with a cell phone was never going to spring for the tickets in the first place. Taking the videos off of YouTube won't change that. On the other hand, people who were on the fence can see that it's worth it. Does the band really think people are saying, "Yeah, I really wanted to see the Eagles live, but now that I can see a blurry figure in the distance in a small square on my computer with barely discernible audio, I have no desire to see the real thing."

4) They do not affect album sales negatively, quite the contrary (see #2). Again, anyone who is content with a low-quality version of the song where the people singing and the crowd noise mostly drowns it out wasn't about to go to Walmart and get the album. They either don't care enough or are too poor.

5) If releasing a top quality video like Hell Freezes Over or Farewell 1 didn't make people stay home from those shows, why would the "releases" of these crap quality videos be a problem?

6) Pulling the videos generates ill-will among younger fans and damages the band's image.

7) Yes, the band doesn't get any royalty money from these videos (which I suspect is the real sticking point). But I believe the videos help them make MORE money in ticket and album sales, and it's not as if the people who are putting this low-quality videos up are making money that would otherwise go into the Eagles pockets. They're not making money, period.

That's my opinion, anyway. What's your thoughts? Anyone agree or disagree?

Brooke
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I completely agree with all points, Soda! Good rationalization!

I think the #1 reason Don doesn't like them is the "no money in their pockets".

glenneaglesfan
04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree as well, Soda, but it seems that Don doesn't, because some have already been removed by Warner. I'm gutted that I didn't save them. I have about three that I kept. I hope some of us also saved some and that we can pool our resources.

Don and the guys, we fans spent vast amounts of money on tickets for your concerts. Surely we deserve the chance to relive the moments through some amateur videos?

Glennsallnighter
04-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I totally agree Soda and GEF! Surely Don is past worrying about how much money he's not going to get (which is a big 0) by leaving these videos be! They can only serve to publicise the band anyway. We had fun doing them!! Where's the harm?

Perfect Little Sister
04-07-2008, 07:23 PM
It seems to me a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Yes, they are not getting a royalty check for these vids BUT, they are receiving free advertising. Factoring in the ill will/anal rep this action will evoke, it's not the best move they could make, in my opinion.

Maybe it's a quality control issue with them. They don't want a "product" with their name on it that is less than the highest quality possible. I again have to defer to my man Sammy Hagar who doesn't police cameras at his shows. You can video clip his concert while standing on the stage behind the band. I have to also add that it only cost me $150 to stand on that stage with the man. Hello...Eagles...are ya listening? :wink:

Freypower
04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Without YouTube the Eagles would not have recorded How Long. :wink:

YouTube will not go away, and the band can be as precious and high handed as they like about it. I believe it is helping them.

My own feelings are ambivalent, however. When they came to Australia in 2004 none of this existed. Now I pretty much know what the show will be like, the sets, even their clothes (assuming the continue to wear the suits). It has to some extent taken some of the element of surprise out of it.

luvthelighthouse
04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
It was YouTube that made me go out and buy LROE. I heard some songs on there and though, "I NEED that CD".

It's nice to see them when we want... and not when they decide to make an occassional appearance. Personally, I think they should be thanking YouTube. :)

sodascouts
04-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, there you go. That's what I'm talking about, LTL.

Welcome, BTW!

DonFan
04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Good points, all. I agree with everyone--the Eagles should realize youtube is their friend, not their enemy.

Welcome from me too, LTL!

Mrs Frey
04-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Well, while surfing YouTube yesterday I got wind of Don's feelings, through someone's video comment, and was thinking quite deeply about it on the way home from work.

I have to say I'm disappointed that Don feels this way. Here in South Africa, we are so deprived of Eagles exposure, and being able to see videos of them on YouTube is like Christmas to me. When I saw the "Busy Being Fabulous" official video on our local TV screens on Saturday evening for the first time, I nearly burst an artery, as it is such a rare occurrence here.

When GA and I were at opening night in London, and she tapped me on the arm while she was doing her little bit of recording, I was so happy for her, as I knew that after all the money we had spent and sacrifice we had made for our boys, we would be able to look back on some of it, and even hear ourselves enjoying the show!

Soda, I have nothing to add to your points listed above, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Nobody is making money from amateur YouTube videos - and yes, it is absolutely free advertising for the band. If anything, it will help to put more money in the Eagles' pockets, by getting more people interested in their music and live performances.

Had it not been for GFO, and the videos on this site, I would never have become the Eagles/Glenn :heart: fanatic that I am now. Seeing all those wonderful videos, whether official or amateur, was what drove me to fly 10,000 miles both ways to see them live.

All YouTubers want to do is share their wonderful experiences, and encourage others to go and see their favourites. This is obvious from the enthusiasm in the comments posted. Doesn't Don read those comments? :?

Welcome to The Border, LTL! :yay: I hope you have a great time with us.

tbs fanatic
04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree with everyone. It would be a big mistake for The Eagles to wrangle with the mighty Youtube. Don needs to lighten up over this one.

Glennsallnighter
04-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Absolutely! And welcome to the board from me as well LTL! Hope you enjoy posting with us.

Perfect Little Sister
04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I have to add to this...
After watching a clip on Youtube yesterday I have decided I will have to go ahead and spring for a seat on the floor for one concert. Even if it means that's the only one I can attend. Seeing their screen behind them and all the thought that's gone into planning that stage show, I have to sit close enough to actually see it. I had more or less convinced myself that I'd go the "cheap seat" route in order to go to more than one show. But it's Youtube clips that have me changing my mind and spending more money. :roll:

Mrs Frey
04-10-2008, 02:19 AM
LOL, PLS! The irony of it all... :roll:

I must tell you: I saw very little of the film the boys put together as the backdrop for their songs. I was staring so intently at all of them and it was just impossible to tear my eyes away! :blush:

Perfect Little Sister
04-10-2008, 04:11 AM
See, that's the thing...i'm sure it would take more than one show for me to be able to tear my eyes from the beauty of the boys to look at the screen. lol
Sigh...what a conundrum.

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Indeed PLS! The decisions we have to make :roll: . I'd go for a floor seat, as this is worth being up close for. But I also agree with MF! I cant remember too much of what was on the screens. I could hardly tear my eyes off Glenn :heart:

freyfantastic61
04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
:o At their O2 concert on the 26th I was rather taken back when just after HC (which I filmed!) :blush: Glenn :singer: announced that they didn't mind us taking photos BUT they disapproved of having WHOLE songs filmed!!and if we saw anyone doing it ,just to tap them on the shoulder and ask them not to!!Needless to say I spent the next few songs half filming and hiding my camera but recorded the sound! But after realising his comment wasn't just directed at me, I carried on along with everybody else!! Sure glad I did as I have some brilliant films!! luv FF61

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm glad you managed to get some film in the end. Shame, poor Glenn :heart:. Witchy Mummy tells us in her review that he was quite embarrassed making that announcement.

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Yes, sounds like he was put up to it rather than making it spontaneously. Its ok Sugar.....We forgive you!

FF61 are you going to put up any of your video footage?

freyfantastic61
04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
:D Yes I have put up 3 so far in concert reviews FF61x

EasyFeeling
04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
This is why most of the videos were removed. :shock: I didn't know that. I think it's not a good decision but oh well. :roll: People would rather go to a show if they can see them on youtube first. Ok, we hardcore fans go anyway, but still.

glenneaglesfan
04-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I think it's a bad move to delete these. No one watching these is going to use these instead of official versions. All we want to do is retain a memory of the concert we've seen. I've seen nobody tryng to make any money ot of these shows, and if anyone does, buyer beware!

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes I agree! I mean I'd just have them for personal use and to bring back the atmosphere of a great gig. YouTube will never replace that! I can't think of anyone who would use YouTube as a substitute for going to a gig! There's just no comparison.