PDA

View Full Version : Toronto, Canada 7-21-08, 7-22-08

timfan
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Apologies for the delay in posting my review. Things are a bit crazy right now. I will give overall impression and cute bits from both nights.

Fist off I have to say if you are thinking of going to see an Eagles show GO!! The new songs are even BETTER live than on the CD. :D My seats the first night were good but I had a tall guy right in front of me. Luckily I was on the aisle so I was out there dancing all night! (this would help me later ) On the second night i was a few rows closer and had an AWESOME view of the stage!! the staff there all know me now too!! :P

I love so many of the new songs but my favs live were definately

Waiting in the Weeds- The vocals, instrumention and visulization on this song is just magical.

No More Walks in the Woods-sounds MUCH better in person. the harmony is amazing and there voices fill the whole building. It is powerful

Somebody-Classic Glenn. Rocky R&B and Glenn obviously has so much fun with this one.

Long Road out of Eden- a HUGE statement song. A funny part of the song is the bridge 2/3 of the way thru when the music starts to fade away and then suddenly BANG they are making the statements again LOUDLY boldly and directly. The lady next to me at that point actually asked if it was a different song :) .

The one night Joe forget the words to Guilty of the crime and just kept singing Gulity! Guilty Guilty!! It was cute.

Tim sounded great on IDWTHA both nights. The second night he seemed to struggle a little bit with ICTYW but was fine for his other two songs.

Both nights when Joe sang In the City he wore a Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey team) cap. It was too cute.

Glenn said both nights how happy they were to be in Toronto and that they were "here for the whole week and enjoying your lovely city" to quote him exactly.

On Don's birthday before TLR a part of the audeince sang Happy birthday to him!! he seemed rather moved by this and a bit overwhelmed. Don made the comment "Calm down it's just another work day for me" he also said "it's nice to be 30 again" :P and near the end of the evening he commented that we the fans had really made his birthday special. It was very sweet. During band intros on the second night Glenn introduces Don as "the Birthday boy" to HUGE cheers. Also as Desperado was starting a huge part of the crowd was actually singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Both nights Glenn did both the plaintiff and the credit card jokes as well as the Witchy Woman being from their "Satanic Country Rock R&B period" comment. Last night Glenn also welcomed us to the Eagles "Assisted Living Tour" As you can see Glenn was in good humour both nights.

On the second night when Don spoke before TLR he addressed the issue of "the suits" saying he had been reading on the net how people (media) disliked them ... but that they had decided to dress their age!! He then said "if suits are good enough for the Beatles they're damn sure good enough for us! "

Both concerts were amazing... I actually can't really describe what I am feeling right now about the concerts..

One last note: On the first night the security guy had noticed me partying out in the 19th row and when the 2nd encore came... he moved me up to row 6 in front of Timothy!! I saw the same security guy last night and thanked him .. he was soo nice!!

If I remember more details I'll post it later

tbs fanatic
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Great review. Sounds amazing :D

Brooke
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Great review, tf! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Cool that security let you move up at the end, too!

As far as the suits, yes, they look handsome in them. Most men look handsome in a suit. But the Beatles wore them back in what... 1964? 44 years ago! And no, they don't have to dress like they did in the '70's, but casual would be better than corporate. Loosen up Don! We know you are on the school board and have all kinds of business dealings, but this is rock & roll we're talking about!

JMO! :D

Ive always been a dreamer
07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the great review, tf.

And Brooke - I know I've said it before, but couldn't agree with you more. It's nice to know the guys pay attention to what the fans are saying. Now, if we can only convince them to actually change their minds! :wink:

Freypower
07-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks TF, I'm glad it was so good. But they can't ditch the suits until I've seen them. :twisted:

sodascouts
07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Thank you so much for the review, TF! They sound like terrific shows!

Too funny about Joe just singing "guilty"! lol!

You mentioned Victim of Love in the set - did you mean One of These Nights, or did they really add VOL? How awesome would that be, if it's the case!

What an terrific security guard. That's the way it should be - instead of the Nazis you get at some shows!

How sweet that Don was so moved by the fans singing "Happy Birthday." It does the heart good to know that he's still so affected by the fans that love him.

That said, I love Don but... that suits excuse is BOGUS! PLEASE tell me these men don't really believe that wearing suits at a rock concert is "dressing their age"!

Don's contemporaries are Lindsey Buckingham, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel... they're not wearing three-piece suits and ties. Is Don really sniffing in distaste at these guys for dressing too young? Are his lips drawn in a tight line of disapproval when he sees that 61-year-old Stevie Nicks is not wearing a demure Sunday dress onstage? Please tell me no! What's next, yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn?

As for the Beatles thing... you're right on, Brooke. For the younger folks out there, let me explain. In the fifties and early sixties, ALL rock bands wore suits onstage so they didn't look "dangerous" to middle America. A clean-cut image sold more records. Don't believe me? Check out this photo from 1964.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/rollingstones64.jpg

Your eyes do not deceive you. That is a photo of the ROLLING STONES.

As soon as it became societally acceptable for musicians to drop the suits and dress casual, the Beatles - and everyone else except bands like the freaking New Christy Minstrels - did so. Here's the kind of "suits" the Beatles were wearing in 1967:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/beatles_1967_2.jpg

Even Ringo has spiced things up with a colorful tie!

The Eagles watched this cultural shift unfold before their eyes as they grew up. They know all of this very well. For Don to make such a statement defies logic.

I hope to death he was joking, because if he was serious, I think he may have developed some kind of complex about his age.

I don't think he was serious, however. I think he was BS'ing us. Just speculation but...

I think the real reason is that Glenn and Don have decided the suits look better on them than casual wear, and therefore they want to wear them for the whole show (an opinion I disagree with, BTW). Then, so that they don't look out of place in their suits, Don and Glenn force Joe and Tim to wear them as well.

I could very well be wrong, but that explanation makes a lot more sense than Don's!

Ah, vanity!

Now, after this diatribe, I have to say, the guys can do what they wanna do. If they want to dress like wedding singers, fine. It's just a shame that Don is out there saying that they're wearing suits because they're 60. That's just sad.

Luckily they still rock the house no matter what they wear!

timfan
07-23-2008, 06:11 PM
You mentioned Victim of Love in the set - did you mean One of These Nights, or did they really add VOL? How awesome would that be, if it's the case!

Actually the song I meant was Witchy Woman.. Just had a momentary Brain cramp :D

DonFan
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
On Don's birthday before TLR a part of the audeince sang Happy birthday to him!! he seemed rather moved by this and a bit overwhelmed. Don made the comment "Calm down it's just another work day for me" he also said "it's nice to be 30 again" :P and near the end of the evening he commented that we the fans had really made his birthday special. It was very sweet. During band intros on the second night Glenn introduces Don as "the Birthday boy" to HUGE cheers. Also as Desperado was starting a huge part of the crowd was actually singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

On the second night when Don spoke before TLR he addressed the issue of "the suits" saying he had been reading on the net how people (media) disliked them ... but that they had decided to dress their age!! He then said "if suits are good enough for the Beatles they're damn sure good enough for us! "

Great review, timfan. I am so glad you found a friend in that security guard. May we all be so lucky.

I love that the audience sang Happy Birthday to Don, and that he was so moved by them. I wish I could've seen that moment. I am so glad eveyone was able to make the night special for my favorite "30-year-old"!

NOW-

....Drags up the soapbox.....
I am completely in the minority here, but as you all know I love their suits and I was so glad to hear Don's comment about why they chose to wear them. I agree with Don completely--the Beatles looked damn good in their suits and so do the Eagles.

Soda may be right in supposing that they think they look better in suits than in casual wear. Personally, I don't like Don's ugly plaid shirts next to Joe's loud and ugly camouflage pants.

If they would decree that they would all have casual wear like Timmy, now that would be different--their new "uniform" could be blue jeans and solid shirts. Now that is a compromise I bet we could all agree on! However, until then, the suits look damn handsome on them.
....Gets down off soapbox....

sodascouts
07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, Joe's outfits are often hideous, but that's his trademark. I will say photos I've seen of him performing solo where he wears jeans and a plain loose top are very flattering, though.

As far as Don's plaid goes... I never had a problem with the plaid per se. He just went a bit extreme with it. These guys find something they like and they wear it until it falls off of them, it seems.

Here's my favorite fashion period for the guys:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/eagles1980concert.jpg

As I said about Joe, jeans and a loose, comfortable top work fine for any age and are quite flattering. I've seen Glenn in this kind of outfit and he is SMOKIN'. You should have seen him when he came out in an outfit like that for Niagara Falls. As one, we all gasped in delight at how good he looked.

However, I recognize this is just my opinion. The important thing is that they are talented musicians and passionate performers. If they dress like my dad, it doesn't take away from the power of the music (even if wearing one's Sunday best to sing "Life in the Fast Lane" and "Take It Easy" can be distractingly incongruous).

Glennsallnighter
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Wonderful review TF! I'm delighted that you are having such a good time. I think you should investigate if Tim needs some help while satying in Toronto over the next few days. Perhaps a tour guide. :wink:

Hope mid all this the move is going well too :D

siny
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Last night Glenn also welcomed us to the Eagles "Assisted Living Tour"

Good one ! :rofl:

I am in the minority here, but I loved seeing them in suits. They are legends, so they should dress like ones.

07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Well again - just to set the record straight, I like the guys in anything. I'll go to see them no matter what they wear, but I definitely like jeans the best. :D

Freypower
07-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Soda, are you saying that Glenn actually wore a shirt over jeans and it was buttoned up instead of him wearing it open over a T shirt? Now that is news. Did he have it tucked in or hanging out? No jacket? :shock:

I repeat I like the suits. I think Don wasn't really being serious when he explained why they wear them. However I would prefer Glenn at least to go back to a shirt with a jacket over it as he wore in Minnesota.

sodascouts
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
FP, on the first night in Niagara Falls, he wore jeans and a loose shirt with one wide stripe across the upper chest. It didn't have any buttons and was untucked. There was no overshirt.

He looked oh-so-fine.

But if Glenn and Don have their hearts set on wearing the suits, so be it. I still love the guys no matter what, of course. It's the music that's important.

Still, I'm only human. I can't help but hope that they at least change into more casual wear for HALF the show when they start the new leg. Mix it up a bit. ;) That way all can be happy - formal hotness for Part 1, casual hotness for Part 2.

I can dream, can't I? :: sigh ::

Mrs Frey
07-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Wow, what an entertaining way to start my day! :nod:

TF, thanks SO much for your great review - it sounds as though you had an AWESOME time! :D I'm so happy for you! God bless that security guard - what a wonderful gesture!

I just kept repeating "Awww" as I read about Don's reaction to the fans singing "Happy Birthday" to him. That was fantastic of the crowd and a great, heartfelt response from Don. It warmed my heart.

It seems Glenn :heart: was at his humorous best! I just wish we had got more of that on opening night in London, but they were just too nervous!

Poor old Joe, forgetting the lyrics to GOTC - aww, nevermind, he's such a consummate professional it seemed he handled it with aplomb. Good on him!

I'm glad Tim's voice recovered after battling with ICTYW - I think we forget sometimes how high he sings, and having to do that night after night (including high harmonies) can be quite a strain on a 60-year-old! He too is a consummate professional, though!

NOW-

....Drags up the soapbox.....
I am completely in the minority here, but as you all know I love their suits and I was so glad to hear Don's comment about why they chose to wear them. I agree with Don completely--the Beatles looked damn good in their suits and so do the Eagles.

Soda may be right in supposing that they think they look better in suits than in casual wear. Personally, I don't like Don's ugly plaid shirts next to Joe's loud and ugly camouflage pants.

If they would decree that they would all have casual wear like Timmy, now that would be different--their new "uniform" could be blue jeans and solid shirts. Now that is a compromise I bet we could all agree on! However, until then, the suits look damn handsome on them.
....Gets down off soapbox....

DF, I love your sense of humour! :lol: I think you know that I'm with you 100% on this score, except I really don't mind if Don wears plaid. :wink: I actually got a big thrill when I read that Don made reference to The Beatles wearing suits - it's exactly the same thing I mentioned in one of my posts when this subject was broached originally. 8)

I generally love what the Eagles wear, but a man in a suit... especially men as handsome as the Eagles... oh, heaven help me... :heart: :inlove: :makeout:

JoeFan
07-24-2008, 04:03 AM
I'll add my vote to those who are unimpressed with the suits. Don's right, they definitely look their age in the suits, no mistaking them for less than 60 when they're dressed like that.

But surely Don was just joshing with us, surely he doesn't think that men in their sixties mustn't wear anything but suits whilst performing!

Thank you for the review timfan, sounds like you had a wonderful time.

glenneaglesfan
07-24-2008, 06:30 AM
timfan, thanks for that great review and your little extra insights! Love the Birthday Boy references! The two nights sound awesome and I'm so pleased you had a nice security guy!

Soda, I'm trying to visualise Glenn in that outfit - anything like this?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/Glennsigned.jpg

TimothyBFan
07-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Love the review TF!!

JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimothyBFan
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/farewell1/aswtdid/PDVD_684.jpg

Need I say more about the casual vs suit issue?????

Brooke
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
A perfect example, TBF! Well done!

This has been quite entertaining this morning! I love it! :rofl:

Soda, your diatribe was perfect! :nod:

I rest my case! And I hope Don does not have a complex. If so, he needs to Get Over It!

And even if they performed buck naked, I'll still love them and go see them! :wink: :twisted:

Front row if at all possible!

TimothyBFan
07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
And even if they performed buck naked, I'll still love them and go see them! :wink: :twisted:

Front row if at all possible!

Ok this is where I splurge for the VIP tickets, leave hubby at home, and disobey security and jump the stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am visualizing this scenerio and it is really going good up until I have to call Larry to bail me out of jail :blush:

07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
:headbang:

That's all I have to say!!!

And OBTW - my recollection of the Niagara Falls shirt is different than Soda's. The shirt was similar to the one that gef posted, However, I'm not positive, but I thought it was an open cover shirt over a plain white tee shirt (and light blue jeans).

timfan
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I hope Don does not have a complex. If so, he needs to Get Over It!

:lol: It's funny you should mention "Get Over It" as that was also part of Don little suit speech.. at the end of the speech he said basically; if people didn't like the suits.. they needed to GET OVER IT!! Don obviously feels quite strongly about this issue for whatever reason.

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Don's official response to the complaints of the anti-suit league, or ASL:

"It's very clear... my suit is here to stay!
Not for a year, but ever and a day!

The radio and the mobile phones
And the YouTube that we know
May just be passing fancies and in time may go.

But oh my dear, my suit is here to stay!
Together we're going a long, long way!

In time the CD may crumble
The iPod may tumble
They're "Made In Mandalay"
But my suit, my suit is here to stay!"

DonFan
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
:rofl:

TimothyBFan
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brooke
07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Very clever Soda! :rofl:

All in all, I don't think he really cares what we think! :(

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 05:23 PM
timfan, thanks for that great review and your little extra insights! Love the Birthday Boy references! The two nights sound awesome and I'm so pleased you had a nice security guy!

Looks like it to me! Dreamer, wasn't he wearing that other outfit the second night?

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
All in all, I don't think he really cares what we think! :(

Heck, at this point, he might keep wearing suits just to spite the suit-haters!

Tim and Joe: Hey guys, let's do more casual wear the next show...

Don: NO! Then the suit-terrorists win! ;)

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2008, 05:42 PM

GEF!! My heart is beatin' faster and it just won't stop.......

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Look guys - audio of the suit rant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vn9rDKgZLE

His comments seem less lame when you listen to them than when you read them, lol. But then again I love Don's voice, so maybe that softened me up a bit. ;)

And some rather long-distance footage of One of These Nights from the concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuqf2io4WYs

TimothyBFan
07-25-2008, 06:24 AM
"Trying to act our age-for a change" :lol: He was trying to make it a joke and doesn't sound so harsh when you hear him say it. I do wonder who he is referring to when he talks about "60 year old men trying to dress like teenagers-if you know what I mean". Hmmmm?

DonFan
07-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Awww...that was a cute rant. It was great to hear everyone cheering and laughing at what he said.
And he admits they DO go on the Internet occasionally.

Brooke
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, DF! Now we know they are not completely anti-net! :applause:

glenneaglesfan
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
That was great, Soda! I love it when Don has that dry sense of humour!

Thanks for the Glenn shirt feedback, dreamer and Soda.

GA, how I wish I'd bid on that signed photo now. <sigh>

timfan
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
After last night show.. I don't know what to say...

The show itself was very good. Glenn once again mentioned how much they had enjoyed their week here in Toronto but this time he elaborated saying they had enjoyed the resturants, meeting people and just hanging out. He also said they were looking forward to returning to Toronto in the future! :wink: :D. Glenn did not do the plaintiff joke but did the credit card joke. Also when introducing NMCD Glenn said: "This next song definately approriate given your weather recently". Glenn then messed up the words on NMCD. He sang the wrong verse and kinda mumbled off. Laughing he did the DOH gesture on his forehead! It was truly adorable!

Tim sounded GREAT all night. No prob tonight with ICTYW, He came out for the second half with his shirt already unbuttoned and the tie loose :P Actually Don had his tie loose and the top button undone all night too. Tim once again thanked everyone up in the "cheap seats" for coming and also talked about Paul Carrack, even singing a few bits of other Paul Carack songs!!

During band intros Don got a HUGE ovation and was actually embarrased by it!! :D the ovation just kept going and going... til Tim actually had to start introducing Glenn to get them to stop . Before TLR Don also made a comment regarding the weather. He said: "Hey were I'm from it's 107 degrees I'm LOVING your weather!!"

Joe wore the Maple Leafs cap for ITC again and was having a great time all night. His guitar work was phenomenal as always!

Sorry my review is so lame but the last 1/3 of the concert was really ruined for me. 3 drunk guys ( may have been on drugs too) were being very beligerent in about row 13. Security asked them to leave, they refused, police were called and a fight between security and the 3 'fans' broke our RIGHT in front of me!! ( my seat was on the the corner of the first row of the second section on the floor, one seat over I would have been in the center section) It was very frightening and i managed to miss 2 or 3 songs while this all was going on and the mood was gone for me. :x

THEN a few songs later during Life in the Fastlane, the guys are all up there playing their instruments and singing and suddenly a woman is up on stage trying to DRAG Glenn off the side of the stage with her. :shock: It was AWFUL!! Ever the pro Glenn just kept playing but was off to the side for a bit as the security was obviously asking him if he was ok!

It was a Heck of a night!

At the end of the show The Ladies sitting next to me had offered to share the cab they were taking with me so we were at the back of the arena waiting to make a run for it as soon as the show ended. As we were standing at the back of the arena a different nice security guy ( who was sitting right in front of me the whole night), actually came to find me . I guess after seeing how shaken up I was by the ordeal He decided to give me a little treat! He gave me his copy of the set list/running order as a souvenir!! I was sooo TOUCHED that he would do that and to come and find me as well. WOW!!! 8) Ended the evening on a good note

07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the review, tf. Glad you ended up enjoying yourself.

THEN a few songs later during Life in the Fastlane, the guys are all up there playing their instruments and singing and suddenly a woman is up on stage trying to DRAG Glenn off the side of the stage with her. :shock: It was AWFUL!! Ever the pro Glenn just kept playing but was off to the side for a bit as the security was obviously asking him if he was ok!

I swear I was NOT in Toronto last night!!! :wink: :D :twisted:
No, but, seriously - maybe if the Security people weren't so obsessed about people and their cameras, they could have prevented this from happening. That could have been bad.

Dreamer, wasn't he wearing that other outfit the second night?

Soda - I not totally positive about this, but I thought the second night at Niagara Falls Glenn wore the pink and white candy striper shirt (the Sacramento shirt) with black jeans and a black tee shirt. Like I said, I could be confused though.

Anyway, I love your poem - it's so - er - poetic :D and Don was very cute giving his "suit" speech, although it didn't convince me. :wink:

I say let's keep voicing our opinions. As far as the guys paying attention to the Internet, I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I don't think that they do anything that they don't want to do based on fans opinions, however, I do think they may be influenced or that the opinions of the fans may help reinforce some of their decisions. Maybe it's no accident that the songs off of LROOE that they chose to perform live happened to also be some of the fan favorites. :?: :?:

sodascouts
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
First off, I'm so sorry that fight happened right near you, timfan. What is it with some of these people?! I wonder if the band noticed?

I am just stunned at some woman getting on stage and trying to drag Glenn off. I mean, where was security? Like Dreamer says, I guess they were too busy enforcing the "no camera" rule to guard the stage!

Didn't this happen to Keith Urban a few times? I remember being shocked then, too. I selfishly hope that this doesn't mean folks won't be able to get up close to the stage at future shows.

But that one near you was very sweet to come find you, timfan, so we can't judge them all.

Dreamer, I went back and checked the review and it was indeed that shirt with the stripes the first night in Niagara, but you got the second night right!

As far as the guys listening to our opinions, I think that is probably not likely. If they did, they'd have left YouTube alone a long time ago.

Brooke
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree dreamer; they just might be listening, a little.

Please allow me to borrow DF's soapbox just for a moment.

: pulls out soapbox :

So, listen up Don and Glenn, cause I think you must be in this suit frenzy together.

Guys, PLEASE, lighten up while you still can!

You are major rock stars.
You look like......LAWYERS for pete's sake! (And I KNOW you don't think much of them!)

At least get comfortable with jeans and t-shirts (or any casual shirt) for the second half! (that means NO leotards or glam get ups. No prom suits (hear me Glenn?) After all, you are all pushing or have already pushed 60! Hehehe :wink: )

And, oh yeah, :iloveyou:

: puts away soapbox : Thanks, DF! :twisted:

Brooke
07-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Oops, while on my soapbox I forgot to comment on tf's review.

What a night, girl! Couldn't you just strangle those fans that scream for attention to themselves and try to ruin everyone else's night?! :enraged: Grrrrr!

It sounds as though Glenn recovered nicely from his slip up. At least with Joe and now Glenn messing up lyrics, we know for sure they are not lip syncing! :wink:

As for the woman on stage OMG! I can't believe this happened at an Eagles concert! Wow! Hopefully, this will see light of day on YouTube! At least for a day or two! :fingerwag:

Yes, Soda, it happened 3 times at the Keith Urban show I went to a couple months ago. But he likes it and goes along with it, which I was shocked to find out! The country stars are much more fan friendly. Of course, they aren't legends.....yet! I do hope they are careful and no one gets hurt though.

Very cool, too, tf, that you got the set list! What a nice guy! :D

DonFan
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
TF, I can't believe that about the fight. No wonder you had a hard time paying attention to the next few songs, since it was happening right in front of you. I would've been upset too.
And the fact that a woman was actually able to get on stage after Glenn-- :shock: ! Guards have always lined the stage at all the concerts I have seen. That truly must have been a wild night for everyone.

It was nice that you were given a copy of the set list though, so the evening ended on a good note for you.

The closest I have come to something like that was when hubby & I travelled to California three years ago to see the Eagles in Salinas. It was in a huge outdoor amphitheater and I had a aisle seat about 12 rows back, which was good since there was a center aisle and my seat had a great view of the stage. However, a few songs in, the very drunk & unruly crowd filled the aisle and started dancing in front of me and the guards had to continually yell at them to get them out of the aisle. They brought in more guards after the intermission but they never really got a handle on it. All that yelling and shoving can really get in the way of enjoying the show. We had planned our vacation and travelled all across the US to see the Eagles, and after that night, my husband said he never wanted to go to another huge outdoor concert like that again.

DonFan
07-25-2008, 02:46 PM
At least get comfortable with jeans and t-shirts (or any casual shirt) for the second half! (that means NO leotards or glam get ups. No prom suits (hear me Glenn?)

That also means NO PLAID! (Hear me, Don?) :twisted:

And Brooke--you are welcome to borrow my soapbox anytime. :wink:

sodascouts
07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
And the fact that a woman was actually able to get on stage after Glenn-- :shock: ! Guards have always lined the stage at all the concerts I have seen. That truly must have been a wild night for everyone.

Seriously, whenever I try to even freaking move up a row, I get in trouble, but this lady got on STAGE? I'm still looking for some online Toronto reviews... can't wait to hear what those guys have to say!

BTW, found a decent video of Lyin' Eyes from a Toronto show - at about 0:40, he starts filming the screens, and we get some nice close-ups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5NoM7bAZ5g

Oh, how I love Don's stubble! He look so edgy and manly. And Glenn's smile and hair... wow, he looks amazing.

And that's just the shallow stuff; the vocals and instrumentation are terrific.

This is why they can get away with those suits. These guys would rock even if they were dressed like ABBA.

timfan
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
and here is the scan of the set list I recieved:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/timmyfan/other/eaglesLROOErunningorder.jpg

Freypower
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I get the distinct impression that Glenn has not been having a very good tour. Official reviews have hardly mentioned him, he's messing up lyrics, and he seems to be talking less than he used to. :cry:

How would I know, of course. :?

OK, edit. I just watched the above plus NMCD and TITTL. Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesWCd5fs8E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38paFGj-fbs&feature=related

The second clip is from Atlantic City and the third from Philadelphia. All I can say is SIGH. I am grateful to have seen these however briefly.

sodascouts
07-26-2008, 07:18 PM
That should put your mind at ease, FP. That rendition of NMCD is gorgeous - such an expressive voice and face!

glenneaglesfan
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Tf, I'm so sorry to hear what a bad experience you had with those drunken idiots. Why do people pay for good tickets and then lose it? Thank goodness you got home safely. It was lovely that that security guy was so nice and gave you his set list - it's a really nice memento.

Mrs Frey
07-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Oh, gosh, I'm only catching up here now. And I don't even have time to be thorough. :(

Until I have more time, I just want to say to TF: thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so sorry that part of your evening was spoilt, but at least that lovely security guard ended your evening well.

I'm really shocked that a woman would try to drag Glenn :heart: off the stage. :shock: Not only for the fact that I can't believe she got past security, but that a fan would actually try to do that. I know that Glenn :heart:, as well as the other boys, do things to us female fans, but one should still have a level of respect. Good grief.

As for the drunken fools... :evil: I have no further comment to make.

Thanks for the YouTube links, girls - hopefully I'll get a chance to watch them soon!

Brooke, you are hilarious! :rofl: But I still love the suits! :nod:

Soda: GREAT poem! :D

glenneaglesfan
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
There's a great review of the show on 22 July, plus a photo and a clip from Desperado in this blog. :)

http://tryntodecorate.blogspot.com/2008/07/fly-like-eagle.html

OMG.....just got home...The Eagles must have met up with the energizer bunny because they played for over 3 1/2 hours with a brief 10 minute intermission....wow.......despite their age they didn't disappoint and proved that they still "got their game on"...what a great concert and worth every penny......I met up with Brian at his office before the big event....we walked up and down Front street looking for a place to have a quick beer and bite and found an outdoor patio......then we rushed to the ACC.....the crowd base was my age and older...with a few young ins who grew up with parents who listened to the Eagles...we found our seats in the platnium section and were only 13 rows from the stage making the vantage point outstanding....the concert was tame....and everyone quietly "rocked on" to the music....it was one of the best low key yet high volume concerts I have ever been too.......we all sang along in unison swaying back and forth to Hotel California and Desperado....trying to recapture some of our youth......Glenn Frey who was the main mc for the night could do stand up comedy on the side if this whole day job thing doesn't work out....because he was a riot...he thanked the audience for having them play in Toronto and then quickly added ..."at our age we are just happy to get out"......LOL.....anyways I am off to bed replaying the concert in my head and thinking what a great day I had today with my husband....nite nite...

DonFan
08-02-2008, 09:25 AM
The Eagles Get Down To Business At Mohegan Sun
By STEVEN GOODE | Courant Staff Writer
August 2, 2008
Would you pay $265 for the best seat in the house at an Eagles concert? How about two Eagles concerts?

That was the cost for high-end tickets to Thursday's show at the Mohegan Sun Arena and that was pretty much what the legendary band delivered to an enthusiastic, packed house.

Jamming for about three hours, the band that made its bones on melodic, country-style rock, dished out about 30 of its best collective and solo numbers, as well as a healthy dose of their latest two-disc release, "Long Road Out of Eden."

Nattily attired in black suits and ties, the famous foursome of Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit got down to business with several new numbers, harmonizing and hitting the high notes with ease before Frey jokingly introduced the band to the crowd. "Check your ticket stubs," he said, "this is the Eagles assisted living tour starring us, the band that wouldn't die."

Backed by a four-piece horn section, two keyboards, a drummer and the superb guitar work of long-time collaborator Steuart Smith, the band segued into greatest-hits territory with crystal-clear rendition of "Hotel California." Even after all these years — the tune and the album of the same name were released in 1976 — Henley's voice was sharp and crisp and the guitar playing flawless, including an extended solo by the irrepressible Walsh.

Other staples of '70s FM radio followed, including "Peaceful Easy Feeling," "I Can't Tell You Why" and "Witchy Woman," which Frey quipped was a product of the band's "satanic country-rock rhythm and blues period" before launching into a dead-on take out of "Lying Eyes." Henley followed with a well-done "Boys of Summer" from his highly successful solo career, and then it was back to Eagles favorites "In the City" and "Long Run."

After a short break the band returned to the stage sans suit coats for several of their more mellow new songs, which were enhanced by some moving video images and film of Americana behind them. Video was also put to good use on Henley's media-swipe "Dirty Laundry," Walsh's excellent "Life's Been Good" and the album's title track, which takes a shot at excess in the United States. Ironically, one of the snapshots the band, which must have some say in the setting of lofty ticket prices, also included the image of a Las Vegas casino in the array of images flashing across the screen behind them.

The show barreled toward conclusion with Walsh wailing away on a wide-array of multicolored guitars that seemed to change with every golden oldie being belted out in perfect harmony and closed with a double encore featuring "Rocky Mountain Way," "All She Wants to Do is Dance," "Take it Easy" and the finale "Desperado."

glenneaglesfan
08-02-2008, 04:35 PM
That's a great review. Thanks for finding that, DF. I wonder what makes them decide to do ASWTDID and RMW some nights and not others? I've been to four concerts and seen these two songs added in at two of them - both times they have rocked and been very well received. It's not just down to the venue, because at the O2 they performed them the first night but not subsequently.

08-02-2008, 04:44 PM
That was indeed a fun read. Thanks again, DF. And gef, I wonder why they drop the second encore some nights as well. I just had a funny feeling that we wouldn't see it in Charlottesville and, unfortunately, I was right. And, of course, I knew there was no hopes of seeing it in Myrtle Beach since it was a shortened set to begin with. I sure hope they play it at the next show I see. I'm afraid they may be preparing to eventually drop it for good. :cry:

TimothyBFan
08-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Great review! I sure hope in Chicago we get the whole show! I'm pretty sure they would do complete sets in Chicago-right? :?

sodascouts
08-17-2008, 06:54 PM
We can only hope, TBF.

Thanks for posting the reviews, GEF and DF!

sodascouts
08-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Great sound quality on this one - Don sounds AMAZING.

Desperado from Toronto July 21 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJOBbXsi0c)

Part of it is filmed off the screens. He looks good, too!

Maleah
08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow....................I cannot wait until it's my turn to experience this live for the first time!

DonFan
08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
That was a great clip from Toronto--he looked and sounded wonderful. Thanks!

Prettymaid
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I love that one lock of hair that has fallen onto his forehead. It's such a sexy look.

TimothyBFan
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Great sound quality on this one - Don sounds AMAZING.

Desperado from Toronto July 21 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJOBbXsi0c)

Part of it is filmed off the screens. He looks good, too!

I just got goosebumps watching and listening to this!!! I will be a mess when I see it live!:fainted:

Brooke
08-30-2008, 09:56 AM
That was beautiful! :sigh:

glenneaglesfan
08-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Wonderful clip! Thanks for posting Soda.8-)

Littlemelly9
09-04-2008, 06:49 AM
MAN THEY WILL NEVER COME TO NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:enraged: