PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts ...

luvthelighthouse
04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Just lots of thoughts I've been having over the past few days. First off, whenever Spring hits, I have this thing where I must play my Eagles non-stop. It's like they are my kick off to better weather and light the way to happiness. :D

For as long as I can remember, one of my top five favorite songs of all time has been Lyin' Eyes. I loved that song before I even really knew who the Eagles were.

How is it possible that all of them still have amazing heads of hair? :? I think of the big hair bands from the 80's, and so many of them are bald, or just look like crap. These guys seemed to have aged so fabulously, especially in light of their earlier partying days. :)

I love each and every one of their voices... past and present members. I think Timothy sounds amazing when he sings, and I wish there were more songs with him as the lead. I can't tell if Glenn's voice is getter deeper w/age, or if he is just singing in a different octive for LROE. I think from the recent You Tube videos that he sounds the same when singing his older songs... so I'm not sure. :?

I've already stated this in another thread, but I really don't like the suit and tie thing at all. I feel like Joe is being held prisoner in a plain black jacket and tie. I enjoy his flamboyant side. :P Also, Glenn looks like Johnny Cash in his! :shock: The only one, IMO who can carry it off is Timothy. 8) I can't even imagine playing drums in a suit jacket, poor Don! :(

I have to admit, I wasn't very fond of LROE when I first got it... but it has grown on me... and now there are SO many songs I LOVE. Not just like, but love. They sound so amazing when singing NMWITW. The way their voices complement each other is something truly rare.

I'm sure I have more random thoughts... but these are what have come to mind. Oh, and it anyone has a pic of Glenn from his younger days wearing an OL 55 t-shirt, if you post it in Frey Fever I will forever be greatful! :D

Freypower
04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about the Johnny Cash comparison. I just don't see that.

As for Glenn not being able to carry off a suit.... he has been wearing suits now since the early 80s and I'm accustomed to it. I've always thought that he wears suits with the innate style that he's always had.

I do see what you mean about Joe looking out of place in the suit, but at the moment I think it's great. As for Don, normally when he plays drums he takes the jacket off. I haven't noticed any photos of him drumming wearing it. Tim..I'm not so sure about him in a suit.

Glenn's voice is deeper than it was. On most of the new album he is doing the lowest part of the harmonies.

You can see the Ol'55 T shirt here.

I share your opinion of Lyin' Eyes.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/eagleskirshner.jpg

sodascouts
04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I agree about the voices and the hair. By and large, they've held up well. ;)

Don has indeed drummed with his suit jacket on; I've seen it in some of the videos.

The suits are a bad idea, IMHO. Yes, they look good in them. They'd be the hottest guys at the board meeting. But getting up there and singing about "Life in the Fast Lane" while looking like they've just gotten back from another day at the office - not working for me.

It's almost as if they said, "Hmm, we've got great music that's timeless and we don't look our age - how can we remind the younger generation of how long we've been around? I know! Let's dress like their dads!" Or - in the case of Henley's pleated pants - their GRANDdads.

My fave Ol' 55 photo (I actually had this as my avatar for a while):

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFrey1974concertol55.jpg

katherine5832
04-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Gack! The suits are a horrible, horrible idea! I hope they lose them for Atlanta! Like Soda said and I said after seeing the pics from the dress rehearsal, the suits and some (if not most) of their songs just don't work together. LITFL is a great example! I'd say other good examples are ASWTDID, BOS, HC. I think the worst part of the suits is that they are matching. Not only does it look dorky, but it just seems to take away each of their individual personalities. And, I don't think the suits are flattering on them at all. I just had to add my two cents. This is one of those issues that has really stuck in my craw since I first saw them. Just whose idea was this and why did they think it was a good idea?

Freypower
04-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Although I appear to be entirely alone on this, I maintain that Glenn looks and always has looked great in a suit. :blush:

I don't understand this sudden hostility. At first I thought people were enthusiastic about them wearing suits.

The fact is that it was probably Glenn's idea and it was probably meant as an ironic comment on them being 'corporate tools' of Wal-Mart.

sodascouts
04-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm not saying they look BAD. I'm just saying that their matching ultra-conservative suits are a bit... well... dare I say it? Uncool. :(

And I have to agree it was probably Glenn's idea. I have many photos of him performing in suits going all the way back to 1982. He loves suits. It's just that in the past, he's jazzed up his suits - different colors, open necks, etc. Not this time. I also have a feeling the other guys might not be as gung-ho for the idea. Tim seems especially uncomfortable; by the end, he's loosening his tie, untucking his top, and doing his best to turn his suit into something more casual.

I seriously doubt it's some kind of statement. That's reaching, I think. It's far more likely that they decided the suits were flattering to all of them, and therefore they'd perform in them at every concert. I know when I find an outfit I look good in, I want to wear it a lot. That's all I can think of.

But hey, it's just clothes. They still sound as great as ever, whether they're rocking the hotness of the jeans and T-shirts, or wearing their Sunday best.

Mrs Frey
04-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Although I appear to be entirely alone on this, I maintain that Glenn looks and always has looked great in a suit. :blush:

I don't understand this sudden hostility. At first I thought people were enthusiastic about them wearing suits.

The fact is that it was probably Glenn's idea and it was probably meant as an ironic comment on them being 'corporate tools' of Wal-Mart.

FP, you are certainly not alone in your enthusiasm for the boys in suits! :nope: I LOVE the suits! I have always been a sucker for a good looking man in a suit, and the Eagles carry it off very well, especially Glenn :heart:! :drool:

The fact that they loosen up a bit by loosening their ties and removing their jackets later in the show reveals their less formal side, and they certainly don't remind me of corporate types at all! I just loved Glenn :heart: rolling up his sleeves during the band intros! :fainting: It was just plain SEXY! :smokin:

One would have to accuse the groups of the '60s, with the advent of the British Invasion, of being "corporate" as well! Didn't The Beatles and all the groups who followed them also wear suits?

Even Elvis Presley wore suits in the '60s, and as a 21-year-old in the mid '50s, he was wearing jackets, shirts and ties.

I have always found suits very smart and attractive, and especially since the boys are mature, it is more than appropriate.

In "Farewell 1", the boys sported suits in the first half, and even though they were wearing open necks (sigh... :blush: ), it was still formal dress. Nevertheless, it was sexy. Glenn's :heart: pink and grey combo really did it for me, and I don't think I've found Don as sexy before as I found him wearing that black and brown outfit. :drool:

FP, as you say, Glenn :heart: has been wearing suits since the early '80s, and the man is just so good looking that wearing a suit only enhances that. Ultimately, the boys look good in anything they wear, so it makes little difference to me. They always look so neat and presentable, and to me that's the most important thing.

Glennsallnighter
04-09-2008, 05:33 AM
I must say I too am in the 'suit' camp along with MF and FP. In London on the first night the excitement was tangible while the boys took their places in the darkness. All MF and I were interested in was seeing our first suitsof Glenn :heart: but also in what they were wearing.

So firstly it was 'They're wearing the suits' and then 'THERES GLENN :heart: :heart: :heart: ' I'm not really good at recreating the excitement but I think everyone was very pleased with what they saw!

Glenn :heart: is an incredible looking man no matter what he wears. The suits are gorgeous on him whether toned down or jazzed up. You only have to look at him on F1 to see how well he wears them, and hey if it was his idea................well its his band :wink: And yes MF he is just plain SEXY! :inlove:

As regards the hair, yes they really have held up well!

Soda, love the Ol '55 pic there, sheer passion from Glenn :heart:

Lyin' Eyes has to be in there with some of my favourites too LTL! I just love it and after reading in both 'Flying High' and 'TTL' how it was inspired it makes me love it even better. I can see Glenn :heart: making that comment, his eyes twinkling and his face laughing as he does it!

Yep I too feel Glenn :heart: 's voice has gotten deeper, but its just as sweet and sexy as it was and to me thats what matters.

I'll play all the boys anytime but I particularly love them when I'm driving.

Thay are the best of bands which have held up well over the decades!

Mrs Frey
04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
With regards to Glenn's :heart: voice, it certainly has deepened over the years, but if anything I almost prefer his voice now to the way it sounded in the '70s. He always has had a rich, sweet, powerful and versatile voice, and the fact that its deepened almost emphasises it more.

How I love his versatility: from the '50s influenced "I Found Somebody", to the rock and rolling of "Partytown", to the soul of "I've Been Born Again", to the aching ballad, "I Volunteer". And this was all on one of his solo albums, "No Fun Aloud"!

For the Eagles he's done beautiful ballads like "New Kid In Town", country rock like "Lyin' Eyes" (one of my big favourites, too, LTL - I perform it regularly in our band) and rockers such as "Heartache Tonight". I find it incredible that Glenn :heart: still sings NKIT and HT in the same key as he did in the '70s, given that his voice has deepened so much. A testiment to his awesome range.

And then there's "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance"... :fainting: :blush:

The Eagles certainly have been fortunate to hang on to their hair. So many men suffer from baldness from as early as their 20s these days. And boy, they have great hair! :nod:

LTL, I must second your thoughts on the boys' fantastic harmonies on NMWITW. I am held spellbound by their harmonies whenever they choose to showcase it, and their abilities are indeed rare. Thanks for sharing your interesting thoughts with us! :D

DonFan
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
FP, you are certainly not alone in your enthusiasm for the boys in suits! :nope: I LOVE the suits! I have always been a sucker for a good looking man in a suit, and the Eagles carry it off very well.....
The fact that they loosen up a bit by loosening their ties and removing their jackets later in the show reveals their less formal side, and they certainly don't remind me of corporate types at all! It was just plain SEXY! :smokin:

One would have to accuse the groups of the '60s, with the advent of the British Invasion, of being "corporate" as well! Didn't The Beatles and all the groups who followed them also wear suits?

I have always found suits very smart and attractive, and especially since the boys are mature, it is more than appropriate.

I have always loved the suits too, along with FP, Mrs F, and GA. Mrs F's comments, above, are right on the money! I just can't resist a handsome man in a suit :smitten: --and here we have four of them, singing their hearts out for us! :heart: What's not to like? 8) I can't WAIT to see them in person!

It still remains to be seen, however, if they continue to wear the suits in the heat of the summer, especially in outdoor venues. When I saw Don last summer in the outdoor amphitheater in OKC, it was 90 degrees and sweltering--the man would've died in a suit & tie! So, where I really hope I see them in suits in Atlanta, I suspect they may move toward more casual clothes for the Hard Rock Park and other summer dates.

luvthelighthouse
04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I just want to clarify... I'm not saying they look bad (as if Glenn could - NOT!) in suits... I'm just saying I don't like it for their performances. I've always thought of their music as being carefree... and suits are not carefree.

Also, I just happen to think jeans and t-shirt are SO sexy if you can wear it right... and boy can Glenn wear that right. :blush:

I had another random thought today... does anyone know if Timothy is a vegetarian? I guess his slender build and long hair (hippie image if you will) leads me to think he is... although I'm probably wrong. Also, I've never seen a picture of his wife, and I envision her w/long hair and long shirts w/vests over them. Don't ask me where these random thoughts come from... I guess just thinking about them and their lifes is all.

I also want to say, I LOVE the Eagles! They are awesome! While I may make comments that are trivial or fun or just silly... none of that means much... they are just my thoughts. I truly love and appreciate their musical talents! :D

Ive always been a dreamer
04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I am with those that are against the suits on stage. Yes, they look very handsome in them, but matching suits is not what I would prefer seeing when I go to an Eagles concert – to me there are different style of dress for different occasions and a rock concert is not what I consider a formal occasion. It’s all just a matter of preference though, and for me, it’s jeans on a stage and suits in a board room , church, or other formal occasion. I also agree that given Glenn’s known preference for suits in the past, that it is probably his idea. C’mon Glenn – lighten up while you still can! :wink:

BTW – welcome to the board ltl. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. In answer to your other question, Tim is, indeed, a vegan. As far as pictures of his wife (Jean), I don’t have time to hunt one down at the moment, but there are some posted on the board here in Tim’s Schmit Sexiness thread. There should also be some posted in the photo gallery on the TimothyBSchmitOnline.com website. Jean also appears in the opening segments on the HFO DVD.

Brooke
04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Welcome to The Border, ltl! Glad to have you! There are lots of Eagles lovers here.

It seems you have started quite the controversy! Great discussion!

First let me say I, too, love a good looking man in a suit. They are very sexy! And we have four of them here. :heart: But, I do think they will get boring if they continue on a world tour in them. I agree, they look like corporate businessmen and are "uncool"! I think they should change in to rock star clothes (jeans and t-shirts) after a few songs. LITFL, HC and many of the other songs just don't fit the corporate image. Joe looks completely uncomfortable and out of place. I mean, he is a legendary, crazy guitar player! Put him in a suit for 3 hours?

I do think they are probably taping a lot of the shows and plan to piece together a new dvd and don't want to worry about some of the glitches like we had in the Farewell 1 dvd. I'm hoping!

Perfect Little Sister
04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Ok, ok...I can't resist any longer.

"Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!" :P

Brooke
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Good one, PLS! :laugh:

04-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Especially, when the sharp 'dressing' includes nice fitting jeans, PLS! :D :D :D

DonFan
04-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Good one, PLS! :laugh:

Love it! So true!!

tbs fanatic
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I have to say I hope they have ditched the suits by the time I get to see them (if I ever do :roll: ). They all look nice in a suit but I waaaaay prefer the more casual look. Yep, if I end up paying mega-bucks to see them I want the 'casual look' thrown in for free. :D

luvthelighthouse
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Okay, I can't be the only one w/random thoughts on these guys. Do you ever have random thoughts regarding them?

Also, I'm curious... since there are some faithful members/posters here, exactly how into Eagles are you? I mean, is this the music you listen to daily... do you have daydreams about meeting them, etc? (Silly questions, I know)

Okay, my latest random thought... and I can't believe I forgot this one in my original post...

I missed my true calling as a groupie in the 70'!!! :twisted: Honestly, I would have been all over these guys like white on rice given the chance! HA!

AzEaglesFan
04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I just signed up with The Border and this is the first time I have tried to post anything so hope it comes out right. On one of the web sites for Timothy it does list him as a vegetarian. It also has a picture of him and his wife. I think she is the same woman that is hugging him on the Hell Freezes over DVD

DonFan
04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Do you ever have random thoughts regarding them?

You better believe I have random thoughts about them. I daydream about being able to meet them, and actually have a conversation with them, all the time!

I missed my true calling as a groupie in the 70'!!! :twisted: Honestly, I would have been all over these guys like white on rice given the chance! HA!

Oh, LTL--I am right there with you on that one! 8)

DonFan
04-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome, AzEaglesFan! We're glad you found us!

And you're right, that is Timmy's wife hugging him in the HFO DVD.
They look like they are a very devoted couple.

tbs fanatic
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
:rofl: I can see this topic getting naughty :shock: I don't think I can post my 'random thoughts' :rofl:

04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome to my world, tbsf. :D

And welcome to the board from me as well, azef. Hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

And now I had a few minutes to look for a pic of Timothy and the Mrs. to post ...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/16-2.jpg

DonFan
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
What cute little hippies they were! Far out!! :rockon: Peace!!

Freypower
04-09-2008, 08:16 PM
These have been some excellent comments.

I agree that they may get bored with the suits after a while. I do find it hard to believe that they will continue to wear them. But I must say at the moment I'm enjoying looking at them.

LTL... random thoughts? Daydreams? I have a lot of them. I'm going to have to think about this. The main scenario that plays in my mind is what would happen if I ever went to Pebble Beach to meet Glenn. I wonder what I would say or how I would behave.

Regarding the music it is the most important to me after the Beatles. I am proud to say that I haven't been able to get enough of it since 1975.

You used the word 'carefree' though. I would only use that about some of their earliest material. From Desperado onwards, that pretty much goes.

katherine5832
04-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Okay, I can't be the only one w/random thoughts on these guys.
Don't worry...you're not! One of my strange random thoughts is that I'll think of things in "Eagles time." For example, if I'm driving to a meeting and listening to a CD, upon arrival, I'll think something like, "Oh, that took me Disc One of LROOE to drive here." Or I'll think "It takes me One of These Nights and half of Too Many Hands to take my shower." How weird is that?

Also, I'm curious... since there are some faithful members/posters here, exactly how into Eagles are you? I mean, is this the music you listen to daily...
I've listened to them on and off since the late 70's. One of the first albums I bought was Greatest Hits when I was in middle school. Groups have come and gone, but they've always been the constant in my life. Every so often, I'll get into a groove, where they are all I listen to. Back in November, I had to drive someplace at 2:30 in the morning after not getting too much sleep and I thought, "What can I listen to that will keep me from falling asleep at the wheel?" I listened to the Very Best of CDs and I've been in one of my All-Eagles-All-the-Time grooves ever since. Around this same time, I started looking online for web sites and discovered EOC. Or, maybe I heard about the new album first; I can't remember the sequence. Anyway, since November, I've been immersing myself in everything Eagles...more so than ever before. Thank you, Internet! I've listened to the equivalent of at least three of their albums every day since then (whether a full album or various songs on my MP3) . I will put on an Eagles or Henley CD to fall asleep to every night. It's kind of funny how that started. Right before Christmas, I heard a mouse in my walls (Eek!). I couldn't stand to listen to it while I was trying to sleep so I put a CD on to drown out the sound. The mouse either escaped or died within a day or two, but ever since then, I've continued to listen to them while I fall asleep. And I always know when I wake up in the morning, what the last song was that I heard. You wouldn't think that I'd be able to fall asleep to the music since I'm usually tapping my foot or singing along in my mind, but I generally can fall asleep within 3 songs or so. It's rather pleasant falling asleep to them, I must say. In January I leased a new car and I got a year's worth of satellite radio with it. I was thrilled about this and then the novelty wore off - after 2 days! I went right back to the Eagles! I'm sure at some point I'll stop listening to them as much as I am now, but right now it's all I want to listen to.

do you have daydreams about meeting them, etc? (Silly questions, I know)

Daydreams?? Now that would be just downright crazy! :wink: :D

Oh, to have been invited to one of their "third encores!" :twisted:

Mrs Frey
04-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Okay, I can't be the only one w/random thoughts on these guys. Do you ever have random thoughts regarding them?

Also, I'm curious... since there are some faithful members/posters here, exactly how into Eagles are you? I mean, is this the music you listen to daily... do you have daydreams about meeting them, etc? (Silly questions, I know)

Okay, my latest random thought... and I can't believe I forgot this one in my original post...

Highlighted paragraph: LTL, there has hardly been a day since I first became crazy about Eagles music in 2004 (I'm a '76 baby! :blush: ) that I haven't listened to their music. The day I fell in love with them (and in particular, with Glenn :heart:) was on 11 February 2007, and since then I've been a goner. I discovered GFO the next day, and it's been all downhill from there... :wink: I know all the lyrics to most of their songs, and sing and play many of them too. I daydream all the time about meeting them, and like FP, I also wonder how I would behave and what I would say if I were to meet Glenn :heart: at Pebble Beach. I know I would be very nervous, and also ultra conservative! When Glenn :heart: acknowledged me at the 20 March London concert, my heart leapt, and I can't even remember if I smiled - I just stared at him. :blush:

And yes, I admit, I have some pretty naughty thoughts about Glenn :heart: too, but this is a family Board. :twisted: :wink: :blush: :blush: :blush: It's all Glenn's :heart: fault - he's just so darn sexy... :blush:

Probably my greatest wish would be to sing with the Eagles. I'm not in their league, but hell, it would be fantastic. I've always dreamt of singing a harmony with Glenn :heart: on "The Girl From Yesterday", or on "Peaceful Easy Feeling". I do it all the time when I have those songs on at home.

Mrs Frey
04-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Don't worry...you're not! One of my strange random thoughts is that I'll think of things in "Eagles time." For example, if I'm driving to a meeting and listening to a CD, upon arrival, I'll think something like, "Oh, that took me Disc One of LROOE to drive here." Or I'll think "It takes me One of These Nights and half of Too Many Hands to take my shower." How weird is that?

Also, I'm curious... since there are some faithful members/posters here, exactly how into Eagles are you? I mean, is this the music you listen to daily...
I've listened to them on and off since the late 70's. One of the first albums I bought was Greatest Hits when I was in middle school. Groups have come and gone, but they've always been the constant in my life. Every so often, I'll get into a groove, where they are all I listen to. Back in November, I had to drive someplace at 2:30 in the morning after not getting too much sleep and I thought, "What can I listen to that will keep me from falling asleep at the wheel?" I listened to the Very Best of CDs and I've been in one of my All-Eagles-All-the-Time grooves ever since. Around this same time, I started looking online for web sites and discovered EOC. Or, maybe I heard about the new album first; I can't remember the sequence. Anyway, since November, I've been immersing myself in everything Eagles...more so than ever before. Thank you, Internet! I've listened to the equivalent of at least three of their albums every day since then (whether a full album or various songs on my MP3) . I will put on an Eagles or Henley CD to fall asleep to every night. It's kind of funny how that started. Right before Christmas, I heard a mouse in my walls (Eek!). I couldn't stand to listen to it while I was trying to sleep so I put a CD on to drown out the sound. The mouse either escaped or died within a day or two, but ever since then, I've continued to listen to them while I fall asleep. And I always know when I wake up in the morning, what the last song was that I heard. You wouldn't think that I'd be able to fall asleep to the music since I'm usually tapping my foot or singing along in my mind, but I generally can fall asleep within 3 songs or so. It's rather pleasant falling asleep to them, I must say. In January I leased a new car and I got a year's worth of satellite radio with it. I was thrilled about this and then the novelty wore off - after 2 days! I went right back to the Eagles! I'm sure at some point I'll stop listening to them as much as I am now, but right now it's all I want to listen to.

Daydreams?? Now that would be just downright crazy! :wink: :D

Oh, to have been invited to one of their "third encores!" :twisted:

Katherine: now THAT is devotion! :D I have the "Complete Greatest Hits" and LROOE on my mp3 player, as well as all Glenn's :heart: solo albums. I listen to the player every day (interspersed with songs by Elvis Presley, the Beatles and the Searchers). I've been playing LROOE as a complete album almost non-stop - it's resident in my CD player, although Don Henley's "Actual Miles" has been getting some time there, too. When I first discovered Glenn's :heart: solo music, I would stay after work so that I could watch the videos of him on GFO (before I started downloading them). When I finally got my hands on the albums, I played nothing else. I remember once having Glenn's :heart: "The Allnighter" album on and playing it three times in a row without a break! :blush:

And this is excluding the growing picture collection in folders on my laptop! :blush: I spend a lot of time sometimes just staring at my Glenn :heart: screensaver! Oh yeah, I have it SO bad! :blush:

Mrs Frey
04-10-2008, 03:08 AM
I just signed up with The Border and this is the first time I have tried to post anything so hope it comes out right. On one of the web sites for Timothy it does list him as a vegetarian. It also has a picture of him and his wife. I think she is the same woman that is hugging him on the Hell Freezes over DVD

Welcome to The Border, AEF! :yay: :D It's great to have you here and I hope you will post many more times for us! Thanks for the information on Timothy.

Dreamer, thanks for that lovely pic of Timmy and his wife! :D

luvthelighthouse
04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Today’s random thoughts…. Keep in mind that I LOVE Glenny boy. However, I want to know, exactly when did he become a good ‘ol southern boy? I mean, he hails from the Midwest, and lives in CA… so how the heck did he adapt that southern country accent? I was watching him on YouTube (sorry Don, but you tube just makes me love you all more)… and when Glen is doing intro’s of the band, he sounds so southern. Also, even his singing has a some twang in it. OMG, he really is morphing into Johnny Cash! :woah:

Another random thought… isn’t is sweet that you see so many pictures of Timothy with him leaning his head on someones shoulder? He just looks so sweet and peaceful all the time. Also, after he sings lead on one of his songs live, he softly ends with “thank you” as everyone is applauding him. That just makes me melt. He seems really happy.

Last random thought for now… I can’t get enough of WITW’s today! Don is certainly a lyrical genius!

Oh wait... one more thought... Cindy Frey is one of the luckiest women on Earth. She's beautiful, she can dance, she has lovely children and of course, she has Glenn... sigh... :jealous:

Mrs Frey
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
LOL, LTL! You certainly have those thoughts coming on thick and fast.

I have to question one thing you wrote: doesn't Glenn :heart: officially reside in Aspen, Colorado, rather than in California? I have noticed the southern element to his accent, but oh boy, how I love it! :heart: I am no expert on North American dialects, so I don't know how a Detroit boy should sound, but with the way Glenn :heart: sounds, it matters very little... sigh... I really don't see the Johnny Cash comparison, though! :? Glenn :heart: reminds me of Elvis on occasion, with both his hairstyle on some photos and his passion on stage.

Timothy is a sweetheart, isn't he? I've noticed how he makes a point of thanking the audience over the microphone, rather than mouthing the words.

As for WITW, Don is indeed a lyrical genius. The song has often made me cry. It's just breathtakingly beautiful.

Cindy Frey is indeed lucky, and you're not the only one who is :jealous:! :blush:

katherine5832
04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Katherine: now THAT is devotion! :D

Thanks for using the word "devotion" to describe my malady and not "obsession!" :wink: :D

Brooke
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Random thoughts? Hmmmmm. Lots!

As far as the aging thing, I must agree. They all look fabulous! Still! :nod:

As for how in to the Eagles am I? Well, I've not been out since 1972 and Take It Easy! Yup, I'm that old! Honestly, I've always played their albums. I did lose track of them when they split, but I still played Eagles albums. Then when I found out more about them on the 'net after going to a concert in 2002, I learned about their solo careers. That guy that sang The End of the Innocence was in the Eagles?! 8) An Eagle did The Heat is On? 8) This was during my child rearing, poorer than dirt years (if I can use that as an excuse!). I now have all of Don's and Glenn's solo works and some of Joe's and Tim's. My car cd player rarely has anything in it but theirs. The new album took up residence for at least 6 weeks.

Had I known then what I know now, I'd have somehow got myself to California and been a groupie, too! :twisted:

Devotion/obsession. Either works for me!

Btw, have you read any of the books about them yet?

And how 'bout going to the Introduce Yourself thread and telling us about yourself? You can catch up on most of us there, too! :D

tbs fanatic
04-10-2008, 05:12 PM
MF - you remember the date you fell in love with Glenn :shock: :shock: Okay, now that's plain weird :wink: :rofl:

Freypower
04-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Today’s random thoughts…. Keep in mind that I LOVE Glenny boy. However, I want to know, exactly when did he become a good ‘ol southern boy? I mean, he hails from the Midwest, and lives in CA… so how the heck did he adapt that southern country accent? I was watching him on YouTube (sorry Don, but you tube just makes me love you all more)… and when Glen is doing intro’s of the band, he sounds so southern. Also, even his singing has a some twang in it. OMG, he really is morphing into Johnny Cash! :woah:

Another random thought… isn’t is sweet that you see so many pictures of Timothy with him leaning his head on someones shoulder? He just looks so sweet and peaceful all the time. Also, after he sings lead on one of his songs live, he softly ends with “thank you” as everyone is applauding him. That just makes me melt. He seems really happy.

Last random thought for now… I can’t get enough of WITW’s today! Don is certainly a lyrical genius!

Oh wait... one more thought... Cindy Frey is one of the luckiest women on Earth. She's beautiful, she can dance, she has lovely children and of course, she has Glenn... sigh... :jealous:

I speak as a non-American who believes Glenn doesn't affect a southern accent. I have heard it described as a 'Michigan drawl'.

NB: If Americans think he sounds 'southern' I bow to their knowledge. But why would he?

The 'twang' occurred in his early vocals. He was doing that style of music and so he adopted it to some extent. I would not describe him as singing with a 'twang' these days. Listen to What Do I Do With My Heart or Somebody.

And Johnny Cash was a baritone. Glenn is a tenor. Minor point. I don't know if Cash sang with a 'twang' or not but he had a very powerful voice and I love the way he sang, just as I love the way Glenn sings.

MF, Glenn hasn't lived full time in Aspen for years. He still has a house there but he lives in LA.

Freypower
04-10-2008, 07:04 PM
MF - you remember the date you fell in love with Glenn :shock: :shock: Okay, now that's plain weird :wink: :rofl:

Not really.... October 2, 1979. It is hard to forget. :D

Molly
04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I speak as a non-American who believes Glenn doesn't affect a southern accent. I have heard it described as a 'Michigan drawl'.

:? I've never heard of a Michigan drawl. Most people from this part of the country speak rapid fire, IMO (and I'm one of them). The only time anyone from these parts uses a drawl is when they've had too much to drink.

Personally, I think he sounds like he's doing a Jack Nicholson imitation.

katherine5832
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
However, I want to know, exactly when did he become a good ‘ol southern boy? I mean, he hails from the Midwest, and lives in CA… so how the heck did he adapt that southern country accent?

Having grown up just 15 minutes away from where Glenn grew up, I can say that he does not talk like a typical Metro Detroiter. My friends and I always thought it was amusing that, when singing, Glenn has more of a southern twang than Don who grew up in Texas. Of course, that's easy enough to do; I can affect a twang when I'm singing along to his songs. But, even when he's talking, he definitely sounds more southern than anyone around here. That's not to say that Michiganders don't have different speech patterns dependent on where in Michigan they live, but his accent is quite different than your typical Royal Oak, MI native.

luvthelighthouse
04-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I have much catching up to do. First, thanks you to FP and SS for the OL 55 pics. I LOVE that song, and him in that t-shirt... oh my!!!! :inlove:

Dreamer, thanks for the TBS info and pic. Yes, they do make a lovely couple. I wonder if Jean is still as beautiful as she was back then... I'm sure to TBS she is. :)

As for Glenn's southern accent... it is more noticable now then when he was younger... like he "learned" it. Which honestly, most people who move south do "learn" it. I guess, adapt it, would be the better word. In any case, Glenn does not live in the south! I'm a midwestern girl, and I can totally tell the difference in his speech. I'm not really bothered by it, just curious is all.

As for me... I've loved Eagles songs from a young age... w/out knowing they were the Eagles. KWIM? Like, I loved Lyin' Eyes. I loved, Take it Easy... but I never put it together that this was a band I should look further into... until I was adult. Like I mentioned, I always play them in the Springtime. Well, my Greatest Hits was scratched beyond belief and was just skipping... I couldn't take it... so off to the store to buy another copy. Well, the didn't have Their Greatest Hits, but they had, The Very Best Of, so I bought it. I must have read the interview insert 20+ times. After reading that, I felt like throwing myself into everything Eagles. It's like all Eagles all the time. I don't know why I didn't have this passion before, but suddenly, I do. I keep meaning to order the books about them off Amazon, and I keep forgetting to look up my password for Amazon. It's a most do though!

Tonights random though... I hate the song Fast Company! What's up w/that crazy voice??? Sorry, I'll probably be bashed for saying so... but I just can't take it! ICK!

DonFan
04-10-2008, 11:57 PM
No bashing here, LTL. I normally like everything Don sings, but not Fast Company. I hate that song too. UGH.

Mrs Frey
04-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Katherine: now THAT is devotion! :D

Thanks for using the word "devotion" to describe my malady and not "obsession!" :wink: :D

I pick my words carefully, Katherine! :wink: If you're obsessed, then so am I! :blush:

Mrs Frey
04-11-2008, 04:02 AM

:shock: TBSF - you mean you missed out on my Glenn :heart: anniversary celebrations over in "Frey Fever"? :wink:

Mrs Frey
04-11-2008, 04:06 AM
And Johnny Cash was a baritone. Glenn is a tenor. Minor point. I don't know if Cash sang with a 'twang' or not but he had a very powerful voice and I love the way he sang, just as I love the way Glenn sings.

MF, Glenn hasn't lived full time in Aspen for years. He still has a house there but he lives in LA.

Highlighted line: Good point, FP. I don't get the Johnny Cash comparison at all, since he was strictly a country artist. Glenn :heart: performs many styles of music.

Also, thanks for updating my knowledge of Glenn's :heart: place of residence. I've been listening to the 1992 "Strange Weather" promotional interview far too many times... :blush: :wink:

Mrs Frey
04-11-2008, 04:08 AM

:? I've never heard of a Michigan drawl. Most people from this part of the country speak rapid fire, IMO (and I'm one of them). The only time anyone from these parts uses a drawl is when they've had too much to drink.

Highlighted line: Molly, that really cracked me up! :rofl:

Mrs Frey
04-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Tonights random though... I hate the song Fast Company! What's up w/that crazy voice??? Sorry, I'll probably be bashed for saying so... but I just can't take it! ICK!

It really surprises me how many of you dislike "Fast Company". I LOVE it! It has such a driving beat, and I love Don's vocal - it's different, and it showcases his range. I also love Glenn's :heart: lower octave vocal over Don's lead - it just makes me melt.

I've always thought that the bridge of the song i.e. from "Talk to me, and I'll try to remember..." sounded very much like Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" - not in melody, but in the brass section punctuating the vocals, and also the way Don sings.

Mrs Frey
04-11-2008, 04:17 AM

Ah, FP, how I wish I could say I've been a fan for that long. Then again, I was only 3 years old in 1979! :shock:

luvthelighthouse
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Today's random thought... I think my favorite Eagles "look" was HFO. While they all still look awesome, I think they really peaked in the 90's... look-wise. Something about the hair I'm sure. I loved Joe's short hair and glasses - I thought that was SEXY! Glenn's was short and flowing... Don had that parted hair that hung on the sides of his face... Yum! Timothy, well, let's face it, that man looks hot w/long hair... still! Ok, there you have it... today's shallow thought.

rcknalwys
04-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I really liked the HFO looks also. But I really liked Glenn's long hair years back too, you can tell I'm a throwback to the 60's and 70's :blush: ! But as for Timothy...I LOVE the long hair at any age!

tbs fanatic
04-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Ah, FP, how I wish I could say I've been a fan for that long. Then again, I was only 3 years old in 1979! :shock:

:lol: Maybe it's an illness that afflicts Frey Fans :?

You don't want to know how old I was in '79 :shock:

glenneaglesfan
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
This is a great thread, thanks for startong it, Ltl!

Don't worry...you're not! One of my strange random thoughts is that I'll think of things in "Eagles time." For example, if I'm driving to a meeting and listening to a CD, upon arrival, I'll think something like, "Oh, that took me Disc One of LROOE to drive here." Or I'll think "It takes me One of These Nights and half of Too Many Hands to take my shower." How weird is that? Oh Katherine, I'm just the same! I know that if I play disc 1 of LROOE when I drive to work, I'll hear WDIDWMH along the Embankment and will be halfway through IDWTHAM as I park! How sad is that? If I play Actual Miles, I like to be on the main road by the time the bridge starts on BOS, so that I can jack the speed up! Sometimes I deliberately drive slowly just to get to a certain song (although not annoyingly slow for other drivers.) I love my music in the car, and I can sing along without long hard looks from the boys!

Also, I'm curious... since there are some faithful members/posters here, exactly how into Eagles are you? I mean, is this the music you listen to daily... Well, yes. Since I rediscovered them in 2005 I have listened to then daily, and have amassed an impressive (or should that be obsessive?) collection of articles, clippings, songbooks, dvds, etc, not to mention filling my hard disk up with photos and downloads, thanks to EOC, Ebay and Google!

Around this same time, I started looking online for web sites and discovered EOC. Or, maybe I heard about the new album first; I can't remember the sequence. Anyway, since November, I've been immersing myself in everything Eagles...more so than ever before. Thank you, Internet!Hear, hear!

do you have daydreams about meeting them, etc? (Silly questions, I know) Um....yes. :blush:

You don't want to know how old I was in '79 :shock: Me too, tbsf! Old enough to join with the others here who would have been very happy to receive one of those 3E badges! :wink:

Brooke
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Btw, didn't there used to be a bit on SNL called Random Thoughts and they were these far out "philosophical" thoughts that you could just hear Steve Martin thinking?

Molly
04-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Btw, didn't there used to be a bit on SNL called Random Thoughts and they were these far out "philosophical" thoughts that you could just hear Steve Martin thinking?

I think your thinking of "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy. Some of them were hilarious and some, I admit, I just didn't "get". :?

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
'Life' matters have kept me from being able to post this week but I am reading this thread with fascination and interest and will at least try to reply to some of the issues raised that I can identify with

One of my strange random thoughts is that I'll think of things in "Eagles time." For example, if I'm driving to a meeting and listening to a CD, upon arrival, I'll think something like, "Oh, that took me Disc One of LROOE to drive here." Or I'll think "It takes me One of These Nights and half of Too Many Hands to take my shower." How weird is that?

I too am pretty much the same depending on what cd I have on. The best example is that it takes the full POMPOY to drive to my son's creche, and HL to drive to my daughter's school. If we get to FC on the way to my parents we know the traffic is bad, and good if we're there by WITW!

Absolutely! I don't think I could do a day without my Eagles. Even the kids know to call me when an Eagles song comes onto the radio! I have them on the ipod, and on cd's both in the car and in the house. And of course I have most of Glenn :heart: 's solo stuff on cd as well. I also play some of their songs on the guitar when I'm relaxing. I have hundreds of pics on the laptop, ipod and phone (Thanks MF :wink: ) as well as DVDs of their gigs.

Do I WHAT!! All the time! Particularly Glenn :heart: . He constantly fills my head, and I really really hope I meet him some time! Of course I'd love to meet any of them, but if I met one of the others one of my questions would have to be 'Can you get me to Glenn :heart: ?'

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2008, 05:00 PM

Its also hard to forget 11 June 2006, 8:16pm, Lansdowne Road Dublin!

That was when I fell in love with Glenn :heart: . What a night to remember!

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Today's random thought... I think my favorite Eagles "look" was HFO. While they all still look awesome, I think they really peaked in the 90's... look-wise. Something about the hair I'm sure. I loved Joe's short hair and glasses - I thought that was SEXY! Glenn's was short and flowing... Don had that parted hair that hung on the sides of his face... Yum! Timothy, well, let's face it, that man looks hot w/long hair... still! Ok, there you have it... today's shallow thought.

I wouldn't call it shallow at all LTL! MF and I have often had this discussion and I'm sure she won't mind me referring to her here. But after London! .................... Well IMHO it doesn't get Hotter! Glenn :heart: Particularly!

Freypower
04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
As for Glenn's southern accent... it is more noticable now then when he was younger... like he "learned" it. Which honestly, most people who move south do "learn" it. I guess, adapt it, would be the better word. In any case, Glenn does not live in the south! I'm a midwestern girl, and I can totally tell the difference in his speech. I'm not really bothered by it, just curious is all.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I was listening to him talking on the Millennium version of Those Shoes yesterday. When he says 'feels like New Years to me, man' and then 'why don't you guys count down with me' it sounds like a standard, non-southern, American accent. In his interviews in the F1 DVD and 60 Minutes he sounds the same. He has never lived in the south, but has recorded there. He has spent a lot of time with people from Texas. Compare Don's voice. That IS a southern accent.

I like Fast Company, but I think it would have been better sung in a normal voice. I like the bridge, where Don says he got to do his 'hommage' to Al Green. MF, the comparison with Sledgehammer is interesting. That works for me too.

katherine5832
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM

It really surprises me how many of you dislike "Fast Company". I LOVE it! It has such a driving beat, and I love Don's vocal - it's different, and it showcases his range. I also love Glenn's :heart: lower octave vocal over Don's lead - it just makes me melt.

I've always thought that the bridge of the song i.e. from "Talk to me, and I'll try to remember..." sounded very much like Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" - not in melody, but in the brass section punctuating the vocals, and also the way Don sings.

I didn't like it the first few times I heard it, but now I just love it. It's one of my favorites to sing along to especially when speeding (uh, I mean driving at the posted speeds!) down the highway! :D

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Similar to me. Initially I wasn't as gone on it as I was with other songs, but my daughter loved it, so she would 'backspace' the car stereo to it (I always knew I shouldn't have let her in the front seat :roll: ), and now it has really grown on me!

Maleah
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm with you on this Mrs. F! I LOVE Fast Company! I love the driving beat, I love Don's falsetto, I love Glenn's lower vocal, I love the lyrics, I love the harmonies with the "ooooh's" near the end. :D One of my first favorites actually!

freyfantastic61
04-13-2008, 02:32 PM
:) Hi-didn't know where to put this random thought!-but does anyone know how tall the guys are?? Just wondered!! :blush:

katherine5832
04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
:) Hi-didn't know where to put this random thought!-but does anyone know how tall the guys are?? Just wondered!! :blush:

According to www.imdb.com:

Don = 5' 10'' (1.78 m)
Glenn = 5' 9" (1.75 m)
Timothy = 5' 9'' (1.75 m)

According to www.celebheights.com:
Joe = 5' 10.5" (1.79 m)

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 04:11 PM

I've noticed this too, and all I can think of is that it comes from hanging out with so many Texans for so long. Starting with JD Souther and then of course Henley, he has said before that he's been "hostage to the great state of Texas." You can still hear some of that Michigan accent occasionally, though, like when he sings "Fergiveness" instead of "forgiveness" in HOTM. I personally find the mix charming.

Other random replies...

Fast Company - ugh. Falsetto = me no like.

HFO - they all look delicious. My fave Glenn look.

And Tim the same height as Glenn? That surprises me - I thought he was taller. Of course I could be wrong, but I prefer to believe it MUST be the site's error. ;)

Finally - welcome, AzEaglesFan!

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 04:16 PM

You don't want to know how old I was in '79 :shock:

Well, I can't remember the exact date because it came on gradually rather than all of a sudden. But I don't think it's too weird to remember if you have a reason to do so!

luvthelighthouse
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Today's random thought... I wonder how it must feel to be Glenn. I mean, think about it... he is an icon.

Joni Mitchell wrote two songs about him. Bob Seger wrote a song about him. The character Randy in Almost Famous was based on Glenn.

There could be more people who wrote things about him, but I just don't know it. I think that's pretty cool. I mean, he must leave one hell of an impression on people for them to actually write about him. Dang, he's cool!

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2008, 06:28 AM
I don't feel as qualified to answer this as others who have known him (or about him) longer than me or who have met him feel. So this is just a stab and I could be way off the mark. But I have a feeling that he is probably humble enough about the whole thing at this stage. Yes, he knows he's famous, and he probably DOES get a thrill when girls half his age still scream for him at gigs, and when LROOE did so well,but he doesn't strike me as a guy who seeks iconic status. At times he even tries to take a back seat. He enjoys what he does and is aware of the pleasure he has brought to so many people in both his solo and his Eagles capacity, but also enjoys the more 'normal' things in life, like being 'dad' to his kids and his love of nature as was brought out in his ROD video, and his bit of Golf. I'd say too that while he knows that he has had an incredibly successful life, it didn't always come easy and that he is very grateful for what he has. He also seems to value his fans a lot more than other stars.
I don't know if I'm making any sense here!

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Gosh, GA, I couldn't agree more with everything you've said about Glenn's :heart: humility. It certainly seems that way, and you make perfect sense! He's a wonderful man!

LTL, I agree with you. He certainly does seem to leave a marked impression on people to inspire them to write about him. Well, just look at some of us who haven't even met him, and we post about him every chance we get! In a nutshell, he has the whole package.

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Gosh, it was funny to read this after having watched HFO last night and having thought along similar lines. I always wrestle with myself as to which era I think is Glenn's :heart: hottest, although I think it might just be HFO for me. I fell in love with the man when I watched it for the first time. He looks so "in charge" (FP will agree :wink: ) and in control, which adds to his sexiness, but there are moments when he looks vulnerable, and I want to reach out and hold him tight... :blush: I'm sorry, but he does that to me. Whenever he sits at the piano or keyboard, and that passion for his music spreads across his face, he looks in need of love and so vulnerable. There's also a moment when there's a look on Glenn's :heart: face that touches me everytime I watch HFO: when Don tells the audience that they feel very fortunate to have them supporting the Eagles after all those years, the camera spends a few seconds on Glenn's :heart: face, and my heart just melts... :hug: I absolutely love the intimate filming style of the show - the close-ups of Glenn :heart: make my heart race. The camera gets in VERY close, to the point where one can see his every pore (and the sex appeal he oozes from each one :twisted: :blush: ). His hairstyle is certainly my favourite for him - his luxurious, thick, chocolate brown, wavy hair is shown off to maximum effect. He also looks great in that tight jeans and those beige boots. HOT! :drool:

HFO is definitely my favourite period for Don and Joe - I was just thinking last night how much I love their hairstyles in the show. I love the way Don's hair falls to the sides of his face when he looks downwards :heart:, and Joe's hairstyle emphasises his facial features :smokin:.

Timothy's style hasn't changed since then, so then or now, he looks great.

Having said all that, I luuurve the way Glenn :heart: looks in F1 - that pink and grey combo (and I think I've mentioned this before :blush: ) is so handsome on him, and he looks so well groomed. His hair ALWAYS looks good. I enjoy the jeans and shirt look, too.

Don's F1 first half look is very smart and sexy - I love the brown shirt hanging loose under the black jacket. :smokin: The spiky hairstyle also suits him very well.

Regarding Glenn's :heart: solo years, I love him the most during the 'mid '80s (he's so HOT he's on fire :fainting:), but his '92 Dublin look is also very sexy, and the muscles he sported in the late '80s are... well... :drool: :makeout: Sorry, I couldn't find appropriate words to use for my feelings about it. :blush:

DonFan
04-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Today's random thought... I wonder how it must feel to be Glenn. I mean, think about it... he is an icon.

Hmmmm....my random thought is, I wonder what it must feel like to be Don?

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 09:09 AM

According to www.imdb.com:

Don = 5' 10'' (1.78 m)
Glenn = 5' 9" (1.75 m)
Timothy = 5' 9'' (1.75 m)

According to www.celebheights.com:
Joe = 5' 10.5" (1.79 m)

Thanks for these stats, Katherine! This clears up what I suspected :D , although I thought that Joe was taller than Don.

04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I’m once again behind on posting on the board. I have a couple of minutes, so I thought I’d respond to a few of the comments made over the last few days.

First of all, I also like Fast Company – I like that the guys experimented with all different types of music on LROOE. The fact that their songs don’t all sound the same is one of the main reasons that I love this band so much. Fast Company is a modern, funky song with a great message, IMHO. It’s not among my very favorites, but I still like it a lot. However, I think younger people especially like it. One of my niece’s says that it is her favorite song on the CD.

As far as the individual band member’s height, I think it is very ambitious to put Glenn at 5’9’’. My guess, based on observing him next to others, would be that he is closer to 5’8”. Also, according to some people I know that have met Joe, they think he is around 5’11 – 6’0”.

Lastly, I think the comments regarding Glenn’s southern accent are very interesting. I do think he uses it when he sings particular songs. He also has a unique way of pronouncing some words, such as thing (thang). However, for me, when he is just talking in his normal voice, I don’t usually detect a southern accent at all. Maybe, it’s because I have a strong southern accent myself, but to me, he still sounds very much like a Michigander.

sodascouts
04-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Don't forget Joe and Tim! ;)

I have no idea what it must be like to be Glenn, or any one of the guys, but it must feel really good when you know that you've affected so many lives with your work, that you've made such a difference to so many people, and that your talent is recognized and rewarded.

Freypower
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I haven't met Glenn but he strikes me as being reasonably down to earth. I imagine that when he's doing the In Charge act with the band he may be somewhat different but that's his job. I doubt he goes round all the time remembering 'who he is'. There are a lot more rock stars I could name that seem far more obsessed with their own image than he is.

luvthelighthouse
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I think my question may not have come across as it should. I'm was just thinking... can you imagine, you are 60 yrs old, and you look back at your life, and you have a character in a movie modeled after you. You have people writing songs about you. How freaking cool is that?

I was in no way suggesting Glenn wasn't down to Earth or had an ego problem. I'm just saying, for someone to have that kind of effect on others is amazing. It's not like one person referred to him... but THREE people. I guess he just has that certain aire or chemistry about him that leaves people moved by him. That's all.
:)

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Well whatever he has or hasn't got LTL he certainly has Chemistry!!

katherine5832
04-14-2008, 09:47 PM

My random thought...I wonder what it must be like to feel Don - uh - I mean to be Don! Yeah, that's what I meant! :twisted: :D :wink:

DonFan
04-14-2008, 10:58 PM
My random thought...I wonder what it must be like to feel Don - uh - I mean to be Don! Yeah, that's what I meant! :twisted: :D :wink:

Sure, that's what you meant! :lol:

sodascouts
04-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I think my question may not have come across as it should. I'm was just thinking... can you imagine, you are 60 yrs old, and you look back at your life, and you have a character in a movie modeled after you. You have people writing songs about you. How freaking cool is that?

I know. Pretty amazing!

I was in no way suggesting Glenn wasn't down to Earth or had an ego problem. I'm just saying, for someone to have that kind of effect on others is amazing. It's not like one person referred to him... but THREE people. I guess he just has that certain aire or chemistry about him that leaves people moved by him. That's all.

I think it was pretty obvious you weren't trying to diss Glenn, far from it. It's an interesting question. My answer was abbreviated only because I really don't know what it would be like to be him!

Your "chemistry" thing is so true. I love this bit Cameron Crowe said about him in an interview with Rolling Stone promoting Almost Famous:

Rolling Stone: Who is Russell Hammond, really?

Crowe: I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody - the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin' Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles' dressing room, everyone's talking about Glenn - the one guy who isn't there. He's out looking for babes. Everyone's like, "The thing about Glenn," "Oh, one time Glenn and I..." And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he's got a long-neck Bud, and he's like, "How ya doing'?" Just classic. That whole thing of "Tonight, friends - tomorrow, the interview" was him. And there's one line he really did say to me: "Look, just make us look cool." He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.

Rolling Stone: The recipe, please.

Crowe: OK. He's like, "If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You'll always have a buzz and you'll never get too embarrassing." I was like, "Uh... yeah, I know that." Meanwhile, I'm furiously writing it down.

------------------------------------

BTW, your "Random Thought of the Day" is a pretty cool idea!

Trivia: Don Henley and Joe Walsh both inspired multiple songs by Stevie Nicks. Not bad, eh? ;)

Mrs Frey
04-15-2008, 02:36 AM

Woo hoo hoo, Katherine, you BAD girl! :wink: :lol:

Mrs Frey
04-15-2008, 02:40 AM

I know. Pretty amazing!

I think it was pretty obvious you weren't trying to diss Glenn, far from it. It's an interesting question. My answer was abbreviated only because I really don't know what it would be like to be him!

Your "chemistry" thing is so true. I love this bit Cameron Crowe said about him in an interview with Rolling Stone promoting Almost Famous:

Rolling Stone: Who is Russell Hammond, really?

Crowe: I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody - the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin' Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles' dressing room, everyone's talking about Glenn - the one guy who isn't there. He's out looking for babes. Everyone's like, "The thing about Glenn," "Oh, one time Glenn and I..." And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he's got a long-neck Bud, and he's like, "How ya doing'?" Just classic. That whole thing of "Tonight, friends - tomorrow, the interview" was him. And there's one line he really did say to me: "Look, just make us look cool." He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.

Rolling Stone: The recipe, please.

Crowe: OK. He's like, "If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You'll always have a buzz and you'll never get too embarrassing." I was like, "Uh... yeah, I know that." Meanwhile, I'm furiously writing it down.

------------------------------------

BTW, your "Random Thought of the Day" is a pretty cool idea!

Trivia: Don Henley and Joe Walsh both inspired multiple songs by Stevie Nicks. Not bad, eh? ;)

Wow, Soda, thanks for sharing that part of Cameron Crowe's interview with us. I really enjoyed it, and now I'm even more sorry that I missed "Almost Famous". I had always intended to watch it, but never got around to it. Well, I wouldn't have cottoned on to the Glenn :heart: connection then, anyway, but at least I would have seen it.

As for Don and Joe inspiring multiple songs by Stevie, that is VERY COOL!!! :nod: :nod:

Glennsallnighter
04-15-2008, 05:52 AM
I've definitely read it before, On this site I'd imagine. Its a pity I was only in Kindergarten when Glenn :heart: was out chasing babes :wink: . I love the party buzz idea!

Freypower
04-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Multiple songs? I only know of Sara and Has Anyone Written Anything For You and Long Way To Go. Did Stevie write another song about Don or did you mean there are three songs about both of them?

luvthelighthouse
04-16-2008, 12:08 AM
FP, sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.

I'm chiming in w/my random thoughts... I just received Heaven and Hell today. I am at the part where Felder joins the band... Now, I realized that purchasing this book may really make me dislike my favorite Eagle ... but I'm finding this to be a hard read. If this were a work of fiction, written in third person, I'd really think him to be the hero of a heartwrenching story... but instead, since it's a biography, I find him to be reaching too hard to look like the model guy.

In any case, I haven't even gotton to the "meat" of the book yet... but I just had to share my thoughts, and wondered if anyone else has read Felder's book... and what you all thought.

Mrs Frey
04-16-2008, 02:13 AM
LTL, I haven't read Felder's book, and truth be told, I don't wish to. There are always at least two sides to every story, and it's easy for Felder to make himself look innocent when we haven't heard Glenn's :heart: side, or even Don's side, of the story.

To be truthful, I hate mudslinging books - to such a degree that I've written letters to newspapers about it in the past. What happened between the Eagles is a personal matter, and the details should be kept between the band members. Glenn :heart:, to my knowledge, has never spoken about his friction with Felder, which speaks volumes about him. If there was no money in it, Felder would never have wasted his time writing the book.

I'm sorry, but this whole situation makes my blood run cold. :evil:

Freypower
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
LTL, PLEASE don't let Felder's book allow you to dislike Glenn. Felder hates Glenn and always has.

We've discussed the book here:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585

Take note of Soda's last post, a review which says the book should be called 'Good Lord, How I Hate Glenn Frey'.

Here is the main thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563

And here:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546

The comments you made about Felder making himself out to be the 'model guy' and everyone else, especially Glenn, as villains, are accurate.

And MF, Nicky Horne asked about the infamous Kick Your Ass show in 1992 and how Glenn felt about Felder. Glenn pretty much laughed about it and said it was no big deal. He said he bore Felder no grudges. I suppose he would say that, but to me, in public, he went out of his way to try and accommodate Felder when the reunion took place, to be met with nothing but ingratitude.

sodascouts
04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Multiple songs? I only know of Sara and Has Anyone Written Anything For You and Long Way To Go. Did Stevie write another song about Don or did you mean there are three songs about both of them?

Stevie has said that Leather and Lace (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LeatherandLaceDemowithDon.mp3) was inspired by Don, and parts of The Highwayman (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/highwaymandemo2.mp3). He also inspired the obscure B-side One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/sn/MP3/BigTime.mp3).

tbs fanatic
04-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I thought 'Has Anyone Written Anything For You' was about Joe?

sodascouts
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, that song is about Joe. To clarify:

Songs Stevie wrote about Don (at least in part)
Sara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVCtdQke-w)
Leather and Lace (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LeatherandLaceDemowithDon.mp3)
The Highwayman (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/highwaymandemo2.mp3)
One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/sn/MP3/BigTime.mp3)

Songs Stevie wrote about Joe
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=19460234)
Long Way to Go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtnnH5oWpdY)
Honorable Mention:
Was the inspiration for one line of Welcome to the Room...Sara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dte8QEC4Cm8)

luvthelighthouse
04-16-2008, 09:37 PM
FP, I just wanted to say... I doubt the book would really change my opinion of Glenn. (but I was prepared for some bad stuff) I'm about halfway through it now... and to be honest, I think Don F. is a hack!

He acts like he was SO casual when he was invited to join the Eagles. :roll: WHATEVER! The hack was probably bouncing off the walls to be invited to join an established band that had a major label backing. Also, no matter what he has said, or elluded to about Glenn... to me, it was Glenn just taking charge of the band to make sure they stayed on top. Heck, someone had to.

I know this isn't the book thread... but that thread seams all but dead now (however, after finishingthe book, I may need to revive it) ... I TOTALLY noticed the whole "picture" thing too... w/Don and Glenn looking HORRIBLE, like evil demons... while he's all smiley and holding his infant child. He may be able to play guitar... but his "victim of rock-n-roll" stance is SO over the top. I'm almost embarrassed for him that he wrote this... almost, but not quite. :)

Off topic... but Soda, I've been meaning to ask you... when Glenn asked for you address to send you swag... did that ever happen? Did you ever get some sweet sway from the man? Just curious.

Freypower
04-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Feel free to make more comments in the book thread/s, LTL. I agree with your observations. The word 'hack' hadn't occurred to me but I think there is something in it. I think the only reason we didn't talk about the book much at the time was because we all felt rather sad about it.

sodascouts
04-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah, he came through - we got some T-shirts and CDs a few months ago. It was very cool!

sodascouts
04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Feel free to make more comments in the book thread/s, LTL. I agree with your observations. The word 'hack' hadn't occurred to me but I think there is something in it. I think the only reason we didn't talk about the book much at the time was because we all felt rather sad about it.

I wasn't so much sad as pissed off! lol

glenneaglesfan
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, he came through - we got some T-shirts and CDs a few months ago. It was very cool!

Yay! It had gone a bit quiet on that front and I thought he may have forgotten, but there you go, he's a man of his word!

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Of course he's a man of his word! I would expect no less from him!

I really need to get Felders book.

FP congrats on 2800 posts! Wow that is some acheivement!

glenneaglesfan
04-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I can lend it to you if you like! Two years back. Molly kindly sent her copies of 'Hotel California' over here, and subseqent donors have left Laurel Canyon untouched.'

luvthelighthouse
04-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Today's random thought... why does Glenn sing Take it to the Limit now that Randy is gone? Don't you think Timothy would have been the better choice? I mean, him and Randy have that similiar high pitch...

Hmmm....

04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
ltl - Out of respect for Randy, Tim has never sang any of his Eagles songs. I don't think he ever would. I think Tim maybe didn't want to be always thought of as Randy's replacement in the band. He wanted to 'find his own niche', and singing Randy's song would probably stand in the way of that. I totally agree that Tim would do a great job with TITTL with his high voice. However, since Glenn co-wrote the song with Don and Randy, it makes sense that Glenn would sing it. I like Glenn's version, but have also always wished that, at least, Tim could do the high part at the end - again, not likely to ever happen. I will say that Glenn does an electric version of the song in his solo shows that is far better than the acoustic version in the Eagles shows. I so wish he would go with the electric version all the time - it is awesome.

sodascouts
04-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, I remember reading that Tim outright refused to sing TITTL in concert - I think it's one of the few things he has insisted upon within the Eagles. Who knows, perhaps that's also why he didn't take Randy's verse on How Long.

I think Glenn does it because it is such a magnificent song and SOMEONE has to sing it in lieu of Randy! I love the song so much that I'm very glad he does it.

freyfantastic61
04-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi- I wasn't sure where to post this but I have just treated myself to Don's album "The end of the Innocence" and I also endulged in buying his dvd"Inside Job" much to my hubby's amusement :roll: and they are both brilliant! I now plan to catch up on some of Glenn's -maybe it should have been the other way round!! :D PS I have been showing off my photos of the concert and EVERYBODY has said "Oh you lucky thing I would have loved to have gone but put off getting tickets!" My answer to that is why wait? life is too precious and you never know what's around the corner!! 4wks on and I am still smiling!! :drummer: luv FF61

Freypower
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on EOTI, FF.

Regarding TITTL.... am I the only one for whom Randy's high singing at the end of the original version leaves me absolutely cold? It does nothing for me and never has. I am not bothered about Glenn not attempting to do that

Although Tim's voice is high pitched, it's far more 'mellow' if you like, than Randy's. As I imply above I found Randy's high singing too strident.

DonFan
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi- I wasn't sure where to post this but I have just treated myself to Don's album "The end of the Innocence" and I also endulged in buying his dvd"Inside Job" much to my hubby's amusement :roll: and they are both brilliant!

I love both of those CDs, and yes, they are both brilliant! Glad you have discovered them. I'll be glad to talk to you about them anytime!

FP, dunno if you are the only one who doesn't like Randy's high voice--but I for one LOVE his high part in the end of TITTL--especially on the Live CD. He holds that note so long it is amazing. I really miss Randy's version--to me, Glenn's doesn't come close.

sodascouts
04-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Count me among those who love Randy's high ending on the original. Very dramatic and powerful.

katherine5832
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
It's funny that the topic of TITTL has come up. I've been thinking about this song lately, and personally, I would love to hear Don sing it. I think he's the one who would be able to capture the Randy-ness (hmm...I know that could have a different meaning in some parts of the world :twisted: ) of the song. I think he could nail those high notes and make the song what it once was. I can take or leave Glenn's version, but honestly, my feeling is that Glenn's version is so markedly different (and not necessarily for the better) than Randy's that it really isn't worth including in the show. I wish they'd drop it and bring back Already Gone or New Kid in Town.

sodascouts
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
I've never thought about Don doing it - interesting idea! Certainly would be something different.

I'm not sure he'd be able to hit those high notes either though. Notice how he's taken down "I'm learning to live without you now" in HOTM? The reason: he can't consistently hit the high note of the original, and that's nowhere near as high as TITTL. He uses falsetto for high notes now, and I don't think that would work for TITTL. Sure is a novel idea, though!

A Randy song Don could do that would be cool, I think, is Too Many Hands. They would have to lower the key a bit, but it could work.

Glennsallnighter
04-24-2008, 05:04 AM
I have been showing off my photos of the concert and EVERYBODY has said "Oh you lucky thing I would have loved to have gone but put off getting tickets!" My answer to that is why wait? life is too precious and you never know what's around the corner!! 4wks on and I am still smiling!! :drummer: luv FF61

You are absolutely right FF61 and thats the take I have on life as well. We hear about so many tragedies, and 'if only's' and 'I wish I'd had a chance to.........'. The only way to 'Do Something' is to actually go out and DO IT!! And it usually works out ok in the end!!
Keep smilin' :) :) :)

Freypower
04-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Don singing TITTL is an idea that might work because he might be able to capture the more rueful and contemplative aspect of the lyrics a bit better. Glenn's version is somewhat glib. The feeling is there but he does tend to 'skate over it' a bit. But I agree that Don could no more do Randy's high parts than Glenn could.

I agree that Don could do Too Many Hands. If so, Glenn could do Try & Love Again. Had to throw that in there.

I see why people admire the high notes but that style of singing, I'm afraid, isn't really my cup of tea, regardless of who it is.

Brooke
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I've always loved Randy's live version of TITTL. It's just beautiful. I'm one that loves his high notes at the end.

I remember when I first heard about Glenn doing it, my first thought was why doesn't Tim do that song? But Glenn did ok on it. I can take it or leave it, too. Acutally, I agree with you, kat, I think they should drop it and put AG or NKIT back in.

04-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm one that thinks the high parts at the end of the song are wonderful, and as I said, I miss that part. I also do not think Don would be able to hit those notes like Randy did either. Tim could probably come the closest, but I don't think there is any chance of that happening. As I said, I really wish they would do the electric version of the song that Glenn does in his solo shows - it is SOOOO much more powerful, and very close to Randy's version (except no high parts at the end). However, it's those high parts at the end that make Randy's version of the song incomparable for me.

sodascouts
04-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I agree that the electric version is better and more exciting in concert, but I don't think his vocals are "glib." He puts his heart into it.

Freypower
04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
'Glib' is perhaps a bit harsh but I was trying to make it clear that I don't have a complete blind spot when it comes to Glenn singing this song. I have to say that I always find it uplifting when I watch him doing it in F1, especially when he favours that lucky person with a smile.

Someone tell me - are the Foxwoods & Rama versions the 'electric' versions?

If he had to drop songs from the current set list, I agree that he should have dropped this, and not NKIT, TS and AG. I don't know what he was thinking. I repeat that if he had to drop all those then at least he should have done one more of his new ones.

Mrs Frey
04-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Just to add my 10 cents worth about Glenn's :heart: version of TITTL: I enjoy Randy's version, and I love Glenn's :heart: version too. I remember being quite annoyed at reading someone's comment on YouTube along the lines of "What were the Eagles thinking letting Glenn sing this song?" They seem to forget that Glenn :heart: has been doing this song solo since the '80s - he does a great version of it in the 1986 Japan show.

It doesn't matter to me that Glenn :heart: doesn't do the high parts in the end. Glenn :heart: is Glenn :heart: and Randy is Randy. If Glenn :heart: had to attempt to do what Randy did, it would just lead to unfair comparisons. Little wonder then that Tim refuses to sing the song.

Glenn :heart: sings this with tremendous feeling and the beautiful country-like sound in his voice is brought to the fore. I loved the way he did this in London. It really didn't matter to me that TS, AG and NKIT were dropped from the new set list - whatever Glenn :heart: sings, he sings it well. He's a wonderful, versatile singer.

glenneaglesfan
04-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Certainly to UK audiences, Take It To The Limit is one of the most popular Eagles songs, and one which gets nearly everyone one singing along, so I think Glenn is right to include it. I think many concert goers would not even realise that it's being performed by by a different singer!

04-27-2008, 01:11 PM
GEF - I totally agree with you that the average concert goer may not even realize that Glenn wasn't the original singer on the song. It is either that or they just don't care because the song always gets a great reception from any audience I've ever been a part of.

luvthelighthouse
05-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Today's random thought.

So, I'm wondering why I never hear How Long or BBF on the radio. Then it hits me. The guys cut their LROO deal directly with Walmart, so that means no studio backing.

Without a studio backing, by todays standards, that means no radio play.

So, do you think it was a wise thing do? I mean, they have almost no radio play. They remove their videos off of You Tube... sure, they are touring... but I'm curious if they had a studio backing if they're music would be played in regular radio rotation, and it that would have made the album or any single hit higher on the charts?

Freypower
05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not American so I can't comment on airplay. All I know is the album went to Number One on the Billboard charts. I am not sure how releasing the album with a major label (I assume this is what you mean by 'studio backing') would have increased their airplay.

sodascouts
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't know much about this kind of thing - when you say that no studio backing means no airplay, do you mean that there is some kind of system in place by the record companies to keep songs from independent albums off of the air?

Mrs Frey
05-07-2008, 02:42 AM
I doubt that the lack of airplay has anything to do with the Eagles not getting backing from a major label. It seems the radio stations do as they see fit (although I don't know if this applies in America).

LROOE is being distributed by Universal Music in South Africa, and they have tried their utmost to get the major local radio stations to play music from the album, with no luck. :evil: The reason for this is that the radio stations claim the music does not fit in with their "format", which is basically pop, pop and more pop :roll: , which I'm more than tired of, quite frankly. Miraculously, the album has gone gold in South Africa, even without a stitch of airplay. The "How Long" video was aired about four times, and I saw "Busy Being Fabulous" once, but the video was cut short as it was just a filler between programmes. :evil:

If you're wondering how I know about Universal's efforts and the gold status of LROOE in South Africa, I found out through trying to get a local promoter to encourage the Eagles to include South Africa in their LROOE tour. Apparently there's a lot involved, and a lot to consider, since we're so far from everything (as I found out during my trip to London! :roll: ), but it's not impossible. I will continue to hope. :pray:

Brooke
05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I know zilch about this stuff, but I have heard How Long, Busy Being Fabulous and now Long Road Out of Eden quite a lot on 2 of my favorite classic rock radio stations. The first time I heard LROOE I was definitely shocked, but I've heard it several times since. And I guess it hasn't even been released as a single. I take it they can play whatever they want? :?

These stations play a lot of the Eagles tracks, hits or not, so I'm a very happy listener.

As for my Sirius satellite radio at home, I get older Eagles hits once in a while, but not as often as I'd like. Haven't heard any of the new songs on those classic rock stations at all. :(

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I can only speak for my area, but I'm guessing it's similar in other areas of the states. I'm in Chicago. We have the typical major stations, Lite Rock(easy listening), Classic Rock, two Hot Top 40, R&B, Jazz, three stations that claim to play anything, but honestly, they are pretty much adult contempory, an oldies station and a country station.

I'm not sure anymore, but two out of ALL of those stations used to do 1-2 hours of "local" music once a week. ie: Sunday night. That was the only time you ever heard any independent music, and it was only local musicians. Every other station here plays whatever the studio is backing at the time. That is why we hear the same songs in rotation over, and over, and over, and over again. I know that the studios aren't supposed to give kickbacks to the radio stations... but something is not right, seeing as how only certain songs and artists get play. Basically, I think the studios are giving kickbacks, but just finding some legal glich to loophole. I mean, really, how many times a day do I need to hear John Meyer on the radio? ICK!

For example, there is a local band that is hot here. They finally got a major label to sign them... not sure who it was, maybe Sony. In any case, the label didn't give them the push the deserved, so you NEVER hear them on the radio. Perhaps you have heard of them, the Lovehammers. The lead singer was on INXS: Rockstar. The show that tried to find a new singer to replace Hutchinson. In any case, the Lovehammers are a great band. They have a pretty big following, but their own label doesn't promote them and they never get radio play because of it.

So, my point was... it LROE was put out through the studio, I bet it would have garnished some airplay, therefore putting HL or BBF (the singles) in the Top 20. Granted, the guys wouldn't have made as much money... but I would be curious to know if WITW or some other track would end up being as popular as TIE or HC. Just random rambling thoughts.

sodascouts
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Perhaps there is some kind of kickback system in place, although apparently it didn't work out for the Lovehammers with Sony - although that seemed to be a promotional problem if I'm reading you right rather than a backing=airplay problem.

There are certainly questionable practices out there. VH1 prioritizes videos of new artists that have agreed to go on their "Artists You Oughtta Know" tour, putting them in heavy rotation.

Still, the Eagles are a huge name and even without the backing of a studio, I think their songs would get played if there were enough public demand. Didn't How Long get to the top 20 of the country charts, or am I remembering wrong?

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Soda, when I say promotion... I mean, getting them radio play.

Yes, it's very confusing!

Looking back, I guess I was trying to say... since the put the CD out themselves, they aren't getting radio play. If you put it out through a studio they would be getting radio paly... thus making their current songs more popular and in turn, it would probably make them future classics... just like their old music.

AzEaglesFan
05-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I noticed that LROOE has dropped out of the Billboard top 10 but it has never been out of the Country Weekly top 10 since it was released. I don't hear any of the songs played on Country radio but it doesn't seem to be hurting them in record sells or concerts attendance. Wish they would play the videos more and I would love to hear The Eagles on the radio. I guess I will just have to keep playing LROOE CD instead. I don't listen to the radio near as much because they don't play The Eagles.

samo
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
AzEaglesFan--I agree. Radio just does not play the Eagles. We have XM and on their 70's channel, I hear a good many Eagles songs.

glenneaglesfan
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Over here in the UK it's very hard to hear any Eagles's music. When the album first came out they played a few tracks on Gold. but it's gone quiet. A few nights ago Virgin played Boys of Summer, and I was made up!

Glennsallnighter
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
We don't tend to get much on the mainstream radio stations over here but we DO tend to get a reasonable supply of Eagles on our local country station Country mix. For example today I would have heard PEF, HL and TS. And that was only when I had the radio on! Ther were quite possibly others, as it is common enough to hear TIE, LE, NMCD and BBF. Occasionally we also get TITTL and HC although not as much as the others. At least once a day we manage POMPOY as well. Its often used to open out the next hour after the news! I think when you add the time for news, sport, weather, traffic and run into POMPOY it gives the dj about a 15 minute break!! Still, do I look like I'm complaining. I think not! Its particularly good when the radio alarm tunes in for the 7am news and then POMPOY follows. Guess who's a happy camper those mornings! :D :D :D

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't figure out POMPOY? :?:

Freypower
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM
POMPOY stands for Part Of Me, Part Of You, which in my opinion is Glenn's best solo song ever.

sodascouts
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't figure out POMPOY? :?:

LOL! When I became a new fan, this was the acronym that stymied me as well. I finally did a forum search for "POMPOY" so that I could find a discussion where (hopefully) someone had spelled it out!

I adore it - in my opinion, it's one of his best songs of all time.

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
OH!!! No wonder I couldn't figure it out... I'm pretty much an Eagles fan... but really don't know their solo efferts. While I'm sure they are great... I just have no interest in their solo careers. Yes, I know... let the bashing begin...

sodascouts
05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
DIE, BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Overkill.gif

Just kidding, lol.

Do you like the solo stuff at the Eagles concerts like Boys of Summer?

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Ok, I have to admit, I've never seen them in concert. Yes, I know, I know... sin!

When I'm at concerts, I'm usually in the "mood"... so whatever the artist plays I'm usually into it. I'd probably be okay with BOS or DL... but would perfer pure Eagles. JMO

Mrs Frey
05-08-2008, 02:21 AM
DIE, BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Overkill.gif

Just kidding, lol.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mrs Frey
05-08-2008, 02:24 AM
POMPOY stands for Part Of Me, Part Of You, which in my opinion is Glenn's best solo song ever.

Guess which song FP is going to vote for to win in "Solo Collection" Survivor? :wink: And I don't think she's the only one! GA... :wink: :wink:

It is indeed a fantastic song and passionate performance by Glenn :heart:.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Guess which song FP is going to vote for to win in "Solo Collection" Survivor? :wink: And I don't think she's the only one! GA... :wink: :wink:

I'm playing my cards close to my chest MF! Although on the subject of chests I'd be quite happy to play my cards close to Glenn :heart: 's chest.

And today for the record we got TIE out after the 11am news and POMPOY after the midday news. I just HAD to abandon an email I was writing , crank up the volume and ........... well............ sing :blush: :blush: :blush: :D

Freypower
05-08-2008, 06:51 PM

In this instance there wasn't much point in pretending. I feel I have to shout the virtues of this song from the rooftops and I will do so in the Survivor topic when appropriate.

freyfantastic61
05-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Over here in the UK it's very hard to hear any Eagles's music. When the album first came out they played a few tracks on Gold. but it's gone quiet. A few nights ago Virgin played Boys of Summer, and I was made up!

Hi! Just thought I'd add to this Radio 2 are always playing the Eagles especially in the mornings! And one of our local stations Wave 105 play them too :D

glenneaglesfan
05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for that, FF61! I'll have to check that out. Radio Devon used to play Eagles tracks occasionally, but they have a new presenter and he likes current stuff. :roll:

luvthelighthouse
07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Today's Random Though - If you notice, Felder's hair was kinda dishwater blonde in the 70's, and even HFO. However, once he wrote his book and described the white blonde headed child... amazingly, his hair is now soft blonde.

How's that for image? I mean, lighten that hair up and look angelic... just as the book states. He's really pulling out all the stops, 'eh?

I'm not mad or anything, I just think it's funny!

Freypower
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
He keeps describing his hair colour as 'cotton white'. I agree with you thathis hair was standard blonde. But really if you look at him now he hasn't really lightened his hair colour, despite what he says.

luvthelighthouse
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Are you kidding me FP, it's totally lighter now! Look at HFO. It's just dishwater blonde. If you look at his promotional book tour photos it soft soft blonde. He's is SO having his hair lightened.

I'm not one to upload and post pics... but if someone has the desire to bring up the photos of HFO and the Book Tour, I think you'll notice it.

Freypower
07-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, I guess if Glenn & Don dye their hair then Felder has every right to lighten his hair colour if he wishes.

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't care what he does... I was simply pointing out the humor value in it. The whole angelic image... that's all.

sodascouts
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I think his hair is indeed lighter now - but I thought it was because he was older, went white and tried to hide it with a lighter color! My grandmother did that when her hair went white.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Most of you here deal with ebay, I have Timothy B Schmit in my favorite searches and ebay emails when new stuff is added to ebay. Can someone please tell me why his albums and cds go for so much $$$? He is probably the least fave and unknown Eagles for most people (that pains me to say that!) but yet his material goes for pretty good $$ most of the time. Just a random thought I thought I would share.

sodascouts
09-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I guess because he is less popular, his stuff is rarer and therefore more costly because it is "hard to get." There's obviously enough Tim fans to sustain the price!

AzEaglesFan
09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I wondered the same thing about Timothy's CDs. I wanted one of them and the price was way to unreasonable to even consider. I finally went and bought it on Amazon for a forth of the price ebay wanted.

luvthelighthouse
04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Resurrecting this thread… since this is random.

Basically, all since Celebrity Apprentice came on, I’ve been paying some attention to Bret Michales. I was watching some show on TV yesterday about Bret and his personally actually reminds me of young Glenn. On Celeb Apprent, he comes across very genuine and likeable. He’s also very creative. They show him w/his female fans and he makes every one of them seem special. He comes across like the type that likes all the girls; tall, short, cubby, thin… he just loves that the women adore him and he’s so sweet and sexy w/all of them. Last night’s show, I was again watching him w/the ladies… and they all just eat him up. I kept having these flashes to Glenn’s early days. He always seemed like the guy that was so sweet and loving to the ladies, even if it were only for one night. He treated them all special and made them want him even more. (think hooker book) I always got the impression that Glenn was the that guy who could make you feel like you were the only woman in the world. I believe so few people can actually work that charisma… but Bret and Glenn are great examples in my book.

Okay, that was my random thought…

04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
And what a random thought that was, ltl. Anytime you tell me to think about the hooker book, my mind starts running on full cylinder - not sure how random the thoughts are though - they tend to be very focused then - SIMPLY THE BEST. :partytime:

I think you are right on about your assessment of young Glenn. Even today the man is reaking with charisma. As you said, he just has that way about him of making everyone feel very special if you are lucky enough to get his attention.

I haven't followed Bret that closely, but I can totally see how he may be the same way.

Brooke
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd agree with all that about Brett and Glenn. Both are very charismatic! Besides being very HS & G! :nod:

GlennLover
05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I think you are right on about your assessment of young Glenn. Even today the man is reaking with charisma. As you said, he just has that way about him of making everyone feel very special if you are lucky enough to get his attention.

And you would know, Dreamer, as you were lucky enough to get his attention & experience that charisma in person!!!! :fainted: I can only dream of that :lol:! I'm just extremely :jealous:.

Prettymaid
05-01-2010, 09:09 PM
And you would know, Dreamer, as you were lucky enough to get his attention & experience that charisma in person!!!! :fainted: I can only dream of that :lol:! I'm just extremely :jealous:.

I always have to laugh when I think of the infamous Screwdriver story of Pebble Beach 2007, and how Dreamer kept Glenn calm while he was waiting for his drink to arrive by saying, "Come on, you can do this". :lol:

05-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Well ladies - I was just over in the San Jose threads sharing in the excitement about all the lovin' our fellow Borderers got last night. And then, I came here and read this. Thank you for sparking my own little personal trip down memory lane.

GL, trust me, I realize how lucky I have been to experience the Frey charisma firsthand. And PM, I still can't believe how 'cool' I stayed during that little conversation. All I remember thinking about in the back of my mind at the time is "OMG - I am standing here talking to Glenn Frey with no one else in the entire world hearing this". What can I say - I'll always cherish my little 5 minutes of private time with Mr. Frey!!! :thumbsup:

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
I may have posted this already, but was thinking about it again...

I love the say Don and Timothy's voices complement each other... for example WITW and Do Something. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when TBS sings against Don in WITW... and adore when Don comes in at the end of Do Something.

Side note... I'm at work and listening to my IPod. I just blurted out "Slip into your red dress"... OMG, nobody said anything, maybe they didn't notice or just think I'm an idoit... I'll w/the second guess...

Prettymaid
05-07-2010, 02:25 PM
You were just caught up in the moment! (Just don't do it too often around "regular" people) :wink:

TimothyBFan
05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
My random thought for the day....

Is it wrong to envy or be jealous of the nurses that got to prep one, Timothy B Schmit, for surgery? :blush:

luvthelighthouse
05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Probably ;)... but I can not pass judgement!

Prettymaid
05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
That is sick, but hilarious!

TimothyBFan
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
What can I say? http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/1.gif

Troubadour
05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
LOL! Best emoticon EVER.

Prettymaid
05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe I should borrow that smiley for the meet 'n greet thread. :blush:

TimothyBFan
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Random thoughts the last few days...centered on the cd that has been on constant play on the ipod, cd players and computer... EXPANDO.

These lyrics!!! It's not like I haven't paid attention to them before but for some reason they are really getting to me these last few days. I suppose it could be the emotional rollercoaster my kids have me on because they are growing up and have decided to do their own things like leaving home for months at a time, the nieces that are popping out new babies (first of 3 that I just had a pic text of and was born about 15 minutes ago-and broke down in tears again--geesh!) or it could be the hormonal imbalance of a woman my age, etc....

ANYWAYS... these are the ones that have really gotten my attention one or more of the gazillion times I've listened to Expando the last few days...

1. Please see signature bar. Told everyone about that one in another thread. And yes Cathy, I was bawling like a baby in the tanning bed, :roll: thanks for pointing that out! :lol:

2. From Secular Praise again and my current status on Facebook today.
Time rolls by But it all seems like the wink of an eye Now I look straight ahead and smile We had a lot to dream about Music filled our minds Sailing all around our heads In perfect time. Ain't it the truth!!!!!

3. From Friday Night. Roll that big world right off your shoulders I will try to do the same If we don't act now, we'll simply grow older Another faded picture in a frame.

4. Also from Friday Night. You can be my princess I'll be what you like Let's run around the palace It's a Friday night. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

5. From Parachute. And you feel you're just about to break in two When you're stuck in overdrive and you're longing for home It's time to change your attitude Open up your parachute. Words to live by really!
6. From I Don't Mind. Well, it's too bad you live with such misery 'Cause everybody knows it loves company But count me out... I'm doing just fine 'cause I don't mind. This is my sister in law thru and thru and in the words of Timothy, she loves to "piss and moan" and blame everyone else for her miserable life. She wears you down and I told myself quite awhile back "count me out..."

I could go on--won't bore you. I know we've had this discussion before when Expando first came out but just had to revisit it since it has been going through my mind randomly the last few days.

One more random thought. I really do wonder why Timothy has not written more songs for the Eagles (I guess the whole "brought it to the table and they weren't interested" thing probably explains it) but it seems he is a GREAT lyricist. Just my opinion and I am a little bias tho I guess.

luvthelighthouse
06-10-2010, 10:08 AM
3. From Friday Night. Roll that big world right off your shoulders I will try to do the same If we don't act now, we'll simply grow older Another faded picture in a frame.

This has always gotton to me, so I completely understand!

I honestly believe that the band pigeon holed TBS into a ballad singer... and thus didn't appreciate some of his songs. I'm sorry, but IMO, there are SEVERAL songs on Expando that would have worked better on LROOE than some songs on Eden. ie: FGOTBP, ILTWAMD (which I like)

The Eagles could have sung the @#$* out of Parachute, A Good Day and Downtime. Too bad they didn't give those a chance. Also, TBS said he had several of those songs written a while ago... so I'm sure he gave up some of those to the band in time for LROOE.

tbsfan
06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
This has always gotton to me, so I completely understand!

I honestly believe that the band pigeon holed TBS into a ballad singer... and thus didn't appreciate some of his songs. I'm sorry, but IMO, there are SEVERAL songs on Expando that would have worked better on LROOE than some songs on Eden. ie: FGOTBP, ILTWAMD (which I like)

The Eagles could have sung the @#$* out of Parachute, A Good Day and Downtime. Too bad they didn't give those a chance. Also, TBS said he had several of those songs written a while ago... so I'm sure he gave up some of those to the band in time for LROOE.

Timothy was asked about this in today's Boston Herald (http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?articleid=1260521).

I think they've pigeon-holed him as well, and it's a shame. I agree that there are several songs on Expando that would have been right at home on LROOE (and are better than some songs on LROOE) but it would have taken him out of that ballad box.

I also think they've pigeon-holed Joe as the zany clown rocker.

sodascouts
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I also think they've pigeon-holed Joe as the zany clown rocker.

Ironic since his first lead with the Eagles was "Pretty Maids All in a Row." I guess "Last Good Time in Town" could qualify as a ballad, but its "zany" aspects still have him in the box. To be fair, though, it's an image he himself actively cultivates.

I agree that it would be terrific if they could let Tim rock out just once!

Prettymaid
06-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I guess "Last Good Time in Town" could qualify as a ballad,...

Huh? :headscratch:

sodascouts
06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm defining ballad as a "slow song" when I say that. Perhaps using the term that way is too broad which is why I added the "I guess it could qualify." Still, I certainly wouldn't call LGTIT a "rocker."

Freypower
06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
They are all pigeon holed to some extent. Only Don is allowed to sing 'social comment' songs and most of Glenn's songs must be slow, romantic ballads which mean that they don't get played live or if they do (Somebody) that is later seen as a mistake. Ironically, none of Don's LROOE 'socal comment' songs apart from the title track have been played either.

I don't know what Don & Glenn thought when Tim brought his songs to them, but the comment made by Don in Rolling Stone that they kept waiting for Tim & Joe to bring songs to them and it didn't happen.... jars with me.

Prettymaid
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm defining ballad as a "slow song" when I say that. Perhaps using the term that way is too broad which is why I added the "I guess it could qualify." Still, I certainly wouldn't call LGTIT a "rocker."

I never thought of LGTIT as a slow song, but I agree that it's not a "rocker".

tbsfan
06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
They are all pigeon holed to some extent. Only Don is allowed to sing 'social comment' songs and most of Glenn's songs must be slow, romantic ballads which mean that they don't get played live or if they do (Somebody) that is later seen as a mistake. Ironically, none of Don's LROOE 'socal comment' songs apart from the title track have been played either.

Since they're the decision-makers though I've seen that more as a case of them pigeon-holing themselves and each doing what they wanted to do.

I don't know what Don & Glenn thought when Tim brought his songs to them, but the comment made by Don in Rolling Stone that they kept waiting for Tim & Joe to bring songs to them and it didn't happen.... jars with me.

I had a hard time believing his comment when I first read it and even more of a hard time once I heard Expando.

TimothyBFan
06-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I had forgotten about that (selective remembering?)!! "It didn't happen"? Timothy says it did ---which is it I wonder.:eyebrow:

sodascouts
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I thought it was Rolling Stone too but when I looked it up and couldn't find it, I went back to our conversation about it (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620) when it came out and it turns out it was from an article in The Independent (http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/don-henley-a-pretty-fly-guy-1213885.html). It's from November 2007, days after the album's release:

Don states:
"I strongly opposed a double album, but Mr Frey wanted a double record and he's the boss. Everybody thinks I'm the boss, but I'm not. Part of it was band politics, of course. When you have four lead singers you want everybody to be represented. I wrote 'Do Something' with Timothy, and Joe sings a Frankie Miller song ['Guilty of the Crime'], and he wrote 'Last Good Time in Town' with J D Souther. Frankly, Joe and Timothy didn't bring in a lot of stuff. We were waiting for it, but it never came."
So it's not that Don claims Tim and Joe didn't bring any material, it's just that they didn't bring in "a lot of stuff," by Don's definition. Of course, the other interpretation is that they didn't bring in a lot of material that was deemed Eagles-worthy.

But the point is, no one is "misremembering" or saying something "didn't happen." Both statements can be accurate - both Don and Tim state that Tim did indeed bring some material. It just wasn't "a lot of stuff" in Don's opinion.

AzEaglesFan
06-11-2010, 07:05 PM
I did wonder when Expando came out, how much of it Timothy wrote about the time they were doing LROOE. But some of it like Ella Jean is just to personal and I'm sure Timothy wanted it for his own CD.

Freypower
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I thought it was Rolling Stone too but when I looked it up and couldn't find it, I went back to our conversation about it (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620) when it came out and it turns out it was from an article in The Independent (http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/don-henley-a-pretty-fly-guy-1213885.html). It's from November 2007, days after the album's release:

Don states:

"I strongly opposed a double album, but Mr Frey wanted a double record and he's the boss. Everybody thinks I'm the boss, but I'm not. Part of it was band politics, of course. When you have four lead singers you want everybody to be represented. I wrote 'Do Something' with Timothy, and Joe sings a Frankie Miller song ['Guilty of the Crime'], and he wrote 'Last Good Time in Town' with J D Souther. Frankly, Joe and Timothy didn't bring in a lot of stuff. We were waiting for it, but it never came."
So it's not that Don claims Tim and Joe didn't bring any material, it's just that they didn't bring in "a lot of stuff," by Don's definition. Of course, the other interpretation is that they didn't bring in a lot of material that was deemed Eagles-worthy.

But the point is, no one is "misremembering" or saying something "didn't happen." Both statements can be accurate - both Don and Tim state that Tim did indeed bring some material. It just wasn't "a lot of stuff" in Don's opinion.

Sadly, I tend to think that the 'it wasn't Eagles worthy' interpretation is the correct one.

luvthelighthouse
07-01-2010, 01:10 AM
When on FB, I keep seeing the icon for Expando. I wonder what TBS's kids think, every time they pop on FB and see it? :headscratch: :lol:

07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I hope Tim's kids feel pride whenever they see the Expando icon - I think their ole man did them proud with this album, and I guess I'd have to disagree with Don somewhat because I think several of the songs on the album are "Eagle worthy".

Prettymaid
07-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I know. But to give Don the benefit of the doubt, we have to remember that Timothy brought these songs to the Eagles in their rough stage, not the polished version we hear on the album. I'm sure they sounded a lot different then.

TimothyBFan
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
The last few days I've needed some downtime to take my mind off real life for a few moments. It seems that this week everything we own, wish to own or have recently bought has decided to breakdown on us. I've checked all the trees in the backyard and not a one of them seems to be a money tree so I instead choose to ignore the problems for an hour or so a day and act like they don't exist. So I got online and decided to watch Eagles stuff from EOC that I haven't seen for a long time. It's been fun but I found myself having "random thoughts" I wanted to share or get opinions about. Knowing I wouldn't remember them later, I pulled out the ol' post it notes and wrote them down.

Had to take a picture because I thought how ridiculous it looked, to even me, with the computer sat to the board, the Eagles mug and the post its about videos I had just watched. Seriously need to get a life!! :hilarious: Here's what it looked like only moments ago.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/downsized_0819001134.jpg

So here's a few of my random thoughts. Feel free to ignore them, get out of this thread and move on.

**In watching some of the stuff from 1976, I realized that I hadn't noticed before how quickly after Joe joined the group they started doing lots of his solo stuff.

**Turn To Stone from Houston '76--Don Felder's guitar work here was absolutely amazing!!

**Seven Bridges Road from Seattle '76-- Love Glenn's harmonica and wonder why they don't still do it now that they've added it back into the setlist. They all seem so at ease and yet it is so precise in the delivery. Real pros!! Love the way you can pick out each individuals voice in it. Never get enough of this song--old or new.

**New Kid In Town from Pittsburgh '94--Joe and Don F clowning around at the part "you look in her eyes". Funny!

**Greeks Don't Want No Freaks from Chicago '79 audio-- Funny how they did that song in concert. Know it was on the new album but seriously, can you see them even considering say, Fast Company, which is off the new album now. In hearing others talk about FC here on the board, I would compare this to being the same caliber of song as Greeks. KWIM?

**Take It Easy from Central Park '72--I've often wondered (and maybe knew at one time) what the story is about the beginning, "My Daddy was a handsome devil..." before kicking into the song. Like it but what's that all about?

**How Long from Holland '73--Thought how impressed I am that Nancy had this up and that's how we have a new version. Impressed that Glenn's daughter when she saw it, had the foresight to think it could be redone and put on the album. Personally, not that impressed with this version, like the new one better. JMO

**Ol' 55 from Kirshner '74-- What a GREAT version this is. Don's voice is just amazing and spot on through the whole song!!

**King Of Hollywood from Long Beach '80 audio--Love the audience response after Don's "Yeah, we gonna take care of you darlin'" Of course we all do also but good to know they were paying attention and caught how freakin' sexy he sounds in that.

**Do you think the guys ever watch any of these old videos or bootlegs and think "how the hell did we get here now?" I mean they have come a LONG LONG way from those days.

There you have it! My random thoughts for the last 4 days. Pretty sad huh? :hilarious:

Brooke
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Love every bit, TBF and don't have time right now to say more, but..

**Seven Bridges Road from Seattle '76-- Love Glenn's harmonica and wonder why they don't still do it now that they've added it back into the setlist.

Ugh! I LOVE Glenn and his harmonica in that and would go crazy if he ever pulled it out again! :inlove:

sodascouts
08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
So I got online and decided to watch Eagles stuff from EOC that I haven't seen for a long time. It's been fun but I found myself having "random thoughts" I wanted to share or get opinions about. Knowing I wouldn't remember them later, I pulled out the ol' post it notes and wrote them down.

Glad these videos helped! I have watched them so many times I know them by heart.

In watching some of the stuff from 1976, I realized that I hadn't noticed before how quickly after Joe joined the group they started doing lots of his solo stuff. I guess it was because they didn't have much else they could do! Joe had one Eagles song and I think they wanted to feature their new guy.

Turn To Stone from Houston '76--Don Felder's guitar work here was absolutely amazing!!Joe's not bad either! An incredible song for guitar. I LOVE it and wish the Eagles still did it, but I can understand why they traded it for some of Joe's more well-known tunes.

Seven Bridges Road from Seattle '76-- Love Glenn's harmonica and wonder why they don't still do it now that they've added it back into the setlist. They all seem so at ease and yet it is so precise in the delivery. Real pros!! Love the way you can pick out each individuals voice in it. Never get enough of this song--old or new.I still can't get over the fact that they're doing it again. It is MADE OF AWESOME.

Greeks Don't Want No Freaks from Chicago '79 audio-- Funny how they did that song in concert. Know it was on the new album but seriously, can you see them even considering say, Fast Company, which is off the new album now. In hearing others talk about FC here on the board, I would compare this to being the same caliber of song as Greeks. KWIM?I think this song is tres lame but I guess they saw something in it or they wouldn't have recorded it. Perhaps they thought it would appeal to the college kids in the audience who might empathize with the line about puking on their girlfriend after too much beer. Man, even writing that last sentence makes me cringe. What a sucky song!

For the curious, have a listen:
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/TGDWNFChicago79.mp3

Take It Easy from Central Park '72--I've often wondered (and maybe knew at one time) what the story is about the beginning, "My Daddy was a handsome devil..." before kicking into the song. Like it but what's that all about?That song, which is called "Silver Dagger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Dagger_%28song%29)," was performed to feature their tight acapella harmonies. I don't know why they picked that particular tune, though.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/TakeItEasyCentralPark72.mp3

How Long from Holland '73--Thought how impressed I am that Nancy had this up and that's how we have a new version. Impressed that Glenn's daughter when she saw it, had the foresight to think it could be redone and put on the album. Personally, not that impressed with this version, like the new one better. JMOIt all happened like a movie, although apparently it was Cindy who had the idea about the song being something that could sell today after Deacon and Taylor found it on YouTube (according to Glenn).

One thing I do like about the old version was that way that every member got to sing lead on it. Even Bernie gets to sing a line by himself: "Muddy river runs so deep."

Ol' 55 from Kirshner '74-- What a GREAT version this is. Don's voice is just amazing and spot on through the whole song!!Glenn's isn't bad either - they sound great together. Love the piano as well. This song always moves me.

King Of Hollywood from Long Beach '80 audio--Love the audience response after Don's "Yeah, we gonna take care of you darlin'" Of course we all do also but good to know they were paying attention and caught how freakin' sexy he sounds in that.One of the things I love about those bootlegs is the audience response captured forever.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/KingofHollywoodLongBeach80.mp3

Gotta love hot'n'sexy Don!

Do you think the guys ever watch any of these old videos or bootlegs and think "how the hell did we get here now?" I mean they have come a LONG LONG way from those days.I've wondered about this too. It might be weird to watch yourself from way back when, but it also might be fun, like watching home movies of yourself when you were younger. I remember when Don was being interviewed for a British program called The One Show in 2007 that he seemed visibly uncomfortable as they played back "Witchy Woman" from the 1973 BBC broadcast. He said that he thought they did it much better now and when the host protested that they sounded great in the BBC video, Don waved him off and seemed eager to move on to the next topic. I think he at least doesn't enjoy watching the old stuff.

MikeA
08-19-2010, 02:36 PM
"Turn To Stone" was in their setlist during the Farewell tours.

sodascouts
08-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Yep - you can listen to it from Chula Vista 2003 here:

http://www.joewalshonline.com/multimedia/MP3/TurnToStoneChulaVista2003.mp3

Unfortunately it was dropped from the setlist before the tour ended. :(

MikeA
08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
We hit something like 15 concerts during that Farewell tour. I recall that SBR and TTS were in the setlist. But in later concerts, they only did SBR *IF* they were dead solid *ON* vocally that particular night. So, we knew if they sang it, we were going to be in for an exceptional concert even by Eagle's standards.

I don't remember when they killed TTS, but I remember distinctly that I missed it when it was no longer being performed. That was one of the real treats of catching Joe with Stone Temple Pilots out in Vegas. Both "Confessor" and "Turn To Stone" were performed....the two songs by Joe that I think stand above most all of the others except maybe Funk #49.

I always thought "Rocky Mt Way" and "Life's Been Good" were a notch below TTS and Confessor. I also thought 'Tend My Garden" was one of the best that Joe came up with!

Hmmm, listening to that clip of TTS you linked Soda, encourages me to try TTS with that long Delay in the solo! I've played it with a lot of reverb and with WahWah, but not with that Delay Echo.

Scarlet Sun
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
**Ol' 55 from Kirshner '74-- What a GREAT version this is. Don's voice is just amazing and spot on through the whole song!!:hilarious:
I really wish they would have gotten some good shots of Bernie playing steel (and singing) on this tune (Jackson Browne's) instead of just a closeup of his hands at the end

sodascouts
08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
There has been speculation that they only show the hands because it wasn't Bernie on the steel guitar for those songs (for whatever reason). Perhaps Jackson Browne brought his own man for that.

Any opinions, yay or nay? It seems logical he would be doing it, but then, why is his face never shown?

Scarlet Sun
08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
There has been speculation that they only show the hands because it wasn't Bernie on the steel guitar for those songs (for whatever reason). Perhaps Jackson Browne brought his own man for that.

Any opinions, yay or nay? It seems logical he would be doing it, but then, why is his face never shown?

At the very end of Ol' '55, after the last note and during the applause, you can clearly see Bernie sitting at the steel in the background. Maybe the director was really into the steel guitar in terms of how it is played and that's why he went with the closeups

sodascouts
08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the info. That settles that! Too bad about the director's preferences though because, like you, I would have enjoyed seeing Bernie's face.

Freypower
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Re Seven Bridges Road: If you are going to do it do the WHOLE song. Just because people are applauding doesn't mean you should stop. Presumably I will see this in December and I know I will be disappointed if there is no final verse.

King Of Hollywood: I love this version but mainly because the falsetto part is more dominant than it is on the recording. I know the 'we're gonna take care' part is sexy and draws a big response but that is not my favourite part.

Turn To Stone: If I had my way this would be back in the setlist.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the input about my observations!! I'm glad it's getting so much discussion. Love hearing others opinions about what I'm seeing also. :thumbsup:

bernie's bender
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
"Silver Dagger" is a standard in folk circles (where all the boys spent lots of time in their youth)

The song is very sad, where a young girl is kind of tortured by a bitter mother who assumes that all men will be like the man she fell in love with and who left her for another.... a rake!

I think the part that the Eagles were trying to take and use (agreed it is a great vehicle for their harmonies, but there are tons of songs that would have worked and they don't follow the melody of the original that closely)

It makes sense to me that they started where they started in the song to show 'state of mind' of the guy who is 'runnin down a road, tryin' to loosen his load' as being the son of the guy as a man... and what the man would be like... so, with the introduction of who the man is and what he is about...

they start the song... as if they were ushering in a new generation of the ballad tradition... a story song... that has sadness, but has hope and like so many things of that era were focused on the present and being in the moment... what will we do today.

EaglesFanatic
09-20-2010, 01:03 AM
I was just watching some videos on EOC tonight, and a few things caught my eye...
In the Walden Benefit Week video, when it shows Timothy, it says Ex-Eagles Bassist :headscratch:

Tonight was my first time watching the Hall of Fame Induction. I thought it was so cool how all current and former Eagles members played a couple songs together. I also thought that Glenn and Don Henley's speech was very thought-provoking and inspirational.

The live Hotel California 1977 was fun to watch. But the roar of the crowd when they were walking on stage was incredible! I can't imagine what it feels like to them to be such a loved and prominent band.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the Holland, 1973 Witchy Woman video. It is just pure awesomeness :lol:

whitcap
09-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I was just watching some videos on EOC tonight, and a few things caught my eye...
In the Walden Benefit Week video, when it shows Timothy, it says Ex-Eagles Bassist :headscratch:

The Walden Woods Benefit was before the Eagles got back together. All of the members would have been considered Ex-Eagles at that point.

09-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Glad you enjoyed listening to that stuff, EF. Fun, isn't it! :nod: I still enjoy watching those clips even though I've seen them all lots of times.

TimothyBFan
10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
My random thought for the day....

How many times a day do I think something Eagley, say something Eagley and drive people crazy with it?

Prettymaid
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Alot, but it's okay - we forgive you! :hilarious:

Troubadour
10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, we forgive you... but it's not us you drive crazy! ;)

Peekaboo
10-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, to us you're considered normal. Probably not so much to everybody else.

Music is constantly playing at work and The Eagles/solo songs get played every now and then but there are times when i hear the beginning of a song and I swear it's an Eagles/solo song but I was completely wrong. It started out sounding like The Eagles but I guess it was just all of the other noises in the casino throwing me off. The song that messes me up the most is Boys Of Summer. I always think that song is being played and it's something else entirely. :shrug:

Prettymaid
10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Man Peek, I know what casinos sound like and I'm surprised you're not deaf by now!

Peekaboo
10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Man Peek, I know what casinos sound like and I'm surprised you're not deaf by now!

Tell me about. It's even worse on Friday and Saturday nights. Those are our busiest nights and it can get fairly loud. I guess I just get used to it because half the time I don't notice the noise from the slot machines.

TimothyBFan
10-29-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm thinking it's going to be a Timothy B. Schmit on the ipod day--only because tomorrow is his birthday and I feel I must. His birthday will be better for me this year than last. Last year I had minor surgery on his birthday and slept through most of it. :hilarious:

sodascouts
10-29-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm going out of town on Tim's birthday so I won't be able to do it up right, but I've got my Tim avatar prepared which I will proudly wear all day tomorrow, as well as get my Timothy playlist going (remember that playlist, Willie? It lasted you, me, and PM all the way to his concert and back - several hours)!

TimothyBFan
10-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Oh yes, I remember it well. I think mine's lacking some of the songs you had on yours. I should get a copy of the songs you had so I can get them all loaded onto mine. You did that playlist right!!! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
11-01-2010, 10:42 PM
That was a very thorough playlist! :nod:

Peekaboo
11-02-2010, 04:06 AM
So, George Jones was in concert at my casino this past friday. Don has said in a few interviews that Mr. Jones is one of his musical influences. I wonder if the Eagles weren't in concert that night in Lubbock would Don have made the 3 hr trip from Dallas to see him in concert. I mean, Don's made a whirlwind trip from Canada to his hometown in one night to see Merle Haggard in concert. Hey, a perfectly sane, hardcore Eagles/Don fan can dream, right? :wink::hilarious:

Btw, Mr. Jones was playing blackjack hours before his concert but shortly before I got to work at 4pm he left to start preparing for the show. No word on whether or not he won or if he's a good tipper.

Troubadour
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I remember calling you a little while ago when I found out George Jones was going to be at your casino. I would have LOVED to have seen him. A true legend. I'd love to see Merle Haggard, too. I love his music, and his documentary "Learning To Live With Myself" is both interesting and moving.

11-03-2010, 11:05 AM
A lot of times I will go to Nashville the week between Christmas and New Year's to visit my aunt and cousins. We will ride around and see different things, particularly elaborate Christmas decorations. One of the "must see" attractions is a visit to George Jones' house. It is unbelievable the way that it is decorated at Christmas time. We tried to take pictures but none of them come close to capturing the magnificance. As I have mentioned numerous times, I'm not a huge fan of country music, but I have to say George Jones and Merle Haggard are among the best, IMHO.

Troubadour
11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Dreamer, that is so cool. I love country music. The old stuff, anyway. George, Merle, Waylon, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Don Williams... I'm fascinated by those characters. They certainly lived it!

Brooke
11-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I like some country music and George Jones is a classic. I saw him a few years ago in concert at a small country festival and he was fantastic. Good ol' possum!

TimothyBFan
11-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Country you say? If I was forced to listen to it, I would have to http://bestsmileys.com/dead/2.gif JK ;)

luvthelighthouse
11-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Just really missing the guys lately! I looked at the tour schedule and see they are "off" this month...Dec is busy for them... then I thought, hey, they are out of town until basically the day before Christmas Eve... I wonder if that gets them out of Christmas shopping. :hilarious:

I really wish I could see them live... I'm kinda kicking myself that I missed them over the summer... I could use a fix about now... I'll even take a solo show if they'd throw me a bone and do one!

11-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Well, ltl - they have stores in Australia, so no exemptions for the guy as far as Christmas shopping. :wink:

But, I know EXACTLY how you feel about missing those shows. The reason I drove so far to Louisville to see the guys (and Soda, of course) is because I figured it would be my last chance to see them for a good long while. I know I would have been kicking myself now if I hadn't gone. My guess is that we won't see any more Eagles shows until spring at the earliest. Maybe we'll get real lucky and one or two of them will schedule some solo shows or two of them will schedule some Party of Two shows. :pray: :pray: :pray: I figure that I'm gonna try to seize any opportunity that I can to see them.

AmarilloByMorning
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I just fervently hope they never stop touring, even if they just adopt the George Strait style of 12-15 shows per year. As long as they're making the rounds, there's this sense of "Well, life is good. Everything's all right."

And, what's with all the country music hatred? C'mon, now. Before Shania Twain arrived, we had some decent developments.

Freypower
11-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Just really missing the guys lately! I looked at the tour schedule and see they are "off" this month...Dec is busy for them... then I thought, hey, they are out of town until basically the day before Christmas Eve... I wonder if that gets them out of Christmas shopping. :hilarious:

I really wish I could see them live... I'm kinda kicking myself that I missed them over the summer... I could use a fix about now... I'll even take a solo show if they'd throw me a bone and do one!

With the greatest respect, LTL, I have been waiting for this tour since 2004 and I am deeply grateful that they are coming to Australia again. I will try & do the best I can to provide comprehensive reviews of the four Sydney shows I will be attending.

Glennsallnighter
11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe you could show them some shops in Sydney as well FP!

MikeA
11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
And, what's with all the country music hatred? C'mon, now. Before Shania Twain arrived, we had some decent developments.

I dunno ABM....I thought Shania was developed pretty well.

But I have to admit, I'm not a big Country fan...nor much of a little one either. And with that said, I'm pretty much over the top on Band Of Heathens and I think they sort-of have to be put in a Country pigeonhole.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2010, 11:08 AM
We had to go rescue our daughter after she got off work around midnight last night because her car wouldn't start again :enraged: I think it's heading to the junk yard today! Anyways, while driving I heard Sunset Grill on the radio. I got to thinking that this would be a great one to add back into the setlist. I know they did it during the F1 era and even tho it's a Don Henley solo work (and I'm always saying eliminate the solo stuff and give us more Eagles stuff), if I remember right, they did an excellent job of it on the F1 dvd and it was given the genuine Eagles "sound". KWIM?

sodascouts
12-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I actually am glad they dumped "Sunset Grill." It's a good song but kind of a downer, and with the exception of the lines "Have another beer" and "all our friends are here" - those always got cheers - it didn't really get folks revved up. In fact, it seemed to slow the momentum of the show down noticeably - at least the shows I want to. The Eagles were wise to unload it and replace it with a new Eagles song. JMHO!

BTW glad you got your little girl home safe! ;)

Freypower
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Having just seen two shows & again noticed the over-emphasis on Henley & Walsh solo songs in the second half, in my opinion the last thing they need to do is bring back a Henley solo song (or at least not this one). As Bernard Zuel said in his review they have a deep catalogue of Eagles songs. Isn't it time they examined it?

As for Sunset Grill to me it didn't sound much like the Eagles at all because it was far too reliant on the brass section.

TimothyBFan
12-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Ooops!! Guess I was wrong!! :hilarious: Maybe it just got me in my melancholy mood besides it was after midnight and I'd been up since 4 am! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!

Troubadour
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Nope, I getcha, Willie. I understand what others have said about how it fits in to the shows, but I agree that it's a fantastic song - one that I perhaps didn't appreciate as much in the past. I love it when a song you've heard a million times just grabs you on one particular listen, and you suddenly know what it's all about, and want to hear it again! I love the themes of that song and the inspiration behind it.

Peekaboo
12-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Bob Seger's Fire Down Below was just playing on the radio and I could totally hear Glenn singing that song. It sounds like a song that Glenn could've originally sang. I bet he'd do a pretty good cover of that song too. Then I started to listen a bit harder and realized that it kinda sounds like Smuggler's Blues. It could just be me but they both sound similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7r-V1id038

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKmqb7i3iaQ

GlennLover
12-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh my, Peek! It's not just you. Do they ever sound similiar! :stunned:

Peekaboo
12-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Whew!! Okay, good to know that I"m not the only one.

Freypower
12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
How strange. I never thought there was even anything vaguely similar.

sodascouts
12-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I can hear a vague similarity in the opening guitar notes. It's interesting what people hear. I remember once posting that I heard a similarity in the openings of Tequila Sunrise and New Kid in Town and was basically told I was crazy, lol.

TimothyBFan
12-09-2010, 09:12 AM
WOW--good catch Jess!! I defy anyone to listen to the opening riff and NOT say they are very similar!! Interesting!