PDA

View Full Version : Stagecoach Festival, Indio, CA 5-02-08

DonFan
05-03-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=1&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=eagles%20stagecoach&src=standard#1

Found these really nice pictures from last night's concert.

The rest of the guys are still wearing black, but it looks like Don is back to plaid. :? Goody, goody. :tonguewag:
I knew those black suits wouldn't last. I just wanted to be able to see them in them before they stopped wearing them. :sigh:

DonFan
05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Here's part of a short review from The Desert Sun:

The crowd at the Stagecoach Festival Friday swelled to nearly the size of last weekend's Coachella Music and Arts Festival, though official estimates weren't available. Goldenvoice promoter Paul Tollett said ticket sales exceeded last year's best daily attendance, when 55,000 people arrived for two days.

The Eagles, whose greatest hits collection eclipsed Michael Jackson's "Thriller" as the best-selling album of all time and is currently one of the top touring acts in the country, distinguished themselves from nostalgia bands by opening with songs from their new album, "Long Road Out of Eden," beginning with "How Long," which won a Grammy this year for best country song.

The crowd came alive on the fifth song of their set, "Hotel California," which was perfectly suited for the desert.

But the line between country, rock and pop was blurred earlier in the day when Rancho Mirage resident Shelby Lynne showed her rebellious side by criticizing the crowd distinction of VIP and general admission fans.

"I'm a punk rocker," said D.J. Morris of Ramona, "but I'm willing to go to see Mike Ness and The Eagles."

Fogerty, wearing a flannel shirt like Eagles co-leader Don Henley, played mostly Creedence songs from the 1960s.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Two observations:

One--The VIP distinction continues to be questioned.
Two--Even this reviewer had to rub it in about the plaid flannel shirts!

Molly
05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Black Mercedes eh? Nice car! Was that the one that you Pebble Beachers had a lift in?

Nothing that grand, I'm afraid. I'm not sure the 4 of us could have smooshed into the back of a sedan. One of us may have had to be a hood ornament.

It was a white SUV with surprisingly few bells and whistles. I'm not sure it even had electric windows. Poor Glenn may have been cranking that window up and down himself when asking those innocent (and clueless) bystanders for directions.

sodascouts
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Great find with the photos, DF!

They must have realized the business suits would go over like a lead balloon with the country crowd. I'm not a huge fan of Don's plaid, but I love Glenn and Joe in their black tops and jackets and I like Tim in leather. Plus, they're all in jeans. Yum!

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Yep! I noticed the jeans are back as well. Yummy indeed!

Freypower
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't know if the link to my WireImage account will work but here it is.

http://wireimage.com/ItemListings.aspx?sr=1&igi=316180&nbc1=1

If anyone sees a particular photo they want me to save, direct me to the thumbnail and I'll do it. There are some excellent photos of all the band, especially Don and Glenn. I have already saved the photos of Glenn. They are AMAZING.

Incidentally there are also great photos of John Fogerty. The blue & white plaid shirt is the one I bought at his show. And Glen Campbell still looks good for his age (he's 72 now).

tbsfan
05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I knew those black suits wouldn't last.
I have this fear that the uniforms will be back by the time they hit Atlanta. :(

DonFan
05-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I knew those black suits wouldn't last.
I have this fear that the uniforms will be back by the time they hit Atlanta. :(

Oh, I hope so! :thumbsup:

11 days to go!

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 12:57 AM
A VERY brief review here:

"Eagles Take It Easy at Stagecoach Festival" (http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1586794/the-eagles-take-it-easy-at-stagecoach-festivals-opening-night.jhtml)

Ive always been a dreamer
05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for that, Soda. As I have stated often, I am not a fan of the uniform suits. However, a little voice inside my head makes me think they will be back for Atlanta. DonFan, I know you like them, but I'm hoping that the little voice inside my head is wrong. I'll take Don in his plaid shirt and jeans any day over the boardroom attire. :wink:

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Review from EW's PopWatch (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/05/stagecoach-08-f.html) (has photo)

Review from Riverside News (http://www.instantriverside.com/riverside-news/inland-empire-news/stagecoach-day-1/2008/05/03/)

Review from Music-Minded Blog (http://newwavegeo.blogspot.com/2008/05/stagecoach-country-music-festival-2008.html) (has a great photo of Joe and Glenn)

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Here's something interesting! This person apparently blogged the first couple of entries long-distance DURING the show, then afterwards wrote up some more, including the setlist as she remembers it and a bit of Heartache Tonight live. Cool!

1. The Eagles are Doing Solo Songs (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/features/2008/05/i-called-it-the-eagles-are-doi.html)

2. What Joe Walsh Doesn't Remember (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/features/2008/05/what-joe-walsh-doesnt-remember.html)

3. The Eagles: The Highlights (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/features/2008/05/the-eagles-the-highlights.html)

4. The Eagles: A Review (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/features/2008/05/the-eagles-a-review.html)

5. One More Note About the Eagles: Set List (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/features/2008/05/one-more-note-about-the-eagles.html) - she says she forgot a couple - I sure hope the ones she forgot were WITW and Somebody!

6. The Eagles' Heartache (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/features/2008/05/the-eagles-heartache-1.html) - brief clip of Heartache Tonight live at Stagecoach!

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Check out Desperado from Stagecoach - close up view of Don in jeans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvguH-lKNm0

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh my gosh - some more great photos!

Jackie's photos on Flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackiebutler/sets/72157604859184521/)

DonFan
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I do like Don in jeans. 8)

Great reviews and photos!

DonFan
05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
A very nice review from entertainmentoday.net:

The Eagles wound up the first day at Stagecoach with a professional polish. As with their most recent shows, they opened with a quartet of tunes from their recent sprawling double disc Long Road Out of Eden. Invariably, however, it was their hits that the crowd wanted to hear. The band delivered solidly over the ensuing 2 plus hours. “Busy Being Fabulous” was one the evening’s better new songs. “Peaceful Easy Feeling” had the evening’s most relevant lyric in “I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight.” The band’s harmonies are fully intact, and yes they still soar. “One of These Nights” proved that Henley can still hit the falsetto highs. His “Boys of Summer” was given a robust, muscular and excellent workout. During the evening he moved back and forth from his original role as the band’s drummer. Compared to his first solo tour when he looked uncomfortable at the front of the stage, Henley now stands with the rest of his guitar army band front and center.

The inevitable challenge for an artist is how far to stray from the familiar studio recordings when performing them onstage. The song that best struck the balance of mixing the new and the familiar was “Hotel California.” The song opened with an alternately melancholy and soaring trumpet solo, giving no clue about the song’s title until the album cover’s famous Beverly Hills Hotel at sunset motif was projected as the familiar opening notes were plucked. The song reached its climax with the dueling twin lead guitar workout between Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith.

Walsh’s career-long goofiness teeters on the edge of humorous and grating. Undoubtedly the band figures he is a counterbalance to the consistent earnestness of Henley. Walsh dipped into his pre-Eagles fame with the pseudo-psychedelic “Funk 49.” Glenn Frey (who with Henley are the longest-lasting members of The Eagles) works somewhere in between Henley and Walsh, handling many of the lead vocals and guitar work. Bassist Timothy B. Schmit got his start with Poco, to which The Eagles owe more of their success than they usually let on. (Likewise, The Eagles owe more to The Byrds than their common ornithological nomenclature, but that is a story for another day.) Schmitt had replaced Randy Meisner in Poco, and then Schmitt replaced Meisner in The Eagles. Schmit had the crowd swaying to his delicately addictive “I Can’t Tell You Why.”

“Desperado” closed the evening. Henley’s evocative vocals echoed across the desert sky, the lyrics still cryptically swaying between an errant cowboy and a forlorn rock star.

A new Eagles album is in the works, despite earlier promises from Henley about hell freezing over and no more albums after the current double disc on offer. Closing the first night at Stagecoach with Fogerty and The Eagles was noteworthy in that Fogerty’s CCR was once America’s best-selling band, a position later eclipsed by The Eagles. Although The Eagles made their biggest mark on the rock charts, their indebtedness to the influences of country made them a logical addition to the Stagecoach Festival.

Brooke
05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Whew! That was a marathon "let somebody looooooooooooooooooooooooove you" there in the video of Desperado! :shock:

I'm sorry Don, but I just hate that shirt. And the sleeves rolled up to the elbow with the light long sleeves underneath? It looks like he has casts on both arms! :roll: I love you, Don, but really!

Can I PLEASE take you shopping?

I'm serious!

:P

Freypower
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I wondered if someone else was going to comment on the long sleeves under Don's plaid shirt. I don't get that.

Regarding the 'let somebody l-(count to 20)ove you bit I'm afraid I find that overdone Sorry.

As for the part of the review talking about 'handling many of the lead vocals and guitar work' well, gee. I'm glad he got a mention. :roll:

carol7lynn
05-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Well I got my front row bird's eye view of the Eagles in Indio as anticipated. The Eagles were good but no magic-it was almost like watching a video. They were good but lacked the same intensity as the Nokia shows or the CA Tour 2005. No spontaneity at all-no passion. Just hit your mark, play your part and let's get 'er done Cooter. Very little interaction with the audience or each other for that matter making me wonder what was going on behind the scenes last Friday night.

Anyway here is the link to my pics/videos:
http://www2.snapfish.com/shareereg/p=98551210038896273/l=378390562/g=80028838/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB/pns/share/p=98551210038896273/l=378390562/g=80028838/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB
Some nut-case claimed to have seen Don Henley exiting the men's room after the concert at an Indio Carl's Jr on the StageCoach message board today. One girl, who tried to get next to me at the stage, claimed to be a producer on the Dr. Phil show. I guess some other scammer said she was Jenny Craig's daughter on Sunday night. They were out in droves that's for sure.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow

8)

sodascouts
05-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Just got through looking at them and watching the videos. Thanks for posting these!

Sorry the band didn't seem to be more into it. It's strange that they didn't even interact with each other much. Hope all is well.

I wish we had Carl Jr.'s here in Indiana. I go to one of them every time I'm in California - delicious! Still don't think Henley went there though. Isn't he partial to In-N-Out Burger? ;)

Freypower
05-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I have a few photos of Glenn and Joe from WireImage where the interaction seems perfectly fine.

To me, the Eagles don't particularly enjoy these festivals where they do condensed shows.

Brooke
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for those C7L. They were great.

I hope the guys aren't tired of each other already at the beginning of their new world tour! They've got a long run ahead! :?

carol7lynn
05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
For the Record: I respectfully disagree: The interaction was not "fine." I was there. You're basing your opinion on a photo-an isolated moment in time. I love the Eagles and it pains me to say anything the least bit negative about them but the truth shouldn't be compromised to be politically correct. Sorry you, don't agree.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

sodascouts
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I think we all have to defer to your judgment there, Carol-Lynn!

I know this from personal experience. I remember this one time where it was obvious to anyone who was there that Glenn was feeling miserable, but because he smiled for the cameras, some people who did no more than watch a two-minute clip on their computer screen were positive he was happy as a lark and we were all imagining it.

AzEaglesFan
05-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Since I am sorry to say I will probably never get to go to an Eagle concert unless they come to Arizona :blush: ,will one of you do me a BIG favor and see if you can see any video cameras on stage filming. If they are, we stand a chance of getting a commercial DVD like Farewell 1. I would buy one because of the great quality. Farewell 1 is a lot better than Hell Freezes Over in quality but I love the songs on both. :idea:

Mrs Frey
05-08-2008, 06:12 AM
AEF, I could be wrong, but when the crew projects the Eagles on the big screens at concerts, aren't they filming them at the same time? If that is the case, then perhaps our chances of seeing a compilation DVD hitting the shelves is good. I didn't see any other cameras on stage at the London concert I attended.

It's interesting that you feel F1 is better quality than HFO. Are you referring to the performances or the film quality? I think the video quality of HFO is excellent, as are the performances. I'm particularly partial to the close-up filming done for HFO, giving the show such an intimate feel, something which is largely missing from F1.

Mrs Frey
05-08-2008, 07:05 AM
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=1&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=eagles%20stagecoach&src=standard#1

Found these really nice pictures from last night's concert.

The rest of the guys are still wearing black, but it looks like Don is back to plaid. :? Goody, goody. :tonguewag:
I knew those black suits wouldn't last. I just wanted to be able to see them in them before they stopped wearing them. :sigh:

DF, I'm only starting to catch up with this thread now. Thank you so much for this wonderful link.

I had to laugh at your comment about Don's plaid. :rofl: Ah, but you still love him! :nod: :wink:

glenneaglesfan
05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the link to your photos and videos, C7L. I couldn't access them from my UK Snapfish log on, but I registered with another email address and have seen them now. Great pictures! Sorry to hear that they were not on the best form. When I saw them in London they were a bit stiff to start with (it was the first night of their current 'tour'), but soon loosened up and were enjoying themselves.

AzEF, I too hope they might make a dvd. I'm looking on the positive side that that is why they are removing videos from YouTube.

AzEaglesFan
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I meant just the film quality. The Eagles themselves are always in top form as far as I'm concerned. The color and sound is a lot better on F1. BUT I listen to it on a portable DVD player so that may have something to do with it. If they do put out a DVD, I hope it doesn't take them a couple of years to get it ready for market. Didn't they wait quite a while before F1 came out??? :?

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I would LOVE to see a video of LROOE 'best moments' or an entire gig filmed, whatever gives the best format. Once they DON'T show the crazy pair with the kiddie in the second row at the first London gig. :lol:

Freypower
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I meant just the film quality. The Eagles themselves are always in top form as far as I'm concerned. The color and sound is a lot better on F1. BUT I listen to it on a portable DVD player so that may have something to do with it. If they do put out a DVD, I hope it doesn't take them a couple of years to get it ready for market. Didn't they wait quite a while before F1 came out??? :?

I agree that FI is better in terms of both sound quality and the visuals. Yes, there are a lot of closeups in HFO, but when Glenn is filmed in particular he always seems to have that unflattering bright red lighting behind him, whereas in F1 the lighting is mainly dark.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Sorry I'm late here, but Carol-Lynn thanks for your review and pictures of the show. They are much appreciated.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that all of the Eagles live shows are filmed. I would not be at all surprised to see a LROOE DVD released down the road. AzEF - sorry you can't get to an Eagles show. I always think it really enhances the "fan experience" to see live shows. The DVD's are great, but they can never replace the experience of actually being there, IMHO.

sodascouts
05-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Here's an interesting video - it's a slideshow of photos from the Stagecoach Festival set to a medley of Eagles songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckG0l8jEL1A