PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

sodascouts
04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Time for Glenn Frey Solo Song Survivor, where we vote off Glenn’s Greatest Hits until we get to the last one standing!

Note: VOTING CLOSES AT 8:00 EASTERN TIME EVERY OTHER NIGHT, starting Tuesday, April 22.

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs from The Solo Collection here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

For this Survivor, we also have immunity questions. We won't have immunity questions on the first or second-to-last-rounds, and of course we won't have them for the last round, lol. However, for the other rounds, we will.

Here's how immunity questions work. After the beginning of the round, I ask a Frey-related question. The first person who answers the question correctly gets to pick a remaining song to be immune - no one can vote for it on the next round. I'll allow until 2:00 am Eastern for someone to answer. If no one gets it right by then, then we continue the round as normal without any song being immune. You only get one guess per round, so be careful!

The winner of the Solo Collection Survivor is...

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU!

Congratulations PART OF ME, PART OF YOU.

Voted off:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed 4/30
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12
This Way to Happiness 5/14
True Love 5/16
River of Dreams 5/18
Smuggler's Blues 5/20
You Belong to the City 5/22

The game is over.

Thanks for playing.

sodascouts
04-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, at least the first round is easy for me - Rising Sun, as pretty as it is, is just a little appetizer, not the main course. It should go first.

I cast my vote for Rising Sun.

Freypower
04-22-2008, 08:08 PM
YAY!

I agree with you Soda. Rising Sun is an effective piece of music but I really don't know what it is doing on this CD.

So I cast my vote for Rising Sun.

Mrs Frey
04-23-2008, 02:14 AM
I cast my vote for "Rising Sun".

I must say, though, that I love the way this track almost runs into "Brave New World" - it's almost like a calm before the storm, given the subject matter of "Brave New World". I suppose I've also just got used to the running order of the two songs on "Strange Weather", which is the same, so I like listening to them back to back.

Glennsallnighter
04-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Well I ranked the SC songs (or tried to) in order the other day and boy was it hard! The top 5 or so keep changing. But I did rank 'Rising Sun' at number 16. Not that it is a lightweight and I DO like Glenn' :heart: s instrumentals immensely, but it would never hole up against the 'bigguns' later on.

So I cast my vote for 'Rising Sun'

Why do I feel like I'll be saying 'Sorry Glenn :heart:' a lot over the next few weeks?

Claire
04-23-2008, 06:52 AM
I cast my vote for Rising Sun too, though as MF said, it's kind of a great intro for Brave New World. But it's a pity that it's too short, and it hasn't really grown on me...

timfan
04-23-2008, 07:21 AM
I cast my vote for Rising Sun

It's gonna get ALOT more difficult now.... as I LOVE all the songs on this album! :D

scottside
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
I cast my vote for "Rising Sun," also, but for me it was a toss up between this one, "Big Life" and "Delicious."

Ive always been a dreamer
04-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Welcome back, Scott. Good grief - asking me to pick my least favorites off of Strange Weather would be just as hard as this is going to be. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to vote for here. I'll be back later. :wink:

Mrs Frey
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I cast my vote for "Rising Sun," also, but for me it was a toss up between this one, "Big Life" and "Delicious."

Scottside, I'm a little confused. "Big Life" and "Delicious" are on the "Strange Weather" album. We're voting for songs on the "Solo Collection". :?: :wink:

scottside
04-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Scottside, I'm a little confused. "Big Life" and "Delicious" are on the "Strange Weather" album. We're voting for songs on the "Solo Collection". :?: :wink:

Whoops....sorry! Wrong album...for some strange reason I had STRANGE WEATHER in my head as I had played it all the way through the day before...

Brooke
04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I cast my vote for Rising Sun also.

The rest is going to be hard.

04-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Okay - no surprize here. I thought Rising Sun would be the first to go. I like Soda's description, and I agree that 'appetizer' should be the first to go. For me, it is also almost like the beginning of Brave New World instead of a separate song. I don't think I've ever heard Brave New World without hearing Rising Sun precede it.

Since the outcome of this round appears to be determined, I'll deploy some strategy.

I cast my vote for Brave New World.

I like this song a lot, but something has got to go, and it's probably one of my least favorites. :cry:

glenneaglesfan
04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been listening to this again in my car, and this is going to be a toughie. This is the first Glenn solo album that I bought and it just left me wanting more. I love the way he has included his most successful hits with four songs which haven't appeared on other albums.

Dreamer, I am inclined to agree with you about Brave New World. It may be where it's situated on this album - it's a bit downbeat after POMPOY and ROD. I prefer listening to it on Strange Weather.

I'm going to buck the trend here too. I don't skip tracks on cds normally, but if one of the boys is in the car I would skip Sexy Girl, just because of the lyrics. It has grown on me, but I'd feel it was hard to sell to other people.

I cast my vote for Sexy Girl

sodascouts
04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Sexy Girl is definitely inferior to the dramatic and sweeping Brave New World, which I love. I have a bad feeling that because we have no link to it, folks might not remember how awesome it is, and it'll go early. I find it highly underrated and I'm so glad he included it on this collection, even if it didn't make it onto the Millennium Collection.

sodascouts
04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
The first song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Rising Sun. “Rising Sun,” might as well set, because you have been voted off the island by a landslide. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Rising Sun – 8
Brave New World – 1
Sexy Girl – 1

Vote Breakdown
Rising Sun – SodaScouts
Rising Sun – Freypower
Rising Sun – Mrs. Frey
Rising Sun – Glennsallnighter
Rising Sun – Claire
Rising Sun – timfan
Rising Sun – scottside
Rising Sun – Brooke
Brave New World – Ive always been a dreamer
Sexy Girl – glenneaglesfan

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun – 4/24

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed
Common Ground
Call on Me
The One You Love
Sexy Girl
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 2 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song(s) reached #2 on Billboard, the highest chart position of any solo Eagle song?

Please include both your answer and the song you wish to be immune.

sodascouts
04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, since no one has answered the question, let's just move on to the next round. No song is immune.

I cast my vote for Sexy Girl.

Too repetitive.

Mrs Frey
04-25-2008, 01:52 AM
The answer to your question is "The Heat Is On", but it seems I'm just too late! :wink:

I cast my vote for "Common Ground". It's not that I don't like the song, but Glenn :heart: doesn't sing this one as beautifully as he does the remaining songs, in my opinion. The usual passion, heart and soul seems to be missing.

This will be the last vote I'll be able to put in for a while :( , so I hope you all enjoy the game while I'm away!

Freypower
04-25-2008, 04:38 AM
The answer was both The Heat Is On and You Belong To The City, but I haven't been able to get to the computer until now.

MF, I must disagree that the 'passion, heart and soul' is missing from Common Ground. I think it is one of Glenn's finest ever performances.

I cast my vote for Sexy Girl. I think the song has aged better than expected but it remains fundamentally trivial, and repetitive, as Soda said.

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2008, 05:49 AM
I knew that answer too, but again as I'm in Europe would have been asleep when you set it Soda!! :( . I'l have to stay up late some night. Is there any way we could change the immunity rule so that some of us over here would be able to answer when we login in the mornings? :pray: :pray: :pray:

If its against the rules, no worries.

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Sexy girl is NOT one of my favourites by any stretch of the imagination, but in 1984 was probably the first of Glenn :heart: 's songs to make a mark over here and I suppose introduce him as a solo singer to Irish audiences. It brings back some rather fond reminisences, so I can't let it go just yet.

I actually love Brave New World which if I remember correctly was based on the Stephen King novel 'The Stand' which I read nearly 20 years ago and I think was one of the finest books I ever read.
(or maybe I just love hearing Glenn :heart: sing 'Darlin' :wink: )

I'm going to vote here to eliminate 'I've got Mine'. Its just a song I never took to as well as his other solo efforts.

scottside
04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I cast my vote for "Sexy Girl," also. I never liked the verses and especially the chorus although the bridge does redeem it some.

sodascouts
04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Freypower - you got it - it's both The Heat Is On and You Belong to the City.

I'd like to leave the immunity questions open longer - the problem is that I have to be awake to tell if the answer is correct or not so that the round can move forward.

Perhaps I can stay up later though. We'll move the deadline for the answer from 12:00 am Eastern time to 2:00 am Eastern time. If you get up early enough, you can answer it!

04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
The problem with this Soda is that when I have to back you up, there is no way I can stay up until 2:00 a.m. on a work night. Would it help to move the cutoff time for each round to 6:00 p.m. EST and make the cutoff for the immunity question either 8:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m.?

sodascouts
04-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I thought of that, dreamer, and I figure you'll never have to back me up THAT late. You back me up when I go out for the evening or something, but I'll certainly be back by that time, so we can switch off if need be. You go to bed and I'll maintain the vigil.

I think it's too complicated to move the cut-off time now that people have gotten used to 8:00, whereas leaving the question open a little longer shouldn't effect anything that much.

timfan
04-25-2008, 09:58 PM
This is the hardest song survivor YET!! I LOVE :D all the songs on this album!

But if I have to choose....

I cast my vote for Sexy Girl Tho it's great, of all the songs on the album; it does sound somewhat dated and 80's-ish.

glenneaglesfan
04-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Yes, I agree, Tf, this is very tough. MF, I'm surprised you think Glenn lacks passion in Common Ground. I find it a very moving song with a real depth of feeling.

I'm going to stick with my previous round, and cast my vote for Sexy Girl.

Brooke
04-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I cast my vote for Sexy Girl Tho it's great, of all the songs on the album; it does sound somewhat dated and 80's-ish.

I agree. I also cast my vote for Sexy Girl.

04-26-2008, 12:11 PM
As for myself, I absolutely love Common Ground and I've Got Mine. They are two of my favorites, but they will probably won't hang around long in the game. I am going to be really sad to see either of them go. (But then, I'm going to be sad to see all of them go).

Once again, it appears that the outcome of this round has already been determined and I agree that Sexy Girl should be the next song to go. As Soda said, the chorus is too repetitive, but as Scott mentioned, the bridge is very catchy. But since I don't need to vote for Sexy Girl, I'm going to stick with my same choice.

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Its amazing how we all differ isn't it! BNW is one of my favourites!!

Freypower
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Circumstances may make it difficult for me to be here for the immunity deadlines this week. I will try but I am not sure if I will make it or not.

I just want to make a quick comment on Brave New World. It is a 'sleeper'. It just grows and grows on you. I know it was inspired by Stephen King's The Stand but I always think he had the war in Bosnia in mind as well (or maybe he did). It has a really uplifting melody and an urgent and committed vocal. It probably is not the sort of song casual listeners associate with Glenn (but nor is anything else from that magnificent album. I hope we do a Survivor for it and the other solo albums, and Don's solo albums at least).

sodascouts
04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Its amazing how we all differ isn't it! BNW is one of my favourites!!

One of mine, too!

04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Sexy Girl. “Sexy Girl”, you must quit holding on to your dream and please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Sexy Girl – 6
Common Ground – 1
I’ve Got Mine – 1
Brave New World – 1

Vote Breakdown
Sexy Girl– SodaScouts
Sexy Girl – Freypower
Sexy Girl – scottside
Sexy Girl – timfan
Sexy Girl – glenneaglesfan
Sexy Girl – Brooke
Common Ground – Mrs. Frey
I’ve Got Mine – Glennsallnighter
Brave New World – ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Common Ground
Call on Me
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 3 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song(s) on the Solo Collection album were not co-written by Glenn Frey?

Freypower
04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Dreamer, that was the line I had in mind for SG if it was eliminated -you're holding onto a dream if you think you can win this game.

The answer to this is The Heat Is On & Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed, and as I've praised Brave New World, I would like it to be immune.

04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
You are correct, FP!

Brave New World is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND THREE BEGINS NOW.

scottside
04-27-2008, 08:42 AM
I cast my vote for "Call On Me" this time, but I do so reluctantly. I just couldn't fine something else that I felt that should go first...

Brooke
04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I cast my vote for Common Ground this time. It just seems a bit, uh, common?!

I really hope I've Got Mine stays around a while longer. I just love the guitar in it.

04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Scott - I totally agree with you here. Plus, as I already said, I just love Common Ground and think it is one of Glenn's best solo vocal performances ever. As far as I've Got Mine, it has special significance to me and I think it is a great song.

I cast my vote for Call on Me.

Dreamer, that was the line I had in mind for SG if it was eliminated -you're holding onto a dream if you think you can win this game.

This made me laugh, FP. I think that is the best line in the song, and I like your take on it better than mine. :D

timfan
04-27-2008, 07:04 PM
This is a TOUGH Song Survivor! :?

I do love all the songs on this CD. As I love the sentiment of Common Ground :

I cast my vote for Call On Me

Freypower
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Damn! I KNEW I should have made Call On Me immune, as it's a song I absolutely love and I probably won't be able to make the deadline tomorrow.

I cast my vote for Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed which I consider the least distinguished of the 'new' songs here, and yet this is the one he plays live.

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2008, 08:35 AM
This is a flying visit! I've been at the Doctors all morning as my son injured his toe yesterday evening. They think its not broken but could be fractured!

Just in case I don't get back today, I'll stick with my nomination from last round. I vote for 'I've got mine' to go.

For the record its not that I think its particularly bad or anything - I love ALL Glenn :heart: 's solo stuff! Its juat that I didn't initially take to it in the same way as I did to the others. :D

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2008, 08:12 PM
OK! I tried! I stayed up to try to have a go at the immunity question, but I must have mixed up my times. I'm dropping now! Its after 1am here!! Maybe another night!

:D :D :D Goodnight sisters, Rock yourselves to sleep!! :D :D :D

sodascouts
04-28-2008, 08:12 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Call on Me. “Call on Me”, I guess there's no one else to turn to now. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Call on Me - 3
Common Ground – 1
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - 1
I’ve Got Mine – 1

Vote Breakdown
Call on Me - scottside
Call on Me - Ive always been a dreamer
Call on Me - timfan
Common Ground – Brooke
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - Freypower

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Common Ground
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 4 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which of the songs on this album have had videos made for them (not counting live videos)?

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Would it be

Sexy Girl
You Belong to the city
I've got Mine
Smugglers Blues
The One you Love
True Love
Soul Searchin'
POMPOY
River Of Dreams
I've Got Mine

I'm only going on what I think I've actually seen

In the unlikely event that I DO get this one right I would like Brave New World to be immune.

sodascouts
04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry GA, that's close but not quite right.

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
No Worries! :D There were one or two that I wasn't sure about whether to include or exclude!!

Freypower
04-28-2008, 10:59 PM
OOH! Have I made it? I rushed home from town just in case...

Sexy Girl
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams

Anyway, what a bummer that Call On Me is gone. I think it's a classic. If this is right I would like Common Ground to be immune this time. What a shame more people aren't participating.

sodascouts
04-28-2008, 11:01 PM
You got it, FP!

COMMON GROUND is immune for this round.

Round 4 beings now.

Freypower
04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
And I again cast my vote for Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed.

sodascouts
04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I'll go with you this time.

I cast my vote for Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed.

glenneaglesfan
04-29-2008, 02:47 AM
I'm sorry I missed the last round, and that Call On Me has gone. I'm going to have trouble getting to the computer - my laptop died completely last night, with a whole lot on unbacked up stuff on it, I'm using the main one now, but I have very limited access to this. Bummer.

Anyway, with great reluctance I'm going to vote for The One You Love.

scottside
04-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I cast my vote for WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED also.

Claire
04-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Sorry, I missed the two last rounds :? !
I cast my vote for The One You Love.

Brooke
04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I cast my vote for Who's Been Sleepin' In My Bed also.

timfan
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I cast my vote for The One You Love

Glennsallnighter
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't want to see WBSIMB gone just yet, but I don't want to see TOYL gone either.

I'm listening to POMPOY which has just come onto my radio

Inspiration Glenn :heart: .........PLEASE!!

'Still I have to choose which way to vote' :pray: :pray: :pray:

OK! I can't vote for either of these. I know its not in the running to be eliminated this round. However my vote may have a strategic significance later, so I'll stick with my least favourite off this album.

I cast my vote for 'I've got Mine'

sodascouts
04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Come on guys! Glenn didn't even write WBSIMB!

Save The One You Love! Vote WBSIMB!

Glennsallnighter
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Come on guys! Glenn didn't even write WBSIMB!

Save The One You Love! Vote WBSIMB!

But I LOVE the way he sings it! However I also love TOYL and its gorgeous sax intro........Mmmmm!

Thats why I just couldn't vote for either!!

04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Well it is very hard to play this game when you don't want to see any of the songs eliminated. :wink: It looks like WBSIMB is going to be the victim of love this time around. I think I am going to stick with strategy again.

sodascouts
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
The fourth song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed. “Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed" - leave immediately before we call up the hospital and reserve a bed in your name!

Votes
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - 4
The One You Love - 3
I’ve Got Mine – 1
Brave New World - 1

Vote Breakdown
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - Freypower
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - SodaScouts
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - scottside
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - Brooke
The One You Love - glenneaglesfan
The One You Love - Claire
The One You Love - timfan
Brave New World - Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Common Ground
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 5 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which of these songs appeared ORIGINALLY on a soundtrack?

Perfect Little Sister
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
OK...I suck at these things, but I'll try. Oh no! That means i have to vote against one of "my babies"! :shock: lol

Is it The Heat Is On and Part of Me, Part of You? If so, I'd like Brave New World to be immune. (i love the way he sings you'll always be my girl :blush: )

sodascouts
04-30-2008, 08:30 PM
You're so close, but no cigar! I'm sorry, PLS. Thanks for giving it a shot!

Perfect Little Sister
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
LOL! I warned you i suck at these things.

Freypower
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
The Heat Is On was on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack while You Belong To The City was on the Miami Vice soundtrack. I don't know if POMPOY was on the Thelma And Louise soundtrack before or after it appeared on Strange Weather. I thought it was before, because of the different production credits (Don Was).

If this is right.... gee, I don't know whether I should be changing the 'immune' song each time or not. No, in this case I think I'll protect Brave New World and ask for it to be immune.

sodascouts
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Excellent, FP! You are correct!

BRAVE NEW WORLD is immune.

Voting for Round 5 starts now.

Freypower
04-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't want to monopolise these questions.... so much for me thinking I wouldn't make today's deadline. Oh well!

This is now officially impossible. I notice there have been a couple of votes for TOYL, which is interesting.

With the greatest reluctance I cast my vote for I've Got Mine. THe Dublin version rocks. I can't say that I'm totally enthralled by the original version when I compare it with the remaining songs here.

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2008, 05:42 AM
LOL! I warned you i suck at these things.

Don't worry PLS! I do too!

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2008, 05:45 AM
I don't want to monopolise these questions.... so much for me thinking I wouldn't make today's deadline. Oh well!

This is now officially impossible. I notice there have been a couple of votes for TOYL, which is interesting.

With the greatest reluctance I cast my vote for I've Got Mine. THe Dublin version rocks. I can't say that I'm totally enthralled by the original version when I compare it with the remaining songs here.

Yes, Thats how I feel as well FP. Its not that its a bad song either. Its just that when put up against the others it's not quite as good.

I'll stick with it and vote for 'I've got mine' for this round!

It really IS getting difficult now!

scottside
05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I vote for THIS WAY TO HAPPINESS.

Claire
05-01-2008, 09:40 AM
I cast my vote for The One You Love again... :)

timfan
05-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I cast my vote for "I've Got Mine"

05-01-2008, 10:38 AM
:stop: NO! NO! NO! Not I've Got Mine - not yet. It is a wonderful song.

I think I'm gonna :weep: and :cuss: and :fainted:

sodascouts
05-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm with dreamer - we have to save I've Got Mine! But I don't want to vote for This Way to Happiness or The One You Love either! Oh the anguish!

Since I can't vote for any of those....

I cast my vote for Common Ground.

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm with dreamer - we have to save I've Got Mine! But I don't want to vote for This Way to Happiness or The One You Love either! Oh the anguish!

Since I can't vote for any of those....

I know how you feel about TWTH Soda! Its such a ...well....happy :D song.

Brooke
05-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I cast my vote for Common Ground, too.

The rest is going to be really hard for me. I'm going to have to listen to them over and over to try to decide. Oh, the pain! :wink: :laugh:

Brooke
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I forgot to add a thought about CG.

In the line
Suddenly a man stepped forward
And he looked at all around

I thought he sang And he look ted all around :roll: I just couldn't figure out why he was singing it like that! I finally looked up the lyrics here today and I see it's looked at all around! :blush: :roll:

It's good I can laugh at myself! I should have known Glenn better!

Perfect Little Sister
05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Sigh...I came in to cast a vote and I can't pick one. I'm hopeless. lol I'll try again later. It's just so hard to choose when I love them all. :roll:

Freypower
05-02-2008, 06:25 PM
'Suddenly a man stepped forward
And he looked at all around
He said 'this is my band,
But we all stand on common ground'....

Couldn't resist it.
:twisted:

I love the song, I think it is so uplifting and it tells a great story, but then so does This Way To Happiness.

Perfect Little Sister
05-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Ugh. Well...I guess I'll vote for I've Got Mine as it doesn't move me the way the others do. Sniff...sob...I'm sorry IGM! :wink:

05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I repeat - I think I'm gonna :weep: and :cuss: and :fainted:

I love I've Got Mine, but then I didn't want Common Ground to be eliminated either. :brickwall: And even though I really don't want this one to be eliminated either:

Freypower
05-02-2008, 08:12 PM
One slight problem, Dreamer, Brave New World is immune this round.

05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for reminding me FP. My vote will not count.

05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is I’ve Got Mine. “I’ve Got Mine”, it sure doesn’t feel good sitting where you are tonight so please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
I’ve Got Mine – 4
Common Ground – 2
The One You Love – 1
This Way to Happiness – 1

Vote Breakdown
I’ve Got Mine – Freypower
I’ve Got Mine – timfan
I’ve Got Mine – Perfect Little Sister
Common Ground – SodaScouts
Common Ground – Brooke
The One You Love – Claire
This Way to Happiness – scottside

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Common Ground
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 6 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

How many songs on the Solo Collection album were co-written with Jack Tempchin?

Freypower
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
14 out of the 16 tracks were co-written with Tempchin (Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed is by Tempchin and Bobby Whitlock).

I see that Common Ground may be in danger. I would like it to be immune.

05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Great job, FP! That is exactly right!

COMMON GROUND is immune.

Voting for Round 6 starts now.

Freypower
05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm nothing if not accurate. :blush:

OK, well, I have no desire to see This Way To Happiness go yet because I love it (I know I keep saying that).

So I'm afraid I cast my vote for The Heat Is On. Yes, it's a great song. I still enjoy hearing it. He sings it superbly. But.... there are better songs here.

timfan
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I cast my vote for The Heat Is On

glenneaglesfan
05-03-2008, 07:44 AM
I really don't want to vote off any of these songs. I know he didn't write The Heat Is On, but it is the only solo song that ever gets any airplay here, and for that reason it deserves to stay in longer. Thanks for saving Common Ground for this round, FP.
dreamer, I'm sorry I've Got Mine has gone - I know it means a lot to you.

Oh well, gulp, I cast my vote for Brave New World.

scottside
05-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I vote for BRAVE NEW WORLD.

sodascouts
05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
The Heat Is On is so much fun and before I even knew Glenn Frey was ever in the Eagles, I knew of him as "The guy who did The Heat Is On and You Belong to the City." It's GOT to stay. On the other hand, Brave New World is one of my favorites.

I reluctantly cast my vote for Soul Searchin'.

It's not as exciting and/or compelling as the other songs on the list (with the exception of Common Ground, which is immune).

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I couldn't vote for THIO either or at least not at this early satge. It is a song that helped me through a particularly rough patch in the mid 80's, before I even knew much about Glenn :heart: himself!!

GEF, they play POMPOY over here a bit on 'my' radio station.

This is so hard - Its like trying to choose your favourite of your kids - you just cant!!

I've been thinking about this all day and have made up my mind to vote off 'Soul Searchin' for this round :( . Not that I don't like it or anything but with CG immune I just prefer the others.

05-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your sympathetic words, GEF. Last round, I was so bombed about I've Got Mine being eliminated that I couldn't even think straight - I even voted for the song that was immune. :roll: :wink:

And I agree that The Heat Is On is Glenn's most recognizable solo hit. It's a classic that has become an anthem for sporting events and weather reports. It doesn't deserve to go yet. Oh well - I don't think it's any secret what I will be voting for this time. Hopefully, this is the last time I have to vote for this song.

BTW - Even though I've been pulling for Brave New World to be eliminated, it's a great song and I like it a lot. I just don't like it as well as the others.

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
The sixth song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Brave New World. “Brave New World,” I’m sure somehow you will find the strength to stand up on your own, but right now you have to leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Brave New World – 3
The Heat Is On – 2
Soul Searchin’ – 2

Vote Breakdown
Brave New World – glenneaglesfan
Brave New World – scottside
Brave New World – Ive always been a dreamer
The Heat Is On – Freypower
The Heat Is On – timfan
Soul Searchin’ – sodascouts
Soul Searchin’ – Glennsallnighter

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Common Ground
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 7 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which of the songs on this album had videos where you can see someone who was, is, and/or would be a wife of Glenn Frey?

timfan
05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I'll give it a go :) .The only video of a on this album that Glenn's current, former or future wife has a part in is River of Dreams

If i am correct I would like Soul Searchin' to be immune

sodascouts
05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm afraid that's incorrect, but thanks for trying!

Freypower
05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
This is getting embarrassing for me but anyway....

Janie Frey appears in Smugglers' Blues and as TF said, Cindy Frey appears in River Of Dreams.

I will change now for variety's sake and ask for River Of Dreams to be immune.

sodascouts
05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Edit: Sorry guys, it's late (or should I say early lol) and I had a brain fart.

Freypower's answer is, as usual, 100% correct.

River of Dreams is immune. Voting for Round 7 begins NOW.

sodascouts
05-05-2008, 02:14 AM
OK, now I can finally vote for the one I feel needs to go next!

Good, but not as good as what's left.

Mrs Frey
05-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised at the last two songs eliminated while I was away. :shock: :shock:

I cast my vote for "Common Ground".

scottside
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I vote for COMMON GROUND also.

timfan
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I cast my vote for Common Ground

Brooke
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm bummed about I've Got Mine being cast out, too, dreamer. I love it.

And somehow I missed the last round! :shock:

Ok, I'll go with the flow and cast my vote for Common Ground again.

Glennsallnighter
05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd have known the Immunity question as well! Its just I can't manaage to make the timimg. With Hubby off this month I can't manufacture excuses to stay up as late as I do when he's working... :brickwall:

Ah well..........

As Soda says, Common Ground is good but I would agree not as good as whats left, so I too might as well vote for Common Ground.

Freypower
05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I think Common Ground is an incredibly uplifting song. I love every minute of it. As I know my vote probably won't make a difference this round I cast my vote for The Heat Is On again.

05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
FP, I totally agree with you about Common Ground. I absolutely love the song. It is funny how we all view things differently because this is one song where I scratch my head and say to myself "I don't get it, why doesn't everybody like this song as much as I do?" But anyway, as they say the world would be a boring place if we all thought alike. Anyway, I can't believe what I am actually getting ready to type, but here goes ...

sodascouts
05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
The seventh song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Common Ground. “Common Ground,” there is no turning back. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Common Ground – 6
The Heat Is On – 1
The One You Love – 1

Vote Breakdown
Common Ground – SodaScouts
Common Ground – Mrs. Frey
Common Ground – scottside
Common Ground – timfan
Common Ground – Brooke
Common Ground – Glennsallnighter
The Heat Is On – Freypower
The One You Love – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 8 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Name one song that was released as a single, but was not put on this collection.

Freypower
05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Livin' Right (I still have my copy).

I would again like River Of Dreams to be immune.

sodascouts
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
That's right.

River of Dreams is immune.

Round Eight Begins Now.

sodascouts
05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
OK, I'm once again going to go with Soul Searchin'. Lovely song and sentiment, but not as energizing and/or vocally powerful as the others.

I cast my vote for Soul Searchin'.

Freypower
05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I think I was probably wrong to vote for THIO because after all, it is one of the very few songs here that I have seen performed live. So I might go with Soda here and cast my vote for Soul Searchin'.

Mrs Frey
05-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Oh boy. This is getting really tough.

I cast my vote for "Soul Searchin'". :cry: :cry: :cry:

scottside
05-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I cast my vote for SOUL SEARCHIN' also.

Glennsallnighter
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I also cast my vote for 'Soul Searchin'.

glenneaglesfan
05-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Sorry I missed the last round. I'm sad Common Ground has gone, but it's so hard to eliminate any of the last few. It seems as if Soul Searchin' is going this time. I love this song. The chorus comes into my head at times, and you probably all know how much I love the video!

Reluctantly, I still cast my vote for The One You Love

timfan
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Mrs Frey
05-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Sorry I missed the last round. I'm sad Common Ground has gone, but it's so hard to eliminate any of the last few. It seems as if Soul Searchin' is going this time. I love this song. The chorus comes into my head at times, and you probably all know how much I love the video!
Reluctantly, I still cast my vote for The One You Love

I love the video too, GEF. I think I voted it Glenn's :heart: sexiest video. It pains me to vote for the song. :cry: It's one of my favourites.

Brooke
05-08-2008, 04:21 PM
I just love Soul Searchin'. I can't vote for it yet.

I cast my vote for The Heat is On.

05-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I love Soul Searchin' too, but it appears to be doomed. Of all the songs that are left, my least favorite is The One You Love. It is a gorgeous song, but it doesn't move me as much as the others.

BTW, I am going to post the results of this round for Soda later this evening. However, I will probably be late because I have a meeting to attend tonight. I'll post them ASAP. Thanks.

sodascouts
05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Guys, I got back early, so I'll go ahead and tabulate the results. I'll give them in 5 minutes.

sodascouts
05-08-2008, 08:17 PM
The eighth song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Soul Searchin'. “Soul Searchin',” I'm afraid you've been washed away. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Soul Searchin' - 5
The Heat Is On - 2
The One You Love - 2

Vote Breakdown
Soul Searchin' - SodaScouts
Soul Searchin' - Freypower
Soul Searchin' - Mrs. Frey
Soul Searchin' - scottside
Soul Searchin' - Glennsallnighter
The One You Love - glenneaglesfan
The One You Love – Ive always been a dreamer
The Heat Is On - timfan
The Heat Is On - Brooke

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 9 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which of the songs on the Solo Collection can be found on an officially released Eagles concert DVD?

Freypower
05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
You Belong To The City, and that's it. Don't get me started.

I will stick with River Of Dreams to be immune for one more round. I honestly didn't want to monopolise these questions. If I left it, however, I don't know if anyone else would answer.

sodascouts
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I hear ya, FP. Katherine had this same problem in the Henley Survivor!

You're right - just YBTTC, although the Eagles have played The Heat Is On and Smuggler's Blues live in the past. They just never made it to an official DVD.

RIVER OF DREAMS is immune.

Voting for Round 9 beings NOW.

Freypower
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
OK... well.... with reluctance I have to cast my vote for This Way To Happiness.

Having said that this is one of the more heartfelt songs on this CD. Listen to the second verse:

'Seems like I'spend my whole life running
Running away from what I can be
On some endless road south of nowhere
Always moving but never really free'

He sings this with such intensity that I can't help feeling that there is some self-expression here and he isn't just telling a story. The same goes for the 'I've rolled this rig from coast to coast' part.

Has anyone noticed the part about

Suddenly I found myself callin' to the heavens above
"Please send me someone to love"

is very similar to Don in Everything Is Different Now:

I dropped down and I called out to heaven
send me someone to love.
And heaven shot back, you get the love that you allow.
And everything is different now

sodascouts
05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes, I"ve noticed that about the lyrics, FP. And the way he sings "I could hear the angels call" and "Lord, I've been searching for what seems like forever now" - it blows me away. I think it's one of his strongest vocals.

This is painful, but...

I cast my vote for True Love.

His vocal on it is amazing and I LOVE the effect of the full stop, but I like the others better.

Mrs Frey
05-09-2008, 04:20 AM
:shock: Oh no, not "True Love"! Oh, please, NOT "True Love"!! :cry:

I cast my vote for "The One You Love". :weep:

Ouch, that really hurt.

Mrs Frey
05-09-2008, 04:22 AM
... and "Lord, I've been searching for what seems like forever now" - it blows me away. I think it's one of his strongest vocals.

That is my favourite line in "This Way To Happiness", Soda.

Glennsallnighter
05-09-2008, 06:50 AM
We are at the half way stage I see! 8 gone and 8 left. And interestingly as well before we started this I made a list of the top 8 and the bottom 8. There is only one song in the top 8 and one in the bottom 8 that disagrees with my prediction. Of course putting the 8 left in order of how they will be voted off will be a lot harder.

I couldn't vote to eliminate TWTH! It is just such a happy 'feel good' song. And once again Glenn :heart: sings about those angels :D

I'm voting off 'The One You Love' this round. It is lovely and I love the sax intro. I just prefer more what the other songs have to offer.

scottside
05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I cast my vote for TRUE LOVE this time.

Brooke
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I will stick with The Heat is On this round. It's a great song, but it just doesn't have the meaning and heartfelt delivery as the others. jmo

TWTH is such a feel good song and I love all those lyrics. TOYL is a great slow dance song. :wink:

And by most of the songs left, can't you just tell what a romantic, passionate, and loving guy Glenn is? He's a woman's man, but he's also a man's man with the way he loves sports! :nod: :heart:

glenneaglesfan
05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
No, True Love can't go yet!

Mrs Frey
05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
I will stick with The Heat is On this round. It's a great song, but it just doesn't have the meaning and heartfelt delivery as the others. jmo

TWTH is such a feel good song and I love all those lyrics. TOYL is a great slow dance song. :wink:

And by most of the songs left, can't you just tell what a romantic, passionate, and loving guy Glenn is? He's a woman's man, but he's also a man's man with the way he loves sports! :nod: :heart:

Brooke, I agree with you about THIO lacking the meaning that the other songs have for Glenn :heart:, but I'm just sold on the way he SINGS that song. His vocals are flawless!

And yes, Sugar certainly is romantic, passionate and loving. Sigh. Can't we clone him? Then we could each have ourselves a Glenn :heart:. :wink:

Mind you, I like my sport too, so that's just another plus for me! :nod: :D

timfan
05-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Glennsallnighter
05-10-2008, 04:51 PM
And yes, Sugar certainly is romantic, passionate and loving. Sigh. Can't we clone him? Then we could each have ourselves a Glenn :heart:. :wink:

Mind you, I like my sport too, so that's just another plus for me! :nod: :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: MF! But what a brilliant :idea:

05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Well as sad as it is, it looks like The One You Love is about to be eliminated. I agree it's time has come. However, since it doesn't need my vote, I will make another strategic move.

I cast my vote for Smuggler's Blues.

And OBTW -cloning Glenn - hmmmm!!!!! :nod: :nod:

05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor Survivor is The One You Love. “The One You Love’”, our hearts keep sayin' it's just not fair, but still we had to make up our minds. You must please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
The One You Love – 3
True Love – 2
The Heat Is On – 2
This Way to Happiness – 1
Smuggler's Blues – 1

Vote Breakdown
The One You Love – Mrs. Frey
The One You Love – Glennsallnighter
The One You Love – glennseaglesfan
True Love – SodaScouts
True Love – scottside
The Heat Is On– Brooke
The Heat Is On – timfan
This Way to Happiness – Freypower
Smuggler's Blues – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 10 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which one of Glenn’s solo albums has the least number of songs represented on the Solo Collection?

Freypower
05-10-2008, 08:08 PM
That's easy - the first album, No Fun Aloud, which is represented by The One You Love.

Regarding TOYL being eliminated, much as I love it it was probably time for it to go.

Now I need to protect True Love. I want it to be immune.

05-10-2008, 08:21 PM
You're right, FP. I thought it was strange that Glenn didn't include either I Found Somebody, Party Town, or even All Those Lies from No Fun Aloud on this album.

TRUE LOVE is immune.

Voting for Round 10 begins NOW.

sodascouts
05-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow, it's really getting down to it!

I cast my vote for The Heat Is On.

It's a fun song and I love it - and I love how it ALWAYS get the audiences going live - but he didn't write it, and something has to go....

timfan
05-11-2008, 07:41 AM

scottside
05-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I vote for THIS WAY TO HAPPINESS.

glenneaglesfan
05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, this is so hard now.

I looks as if The Heat Is On is going out, so I'm going to vote tactically and vote for Smuggler's Blues.

Freypower
05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes, my momentary sentimentality about The Heat Is On is gone.

I cast my vote for The Heat Is On.

sodascouts
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
What are you guys thinking, voting for Smuggler's Blues already?!!! It rocks HARD!!!! I know it's a strategic vote, but still!

05-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Well all I can say is I'd rather see Smuggler's Blue go down rather than The Heat Is On. Even though Glenn didn't write it, the song rocks and it is a classic. It's by far, Glenn's best known solo song and according to Glenn has "put a lot of red wine in his cellar". As I said earlier, it has become an anthem for weather stations and sporting events. It deserves to be in the top five in this game, IMO. I say save The Heat Is On and vote for Smuggler's Blues.

Freypower
05-12-2008, 12:05 AM
It was a big hit, but it is not a better song than the magnificent Smuggler's Blues, in my opinion.

Mrs Frey
05-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Oh, I TOLD you this game was going to give me migraines! :wink:

I cast my vote (gulp) for "This Way To Happiness". :weep:

FP and Soda, I agree with you about "Smuggler's Blues". Those lyrics are some of the best around. It's so cleverly written - Glenn :heart: really outdid himself there.

FP, thanks for protecting "True Love". :wink:

05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
It was a big hit, but it is not a better song than the magnificent Smuggler's Blues, in my opinion.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. It's not that I don't like Smuggler's Blues because I think it is awesome. However, THIO is something special, IMHO. It has such a catchy hook that you just can't get it out of your head once it gets in there. And OBTW, the delivery ain't bad either. I guess that's why it was such a megahit that still gets continuously played after more than 25 years.

And just to let everyone know, Soda and I both have plans this evening, and once again, will probably be late posting the results of this round. Whichever one of us gets home first will take care of it ASAP. Sorry, but we've both got a lot going on right now. :wink:

Brooke
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
After much thought and speculation I cast my vote for The Heat is On.

I really like the song and I know it's always been a hit with the weather people, but it's just lacking something for me. The rest of the songs left just have a much better story line or lyrics. I was tempted to vote strategically, but I think it's time for this one to have it's final melt down! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh this is getting soooo hard to do! Whatever I vote off I'll feel like a traitor. Glenn :heart: honey, I'm sorry! It has great personal significance and you do it so well, but I'm going to have to vote 'The Heat is on' off. But it doesn't mean for one minute that I don't love it.

This is going to get even harder as the next few days go by!

sodascouts
05-12-2008, 08:50 PM
The tenth song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor Survivor is The Heat Is On. “The Heat Is On," you can make or break, you can win or lose.... and you lost. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
The Heat Is On – 5
This Way to Happiness – 2
Smuggler's Blues – 2

Vote Breakdown
The Heat Is On– SodaScouts
The Heat Is On – timfan
The Heat Is On - Freypower
The Heat Is On - Brooke
The Heat Is On - Glennsallnighter
This Way to Happiness - scottside
This Way to Happiness - Mrs. Frey
Smuggler's Blues - glenneaglesfan
Smuggler's Blues – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 11 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song appears on the Solo Collection in its original studio form, but on the Millennium Collection as a live track?

Freypower
05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
:blush:

For a second I thought I couldn't answer this as I don't have Millennium Collection. Then I knew that GFO could tell me. Sure enough, The One You Love is a live track on that album.

So I would like True Love to be immune again.

Edit: Sad confession. Sometimes I just reload GFO to look at the sidebars. I just had a very nice selection which includes the one that featured as my av last week. :shock: And now there is one of the SC insert photos, appropriately enough.

sodascouts
05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
You got it, FP!

You know, the answer to every question asked in the Solo Collection Survivor can always be found somewhere on GFO. I consider GFO to be the "equalizer" - not everyone has all this info in their heads, but anyone can look it up!

TRUE LOVE is once again immune.

Round 11 begins NOW.

sodascouts
05-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh how this pains me...

I cast my vote for This Way to Happiness.

I just like the others better - except for True Love, which is immune. Sorry TWTH!

P.S. I hope no one got offended by my statement about Smuggler's Blues earlier. It's all in good fun and I meant no disrespect to those who voted for Smuggler's Blues. But as you may remember I have gotten excitable in the past (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21977&postcount=232), too. ;)

Time for the Jedi Mind Trick...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/jedi-mind-trick.jpg

:: You want to SAVE Smuggler's Blues. You will vote for THIS WAY TO HAPPINESS!! ::

Freypower
05-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Where there have been questions I had to think about I looked at the CD and haven't had to look at GFO until this question where I didn't have the other CD.

It's a no-brainer for me now, because as much as I love This Way To Happiness, I don't think it's as good as Smuggler's Blues.

I cast my vote for This Way To Happiness.

Mrs Frey
05-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Ouch - "The Heat Is On" gone. Ouch. I have pain rising upon my breast... :weep:

And the pain is about to get worse. I cast my vote for "This Way To Happiness".

Soda, you could never be offensive even if you tried. All your posts are so carefully and respectfully expressed! :nod:

Glennsallnighter
05-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Soda! I could never find you offensive either. One of the strong features of this board is that we can all have a good banter with each other, we can have differering opinions but we still respect each others opinions.

In fact I happen to agree with your comment ebout SB! But JMHO!!

Much as I love 'This Way To Happiness' and really makes me smile and feel good listening to it, we ARE after all voting for what we consider to be Glenn :heart: 's BEST song out of what remains. So with that focus and also because if it comes down to the wire I would consider Smugglers Blues to be a better song overall, with noted reluctance I cast my vote for

'This Way to Happiness'

The train is leaving and I suppose its time TWTH was on it!

scottside
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
I cast my vote for "This Way To Happiness."

timfan
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I cast my vote for Smuggler's Blues

glenneaglesfan
05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
So hard, but sadly it looks as though This Way To Happiness is going down this round. I'm going to defy the Jedi mind games and once again vote for Smuggler's Blues.

(Ducks and runs!)

By the way, sorry for not participating in the immunity questions. I just never seem to get on the board at the right time. I did know that last one!

sodascouts
05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Aw man! Just when I thought the mind tricks were working! Oh well. ;)

BTW, thanks for the kind words, GA and MF!

Mrs Frey
05-14-2008, 02:20 AM
By the way, sorry for not participating in the immunity questions. I just never seem to get on the board at the right time. I did know that last one!

LOL, join the club, GEF! There was only one answer I didn't know so far, but I can't be on the Border when the questions are presented! :(

No complaints, though. FP's been protecting my favourite! :nod: :D Okay, there, I've said it!

Glennsallnighter
05-14-2008, 11:55 AM

So did I, but 1am is just too late when you have to be up 6 hrs later for school run. I'm also running out of 'Reasons' to stay up late!!

:idea: I could try the truth........... :lol:

Glennsallnighter
05-14-2008, 11:55 AM

LOL, join the club, GEF! There was only one answer I didn't know so far, but I can't be on the Border when the questions are presented! :(

No complaints, though. FP's been protecting my favourite! :nod: :D Okay, there, I've said it!

Oooh are you letting the cat out of the bag there MF????

05-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh my my - this is so difficult. I guess it is time for This Way to Happiness to go. Since it doesn't need my vote, I'll vote strategically again.

I cast my vote for Part of Me, Part of You.

05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor Survivor is This Way to Happiness “This Way to Happiness’”, you may have had a dream and said a prayer, but it time to head down that endless road just south of nowhere. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
This Way to Happiness – 5
Smuggler's Blues – 2
Part of Me, Part of You –1

Vote Breakdown
This Way to Happiness – SodaScouts
This Way to Happiness – Freypower
This Way to Happiness– Mrs. Frey
This Way to Happiness – Glennsallnighter
This Way to Happiness – scottside
Smuggler's Blues – timfan
Smuggler's Blues – glennseaglesfan
Part of Me, Part of You – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12

Songs remaining:
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 12 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song won “Best Concept” video at the 1985 MTV Video Music Awards?

Freypower
05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Smuggler's Blues.

There is no point protecting True Love or River Of Dreams any more. I have to protect what's most important. I want Part Of Me, Part Of You to be immune.

05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Of course, that is correct, FP!

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU is immune.

Round 12 begins NOW.

Freypower
05-14-2008, 08:20 PM
This is terrible, painful, whatever. However....

I cast my vote for River Of Dreams with the greatest reluctance. The song is magnificent and one of the most personal things he has ever done. But... it still isn't as good as the remaining songs here.

sodascouts
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh no! River of Dreams is my favorite - well, one of them. It's a no-brainer for me.

I cast my vote for True Love.

timfan
05-14-2008, 08:34 PM
not ROD!! Save River of Dreams!!!!!!!

ROD is my fav Glenn song so....

I cast my vote for True Love

Mrs Frey
05-15-2008, 02:32 AM
NO!!! NOT "TRUE LOVE"!!!

I cast my vote for "River Of Dreams". :weep: :weep: :weep:

There's that pain upon my breast again... :cry: <sniff>

scottside
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
I cast my vote for TRUE LOVE.

timfan
05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
There are many reasons that I love the song River of Dreams...the words, the melody, the sentiment and not the least of which is the sweet video. The genuine love and emotion you see between Glenn and Cindy in the video is just so touching. :)

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/videos/riverofdreams.wmv

glenneaglesfan
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree that River Of Dreams is a beautiful song, but I love True Love so much that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and vote for River Of Dreams.

Pain indeed. :(

Glennsallnighter
05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I love both of these songs immensely but as I prefer River of Dreams I cast my vote for True Love. :(

Mrs Frey
05-16-2008, 02:17 AM
:shock: Waaaaah! GA!!!

:weep: :weep: :weep:

:wink:

Brooke
05-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh man, I just plain ol' forgot to vote in the last round! :roll: But I guess it was time for TWTH to go if any had to. I just love that song. It's such a feel good song.

I really like all of the remaining songs, but it's a no-brainer for me which is my favorite.

With that in mind, I'm voting strategically.

I cast my vote for You Belong to the City.

Please don't hurt me.......

05-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Wow - voting these songs off is worse than kicking your kids out of the house. :wink: But it has to be done. I guess I'll vote strategically again since my vote won't affect the outcome of this round.

05-16-2008, 08:02 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor Survivor is True Love “True Love”, out of the blue, out of the night, we came along and we voted you off. So please leave the island immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
True Love – 4
River of Dreams –3
You Belong to the City – 1
Smuggler's Blues – 1

Vote Breakdown
True Love – SodaScouts
True Love – timfan
True Love – scottside
True Love – Glennsallnighter
River of Dreams – Freypower
River of Dreams – Mrs. Frey
River of Dreams – glennseaglesfan
You Belong to the City – Brooke
Smuggler’s Blues – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12
True Love 5/16

Songs remaining:
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 13 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which songs did Glenn make videos for that do NOT appear on the Solo Collection?

Freypower
05-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I Found Somebody
Livin' Right
Some Kind Of Blue
Love In The 21st Century

I would like POMPOY to be immune.

05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Well, It looks like you are batting 1000, FP. You are right again!

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU is immune.

Round 13 begins NOW.

Freypower
05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
I cast my vote for River Of Dreams.

timfan
05-16-2008, 09:02 PM
SAVE River of Dreams!!
Vote Smugglers Blues!

sodascouts
05-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Shoot, this is hard. River of Dreams and Smuggler's Blues are my favorites. I can't sacrifice one for the other. And today, walking through the mall, I heard POMPOY and it made me smile after a frustrating day trying on clothes that didn't look good (I FINALLY found something not long after).

Reluctantly...

scottside
05-17-2008, 09:17 AM
I cast my vote for RIVER OF DREAMS.

glenneaglesfan
05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
<Sniff> True Love has gone.

I really do love all these songs, but very reluctantly

I cast my vote for River Of Dreams

Brooke
05-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Yup, very hard now for sure.

Glennsallnighter
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I think its going to have to be River of Dreams.

This is getting sooooohard

05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Now - this makes me seriously sad. I thought River of Dreams may make it to the final round. Oh well - I guess it was not to be.

sodascouts
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
The next song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor Survivor is River of Dreams. “River of Dreams”, I'm afraid you've got to leave this place behind immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
River of Dreams –4
You Belong to the City – 2
Smuggler's Blues – 2

Vote Breakdown
River of Dreams - Freypower
River of Dreams - scottside
River of Dreams - glennseaglesfan
River of Dreams - Glennsallnighter
You Belong to the City - SodaScouts
You Belong to the City - Brooke
Smuggler's Blues - timfan
Smuggler’s Blues - Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12
True Love 5/16
River of Dreams 5/18

Songs remaining:
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
Part of Me, Part of You

There are no more immunity questions. Voting for Round 14 begins now.

sodascouts
05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I have to say, I'm so sad to see River of Dreams go. It's my favorite along with Smuggler's Blues - such a gorgeous, melodic, romantic song.

While I also love this song, I love the other two more.

Freypower
05-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I am now torn between Smuggler's Blues and You Belong To The City. However given that I've seen YBTTC performed 7 times (once with LRB) it has the sentimental edge. That doesn't change my view that Smuggler's Blues is one of the best songs ever, by anyone, not just Glenn.

timfan
05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I cast my vote for Smugglers Blues

Mrs Frey
05-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Well, I missed the last round, but it doesn't matter - I would have voted (with pain) for "River Of Dreams". My favourite is gone too ("True Love"), so I would have (and am) experienced more pain. Oh dear, it's that pain upon my breast again...

As much as I HATE to do this, I'm casting my vote for "Smuggler's Blues". :weep:

Glennsallnighter
05-19-2008, 04:43 AM
I'm sorry that TL is gone for you MF! :hug: I know how much you love that song. I really can't decide yet. I think I'll listen to the songs in contention again and them decide!

:help: :help: :help:

scottside
05-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I cast my vote for YOU BELONG TO THE CITY.

glenneaglesfan
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm sad to see River Of Dreams go too, even though I voted for it. It's so very hard to choose now, but I have a personal and treasured memory of hearing You Belong To The City over a romantic supper on the ferry back from France - the only time ever that I have heard a Glenn solo song played other than THIO. I love its driving beat, and it's also had the accolade of one of my sons saying that they liked it. Therefore

Mrs Frey
05-20-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm sad to see River Of Dreams go too, even though I voted for it. It's so very hard to choose now, but I have a personal and treasured memory of hearing You Belong To The City over a romantic supper on the ferry back from France - the only time ever that I have heard a Glenn solo song played other than THIO. I love its driving beat, and it's also had the accolade of one of my sons saying that they liked it. Therefore

:rofl:

05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Okay - we're really getting down to the wire now. I guess this won't shock anyone ...

Glennsallnighter
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
its very difficult at this stage! However after serious thought I'm voting off 'You Belong To The City' in this round. :headshake:

Perfect Little Sister
05-20-2008, 05:53 PM
:weep: You guys killed ROD while I was gone. Actually, many went down in flames...but that one hurts alot. Ok...they all hurt when they go down. Now, with great pain in my heart, I cast my vote for You Belong To The City.
sniff...

ow....

sodascouts
05-20-2008, 08:23 PM
In a very close round, the fourteenth song to be voted off the island in Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor Survivor is Smuggler's Blues. “Smuggler's Blues”, I'm sorry it went down like this, but someone had to lose. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs, step forward.

Votes
Smuggler's Blues – 5
You Belong to the City – 4

Vote Breakdown
Smuggler's Blues - Freypower
Smuggler's Blues - timfan
Smuggler's Blues - Mrs. Frey
Smuggler's Blues - glenneaglesfan
Smuggler’s Blues - Ive always been a dreamer
You Belong to the City - SodaScouts
You Belong to the City - scottside
You Belong to the City - Glennsallnighter
You Belong to the City - Perfect Little Sister

Songs eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12
True Love 5/16
River of Dreams 5/18
Smuggler's Blues 5/20

Songs remaining:
You Belong to the City
Part of Me, Part of You

Alright! We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all. Once again...

Vote for the song you want to win.

Voting for the final round begins NOW!

sodascouts
05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
As much as I love You Belong to the City, this is a no-brainer for me. POMPOY has a lot more personal meaning. It's gorgeous and it always makes me smile; it's one of my favorite songs by anyone, ever.

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU for the win!!!

timfan
05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I cast my vote for PART OF ME, PART OF YOU to win!!!

Brooke
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Drat, I didn't make it back in today to vote! And I would've voted for YBTTC and there would have been a tie!

Oh well, either song is great and doesn't really matter. So, before I get tied up again:

I cast my vote for Part of Me, Part of You for the win. I just love it most of all! :D

Freypower
05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
There can only be one winner and I'm encouraged by the voting so far. It can only be:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Icons/Pompoy.jpg

And I'm not even going to try and explain why it should win. If it wins, I will write something about it.

Mrs Frey
05-21-2008, 03:02 AM
This is a tough one for me, because I love both songs, and I admit that prefer Glenn's :heart: singing on YBTTC, because his voice is absolutely fantastic and blows me away.

However, I really love the lyrics of POMPOY, and find myself quite emotional at times when I sing along with Glenn :heart: on this song.

After taking all of this into account, I cast my vote for

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU

Glennsallnighter
05-21-2008, 04:26 AM
For me too this was always going to be my #1. I love when they play it on the radio and I also put it on a lot in the car when I'm driving. Its got a real 'Feel Good' factor to it and always makes me smile and sing along with it.

I vote 'PART OF ME, PART OF YOU' for the win.

For the record too I love YBTTC but there can only be one winner, and POMPOY stands out a mile!

scottside
05-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I cast my vote for PART OF ME, PART OF YOU for the win. I remember first hearing this one on the radio in the early 90s one night on the way home from work and nearly crashed the car thinking this was new music from the Eagles!

Brooke
05-21-2008, 09:37 AM
:lol: I've always thought it could have been an Eagles song and wish they would play it in concert.

I think I like the movie Thelma & Louise just because of this song. 8)

glenneaglesfan
05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Brooke, I only bought the dvd of the movie because it had the POMPOY video included! (Bw, I did watch the film - it's amazing).

This is a beautifully constructed song, with deep lyrics and an awesome melody. For me it is faultless, and I probably listen to it at least once every day on my Ipod.

I cast my vote for Part Of Me, Part Of You for the win.

Mrs Frey
05-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I got POMPOY on my mp3 this morning while travelling to work. I got so involved in the song that I had to hold back the tears. :cry:

Glennsallnighter
05-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Oh MF! Hope this helps :hug:

Mrs Frey
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Aww, GA, you're so sweet! :hug:

Glennsallnighter
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Brooke, I only bought the dvd of the movie because it had the POMPOY video included! (Bw, I did watch the film - it's amazing).

Think thats bad GEF! I bought Jerry Maguire!

glenneaglesfan
05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Lol, GA, so did I!

05-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Well - I was actually going to vote for You Belong to the City. I love both of these, and think they are both great songs. But, there is something so special about Glenn's voice in YBTTC that I can't even describe that takes this song to another level for me. In addition, it was Glenn's biggest solo hit along with The Heat Is On. However, since I don't think we've ever had a clean sweep in any of the survivor games, I'm going to go with everyone else.

05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, in a landslide by unanimous decision, the winner of the Solo Collection Survivor is....

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU!

Votes
Part of Me, Part of You - 9

Vote Breakdown
Part of Me, Part of You - SodaScouts
Part of Me, Part of You - timfan
Part of Me, Part of You - Brooke
Part of Me, Part of You - Freypower
Part of Me, Part of You - Mrs. Frey
Part of Me, Part of You - Glennsallnighter
Part of Me, Part of You - scottside
Part of Me, Part of You - glenneaglesfan
Part of Me, Part of You - Ive always been a dreamer

Songs Eliminated:
Rising Sun 4/24
Sexy Girl 4/26
Call on Me 4/28
I've Got Mine 5/2
Brave New World 5/4
Common Ground 5/6
Soul Searchin' 5/8
The One You Love 5/10
The Heat Is On 5/12
True Love 5/16
River of Dreams 5/18
Smuggler's Blues 5/20
You Belong to the City 5/22

Congrats, PART OF ME, PART OF YOU!

To celebrate,

Listen to the Glenn perform this in a medley with Lyin' Eyes and Take It Easy:

Osaka 1992
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LEPOMPOYTIEOsaka92.mp3

Unfortunately, we don't have any video downloads of Glenn performing the song. He never performed the song live in its entirety - only as a medley with Lying' Eyes and TIE. Maybe we can search the Internet and see if we can come up with some video.

Hope you enjoyed the game. Thanks for playing, everybody!

Freypower
05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Is this really the first clean sweep? The resounding victory for this song demonstrates how important it is to Glenn Frey fans.

I was going to write a long and involved dissertation on how much the song means to me but I think I'll keep it short.

I didn't like it much to begin with. It took a long time to grow on me (so did the rest of the album). I honestly don't think I really started to get much out of it until the Eagles reformed. :blush:

I've told the story of how I was driving home from work one day (yes, I did work once :twisted: ) and the song came on and I felt that Glenn had sent me a message that yes, he was part of me and as a fan I was part of him in some small way, however distant. As MF says above, the song can choke you up when you don't expect it. That was in 2003 and the next year I finally saw the band again.

The acoustic guitars, the driving rhythm, the huge chorus - yes, it is a bit like Take It Easy. My favourite lines in terms of how he sings it are 'so many miles to go before I die' which is the usual laconic charisma, and then 'I look at you/your whole life stands before you' where he does the touching vulnerability stuff. :blush:

I know the song isn't well known. It doesn't matter. It is one of the touchstones of my life. OK.... sniff....

glenneaglesfan
05-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Congratulations to Part Of Me, Part Of You!! :rockon: :cheers: What a song to achieve such an accolade.

That's a lovely tribute to it, Fp.

Thanks for the download, dreamer. I probably have it saved somewhere, but it's always a joy to hear the live version again. 8)

Mrs Frey
05-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Well - I was actually going to vote for You Belong to the City. I love both of these, and think they are both great songs. But, there is something so special about Glenn's voice in YBTTC that I can't even describe that takes this song to another level for me. In addition, it was Glenn's biggest solo hit along with The Heat Is On. However, since I don't think we've ever had a clean sweep in any of the survivor games, I'm going to go with everyone else.

Highlighted text: I'm with you all the way here, Dreamer. It's that very attribute that made it a tough decision for me.

Brooke
05-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Congrats to POMPOY! What a beautiful song! :yay: :yay: :yay:

I love your favorite part, too, Fp and also this:

I look at you; your whole life stands before you
I look at me and I'm running out of time...

Tears me up everytime. And it's sung with such passion!

Oh, Glenn! :iloveyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Please note, I've changed my sig and location in honor of POMPOY! And it took me forever to figure out what that meant, too! :roll: :lol:

Mrs Frey
05-23-2008, 10:10 AM
I've told the story of how I was driving home from work one day (yes, I did work once :twisted: ) and the song came on and I felt that Glenn had sent me a message that yes, he was part of me and as a fan I was part of him in some small way, however distant. As MF says above, the song can choke you up when you don't expect it. That was in 2003 and the next year I finally saw the band again.

The acoustic guitars, the driving rhythm, the huge chorus - yes, it is a bit like Take It Easy. My favourite lines in terms of how he sings it are 'so many miles to go before I die' which is the usual laconic charisma, and then 'I look at you/your whole life stands before you' where he does the touching vulnerability stuff. :blush:

I know the song isn't well known. It doesn't matter. It is one of the touchstones of my life. OK.... sniff....

I really enjoyed reading this, FP. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I highlighted that particular line because it's very touching. I'd like to think that Glenn's :heart: a part of me too, now, and I'm a part of him, although I'm just one of his many, many devoted fans.

The lines that touch me the most are these:

We can never know about tomorrow
But still we have to choose which way to go
You and I are standing at the crossroads
Darling, there is one thing you should know

And then of course there's the beautiful chorus. How I wish I had someone in my life who cherished me that much.

Glennsallnighter
05-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Congratulations to POMPOY from me as well. It really is a beautiful song with carefully constructed lyrics that just flow from one part of the song to the next. Its one of my all time favourite driving songs which the miles just melt under.

Its played a lot on my radio station and one of the best times to hear it is just out of the 7am news, just when I'm contemplating my surgical removal from the matress! Needless to say when I hear 'Felt it when the Sun came up this morning.....' a big grin creases over my face and I'm in a good mood for the rest of the day!

I love the lyric 'Look at you your whole life stands before you' and apply it to my kids particularly as it really does, and I want the best for them.

05-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Congratulations from me too Part of Me, Part of You on an overwhelming victory. I'm not surprized that this song won, but am shocked at how convincing the win was. This is definitely one awesome song as is You Belong to the City.

sodascouts
05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Yay, POMPOY!

The way this contest went down reminds me of Don's Survivor - the one that was the bigger hit (YBTTC/Boys of Summer) vs. the one that has the bigger heart (POMPOY/Heart of the Matter). The result was the same, too. Interesting!

Just read the comments left on the POMPOY video on YouTube to see a sampling of how this song touches people, just as it has us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlD1OEj-6g

Magnificent song that never fails to lift my spirits.

05-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the link Soda. I read every single one of those comments, and they are very inspirational, indeed.

When I watched the video, it occurred to me that I could have at least linked to your GFO video page when I declared the winner. You have the video download, screenshots, etc. right there. Here it is:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/pompoy.htm

sodascouts
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for that link, dreamer, and for covering the game for me while I was away. I appreciate it!