PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen

Molly
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
This past Christmas, Santa Claus put Van Halen concert tickets in everyone's stockings, and the show was last night. Finally!!

Hubby, boys and I are all fans. I was a little nervous about what shape the band may be in since I've heard things about Eddie's health (our show was, in fact, postponed by 3 weeks because of his health).

The show was much better than I had expected. Eddie looked fit and tan and had that "Eddie grin" on his face throughout the evening. And he is incredible! During a 20 minutes solo playing off of "Eruption" (the intro to "You Really Got Me"), he was breathtaking to watch, a bona fide "guitar god". He doesn't jump around like he used to (sort of does this bunny hop thing with his prosthetic hip), but he still spins and twirls and, ah, that smile!

Alex always was, and still is a frenetic drummer. His solo also left us grinning and shaking our heads in disbelief.

Wolfgang (son of Eddie and Valerie Bertinelli) was very competent on bass and did a wonderful job (along with his dad on backing vocals).

David Lee Roth. Ah yes, Diamond Dave! I wondered how his voice had held up, and was pleasantly surprised that he can still hit those notes! And yes, he was dressed in spandex pants. Not as tight or low slung as back in the day, but just as sequined! He wore a sequined military type coat which he shed a few songs in. He had a tight silky shirt underneath which he announced, at one point, he was opening so we could see his bare chest (OMG! I pinched my eyes shut. He's 52 years old, do I want to see this? I just had supper!) Hey, the old guy is still buff, even had six pack abs. He shaves his chest now which is weird. He still tries to do the scissor kick/jumps but he's lost all his vertical. I think my mom can do kicks like he was doing last night.

But, he's Diamond Dave, half rock and roll frontman, half Vegas showman and he's one of a kind!

They did sing-a-long song after sing-a-long song: Runnin' With the Devil, You Really Got Me, Oh, Pretty Woman, Jamie's Crying, Jump, Panama, Ice Cream Man, etc. etc. It was great!

Perfect Little Sister
04-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow Molly. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. It's great to know that they've still got it.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Glad you finally got to the concert, Molly. It's also nice to hear that the guys are still in good form. And Eddie Van Halen is indeed a true 'guitar god'.

Brooke
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Very cool, Molly! Glad you had such a good time!

Glennsallnighter
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Thats great Molly! I'm delighted that you all had such a good night. Hopefully Santa will be putting ILAA tickets into our stockings ...... for Eagles gigs next year!! :wink:

rickmullen
12-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Looks like Van Halen (with David Lee Roth) will tour in 2012.
A YouTube video posted on Dec. 26th said tickets for the first
round of shows will go on sale January 10th. A new CD will also be
released in the new year. I saw them on the last tour about 5 years
ago and it was great.

I love Eddie Van Halen's guitar work and I will put this on my
"to do" list for 2012!

Rick

TimothyBFan
12-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I hope it goes better than the last reunion. Is Wolfgang still doing the bass playing?

WalshFan88
12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I hope it goes better than the last reunion.

Agreed. The last one sucked according to a friend who went and saw them. He said Ed could barely play. :shock:

TimothyBFan
12-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Agreed. The last one sucked according to a friend who went and saw them. He said Ed could barely play. :shock:

Ed could barely stand up, David Lee Roth was pretty much a joke, a facsimile of himself, and Wolfgang is a mediocre bass player, at best, and wouldn't have been playing if not for his Dad. It was all very upsetting for a fan who had so looked forward to the reunion.

On a similar note.... Sammy Hagar has been very vocal saying he doubted very much that it would happen or that there would even be a new album. I guess time will tell.

WalshFan88
12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Ed could barely stand up, David Lee Roth was pretty much a joke, a facsimile of himself, and Wolfgang is a mediocre bass player, at best, and wouldn't have been playing if not for his Dad. It was all very upsetting for a fan who had so looked forward to the reunion.

On a similar note.... Sammy Hagar has been very vocal saying he doubted very much that it would happen or that there would even be a new album. I guess time will tell.

Yeah that's what my friend basically said.

rickmullen
12-29-2011, 01:33 AM
I got to see VH on the last tour in St Louis after it was postponed
while Eddie and the band took a break for a while I guess for Eddie
to get his "stuff" together. By the time they got around to making
up the St. Louis show, Eddie was in better shape and his guitar work
was good. Not so, in other shows I heard. David Lee Roth was, well,
David Lee Roth. I still prefer him over Sammy Hagar.

rickmullen
12-31-2011, 08:54 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z206/rickmullen/vanhalen.jpg

January 3rd: Dates and cities for first leg of tour announced.

January 10th: Tickets for first leg go on sale.
Single and video from new album released.

February 7th: New album release date.

TimothyBFan
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
This was linked from a Classic Rock page I follow on FB.

Five Things That Could Go Right With The New Van Halen Album.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-new-album-five-things-right/

Hoping they're right about #s 4 & 1 but after that tour 2 years ago, I'm not to sure. Time will tell and I am looking very forward to it.

Topkat
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
David Lee Roth signs some autographs last night outside a private show & confirms the title of the new Van Halen album & 2 concert dates in NYC

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-lee-roth-confirms-new-van-halen-album-title-new-york-dates/

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2012, 09:58 AM
This dropped into my Facebook News Feed this morning. Reformed Van Halen performs intimate NYC gig.

http://entertainment.verizon.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9S38HCO1%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1018#.TwbjsTEPGxU.facebook

WalshFan88
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZ6TZNQV-Y

OMG somebody please pinch me and tell me it's a dream.... It sounds like a bad VH tribute bar band to me.... Gawd awful, IMO.

And what is up with DLR in overalls (farmer's clothes) and a cap like Brian Johnson (from AC/DC) wears????!!!! :rofl:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZ6TZNQV-Y

OMG somebody please pinch me and tell me it's a dream.... It sounds like a bad VH tribute bar band to me.... Gawd awful, IMO.

And what is up with DLR in overalls (farmer's clothes) and a cap like Brian Johnson (from AC/DC) wears????!!!! :rofl:

This is what I meant in another thread about how when the performance varies too much from the original it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I realize the audio and visuals will be poor, it's on a cell phone. But it's not, by far, the only problem with the performance.

WalshFan88
01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
This is what I meant in another thread about how when the performance varies too much from the original it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I realize the audio and visuals will be poor, it's on a cell phone. But it's not, by far, the only problem with the performance.

Completely agree.

Freypower
01-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm not a fan of Van Halen but hubby is, and he loves that song, so I thought I'd watch it. I stopped after three minutes. The guitar solo was OK but the vocals.... when he started what sounded like a 'rap' I gave up.

As for his outfit remember in the California Girls video, the 'Midwest farmers' dauighters' part where he peels the corn cob?! Ahem.

TimothyBFan
01-07-2012, 01:13 PM
This really saddens me a great deal. I was really hoping this time would be better but this video isn't proving it to be so. Hopefully it will get better. I guess there's a reason I've held off preordering the Cd. Tho I've thought about it several times. Guess I'll wait to hear more.

TimothyBFan
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Here's the new single and video off the new album. Gotta say I'm digging it!! I think it's gonna grow on me. I had my doubts when the live stuff was released last week but think the album might be ok. I'm just going to avoid seeing them live I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA

WalshFan88
01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
I kinda like it as well. I think it could really grow on me also!

Topkat
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Eddie Van Halen donates 75 of his personal guitars to LA city schools.
Wow, pretty cool to be playing one of those! Nice guy;-)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-donates-75-guitars-from-his-collection-to-l-a-public-schools/

WalshFan88
02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Anyone got the new VH CD (A Different Kind Of Truth) yet? I did today and I love it! Other than Tattoo which is iffy for me, the whole CD is packed full of great songs and Eddie's "fire" is back in his playing and Wolfie IMO has really gotten a lot better as both a background vocalist and bassist. His bass is pretty clear in the mix.

Also their shows are getting better and better I hear. That one Cafe video was kind of iffy, but check out some of the footage from their latest shows - pretty cool. Eddie is back to jumping around onstage and really is playing great and sober, AFAIK.

I don't know what my favorite song from the album is, I haven't had it long enough to decide other than just listening once front to back. I really like all of them, except for Tattoo. Stay Frosty is one of my new favorite sayings though, LOL! :rofl:

They are going to be in Chicago this month but I just don't have the time or money to go. If they hit the area up again and keep up the great shows, I might go...

TimothyBFan
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I have it and also have enjoyed it what little I've been able to listen so far. My fave so far is You And Your Blues, Tattoo and Beats Workin'. I have to admit tho, I'm still a little bent out of shape about the whole Michael Anthony thing.

And I'm still up in the air about going and seeing them if I get the chance. Time will tell. Haven't seen anymore live stuff other than that first one that was so disappointing, will have to check some of them out.

WalshFan88
02-18-2012, 08:08 PM
You and Your Blues is my favorite so far - love that one!

TimothyBFan
02-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm with you, Austin!! This one is my favorite also. I listened again last evening. Good stuff!!!

prayfordaylight
04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I saw VH last week and it was a great show. Dave can't hit the notes or the jumps much anymore but he knows how to entertain. It's always great to see masters like Eddie and Alex at their craft as well. The newer songs, especially Tattoo, were much stronger live but the classics of course were the ones that killed.

TimothyBFan
04-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Gotta admit I was a bit skeptical when a clip of that performance at that club first came out but everything I'm hearing now is pretty darn good!! :thumbsup: Looks like they've pulled it off.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Eddie Van Halen having emergency surgery for diverticulitis...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-undergoes-emergency-surgery/

zeldabjr
08-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Eddie Van Halen having emergency surgery for diverticulitis...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-undergoes-emergency-surgery/

Glad he is doing well...Get well soon Eddie!

WalshFan88
08-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Get well soon Eddie!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-31-2012, 06:53 PM
didnt eddie van halen have emerg surg??

VAisForEagleLovers
08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
didnt eddie van halen have emerg surg??

Yes, that's what the article says. I assume.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-01-2012, 08:18 AM
sorry I missed the article post...

all caught up now......

thanks Va ..you always keep me in the loop