PDA

View Full Version : What's happening in your life? 11/06-08/08

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

glenneaglesfan
07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
MF, I hope you feel better soon and can share some of the stress with us. We're thinking of you. Good luck with the gigs.

DF, so sorry to hear about the robbery at your church. How low can people go?

Soda, I'm glad you're feeling better and had a great time at your graduation party! We went to a wedding on Saturday and had a great time too with lovely food, music and dancing. (I even got a hug from a friend called Glenn :blush: )

Jethro is back to full bouncy fitness now, thanks, just a little shaved patch on his head!

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
(I even got a hug from a friend called Glenn :blush: )

Jethro is back to full bouncy fitness now, thanks, just a little shaved patch on his head!

Maybe it's a sign for a meeting! :)
How was the wedding?

WooHoo Jethro!! :D

Glennsallnighter
07-15-2008, 06:07 PM
We went to a wedding on Saturday and had a great time too with lovely food, music and dancing. (I even got a hug from a friend called Glenn :blush: )

There's one Glenn :heart: I wouldn't mind a hug from :wink: :inlove:

Mrs Frey
07-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, Mrs Henley and GEF. You're both very sweet. :grouphug:

GEF, a hug from a friend called Glenn... hmmm... I wonder where your mind went to at that moment... :wink: :twisted: I'm glad Jethro is doing better! :D

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Hope those gigs are going well MF! And that you get some R&R time when they are finished! :D

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-16-2008, 02:28 PM
So i got so news today:

i found out that i might have mono and dont know how i got it (my guess is from drinking after someone) i also have enlarged and infected lymph nodes my kidneys, spleen, and liver and inflamed too. my mom being a nurse tried to do the blood work but missed twice so i had to go to the doctors. i have really deep veins so it took 3 poked to finally get it. i hope that this doesnt last long (i have plans in a few weeks) and i hope that i didnt pass this on to anyone if i do have it

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
So i got so news today:

i found out that i might have mono and dont know how i got it (my guess is from drinking after someone) i also have enlarged and infected lymph nodes my kidneys, spleen, and liver and inflamed too. my mom being a nurse tried to do the blood work but missed twice so i had to go to the doctors. i have really deep veins so it took 3 poked to finally get it. i hope that this doesnt last long (i have plans in a few weeks) and i hope that i didnt pass this on to anyone if i do have it

Sounds not good!
Take care! :hug:

Edit: OK I searched it at the internet and it sounds really not good!
I hope you will recover soon!! :hug:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
So i got so news today:

Sounds not good!

thanks i guess on a good note it means i get to sleep all day lol

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
So i got so news today:

Sounds not good!

Haha, well I hope you don't have it!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
So i got so news today:

Sounds not good!

yea me too i thanks

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 02:57 PM
So i got so news today:

Sounds not good!

yea me too i thanks

;) :)

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Gosh, GOS! You take care of yourself and have all the rest you need. You want to be on top form for your forthcoming plans!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
yeah thanks i will

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Gosh, GOS :shock:. That prognosis sounds quite ominous. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I've got a lot of news, but not much time, unfortunately, so I'll start with my bad news for today:

I woke up this morning to find that my bicycle had been stolen from our balcony. :evil: :enraged: I'm devastated :cry: , as the bicycle was a gift and I've had it for 20 years. It's an old bike and weighed 14kg, but it was great for exercise and was still in good condition. It was pink and white with ladies' parallel bars. With it I also lost a bike computer and a little black pouch that I received as a gift along with my first bicycle in 1983.

So much for our new, "secure" complex. :roll: :evil:

I'd love to know how the hell the thieves managed to swipe it from the balcony!!!

The bike isn't worth very much, so I don't know why they bothered. I can buy a new bicycle, but it's the sentimental value of the bike that I treasure the most.

What is becoming of this world? :evil:

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Oh thats awful MF :weep: :weep: :weep: I know you loved and treasured that bike. :( This isn't much but I hope it helps. :hug:

glenneaglesfan
07-17-2008, 06:27 AM
MF, I'm really sorry to hear about your bike. On top of everything else you could have done without that. Thank goodness the burglar didn't get into your apartment. It's very worrying if that is supposed to be a secure compound.

GOS, sorry to hear that you may have mono (we call it glandular fever over here). If the blood test is positive you'll need to rest and look after yourself for several weeks.

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the support, GA and GEF. I'm going to make a statement at the local police station tonight, but I don't know how much that's going to help. :roll:

TimothyBFan
07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
My goodness--stolen bikes and money from church choirs, things just get worse and worse!! Some people just don't seem to have many morales any more. Sorry to hear about your loss MF, doesn't matter that it wasn't worth much money wise but it really meant something to you, that's what is really frustrating!

Mrs Henley
07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Awh Mrs Frey, that's terrible to hear! :( and special because you loved that bike!
I can't get your bike back, but I hope this helps a little :hug:

Mrs Henley
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
And what's going on in my life right now..

I'm here with Stephanie, so we would join the chat tomorrow together :)

We're going into the city for some shopping :lol:
But first we're wacthing Chris Isaak (Stephanie is so in love now, :lol: :inlove:)

And tomorrow we're going to record our own Eagles Clip :lol::lol: That's gonna be soooooooooooo crazy :lol:

Brooke
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Take care of yourself, GOS, and get well soon.

MF, I'm so sorry about your bike. I would definitely report it to the police and you might check out local pawn shops. Do you have those? Sounds like it would be distinctive and people should recognize it. The thieves certainly took a chance at being spotted beings it was on a balcony! Keep you eyes open. Hopefully you will find it.

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 10:43 AM
My goodness--stolen bikes and money from church choirs, things just get worse and worse!! Some people just don't seem to have many morales any more. Sorry to hear about your loss MF, doesn't matter that it wasn't worth much money wise but it really meant something to you, that's what is really frustrating!

That's exactly it, TBF. I can buy another bike, but it just won't be the same. :( Thanks for the support, though.

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the hug, Mrs Henley. I can do with a few right now.

Brooke, thanks for the support. I'll do what I can, but police work in such matters is so sloppy (well, it's sloppy, period :roll: ) that I don't know how much I will achieve. I have so little time to do much from my end, unfortunately. We do have pawn shops, but I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't get around much. :blush: The bike does mean a lot to me, so I'll try my best. It certainly is distinctive, as very few people ride bikes like that these days.

DonFan
07-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry about your bike, Mrs. F. I said the same thing after I was robbed at church on Sunday--what IS the world coming to these days?

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks, DF. My heart is really sore. :cry:

Mrs Henley
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks, DF. My heart is really sore. :cry:

I really hope that your bike would be found back!!!!!! :hug:

Stephanie
07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Mrs Frey, that's really sad news! :(
I hope you'll have you bike soon back!!!
:xoxo:

Mrs Frey
07-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Thanks, Stephanie and Mrs Henley. I hope so too.

I gave a statement to the police after work yesterday, with a detailed description of the bike, so I really hope they'll be able to help. I know there are many more important things to see to in this country, but any help they can give me would be appreciated.

Brooke
07-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm off this weekend to St. Louis to see my favorite Boys of Summer, the Cardinals.

Our daughter is flying in from Austin to meet us there and our son and his girlfriend are going with us, too. It will be a nice little family reunion. We (except hubby) haven't been to the new Busch Stadium yet, so it will be fun. It's supposed to be horribly hot, too, of course! We'll be back late Sunday.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-18-2008, 01:20 PM
so i dont have mono but i have to have the lymph node cut open the get the infection out

sodascouts
07-18-2008, 01:20 PM
How awful about your bike, MF! What is this world coming to indeed!

Brooke - have fun!

Glennsallnighter
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
MF I really hope that bike turns up for you. As you say its distinctive. I would also try any second hand bike shops in the locality in case someone tried to sell it off there.

Brooke, Enjoy your family weekend! See you Sunday!

GOS! That infection sounds rather nasty. But at least its not GF as GEF says (Now I wouldn't mind having a dose of GF infecting me :D ). Take care of yourself.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
thanks Glennsallnighter they got it all and i have to stay in bed for the next 3 days but it already feels better

Glennsallnighter
07-18-2008, 05:34 PM
WHAT are you going to do in bed for the next 3 days GOS? No seriously, I'm glad its sorted and that you'll be ok soon. :hug:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-18-2008, 06:19 PM
i might go crazy there is only so much you can do on the computer lol or i might just lay here with my bottle of vicidon and my eagles dvd's

and thanks i hope its all over too :hug:

glenneaglesfan
07-19-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm glad the test was negative, GOS. Now for the next few days "Take It Easy!"

Lol, GA, for once I missed the GF connection!

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2008, 05:33 AM
GEF! I'm surprised at you!! :wink:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm glad the test was negative, GOS. Now for the next few days "Take It Easy!"

thanks i sure will in fact its my away message on AIM :wink:

Mrs Frey
07-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Soda and GA, thanks for the support about my bike. No luck yet :evil: , but I plan to start harassing the police officer to whom I gave the statement. :twisted:

Brooke, I hope you had a great time, girl! :D

GOS, I'm glad your tests proved positive, but take care of yourself and REST.

TimothyBFan
07-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Went and saw The Dark Knight on Saturday. I loved it! If you don't like these kind of movies you probably wont like it. I'm not big on the action hero movies but have always loved all the Batman movies for some reason. This one was the best by far! Christian Bale as Batman was ok but Heath Ledger was unbelievable as the Joker!! Everything you have heard about his performance is true. They couldn't have found someone any better than him for this part. What a shame he will never see how much everyone loved him in the movie. The special effects were fantastic also. See it if you get the chance is my advice!

DonFan
07-21-2008, 09:45 AM
We saw The Dark Knight this weekend too TBF, and I agree--it was terrific, and Heath Ledger's performance was truly inspired.

tbs fanatic
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I really, really, really want to see that movie. Have not got there yet for various nutty reasons but hopefully sooooon. I always loved Heath Ledger performances and everyone says this is amazing so I cannot wait to see it. They had Brokeback Mountain on tv the other night - OMG he was so great in that. I really loved that movie.

sodascouts
07-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Hmm, a friend and I are going to the movies Wednesday and he wanted to see the Dark Knight, but I told him I'd rather see Hancock. He accommodated me, but perhaps I should change the plan!

DonFan
07-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Hancock is also a very good movie. I am a longtime fan of Will Smith and this movie is a twist on his typical July 4th-blockbuster-films. You will enjoy either movie, so see them both!

Brooke
07-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm baaaack!

Had a great time out at the 'ole ball game. It was terribly hot though! We were out in the sun and I had to go inside for a bit to cool off, but the Cards managed to pull out a great win, so it was worth it.

Seeing our daughter was great, as we hadn't seen her since Christmas. Just didn't last long enough. It was a fun weekend! :D

Both of those movies sound good, but we usually wait for them to come to pay per view and watch at home. I do think you miss something doing that though.

sodascouts
07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Glad you had a good time Brooke!

Mrs Frey
07-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Welcome back, Brooke! :D I'm glad you had such a great time.

Enjoy the movies, girls! I don't know when last I've been to the cinema... :blush:

Brooke
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I was just checking my credit card account and noticed the charge for joining the Joe Walsh fanclub. It was under 3Encores..........

:shock: :shock: :twisted:

sodascouts
07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I was just checking my credit card account and noticed the charge for joining the Joe Walsh fanclub. It was under 3Encores..........

:shock: :shock: :twisted:

LOL!!!! That's great! Naughty Joe! :fingerwag: :twisted:

Brooke
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I stared at that and I thought....OMG! :lol:

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
LOL Brooke, thats a good one!

A fitting celebration for reaching 2500 posts. Congratulations!! :D

Ive always been a dreamer
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Woah Brooke - When you get your ILAA packet, be sure to check very closely to see if one of these buttons is included:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/3Ebutton-1.jpg

If so, you need a back up plan to dump hubby!!!! :D :wink: :twisted:

Brooke
07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Woah Brooke - When you get your ILAA packet, be sure to check very closely to see if one of these buttons is included:

Ha! :wink: :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2008, 04:52 PM
And fast!!

tbs fanatic
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
:lol: Of course Brooke, you could always hand it to me. I'm leaving hubby at home :twisted: :rofl:

Brooke
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, right! :lol:

Mrs Frey
07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You girls are BAD! :wink:

And Joe has a great sense of humour!

DonFan
07-23-2008, 10:34 AM

That is why I no longer go to these concerts with my hubby. :twisted: Carpe diem!

Glennsallnighter
07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Me neither!!

I took Laura to 'Riverdance' the other night. I don't know if any of you are familiar of it. Its like a kind of Irish/Celtic history told mainly through the medium of Irish dance. It is spectacular and absolutely haunting. There are 5 Riverdance companies touring the world at the moment. If it comes to a town near any of you it would be well worth seeing, particularly if you have some Irish roots as well.

I have a school reunion after 23 years on Friday night coming.

Maleah
07-24-2008, 03:15 AM
*sigh* Well, I looked up at my ceiling in my living room today and noticed a bubble. Naturally being as curious as I am (yes...I know what happened to the cat :D ), I pulled up a chair and got a closer look. It's full of water and now leaking! So now I have to call my landlady tomorrow morning (or should I say today?) and tell her about it. I'm guessing I have many days of people coming and going as they please in and out of my apartment to look forward to. :? :? :?

Mrs Frey
07-24-2008, 03:20 AM
GA, I'm glad you and Timtot had such a good time at the "Riverdance" show. I hope your school reunion is a blast! :D

Maleah, I'm so sorry about your roof leak! :( I know exactly what you mean about people walking in and out of your home! :x I hope you manage to get the leak fixed without too many hassles.

I won't be on The Border tomorrow as I'm taking tomorrow off from work. I have a gig tomorrow night, and have some preparation to do so it's not worth it going into work for half a day. I've been quite busy here at work, so I haven't had a chance to fill you all in on my activities, but I will get there, I promise! :nod:

Maleah
07-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Thanks :) Good luck at your gig Mrs. F! Have fun! Wish I was there to hear you! :D

Mrs Frey
07-24-2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks, Maleah! I wish you could be there too! :hug:

By the way, I forgot to mention in my last post, but girlfriend, your AV is SEXY! :smokin:

TimothyBFan
07-24-2008, 06:13 AM
Me neither!!

I took Laura to 'Riverdance' the other night. I don't know if any of you are familiar of it. Its like a kind of Irish/Celtic history told mainly through the medium of Irish dance. It is spectacular and absolutely haunting. There are 5 Riverdance companies touring the world at the moment. If it comes to a town near any of you it would be well worth seeing, particularly if you have some Irish roots as well.

I have a school reunion after 23 years on Friday night coming.

I took my daughter years ago to this and she was absolutely awestruck!! It is a truly great show and I also recommend it to anyone who might get the chance to see it.

Maleah-good luck with that ceiling thing--I know it will be an ordeal as most repairs always are.

Brooke
07-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Good luck with that leak, Maleah. I hate things like that.

Your av is hilarious! :rofl:

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Maleah, I hope the ceiling is sorted quickly. We had the same problem last year :roll: but got it repaired while we were away! I love the new av :wink:

MF I hope your gig goes really well. I know you've been putting a lot into it so you deserve to bring the place down!

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Ooh, I've heard of Riverdance if it's what I think it is - shirtless Irish men? ;)

Maleah - how bothersome for you! At least your maintenance comes. I can't get my to come unless I call at least three times. No exaggeration. It's as if they hope I'll give up and they won't have to do anything.

Good luck at your gig, MF!

Maleah
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Maleah! I wish you could be there too! :hug:

By the way, I forgot to mention in my last post, but girlfriend, your AV is SEXY! :smokin:

Isn't it though? :heybaby:

Glad you all like it....I figured it went well with my "location" ;)

Maleah
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Ooh, I've heard of Riverdance if it's what I think it is - shirtless Irish men? ;)

Maleah - how bothersome for you! At least your maintenance comes. I can't get my to come unless I call at least three times. No exaggeration. It's as if they hope I'll give up and they won't have to do anything.

Good luck at your gig, MF!

Weeeeell.........I dont even know who to call for maintenance. lol My landlady is very much a busybody though and I really don't want her in my apartment. Unfortunately I think that this will mean she'll be prancing in and out as she pleases. :?

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a friend who used to go to school here at Purdue, but currently is out in Fresno, California. She had to sue her landlord to be released from her lease, because the apartment had unlivable conditions. Well, the landlord calls in the maintenance guy as a witness that she "lived a dirty lifestyle" and therefore it's not his fault that her place was infested with vermin. So, now I'm freaking picking up my stuff before the maintenance guys come!

I'm sure she'll win her case, BTW. She doesn't live any messier than your average student with no spouse or kids to clean up for. But still!

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Yes, Soda, there are some. :wink:

Maleah
07-24-2008, 04:44 PM
LOL That sounds like me! I was up until 2 or 3 in the morning last night picking up in my living room and bedroom! The leak is only in my living room so I don't know why they'd have to go into my bedroom or anything....but you just never know. :roll: Anyway, I panicked because my bedroom was (kinda is still lol) absolutely HORRIBLE! you couldn't walk without walking over dirty clothes and empty pop cans. :blush: pathetic, I know. Especially since I live by myself and it shouldn't be that hard to pick up after myself. But it seems like I'm working all the time and when I'm not, I feel like just being lazy and relaxing! LOL That's my excuse. :roll: :wink:

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Maleah I feel for you girl. I understand that as you work so hard the last thing you want in your downtime is to be picking up! I was the same as a student. Then I'd have a monumental clean-up, swear it'd never happen again. A week later of course we were back to the same....... :roll:

Your landlady may have the right to inspect the premesis since she will be the one paying out for the repair and making the insurance claim, but remember you have rights as a tenant and she doesn't have the right to pry into anything that isn't relevant. She also has to make appointments to come in at mutually acceptable times, and can' just waltz in unless its a real emergency. I hope its sorted soon. Could you take vacation leave and just abscond while the job is being done?

Soda, I hope your friend wins her case.

Maleah
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Maleah I feel for you girl. I understand that as you work so hard the last thing you want in your downtime is to be picking up! I was the same as a student. Then I'd have a monumental clean-up, swear it'd never happen again. A week later of course we were back to the same....... :roll:

Your landlady may have the right to inspect the premesis since she will be the one paying out for the repair and making the insurance claim, but remember you have rights as a tenant and she doesn't have the right to pry into anything that isn't relevant. She also has to make appointments to come in at mutually acceptable times, and can' just waltz in unless its a real emergency. I hope its sorted soon. Could you take vacation leave and just abscond while the job is being done?

Soda, I hope your friend wins her case.

That's exactly what I do! lol I have this HUGE cleanup and tell myself it's never going to get that bad again and then we start right back over. lol

My landlady never makes appointments, she just comes right over whenever. I remember last time I had worked really late and I was still asleep at 8:30 or 9:00 AM and my phone rang and it was my landlady telling me they needed to get in and check the toilet but my door was hooked shut. There are two locks and then a chain that hooks. I asked if she could give me 5 minutes to get dressed and I walked into the bathroom and before I even got into the bathroom I heard her trying to push the door open again. By then I was annoyed and said that wasn't even 1 minute but hold on so I can unchain it. Turns out it wasn't even my toilet that was running....it was the person above me. :roll: I do have the next 4 days off so hopefully it can be taken care of asap.

Thanks for all the info though! I didn't know some of that so it was nice to have reassurance! :)

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
My maintenance people knock once, then immediately unlock the door and turn the key before you can respond. Once they caught me in bed, and I was freaking terrified, thinking I was being robbed before I saw it was the maintenance men. They mumbled "Sorry" and left the bedroom so I could get dressed, but I was still pissed off. Yeah, I was expecting them to come in to fix the toilet that day... but they could have given me a chance to answer the door!

Maleah
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Exactly! They give you no privacy or consideration in situations like that. IMO...the landlord/lady knows what your vehicle looks like.....if your vehicle is home they should knock or call you instead of walking in if you don't answer. If your vehicle isn't home they should still try repeatedly before walking in. That's why I want to get a nice trailer home :?

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
You should make it clear when signing the lease on what grounds access is permitted and what notice is to be given on both sides. We let a house about 50 miles away from here and we must give 24 hours notice (By law here) if we wish to enter the premisis. Only exception would be an emergency such as a break in but here the tenants would have to inform us and would normally be begging us to come up.

In multi-flat complexes tenants must also be given notice of routine maintenance checks. Again usually 24 hours!!

It must have been so annoying to have your one morning to sleep in and to be so rudely disturbed.
Of course in the real world so much of this is easier said than done!!

DonFan
07-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Good luck with that situation, Maleah! And I like your new av, BTW.

Soda, you have a new av almost every time you log on. Very entertaining!

Forgive me while I gripe a moment. I am jealous of any of you who have hubbys or SO who cook. I tried to get my hubby to bring dinner home last night. I had a migraine yesterday afternoon--I only get one every few months, thankfully--and I get what they call the "migraine aura" which means I have these wavy lines in my vision so I can't see very well. Then I get a dull headache, so I just didn't want to cook. I called and told him to get something, anything for dinner and he kept saying what do you want--do you want this, do you want that--and I just wanted him to DO IT. He came home two hours later still asking me what I wanted, and I didn't care! By that point I felt better and got up & made us BLTs.

Food is NOT his thing. He would never say, "Let's go out for dinner tonight," EVER. He does grill--when I tell him exactly what to grill!

Rant over. :ziplip:

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2008, 06:43 PM
My hubby is fine at organising take out or offering to go out for a meal, but getting him to cook....... :headshake: :headshake: :headshake:

Shortly after we got married he decided to surprise my by cooking steak and chips for tea when I got home from work. The kitchen smelt like a smokehouse, Every utensil we had had been used, every surface covered in a fine layer of grease!!
But it DID taste nice! Although he then absconded off to work leaving you know who to deal with the fallout.

Since then the kitchen has been my domain!! And thats how its staying :D

DF I hope your migraine has improved. Perhaps you celebrated Don's birthday too hard :wink:

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Soda, you have a new av almost every time you log on. Very entertaining!

The anniversay of Eagles Online Central (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com) is coming up on the 29th, so I'm doing all sorts of different Eagles avatars 'til then. It IS fun to get to use so many different photos, although there's much to be said for familiarity, where you can look down a page and know the poster by their avatar.

UGH about your hubby's inadequacies about food. Why do men have such a hard time making decisions about eating? How many times have I gone out with a guy who simply refuses to make a decision about where to eat. Me: "Where would you like to go?" Him: "I don't know, where do you wanna go?" Me: "Don't you have any preference at all? Like maybe a type of food? Italian? Mexican? Tell me what kind and I'll decide the restaurant." "No, whatever type of food, I don't care." :roll:

I'm sorry to hear you're afflicted with migraines. My mother suffered from them for years, but they stopped at menopause. My sister had them for a while, but they stopped once she was past adolescence. They skipped me, thank goodness. But my aunt had them - and has them still - so severely that she has to inject herself with medication to relieve them. :(

DonFan
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
DF I hope your migraine has improved. Perhaps you celebrated Don's birthday too hard :wink:
Only in my dreams, GA! :wink: :heybaby:

I really enjoy cooking, I just didn't feel like it last night.
And we actually have a very good arrangement--I do the cooking and he & our daughters do the dishes. :thumbsup:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
DF that a good arrangment my mom cooks i do dishes

GA sounds like my step-dad

so i have a staff infection and a week of laying on the bed watching james bond is not so fun after 3 days going to get your leg packed every other day sucks too and vicodin stops helping after a while but tomorrow i get to do stuff again and i found out there is only so much stuff you can look up on the internet. oh and i changed my major to psychology so thats always fun, but other than that im good and i just got my copie of Heave Is Under Our Feet but havent read it yet.

sodascouts
07-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Hope you feel better soon, GOS. If you're bored with the internet, try a book! I just finished A Rose for the Crown - a fictionalization of the life of Richard III's mistress - and I loved it. I've never read Heaven Is Under Our Feet, but from what I hear, it's interesting, too.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Hope you feel better soon, GOS. If you're bored with the internet, try a book! I just finished A Rose for the Crown - a fictionalization of the life of Richard III's mistress - and I loved it. I've never read Heaven Is Under Our Feet, but from what I hear, it's interesting, too.

thanks i might try that im going to borders tomorrow to stock up im reading The Count Of Monte Cristo right now

Brooke
07-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Get well soon, TGOS.

I've been reading The Shell Seekers and it's very good. I also have just read The Grapes of Wrath after hearing (reading) Freypower's post about it a while back. I loved it. It really opened my eyes about the poor migrant workers of the 30's.

TGOS, also, if you would mind putting some punctuation in your sentences it would make your posts much easier to read. :D

glenneaglesfan
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Get well soon from me too, TGOS.

Maleah, I'm sorry to hear about your leak and all that hassle. These maintanance men walking into your rooms sound a nightmare. Soda, you must have been terrified to hear your door opening when you were in bed. It reminds of a funny thing that happened to me when we were on the ferry back from France. We had a small cabin with ensuite bathroom, and I was taking a shower. While I was showering, one of the boys had been messing around with spray deodorant and just as I was about to step out in my towel, the smoke alarm went off and a member of the crew rushed in to see what was going on!

DF, I'm blessed with a husband who not only enjoys cooking but would plan all our meals a week ahead if I let, which I don't as I like to be a bit more spontaneous, especially on these rare fine days when we like to eat out on the patio. His example has rubbed off on the boys, particularly the older one. Now he is home from university for the summer he helps in the kitchen and even prepared our supper on Monday. He also made home made pesto this week, a blackcurrant cheesecake (with our own blackcurrants) and a lemon drizzle cake!

GA, Riverdance sounds fun and I bet Laura loved it!

MF, I hope the gig goes well tonight. :thumbsup:

rcknalwys
07-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Hope all goes well tonight Mrs Frey. TGOS, rest, read and put on some cds and I'm sure the voices of the Eagles will make the time go faster. Maleah, try not to stress too much but stand your ground.

sodascouts
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I also have just read The Grapes of Wrath after hearing (reading) Freypower's post about it a while back. I loved it. It really opened my eyes about the poor migrant workers of the 30's.

I read that back in high school, and I absolutely loved it too! Another of Steinbeck's that I love is East of Eden. In fact, I liked it so much that I assigned it in one of my literature classes and taught it!

I can't stand Of Mice and Men though. The ending upsets me too much.

Brooke
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I also have just read The Grapes of Wrath after hearing (reading) Freypower's post about it a while back. I loved it. It really opened my eyes about the poor migrant workers of the 30's.

I read that back in high school, and I absolutely loved it too! Another of Steinbeck's that I love is East of Eden. In fact, I liked it so much that I assigned it in one of my literature classes and taught it!

I read East of Eden a couple years ago, too. Another great read. You would have thought that I would have had to read The Grapes of Wrath in high school, too, but I sure don't remember it at all. My son said he had to read parts of it. :?

I won't bother with M & M!

DonFan
07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
I also love East of Eden and the Grapes of Wrath. The movie of the latter, starring the great Henry Fonda, is one of my favorites.

I completely agree.

Freypower
07-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Ditto to all above. I also recommend Cannery Row. One day I'll visit Monterey. One day.

My reading recently has been James' The Ambassadors, Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter and now Stendahl's The Red And The Black. After that I have Conrad's Nostromo and Hugo's Les Miserables to read.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm reading all the classic's right now (they're on my list of books to read before college). I really liked 1984 and Animal Fram. I also enjoyed the Grapes of Wrath and i liked Of Mice and Men. I think my next book is going to be War And Peace.

Freypower
07-26-2008, 08:16 PM
GOS, I wish you luck with War & Peace, which is in my opinion the greatest book of all time.

TimothyBFan
07-27-2008, 11:51 AM
You all are making me feel really ignorant right now-I love cheap trashy romance novels!!! What can I say!! I love to read and have read, many many years ago, the classics but the last 20 years or so I have a hard time trying to remember to take a shower and get dressed in the morning because I am so busy. No way could I keep my mind on anything that isn't pretty much mindless reading when I get the chance. Oh, and the occasional rock n roll book. I guess at least I am reading right?

sodascouts
07-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh, I love those too! Especially the historical romances.

Just recently I've been reading Gaelyn Foley's series that begins with The Duke, and I love it! My favorite romance author of all time is Elizabeth Lowell, though. Her "Only" series is terrific, as is her medieval series which begins with Untamed. I also enjoy Christine Feehan's "sisters" series.

Glennsallnighter
07-28-2008, 05:35 AM
I'm blessed with a husband who not only enjoys cooking but would plan all our meals a week ahead if I let, which I don't as I like to be a bit more spontaneous, especially on these rare fine days when we like to eat out on the patio. His example has rubbed off on the boys, particularly the older one. Now he is home from university for the summer he helps in the kitchen and even prepared our supper on Monday. He also made home made pesto this week, a blackcurrant cheesecake (with our own blackcurrants) and a lemon drizzle cake!

GEF, Have they ever been to Dublin :wink: ?

Glennsallnighter
07-28-2008, 05:43 AM
I had my school reunion on Friday night last and I must say we had a blast. I did NOT have a good final 2 years in school (due to the fact that I had been changed into a new school at 15 and never settled) and consequently had not been in touch with any of these people bar 1. However experience is a great teacher and time is a great healer and after having a few discussions with others realised that I wasn't the only person having a hard time those days. It was really great to see how everyone else was doing, and whet we had all achieved!! For the first time I felt like I was PART of the class, not just an outsider. Plenty of champagne and wine flowed and we all left with the idea that we'll do it all again in 2 years to celebrate 25 years. We also have contact numbers. We'll see what happens!!

BTW, Guess what colour I got my nails done for the occasion :wink:

Mrs Henley
07-28-2008, 06:10 AM
I had my school reunion on Friday night last and I must say we had a blast. I did NOT have a good final 2 years in school (due to the fact that I had been changed into a new school at 15 and never settled) and consequently had not been in touch with any of these people bar 1. However experience is a great teacher and time is a great healer and after having a few discussions with others realised that I wasn't the only person having a hard time those days. It was really great to see how everyone else was doing, and whet we had all achieved!! For the first time I felt like I was PART of the class, not just an outsider. Plenty of champagne and wine flowed and we all left with the idea that we'll do it all again in 2 years to celebrate 25 years. We also have contact numbers. We'll see what happens!!

BTW, Guess what colour I got my nails done for the occasion :wink:

Awh sad that you didn't had a great time at school :(
I hope you had a lot of fun :)

Oh and I guess that your nails were pink ;)

DonFan
07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
GEF, you are indeed lucky to have a man who loves to cook.

GA, glad you had a good time at your reunion. My high school hosts reunions in ten year increments, so I have gone to my 10th, 20th and 30th (ouch, it hurts to admit that one). You are right--time is a great healer. I had a good time at each reunion, but in different ways. At our 10th, everyone was still hanging out with the same groups they hung out with in school, and the main topics of conversation were where they graduated from college and their weddings, and many were pregnant and/or had small children. At our 20th, we had people with children from babies to their teens, and many divorces and second marriages (me included)--some were even on their third! By the last reunion, all the groups and cliques had truly faded away, everyone was just glad to see everyone again.

Brooke
07-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Ga, sounds like you had a great class reunion and I'm picking pink for your nail color, too! Only HOT pink! :wink:

We've been to several, but none too memorable. We missed our 25th and didn't have a 30th. Hubby and I are planning to get the 35th one going, which will be next summer.

My hubby will cook, but he doesn't love it by any means. If I am going to be late, he will start what I have planned or will do whatever he can think of. It has to be pretty easy though. He's perfectly willing, but it seems I have to tell him what to do.

Freypower
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
My 30 year reunion is on August 30 in Newcastle. I have no idea what it will be like. I just hope my old 'group' of friends turn up.

Glennsallnighter
07-29-2008, 04:18 AM
You girls know me too well. PINK is right! Fuschia to be precise. To match my fuschia and slightly cream dress. I'm wearing alot of fuschia of late :wink:

Because we had no reunion up to now I suppose we were combining all the births, marriages and divorces into one!! As well as the careers!! But the thing was, the cliques have broken up completely and evferybody was just glad to see each other again!

FP I hope yours goes well next month. I'm sure you'll all have a blast! :D

Mrs Frey
07-29-2008, 04:26 AM
GA, I'm glad your reunion went so well.

FP, I hope yours goes just as well.

sodascouts
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
It's always nice the reunions are fun! Hope yours is too, FP.

I missed my 10th reunion - I wasn't about to fly from Indiana to Texas for it! Maybe when the 20th rolls around I'll be able to go.

TimothyBFan
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Ok, I am feeling really OLD today--My son turns 18 today! Geez-wasn't I just changing his diaper and walking the floors at night with him? :shrug:

DonFan
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I feel your pain, Willie. My youngest is 16 and driving--this is the first year I will NOT be driving a child to school--and my oldest will be 20 in a month :shock:

07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Oh good grief - I know exactly how you both feel. This morning I was chatting with one of my peers at work who is one of these tech wizards. We were talking about moms and he mentioned that his mom was born the same year that I was. I just put my hands over my ears and told him to stop. Then he laughed at me. That little smart a$$! :D :wink:

Glennsallnighter
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Well TBF and DF, looks like you have done a great job over the last 20 or so years. Your kids are a credit to you. At Our reunion the other night one of us had left her 17 year old for the night with the warning
'Be careful! I don't want to be a grandmother yet' :lol:

tbs fanatic
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok, I am feeling really OLD today--My son turns 18 today! Geez-wasn't I just changing his diaper and walking the floors at night with him? :shrug:

I feel for you tbf. My son turns 18 next May - he's already told me he's 'heading out' the millisecond he turns 18 :roll:

Glennsallnighter
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Don't worry, TBSF, when he realises that he'll have to do his own cooking and cleaning and fork out for the bills he'll be back with a lorry load of respect for you as well!

Mrs Frey
08-01-2008, 02:28 AM
TBF, DF and TBSF, I can't imagine what it feels like for all of you with your children seemingly growing up so fast. I still have to walk that road.

TBSF, I agree with GA about your son! :lol: Why is it that young people are so keen to venture out on their own? It's not always fun being an adult.

TimothyBFan
08-01-2008, 08:30 AM

I feel for you tbf. My son turns 18 next May - he's already told me he's 'heading out' the millisecond he turns 18 :roll:

So did our son a few months back -until we asked him who was paying for his internet service, cell phone, school supplies, food, etc.... hmmm! Even with a job at McDonalds, which during the summer he works full time, he decided it might be better to stay home, at least till he is finished this year with his senior year of high school. I have a feeling he may stick around for awhile after that too. :)

tbs fanatic
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
lol - good point tbf. I think my son thinks the 'money fairies' are going to take care of that stuff :?

Ooops! I forgot - my little bit of news. I have a new great nephew :D My nephew and his wife had their first child on Wednesday. He arrived about 4 weeks early but is doing well. This is my sister's first grandchild so everyone is very excited. Sadly, they are in England and I am in US so I will have to do with pictures for now, pictures I am impatiently waiting for.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
TBF - If it makes you feel any better i told my mom the same thing that i was out the day I turned 18 but that's not going to happen. I have to wait 2 months until college starts.

TBSF - When your son is done with those 'money fairies' you tell him to send some of them my way. And congrats on the new great nephew.

Mrs Henley
08-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Ooops! I forgot - my little bit of news. I have a new great nephew :D My nephew and his wife had their first child on Wednesday. He arrived about 4 weeks early but is doing well. This is my sister's first grandchild so everyone is very excited. Sadly, they are in England and I am in US so I will have to do with pictures for now, pictures I am impatiently waiting for.

Congratssssss :D

tbs fanatic
08-01-2008, 06:07 PM
TGOS - Where in West Virginia are you? My hubby is from Moundsville, WV.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
TGOS - Where in West Virginia are you? My hubby is from Moundsville, WV.

I live in Parkersburg its right along to Ohio about 2 hours south of Moundsville I have family there. However im moving to Morgantown in about a year.

Glennsallnighter
08-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Congrats on the new Grand nephew tbsf! I'm sure those pics will be adorable when you get them.

sodascouts
08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Well, I'm off to my graduation ceremony today! Family's been in town and it's been pretty crazy, but it's all about to come to a head. I still can't believe it!

DonFan
08-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Congratulations on this monumental accomplishment, Nancy! I know the graduation will be beautiful. Enjoy yourself and celebrate!

Brooke
08-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Congratulations Nancy! Have a wonderful day! :yay:

tbs fanatic
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Congratulations. Have fun and enjoy. :cheers:

Mrs Henley
08-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Congratulations and enjoy!!!! :D

08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Way to go, Nanc. Have fun and enjoy what you have achieved with your loved ones.
:applause: :thumbsup: :headbang:

glenneaglesfan
08-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Congratulations on your graduation ceremony, Soda, and hope you have a great day with your family! We're looking forward to hearing all about it.

Ok, I am feeling really OLD today--My son turns 18 today! Geez-wasn't I just changing his diaper and walking the floors at night with him? :shrug: TBF, my younger son was 18 in May and can buy his own beer now! He has no intention of moving out just yet - life's too good. He has a place at university for 2009, but in the meantime is looking for a job. Older son, 20, has been living away during university terms for two years, but has decided on the soft option and moved back home for his final year. At least he has found an evening job, so I'll be relieved of sponsoring his nights out!

Tbsf, congratulations on your new great nephew!

Freypower
08-02-2008, 06:36 PM
You earned it, Nancy. This is 'your Thanksgiving'.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Cangrats Nancy

TimothyBFan
08-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Sure hope you had a great day Nancy-surrounded by family and friends! It is definitely well deserved!! Congrats once again! :P

sodascouts
08-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the congrats, guys! The past week has been INSANE. Not only did I have family over, but a friend from out of town also came to stay with me. It was fun, but there was little time for the Border or the sites, I'm afraid! I will try to make up for lost time now. ;)

Before the ceremony, they had us all meet in the armory, which was not air conditioned. It was over 90 degrees outside. All the PhDs were wearing heavy velvet robes as opposed to the lighter ones worn by those getting lesser degrees, and we were dying! I was red and sweating, praying to God I didn't faint from the oppressive heat magnified by everyone being squashed up together in a relatively small space. Lining up was much more complicated than it should have been, with people crushed up in clumps instead of in a line. There was a lot of confusion about where we were supposed to stand. We joked with each other that we were getting doctorates but it took us almost an hour to figure out how to line up in alphabetical order. But hey, there were over 200 of us (all the Purdue PhDs from Aeronautics to Zoology!)

Then it was time to go. Since it was a summer graduation, all the schools and all the degrees were done in one ceremony. Only the PhDs got to have a ceremonial hooding, however. "Hooding" is basically having the dean or a member of your committee drape a bi-colored velvet/cloth cape-type thingy over your head, signifying you as a Doctor of Philosophy. The "hood" fastened at the neck and hung down to mid-back. With that thing pressing against my throat, its fabric swinging heavily behind me every time I took a step, I could barely catch my breath! A female professor was saying the design was prejudiced against women because men could hook it on the collar button of their dress shirt, whereas women just had to endure.

I made it across the stage without mishap. I was was announced, hooded, presented with my diploma, and told "congratulations, Doctor" by the president of the university as she shook my hand... and then it was over. It actually was kind of anticlimactic, because the moment I TRULY felt like a PhD was the moment I held my bound 200-page dissertation in my hands a few days earlier. I'll never forget that feeling!

Freypower
08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
That's a great story Soda. Graduations are nerve wracking. Mine was back in 1982 when I got my Bachelor of Arts from the Australian National University. Ours were presented by the university's Vice-Chancellor. I wore my mother's robe. The only separate thing I got was the hood with a blue lining. Another nice thing was that at the university hall of residence dinner, my parents got to wear their robes (I suspect my mother wore my father's BSc robe and he wore his BEd robe or the other way around as I was in my mother's robe).

Back when my mother got her BA from Sydney University (1957), the graduation ceremony was the only time the graduates were allowed to walk on the hallowed grass of the university quadrangle. I don't know if that's still the case.

Mrs Frey
08-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Congratulations once again, Soda. You've worked so hard and you deserve every great moment of what you've experienced. It's a fantastic achievement. :nod:

Maleah
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
What an achievement Nancy! That is AWESOME! Congratulations!

Glennsallnighter
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Where to start!!!

Congratulations from me too Nancy! I'm glad you had such a good ceremony. It certainly was a great honour and reflected all your hard work. The Heat was on indeed! Pictures? I remember my Bachelors graduation day being stifling hot as well, and having to wear a heavy gown!

I had intended announcing on this thread that I was going away for the last 4 days, but I couldn't due to the hacking. I did go and am back! We just went down the country to a place called kilkenny. 4 days off the internet was sheer hell, but at least Laura and I could comandeer the music in the car......!

Last night I was in the bathroom of the hotel. Laura was acting up a bit. I heard hubby say 'If you don't stop no Glenn :heart: Frey music tomorrow', to which I responded 'Hey thats punishing me too :wink: !!'
Needless to say there wasn't another word out of her!!

glenneaglesfan
08-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Great to hear that you got through the ceremony without mishap, Soda. I hope you may be able to show us some pictures later on. It must have been an impressive sight - two hundred Doctors of Philosophy together! When I got my degree it was presented by the late and great Queen Mother in the Royal Albert Hall, and was completely nerve-racking.

Welcome back, GA, and how funny that your hubby is using Glenn to train Laura! I think he has finally grasped the situation! :wink:

TimothyBFan
08-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Last night I was in the bathroom of the hotel. Laura was acting up a bit. I heard hubby say 'If you don't stop no Glenn :heart: Frey music tomorrow', to which I responded 'Hey thats punishing me too :wink: !!'
Needless to say there wasn't another word out of her!!

Absolutely love the fact that "NO GLENN MUSIC" can be used as a punishment--that is priceless!!

SweetHolly
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM
My grandma died a couple of weeks ago. :cry: I'm really sad. I miss her so much and I will always cherish the great memories I had with her.

Glennsallnighter
08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh Holly! I'm so sorry. :( . I knew she had been ill and that you were close to her. I'm sure she is at peace now. Meantime our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :hug:

Glennsallnighter
08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
When I got my degree it was presented by the late and great Queen Mother in the Royal Albert Hall, and was completely nerve-racking.

WOW GEF, did you actually manage to meet the 'Queen Mum' then?

Welcome back, GA, and how funny that your hubby is using Glenn to train Laura! I think he has finally grasped the situation! :wink:

He's getting there :wink:

Brooke
08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Soda on getting through your graduation ceremony in the stifling heat! I'm sure you are glad it's all over and you can get on with life! :applause: :applause: :applause:

gef, very cool about the Queen Mum!

Ga, you hubby is definitely catching on! :headbang:

And Holly, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Remember the good times you had with her.

DonFan
08-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandma, Holly. You will always cherish the memories you have of her.

Mrs Henley
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Gosh Holly, I'm so sorry to hear that!
Take care and you are in my prayers!

DonFan
08-10-2008, 06:55 PM
You will never believe what I ended up doing Friday night. My friend Lisa & I were invited to be backup singers for a little cover band that was playing on the patio at that local pizza joint in our neighborhood. Chris, Reed, & Bill, the band guys, are really nice and longtime friends of ours--Chris lives across the street from Lisa & her hubby David--and they knew we liked to sing, since we both sing in the church choir & have been friends for years. When they first suggested we sing with them, we just laughed bec we didn’t really think they would follow through. When they called and said they actually had booked a gig, we were so surprised! They rehearsed about 20 songs, and picked two Eagles songs for us to sing on—How Long and Already Gone. Lisa & I had a three hour band practice with them the night before the gig and I came home almost hoarse. It was really fun, and I have a new appreciation for what "real" bands go through. We must've sang How Long 25 times as the guys adjusted the mics, the speakers, & the sound over & over. They even split Lisa & me up on separate mics then decided we sounded better sharing a mic singing next to each other. I felt much more comfortable that way too--she is an elementary school music teacher and a much better singer than me. She really didn't really know the songs that well so she was learning her part from scratch, and it was a little harder for me bec I have sung the melody on these songs for so long that I am really had to work to remember to sing the harmony part. I was singing Don's part and she was singing Timothy's part a third higher than me.

Friday night we were very nervous, but all our families & friends were there to support us so we had a few beers, loosened up and just had fun with it. Everyone clapped so hard so us that we ended up going back up at the very end of the night to do an encore of How Long. We ended up having a really good time!

08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
OMG - A Star Is Born All I can say is when you start hanging out on a regular basis with your buddy Don, don't forget us little people that knew you "back when". :D :D :D

SH - Sorry to hear about your grandmother. And I think I'm too far behind on everything else to try to catch up on this thread - however, I'll give it a shot:

GA - I am so proud that you are getting hubby on the right track in child-rearing - the thought of being cut off of Glenn music is enough to scare the daylights out of any young child! :wink:

And gef - Wow - I am impressed that the Queen Mum attended your graduation ceremony. That must have been quite special and Soda, I'm glad you enjoyed your ceremony. I can just see all those PhDs try to form a single line now! :? :wink:

Glennsallnighter
08-10-2008, 07:17 PM
DF, that sounds like you had a great time, both rehearsing and singing! Now you know why the tickets to the Eagles gigs cost so much........ all that pre show dedication :wink:

Glennsallnighter
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
GA - I am so proud that you are getting hubby on the right track in child-rearing - the thought of being cut off of Glenn music is enough to scare the daylights out of any young child! :wink:

.......and enough to scare the living daylights out of her older mom as well Dreamer! :wink:

DonFan
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
DF, that sounds like you had a great time, both rehearsing and singing! Now you know why the tickets to the Eagles gigs cost so much........ all that pre show dedication :wink:
Yeah, and our show was free & all I got paid was free pizza & beer! :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
08-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Oh well......Its a start DF :wink:

TimothyBFan
08-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Holly-I'm so sorry to hear that! It is so very hard to deal with losing someone that has been close to you. Hang in there-the pain eases after awhile but it never goes entirely away. It helps to remember all the fun and special times you had with her. Those will always be with you!

sodascouts
08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
When I got my degree it was presented by the late and great Queen Mother in the Royal Albert Hall, and was completely nerve-racking.

WOW! How amazing! I think you win the prize for more impressive ceremony, GEF!

And DF - getting to be a backup singer for band - I bet you rocked the Eagles tunes especially!

Hmm, Don has employed female backing singers in the past - perhaps you should apply for the job! ;)

sodascouts
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Sweet Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hopefully she is in a better place now.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
wow guys I've missed so much.

Soda - congrats again.

SH - I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother

DF - Sounds like you had alot of fun

I've spent the last 5 days in PA (most of my family is there) Friday we went to Kennywood and had alot of fun. Saturday was a Commumity Day thing in the little town that I grew up in there was food and live music. There was this guy who sang and played guitar and he did a cover of "Lyin' Eyes" which was pretty good. Then on Sunday myself, my best friend and my aunt and uncle went to see Poison and Dokken. They were both good (I think Dokken was better) but what was really cool was that while they were setting up for Poison they played Joe Walsh. All in all it was a pretty good weekend.

Brooke
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
DF, your new profession as back up singer is really cool! A agree with dreamer, A Star Is Born!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! 8)

Mrs Henley
08-11-2008, 04:39 PM
DF, fabulous! :D Maybe you will sing someday as backup with Don! :D
Sounds indeed as a lot of fun!

Molly
08-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, this Summer has been...ummm...interesting. I hope everyone is well and wish everyone the best!

I've been lurking somewhat, but needed to take an "Eagles break" to concentrate on some other things that have been going on. The new, close-by concert announcements have me excited once again.

We've had everything happen in my family the past few weeks from people leaving home, people coming back home, Peter getting robbed, another relative being diagnosed with cancer, a corporate take-over where I work, a much anticipated baby's arrival, my oldest son, Tom, breaking up with his girlfriend of 3 years, Zoe's medical problems, my mom's illness, my mother-in-law currently in the hospital, an impending divorce...Whew!

You know, the usual! :wink: But, things will look up, as they always do! I look forward to staying more in touch with my Border friends!

TimothyBFan
08-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Glad to see you back Molly. Hang in there! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now and I hope everything goes better than expected for you and your family.

Mrs Frey
08-13-2008, 06:33 AM
My grandma died a couple of weeks ago. :cry: I'm really sad. I miss her so much and I will always cherish the great memories I had with her.

I'm so so sorry, SH. :hug: :hug: :hug: I wish I could do or say something to comfort you, but I know that there's nothing anyone can do to dull the pain. My thoughts are with you.

It was my mother's birthday yesterday, and I had a tough day. She's been gone for 2 years and 5 months now, and it doesn't get any easier without her.

Mrs Frey
08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
You will never believe what I ended up doing Friday night. My friend Lisa & I were invited to be backup singers for a little cover band that was playing on the patio at that local pizza joint in our neighborhood. Chris, Reed, & Bill, the band guys, are really nice and longtime friends of ours--Chris lives across the street from Lisa & her hubby David--and they knew we liked to sing, since we both sing in the church choir & have been friends for years. When they first suggested we sing with them, we just laughed bec we didn’t really think they would follow through. When they called and said they actually had booked a gig, we were so surprised! They rehearsed about 20 songs, and picked two Eagles songs for us to sing on—How Long and Already Gone. Lisa & I had a three hour band practice with them the night before the gig and I came home almost hoarse. It was really fun, and I have a new appreciation for what "real" bands go through. We must've sang How Long 25 times as the guys adjusted the mics, the speakers, & the sound over & over. They even split Lisa & me up on separate mics then decided we sounded better sharing a mic singing next to each other. I felt much more comfortable that way too--she is an elementary school music teacher and a much better singer than me. She really didn't really know the songs that well so she was learning her part from scratch, and it was a little harder for me bec I have sung the melody on these songs for so long that I am really had to work to remember to sing the harmony part. I was singing Don's part and she was singing Timothy's part a third higher than me.

Friday night we were very nervous, but all our families & friends were there to support us so we had a few beers, loosened up and just had fun with it. Everyone clapped so hard so us that we ended up going back up at the very end of the night to do an encore of How Long. We ended up having a really good time!

Woo hoo hoo :wink: DF! I am so proud of you, girlfriend! :nod: That is absolutely wonderful. I would love to have been there to support you (and maybe even join you! :blush: ). Those are terrific songs to sing, and two of my favourites too. I've only heard one band locally cover "How Long", and when I heard it, I nearly had a heart attack! I got so excited that I literally ran to where the band was playing (I had been sitting in a section cordoned off from the band) and just danced around excitedly. I couldn't believe it!

I saw a band last Friday night play "Get Over It", which was also a great thrill for me. Needless to say, I was dancing up a storm and singing along too! The lead singer is an acquaintance of mine and I was hoping he would call me up to do the song, but he didn't! :( We actually jammed on the song two months ago, at a friend's house.

We played quite a few gigs last month, but don't have anything more lined up yet. We did four gigs in a row at a cycling arena from 12 to 16 July, with each gig scheduled for one hour. The third day we played our gig lasted 20 minutes, as the organisers of the international cycling event were at pains to get the racing schedule back on track, as they were running late. The idea was that we play for the spectators during the break time each day. It was somewhat impersonal, because the spectators were sitting so far away from us, but a few people approached me afterwards giving me some really positive feedback, most of whom were from Australia. We also conducted a Karaoke competition during the course of proceedings, and although entrants were few and far between, it turned out to be a lot of fun. I stood by to assist the singers when they got lost, but most of the time my help was not needed. Two of the cycling commissaires on duty were the judges, and they handed out medals for the three winners (well, there were only three participants, LOL!).

On a more personal note, one of the aforementioned cycling commissaires asked for my number... :heybaby:

On 25 July we played for the local yacht club's "Christmas In July" function. That was a four and a half hour affair, which was extremely successful and a joy at which to play. The crowd was one of the best I've ever played for. Simply fantastic.

Mrs Frey
08-13-2008, 06:55 AM

Wow, GEF, that is very impressive indeed! I can imagine how nervous you must have been! :shock:

Mrs Frey
08-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Yeah, and our show was free & all I got paid was free pizza & beer! :hilarious:

:rofl: DF, welcome to the world of "paying your dues"! :wink: We've played some gigs where we played for free for so-called "exposure" and had to pay for our meal too! :roll:

Mrs Frey
08-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, this Summer has been...ummm...interesting. I hope everyone is well and wish everyone the best!

I've been lurking somewhat, but needed to take an "Eagles break" to concentrate on some other things that have been going on. The new, close-by concert announcements have me excited once again.

We've had everything happen in my family the past few weeks from people leaving home, people coming back home, Peter getting robbed, another relative being diagnosed with cancer, a corporate take-over where I work, a much anticipated baby's arrival, my oldest son, Tom, breaking up with his girlfriend of 3 years, Zoe's medical problems, my mom's illness, my mother-in-law currently in the hospital, an impending divorce...Whew!

You know, the usual! :wink: But, things will look up, as they always do! I look forward to staying more in touch with my Border friends!

Oh my gosh, Molly! :shock: It seems you and your family have been to hell and back over the last while. I've been thinking about you and wondering why you were so quiet. I'm really sorry for all the hardships you've had to endure and seemingly will still endure. My thoughts are with you. I'm glad that you've been able to visit us, and hope that you'll make it to an Eagles concert soon to help cheer you up a bit.

I've been quite down lately, which is why I've been a bit quiet myself on these pages (and why I've had so much catching up to do!), but I realise that I'm not the only one with problems and issues, and should be grateful for what I have. Life can get depressing and lonely sometimes, though. Sometimes I feel that nothing works out the way I'd like it to, despite putting a lot of effort into everything, especially relationships and friendships. :sigh: One cannot go through life alone, but it seems that people are so busy these days that they just don't have time for me. I have my own things to do, but I feel that we need to make time for each other, otherwise what are we working for? Without having people in our lives to love and care for us, material wealth means nothing.

DonFan
08-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Molly, my thoughts are with you as you continue to cope with all the difficulties in your life.

Mrs F, thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed singing with that little band more than I expected to, and I am looking forward to doing it again sometime. It really was fun. I am glad you have had some interesting gigs lately--and I know it must be great when the crowd really appreciates you.

Without having people in our lives to love and care for us, material wealth means nothing. Well put, and SO true!

Brooke
08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Wow, Molly, now I understand why you have been quiet around here! I hope all these things work out for the best and life will get back to some kind of normal soon.

Mrs F, I'm sorry you are feeling a bit down at remembering your Mother's passing. Keep your chin up and keep on keepin' on.

I've had a bit of an upset myself. Our son moved home last winter and now has moved back to his college town with his girlfriend. (We actually figured that his move home would either make or break the relationship.) We expected it as he was missing her so much, but just thought he would tell us ahead of time. He went down there last Friday to job hunt and we thought he would be home as usual on Sunday. As it turned out, he has had interviews this week and has decided to just stay! I think he just couldn't come out and tell us and found it easier this way! Kids! Especially grown up kids!!! You know, you think that when they get out of college and have a job that they will be out of your hair. Well, you never know! :roll: But, no matter what, we love them and will always be there to help when needed.

TimothyBFan
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Brooke-I dread those days coming up!! My kids went back to school today, son's senior year of high school and daughter's sophomore year. I can not believe that I am a mother of a senior and the days of them wanting to "get out" will be soon upon us. Kind of mixed feelings about it all. Want to see them move on and do what they want to do in life but also scared to death to let them do it!!

Mrs F-I know what you mean. Life's been a little rough around here also and it seems sometimes life just isn't gonna get better before it gets worse and that no one is there or understands. Thank God for the people in our lives that stick beside us thru it all and somehow get us thru it!! They may be few at times but they are the most important ones also.

Brooke
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Kind of mixed feelings about it all. Want to see them move on and do what they want to do in life but also scared to death to let them do it!!

I know exactly what you mean.

When they go off to college it helps with the worrying. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Somewhat. Yes, you still worry, but I guess the daily comings and goings aren't witnessed first hand. If you don't know what they are doing, you don't know to worry! KWIM?

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Molly! I did miss you and guessed you were BBF! I hope all the issues in your life sort themselves out soon. We are all thinking of you and know you will come out a stronger person at the end of everything. :hug:

Meantime there are a few gigs to look forward to :wink:

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Doesn't time fly Brooke and TBF! I'm sure you can remember so clearly when your kids were at my kids stage!! I hope Brooke that your son finds a job that he enjoys and that he and his girlfriend have a happy life together. TBF I hope your kids do very well in school this year. My daughter is into jher fourth year in primary and my son starts on Monday 1st September! A new era!

But I can understand how you both feel as they spread their wings

Mrs Henley
08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I can't talk with you all about that, I only can say: Time flies! I'm starting in college this year (August 25 my first day) and I can remember the first day at High School as it was like yesterday! Didn't have a great time there, but I can remember it.

Brooke, I hope your son really finds soon a job and that everything would be back to normal! :)
TBF, hope your kids are going to make it great this year at school!
GA, I'm hoping that your kids will have a great time at school!

Mrs Henley
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Molly, I hope everything would be soon getting OK! I'm thinking of you!

Molly
10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Hubby doesn't know it yet, but we're going to the symphony for our anniversary. This should be fun! It's been years since we've seen the MSO (Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/EaglesMSO.jpg

Aggrrrhhhh! They've cancelled this show due to "travel restrictions". There go our anniversary plans.

Mrs Henley
10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Awh Molly! That's so sad to hear! :(
Hope you both find something to look forward too! :)

TimothyBFan
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
That stinks Molly--I was really curious to hear about it from you.

Glennsallnighter
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I too was interested to see how this would be! I hope you find something else to do for your anniversary.