PDA

View Full Version : American Idol

Pages : [1] 2 3

tbs fanatic
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Okay, have to put in a word for David Cook on American Idol. I actually have not been following AI but David Cook is from Kansas City and he is in the top two finalists. Hence there has been mucho news about David Cook locally. I have heard a bit of his stuff and he seems pretty good so 'GO DAVID RAH, RAH, RAH' :partytime: :partytime:

sodascouts
05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't watch it but hey, I'll take your word for it!

GO DAVID! :)

tbs fanatic
05-16-2008, 11:17 AM
LOL - I wouldn't know this except for the fact that local radio stations cannot stop going on about it.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-16-2008, 11:09 PM
OMG - I don't watch TV hardly at all, so I don't know anything about him either.

I did follow Rock the Cradle because Lucy was on it. However, honestly most of the time, I'd forget to watch the show on television and ended up watching it on the Internet instead. :roll:

DonFan
05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
I have watched AI since the beginning of this season, and I also want David Cook to win. Both Davids are talented but David Cook has my vote!

Molly
05-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I have watched AI since the beginning of this season, and I also want David Cook to win. Both Davids are talented but David Cook has my vote!

Same here. Go David Cook!

DonFan
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
David Cook just won American Idol!
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
There was just something about his sexy sandpaper/smooth voice that I loved. It reminded me of someone..... 8)

Congrats David C!

Share1967
05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I am glad David Cook won, being from Missouri too. Plus....I just love a rocker. :D

EasyFeeling
05-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I am glad David Cook won, being from Missouri too. Plus....I just love a rocker. :D

You love a rocker? Then you should come over to the German Idol and take a look. :twisted:

I've heard David Cook won. Congratulations! :D I don't know all songs but I liked what I've heard. 8)

tbs fanatic
05-22-2008, 09:12 AM
YAY! :yay: :yay: Congrats to David :D

Maleah
05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm so excited that David Cook won!!!!!! I didn't think it was going to happen with the way everyone was oohing and aahing over D. Archuleta. I'll admit it...I'm an American Idol fan and watch it every year. This year DC was my favorite since the very beginning and the ONLY reason that me, my niece, my sis, my nephew, and his girlfriend bought tickets to see the AI tour in Minneapolis on Aug. 31! :D On an interesting side note, my nephew's girlfriend's sister-in-law (got that? lol) used to date DC in college.

On another note......if anyone is interested in listening to Mr. Cook..I would recommend downloading these songs (the studio versions) -

Billie Jean
Little Sparrow
Innocent
Eleanor Rigby
Always Be My Baby

Molly
05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Darn it if something else didn't interfere with seeing the finals of American Idol! :wink:

I didn't know who had won until I saw someone ahead of me on the airplane reading a USA today. Yeah!!! I'm glad David C. won!

Freypower
05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't watch 'Idol' programs but the Australian competitor Michael Johns had a lot of publicity down here. There was talk that he was unlucky to lose. I know that is the parochial Australian media so can one of you non-biased Americans tell me what he was like (if you remember him at all, that is)?

Share1967
05-23-2008, 07:31 PM

You love a rocker? Then you should come over to the German Idol and take a look. :twisted:

I've heard David Cook won. Congratulations! :D I don't know all songs but I liked what I've heard. 8)

Yep, I love guys that rock. I need to check out the German Idol if they have some fellas on there like that. I was really into the big hair bands in the 80's :D :D

Share1967
05-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't watch 'Idol' programs but the Australian competitor Michael Johns had a lot of publicity down here. There was talk that he was unlucky to lose. I know that is the parochial Australian media so can one of you non-biased Americans tell me what he was like (if you remember him at all, that is)?

I really liked Michael Johns too. In fact liked him more than David Cook. He was another rocker. If I remember correctly the night they had inspirational songs night he did Aerosmiths Dream On. Simon told him he made a mistake in the song. I thought it was great. .....but..next night he was gone. If I am remembering correctly. :D

Maleah
05-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I liked Michael Johns a lot as well. In fact, I would say he was probably the most natural on stage, definently a performer. Vocally I liked him but didn't think he had as strong a voice as David Cook. I think he had a little more mellow voice that DC's...which isn't bad but I like a little rasp. ;) The judges said several times that he had a natural ability to be a big time frontman for a huge band and I definently agree with that. And Dolly Parton definently fell for him! :D

Share1967
05-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I liked Michael Johns a lot as well. In fact, I would say he was probably the most natural on stage, definently a performer. Vocally I liked him but didn't think he had as strong a voice as David Cook. I think he had a little more mellow voice that DC's...which isn't bad but I like a little rasp. ;) The judges said several times that he had a natural ability to be a big time frontman for a huge band and I definently agree with that. And Dolly Parton definently fell for him! :D

I agree. Very accurate description. :D

Molly
05-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I agree, also with Maleah's description.

Michael was very likable and very handsome. Probably, the best looking of the bunch. He did have an incredible voice. The comparisons (because of his looks and his voice) to Michael Hutchence were inevitable.

I agree with Simon's description that he seemed to be doing an "impersonation" of whatever artist he was doing. Many of his performances lacked originality which is something they are looking for. David Cook took a lot of risks with changing up arrangements, etc. which won him points with the judges.

Michael's best week IMO was singing Dolly Parton's "It's All Wrong But It's All Right". He totally changed up the arrangement and made it a blues song. Incredible.

Early on, I would have thought he had a chance to win it all, but he probably became too predictable That being said, I still think we'll be hearing more from him.

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Is there enough interest here to start a separate thread for American Idol? Is anyone else a fan? This is the place to discuss all things American Idol, and since a new season has begun there should be a lot to talk about. For instance, how does everybody feel about Alan Osmond's son getting in?

I've watched since the middle of season 1, and although my favorite part by far is the final 10 rounds, I do enjoy the auditions - some are hilarious!

What do you all think?

sodascouts
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I watched the first two seasons but kind of fell off after that. However, my interest has been piqued again recently because I like Daughtry and David Cook so much, and I've been checking it out again.

I noticed they have a new girl judge now. I hope this isn't the beginning of the phasing out of Paula! I love Paula! The new girl kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason. When she was "demonstrating" how to sing at the auditions... ugh!

As for David Osmond... hmmm. I guess we'll see. I hope he didn't get picked because of his last name, but if he did, I doubt he'll last long. He may not last long anyway, simply because the perception is out there that he may have gotten special preference.

EagleLady
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I only watch the auditions which are pretty funny. The only ones I like from Idol are Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson.

TimothyBFan
01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I confess--I don't ever watch the end of the season. I am one of those bad people that watch the auditions and laugh hysterically at some of the talentless people that seriously think they stand a chance! I haven't watched any this year tho.

sodascouts
01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
There's already been one funny/sad moment when Ryan Seacrest attempted to high-five a blind contestant. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AHHVT58NE

Ryan is a pretty boy, but... not too bright. :doh:

TimothyBFan
01-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Are you kidding me? :shock: But then I guess I could see someone doing that without even thinking about it.

sodascouts
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, and in truth, he didn't mean any harm by it, poor guy. It still made me cringe though!

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I tend to like the rockers too, Soda - the good rockers anyway. I liked Daughtry, David Cook and Bo Bice - I wanted him to beat Carrie Underwood so bad!!! However now I can appreciate her talent. The year Jennifer Hudson was in I wanted her to win. I remember when she did Circle of Life from The Lion King - she was awesome!

Does anyone have any favorites yet?

EagleLady
01-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I liked Fantasia, such a beautiful voice, Made Elton John cry when she did Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 01:48 PM
There's already been one funny/sad moment when Ryan Seacrest attempted to high-five a blind contestant. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AHHVT58NE

Ryan is a pretty boy, but... not too bright. :doh:

I saw it on tv, but wanted to watch it again to see if it looked like he was just being 'stupid funny', but you're right Soda, he was just not thinking!

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I noticed they have a new girl judge now. I hope this isn't the beginning of the phasing out of Paula! I love Paula! The new girl kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason. When she was "demonstrating" how to sing at the auditions... ugh!

I heard that the British version has four judges and so they wanted to have four on the American version too.

01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
This is almost embarrassing to admit, but I have almost never watched American Idol. I don't watch television hardly ever, and when I do it is either sports or news channels. :doh:

sodascouts
01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Why be embarrassed? It's not everyone's cup of tea.

It's too early for me to pick a fave yet - we'll see!

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
This is almost embarrassing to admit, but I have almost never watched American Idol. I don't watch television hardly ever, and when I do it is either sports or news channels. :doh:

Lol Dreamer, you sound like my husband! (No offense!):hilarious:

01-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Well - you know me, Soda. I'm not really embarrassed because nothing hardly embarrasses me - but it does make me feel kinda 'old'. :wink:

ETA: Well, apparently PM and I were posting at the same time. At least I wasn't embarrassed until she compared me to her husband. :lol: :wink:

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Dreamer, you're just in the nick of time to get in on this season - c'mon, all the cool kids are doing it! :partytime:

01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Hmmm - maybe I'll check out the schedule, and give it a look so I can be cool too!!! :headbang:

EagleLady
01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Aww Dreamer you are already cool in my eyes :)

Brooke
01-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Hmmm - maybe I'll check out the schedule, and give it a look so I can be cool too!!! :headbang:

Oh me too. :lol:

I have watched it a few times, but never regularly. I usually wait till the last few shows to see the winner. I do the same thing with Survivor anymore. But you all make it sound better than I thought, so maybe I'll give it a try. Are they done with auditions yet?

tbs fanatic
01-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I haven't checked out AI yet. I usually just start watching towards the end. The first season I watched religiously but after that my interest started dwindling. I did get into it towards the end last year because of the David Cook Madness (our radio stations could not stop talking about him). I'll have to check it out. Are there are any 'standouts' yet, this year?

DonFan
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
American Idol is big here in Birmingham because we have had so many winners--Ruben Studdard, Bo Bice and Taylor Hicks are all from here. I watched a little of the auditions this season but I don't really like to see the train wrecks--I usually wait to watch until they have picked the core group of talent.

eaglesvet
01-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I've become a fan mainly because American Idol is literally the ONLY show that our entire family has ever watched together--and I'm not much of a TV watcher. The other 3 family members far surpass me in total TV hours watched per person per unit of time. I'd much rather read, or "work" :wink: on the computer :computer:. American Idol appeals to both of us adults, as well as to both boys--ever since the younger was 6 years old. His entire first grade class would talk about it in class the next day with his teacher, who was also hooked!! Now my older son is almost 13, and we still all watch together...so how can I give it up?? I became interested near the end of the season when Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood duked it out at the end; and have watched it every season since. I think Carrie is extremely talented, as is Daughtry and David Cook. I think this season promises to be the best so far. I actually think Kara, the new judge, is the most contemporary in terms of musical base, and will lend a lot in that regard. I've also heard that they are bringing back the Judges' Wild Card (which must have been something they used before I started watching)--where the judges can bring back someone the audience has voted off. That, apparently, is how Clay Aiken returned to capture 2nd place---he had initially been voted off by the audience, but then the judges brought him back on a wild card. You can bet that Daughtry would have benefitted from that option, had it been available in his season!!

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
To all of you AI newbies who are going to try it out, please take the audition episodes with a grain of salt - the real show IMO, starts when they whittle it down to 12. Next week is Hollywood week where I think they will get it down to 24. It's all fun to watch, but I really enjoy watching the final 12 try to better themselves each week. That's when the real talent shines through!

sodascouts
01-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh man, I feel so sorry for that girl who quit her job, although it was nice of Simon to help her get it back!

And what was wrong with that contest winner Jessica's singing? I liked it just fine!

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh man, I feel so sorry for that girl who quit her job, although it was nice of Simon to help her get it back!

And what was wrong with that contest winner Jessica's singing? I liked it just fine!

I don't know... I'll never understand what makes the really bad ones think they're good. And yeah, Simon the nice guy, who woulda thunk it?

sodascouts
02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I just saw a segment I'd missed earlier on a girl named Stevie who's in contention - and who was named after Stevie Nicks. She has a good voice, too (see her audition here (http://idolnotes.com/2009/01/18/stevie-wright-audition-on-american-idol/)).

I think I have a favorite! ;)

eaglesvet
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Actually, when I initially saw that segment on TV, I immediately thought of you, Soda. I guess that's 'how I know I'm addicted to The Border!' :hilarious: I also think she has a great shot. I missed most of the audition shows (I think I only saw 3), so I have to review the contestants at the Hollywood Week shows.

tbs fanatic
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh, she was good.

sodascouts
02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Actually, when I initially saw that segment on TV, I immediately thought of you, Soda.

I'm honored!

I love that they played Stevie's "Rooms on Fire" when she got her golden ticket, too!

eaglesvet
02-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I just read today that there is a singer named Jesse Langseth in the competition who is the younger sister of blues singer Johnny Lang. I don't know Johnny Lang except that I remember he made the "Top 10 Singers" list of at least one or two Borderers, so I thought that his sister might be of interest to them. However, I have no idea who she is either, so I don't know if she survived the Hollywood round thus far or not. Just figured I would offer this bit of trivia, and that those of you to whom it pertained could do the leg work and find out whether her singing abilities matched her brother's.

I thought that the Hollywood rounds could've been televised much more effectively. I would've rather seen more of the actually singing, than so much of the personal drama and the judges' comments about the acts we didn't even see!

sodascouts
02-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Seriously! I don't care about their lame drama. Let me hear some singing!

But that version of "Don't Stop"....

:yuck::yuck::yuck:

I mean, forgetting the words???

Prettymaid
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree, the more the drama the less I want them to advance! I did a little research today and learned the names of a couple of my faves so far:

Megan Corkrey - she is very cute and had a very distinct voice during her audition, but since it didn't really show her perform during Hollywood week I have to wait and see...

Adam Lambert - did you see this guy during the group auditions??!!?? All I can say is WOW!

Soda, I see Stevie is still in the running. Anxious to see how she does!

I noticed that Alan Osmond's son did not make the cut... it's probably just as well...

Prettymaid
02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's Megan.

http://www.poptower.com/tv/american-idol/megan-corkrey/photos/6074.htm

And here's Adam.

http://www.poptower.com/tv/american-idol/adam-lambert.htm

sodascouts
02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Adam reminded me of Steve Perry a bit!

Another person who impressed me was Jasmine. Too bad about her group, though. I felt sorry for the blonde girl especially.

Not to be negative, but that Tatiana girl who is always laughing manically and making kissy noises (the one who tried to change groups)? I hope she goes home soon! She is already getting on my NERVES! And I thought all of "Team Compromise" should have been sent home, as well as the entire "Action Squad" with their botch job of "Don't Stop."

eaglesvet
02-06-2009, 02:01 AM
I also really like the male music teacher with the spiky hair and glasses in the acapella group that opened Hollywood group night (White Chocolate.) He lost his wife a couple of months ago, and he is there with a good buddy of his. His voice and persona are quite appealing.

Maleah
02-06-2009, 02:35 AM
He's my favorite too EV! He's a cutie, seems like a sweetheart (I got teary eyed when they first introduced him and he shared his story!), and man can he sing! He has that rasp and soulful sound that I love!

*edited to say - wait.....maybe that's not the one I'm talking about. lol The one I'm talking about didn't sing in the first group, white chocoate.....he sang either after them or a couple of groups later but it was acapella. Hmmmm....thinkin' now lol

Prettymaid
02-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I know Maleah, it's hard to keep them all straight right now! Believe me, if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't know any of their names yet!

sodascouts
02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Osmond says he got the boot due to laryngitis:

"An Osmond Kicked off American Idol" (http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/02/70466/index.html)

(http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/02/70466/index.html)

chaleymom
02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey guys! Just thought I'd pop in here and respond since I have to admit American Idol is one of my 'guilty pleasures'!;)

Two of my favs so far are also Adam and the guy who lost his wife (would have to go look up his name). I think they both could go really far in the competition.

I too hate all the drama.... Bikini girl? Ick! Tatiana - the laughing hyena - Double Ick!!!

I'm anxious to see how the blind guy does. If I remember, he sounded pretty good. I think I saw a clip of his next solo performance before the judges and I think he's playing they keyboard.

There was also a girl there from Cincinnati, Ohio - in my neck of the woods - and I think she went to Hollywood but didn't see if she made it through or not.

I think sometimes some of the contestants get an unfair advantage because they already have so much camera time BEFORE they get to the final twelve. For instance - you can be pretty sure that Adam will go to the final twelve - but he's already gotten so much camera time that he already has fans.... (which is good for him - but not so much for some of the others who will be in the final 12 that we haven't even seen yet).

Between watching the Bachelor on Mondays, and AI on Tues Weds and sometimes Thurs - I'm a complete couch potato!!! (Just wait til Survivor and Amazing Race starts!) I'm hopeless!

Prettymaid
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
In reading about some of the finalists, I see where some of them have already put out past albums, or have toured with successful musicals, or have been seen on television shows.I know this isn't the first year for this, but I'm curious what you all think. Is that fair, or should they all be 'unknowns'?

eaglesvet
02-06-2009, 10:55 PM
He's my favorite too EV! He's a cutie, seems like a sweetheart (I got teary eyed when they first introduced him and he shared his story!), and man can he sing! He has that rasp and soulful sound that I love!

*edited to say - wait.....maybe that's not the one I'm talking about. lol The one I'm talking about didn't sing in the first group, white chocoate.....he sang either after them or a couple of groups later but it was acapella. Hmmmm....thinkin' now lol
There can be only one guy who's young wife died a month ago, who is a music teacher, and who is going through each round along with his friend (who is a middle school band director, I think.) He definitely sang acapella, and I'm 90% sure the group went first, but I could be wrong. We'll have to touch base again when they have the top 36, and at that point I bother to learn their names!!

eaglesvet
02-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Bikini Girl was a loser, IMO, from the word 'go'. However, even if she never progressed past her first audition in the bikini, she knew exactly what she was doing...she kicked her modeling career up several notches, I'm sure, with each successive episode. Didn't matter that she couldn't sing to save her life, and her personality was as witchy as it gets.:thumbsdown: I guess you could say she was not one of my favorites.

CM...in regards to the blind singer, I also remember him being quite talented, so I'm looking forward to his next performance.

PM, I think the only stipulation is that they don't have a current recording contract. However, I definitely prefer the performers that come from nowhere to shine. But I guess that so many talented singers (from bar bands, or stage musicals, etc) audition that it's inevitable they are selected.

sodascouts
02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Well, cream rises. If the person from the backwoods without any experience can't sing well enough to beat the one who has had a prior contract, then he/she doesn't deserve to win. JMHO.

Here's something I found online that puts faces to names.

Edited to add: it's apparently the final 36, so don't click if you want to be surprised!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/axz32b.jpg

And Danny G. is the widower - you can see the video of his group performing here (http://www.rickey.org/?p=11426).

eaglesvet
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
That does help. I take it that those are the final 36, which actually haven't been shown as decided yet on TV!

sodascouts
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh shoot! Let me hide that photo as a spoiler. Sorry guys!

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 02:00 PM
You know, while it didn't occur to me before, this thread should probably go in "Singing for the Sake of the Song" since our contestants are singing their hearts out! I'm moving it.

sodascouts
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Adam didn't impress me this week. Cher's "Believe"???

But Matt Girard doing "Georgia"... wow. Incredible!

I also thought Jamal's "Hey There Delilah" wasn't that great. Widower Danny G. was better. Paula jumping up during Danny's performance was kind of lame though - it wasn't THAT great!

Anoop's "Perogative" was surprisingly good! I also like Jorge's "Closer."

I was worried about Scott being "Stunt casting" but he's definitely good.

Lil' Rounds has a great voice, even if her name grates. I bet she goes far.

I'd say Matt Girard impressed me the most tonight. He and Stevie are my current faves.

eaglesvet
02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Paula was jumping up for quite a few of the guys, as usual I guess!

I actually thought the guys overall were quite strong. I think I liked Anoop the best today. I've liked him since his audition, though I remember Simon thought he needed a wardrobe upgrade!

I thought it was quite weird that the keyboardist who made it a point to say how his song was not difficult to memorize, and then failed to get past the first 2 lines before leaving the stage voluntarily, appears to have made it through tonight's round. (I think I saw him briefly in one of the 3 "yes" rooms, though not 100% sure.) The judges have pretty much said that once you forget lyrics, you're out. I guess we'll see tomorrow if he is still in or not.

Overall, much better than last week...at least they focused more on the singing than the drama. (Oh, except for the dreaded Tatiana!)

Still haven't seen or heard from Jesse Langseth! Hopefully tomorrow!

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Tatiana - ugh! I hope she gets sent home SOON.

eaglesvet
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
She's a goner as of last night.

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Shoot, I obviously got mixed up. :blush:

WOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eaglesvet
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually, wait a minute. Now I'm not sure if she was in the room where you really thought that Randy was giving them the boot, but then kept them on; or if she was actually booted. Sorry for the confusion; I spoke too soon. I don't know where she is.:confused::blush:

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
OK - I just checked - she's still in. Since they moved her from one room to another, it's little wonder we were confused, but they were both winning rooms. Which begs the question - why did they do that?

Way to falsely get my hopes up, evet. ;)

eaglesvet
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
:grin: I guess it was just wishful thinking, judging from all the comments from the Peanut Gallery in my house.

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Just before they moved Tatiana from the losers room to the winners room it showed the judges struggling with keeping the guys and girls counts equal. Remember, they have to have an equal amount of both!

I didn't see 'my' contestant Megan Corkrey during Hollywood week either, yet it shows her in the top 36. Why do they give some people so much air time and others none?

Wait, I just read Soda's post again...they were both winners rooms?

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
That's right, PM, they were both winner's rooms. Apparently they were just screwing with the contestant's heads and hoping to create drama. Seems rather mean to me, frankly, and so unnecessary. The drama is not that interesting. We want singing!

As far as the air time given to each contestant... it's really unfair that they give so many contestants short shrift on coverage. This kind of thing could seriously sabotage the chances of those who don't get airtime - people will vote for those they've connected with due to the focus on them rather than those they don't know thanks to the lack of coverage by the producers. The other side of that is that people like Tatiana and uber-drama queen Nate aren't likely to make it very far due to their unsympathetic edits.

They give the airtime to those they have "storylines" for - those who create drama (Tatiana, etc), those who have sob stories (Danny, Scott, etc.), those who have some kind of "hook" (bikini girl, oil rig guy, "Norman Gentle," Broadway vet Adam, etc.). Then, those who mess up or get raves from the judges usually get a few seconds. The average Joes and Janes who can sing well but have no "narrative" accompanying them... they're relegated to the cutting room floor.

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't see the talent that supposedly is hidden behind the facade of "Norman Gentle"?

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree with you Soda. I don't even like him when he's 'normal'.

The good news, I guess, is that never has a drama queen (king) been voted American Idol. In fact, they usually don't last very long.

Maleah
02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Adam didn't impress me this week. Cher's "Believe"???

But Matt Girard doing "Georgia"... wow. Incredible!

I also thought Jamal's "Hey There Delilah" wasn't that great. Widower Danny G. was better. Paula jumping up during Danny's performance was kind of lame though - it wasn't THAT great!

Anoop's "Perogative" was surprisingly good! I also like Jorge's "Closer."

I was worried about Scott being "Stunt casting" but he's definitely good.

Lil' Rounds has a great voice, even if her name grates. I bet she goes far.

I'd say Matt Girard impressed me the most tonight. He and Stevie are my current faves.

Oh no no no, I must disagree.....Danny's performance WAS that great! lol I absolutely LOVED it! Take away the sad story, take away the fact that he's cute.......he has a fantastic voice! At this point he will get all my votes! ;) But then....I really like Jamal's version of "Hey There Delilah" as well. It was very smooth. I also really like Ju Not's version.

I wasn't impressed with Adam this week either. Not one of his best.

the three guys after him, Matt G (I believe), Jamal, and Danny were my 3 fav.'s of the night. Matt's version of Georgia was awesome!!

As of right now, for the girls I really like Stevie, Lil Rounds, Jessie, and Kristen

Guys I choose Danny, Matt, Michael, and Jamal.

I am NOT happy that the so called comedy guy has made it this far. :eyebrow:

sodascouts
02-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I was thinking about all the people who forgot their lyrics and made it - maybe that stipulation was just for the group round?

Maleah - I didn't think Danny was awful, but he's done better. I'm not sorry he made it through, though. Kristen, however - I wouldn't have minded seeing her sent home. That bit that Seacrest did with "What if Nancy was behind you ready to apologize...." of course she wasn't there - how lame was that??

But I don't understand why Laneshe (ex-homeless girl) went home. I thought she did well on "I'm Not Gonna Write You A Love Song."

And while I understand they're trying to build suspense, I don't like the head games. "I'm sorry... it's not good news...[long pause] it's GREAT news! You're in!"

The whole "sing-off" thing confused me. What was the purpose of that? Weren't the Top 36 already decided?

eaglesvet
02-12-2009, 06:01 AM
I had to go out and missed all of last night's show...but I read that it was "boring" on msnbc.com (where I go for pretty much all of my news.) Now I can go back and study Soda's spoiler picture and see the end result! One thing I also read was a little disturbing about new judge Kara, whom up until now I really think is a needed addition. She has gone on the record as saying that if a contestant is "a plus size...50 lbs overweight," she will use that in her consideration and comments. :fingerwag: She said that in light of the latest Jessica Simpson hubbub, an up-and-coming star needs to be aware that this is a factor in their success. The reporter then goes on to reference Jessica Hudson's recent accomplishments at the SuperBowl and the Grammys, implying that Kara might be incorrect in her assessment.

AI has had many an overweight singer who can really sing, and that has not stopped them from winning votes week after week. Now, don't get me wrong...I am all for healthful living. But these people will be subject to the public eye, and will have enough pressure put upon them without Kara verbalizing it to the TV millions. Does anyone recall how pudgy Carrie Underwood was during the AI season? And how absolutely stunning she became within the first year of her career?

TimothyBFan
02-12-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't get to watch this but I keep checking here for updates. What about Jesse Langseth? Is she still there and one of those Soda talked about that doesn't get put on often? How is she doing?

I found this on YouTube earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ReAMmPj4A&feature=related

sodascouts
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
eaglesvet - ugh, I hate hearing crap like that. If it were up to Kara, Jennifer Hudson wouldn't have made the Top 12 - and even she must admit that Jennifer has done quite well for herself in spite of her weight, as the article points out.

TBF, here's who made it to the top 36. I'm posting it now because it's no longer a spoiler.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/axz32b.jpg

Both my girl Stevie and Jesse Langseth are still there. I worry about their chances to go further, though, since they've been featured so little.

Prettymaid
02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I can't believe they put that Nick guy through! He gets through but a good 'normal' guy has to go? How fair is that?

Still not a peep from Megan Corkrey. I did at least see her last night. Again, I'm just going by her audition weeks ago. When I hear her again I might change my mind. That's why I usually just wait untill the final 10 to decide.

sodascouts
02-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I can't even remember the auditions of most of these people, and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking at the top 36 and going, "Who's that?" to several of them. What a shame that they aren't more even-handed!

And Nick took the spot of someone more talented, that's for sure. Ex-Homeless Laneshe or the Widower's Best Friend Jamar would have been much more worthy of advancement, IMHO.

I also don't understand why Emotional Girl Joanna advanced. She messed up several times.

MikeA
02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Soda is absolutely right. AI really goes for what they think will sequester viewers in these early rounds. I think there are those they recognize as being the kind of talent they want to promote and make sure they get anchored. That leaves them a lot of room to fill in the rest with the controversial characters. If it comes to someone with "normal" marginal talent versus someone that can invoke "drama", well, they are going for the drama.

I'll wait until it's cut to around a dozen before I really start watching. Some of those "acts" just turn my stomach.

EagleLady
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Which one is Bikini Girl?

Prettymaid
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
EL, bikini girl didn't make it through, but here she is in all her glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obztmh1xT7Y

EagleLady
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
EL, bikini girl didn't make it through, but here she is in all her glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obztmh1xT7Y

I can't believe she came to the audition in a freaking Bikini :eyebrow:

Prettymaid
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I've heard she has been offered a spread in Playboy.

MikeA
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Awe, the poor girl. So misunderstood. I think Simon and Randy understood her.

Molly
02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Awe, the poor girl. So misunderstood. I think Simon and Randy understood her.

:hilarious:

Don't anyone worry about bikini girl -she'll be just fine. I've heard Hooters is hiring.

MikeA
02-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Don't anyone worry about bikini girl -she'll be just fine. I've heard Hooters is hiring.

She prolly accomplished exactly what she went on the show for.

Maleah
02-13-2009, 02:29 AM

*snicker* :hilarious:

sodascouts
02-13-2009, 02:35 AM
LOL!!!!

sodascouts
02-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Some videos:

Meet the Top 36
(http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_8/top_36/)
Some folks aren't too happy about getting voted off! (http://www.joesplaceblog.com/2009/02/12/jamar-rogers-frankie-jordan-vlog-about-their-eliminations/)

sodascouts
02-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Scandal!

Joanna Pacitti Disqualified from American Idol (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29161480/)

Stars
02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I really hope that giggling girl gets the boot soon. I actually get a headache when I have to be subjected to her horrible cackling!:x

sodascouts
02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Disappointing night overall.

Shoot, Stevie! I felt so bad for her.... she really blew it. I kind of hope she makes it anyway, though.

Another contestant who didn't do so hot was Stephen Fowler, but I've been wanting him to go ever since he walked off the stage during Hollywood Week, so I'm not shedding tears.

Does Tatiana know any songs besides those of the catalog of Ms. Whitney Houston? I was unimpressed, but admittedly, I'm biased against her at this point.

Everybody likes Danny Gokey, and tonight, I saw something in him, too. I guess he's winning me over! I also liked Brent Keith doing "Hicktown" in all his shameless redneck glory, as well as Ricky Braddy (but his lack of coverage before this show will hurt him, I think).

Anoop is adorable and he performed well, even if it wasn't his best night.

Alexis Grace has a terrific jazzy, sexy voice. I like her!

I'm betting Danny, Anoop, and Alexis will get through (Sorry Stevie!)

Maleah
02-18-2009, 02:59 AM
I wasn't impressed with the night overall. I just can't stand Tatiana. She was downright strange at some points tonight when she was being interviewed. lol At times she sounded good on her song, but overall.........not impressive.

I really wanted Stevie to do well.......but she crashed big time. :(

I'm still mad that Stephen Fowler went through when he forgot his lyrics, and they sent Jamal home when he did good AND remembered his lyrics. lol

LOVED Ricky Braddy! I was VERY impressed!

I like Brent Keith and I'm glad that he stuck with his country roots.....but I think he could have picked a better song to show off his voice.

Danny G.......what can I say.....I really think he's going to make AT LEAST top 3 when this season draws to a close. LOVED his performance!

eaglesvet
02-18-2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with Alexis, Danny, and Anoop...I loved them all, although that was really the first time I had (remembered) seeing Alexis---she was "the dawg!" Stevie and Rick could still make it back on judges' wild card, especially since the judges all seemed to like their past performances (Stevie) as well as current chances (Rick).

Prettymaid
02-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Tatiana's no idiot (she just plays one on TV), and she's had plenty of time to read and hear the negative publicity. Last night she was trying to do a little damage control. She can sing, but for me her past antics outweigh her talent.

I wasn't blown away by anyone last night, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Alexis and Danny. ( I have to keep referring back to the most recent posts for their names - at this point I'm usually saying 'the girl with the short blond hair and the guy with the glasses').

Occasionally Simon is rude, but most of the time I think he gets a bad rap - he's just very honest and for me, his honesty is refreshing.

Brooke
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM
I watched for the first time last night. Stand outs for me were Alexis and Danny.

I thought Brent did well, but agree that that song didn't do much for him. I was hoping for better from Stevie too. And Anoop was really good.

And that Casey Carlson (?)! A very pretty girl with long dark hair and very skinny, and I thought she could sing, but her expressions were awful.

Prettymaid
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Brooke, I'm curious how you liked the show overall - Ryan, the judges, the set, etc...?

It 'seems' like a different show in these beginning stages. I like it much better when they get to the final twelve and lose the live interviews, the stairs and go to a nicer auditorium.

sodascouts
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Casey's expressions bothered me, too. It reminded me of Jim Nabors (aka Gomer Pyle) - my mom loved his voice, but the faces he made (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I04P04eefcA)... yikes!

Was it me or did the backing band/singers seem too loud sometimes?

tbs fanatic
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Ha! I nearly choked on my Apple watching the Jim Nabors commercial. Too funny.

Brooke
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Me, too!

Pm, I actually liked the show. I have watched a few times during other seasons, but this was the first time this season.

I could do without the interviews after they sing. And does it seem to anyone else that Randy's views also seem to be Kara's (?) views? I think they should alternate which judge goes first in giving their opinions. Last night Randy was first every time, followed by Kara (?), Paula, then Simon.

Prettymaid
02-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah, Simon always goes last! (It's probably in his contract!)

sodascouts
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I called Alexis and Danny, but I'm really surprised Michael Sarver beat out Anoop. I liked both of them, though, so I'm cool with it. Tatiana didn't have as big a meltdown as I expected from losing, lol. Stevie held it together, too, just like she did when the judges reamed her the night before. Impressive for one so young. Best of luck to her in the future.

Maybe Anoop will be the wild card? I just hope they don't make Tatiana the wild card.... no more of her, please! I would like it if Ricky Braddy got a wild card. I'm not sure if they pick just one wild card from each group, or if it's combo'ed from all the rejects.

Loved that group song they did! However, I thikn it's lame to make the people who got through sing their song again. We just heard those yesterday, and you showed clips from them before the show. What's the point? But then again, I also don't like the "Let's repeat all the crap said about you before we tell you you're out, just to make it hurt worse." Lovely.

Looking forward to Matt G. next week - hopefully he doesn't disappoint me like poor Stevie did. I think she was just too young to deal with perfoming in front of so many people; you know she has a great voice. She just choked when it came time to deliver that voice. :(

eaglesvet
02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Hey, usually they make the one person voted off that week sing their song again, which has got to be hard! I guess they had to have all 3 surviviors sing again to fill the hour...them, plus Michael and the woman from last season as well, LOL.

They actually never said hoiw the wild card would work, so I could see it being used for both Anoop and Rick from this group. And, judging from some of the judges' comments, possibly even Stevie...they all know her talent, but acknowledged her downfall yesterday as poor song choice. But then, I doubt they would take all 3 wild cards from one group. We'll just have to wait and see.

On the previews for next week, I saw that Jesse Langseth is finally scheduled to be on. Will mark the first time for me that I have ever seen her on screen!

sodascouts
02-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Well, Jasmine, Matt G. and Jesse (my prior favorites) didn't do as well as they could, but I still like them.

That Misha girl... not so much. Jeanine also blew it. And "Norman Gentle" is funny, but.... this isn't Comedy Central. He needs to GO HOME.

The judges ripped apart Kai and Matt B., but I didn't think they did so badly! There goes my unrefined ear again! ;)

Can you believe that Allison is only 16? What a voice!

Megan and Kris were OK, but not standouts. I don't think they chose well.

I'm not on the Adam love train. He's got a great voice, but he overdoes it.

It's a hard call, but based on fan reception more than personal preference, I think Adam will probably make the top three. Jesse and Allison for the other two, I think, although I hope Matt G. makes it.

Prettymaid
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I was curious to see how Megan would do, and although she didn't blow me away, the judges liked her. There's just something about her I like - kind of like blond-haired Brooke from last year. I liked her personality, too.

Simon often talks about the contestants being memorable, and Adam is the most memorable of the bunch - he's got the look and he definitely can sing. I think he did what the judges want to see - show your range and your likeability.

Allison (thanks Soda for having their names handy for me) is great and can sing. Again, gave them what they're looking for.

I'd like to see Adam, Allison and Megan make it through. Even though I don't think Megan can win it, I'd like to watch her for a few more weeks.

TimothyBFan
02-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I just found this from Jesse last night on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfSt62OrhI&NR=1

And here's an interview with her and Kris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY9TixYTVq8&feature=related

Prettymaid
02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I just thought about something. Unlike with the first set of twelve, this week they didn't have the stairs, the sofas, the interviews - I liked it so much better this week! But wouldn't you think that 'for fairness sake" they would do everything exactly the same for all thirty-six contestants?

And Simon didn't go last - Hell Freezes Over!

Stars
02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I only saw the first hour of AI, and then I switched over to "Lost". Did I miss much in the second hour? I did see Allison during the first part of the show, and I was blown away. She kind of reminds me of a young Janis Joplin!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I only saw the first hour of AI, and then I switched over to "Lost". Did I miss much in the second hour? I did see Allison during the first part of the show, and I was blown away. She kind of reminds me of a young Janis Joplin!:thumbsup:

Stars, Adam, who went last, sang the Stones' Satisfaction and the judges thought he was the best of the night. While I thought he was a little over the top, I still appreciated his excellent vocal range. I agree with the judges - when you're in a competition like this, you can't just sing well - you have to show what you've got, and Adam did that.

Stars
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, PM! I hope they will show a clip of Adam's performance during the results show. I assume the results show is tonight?

sodascouts
02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Look here! Clips of all the performances! (scroll down)

http://www.rickey.org

Stars
02-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Soda! Adam was very good, and deserved to be in the Top 12, IMHO.
He's also got a nice personality, and he ain't bad on the eyes either!;-)

sodascouts
02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
No surprise that Adam got through last night over "Norman," although I admit I was a smidge concerned Norman would get the "entertainment value" vote. lol I was very happy Allison went through as well.

Kris though.... wow. I'm astonished he got to the Top 12. It's not that he was bad, he just wasn't that great.

I hope Matt G. gets a wild card spot. His song choice was not so hot, but he's got a really great voice. Jesse and Megan are also two strong Wild Card contenders for the same reason, I think, and maybe Jasmine.

p.s. Did anyone else notice that "Norman" seemed a bit lost during the group sing?

Prettymaid
02-27-2009, 03:06 PM
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/adam-lambert-01-2009-02-25.jpg

Does anybody else see a resemblance to Elvis, especially around the eyes?

I thought Kris was forgettable.

I only watched the last five minutes. My Fighting Illini were playing (and won - yea!) I didn't get to see the group performance.

Molly
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree with you, PM. I thought of Elvis a couple of times while I was watching him perform.

eaglesvet
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I just found this from Jesse last night on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfSt62OrhI&NR=1

And here's an interview with her and Kris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY9TixYTVq8&feature=related

Unfortunately, I missed both of last week's shows, so I'm glad I can catch up a bit here. How much d'ya wanna bet these two become an item? They already seem like a couple in this interview!

sodascouts
03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
My thoughts on tonight:

Von Smith - He has a good voice, but I just can't get into him.

Taylor Vaifanua - I thought Taylor did good, but the judges hated on her. I don't get it!

Alex Wagner-Trugman - Alex seems like a sweet guy and has a good voice, but he was trying too hard to be sexy. And failing.

Arianna Afsar - Poor thing. Young, sweet, beautiful, lovely voice... but she messed up that Abba song. Reminds me of Stevie Wright (although she didn't do as bad as Stevie). You know they can do better!

Ju'not Joyner - Great voice but boring performance of "Hey There Delilah."

Kristen McNamara - she didn't sell "Give Me One Reason." I wasn't feeling her at all, even though she hit the right notes.

Nathaniel Marshall - ::CRINGE:: this guy was as big a drama queen as Tatiana, and his performances are so over the top it's almost unwatchable. The Olivia Newton-John headbands don't help. America, don't you dare vote this guy further!

Felicia Barton - She rocked! My favorite girl tonight. She may not have been letter-perfect, but she really sold it (unlike Kristen) and her voice is distinctive. Go Felicia! The fact that she was initially cut and only brought back after that other girl was disqualified might get her the "irony vote."

Scott MacIntyre - I wasn't overly impressed by his Hollywood Week, but he did great here. I don't begrudge him a spot in the Top 12 if he makes it.

Kendall Beard - She was good, but nothing special.

Jorge Nunez - I love the song "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" so I was excited to see if he'd do it justice. He did well! Great voice! I like Jorge. I thought the judge's comments about his accent were pretty condescending, though.

Lil' Rounds - I thought she was a bit overhyped during Hollywood Week, but like Scott, she pleasantly surprised me - although the last note sounded a bit off and her "call this show" lyric change was tacky.

For those who want to rewatch - check out http://www.rickey.org/ - that's where I got caught up!

My predictions for the top 3: Scott MacIntyre, Lil' Rounds, and (I hope) Felicia Barton, but it could be Jorge Nunez instead. Whichever one of those doesn't get it has a good chance at a wild card.

Brooke
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
My favorite that I saw last night was Felicia, but I didn't get to see the first half of the show. I'll try to catch up with your link. Thanks for that.

I liked Jorge and Lil, but I thought the judges overdid it with them.

Prettymaid
03-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Once again Soda, thanks for posting their names.

No standouts for me last night, and I guess I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a rocker this year (well, Adam, I guess).

Best of the bunch for me were

Ju'not - I like the way he held back
Kristen -there's something about her voice I like
Felicia - she's got the look, very pretty, good voice
Jorge - good voice, just not my style
Lil - see Jorge, above

I'll predict Lil, Scott and Felicia (I really have no idea this week!)

Prettymaid
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey, how do you like that? The shows halfway over and I've gotten 2 out of 3 right. Let's see if I can get a clean sweep!

eaglesvet
03-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Well, I couldn't believe the crop of "wild cards" included Tatiana as a unanimous choice, according to the judges! Do you think they did this for some sort of ratings ploy, or do they really think that she is among the top 8 singers of the remaining crew?? Oh, brother! On the other hand, my whole family 'whooped' when Simon announced Anoop! I've liked him from the beginning, which is not true of Simon (despite what he said tonight.) When Anoop first auditioned, I remember Simon making some sort of comment about his attire being uncool.:headscratch: And I'm sure Willie will be happy to hear that Jesse Langseth has a new chance to make it as well. Actually, other than Tatiana, I thought the 8 they chose as wild card fodder were appropriate.

I was very happy with Scott, Lil, and Jorge making it straight through.

TimothyBFan
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Yea Jesse!! :yay::yay: I really do like her voice (not just because she is Jonny's sister!)

Prettymaid
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
So much for Tatiana being misundersood during Hollywood week. From the looks of it last night she is up to her usual hysterics. She must have been on some good downers that one night (kidding...)

Can I just come out and say it? I don't think America would have voted for Scott if he wasn't blind. I just don't think he's that good of a singer.

I'm glad to see Jesse get another chance - the judges said it was a last minute change. I know it makes some people on here happy, and I like her voice, too.

For my sake, I'm glad they gave Megan another shot. I just hope these singers pick better songs!

sodascouts
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I totally think they included Tatiana for drama, as she wasn't THAT great. And I think Scott will get a "he's in because he's blind" backlash and get voted out fairly early, but we'll see.

I like the wild cards in general (for those who don't know they're Von Smith, Jasmine Murray, Ricky Braddy, Megan Joy Corkrey, Tatiana Del Toro, Matt Giraud, Jesse Langseth, and Anoop Desai). My only disappointment is the exclusion of Felicia Barton from the Wild Cards after she wasn't sent through by America. She was excellent - far better than Tatiana - but the judges never really seemed to get into her. Remember, she was left out of the initial 36. Boo!!!!

Prettymaid
03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
My only disappointment is the exclusion of Felicia Barton from the Wild Cards after she wasn't sent through by America. She was excellent - far better than Tatiana - but the judges never really seemed to get into her. Remember, she was left out of the initial 36. Boo!!!!

Yeah, but Paula especially seemed to like her Tuesday night. Remember, she said "I hope you're here next week and the next week and the next week..." Maybe that was the last minute change - guess we'll never know.

sodascouts
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
True... oh well. :sigh:

sodascouts
03-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Wow, what a mind game they played with us tonight! But I loved it! I was so hoping both Matt G. and Anoop would get in, and they did. I'm not as big a fan of Megan as some others, but I don't hate her or anything, and I'm so glad that Jasmine made it as well! Overall I am pleased with the Top 13.

I just wish Jesse Langseth had also made the cut. I thought she had a unique, cool voice... unfortunately, she didn't really come off as well as she could have during the performances, and it cost her.

And did they just bring Tatiana back to toy with her? I mean, really.

Prettymaid
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah, it was nice to see them do a show where they hussled right along and gave us the results at the end!

I thought everyone last night did better than the last time they sang. But how dare Tatiana bore us with the same song three times in a row!

I'm okay with the ones they picked. Of course I was happy they picked Megan. Soda, I think I'm the only one here who likes her! In any case, I just want to go on the record again and say that I don't think she will win the competition or that she should, based on what we've seen so far. But Simon speaks for me when he talks about her quirkiness, likeability and relevance.

I'm glad to finally get down to it. Now we will really start seeing them fight for it!

TimothyBFan
03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Are you saying Jesse didn't make it? Say it isn't so!!! Darn!:evil:

Prettymaid
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Are you saying Jesse didn't make it? Say it isn't so!!! Darn!:evil:

Sorry Willie, but it's so. The judges picked eight of the ones that America didn't vote for, and brought them back last night to perform. Then the judges, not America, picked three (actually four) out of those eight to be in the finals. Unfortunately again, Jesse didn't make it. Simon told her it was very close and that she almost made it in. (Can you imagine hearing that?!?!) But I have to agree with Soda - she's got a good voice - but she didn't showcase it as well as she could have.

So now - for the first time - we have a final 13 instead of twelve!

Maleah
03-07-2009, 01:43 AM
I can handle the three they put through..........but I would have rather had Ricky than the girl. He had a great voice. Jesse was great as well.

Oh well.......I'm just ready to hear some more Danny! ;)

sodascouts
03-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Alright! My thoughts overall - good how! No one really blew it, although having a "Michael Jackson" week seemed like a bad idea to me. ugh!

Lil' Rounds: Loved her! What a voice! She did great on "The Way You Make Me Feel."

Scott: Not bad, but not that interesting either. I've never heard the song he picked before.

Danny G: He's getting pushed so hard that I don't want to like him.... but I do! He was terrific on "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)"!

Michael: I don't know what it is, but I find this guy really appealing. Of course, when I hear "You Are Not Alone" - even though it's the Michael Jackson song - I have a Glenn/Eagles association right off the bat! lol

Jasmine: Thought she rocked it as well. It helps that I love the song "Ill Be There."

Kris: He's OK, but he doesn't really rock my socks, ya know?

Allison: I really loved her on "Alone" last time, but I wasn't as impressed by "Give In to Me." Not bad, though.

Anoop - I've always found Anoop appealing, and I love the song "Beat It." I don't think he did as badly as the judges seemed to, but then again he didn't hit it out of the park either.

Jorge: I hate admitting it but... this guy's freaky faces while singing distract me and make it hard for me to appreciate his voice. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. I can't even remember what he sang!

Megan: Oh my gosh, "Rockin' Robin!" That song is so annoying! And so was she, hollering "CAW, CAW" at the end. Megan has not endeared herself to me yet.

Adam: I know everybody loves this guy, but he's not really my cup of tea with the screechy, over-the-top vocals. He does have range, though, and I like the song "Black or White."

Matt: I don't like the song "Human Nature," but I find Matt, his voice, and his piano very sexy. I'm hoping he makes it through.

Alexis: I didn't think I would like her version of "Dirty Diana," but she pulled it off! I was impressed.

Bottom three: Scott, Jorge, and Megan (sorry PM!)

Who will probably go home: Scott and Jorge, or maybe Anoop after the tongue-lashing they gave him.

Prettymaid
03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
I wasn't thrilled when I heard it was Michael Jackson week. I'm not a fan, but even I have a favorite song, and I was hoping someone would sing it.

Adam gets extra credit (not that he needs it) for singing my favorite MJ song, Black or White. Strong performance, always looks great.

Poor Megan, doing Rockin' Robin - I don't like the song either, but what other choice did the poor girl have Soda? The "caw, caw" at the end was unbelieveably corny. IMO she has a voice for jazz. I still don't want her to go home.Yet.

The weakest for me were the most forgettable -

Scott - Put us out of our misery and send him home. Every time he performs I feel like I'm watching one of those old Brady Bunch episodes where the kids are performing in some local talent show.

Jorge - He sang Never Can Say Goodbye, but you know what Jorge? I can.

Anoop - Time to Beat It!

I'm really curious what the change is going to be tonight as per what Simon eluded to. I'm guessing the judges might start overturning America's vote when they feel necessary. But we'll just have to wait and see.

sodascouts
03-11-2009, 08:41 AM
lol PM! You have a way with words!

I'm really curious what the change is going to be tonight as per what Simon eluded to. I'm guessing the judges might start overturning America's vote when they feel necessary. But we'll just have to wait and see.

If the judges start overruling America, what's the point of people calling in or spending their money on text messages to vote? AI would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they do that, I think. I can understand maybe having a "Judge's Save" for one show but consistently? I hope not.

Molly
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Our local paper is on Danny Gokey overload -so for all you Goke-y-heads...here's a link.

http://www.jsonline.com/dannygokey

sodascouts
03-12-2009, 02:07 AM
So long, Jorge! Glad he was one of the ones to go. I'm a little sadder about Jasmine, but oh well.

As far as the "judge's veto" - I'm OK with it since they can only do it once.

So far, I'm leaning towards Matt as my favorite. That said, I'm not sure he'll be able to take it to the top when Paula (and a lot of other people) have already declared it'll be Adam vs. Danny. (And wow,he's really getting the "Hometown Hero" treatment in Milwaukee, Molly!)

Hopefully there will be some surprises!

Prettymaid
03-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Megan lives to see another day!

At this point I'm not sure who I would want to win. I'm just going to keep watching and look for either consistancy or a dark horse.

After announcing the new rule, it was kind of pitiful to watch Jasmine and Jorge stand up there and wait to be turned away - I mean everybody knows that the judges wouldn't use the veto the first round!

Maleah
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
My two fav.'s are Danny and Matt. Adam has a great voice, but not really my style so I'm not as into him as everyone else seems to be. But he's definently got star potential!

Prettymaid
03-18-2009, 09:07 AM
It looks like they're going to do that melodramatic beginning every week!

Lil' Rounds: I like Independence Day. Once again a good, solid performance.

Scott: For me, this was his best performance so far. Again, good Martina McBride song - Wild Angels

Danny G: Jesus Take the Wheel - good job - he's not going anywhere!

Michael: Sorry, very forgettable performance - his days are numbered.

Kris: Another guy who just doesn't make a strong enough impression.

Allison: I've forgotten what she sang. Not her best, but she'll be okay.

Anoop - Always on My Mind - I wasn't expecting much, bUt WOW!!! He knocked it out of the park! He's safe.

Megan: Okay, now I'm ready for her to go!

Adam: Ring of Fire - What the hell was that?!??! Seriously, good performance ( the man knows how to perform), but I was not lovin' that version! However, he has nothing to worry about yet.

Matt:I don't know what he sang, but he did a nice job. Not my cup of tea, but he's got a good voice.

Alexis: Jolene - Simon thought she sounded too much like the original - I liked the way she changed the song a bit.

It was country music week, and I thought everybody did a nice job of making the song their own.

Bottom two- Megan and Kris

Who will go home - I predict it will be one of the guys. They're going to want to even up the playing field. I know America votes but still it will be a guy that goes home- mark my words!

ochiba kid 1
03-18-2009, 09:10 AM
sorry guys, I know a bit off track, the guy who won the competition a few years ago called Taylor I think, what ever happened to him, I thought he was good, never heard of him ? did the public in the states take to him ? over here in the UK no one has realy heard of him

Thanks Gary

Prettymaid
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM
sorry guys, I know a bit off track, the guy who won the competition a few years ago called Taylor I think, what ever happened to him, I thought he was good, never heard of him ? did the public in the states take to him ? over here in the UK no one has realy heard of him

Thanks Gary

Gary, no one in the states took to him.

sodascouts
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Lil' Rounds: I liked Independence Day too - although the judges ripped her apart! The only thing I didn't like was that she didn't really seem to be giving the song the weight it deserved. It's pretty serious.

Scott: He just doesn't do it for me.

Danny: I thought he did good throughout, not just at the end. Simon's right - you have to build the song.

Michael: He seems like such a nice guy that I want him to do well, but he just doesn't have that stage presence to work it.

Kris: I agree that he doesn't make much of an impression - besides, when he was singing To Make You Feel My Love, all I could do was think about how much better Timothy sang it.

Allison: Great voice but she really looked her age, and it kind of takes away from the power of this adult songs.

Anoop - Finally, Anoop delivers! It probably helps that I love the song.

Megan: LOL PM, I was wondering how you would feel about that performance. It annoyed the heck out of me, flu or no flu. She looked lovely (if you ignored the sleeve tattoo) - the dress was great! - but those jerky movements detract from the performance. Plus, she was overly affected. I know her gimmick is her quirky voice, but when she overdoes it - yikes! The judges were quick to make excuses for her, though, so she's not going home, I don't think.

Adam: WOAH, this was bad. This was so bad that my fellow Idol-fan friend texted me with "WTF??" after it was over. Yes, he has range, but he has no subtlely. He doesn't seem to understand that different songs call for different approaches. I was cringing. Did you see Randy Travis' wife (?) in the audience after that? She didn't even pretend to like it. lol However, he has a fan base that will keep him in no matter how hard he sucks. The question - will he be able to draw in those who aren't already in the camp, whom he needs to win, with performances like that? Methinks not - nor should he!

Matt: Remains my favorite, despite the last note being a bit weak. He's got a sexy, emotive voice that while it may not be technically perfect, it works for me. Plus, I love a guy who can play piano.

Alexis: Loved her jazzy version and didn't understand the judges' negativity.

Bottom three - Megan, Kris and Michael

Who should go home - Megan, but the judges' pity plea will probably save her

Who will go home - Probably Michael, since the judges raved over Kris and criticized Michael. America IS influenced by them a lot of the time, but Michael was smart to create a "country fans get it" opposition that paints the judges as elitist and might motivate his base to save him. We'll see!

Prettymaid
03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Who should go home - Megan, but the judges' pity plea will probably save her

Soda, there is no way the judges are going to waste their vote on Megan this week, and if I'm wrong I'll buy you a concert t-shirt!

Molly
03-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks Gary

Taylor Hicks. Not a fan of his, but I happened to see him on TV the other night...he's just released a new CD and also just started appearing on Broadway in Grease (he plays the teen angel).

sodascouts
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Soda, there is no way the judges are going to waste their vote on Megan this week, and if I'm wrong I'll buy you a concert t-shirt!

No, I meant that what they said after she sang - "Oh, you're so brave, we feel so bad for you that you had to perform under these conditions, after going to the hospital for your horrible flu" - that will save her. America will pity her as a result and not vote her off. I agree that if I'm wrong and she does get voted off, the judges won't waste their vote on her. Too bad 'cause I'd love a new concert T-shirt. ;)

Prettymaid
03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
No, I meant that what they said after she sang - "Oh, you're so brave, we feel so bad for you that you had to perform under these conditions, after going to the hospital for your horrible flu" - that will save her. America will pity her as a result and not vote her off. I agree that if I'm wrong and she does get voted off, the judges won't waste their vote on her. Too bad 'cause I'd love a new concert T-shirt. ;)

Oh...okay...never mind...:hilarious:

MikeA
03-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Speaking of Adam and "Ring of Fire" I copped this from Dilana's blog:

But FIRST: That wasn't even CLOSE to Dilana's "version". Dilana was KILLER on the song. Totally Blew Me Away.

This ADAM guy didn't sing "Ring of Fire". He sang something that had similar words! Dilana paid the song and artist "respect". In my opinion, Adam twisted it so badly that even though it was on key during most of the song, it wasn't anything that I'd every willingly listen to again! EVER! Now understand, I'm NOT a country fan nor a particularly strong Johnny Cash fan, but you gotta RESPECT him and I didn't think that Idol guy even tried.

Listen to Dilana's version Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtQZJ7R3EU

LOL.....ain't it a shame that I never have an opinion about anything!

FIRE!!
Dilana Responds to American Idols Adam Lamberts Ring of Fire
Performance

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2009-03-17-idol-goes-country_N.ht

sodascouts
03-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks for that, Mike!

When asked today what she thought of Adam Lambert's performance from March 17, 2009 of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire Dilana responded with, " I am stoked that Adam Lambert from American Idol chose to use my version of Ring of fire on last night's episode. It's an honor knowing that my arrangement and "cashmere" version of the Johnny Cash classic "turned him on" to the point where he wanted to use it on the show."

The people in Dilana's camp also stated that she would love a chance to meet with Adam on the show and do a duet with him.

[emphasis mine]

Wow, could Dilana be more transparent about her motives for praising Adam's "interpretation"?

sodascouts
03-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Per tonight's results - what a surprise! Like PM, I thought for sure a guy would go home. At least my fave Matt is still safe.

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Who will go home - I predict it will be one of the guys. They're going to want to even up the playing field. I know America votes but still it will be a guy that goes home- mark my words!

"Mark my words"? Heck, I'll have to eat my words! I thought statistics were on my side. Well, I don't even know what to say.

Wasn't it kind of sad that Randy Jackson couldn't remember Alexis' name?

MikeA
03-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for that, Mike!

[emphasis mine]

Wow, could Dilana be more transparent about her motives for praising Adam's "interpretation"?

EXACTLY Soda. I'm really disappointed in that attitude. She is struggling now and I'm sure desperate but I can't endorse that move at all.

sodascouts
03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Wasn't it kind of sad that Randy Jackson couldn't remember Alexis' name?

Yeah... sometimes I wonder if our judges have been imbibing pre-show (especially Paula - I've loved her since the 90s, but she seems spaced a lot of the time).

Also, what's with Megan dropping her last name?

Prettymaid
03-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah, Paula has made lots of doozies, hasn't she! Let us not forget last year's flub when she proceeded to critique "the second song" of a contestant who had only sang once! :hilarious:

And Soda, I noticed also that now it's Megan Joy instead of Megan Corkrey, but hey, can you blame her with a name like that! (I'm kidding, I'm kidding). I assume the American Idol people prodded her to drop her last name and adopt the stage name. Can you imagine what your parents (or husband) would think if you got your fifteen minutes of fame and dropped your family name!

sodascouts
03-21-2009, 12:54 PM
That's exactly what I thought too PM - that her parents must be dismayed that she's disassociating herself from their name so soon!

Prettymaid
03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
She has a kid, but I'm not sure what her marital status is...might be hubby's name.

eaglesvet
03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I remember something from her audition night that she is recently split from the father of her son, whom I think she was married to but I'm not certain. They may have been engaged or living together. Anyway, her "story" was how auditioning for American Idol was her chance to get back on her own two feet with just herself and her son, living a new life independent from "that man." I bet he is just beside himself, seeing her success even this far. (I bet she's thought the very same thing! :twisted:) Certainly she'll have no shortage of new men-- given her looks, talent, and TV exposure.

sodascouts
03-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Interesting night! Some surprises for me.

My boy Matt - he's so sexy, but his voice wavered a few times. Still, want him to stay

Kris - for the first time, I see his appeal. He did a great job.

Scott - I've been thinking he's not that hot, but he did good tonight. What's with all the judge hate? I think they're trying to prove they're not favoring him because he's blind by going too far the other way.

Megan - GO. HOME.

Anoop - great vocals, but I have to agree with Simon that it was boring.

Michael - the more they hate on this guy, the more I want him to stay. He's so likeable. Still, I have to admit, I don't think he's gonna win it. Simon cracked me up when he called Paula's bizarre advice "Nonsense." Indeed!

Lil' Rounds - I liked her, too. The judges are telling her not to do upbeat songs... I thought they wanted people to demonstrate versatility???

Adam - I'm still not a huge fan, but he showed he can pull off subtlety, which again was a surprise to me.

Danny - I liked it, but I thought it was weird how they made a big deal of him listening to Smokey's advice to sing those lines... and he didn't. Not his best performance, I think. I was also distracted remembering how Don sang backup on this song in 1997 (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/live/GetReadyGarageBand97.wmv) and how awesome it was.

Allison - WOW.

Who will be in the bottom three: Megan, Michael, Scott

Who will go home: Megan (I hope!)

eaglesvet
03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
This was the first time I really saw what fans see in Adam and Allison. I thought both of them did great. Adam looked soooo different, it amazed me. I also thought that Matt was hot--definitely in his element. I'm also liking Kris's style. I think it will get pretty tough to choose near the end...at this point, I think there's still a few I can do without.

Maleah
03-26-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm stealing your format here Soda to post my observations as well ;)

Matt - LOVE Matt! Very Justin Timberlakeish. lol! He adds his own twist to stuff and makes it his own. My 2nd fav. in the competition right now!

Kris - LOVED Kris tonight! I thought he did absolutely awesome! I love his acoustic John Mayer/Jason Mraz vibe he's got going on. I disagree with the judges though....I don't think you need to have the confidence of "I'm all that." Sometimes it's nice to see someone who is super talented and doesn't know it!

Scott - Probably my favorite performance by Scott but still not a fan. However, he is amazing on the piano!

Megan - Sooooo not a fan. She didn't do bad on the Patsy Cline song last week but just not a fan. She's my pick to go home this week!

Anoop - I'm starting to really see, or I guess it's hear lol, what a great voice Anoop has! However, I'm waiting for them to give him a makeover because he just doesn't look the part of a star yet. I remember last year when they gave David Cook a makeover and all of a sudden everybody was like holy crap....he's hot! Where'd that come from? lol So I'm thinking they give him a different hair style and an eyebrow wax and tada.....welcome to the big show Anoop! ;)

Michael - I love Michael, I really do. He's so genuine and as Nancy said, so likeable. And also like Nancy, the more the judges are harsh on him...the more I like him! I love his soulful voice and I actually thought motown fit him very well. Maybe he did try to do a few too many runs but it was nowhere near as bad as the judges made it sound like it was! How on earth are they kinder to Megan than they are Michael???? lol!

Lil' Rounds - Lil' has a fabulous voice...there's no denying that. But she's just not one of my fav.'s. I think maybe it's because the judges have been drooling over her since the very beginning and I think she's starting to show that she KNOWS they love her and that if it were up to them she'd be in the finals. She did good tonight....and like I said she has a great voice....but not really unique.

Adam - Tonight was my favorite performance by Adam but I'm still not a fan. His performance of "Ring of Fire" destroyed any chance of me ever becoming a fan I think. lol I didn't like his attitude at all last week and thought he came off a little disrespectful to Johnny, Randy, and country music as a whole. But he definently moved up a little with tonight's performance. It was nice to see him without the nail polish (thank God) and without the dramatic eye shadow and hair. He reminded me of a young Elvis tonight. Sometimes mellow and mild is better. lol

Danny - I love Danny....I've made that clear. lol Wasn't my FAVORITE performance by him....but he still did great. I just love that smoky, soulful voice! However I, too, found it odd how they made sure and show the part about the backup singers and then Danny didn't even do as was suggested. Strange.

Allison - That girl has major chops! Wow! By far my favorite female in the competition and she's fighting with Matt and Kris as to who is my #2 spot favorite! lol How can she be only 16?? Crazy! LOVE the raspy powerful voice!

Who will be in the bottom three: Megan, Michael, Scott

Who will go home: Well, I HOPE Megan does.....but I have a feeling Michael might. :(

Brooke
03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I finally got to watch part of the show at least. I missed the first 3, so can't comment on them. My favorites were Adam and Allison.

During Adam's performance I was also thinking he reminded me of young Elvis. I missed his Johnny Cash song, so evidently from comments, that was good.

Allison really does have a voice, but can't say I like the odd hair color.

MikeA
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Brooke,

Adam's "Johnny Cash" song wasn't a "Johnny Cash" song. The only semblance to Ring of Fire was some of the lyrics. He completely changed the style into something that I can't even begin to define and it WAS NOT GOOD.

With that said, I stood amazed at that upper register he has. It ain't natural! <LOL> I've got to say that his "Tracks of My Tears" or "Tears of a Clown" or whatever the name of that Robbinson masterpiece, it was good. Different but very good.

Prettymaid
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Matt - Not my fave, but doesn't deserve to go.

Kris - I liked Kris tonight,too. It just goes to show you, anybody can potentially make a comeback and win this thing!

Scott - Except Scott

Megan - And Megan. I thought judge Kara did a great job tonight. I found myself agreeing with her critiques most of the time, especially with Megan when she said she would have rather heard her do My Guy.

Anoop - Just okay.

Michael - I don't see what you guys see. He's in the same category as Anoop.

Lil Rounds - Great, powerful voice - just not my thing.

Adam - Adam's vocals and performing skills always blow me away. So far, IMO, he deserves to be in the finale.

Danny - Danny is consistently good - he needs to shake it up though!

Allison - What can I say? How about awesome! This girl needs to stick around for a long time!

Bottom three - Scott, Megan and Michael.

Prediction - The journey ends for Michael.

sodascouts
03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I can't believe Matt was in the Bottom 3, and not Megan! I think she's getting boosted by Vote for the Worst (http://votefortheworst.com/). Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye, Michael. I'll miss you!

Maleah
03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I agree Nancy! It's so frustrating to watch!

Prettymaid
03-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I know! But in a warped kind of way I always breath a sigh of relief when Megan makes it through! :blush::D And I'm not the only one - a woman I work with wants her to stay too. I can't figure myself out!

Honestly, I realize that only two are going to the finale. The rest of them are all going home, and for me, with a handful of them it doesn't matter in what order they go.

Brooke
03-27-2009, 10:21 AM
I had the show on when Megan was singing, but wasn't paying close attention. From what I saw, I didn't think she was as bad as the judges went on. I'm kinda glad she made it through.

eaglesvet
03-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I noticed how the colors in her dress matched those in her arm tattoo very well. She really is so attractive, and no doubt that is contributing to her popularity.

eaglesvet
03-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Anoop - I'm starting to really see, or I guess it's hear lol, what a great voice Anoop has! However, I'm waiting for them to give him a makeover because he just doesn't look the part of a star yet. I remember last year when they gave David Cook a makeover and all of a sudden everybody was like holy crap....he's hot! Where'd that come from? lol So I'm thinking they give him a different hair style and an eyebrow wax and tada.....welcome to the big show Anoop! ;)
I still hold out hope for Anoop... I've liked him since his audition, and admit he's had a rough climb, but he does have a nice voice and a likeable personality. You might be right about the makeover! I remember David Cook last year, whom I also liked from the beginning. Right after Simon slayed him for confessing to be a "word nerd" is when his star potential kept rising and rising, thanks to his new hot haircut! (And actually, probably also due to the fact that he confessed to being a word nerd...ladies love a smart, witty, and handsome man!)

sodascouts
03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, not a good episode! A lot of struggling and the judges were brutal.

Anoop - I didn't think he was as bad as the judges did, but I agree that the Usher song didn't work for him. Still, he showed some spirit and was certainly more interesting than last week.

Megan Joy - Better than the last two weeks, I will say that! Still don't like her.

Danny - I didn't like him as well as the judges did... but it wasn't bad. I just didn't think it was far and away his best performance by any means.

Allison - She looked ridiculous, but sounded cool. However, she hardly played the guitar at all! It was more like a prop. I love that song by No Doubt, and I thought she did a good job duplicating it, but nothing to write home about it.

Scott - that hair - yikes! Mullets have not been fashionable since Billy Cyrus warned me not to break his achy-breaky heart. I adore Billy Joel and I love that song, but it was just OK. The judges completely over-praised him.

Matt - my guy! I was completely cringing for him this week - I knew the judges would rip him a new one. It wasn't his best, but it wasn't worthy of so much hate. I voted for him. SAVE MATT GIRAUD!

Lil' Rounds - Nothing special. Why did they bring her kids out and ask them if they wanted to hit Randy for dissing their mother? How stupid!!! But I bet it keeps her on another week, just for the "AWWWWWW" factor.

Adam - Oh my gosh, that was annoying. Not the level of suckage that was Ring of Fire, but still bad. Of course the judges raved and gushed for their "Chosen One." Um, Kara? It's "Studio 54." That girl is a bit numerically challenged, isn't she?

Kris - The best performance of the night. He's winning me over. If Matt goes home, this is my new fave.

Bottom 3: Anoop, Megan, Matt (sob!)

Who will go home: Anoop

DonFan
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Adam--annoying? I completely disagree, Soda. Granted, I didn't like Ring of Fire either, but since then, every one of Adam's performances have been inventive and original. He's one of my "chosen ones" too, along with Kris, who gave a fantastic performance tonight. IMO, they are the two to beat.

Two to go home ASAP: Anoop and Megan Joy. UGH.

And I snickered too when Kara said Studio 57. If you are going to make a cultural reference, at least get the number right! :laugh:

Maleah
04-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Rough night indeed! Not for all of them, a few were GREAT.....but when some of them were bad...they were REALLY bad!

Anoop - I also didn't think he was anywhere near as bad as the judges made it sound. I actually thought he sounded really good but agree that the song didn't fit him. I do, however, think he may have made a mistake in getting a little snippy back to the judges.

Megan Joy - not much to say that I haven't already said lol

Danny - I think what the judges were caught up in is the emotional connection with Danny. I'm not going to lie, I had tears in my eyes as he sang this song. Maybe it's with having lost someone myself, although not a spouse, but maybe that's why I felt a deep connection listening to him. I don't know....but it was emotional and real and very, very good!

Allison - She sounds like a pro already, imo. Yeah she didn't play the guitar much....but I don't think she needed to. It was basically just her and the guitar in the beginning and after that you wouldn't have been able to hear it anyway. lol But she was good as usual....the outfit, however, was horrible!

Scott - I thought it was one of his better performances. And the outfit was definently better than the pink pants last week! lol I'm not really a big Billy Joel fan (although he has great stuff!) so I didn't really have much to compare him to though.

Matt - Matt wasn't BAD by any means......but he definently wasn't anywhere near as great as he usually is! He desperately wants to sing this style, but everytime I've heard him try he oversings and sounds like he's pitchy. He has SUCH a great bluesy voice that he sounds good on pretty much anything though....just not as great tonight.

Lil' Rounds - Yeah the kids moment with Randy was really weird. She did good but I just don't see any originality with her. And like I said before.....I think she thought she had this in the bag and now she's getting frustrated because the judges are kind of shootin' her songs down. Good but not great.

Adam - Adam has a great voice....but I swear...the shrieking is getting on my nerves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes you have a heck of a range....but I'm sorry....the ONLY performance I've liked of yours so far was the one where you toned it down!

Kris - I love Matt to pieces.....but Kris has become my new second fave....RIGHT behind Danny! I love his attitude, I love his voice, I love that he plays a variety of instruments (and well!), and I love his originality! The last 2 or 3 weeks have been brilliant from Kris! Probably my fav of the night!

Bottom 3: Anoop, Megan, Matt

Who will go home: Probably Anoop but I think Megan deserves it more!

Prettymaid
04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Anoop - Not bad - not great

Megan Joy - I am so-o-o-o rooting for this girl to knock our socks off! But how many tries should she get?

Danny - Well, we definitely know what kind of record he would make - he never strays too far from the ballads.

Allison - I was hoping the judges would mention the weird outfit- otherwise I'd be afraid it was just me! Face it, she's consistantly good- a natural.

Scott - Please go home!

Matt - Matt's not bad. He doesn't deserve to go home yet.

Lil' Rounds - Great voice - boring song.

Adam - At the beginning of the season I thought it was great that Adam was showing his great range, but sometimes you should save your range and use it at appropriate times - not always!

Kris - This was definitely the best performance of the night IMO. Exactly what he should be doing at this point. This is what I love about this show. I didn't see anything in Kris the first few weeks - now look at him!

Bottom 3: Should be Scott, Megan and Anoop, but it will be Matt, Lil and Scott.

Who will go home: I was right last week. Let's see if I can predict correctly again. Pack your bags........Matt.

sodascouts
04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Adam--annoying? I completely disagree, Soda. Granted, I didn't like Ring of Fire either, but since then, every one of Adam's performances have been inventive and original. He's one of my "chosen ones" too, along with Kris, who gave a fantastic performance tonight. IMO, they are the two to beat.

I think Adam is a love-him-or-hate-him type. Many people agree with you and are very impressed by him. I liked how he started out, but when he began to do all that unnecessary (IMHO) wailing - that last note was WAY over-the-top - I was reminded of why I don't particularly enjoy him. lol

I hope you're wrong this time, PM! Matt doesn't deserve to go! After that judges' critique when he looked like he was gonna cry, I just wanted to hug him!

P.S. I didn't think Anoop's post-critique comments were so bad, and Ryan so blatantly goaded him that I felt sorry for the guy.

Brooke
04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Yay, I finally got to watch a whole show!

Anoop - I like him, but thought he was a bit boring. I do think his 'look' was much, much better.

Megan Joy - She's so pretty and I want her to be good, but can she sing?

Danny - Just ok for me. He didn't do much for me tonight.

Allison - OMG, her outfit was awful, but wow, can she sing! I really agreed with the judges on her wierd look.

Scott - No doubt about it, he was really good, but I don't think I can get past his mannerisms.

Matt - ho hum

Lil' Rounds - ditto. The judges want her to win so bad. I think they are way over doing their favoritism here.

Adam - Now I thought this was really cool and fun. I loved it.

Kris - Fantastic. Right up there with Adam for me.

Bottom 3: Anoop, Megan, and Scott

Who will go home: Megan

chaleymom
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok - I just have to jump on this bandwagon since I'm a huge AI fan!
Brooke you practically took all the words right out of my mouth!!! I only have a little bit to add:

Anoop - I like this guy too - but although I think he has a really good voice, his 'performance' skills are lacking... IMO. It's almost as if he's choreographed in his mind "ok, here I'm going to grab my lapel... then I'm going to point out at the audience...." etc..... His movements, dancing, etc. just don't seem natural to me... He may be in danger tonite.

Megan Joy - She is incredibly gorgeous (minus the distraction of the tattoo - sorry.) I do think she has a very unique voice, but she's consistently picking the wrong songs. I agree with Randy and Cara on the artists she should pick from.

Danny - I love Danny - but I wasn't as blown away as the judges were. I think there were a few times when he didn't quite hit those notes that Gary from RF hits! Still a good performance though and you know it was from his heart.

Allison - I have to give her props. Yeah, her outfits are out there but come on - she's a teenage rocker-wanna-be!!! Didn't we (us older folks :nahnah:) dress like our idols when we were younger? Yeah - I don't think she needs all the crazy style though when she has such a powerful voice anyway. I honestly don't think she's "Idol" ready though yet. She needs a little polish yet.

Scott - No doubt about it, he was really good, but I don't think I can get past his mannerisms. (My sentiments exactly Brooke).

Matt - I really want to like this guy - and he does have an awesome bluesy voice - but he needs to stick to songs that highlight that voice. Last night's song did NOT.

Lil' Rounds - Double ditto. I'm just not feelin' her dawg..... (lol) And PLEASE stop with the new hairstyles!!!! Ugh! I love her short hair - long hair does NOT work for her!!! Beautiful voice - but - didn't like the song.

Adam - I guess I'm one of the ones who loves this guy. Yeah - he's over the top for sure... but he's definitely got a set of pipes! My prediction is this - that he and Kris go head to head in the finals and Kris wins - with Adam free to pursue something really big (other than the American Idol title). Look what happened to Jennifer Hudson - didn't win the title but look at all she's done since then! Adam is definitely going to be someone - and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a lead singer for a really awesome band. (As dear Paula said - he could easily be compared to Mick Jagger and/or Steven Tyler). I think that's what Paula said - she's so friggin' hard to understand sometimes!!!

Kris - Infreakingcredible!!! I LOVE this kid (more than I should admit!!!) He's got the whole package I think and would be a great American Idol. (I feel for his young pretty wife - she's gonna have a lot to compete with out there!!!)

Bottom 3: Matt, Anoopdawg, and Scott

Who will go home: Matt

Molly
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Random thoughts:

Anoop -boring

Megan -only to be taken in very small doses-like the Tylenol I needed
after she sang

Danny -Well, I'm biased for the hometown boy. Like Maleah, he made me
tear up last night. He's just such a fantastic spirit.

Allison - Waaay to much attention given to her outfit. I love that song,
but I thought she was only OK.

Scott - boring

Matt - I can't concentrate when he's singing coz I keep staring at that
thing in the middle of his forehead.

Lil - Hmmmm....let's see what's happening over at Dancing With the
Stars
(remote clicking)

Adam - Why is it everyone else gets nailed by the judges when they
"scream" a song? It's the same sound I remember one of our cats
made when it crawled under the hood of my dad car during the
night and the next morning he started the engine...

Kris - He gets better every week.

Bottom 3: Anoop, Megan, Matt

Going home: Megan

Brooke
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM

:ack: Now now Molly!

I have had this happen too many times. :-(

Prettymaid
04-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Ouch! And I mean that both ways!

Molly, you should be a judge! Your comments were cracking me up!

MikeA
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Ugh,

Idol has a couple of very talented individuals up there this year.

That Kris guy, he pulled me in tonight...(I watched a recording of the show tonight). When he digs in like he did with that song he did, he is as good as if not better than anyone other than maybe Cari Underwood, who has ever been on that show. Blew me away to see he was from Conway, Arkansas! Heck, that's pretty much next door to where I grew up! No matter, he has some chops!

Adam, okay, he screwed up "Ring Of Fire" and REALLY turned me off. But everything else he's done that I've heard has knocked me out! Yesh, I can't imagine anything American Idol could do for him now that he couldn't be topping by being out there selling records. Of course, it is Idol that's given him the exposure but man, he's got it if he can figure out how to sell it. If he gets any kind of break at all with a band (and I agree that he needs to be a front-man with a good kick-a$$ group!) he will be the biggest thing ever to come out of Idol. If he goes it alone, I don't think he can "do it" like Underwood did. He really needs a band.

As for the song....he did Take It To The Limit. Why? Because he CAN and in this case at least, I felt it really worked with that song and his arrangement. Just don't let him sing Johnny Cash again! <LOL>

sodascouts
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
So long Megan! I was never your biggest fan, but you gave it your best shot - even if your actions during tonight's show were bizarre, to put it mildly.

(And my prediction was wrong AGAIN!)

Next week is "Pick a Song from the Year You Were Born." Prepare to feel old....

Birthdays:
Adam Lambert - January 29, 1982
Allison Iraheta - April 27, 1992
Anoop Desai - December 20, 1986
Danny Gokey - April 24, 1980
Kris Allen - June 21, 1985
Lil Rounds - November 14, 1984
Matt Giraud - May 11, 1985
Scott MacIntyre - June 22, 1985

eaglesvet
04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I have been having Internet connection problems the last few days, so I hope I can get this to post. Actually, it's my 2nd try...

First of all, fan belt kitties are nothing to joke about, even at Adam's expense! That being said, I do agree that he was screaming those notes, and not doing the song any justice at those points. The un-screamed portions of the song were going just fine, IMO, although I like last week's performance much more overall.

I, too, am now a Kris convert. He is awesome! And his birthday is the same as mine, which has got to account for some kind of karma or something :hilarious: (OK, so he's just a few years younger, I'll admit it!) He and Danny are my two faves. Oh, and Allison has also moved on up in my estimation in the last 2 weeks. I really didn't think much of her until last week, which was amazing. This week, I thought her vocals were also very good. I didn't think much about the outfit either way, given her age. I guess I'm ready to expect anything from a teenager's wardrobe at this point!

What d'ya think about David Cook's new single? I liked it! I was trying to figure out if the blonde in the video is his girlfriend (Kim somebody, I think), who apparently was a early Idol contestant (before season 5, which is when I began getting sucked in...)

Maleah
04-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Has anyone downloaded any of the itunes versions of these songs? They are the studio recorded full songs. I just downloaded Kris' "Ain't No Sunshine" and Danny's "What Hurts The Most." The first being buttery smooth....the second....wow...he hits a couple of notes in there that he didn't even attempt live. It's quite amazing!

Molly....I feel the same way about Adam ;) AND about Danny. I just love the way he connects. It's one thing to have a good voice.....but to make someone FEEL what you're singing.....well that's not an easy thing to accomplish and like I said....I was in tears.

EV.....I almost feel bad saying this....but the good news is that Kimberly is now David's ex! Yeah, yeah ok I feel bad but they just never seemed like a pair. lol

K I'm gonna go listen to "What Hurts The Most" again....right about right around the 2:42 section of the song ;)

Prettymaid
04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Bye Megan. :bye: What was with the cawing as she 'flew' to her seat and the overemphasized facial expressions during the show? I think maybe she'd make a good actor in the same mold as Jenny McCarthy.

Here's my list, starting with who I want to go home first:

Scott
Anoop
Lil
Matt
Danny
Adam
Kris
Allison to win

The last four were hard, and I'm sure it could change as the weeks wind down. This is just how I feel right now.

Brooke
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I was shocked to find Allison in the bottom three. And glad to see Megan go. She was just wierd.

eaglesvet
04-04-2009, 07:36 PM
"EV.....I almost feel bad saying this....but the good news is that Kimberly is now David's ex! Yeah, yeah ok I feel bad but they just never seemed like a pair. lol" --Maleah

Oops, pardon me...I usually try to stay on top of the celebrity buzz! I guess Jenn/John just overshadowed them. Come to think of it, I never see David on the cover of those mags in the grocery checkout line---he's just too private, thankfully! He really does deserve the right woman; I hope he finds someone who can appreciate his many good qualities (at least from my perspective, which I realize is pretty limited!!) BTW, was that his ex in the video?

Prettymaid
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Nope EV, that wasn't Kimberly Caldwell (or whatever her last name is). You can see her on the TV Guide channel on TV.

DonFan
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
A post from another blog about American Idol:

I thought I'd suggest some songs for some of the folks in the contest. Starting with the oldest, Danny Gokey (1990), it would be "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen. Then to Adam in 1982 and it just has to be "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley. LHM, he could do that song so proud. And for Lil and 1984, she had better pick my main woman, Tina Turner, and "Better Be Good To Me. She's got the energy and she's got the pipes to hit this one out of the park. We have three 1985 babies in Kris, Matt and Scott. I'm picking "Lover Boy" by Billy Ocean for Kris, "One More Night" by Phil Collins for Matt and "No More Lonely Nights" by Paul McCartney for Scott.

Those are excellent suggestions. Eagles/Henley and Queen--my two favorite groups/singers on the planet! It would be great if some of the contestants actually picked some of these songs.

eaglesvet
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Matt could do that Phil Collins song well, I bet.

sodascouts
04-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, we got a Henley song, but it didn't work out so well!

Kris did All She Wants to Do Is Dance - with a kind of jazz/horns take. It... didn't really work.

Listen to it here:
http://www.rickey.org/?p=13924

Maleah
04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Do to darn work, I missed Danny, Kris, and Lil so I'll wait until I hear the complete songs before I write my "review." lol I only heard the clip at the end and it definently was a little different. With the way that the guys seem to feel about Idol, I'm kind of suprised that Don gave permission for them to use his song. Although it's DEFINENTLY very, very, VERY good promotion for him and his work!!!!!!

Prettymaid
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Danny (Stand By Me) - Danny's standing his ground and belting out the ballads. Good job!

Kris (All She Wants to Do Is Dance) - All I wanted to do was change the channel! Bottom three tomorrow.

Lil (What's Love Got to Do With It) - I'm getting bored. Bottom three.

Anoop (True Colors) - He's earned himself another week.

Scott (The Search Is Over) - Yes Scott, the search is almost over and you ain't it!

Allison (I Can't Make You Love Me) - I love this song and she sang it better than the original! I'm feeling 'finale' for this girl!

Matt (Part Time Lover) - Great job. It's just not my thing. But he's very good.

Adam (Mad World) - OMG! The control this guy has over his vocals! He's meeting up with Allison in the finale!

Who's going home? Scott...please let it be Scott! :pray:

DonFan
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, we got a Henley song, but it didn't work out so well!
Kris did All She Wants to Do Is Dance - with a kind of jazz/horns take. It... didn't really work.

You are so right. It didn't work at ALL.

Adam was wonderful, again. I hate that the producers allowed the show to get so behind schedule that he was not allowed to receive his well-deserved praise from all four judges. Adam, Allison and Danny remain in my top three, and I think Scott will be the next one voted off.

eaglesvet
04-08-2009, 12:48 AM
When I heard the beginning strands of "All She Wants to Do is Dance," I couldn't help but smile in thinking of all the Borderers who watch the show smiling...but then I realized it was all downhill from there! Oh, brother. But, I think Kris has got enough of a fan base from past weeks to (hopefully) make it through.

I thought Anoop really scored with "True Colors." I never really appreciated Cyndi Lauper, but his version showed me what a beautiful song it really is. And his voice was incredible on it.

Ditto for Allison! Great song choice for her, and her vocals were right on! And this week she dressed appropriately, although now Simon had to comment that she wasn't quite likeable enough. Way to go.

And ditto for Matt--he really showed his strengths in the Stevie Wonder song. I was afraid that the judges were going to say that Stevie's songs shouldn't be touched (like they do whenever a woman tries to sing Mariah or Celine or Whitney.) Thankfully, Matt did the song justice!

Embarrassingly, I didn't recognize Adam's song, even though the eighties were my prime music listening era. And even though I liked Tears for Fears. And have one of their albums. Just not that one. Thank heavens for google and wikipedia. I now know both the history of the song, and the entire plot and underlying meaning of Donnie Darko. Sounds like a really weird movie. I definitely would have liked to hear all the judges comments on Adam's performance, since I have absolutely no context to base my opinion on...which is, a good performance, but not my favorite. See above.

sodascouts
04-08-2009, 01:12 AM
OK, my thoughts!

Danny - I thought his version of Stand By Me was an interesting take, and he made it work. Good job!

Kris - I was trying to be tactful earlier, but as soon as I heard the weird horn opening, I knew we were in for trouble. It reminded me of Heney's cabana Hotel California, only worse. I give the guy props for showing appreciation for our guy and I realize he was attempting to "make the song his own" but sorry... that was a FAIL! Still, I hope he doesn't go home just yet.

Lil - Was anyone else surprised that "Lil Rounds" is her real name? I thought for sure it was a stage name, like Lil' Kim.... but apparently that's not the case! I had no problem with her performance - it wasn't the best of the night, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Anoop - I love "True Colors" - one of my faves from when I was a kid. He did a good job with it and showed you just how textured his voice is. Nice! (Right up there with Lucy Walsh on Rock the Cradle!)

Scott - Again, another song I love - in fact, "The Search Is Over" was on one of my mix tapes that I played over and over! Scott was brave to come out there with a guitar and rock it. The song is very powerful when done right, but very difficult to sing, and it showed. Still, he was so earnest... it's hard to hate on it.

Allison - I have this song on my George Michael's Ladies and Gentleman CD, and it's also a fave of mine. (I'm an eighties girl, what can I say!) At first I thought it would be too mature of a song for her - especially when she started with kind of a smile during "turn down the bed" - but then she got into the song and rocked it. You go, Allison! She better not be in the bottom three again after that.

Matt - I was nervous FOR Matt when he began this song. It's difficult to sing, and he really needed to excel to overcome the judges' negativity from the last show. Obviously, it worked - they were happy. I wasn't feeling it as much as some of his other performances, though. My felllow Idol-watching friend texted me that she thought it was obvious that this song was picked to please the judges and not Matt. I think I agree with that. Hopefully, he won't be at the bottom three again like the last time the judged loved on him! He deserves to stay. Go, Matt!!!

Adam - OK, Adam fans.... I'll say it.... he did good. I love Tears for Fears and while "Mad World" isn't one of my favorite songs of theirs, he really did it justice. I think he does best on these type of very dramatic, theaterical songs. Also, he controlled his voice and didn't do those over-the-top screeches that annoy me so (except for the last note). As a result - nice job, Adam! Didn't think it was so great that it deserved a standing ovation though.

Bottom Three: Scott, Kris, Lil.

Who Will Go Home: I think Scott's time has finally run out.

ETA: If you want to want to watch the episode online, you can do it here:
http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-season-8-top-9-performance-video-2.htm

Prettymaid
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Adam was wonderful, again. I hate that the producers allowed the show to get so behind schedule that he was not allowed to receive his well-deserved praise from all four judges.

Tell me about it! My SIL stopped by just after Kris' performance and stayed and talked during the show, so I missed some of the others. After Matt's performance I realized that I didn't remember seeing Adam at all and it was very close to the top of the hour. Fortunately, I can rewind during a show, so I rewound to the beginning, replaying the parts I had missed. But because the show was scheduled to end at 8:00 (CDT), it did not record Adam's performance. I had to watch it online. Anyone who recorded the show to watch later will miss Adam! That's not fair!

Stars
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I was so disappointed with Kris' version of "All She Wants to do is Dance"! I had just come home from working late, and he was just beginning to sing. I actually had to leave the room!:-(

eaglesvet
04-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Even though I agree it was time for Scott to go, I actually got teary-eyed when it all came down to decision time. He obviously had the crowd behind him; and the fact that the judges were deliberating as long as they did made it seem like he might live to see another week. He really has an extraordinary personality, and did serve as model of inner strength and grace.

eaglesvet
04-09-2009, 03:03 AM
BTW, I am really diggin' Adam's look this week. Somehow his hair is different than before the DA/pompadour...I think it just may be off his face a little more, but it really makes a difference. Opens him up in more flattering way. And maybe less makeup?

Prettymaid
04-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Yea! :blueblob: Scott's gone!

Did anyone else notice that when Ryan asked him a question after he sang, he replied, "I'd have to look at the tape." ???

I know he has some vision but is that common for a blind person to say?

Just curious.

sodascouts
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I think Scott was joking. He seems to deal with his disability with humor. He appears to be a really sweet guy, and while I definitely thought he needed to go, I am a bit sad for him. However, this isn't the "Nicest Guy in America" contest, and it was time.

Evet - it's funny you mention that you were a bit sad too, as my AI-loving friend texted me the same thing! "I thought he should go, but I'm a little sad anyway!" I guess that's just the effect Scott has on people. As I said, he seems like a really great guy, and I wish him the best of luck in the future.

MikeA
04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I hadn't watched the tape of the show (yeah, missed recording Adam's segment but caught it on YouTube before they pulled it off for Copyright infringement).

Kris sang....I had read what you guys had written about "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" but when he started singing it, I didn't even notice the song because of the distraction of his voice! A Shame. He's better than that! Sad.

sodascouts
04-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I like Kris, and while I was relieved that he was safe on the one hand, I was astonished that Anoop got put in the bottom three after he got praised by the judges. Obviously, America has their favorites, and it matters little what the judges say!

Brooke
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Finally, I'm getting to post my thoughts here. I missed Danny and Kris, so I can't comment on them. Pm, hope you don't mind if I use your format.

Danny (Stand By Me)

Kris (All She Wants to Do Is Dance)-Dang, I wished I'd seen this!

Lil (What's Love Got to Do With It) Yeah, boring.

Anoop (True Colors) - Good, but not great.

Scott (The Search Is Over) - He can sing, but just not enough personality.

Allison (I Can't Make You Love Me) - I thought she did great on the song, but I'm still not liking her clothes.

Matt (Part Time Lover) - Very good.

Adam (Mad World) - Fantastic! But what is the deal with going over on time? That was terrible for whoever is in charge of this to let this happen.

Who's going home? "Scott...please let it be Scott!" Thank you!

My faves this time were Adam and Allison, but I'm afraid Allison is just too young to grasp what she needs to do. Lighten up girl! Kris is right up there and I need to hear Danny again.

The most aggravating thing for me is the judges. They take way too much time. Kara especially. Paula looked as if she was crying for Scott, too. I think that is very unprofessional of her.

Prettymaid
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Brooke, you can watch Danny's performance here:

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/caseycarlson/?action=view&current=danny-2009-04-07mp4ff.flv

and Soda has the link to Kris right here on the previous page.

Maleah
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Paula often cries when someone is sent home. I know a lot of times she doesn't make sense and says silly things, but you can tell she is a very soft-hearted person and she takes these kids "under her wing" and gets attached to them. She's said that many times over the years, as have Ryan, Randy, and Simon about her. I can't stand listening to her talk (lol!) but I do like the fact that she is kind hearted and really cares about the contestants.

MikeA
04-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Paula often cries when someone is sent home. I know a lot of times she doesn't make sense and says silly things, but you can tell she is a very soft-hearted person and she takes these kids "under her wing" and gets attached to them. She's said that many times over the years, as have Ryan, Randy, and Simon about her. I can't stand listening to her talk (lol!) but I do like the fact that she is kind hearted and really cares about the contestants.

Paula does okay when she has her meds <LOL>

I wonder if they are grooming that other lady judge to replace Paula. Probably not as they have too good a gimmic going with the interaction between Paula and Simon.

Brooke
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Doh! Thanks Pm! Too many irons in the fire here!

So, Danny was excellent, but.......I don't know, I just haven't warmed up to him.

Kris was excellent, but hated what he did with the song. Like Randy said, I lost Kris there. But even though I didn't like what he did, you can tell he is really talented. And cute!

Prettymaid
04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Next week is songs from the movies. Any ideas for what you'd like to hear somebody sing?

Maleah
04-11-2009, 12:05 AM
As long as nobody sings anything from "The Bodyguard" or "Titanic," I'm good! ;)

sodascouts
04-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Here's some ideas (forgive me if I seem trapped in the 80s!)

Eye of the Tiger (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xolm3_survivor-eye-of-the-tiger_music) (Rocky III) - Adam
Take My Breath Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DARX9nzNE3E) (Top Gun) - Allison
Against All Odds (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu4uz_phil-collins-against-all-odds_dating) (Against the Odds) - Anoop
Man In Motion (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21a7r_john-parr-man-in-motion-st-elmos-fi_music) (St. Elmo's Fire) - Danny
Wind Beneath My Wings (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xks3_bette-midler-wind-beneath-my-wings_music) (Beaches) - Lil Rounds
Power of Love (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qh9_huey-lewis-and-the-news-power-of-lo) (Back to the Future) - Kris

Stepping away from the 80s....
Iris (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvppl_goo-goo-dolls-iris_music) (City of Angels) - Matt

Maleah - bet ya dollars to donuts Lil Rounds does "I Will Always Love You" from The Bodyguard. Either that or "And I Am Telling You" from Dreamgirls.

But I have to admit my predictions aren't usually all that accurate. Who knows, maybe Adam will perm his hair, put on a tophat, and do Pure Imagination (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI) from the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! lol

eaglesvet
04-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Seems like an ole' standby has been "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"--but who to do it this time around??:confused:

Stars
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Allison maybe?

Maleah
04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Or Kris.....I could see him making it acoustic with just him and the guitar

And it wouldn't suprise me if Lil sang that at all Nancy! Either of them!

sodascouts
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
There's actually video of Kris doing Somewhere Over the Rainbow on YouTube. I hope he doesn't do it, though, as another contestant did the exact same thing last year.

EagleLady
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Maybe one of them will do My Heart Will Go On from Titanic

eaglesvet
04-11-2009, 08:20 PM
That's interesting about Kris's video of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." And it seems there has been at least one or two contestants a year doing it at one point or another during the season. One season, at the finale, one of the judges hand-picked that song for the contestant to sing on the last show (maybe Katharine McPhee from Taylor Hicks' season? I can't remember for sure.)

eaglesvet
04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
There's actually video of Kris doing Somewhere Over the Rainbow on YouTube. I hope he doesn't do it, though, as another contestant did the exact same thing last year.
OK, now I'm pretty sure last year was the ever-mellow Jason Castro who did it. Katharine McPhee did a more traditional rendition the year before.

Prettymaid
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Lil needs to step away from the power ballads this week and get back to her audition style. Here it is for those of you who missed it or have forgotten. Her audition starts around 3:57.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/caseycarlson/?action=view&current=lil-rounds-audition.flv

I'm going way-y-y-y back with these choices!

Allison - The Rose (from The Rose)
Danny - Everything I Do (from Robin Hood)

eaglesvet
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
How about The Big Chill, one of the big soundtrack movies from the early 80's? I just looked up a track list: You Can't Always Get What You Want, Good Lovin', In the Midnite Hour, When a Man Loves a Woman, Wouldn't it Be Nice, Quick Silver Girl, The Weight (don't know these last two), Bad Moon Rising, Gimme Some Lovin', Tell Him, Joy to the World, Ain't too Proud to Beg, I Second that Emotion, Tracks of My Tears, Heard it Through the Grapevine, You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman, My Girl, Whiter Shade of Pale.

Granted, at least one of these was done during Motown week...but there are an awfully lot of good songs on the list!

I also heard It's in His Kiss (The Shoop Shoop Song) by Cher from Mermaids last night...Allison? Lil? Not sure. It's a fun song, though.

Hope no one tries POYPOM after last week's debacle. Well, on second thought, it might work, depending on who it was and how they approached it.

sodascouts
04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Our guys have done tons of soundtrack songs... it would be interesting if one were picked! But yes, if so, hopefully they would treat it better than Kris treated ASWTDID. :: cringe ::

I read one blog that said Kris just didn't get - or at least didn't express - the cynicism and sarcasm of the song that communicate its condemnation of the oblivious "ugly American." I like Kris, but I agree with that assessment.

I wonder if the songs will have to be original soundtrack songs, or just anything that's ever appeared in a movie? If it's the latter, they might as well not even have a category, as the field would be HUGE. But I don't really consider something like Lyin' Eyes (featured on Rhinestone Cowboy) or Life in the Fast Lane (featured on FM) soundtrack songs!

Prettymaid
04-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Just off the top of my head, Lil already did I Will Always Love You, albeit it was during Hollywood week, and Kris has already done To Make You Feel My Love from Hope Floats. Soda's right - if any song ever sung in a movie is allowed, then release the hounds!

eaglesvet
04-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Graham came up with Say from The Bucket List--I think Kris could pull this off well. He also thought of Rascall Flatts' version of Life is a Highway from Cars--he thought it would've been great for Michael (?) the oil-rigger dude, if only he were still in the mix!

sodascouts
04-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, that was disappointing overall! Not one but TWO songs by Bryan Adams? I mean, I like the guy, but come on. And a lot of mess ups on pitch.

Allison - She had some iffy moments, but she saved it at the end. Good job!

Anoop - He's got such a great voice but he just doesn't have the dynamism to be the American Idol, IMHO

Adam - He's not my style, but he always hits those notes dead on, and you gotta respect that. Still... so over the top... I find it hard to watch. I can't help it!

Matt - I love Matt, but choosing this song and begging comparisons to Daughtry.... not smart. Still, he did good except for a couple bad moments.

Danny - Love this song, and he did a great job! One of the best of the night, and I'm not usually a GokeHead.

Kris - Great song but I was surprised he chose it. It's hardly obscure though, Kara! I thought he did fine, but nothing spectacular.

Lil Rounds - The Rose is a lovely song, but this was her worst performance yet, I think.

Bottom Three: Lil Rounds, Anoop, and (sadly) Matt

Who should go home: Lil. No question about it!

PS. Great guesses Prettymaid! Your picks both got sung (just by other people)

sodascouts
04-15-2009, 01:06 AM
This is a bit tangential, but it does involve Simon....

My friend sent me a link from the show "Britain's Got Talent" where a Scottish woman, who looks a bit frumpy and mousy, turns out to have an INCREDIBLE voice that brought everyone to their feet and even brought some tears to eyes. Amazing! And the looks on the judges faces... worth seven minutes of your time to watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

eaglesvet
04-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Actually, I stumbled upon this myself yesterday. Her voice was pretty stunning, and I read that Simon Cowell enterprises was already negotiating with her on a contract, before she officially won anything. On the same show, they have a 6-yr-old girl named Connie (I think) who stuns Simon and the rest of the crowd again with her "pitch-perfect" rendition of....Somewhere Over the Rainbow." (Told ya, there's got to be one version at least every season, and now also on each side of the Pond, as well!) After watching her video of that song, there were links to her doing other songs that were absolutely amazing for a child of any age! She did Ben at least as well as MJ did. Obviously her career is set in stone as she gets older!

eaglesvet
04-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Now, back to AI...I was quite impressed by Soda picking Lil to sing Bette, and PM picking someone to sing The Rose. And I didn't think Lil's version was thaaat bad. I thought she did bring it back to reflect more of her own style, as she defended herself to Simon after his comments. However, I do agree her time is limited.

I think Kris' Falling Slowly was tremendous, and I'm saying that without ever having heard the original. (Yes, it was somewhat obscure to me. That being said, I absolutely remember the 2 Irish singer-actors winning the Academy Award for that song in 2007...it's just that I never had heard the actual song! It makes me really want to see the movie, however!)

As for the 2 Bryan Adams' songs, I thought Anoop's vocals were more true and exciting than Matt's. Matt definitely had some pitch problems, and just seemed a bit weak overall.

Although I've loved Danny since day 1, I want him to break out of his mold and try something different than ballads. His voice is beautiful; I just want to see something totally unique from him. This week was kinda more of the same.

I think that Adam was just way toooo far over the top tonight. I can only take him when he's a bit more restrained in the song style.

I thought Allison did well. What a polished performer she is on stage! Definitely one of the best in that regard.

Maleah
04-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Not so great of a week, imo. What was with Quintin T. as a mentor? I get that it was movie week, but he's no singer. Anyway.....

Allison - Didn't think it was her best performance but man can that girl sing!

Anoop - Of the two Bryan Adams songs, I thought Anoop did the best. Wasn't my FAVORITE, mind you, but he's got a great voice that's for sure. I agree with Soda though, he just doesn't have that "it" factor that is needed for a winner on AI.

Adam - The guy can sing...that's for sure....but I just can't stand listening to him! He's SO over the top the majority of the time that sometimes I have to turn the channel. I like him best when he's subdued and toned down to be honest.

Matt -Again, agree with Soda. Matt didn't do himself any favors by choosing a song that Chris Daughtry did (and QUITE well!). I think I would have liked it more if it would have just been him and the piano through the entire song. It would have had a more intimate feel to it. Sometimes I think he tries to overdo it with his runs. Not bad, but not great either.

Danny - I actually feel like Danny HAS switched it up. He's done the ballads and he's done the funky, fast songs. The thing that Danny has that few of the other contestants have, is the ability to connect emotionally through a song. I got that from him again tonight. When he sings, he can make me cry, smile, laugh, sob.......I FEEL it. I actually thought his song tonight was a little more mellow than his usual and I really liked it!

Kris - I have no idea what in the world Randy was talking about. I thought Kris did a great job on this song. It was kind of nice to see him step completely away from an instrument and just sing. I liked it!

Lil Rounds - I understand why Lil is a little confused with the judges....I have no idea what exactly they want from her either. That being said, I ALSO see where the judges are coming from. Lil hasn't shown anything anywhere NEAR her original audition performance. I didn't think she was horrible tonight, but she just doesn't have that "it" factor for me either.

Bottom Three: Lil Rounds, Anoop, and Matt

Who should go home: Lil is definently the one who deserves to go, imo

Prettymaid
04-15-2009, 07:47 AM
I was also confused and a little disappointed to hear that Quentin Tarantino would be the mentor this week. I mean, what's he going to do next - critique surgeons on their style of suturing?

Allison - Don't Want to Miss a Thing (Armageddon) - Well, I sure would have rather heard her do The Rose, but hey, she nailed it once again. Safe.

Anoop - Everything I Do (Robin Hood) - Again, I would have rather heard Danny do it, but you know what? I think Anoop did very well this week. I agree with everybody else, though. He just doesn't have what it takes.

Adam - Born to Be Wild (East Rider) - It will be interesting as the weeks wind down to see whether Adam can withstand the criticism that is represented here. After all, if you guys feel that way, many more must. I don't know what to say - but the boy can definitely sang!

Matt - Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Don Juan De Marco) Matt has not grown on me. He will be in the bottom three.

Danny - Endless Love (Endless Love) This has never been one of my favorite ballads. The melody is all over the place. But Danny once again did his thing.

Kris - Falling Slowly (Once) I've never heard the song, but that's not saying much lol! He did okay.

Lil - The Rose (The Rose) No-o-o-o Lil, don't change it! It's a beautiful song. Leave it alone! I can feel Lil's desperation. She just doesn't understand what the judges want from her. She's toast.

Bottom three - Matt, Anoop and Lil.

Say goodbye to Lil.

What did you think of the weak reason given for splitting the judges up? I was upset last week that they ran over, but not because of the show that comes on after it! Cmon guys. Give us what we want (all four judges) and get it done in the allotted time!

MikeA
04-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Could save time and not lose content by abating Paula Abdroooooool.

Stars
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I thought Danny and Allison were the best of the night, although I did enjoy Kris' song too. Having seen the movie "Once" twice (lol), I am very familiar with that song-it's quite lovely.
Sadly, I also think Lil will go tonight. She has a beautiful voice, but I don't think she has been delivering what the judges seem to think she should be delivering. I can understand why she is confused though.:-(

sodascouts
04-15-2009, 09:58 AM
The judges-splitting thing was odd. If having 4 judges is really that much of a problem, perhaps they should let Kara go.

Of course, cutting down on the blather would help a lot too! They could start playing music whenever one of the judges went overtime in their evaluations, just like the Oscars!

eaglesvet
04-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I noticed it took till 8:15 to get the first singer done, which means the first 15 minutes is being overloaded with too much intro stuff. Maybe cut back on the Ryan Seacrest dialogues, too. Ah, by next week it shouldn't be a problem, since presumably they have one less singer...unless, of course, they use the judge's save...

Brooke
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I didn't really get QT as a mentor either, Maleah.

Allison - Don't Want to Miss a Thing (Armageddon) - I thought she was gorgeous on this, but I still would like to see her do something young and more fun. Like who, I don't know, because I don't listen to much current music. Any suggestions?

Anoop - Everything I Do (Robin Hood) - He really does have a beautiful soulful voice, but I agree with you all. He doesn't have the 'it' factor.

Adam - Born to Be Wild (Easy Rider) - Now come on guys.... I LOVE Adam! I thought 'Whoa!' and then 'Yeah!' Now here's one that does have the 'IT' factor! I do think he drug it out too long at the end though.

Matt - Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Don Juan De Marco) I thought he sounded very pretty, but lost it at the end.

Danny - Endless Love (Endless Love) I'm glad he lost the big glasses, but it seemed like he didn't know what to do with his hands after QT told him about it. Beautiful singing though.

Kris - Falling Slowly (Once) Didn't know this song nor have I seen the movie, but thought he did great. He's so cute!

Lil - The Rose (The Rose) I thought she sounded very pretty, but I feel a bit sorry for her. I'm as confused as she is about what they want from her.

Bottom three - Matt, Anoop and Lil.

I think Lil will be ousted, too.

I didn't like the judges being split either. If they can't do it in the time allowed, they need to do something to shorten it up. Shorter comments by everyone would help. Last week's mess up was terrible. And why does Ryan have to ask the contestants what they thought? I noticed that it took nearly 15 minutes to get to the first song, too.

Some of Simon's comments crack me up, but man can he be mean!

Good call on picking those two songs Pm!

Prettymaid
04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Here is the part of the Daily Mirror article in which Simon hints at leaving American Idol at the end of this year.

---------------------------------------------------

However, he admits that even he cannot keep up his hectic workload for too much longer. “I don’t want to come over as whiney because I am very grateful that I have got these jobs,” he says.

“But there is a point where I am not sure we can keep this schedule up. It takes longer and longer to make these shows because you have to put more into them, and I am not sure we can sustain me doing three shows a year, with the record label and the TV production company.

“Most people do one show a year and I do three and they involve a lot of travelling. One may have to go. I don’t know which one. That is the problem, I like all of them. I can’t imagine not doing Britain’s Got Talent and I can’t imagine not doing X Factor. But I guess America is more likely to go because I have got one year under contract. Maybe that will be the end.”

DonFan
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I missed American Idol last night because my daughters and I went to the theater to see Wicked. It was wonderful! If you like musicals and it comes to your hometown, take my advice and GO. You will love it.

So I was youtube-ing the AI performances last night to catch up on what I missed, and I came across a clip of Adam Lambert in the Los Angeles production of Wicked! Sweet. He is my favorite singer in the competition anyway--he has such range and control in all his performances. And last night's performance of Born to Be Wild was a blast.

Then I watched the AI elimination show tonight, which was a complete waste of time since they didn't eliminate anyone. As Simon so aptly reminded everyone in the last minute of the show, next week they will have to eliminate two contestants now, most likely Lil and Matt.

MikeA
04-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I think maybe if Matt had not thrown in that false-setto thing he'd have been alright. He did the rest of the song proud I thought.

As for Simon....he's the one that keeps the rest planted. That show needs him!

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 07:16 AM
DF, normally I would agree with you that every elimination show is a waste of time in that they stretch into an hour what could be done in half the time. However, last night for once, I was happy with the "filler". Jennifer Hudson is one of my favorite AI past contestants. I was upset when she was voted off early, but good thing she was, 'cause look at her now! I can also appreciate Miley Cyrus, who I'd never heard until last year's Idol Gives Back show. She's certainly closer to my style of music than the artists that have been on the show the last couple of weeks!

Mike, I totally agree with you. Simon is a huge part of AI's success, and I know I would not enjoy the show as much with him gone.

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 07:17 AM
If Simon leaves AI, it will take a hit in the ratings. Is it popular enough to survive anyway? I don't know. Many a popular show has lost its star, and then lost its viewers.

As for last night, I was pleasantly surprised when the judges saved my favorite Matt. I do have a bad feeling it is only a temporary reprieve, but it was still a thrill! Good call, judges!

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 07:26 AM
The audience was loud and much more excited last night all through Matt's performance than they had been before. That was an indication to me that the judges might save him. I don't care for him but I was excited for you Soda!

DonFan
04-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Simon IS the one who keeps this show grounded and on track. Hopefully he will stay, because I don't know if it will survive without his acerbic comments.

Brooke
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
I get real tired of all the commercials. It seems they have more than most shows. And Ryan's drawing out the results. Way overdone for me.

As for the save, I don't see the point in it at all. I think Matt and Lil both will go next week anyway then. So why drag it out another week? I did feel very sorry for Matt. He looked like he was very close to tears and I was in tears for him.

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
It must be hard for these kids when they get eliminated. They must feel a massive sense of rejection. I remember when Simon told Matt a few episodes ago - his first time in the bottom three, after the judges had praised him - "I guess the American people just don't like you." No wonder he was in tears.

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
At best, the save could be used if someone like, say...Allison or Danny would have been eliminated early, and in the judges view, unjustly. But America is getting it right IMO, and the save was used only because it's a new thing this year and they wanted to use it before time ran out. As Ryan pointed out, there are only two weeks left in which it could have been used!

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Right - and they probably suspected that those two weeks would be people they don't want to save (Lil and Anoop).

MikeA
04-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Didn't they "miscue" a bit between Ryan and Simon when Ryan asked if they might have someone they might use the "save" on. Simon said "maybe one of them" and Ryan then said said something about Lil as though it was a foregone conclusion that it would be her and not Matt? They broke for a commercial right then. It was a pretty brutal thing for Ryan to let slip. Especially Lil was not the one who was voted off. It was Matt that Simon saved....and from the tone of his response, I didn't get the impression he was too keen on bailing Matt. Reading a LOT between the lines here.

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I think I do remember that, Mike. I thought Ryan was just asking, "Could it be Lil?" but now that you mention it, it was kind of awkward.