PDA

View Full Version : Weird Glenn mention in a guy's blog

sodascouts
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Urban legend or truth?

From Wrecking Ball Blog: In a Big Country (http://wreckingballblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/in-big-country-3.html)

[The guy is visiting his friend John in Santa Fe.]

"We pulled onto the long, grey, gravel road. The impossibly steep drive took us to the left of the house and past the mud covered Toyota parked unceremoniously, off to the side. The house is anchored to a desert hill facing north west, and it looks like it grew out of the ground. The requisite logs protrude from the classic adobe exterior. The tea stained colors were awash in flood lights hidden by the landscaping. This house has a great history. It was built over a hundred years ago, and was owned by a local family. They sold the place to a guy named Glen Frey, in the seventies. Rumors run rampant about the multi day parties and the comings and goings of music royalty. The property adorns several cement tokens to commemorate the songs written here; Hotel California, New Kid in Town, and Lyin' Eyes (all under different working titles, that would later change). The house stayed in his hands until his romance with the place and his wife [Janie] had eroded. One night in his absence, his wife threw a party and a fire started. She and her guests stood and watched it burn while singing, dancing and drinking to commemorate the event. It was rebuilt by the man that John bought the place from, who is now a fugitive from the law."

Freypower
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I have a vague memory that the Santa Fe house did indeed burn down, but Lyin' Eyes at least was written in Dorothy Lamour's old house in LA.

glenneaglesfan
05-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Very interesting. It seems the marriage was well and truly over by then if Janie seemed gleeful about the fire. Poor Glenn.

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2008, 05:42 PM
According to Marc Eliot in TTL, the Santa Fe house was involved in 2 fires. How extensive the one not referred to here was I don't know.

I didn't think it was possible for my personal opinion of Plaintiff to drop any lower but after reading that post it has just plummeted!

Poor Glenn :heart: indeed. :hug: :iloveyou:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Hmmm - I guess there is nothing written about what caused the fire. I can't imagine not being horrified at the sight of a home burning down. Doesn't seem like much to cheer about to me. :shock: