Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed
The Heat Is On
Get Over It (Deacon)
Heartache Tonight
Hotel California (Deacon)
Take It Easy
I Hear You Knockin' (Deacon)
Desperado

I pulled up to the Manhattan Beach Lodge about 2:00, and when I got out of my car to go up to the play area, I heard the opening chords of "Hotel California." At first I was confused, then as I got closer, I heard Deacon's vocal and I realized that he was going to appear! I guess the whole gang was up for Father's Day Weekend, although I didn't see Taylor, so Glenn gave Deacon another chance to perform.

As I stood by a tree and listened to soundcheck, a couple cute kids came barreling past me with a couple blond ladies chasing after them. The little boy practically ran into me as he spun around to yell something. It was Otis and a little friend of his! Later, he went back on the stage with the little girl and danced around, after which Glenn came over and said "You were really rockin' out!" and laughed. Very cute!

I headed over to the VIP area at 3:00 and met some really nice people there who I talked to while the opening acts were playing and all that. Shout out to Mike!

The lodge had made up all sorts of T-shirts to celebrate what one of the locals told me was "the biggest thing to ever happen around here." They were pretty clever, so I bought two - a tank top that said "I was Frey'd at Manhattan Beach Lodge" and another that said "Making the call to his agent: Pennies; Finding a way to get him here: Thousands; having Glenn Frey play in Cross Lake: Priceless." I also snagged a souvenir cup - they were serving beer in them, but since I don't like beer, I asked just for the cup and they obliged. The cup says "The Heat Is On at the Big Trout Tavern."

The opening acts were pretty good. The first was GB Leighton who came out with just himself and a female violinist (her violin was purple!) and the second was Rockie Lynne. Both were country-type local acts. Leighton gave away free CDs (he ran out before I was able to get one) and Lynne finished with the Star-Spangled Banner, which I thought was nice.

Then it was time to line up at the stage for Glenn. It was starting to cloud over and what had been a lovely day threatened to turn ugly, but I crossed my fingers and staked out a spot up front. I wound up right under the keyboard where he would sit for a few songs.

I was once again surrounded by friendly people and had two young girls next to me - one 13 and one 10. Their parents were somewhere in the back. When other people tried to get in front of them, I told the girls they could get in front of me since they were short and would not impede my view. ;) One of them told me her parents knew the guy who owned the place, Rick Born. I heard from people around me that Glenn and this guy were friends because they had once worked together in some capacity - opinions varied as to what that was.

At around 7:30 he came out wearing black jeans, black dress shoes, a hot pink button-up shirt that had a button undone, and the black jacket with the bit of embroidery on it that he recently wore at a photo shoot. While most of the VIP crowd was somewhat boozy from the limitless free alcohol being served, the audience was enthusiastic.

They started off with "Peaceful Easy Feeling," but the song's mellow romance was somewhat spoilt because Glenn spent almost the entire song glaring at people who were trying to video him and shaking his head "no" at them sternly. He practically radiated displeasure and after he glared at some person near us, the young girls looked up at me wide-eyed in alarm. I think they might have thought he was mad at the whole audience, including them. Luckily I had not yet pulled out my camera, but I knew then the jig was up regarding video. At least I could still take a few photos.

Sure enough the first thing he did after the song was ask people not to take videos, but he say photos were OK. Gone was the charm of the request at the Eagles show, and gone were the jokes for the entirety of the show! He said he wasn't going to tell jokes because he wanted to beat the weather.

He did have time for a few default jokes, though, introducing the next song with a dedication to "Plaintiff" - "Lyin' Eyes." The audience enjoyed this one, and Glenn did seem to lighten up a tad.

Next, he went over to the keyboard. I could look right up at him - or at least the top half of his face - the stage was so high that I couldn't see more than that from my position directly under it. He introduced "Some Kind of Blue" by saying that not everyone may have heard the song, but he liked it, and that it was off of his second solo album, Prelude to Obscurity. (Oops Glenn - wasn't that your third solo album? ;) ) I didn't get to hear a lot of the song due to some audience drama, but what I did hear was good.

Al Garth got to shine during the next song "The One You Love" and I thought Glenn's vocals on it were very strong. In fact, I think it was one of his best vocals of the night.

As Glenn got up to get his guitar, "Silent Spring" began to play, and when the guy asked me what was coming up, I said "Tequila Sunrise." When Glenn tried to start strumming, though - no sound! They quickly got everything turned on and he started, to the audience's delight.

As the song ended, though, the rain started to come, and Glenn temporarily suspended the show so we could all seek shelter. A few people, myself included, were loath to leave their good spots by the stage even in the rain, knowing it would be difficult to get them back. I told the two girls I would save them a spot, then got under the canvas covering the keyboard with a couple really friendly women. After the rain started getting worse, we wound up seeking shelter underneath the stage with a few other people. It was dirty and muddy down there, but hey, afterwards, we did indeed still have our places by the stage!

The little girls came up again and started talking excitedly about a boy off to the side of the stage. "Who's that?" I saw who they were talking about. "That's Glenn Frey's son, Deacon." "What's his name?" "That's his name - Deacon - like in church." "Oh, Deacon! OK! I think he was looking over here!" "Maybe he thought you were cute!" I grinned. They asked how old he was, and I said 15, and I joked that he might be too old for them. One girl quickly told me that she was 13 so he wasn't too old for her!

Fittingly, when Glenn finally came back on, the song he did was "No More Cloudy Days." He introduced it with the fact that it was from the new album - "Don't know if any of you have it - is there a Walmart around here?" - and he said that it was definitely appropriate to re-start the show with. A rainbow had come out at that point, which added a nice atmospheric element.

The first time the crowd really went wild was for the next song, "Take It to the Limit." He intro'd it with his credit-card joke, then added, "I love my wife!" who was over to the side of the stage. She filmed a large portion of the show - hope Glenn wasn't mad. ;) We all got into it!

Earlier in the show, a guy near me had offered to take a picture of the setlist for me, so I knew that the only "special" song that was getting played that night was "I'll Come Runnin' Back to You." He said it was unreleased but he really liked performing it, and even did a bit of localization by throwing "Brainerd, Minnesota" into the part where he talks about how he'll come runnin' no matter where he is. He did a bit of a jog – very cute! It was one of the few songs were he seemed to get into the spirit of it (no offense to Glenn but, while his vocals were strong, it seemed a lot of the performances didn't have that extra bit of spirit that takes a show to the next level).

"You Belong to the City" rocked, largely due to an awesome instrumental duo between Danny Grenier and Al Garth. Unfortunately, something must have happened to the sound, because I could barely hear Al from where I was. I also would have some trouble hearing Glenn's vocals later, which was a bummer for me. I wonder if it was just where I was standing? I hope so.

He did "Smuggler's Blues" slow and with a funky voice - I guess the guy in the song is now smuggling downers. Of course it was enjoyable, but it's nothing compared to the real rockin' version, IMHO!

Things picked up with "Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed" - I don't care what you think of that song on the album, it plays great live. Folks really got down to it.

He finally brought out his "favorite guitarist" Deacon for the next song, "The Heat Is On." I gotta tell you, Deacon looked pretty bored - maybe he was trying to project the "too cool to care" attitude! Anyway, this song always kills live and got a great reception. The show started to pick up energy and got better from there.

Deacon sang lead for the next song, "Get Over It," and folks were rocking out to it so much that at the end Deacon actually cracked a smile! Everyone was really impressed with him.

Glenn pulled out "Heartache Tonight" and with the audience clapping and singing along, it was lots of fun. This was one of the songs where I had a hard time hearing his vocal, but unless I'm mistaken, he reversed the bridges "We can beat around the bushes" etc. and "There's gonna be a heartache tonight, the moon is shining bright" etc. Still, it sounded fine.

They went off for a brief encore break, then came back on again. Glenn said, "Here's a song I never do" and they began "Hotel California," with Deacon singing lead. Deacon did a great job with it, especially on the end when he did the duet with Danny Grenier. When the crowd went wild at the end, Danny just indicated Deacon and smiled.

Glenn then launched into "Take It Easy," which is always a crowd-pleaser, getting everybody dancing around and singing along. They went off for one more encore break, to thunderous applause.

Then they returned again, with Glenn asking the crowd, "Who wants to hear Deacon do one more song?" The crowd cheered, and they did the bluesy number "I Hear You Knockin'." I noticed that we had a couple more percussionists in the back as Otis and his little friend were banging tamborines on a platform near the drum kit. Too bad Taylor wasn't onstage or it would have been downright historic.

Desperado was the last song, and the nice guy next to me put me in front of him when some ladies tried to push past me. Otis and his friend attempted to continue banging tambourines, but that didn't last too long as this song was not very conducive to tambourine dancing. Glenn indicated the crowd for the final "Let somebody love you" and held out the "too" before the last "too late" for dramatic effect. Afterwards, he hugged Deacon - aw!

I wouldn't call it his best show ever by any means - he just didn't seem to have as much fun with it as he usually does - but I enjoyed it and I'm glad I went.

However, my experience afterwards was pretty scary. As I was leaving, I got a call from the lady who was running the tent that she still had my extra ticket if I wanted to pick it up. I returned to the tent and, as I picked it up, everyone started screaming “Tornado – get inside!” I started freaking out. TORNADO?! What about my car? Was I going to be stranded in freaking Brainerd, Minnesota?! I was so freaked out that even though I saw Danny Grenier and Jonathan Clark in the restaurant inside, I was too agitated to talk to them. I couldn’t make small talk about the show while envisioning my Honda being thrown around by tornado-force winds. About fifteen minutes later, we got the all clear – no tornado – whew! But I almost had a freaking heart attack! Not even a Glenn show is worth having your car destroyed by a tornado. ;)

Brooke
06-15-2008, 03:10 PM
OMG Soda! I'm so glad you FINALLY got there! What a trying time for you. That reminds me of my Colorado skiing vacation a couple winters ago when we had to drive at a snails pace because of slick roads making the 14 hour trip more like 18 hours.

The flooding "up there" is predicted to cause disastrous flooding all along the Mississippi valley "down here" through Missouri. I live about 20 miles from it, so I'm not in danger, but it will affect my hubbies work on a nearby bridge. He had to go help dismantle a crane Friday to get it out of the possible flood area.

At least you did enjoy the show and got to see Deacon perform again! Sounds like it was a nice family affair for Glenn for the Father's Day weekend.

And I'm so glad the tornado didn't get you either! Sheesh! Please have a safe trip home!

:pray:

glenneaglesfan
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh goodness, Soda, what an epic adventure! Floods on the way up and a tornado threat after the concert. Strange weather indeed, isn't it?

If it wasn't one of his best shows, maybe he was a bit nervous about introducing Deacon. I think that is very cool to give his son a chance to perform at one of his solo shows. The HC solo with Danny sounds awesome. How sweet to see Otis as well, and that he and his little friend contributed to the percussion.

A great review, and thanks from all of us who would have loved to have been there!

Glennsallnighter
06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Well I'm delighted that after all your trials and tribulations you managed to make it and have such a good night Soda. Otis sounds spectacular! And I'm sure Deacon did his daddy proud. Even if you feel it wasn't one of Glenn :heart: 's better gigs its great that you made it there. Great review anyway. I'd KILL for one of those t-shirts.

I wonder was this gig gotten together in a bit of a hurry and maybe thats why Glenn :heart: seemed a bit on edge.

I'm so glad for you that the tornado didn't materialise either and that your trusty Honda was safe.

Hopefully you'll make it safely home.

Glennsallnighter
06-15-2008, 06:11 PM
A great review, and thanks from all of us who would have loved to have been there!

GEF! We'll make it to a Glenn :heart: gig together yet! I wonder could we find a common interest for our hubbies? :wink:

Freypower
06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
What an experience for you Soda. It sounds as if it was worth it overall. He can't always be in a wonderful mood, I suppose.

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Actually the show was quite good - I'm just spoiled because I've seen him when he's really "on" and while he wasn't totally into it on Saturday, he certainly gave folks their money's worth. The vocals were strong, the band was rockin', and the songs were terrific - definitely worth the price of admission!

Another funny moment I recalled: when Glenn sat down at the keyboard to do "Some Kind of Blue" an inebriated guy behind me reached over my head, leaned forward, and waved his hand up at Glenn. At first Glenn ignored him, but when he persisted, Glenn told him, "I can't touch you," enunciating each word clearly so the guy understood him through his alcohol-induced haze. He put his arm down but it got a few guffaws.

Also, when they came out for the last encore and Deacon was about to play with Otis in the back with his tambourine, Glenn cried, "Happy Father's Day!"

I don't think Glenn was nervous about Deacon. He seemed much more nervous at the Roxy. At this show, he kind of let Deacon do his thing without hovering over him so much. Deacon also seemed much more comfortable and as I said, he was coppin' a bit of "rock star" 'tude. BTW, Deacon looked older at this show - maybe he did his hair different or something, maybe it was the lighting, I don't know - but he looked about 17. I was like, "Dang, did I just see this guy in April? He's like a different person."

Glenn is moody, what can you say? But it's possible the weather got to him. It was pretty icky. Anyway, he's a pro, and as I said he still put on a good show for the audience. I don't regret going one bit. I gotta get my yearly Frey Solo Show Fix, you know. ;) Besides, Glenn on an off-day (and only a slightly off-day at that) is more entertaining than most guys at their best.

BTW, I found out from a local guy that the gig was announced THREE WEEKS ago! I guess info just takes a while to trickle down the internet!

DonFan
06-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you had quite an adventure, Soda!
But I guess it was worth it to be able to say "I Got Frey'd at Manhattan Beach Lodge." :wink:

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Apparently Otis wasn't the only one to bring a friend:

"As I wrote in the newsletter this month, for many years I’ve enjoyed an extraordinary friendship with an extraordinary man and his extraordinary family. Glenn Frey of the Eagles has more facets than the Hope diamond, and when he invited me up to Cross Lake, I knew it was going to be a hoot with philosophical overtones. Adding to the warmth and meaningfulness we always share was the fact that his wife Cindy and two sons, Deacon and Otis Lincoln Douglas (you got that right — and this six-year-old has the pz-zazz to back that handle up!), and father-in-law Jerry, who can barbecue his way into Hell’s Kitchen, were all there. Deacon stole the limelight at the outdoor concert with his rockin’ guitar and vocals on some of his old man’s hits like “Hotel California.” Not to mention that Otis made his bid to insert “Tambourine Man” on the playlist. Three days of beautiful vistas on the lake, exquisite people, great food, a million laughs and pranks, music to tame the masses, and scintillating conversation. Having the privilege of looking over someone’s shoulder at the high end of another creative art form has afforded me more than a few relevant insights, and the Cross Lake happening was no exception. I’m going to try and write about that next month. Count on it."

- Thomas Sullivan's Blog on "Storytellers Unplugged" (http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/thomas-sullivan-frog-sex-or-jumping-to-conclusions)

As I was reading this, the name rang a bell, and I realized Thomas Sullivan is the guy who came up with the phrase "moral malnutrition" used in "I've Got Mine." Glenn thanks Sullivan in the liner notes.

Brooke
06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Cool!

Otis Lincoln Douglas Frey? That's quite a name to live up to, for sure! :lol:

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Cool!

Otis Lincoln Douglas Frey? That's quite a name to live up to, for sure! :lol:

I had heard Otis was for Otis Redding, but I didn't know his middle names were Lincoln-Douglas, like the debates. Wonder what the Freys were thinking when they came up with that?

Brooke
06-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Ha! I was going to mention the Lincoln-Douglas debates but thought....nah!

johnjohnm
06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi there- new poster here.
I was at the Minnesota show, too, so I thought I'd add some thoughts.

I had only heard about the show about a week ago, and was able to snag VIP tickets from a friend who knows him. A lucky break for me. The show was in the city of Manhattan Beach (not Crosslake as the thread title says, or Brainerd, as Glenn kept saying. Crosslake is about 5 miles away. Brainerd is about 30 miles away). Glenn has been to the area several times, fishing and playing golf; and he's friends with Rick Born, the lodge owner and multi-millionaire who put on the show. Rick has had Glenn play at his house near Minneapolis, too, at a party for his friends. Doncha wish YOU could hire Glenn to play at your house party? :D

I thought it was a very good show. Glenn had a cold, which may explain why he wasn't as animated as he usually is. The sound was good overall, though the closer you got to the stage, the worse it was, since the speakers were all facing farther outward. Usually, there are speakers pointed down at the folks in the front rows, but there weren't on Saturday. Ironically, the people who paid the most for their tickets got the worst sound :-)

Deacon was a lot of fun to watch (and I went with my 16 year old nephew, who thought Deacon was the highlight), but the best thing for me, as a father, was watching Glenn as he watched Deacon perform. The pride on his face was so much fun to see. And, it seemed like Glenn took special pride in seeing his son perfom so well on Father's Day weekend. Since Deacon was taking Henley's vocal parts, he would copy Henley's vocal inflections, too, which seemed to amuse Glenn. Deacon's 'guitar duel' with Danny at the end of Hotel California was a real treat, too.

Despite a slow start, and a rain delay, it really was a fun show to watch. Go Glenn!

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Welcome, John! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I created the thread when I first got the news, and the flyer for the program said that the lodge was in Crosslake. I asked some folks what was up with that and they said that the town line between Crosslake and Manhattan Beach was pretty much RIGHT there where the lodge is - is that incorrect?

I'm sorry to hear Glenn had a cold. You'd never have known it from the strength of his vocals. What a pro!

Your mention of the party Born hired Glenn to do rang a bell - I actually have a page about that in my tour archive (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/tour/rickborn2000.htm). Joe Walsh was at that party, too. Must have been wild!

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 03:58 PM
The photos I took didn't turn out the greatest and the angle isn't very flattering, but I'm hoping that some of the people around me took better ones and will send them to me (I handed out my e-mail to a few folks).

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008-01.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008-06.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008-07.jpg

No more cloudy days...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/rainboxMBL2008.jpg

johnjohnm
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah, he sounded very good despite the cold. When he told that guy by you that he couldn't touch him, it was because he was afraid of spreading the germs, or catching some more :D

I have a link to some pics from the event , but the system isn't letting me post it. I'll try again later.

Cheers!

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Ooh, can't wait to see your photos!

In the meantime, I got this off a local news site:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008.jpg

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, he sounded very good despite the cold. When he told that guy by you that he couldn't touch him, it was because he was afraid of spreading the germs, or catching some more :D

I have a link to some pics from the event , but the system isn't letting me post it. I'll try again later.

Cheers!

Welcome from me too JJM! I'd love to have been there. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics as well as Sodas

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh my gosh, check out all the photos here!

http://spotted.brainerddispatch.com/pages/gallery.php?gallery=466472&offset=20

Some highlights:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418122.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418112.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418117.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418187.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418192.jpg

johnjohnm
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
The pictures aren't mine. the brainerd newspaper has several pages of pictures from the event on their site, including some nice ones of the double rainbow that appeared after the 'rain break'. No more cloudy days, indeed!
If you search for the brainerd dispatch, then do an image search for "Frey", it should bring you to the pages.

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
John, we posted at the exact same time! You can see the back of my head under Glenn's keyboard in this photo (brown hair, cross bar clip, under out-of-focus camera)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418432.jpg

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
The photos I took didn't turn out the greatest and the angle isn't very flattering, but I'm hoping that some of the people around me took better ones and will send them to me (I handed out my e-mail to a few folks).

Well Soda I think they're gorgeous. I just love Glenn :heart: in pink. Thats what he was wearing the night I fell for him and it just suits him so well.

The following is my favourite :D
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008-01.jpg

IMHO he just looks EXTREMELY sexy in it :smitten: :love: I love his hair! and his mouth :kiss: , and his semi open shirt. :inlove:

Well done! I would make this my wall paper if I dared!!

Its gorgeous........he's gorgeous........Glenn :heart: Frey, :iloveyou:

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
More favorites:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418507.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2418757.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419077.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419157.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419242.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419307.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419642.jpg

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 05:24 PM
With Deacon:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419397.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419482.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419472.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419552.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419562.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419632.jpg

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2008, 05:24 PM
OMIGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm in HEAVEN here! Thanks EVERYONE!! :D :D :D

glenneaglesfan
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
First of all, JJM, welcome to the Border and thank you for your lovely review and background information.

Soda, what can I say but THANK YOU for those wonderful photos, both yours and the ones you have found. There's something about seeing Glenn under the pine trees....

I swear Deacon has grown a couple of inches since the Roxy - he's going to be taller than his dad (every son's aspiration!)

DonFan
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Those are great pics.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/2419482.jpg

They are SO cute together in this one!

DonFan
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Welcome to The Border, JJM!

Freypower
06-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Folks, you will have to excuse me but HOLY SHIT. :shock: I can't be all ladylike & demure after seeing that.

1. I knew Otis was 'Otis Lincoln Douglas' because Glenn reveals that in one of the video media interviews from 2003.
2. Welcome to The Border, John. Glad you enjoyed the show.
3. I notice young Deacon has been initiated into the 'Open Shirt Policy'.
4. Desperado without a guitar. SIGH.
5. The QUIFF!!!!! :censored: His hair has never looked quite as 'quiffy' before (there's an avatar title for when I make a choice - Quite as Quiffy.
6. The embroidery continues on the back of the jacket. I want it! (The jacket, I mean, of course). :wink:
7. As I suspected, guitar tech Victor now gets to play percussion on occasion.
8. The SMILE. Wow.

I haven't even looked at the Brainerd site yet. Just all that sprung into my head very quickly. Thank you Soda.

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes! I noticed that about Deacon as well. The jeans, T-shirt and then the flowing open overshirt! Like father.......etc. But he looks so well! :D

sodascouts
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I loved the hair too - it looks so great when it's long enough to show the waves.

TimothyBFan
06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Soda so happy you were able to go. What an adventure and this will be a great story in the "how many times" topic for new members months/years down the road to read about. You had it all, floods, detours, downpours, tornadoes but also rainbows and a good show! Love all the pictures too.

glenneaglesfan
06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Now that I've started breathing again after seeing these photos, I want to thank you for that blog by Thomas Sullivan, Nancy. What a lovely warm glimpse of the Frey family and their friends. And I need to ask, what are the Lincoln-Douglas debates? It occurs to me that Otis is OLD Frey!!!

Mrs Frey
06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I decided to leave this thread for last today, since I missed so much over my long weekend. And OH MY WORD, I am quite speechless.

I haven't even gone through everything as meticulously as I'd like to (I suppose tomorrow is another day - sigh), but I managed to read your MAGNIFICENT review, Soda, and view all the AMAZING photos, so I want to THANK YOU a thousand fold!!! What a wonderful treat to come back to after having had GFO withdrawal for three days! :yay: :yay: :yay: :D :D :D

You went through such a torrid time trying to get to see Glenn :heart: - I'm sure he would REALLY appreciate your dedication - do you think he spotted you?

Welcome to The Border, JJM! :yay: :D Thank you SO much for your input as well. It's great to have you here!!

FP, when I saw the photos of Glenn :heart: without the guitar, you are the first person I thought of. It's indeed great to see him perform without it. I was watching "Live In Dublin" two nights ago, and thought of what an amazing performer he is when he sang "Livin' Right" without the guitar. Glenn :heart: doesn't realise how many attributes he has.

I'm sorry that Glenn :heart: was ill (and a bit grumpy too, apparently :wink: ) - it's probably all the touring that has caused his resistance to drop. We tend to forget that he's nearly 60 years old! At least he did manage to get into the spirit of the concert, and it's great that Deacon was once again given a chance to show off his talent. Soda, you're right - Deacon DOES look older. I noticed that too. He seems to have filled out a bit, and I noticed how tall he looks, too - he's the same height as his dad! :shock:

I wonder, though, why Glenn :heart: has now also become so dead-set against the recording of his shows. He was relaxed about it at the Roxy, so I was very surprised. Oh well, maybe there are things that have happened that we don't know about, so I respect his wishes.

All-in-all, another fantastic event. Thank you once again, Soda, for sharing your experiences with us! I'm just sorry that you had to go through such an ordeal! :hug:

Ive always been a dreamer
06-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, I'm finally getting around to commenting on these. Oh man, I so wish I could have gone with you Soda. Like you said, even if Glenn wasn't at the top of his game, the show was probably still wonderful. The pictures are absolutely HS&G, although I agree that Glenn does look tired in some of them.

I would have loved to see Deacon perform again, and it does indeed look as if Dad is giving him fashion advice. It would have been worth the trip just to see Otis on stage. So it looks like these are Mr. Tamborine man himself (and friends) on stage behind Dad.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008-06.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/GFreyMBL2008-07.jpg

Brooke
06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
OMG! Look what one can miss in just a few hours! The photos are just wonderful, Soda! Thank you so much!

gef's fave is mine also! Glenn under the trees. Hmmmm. Sounds like a peaceful, easy feeling to me! :wink: :laugh: That one is especially gorgeous. :heart:

And welcome from me too, jjm. Thanks so much for your review! Oh my, having Glenn play at my house party would be out of this world for sure!

Fp, I noticed the "open shirt/t-shirt" dress code for Deacon, too! Too funny that he actually went with it!

And look how tall Deacon is! I thought the same as gef. He is going to outgrow dear old Dad! What a cutie!

Fp, what does Quiffy mean? Curly? Fluffy? I thought his hair looked a bit "humidity challenged"! But wonderful, no less!

Oh, and if you take the jacket Fp, I'll take Glenn! :wink:

06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
OMG – I forgot to welcome you jjm. Glad you enjoyed Glenn’s show last Saturday and thank you for your review. Also glad that you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

GEF, I also meant to answer your question. The Lincoln Douglas debates were a series of debates that took place between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas in the 1850’s. They were important because they discussed the issues and morality of slavery. The debates helped Lincoln rise to national prominence and are often used as a model for modern day debates between political candidates here in the states. The only reason I can think for Glenn and Cindy using this as Otis' middle names is because the debates are symbolic for morality, ethics, and values.

And FP - I cracked up at your reaction to this thread. So did you like the pics? :D :D

And one last thing - I'm not sure about that being Victor on percussion. I could be wrong, but it doesn't really look like him to me.

sodascouts
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Now that I've started breathing again after seeing these photos, I want to thank you for that blog by Thomas Sullivan, Nancy. What a lovely warm glimpse of the Frey family and their friends. And I need to ask, what are the Lincoln-Douglas debates? It occurs to me that Otis is OLD Frey!!!

They're a series of famous debates between then-Illinois-Senatorial candidate Abraham Lincoln and his opposition, Stephen Douglas. They dealt mostly with slavery and established Lincoln as a formidable anti-slavery candidate, springboarding him towards the Presidency after they were published in book form and garnered widespread popularity with the reading public. The debates became a model for a style of debate that emphasizes values and morality using the tools of emotional response, logical analysis, and philosophical theory.

MF - Glenn would've had to have been blind not to see me, as I was right at his feet. But as has been his custom in the past during solo shows, he didn't interact with audience members and instead concentrated on performing. While he's made a couple of notable exceptions ;) , that's not the norm - at least not in recent years. When it comes down to it, that's all I am - another audience member, another Frey fan screaming my head off!

And it's all good to me. I don't attend solo shows in order to get smiled upon. I don't expect him see me in the audience and go "It's NANCY! YAY! I'm so THRILLED she is attending my show! Let me do a dance of joy and dedicate it to her!" lol. I attend solo shows to hear him play and, despite being bummed that he didn't do any new songs, I got what I came for. Seeing his sons onstage was an unexpected treat that made the trip even more worthwhile, although it would have been even cooler to see Taylor, too.

Of course, when I say Glenn didn't interact with specific audience members, I am excluding the "interactions" with those attempting to video him. They sure got some attention! lol I don't know why he suddenly changed his philosophy on that. It's too bad - I was so sure he was cool with it after the Roxy. Oh well. I figure if he had a problem with me filming that, he'd have said so when he had the chance, so who knows what the deal is.

FP - Victor was there, but I can't tell whether that's him on percussion. Folks around me were talking during the percussionist's intro. I have to agree that it doesn't seem to look like him in the photos, but from where I stood, I couldn't see the percussionist AT ALL. A couple times I ducked to see Michael Thompson, but that was it from that side.

ETA: Sorry, didn't realize that Dreamer had already answered the Lincoln-Douglas question!

sodascouts
06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Another review with pictures:

Northland Press (http://www.northlandpress.com/MBglennfreyconcert61708.html)

Freypower
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
OMG!
Fp, what does Quiffy mean? Curly? Fluffy? I thought his hair looked a bit "humidity challenged"! But wonderful, no less!

A 'quiff' was something that rock stars like Elvis had in the 50s, like a pompadour. Glenn's hair wasn't nearly as lacquered and styled as that but the way it was standing up a bit reminded me of that type of hairstyle.

Re your last comment, touche. :twisted:

Mrs Frey
06-18-2008, 02:51 AM
OMG!

A 'quiff' was something that rock stars like Elvis had in the 50s, like a pompadour. Glenn's hair wasn't nearly as lacquered and styled as that but the way it was standing up a bit reminded me of that type of hairstyle.

FP, I was going to comment on your posting about Glenn's :heart: "quiff" :D - I must say I got a great kick out of that. I'm sure you know why! :blush:

Glennsallnighter
06-18-2008, 06:13 AM
OMG!

FP, I was going to comment on your posting about Glenn's :heart: "quiff" :D - I must say I got a great kick out of that. I'm sure you know why! :blush:

I'll just say it looked gorgeous, :inlove: , particularly in that first pic that Soda took. Natural too!

Soda! I'm sure Glenn :heart: DID see you but I suppose he can't single you out ALL the time :wink: . I know too that you never look for special recognition and to be singled out although it was nice when it did happen. But I'm sure Glenn :heart: has a great deal of respect for you and the others who cross the States and make his shows what they are.
(If only I was one of them though........................ :brickwall: )

Scooby
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone, some may know me as Sunny or Sandy on other boards. :) I was able to go to the show up in Crosslake, MN, what a GREAT time we had. 8) I didnt get a chance to meet Sodascouts but hopefully someday we'll meet up at one of the shows. I thought I would post my pictures although they look the same as most of the others, they are too far away. I love the close up ones that are posted espec of Glenn and his son Deacon. BTW, his son was VERY good!

Scooby
06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I have to post on here a couple times before I can post any pictures, so will try again later! Remember they arent that exciting, like I mentioned too far away! :( :D

TimothyBFan
06-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Welcome Scooby-glad you have joined us here. :D

Freypower
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi and welcome, Scooby. I believe I do know you as Sandy (you sent me some beautiful postcards of your lovely state). :D Glad you enjoyed the show.

sodascouts
06-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Hey girl! Glad you joined! I hope one day we can indeed meet up.

glenneaglesfan
06-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the Border, Scooby! It's great to have you here, and we look forward to your pictures!

Scooby
06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone! Yeap Freypower, I'm the Sandy who sent you the postcards. :D So I'm gonna see if I can post these pics now. Here goes!

Didnt work yet......... will try again tomorrow!

sodascouts
06-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Scooby, I think you gotta post 5 times or be a member for 2 days.

BTW, I found another review with a photo!

"The Eagles' Glenn Frey Puts on a Show at Manhattan Beach Lodge" (http://www.pineandlakes.com/stories/061808/news_20080618002.shtml)

sodascouts
06-20-2008, 12:37 AM
All I can say is...

Thank GOD he performed and didn't cancel the show! Rock on, Glenn!

Share1967
06-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Good review! :D

glenneaglesfan
06-20-2008, 04:31 AM
What a great interview, Soda, thanks for posting. I love reading these insights into his family life. Lovely picture too!

Btw, thanks to you and dreamer for the Lincoln Douglas debates. I'm woefully ignorant about American history, but I shall read a bit more about this now.

Glennsallnighter
06-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Lovely review and pic Soda! I must say I too love reading about Glenn :heart: 's family life! It seems that Deacon is impressing all around him. Long may he rock!

Welcome from Ireland Scooby!

Scooby
06-20-2008, 09:03 AM
All I can say is...

Thank GOD he performed and didn't cancel the show! Rock on, Glenn!

Ain't that the truth!! :D

Thanks for the welcome Glennsallnighter!

Brooke
06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Great review Soda! I'm so glad Glenn didn't cancel that show. That would have just been awful for you after the trying time you had getting there.

Welcome from me, too, Scooby! This is a great place and you will love it! :D

StephUK
06-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Excuse me for indulging myself and posting a photo of Will from the show

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/will2/Will2008GFMinnesota3.jpg

SO GORGEOUS!

LOL
Steph

Brooke
06-20-2008, 11:41 AM
SO GORGEOUS!

So true!

:D

sodascouts
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Will's a good-looking man too, that's for sure!

Glennsallnighter
06-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Excuse me for indulging myself and posting a photo of Will from the show

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/will2/Will2008GFMinnesota3.jpg

SO GORGEOUS!

LOL
Steph

No need to excuse yourself Steph! ALL the men we consider to be 'good - looking' are welcome on the board. Bring 'em on. The more the merrier I say! :D

And Will DOES look well in that pic.

Share1967
06-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Great avatar of Glenn , he looks good in pink shirt. :D

Glennsallnighter
06-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks Share! I haven't been able to get that pic of Glenn :heart: out of my head all week. Its also my computer wallpaper and my cell phone background!

Scooby
06-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Lets see if it works this time! :D Remember now, my pics are no different than the others posted! Should have been closer where Sodascouts was! :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom005.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom007.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom012.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom018.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom019.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom021.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/kiwibird48/mom023.jpg

BTW, hubby and I just watched Farewell I dvd, I am SOOOOOO ready for them to come to Milwaukee! or MN................ :D

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2008, 04:05 AM
Great pics Scooby! Thanks. Glenn :heart: looks wonderful as always in pink.

I'm so ready for them to come to Ireland as well :thumbsup:

glenneaglesfan
06-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks for those beautiful pics, Scooby. :D Even though you were further away, you have captured the warm light and the atmosphere of the evening, and Glenn looks fabulous under those pine trees. Your camera must be pretty good, the pics are razor sharp.

Brooke
06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for those pics, Scooby! They are wonderfully clear. :D

I'm sooooo ready for the Eagles to come to Missouri or downstate IL. Please!

sodascouts
06-22-2008, 12:25 PM
THanks, Scooby! Like GEF says, they capture the mood.

Scooby
06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone! Soda, btw, I was really mad at myself for not buying a tshirt :evil: so I emailed the Manhattan Lodge and they have some left. So I called there this morning and bought the Priceless one, their sending it to me in the mail! :D

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Ive bought a few as well, but the lady I was talking to said I could use the website to email her with my address. It doesn't appear to be working. Could you pm me their email please Scooby so I can finish my transaction with them. (or anyone el :D se who might have it!) Thanks!

Freypower
06-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Those photos are really nice Scooby, thanks.

06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Sorry this is a bit late, but let me add my welcome too, Scooby. Hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. We have lots of good times here.

Thanks for those great pictures. I agree with the others, the clarify in those pics is just awesome. That really must be a great camera.

sodascouts
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I thought I'd share photos of the memorabilia I picked up:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/TankTopFront-mid.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/TshirtBack-mid.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/CupBack-mid.jpg

Also, this logo was on the other side of the shirt and tank top:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/BigTroutlogo.jpg

And the setlist, which was taped to the stage:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/mbl2008/MBLSetlist.jpg
Bet you thought I just had a really good memory. ;)

Perfect Little Sister
06-23-2008, 07:09 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!

And you didn't call me and tell me!:fingerwag:

I'd have had you pick me up one.lol

I so wish I could have gone. I would have loved to have seen Otis rockin' out. :wink:

Freypower
06-23-2008, 07:16 PM
That might have made me reconsider not wearing tank tops.

I liked 'Desperado???'.

Glennsallnighter
06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
They're lovely Soda! I love the Tank Tops. I hope I get my order quickly!!

Makes me wonder something that I've been thinking over the last week. What about starting a page where we could show and share the different memorabilia we all have....?Just a thought.

Brooke
06-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Soda, I LOVE the tank top! Thanks for showing us! 8)

I'd love to order one, too, but I have this "thing". I only want souvenirs from places that I've actually been to. I can't tell you why, they just mean more to me that way. :wink:

Glennsallnighter
06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes Brooke, I understand. But at least in the States at least you guys have SOME hope of getting to a Glenn :heart: gig. Over here all we have are the souvenirs to wear and ..... comfort....us :wink: . So I adopt a 'get it if you can' philosophy!!

sodascouts
06-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Makes me wonder something that I've been thinking over the last week. What about starting a page where we could show and share the different memorabilia we all have....?Just a thought.

Feel free to start the topic!

I'd love to order one, too, but I have this "thing". I only want souvenirs from places that I've actually been to. I can't tell you why, they just mean more to me that way. :wink:

I'm the same way, but I understand where the overseas folks are coming from. The great thing about that tank top is that it is actually FLATTERING! Imagine that! I think that is a first for a tour shirt. lol

Perfect Little Sister
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
That might have made me reconsider not wearing tank tops.

I liked 'Desperado???'.

I agree FP. That struck me too.
And it's killing me not to have that tank top! :wink:

Brooke
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
It is a cool tank top. Best tour tank I've seen yet!

Freypower
06-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Soda, I LOVE the tank top! Thanks for showing us! 8)

I used to be that way too. But I've just ordered a couple of items from eaglesband.com, because I don't think I'll be seeing the band until the end of next year. I'm sure the merchandise for the Australian tour will be different.

Scooby
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks Soda for posting the tshirts, now I know what I ordered! I had forgot to ask what color the shirts were, but I'm good with black! :D I'm hoping to get it today....YEAH! :D

sodascouts
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
They had 'em in yellow too - I had to ask for the black. Hopefully you get something you like!

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Well after seeing the pics of the tank tops I called the Manhattan Beach Lodge again last night and they are also putting a tank top into each of my orders girls :D . They were too good to resist!

And they're on the way!

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Feel free to start the topic!

I will but I'm marking exams at the moment so to say my free time is limited is an understatement!!

AzEaglesFan
06-26-2008, 02:31 AM
I went on the EaglesBand.com to see what they had to offer. I have wanted a tour book after seeing some of the pictures you have posted. I'm confused(nothing new) about the two different things offered. I "think" one is just a poster (gold colored) and one is the actual tour book(red). Is $20 a good price for it ?? :?

Mrs Frey
06-26-2008, 06:05 AM
AEF, I paid 10 British Pounds Sterling for the tour book in London. How does that compare to $20 according to your exchange rate?

Mrs Frey
06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi everyone, some may know me as Sunny or Sandy on other boards. :) I was able to go to the show up in Crosslake, MN, what a GREAT time we had. 8) I didnt get a chance to meet Sodascouts but hopefully someday we'll meet up at one of the shows. I thought I would post my pictures although they look the same as most of the others, they are too far away. I love the close up ones that are posted espec of Glenn and his son Deacon. BTW, his son was VERY good!

Welcome to The Border, Scooby! :yay: :D I know I'm very late with this, but better late than never, I suppose. :wink: I hope you enjoy yourself here with us.

It's great that you were able to see Glenn :heart: in Minnesota. I wish I could have joined you and Soda!

Mrs Frey
06-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Scooby, thank you for sharing your lovely photos with us. :D

Soda, thanks for posting photos of the T-shirts and tank tops. They're really cool! 8)

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2008, 05:36 PM
AEF, I paid 10 British Pounds Sterling for the tour book in London. How does that compare to $20 according to your exchange rate?

At current rates £10 sterling would have been about €17.50, I'd say. And €17.50 would be about $26.25. So I'd say if rates stay the same that would be a good deal. Neil Diamond tour books were €20 recenty over here. That would be about $30. One concert goer suggested that the books would be able to sing at that price. :lol: I didn't buy one :blush:

Of course I'd pay the Earth for Eagles or Solo Glenn :heart: tour books!

Yes the Tour book was red alright. I must drop into Eaglesband.com soon!

sodascouts
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I went on the EaglesBand.com to see what they had to offer. I have wanted a tour book after seeing some of the pictures you have posted. I'm confused(nothing new) about the two different things offered. I "think" one is just a poster (gold colored) and one is the actual tour book(red). Is $20 a good price for it ?? :?

My tour book is kind of dark gold. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the red one. I think it's worth $20; it's got some very nice photos in it.

Freypower
06-26-2008, 06:52 PM
The gold thing has a guitar on it. It appears to be a poster as AZ said.

http://media.musictoday.com/store/bands/525/product_medium/E1AP04.jpg

I will not be buying a tour book until I see the band myself. I do have to have something to look forward to.

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes I agree FP. I was lucky in that I got one of the first tour books released as I attended the first gig. But I don't think I'd buy one before the gig if I'd any chance of going. Its part of the build up and the fun!!

DonFan
06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
They sold that gold poster with the guitar on it at the Atlanta shows, but I didn't buy it. (I have the Randy Tuten poster with the guys on it , and I like that much better.)
However, I did buy the tour book, which was dark red. Yes, a lot of the pictures are the same as the pictures in the LROOE CD, but there are a few new ones. What I really liked was the new fold-out in the middle of the tour book. It has several new color pictures of the guys on stage wearing their suits, plus a complete discography including all the Eagles' work plus the guys' solo work. Plus it has a number of black & white photos of drums, drum sticks, their guitars, and part of a set list that has hand-wirtten guitars beside many of the songs. It is hard to read the writing but I think How Long has "Buddy Guy Strat" beside it, and In the City has "Carvin Q."

Freypower
06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the information DF. So I really do have something to look forward to when I see them and buy the tour book.

And I have the Randy Tuten poster as well, complete with signature, and I love it more than any other piece of memorabilia I have, just about.

AzEaglesFan
06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Thank you so much for all the information. I knew I could count on you. I'm going to go ahead and order the tour book, it doesn't look like they are going to get this way anytime soon.

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2008, 04:48 AM
They sold that gold poster with the guitar on it at the Atlanta shows, but I didn't buy it. (I have the Randy Tuten poster with the guys on it , and I like that much better.)
However, I did buy the tour book, which was dark red. Yes, a lot of the pictures are the same as the pictures in the LROOE CD, but there are a few new ones. What I really liked was the new fold-out in the middle of the tour book. It has several new color pictures of the guys on stage wearing their suits, plus a complete discography including all the Eagles' work plus the guys' solo work. Plus it has a number of black & white photos of drums, drum sticks, their guitars, and part of a set list that has hand-wirtten guitars beside many of the songs. It is hard to read the writing but I think How Long has "Buddy Guy Strat" beside it, and In the City has "Carvin Q."

This newer version sounds even better than my London one! Hopefully the boys will be back this side of the pond in the new year and I'll be able to get my hands on one!

TimothyBFan
06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the information DF. So I really do have something to look forward to when I see them and buy the tour book.

I agree-something to look forward to--counting the months, weeks, days...I'm so giddy already I can't imagine what I will be like by September-my family will be ready to move out. Every time we have music going in the house, car etc, if an Eagles song comes on, I turn to anyone standing there and say "did you know I am going to go see them?" My family just rolls theirs eyes!

Mrs Frey
06-30-2008, 02:34 AM
LOL, TBF! :lol:

Don't worry, we know how you feel. Enjoy the feeling - it's wonderful escapism.

sodascouts
07-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Thomas Sullivan wrote more about his experience at Crosslake on the Storytellers Blog (http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/thomas-sullivan-cross-lake-glenn-frey-breathing-the-sky).

Freypower
07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Eat your heart out Bob Lefsetz!!! :D

All that 'holds the plug and keys the switch' stuff and the barriers coming down - I know exactly what Mr Sullivan means and I would like to thank him for his insight.

sodascouts
07-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, it was really interesting! And there's more coming, too. Hopefully he'll post it soon!

Mrs Frey
07-18-2008, 07:00 AM
WOW. What an incredible piece of writing and insight. And what high praise for Glenn :heart:. Thanks for posting this, Soda - it really warmed my heart. It's great to read that someone recognises Glenn's :heart: importance not only as an artist but as a member of the Eagles.

glenneaglesfan
07-19-2008, 04:33 AM
That is just fabulous. What a great piece of writing, and at last some deep respect for Glenn's talent.
Hell, Otis comes with his own universe. This made me laugh - what is it about this kid?

sodascouts
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Another chapter of Thomas Sullivan's story here (http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/thomas-sullivan-the-mystique-the-mistake-at-crosslake-or-glenn-frey-sully-on-creativity-part-2)

Freypower
09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Jeez ..... he nailed it.:stunned::applause::weep:

If I attempted to explain WHY he nailed it I would make a fool of myself. All I will say is that he got the 'leadership' part down very well.:hug:

sodascouts
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Look what's to be found in the newsletters archived on Sullivan's site - photos from Crosslake (not the highest quality, but still, it's cool. There's a nice one of Deacon on a couch).

June Newsletter (http://www.thomassullivanauthor.com/newsletters/06162008.htm)

July Newsletter (http://www.thomassullivanauthor.com/newsletters/07162008.htm)

The July newsletter also has more on his time with the Freys that was not included on the blogs:

Glenn Frey, founder of the Eagles, has a whole wing in the castle of my life. We sorta came together 20 years ago like a couple of mavericks -- he with elegance and class, me with...uh, say, did I ever tell you about my chinchilla socks? Anyway, Glenn’s invitation to spend three days chilling out in Crosslake near where he was performing at Manhattan Beach Lodge was made even more special by the fact that his wife Cindy, two sons, and father-in-law were there. Deacon (15) and Otis Lincoln Douglas (6) are a couple of scene-stealers on any given night. Last month I said I’d write a column about the whole happening, but the many insights a writer of books can get looking over the shoulder of a legendary success in a neighboring art form have given me reason to turn it into a series. The first part is just now up on StorytellersUnplugged.com: http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/thomas-sullivan-cross-lake-glenn-frey-breathing-the-sky (http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/thomas-sullivan-cross-lake-glenn-frey-breathing-the-sky)

With all the fish Deacon and Otis took out of Island Lake you might think the pre-concert meal was a fish Frey, but that was strictly catch-and-release and so we had an exquisite BBQ just before the big event. That languid hour or two leading up to the night’s excitement was what I’ll remember most. Terrific friends in a terrific setting, watching the lakes -- Island Lake, Lower Whitefish Lake, Loon Lake -- sparkle through a window wall of the house. We decided that Cross Lake’s irregular shape is the new Rorschach inkblot test. I got a cat vomiting a mouse out of it or a gnome yanking a carpet out from under a fat dragon in heat. In retrospect, Cross Lake was all about contrasts. Dynamic energy, slow raptures. All of it meaningful. Glenn leaves nothing to chance on concert day, but he was styled the King of Cool early in his career and that’s never changed. In fact, director Cameron Crowe has said that the movie Almost Famous is loosely about Glenn, which is why he was a consultant on “coolness” for it. Deacon seems to be in line for that crown. Couldn’t help but admire the young man’s concentration as he was about to make his vocal debut in front of a few thousand people. And Otis…yeesh. The kid is pure spontaneity. Other than a sound-check gig on the tambourine a few hours earlier, he had zero prep. I’m like Peter Pan whenever I’m around kids, and I put Cindy on notice that I was going to kidnap Otis and take him home with me. Maybe the fact that the next day was Father’s Day had something to do with it.

Much more over in the column, but I’m running long here. Apologies for the blurriness of the photo below taken on-stage of Glenn & Deacon. Besides the fact that I didn’t hold the cell phone camera steady, the stage was vibrating like you wouldn’t believe. There are some additional pictures from Crosslake in last month’s newsletter on my website.

glenneaglesfan
09-20-2008, 04:12 AM
These excerpts are wonderful. Thanks for finding them, Soda, and to Thomas for his intimate insights into Frey family life, and his summing up of all that we admire in The Man himself.

glenneaglesfan
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
NEW PHOTOS!!! Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. While our boys have been away travelling, we have had to sign up to Facebook to see their pics. In an idle moment I did a search on the Eagles and found a new set of photos from Glenn's Crosslake show last year! These are tasters. I'll post a link, but you may have to log in to see them all.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/n13903284_46237454_8200.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/n13903284_46237458_9321.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/n13903284_46237465_1344.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/n13903284_46237479_6050.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2500231&id=13903284&page=2#/album.php?aid=2500231&id=13903284

Freypower
05-19-2009, 07:49 PM
That one of Desperado is fantastic!!!!

I don't have a Facebook account. Please, GA, please can you post the others?

*Edit: or anyone else who has Facebook? Not even to see these photos can I be persuaded to sign up to it. It holds no attraction for me at all because who on earth would want to read about my life?

melrose
05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Here ya' go, FP

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/4.jpg

melrose
05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/5.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/6.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/7.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/8.jpg

melrose
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/9.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/10.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/12.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/11.jpg

melrose
05-19-2009, 08:39 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/13.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/14.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/15.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/16.jpg

melrose
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
And here are the last three. Sorry if I had any repeats through there.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/17.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/18.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/glenn1.jpg

Freypower
05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
THANK YOU MELROSE!!!

Is it just me or is he OK to look at?:love: :shy::drool: :stunned:

I will honestly take what I can get at the moment.

Edit: Er.... I think Deacon may have inherited some of the family charisma, from what I can see. This is just to let you know that I did see that Deacon was in some of them as well...

GlennLover
05-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you soooo much, melrose!! Those are fantastic. I especially like the ones of Glenn & Deacon. I certainly don't mind seeing repeats of Glenn, although I don't think you did repeat any.

05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks from me too, GA and melrose. These are wonderful. I think Deacon is definitely learning the family business. I love Glenn's expressions, especially in these two:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/n13903284_46237479_6050.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/Other/glenn/3.jpg

Koala
05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Thank´s so much, melrose and GA! :grouphug:
The pics are fantastic!

Glennsallnighter
05-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Uh, I hate to take credit for something I didn't do! :blush:. It was actually GEF who posted these along with Melrose...not me!!

But

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a way to start my day. These photos are just SUPERB GEF and Melrose. Glenn:heart:'s pink look is one of my favourites and to see him so close up and clear is an excellent compensation for not having attended the actual gig.

HOW HS&G is that man. And he seems to get better with age......
Deacon is a cutie too!

I must confess when I saw this thread had been ressurected my heart skipped a beat as I thought he might have announced another gig there this summer. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Oh and FP, I'd love to see you on facebook!!

Koala
05-20-2009, 07:43 AM
:blush:
uh, So then once more properly, thanks melrose and GEF!

sodascouts
05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Thank you so much! Ah, memories. :)

05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Uh, I hate to take credit for something I didn't do! :blush:. It was actually GEF who posted these along with Melrose...not me!!

Well - that was my mistake. My apologies to Kate, but I get so easily confused when I see such HS&G pictures.

And Soda, I know you are glad you got to that show, even if you had a few problems along the way. Wish I could have been there with you - it would have been soooo worth a few problems. :wink:

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2009, 04:58 AM
I would love to have been there too. I sincerely hope that when Glenn :heart: does announce some solo dates in the future that I will be able to go to see him.

05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
GA - I hope you and all other Frey fans will all some day get the opportunity to see Glenn solo. I am very grateful for the opportunities I have had. However, I still plan to go to see Glenn any time he performs publicly if at all possible.

glenneaglesfan
05-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I would give anything to see Glenn in a solo concert, but it's not very likely for me, so I'll just enjoy the photos and reports that you lucky ones can give!

Freypower
05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Same here.