PDA

View Full Version : Joe - Insidious Troublemaker?

sodascouts
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I was surprised to come across a quote by Don Henley from the 80s where he called Joe an "insidious troublemaker" who tried to divide the band. I never pictured Joe like that - I always thought he was the funny guy who got along with everyone. Guess I was wrong!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/glennbanner.jpg

Freypower
01-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I think it's fair to say that the current 'alignment' is Don/Tim and Glenn/Joe. The Glenn/Don thing is above that.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Ive always been a dreamer
01-26-2006, 01:59 AM
I think there was a point near the time of their breakup in the late 70's that everyone was fighting with everyone. I'd have to research the details and check my facts, but I seem to remember at one point when the band was working on The Long Run album in Miami, Glenn was MIA. He stayed in LA and was Fed Exing tapes back and forth. I think at that time, Joe and Felder were even suggesting that the band continue without Glenn. It was actually Don who would have no part of that, even though he and Glenn weren't getting along either. I guess it must have been pretty ugly back then, which explains why Glenn said in the early 80's that the band would never get back together and "you can print that." Don must have felt pretty much the same way since he proclaimed they would get back together when "hell freezes over." I'm sure that's what they believed at the time. At least, they agreed on something. Thank goodness they were both soooo wrong. ;)

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Z
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't believe there is a conscience alignment among the guys. Human nature draws together people who share similar experiences, attitudes and backgrounds. I can see where Don and Timothy being close as they tend to be more serious than Glenn and Joe, IMO. Even at the beginning of HFO, Timmy talks about keeping closer contact with Don than with any of the other guys.

-------------

We can let them say what they want to
They can talk themselves into shades of blue

sodascouts
01-26-2006, 03:48 PM
That makes sense, Z. And dreamer, I've heard that story about the other three talking about forming a trio without Don and Glenn because they were tired of being pushed around. When push came to shove, though, they decided that would not be a profitable move!

~

DonFan
01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Don got mad at Joe for singing Desperado and botching the lyrics pretty badly--maybe he made that "insidious troublemaker" comment about that same time.

Freypower
01-26-2006, 10:32 PM
They were working on the live album without Glenn. He had left the band although he hadn't officially told them. He FedEx'd his parts to them in Florida.

As for Don & Tim being more 'serious' than Glenn & Joe - Glenn puts on a front sometimes. There is no-one more serious about the band and about what he does.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Z
01-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Julie, I don't mean serious about the band and his responsibilities. I mean serious in general -- personality wise. IMO, Glenn always reminded me of a little boy who likes to play practical jokes (and get away with them). I just don't picture Timothy and Don like that. Hey what do I know; it's all speculation.

-------------

We can let them say what they want to
They can talk themselves into shades of blue

sodascouts
01-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Without being reductive and painting the guys as one-dimensional, it does seem that Glenn and Joe both love to make jokes and kid around, while Don and Tim are more subdued.

~

01-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Yeah - I agree that Tim and Don appear to have more introverted personalities, whereas, Glenn and Joe seem to be more extroverts.

~~~~~~

sodascouts
01-29-2006, 11:31 PM
I found this quote from 1992 interesting. It seems something about what the guys were doing around that time really bothered Glenn:

"There is not going to be an Eagles reunion. [...] I looked into it but it just wasn't going to be any fun. I don't want to get into personalities, but they're not fun guys. With the exemption of Timothy Schmit, who's a sweetheart, the rest of them, I just don't think they're fun guys." (Rocky Mountain News 1992)

Obviously all of this changed after the Travis Tritt video, but I wonder what he saw when he was "looking into it" that made him decide to call off the initial 1991 reunion?

~

01-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Soda - this is just pure speculation, but it was probably a combination of things - it was all around the time he had married in 1990, became a father, and was releasing Strange Weather. It was probably a peaceful, happy period in his life, and he just didn't see the need to jump back into the "Eagles pressure cooker." He was probably not very optimistic about whether the guys could "bury the hatchet" as they say. I'm not sure if Joe had really gotten himself straightened out at this time or not, but I don't think he had. So, Glenn may have been thinking to himself I really don't need this.

~~~~~~

sodascouts
01-30-2006, 12:21 AM
I agree, dreamer, and I've seen other interviews where he talks about how his "life focus had changed." But that comment about "personalities" made me go "hmmm." If Joe weren't off of the bottle yet, it makes sense that he might not want to go back to that environment. HFO was strictly sober - perhaps for that reason.

~