PDA

View Full Version : Flood Watch 2008

Brooke
06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Thoughts and prayers are going out for all involved in the flooding along the Mississippi Valley. From Minnesota clear to St.Louis, Missouri, they are expecting historic river crests.

We are not in any danger, but my husband's travel to work will be greatly affected if a levee breaks near Hannibal. This is very minor compared to what people have experienced in Iowa and anywhere along the flood plain.

Thousands of acres of farm land was flooded overnight when a levee broke about 15 miles north of us.

Soda experienced it in her travel to Minnesota last week. This will affect all of us in food and gas prices.

sodascouts
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
My thoughts and prayers definitely go out to those people. What was simply a minor inconvenience to me is devastating to many others.

DonFan
06-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I talked to one of my Eagles pals in Oklahoma City today, and her area is experiencing torrential downpours and potential flooding too. Makes me feel bad that we are enjoying clear, sunny, hot days here in the deep South!

My prayers go out to everyone in the flooded areas, and I hope better weather is soon on the way.

Mrs Frey
06-18-2008, 02:43 AM
I'm so sorry to read about the flooding and the awful effects it's having on so many people. I wish them strength and courage during these trying times.

Glennsallnighter
06-18-2008, 03:34 AM
I too am very sorry to read about this. We don't tend to suffer extremes of weather over here, flooding is usually quite minor in the scheme of things. I hope everyone affected gets through these trying times with minimal upheavel, and that prices for staples such as food and gas don't go unnecessarily high. People everywhere have enough financial committments as it is.

rcknalwys
06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
My thoughts and prayers for all those affected also.

glenneaglesfan
06-19-2008, 06:37 AM
I saw some of the damage on the news last night. It seems this extreme weather is going to become more common. We had terrible floods last summer in Yorkshire and the Midlands, yet houses are still being built on floodplains. My thoughts are with all the people affected.

TimothyBFan
06-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Also continuing to think of everyone affected. We have been keeping in close contact with several family members in Quincy Illinois (across the river from Hannibal Missouri) and they are fairing pretty well so far. It's alot worst in other areas right now.

TimothyBFan
06-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Watching the Today Show right now and they are talking to the mayor of Quincy right now and they are hoping that they don't lose the bridges like they did in 1993's big flood and that the levees hold. It looks a mess!!!
Brooke, I hope your husband in very careful getting back and forth to work!

Brooke
06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I caught that, too.

Harry Smith was in East Hannibal this morning and Al Roker was actually walking across the old Quincy bridge as water was running across the lower end of it. Thank goodness the newer bridge is still safe.

Everyone's keeping their fingers crossed that those levees hold. Today and tomorrow are critical.

Brooke
06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Here's a picture taken yesterday of the western part of the Quincy Memorial Bridge which takes us from Missouri to Illinois. The water has gone down a bit since yesterday, because this is the one that Al Roker was walking through water on this morning. It's so low that it floods during exceptionally high water and has to be closed. I drove across it Saturday. They are saying now that the crest may have already occurred.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Outdoors/memorial-bridge2008.jpg

Thankfully, the new bridge is higher and was changed to take traffic both ways when this one closed. There are lots of businesses along the highway on the Missouri side and most have moved out in case the levee breaks as they would be flooded.

glenneaglesfan
06-20-2008, 04:12 AM
That's a scary sight, Brooke. I hope they are right and that the worst is over.

Glennsallnighter
06-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Scary indeed! I hope everyone remains safe and that those critical days pass without incident. :pray:

Mrs Frey
07-08-2008, 06:50 AM
We've had some flooding in Cape Town over the last week. Due to some of the worst winter weather we've had in years, i.e. continuous heavy rain since last Thursday, 16,000 people have been displaced from their flooded homes. Most of these people are living in already dire circumstances in the poorer parts of town, for example in shacks.

I feel sorry and also angry when I read these reports. The government promises year in and year out to help to eradicate poverty, and yet the same people are affected year in and year out when the winter weather is severe.

So much money is wasted in this country. Much is being made of Mr Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday, which is all well and good, but how much money is being spent on birthday celebrations that can be put to better use? Perhaps, if he had been president for a longer term, some of the poverty would have been eradicated by now.

Rant over.

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Here's a picture taken yesterday of the western part of the Quincy Memorial Bridge which takes us from Missouri to Illinois. The water has gone down a bit since yesterday, because this is the one that Al Roker was walking through water on this morning. It's so low that it floods during exceptionally high water and has to be closed. I drove across it Saturday. They are saying now that the crest may have already occurred.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Outdoors/memorial-bridge2008.jpg

Thankfully, the new bridge is higher and was changed to take traffic both ways when this one closed. There are lots of businesses along the highway on the Missouri side and most have moved out in case the levee breaks as they would be flooded.

Omg, that's scary! :shock:

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 07:45 AM
We've had some flooding in Cape Town over the last week. Due to some of the worst winter weather we've had in years, i.e. continuous heavy rain since last Thursday, 16,000 people have been displaced from their flooded homes. Most of these people are living in already dire circumstances in the poorer parts of town, for example in shacks.

WOW.. :shock:

I feel sorry and also angry when I read these reports. The government promises year in and year out to help to eradicate poverty, and yet the same people are affected year in and year out when the winter weather is severe.
Me too, they are saying anything but they do nothing.

Brooke
07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
It looks like our area has survived the flooding. There were some tense moments, but our 2 area levees held. Lots of cleanup going on now and the mighty Mississippi is going down every day. :D

sodascouts
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
MF - so sorry to hear about the floods. What a disaster!

Brooke, I'm glad the levees held at least.

glenneaglesfan
07-10-2008, 06:39 AM
MF, I'm sad to hear about the terrible flooding in Capetown. I never thought of it as a rainy place. Those poor people.

Brooke, I'm glad to hear that your area survived.

We've had dreadful weather for the last week - 2 inches of rain yesterday - and this is summer. Several rivers are on floodwatch.

Mrs Henley
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Brooke, I'm happy that your area survived!!

It was lovely weather this week..only it's rainin' now (gosh..I hate the Netherlands), and that's very usual for this little tiny cold and wet country..but still..it's everything exept fun :(