PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia, PA 7-14-08

carol7lynn
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello All :D

Last night the Eagles kicked off the 2nd leg of their American LROOE tour and literally blew the roof off the Wachovia Center. Philly fans were ramped and ready for anything but everything is what they got. During 'Life's Been Good To Me' the woman in front of me (I was in the second row directly across from Joe.) flashed him and he caught it on his web-cam-now that's what I'm talking about! I'm too old to do that but God Bless America. The boys of summer got a big testosterone kick out of it and just to seal the deal she did it again as they said their good-byes. That's a show they won't forget for awhile. But, the Eagles gave as much as they got. Last night's Philly show was the best show that I have seen since the 2nd Nokia show when even the L.A. Times admitted the Eagles rocked the house.

Timmy got to do 3 numbers tonight unlike Newark doing my favorite ICTYW-Well I can-he's too cute for that suit! OhhhBaby! WhooHoo! Nothing new to add about the set list but their playing was superb, spontaneous, spectacular and sooooo hot! Joe was smokin' hot and shredded guitar chords faster than a hot knife through butter. Angles cried Amen, I kid you not!

Got to hit the road for Atlantic City but wanted to get my review in first. More to come-gotta run.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

DonFan
07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the review, C7L! Too funny about the flasher--I bet that did make the guys laugh!
Glad you had a great time--can't wait to read more!

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Great review C7L!!! Thankss :D

DonFan
07-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Here is a review of last night's concert.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080715_Review__The_Eagles_at_Wachovia_Center.htm l

The writer seemed predisposed not to like the concert, and it shows in the review. The pot shots at their age, especially that crack about "seeing my orthopedist in the crowd--wonder if he was there to make a house call" are particularly harsh. What does their age have to do with their ability to play fantastic music? Give me a damn break.

DonFan
07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Review number two. This one is a bit more balanced:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/NEWS01/80715001/1006

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080715_Review__The_Eagles_at_Wachovia_Center.htm l

The writer seemed predisposed not to like the concert, and it shows in the review. The pot shots at their age, especially that crack about "seeing my orthopedist in the crowd--wonder if he was there to make a house call" are particularly harsh. What does their age have to do with their ability to play fantastic music? Give me a damn break.

What a b*lshit! Indeed, what does it matter what age they have..

Brooke
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Great review, C7L! Thanks! That is hilarious about the flasher! Can you believe that?! Some people must be quite proud of themselves!

I will be back to read the other reviews.

rcknalwys
07-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for you review Carol7lynn. As for the other two, fuggedaboutit. To quote Rick Nelson, "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself" and obviously the guys are pleased with their performances. And obviously so are their fans cause they keep selling tickets. I personally can't wait to attend a concert, and I don't care if they sound too perfect, they are "the f***ing Eagles man!"

EasyFeeling
07-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh, seems I've missed a lot :( Are the Eagles touring in the USA currently?

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Yes they are.
And he, you can always read and asked a lot!! :)

EasyFeeling
07-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Yes they are.

Yes, I know, thanks :wink: I've just read about the dates in another thread. I could read all the reviews but it's just too much to catch up.

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Yes they are.

Yes, I know, thanks :wink: I've just read about the dates in another thread. I could read all the reviews but it's just too much to catch up.

Ok :)
Yes that's true, but we will tell you the important things what happend here :D

EasyFeeling
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Ok, let's start, I'm ready :twisted: Nah :D but you could tell me which shows were the best and what I should definitely read. :wink:

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
The best show ever: April 3rd in Rotterdam, NL! Anyway that was my best show! :heart: :inlove:

Uh, let me think what is the best you should read..I will come back to that!

carol7lynn
07-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Read the first review. What a hoot! :shock: It seemed to me that the reviewer was more concerned with impressing his readership with 'big' words than anything else. Turgid, indeed! :wink: The only thing bloated is this guys ego. He actually thinks that he can write. HaHa :P l And where is Walt-Mart? Is it in Walt Disney World. :? Try using a spell-checker if you want anyone with an IQ over 70 to take you seriously moron. One also wonders what he needs an orthoped for when it's quite evident that he needs an audiologist because the guy obviously has a tin ear to go along with his numb-skull!

Got to A.C. and my luck continues to hold out. They upgraded me and named me guest of the day and presented me with a special gift basket at check-in. With this kind of luck I just might try my luck at the table tonight-if not the slots-and if I win I'm buying out the Borgata Thursday and flying all you Borderites to A.C. WhooHoo!]

Stay Tuned!
Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

Brooke
07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey C7L, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you to win BIG! :lol:

Brooke
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Review number two. This one is a bit more balanced:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/NEWS01/80715001/1006

"But...

In the 36-year-old act’s desire to be as faithful as possible to the songs, it ignored a guiding principal of the concert experience: In a live setting, the material should have a little something extra to differentiate it from its studio-harvested template.

So many tunes were so clone-like that at times, it sounded like it was an Eagles tribute band on the surprisingly simple stage."

And who made that rule? Well, the guys should be happy. This is always what they strived for in concerts; to sound as near to the album as possible!

Thanks DF!

Glennsallnighter
07-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Well I agree! Age has nothing to do with it. No one suggests that a Doctor, a Dentist or a CEO is past it at age 60, so why apply it to musicians! IMHO they sound as good today as they ever did!

Freypower
07-15-2008, 06:42 PM
How I would love to tell these reviewers that their 'turgid' rants are every bit as 'cloned' and 'predictable' and say the same thing over and over again as they accuse the Eagles of doing. So the Inquirer guy doesn't like the LROOE album. We got the point. As for 'sticking to the script' EVERY band does this, not just the Eagles. It is called giving the fans what they want. I would like to see setlist changes and less reliance on solo songs too, but it isn't going to happen.

Another thing: they always go on as if Joe's songs are the high points which get the crowd going. This is a distortion of fact. Joes's songs are easy to review, that's all. Songs like WITW and Lyin' Eyes require some analysis to explain why they work.

carol7lynn
07-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Review # 2:

"But...

In the 36-year-old act’s desire to be as faithful as possible to the songs, it ignored a guiding principal of the concert experience: In a live setting, the material should have a little something extra to differentiate it from its studio-harvested template.

In all, a most satisfying, if not epochal, event. "

Okay. On the one hand the concert was predictable, if not mundane, and on the other hand epochal (i.e., having no parallel; especially : having no equal or match : unique in kind or quality); Again this reviewer, like the other, seemed more concerned with impressing readers with his/her vocab than writing a musical critique of the concert.

Flash and trash if you ask me. Dassle them with b.s. and maybe people will not realize that you haven't said, to quote Henley, "a gawd-dam thing" or more importantly, to paraphrase Alice's query to the March Hare, "Do you say what you mean, or do you mean what you say?" Pah-Leeze! Oh, Geeze! Give me a G.D. break.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

TimothyBFan
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Carol-thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed it so much!

DF-thanks for posting those reviews-that first one made me laugh. He simply doesn't have a clue! They really should send people who know something about music to these concerts. The one good thing about that review is the picture that went along with it---YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Carol-Lynn, thanks so much for your reviews! :D I've been busy this week and haven't had a chance to read them until now.

DF, I still need to get to reading the official newspaper reviews you posted, but judging from your and the others' responses to it, it seems I didn't miss much! :evil: I had fun reading your responses, though! :lol:

glenneaglesfan
07-17-2008, 06:13 AM
C7L, thanks for your review, and so glad that you had a good time and the guys were so on form. They must still have it if that girl flashed them!

DF, thanks for the links to those reviews. I believe most of us here could write better reviews than those!

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Ugh. What a horrible review. :evil: I enjoyed your "give me a damn break" retort! :lol: :twisted: And I couldn't agree more. I wonder how old the reviewer is, and if he'll look as good as the Eagles when he reaches 60. Hmph.

As far as his opinion about the boys "replicating" their music from disc onto the stage, it just so happens that I was talking to an Australian tourist last night, who admired that very ability that the Eagles have, and we both agreed that there are very few musicians who are capable of doing that.

Regarding his opinion of LROOE... well... 6 million plus listeners disagree with him. Enough said. I for one was beside myself listening to the album's songs being played at the concert, and would have been disappointed if they hadn't. As for Don Henley's chance to exercise his social conscience (excuse me if I've misquoted slightly) in the title track, I challenge the writer to come up with a piece of songwriting as exceptional as that. Or even a piece of normal prose, for that matter. :roll:

The fact that he's trashing some of the most brilliant pieces of music on the album shows exactly how much he knows about music.

carol7lynn
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Mrs. Frey. et al

The fact is most critics have never written a song in their entire lives, never performed in public, and seldom know how to play a instrument; that is if you don't count tooting their own horn! :P They too often confuse criticism with witticism :roll: (my word-don't try and find it in the dictionary I doubt that it's there) and usually come off sounding mean instead of keen!

Know what I'm sayin'.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

TimothyBFan
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Mrs. Frey. et al

The fact is most critics have never written a song in their entire lives, never performed in public, and seldom know how to play a instrument; that is if you don't count tooting their own horn! :P They too often confuse criticism with witticism :roll: (my word-don't try and find it in the dictionary I doubt that it's there) and usually come off sounding mean instead of keen!

Know what I'm sayin'.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

PREACH ON SISTER!!!! You are right on the money!!!!!

Mrs Frey
07-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Mrs. Frey. et al

Know what I'm sayin'.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

Oh, I know what you're sayin', all right, Carol-Lynn! :nod: I reckon we're on the same wavelength.

siny
07-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow, I can't believe the critic did not like the LROOE song ! I love it ! And it works so well with the video ! Maybe he is just not into Henley's political message, that's all.

And about the oldsters in the crowd, at least at the MSG, there were a lot of young people. I brought my 22-yr-old daughter and 17-yr-old son and they both loved it. Well, my daughter has been a fan for a while and knew most of their old hits, but all my son heard before was Hotel California and Boys of Summer. And he is into indie music and hates "mainstream" :roll: And he still loved them. And one of his friends is a big fan too. So, it's not just baby boomers who are fans.

Geez.....critics :roll:

DonFan
07-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the Border, Siny! Glad you and your family enjoyed the concert. I took my 19-yr-old daughter to the show at Myrtle Beach and she loved it, too.
I agree--critics! :roll:

Ive always been a dreamer
07-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Welcome from me as well, siny. Hope you like it here on The Border. I also agree with what everyone has said here. Unfortunately, many critics are so busy trying to impress us with there extraordinary literary skills that they totally lose sight of what fans go to concerts for. :shock: I also took my 11 year old niece to Myrtle Beach, and she is still talking about it. My 16 and 18 years old nieces are big Eagles fans too.

siny
07-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome :D .

It's really nice to have something to share with your kids. I brought them to the Bon Jovi concert in Central Park and all they did is make fun of him :roll: So, I am glad that we can at least agree on the Eagles music.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow, I can't believe the critic did not like the LROOE song ! I love it ! And it works so well with the video ! Maybe he is just not into Henley's political message, that's all.

And about the oldsters in the crowd, at least at the MSG, there were a lot of young people. I brought my 22-yr-old daughter and 17-yr-old son and they both loved it. Well, my daughter has been a fan for a while and knew most of their old hits, but all my son heard before was Hotel California and Boys of Summer. And he is into indie music and hates "mainstream" :roll: And he still loved them. And one of his friends is a big fan too. So, it's not just baby boomers who are fans.

Geez.....critics :roll:

I brougt my 7 year old daughter to London and she knew most of the words to most of the songs. She enjoyed every minute of it and keeps at me to bring her to another. The Eagles appeal to every age IMHO

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome :D .

It's really nice to have something to share with your kids. I brought them to the Bon Jovi concert in Central Park and all they did is make fun of him :roll: So, I am glad that we can at least agree on the Eagles music.

Welcome from me too Siny! :D

siny
07-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Thank you, Glennsallnighter.

I love your little poem :D

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Thank you, Glennsallnighter.

I love your little poem :D

Why Thank you too Siny! :hug:
Its true :wink:

Mrs Frey
07-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Welcome to The Border, Siny! :yay: :D It's great to have you with us, and I hope you enjoy sharing your thoughts with us.

And I agree with you - critics don't seem to know very much about anything! :roll:

siny
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Mrs. Frey, thank you.
I like your poem too :D
I'll see if I can also write something :D

Critics :roll: They always seem to criticize the movies and the music that I like and vice versa.

carol7lynn
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry to report that when I finally got around to eating that much desired Philly Cheese steak it was at the Philadelphia Airport on my way home Sunday night and it was horrible. I figured even an airport cheese steak in Philadelphia would be better than anything I could get out here in Los Angeles. Wrong. I have now changed my opinion of the Great Steak sandwich-it's not that bad after all.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

Brooke
07-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Glad you made it back safely, C7L! Sorry you didn't get your original Philly Cheesesteak, but maybe next time? Hopefully your concerts made up for it! :D

carol7lynn
07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, Brooke I am now back in SoCal doing all the non-Eagle things that I put on hold to soar with the boys in the band. You know mowing the lawn, picking up dog pooh and taking out the trash! Alas, I have fallen back to earth with a mighty thud! Back to reality. But it was fun while it lasted.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

TimothyBFan
07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, Brooke I am now back in SoCal doing all the non-Eagle things that I put on hold to soar with the boys in the band. You know mowing the lawn, picking up dog pooh and taking out the trash! Alas, I have fallen back to earth with a mighty thud! Back to reality. But it was fun while it lasted.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

DA*N --REALITY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sigh:

carol7lynn
07-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Amen to that one sister. :wink:

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

DonFan
09-08-2008, 11:08 PM
http://jessicawestrom.blogspot.com/

This is the blog of an Eagles fan named Jessica who apparently went to this concert on July 14. It is definitely worth reading for her comments about the VIP experience.

Ummmm, she also feels exactly the same way I do about Don. :cool:

glenneaglesfan
09-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Great read, DF, even if I was a little envious! What a surprise to hear that Deacon was helping at the ILAA reception.

TimothyBFan
09-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks DF--enjoyed reading about her experience!!

Brooke
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks, DF! That was very cool!

I can only hope and pray that Somebody's kid is in St. Louis with them! :pray:

Probably not since school is now in session though.

DonFan
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes, I was a little envious about her experience too. I have shelled out for 4-Star VIPs twice and I was close, but never closer than 6th row. I have never been on the front row with Don singing directly in front of me. We do the best we can, but with the state of our economy & our finances, I doubt I ever will.