PDA

View Full Version : Interview Rolling Stone 1979

Mrs Henley
07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
OMG there are a lot of funny pieces in it!
I have to share it!

Hell is for Heroes (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/articles/rollingstone79.htm)
The Eagles' Slow Burn in the Rock & Roll Inferno
CHARLES M. YOUNG

I never knew Don could be a rebel and blow up a big, black laundry cauldron with a cherry bomb..
Gosh Don how could you?

rcknalwys
07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
and one tune by their new bassist, Timothy B. Schmit, from his days with Poco ("Keep on Tryin'").

I think that answers a question from another thread about Timothy playing KOT during a concert.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, that is cool. Even though I've read this article several times before, I never pick up on that Becky. I had no idea that the Eagles had ever performed any of Randy or Tim's Poco songs. Still learning after all these years - imagine that! :wink: :D

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Haha indeed!
I always knew that the Eagles played some of Don/Glenn and Joe's songs but never of Tim!

tbs fanatic
07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
That was great. I've never read that before, thanks.

TimothyBFan
07-07-2008, 12:58 PM
"Nicknamed "Prince Roving Hand" for his habit of goosing the other Eagles, Joe Walsh..."

:shock: can you imagine that? :hilarious:

sodascouts
07-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Steve Miller, the opening act, takes the stage to a big ovation from the Milwaukee teenagers. Azoff, behind a stack of speakers, gives them the finger. "Look at that guy," he spits, indicating Miller's short hair and conservative dress. "He even looks like an accountant."

Gee, imagine that! Rock stars dressing like accountants! Definitely worthy of scorn. ;)

Henley was engaged to his high-school sweetheart, by all accounts the prettiest girl in town. "It was very serious — he'd even bought her a ring," says Bowden. "It finally came down to a choice between marrying her and pursuing rock & roll. She gave him an ultimatum. He felt he had to leave. I can apply a lot of his lyrics to that situation."

By 1970, the band was calling it self Shiloh and had made a foray to Los Angeles to record a single, "Jennifer," for now-defunct Amos Records. Back in Linden, they got together one afternoon at a little church they had rented as a rehearsal hall. Things got loose and the musicians started riding trail bikes around the parking lot. The day was clear, and you could see down the road for miles in either direction. A small blond boy named Jerry Dale Surratt, a champion trumpet player who'd given it up for rock & roll, rode his motorcycle across the road, straight into the path of an oncoming car. With his family and band watching, he was crushed to death on its hood. Shiloh was never the same.I had forgotten a lot of these details (as evinced in another thread). It's always interesting to go back and read an older article, refreshing what you'd forgotten and noticing things you'd missed.

"Throwing up is my least-favorite thing in the world," moans Frey.

"I wish I could throw up," groans Azoff.

"Well, why don't you have Charlie here play you one of his punk-rock cassettes?" suggests Frey, near death but unerring in his instinct for endearing himself to New York rock critics.LOL!

[Henley states]"I'm pissed about my junior-high football coach, that sadistic son of a bitch. I like football but hate the way the macho mentality is shoved down children's throats in Texas." Well, this explains one of the lamest parts of "Frail Grasp."

[Henley says] "You remember the line, "Her mind is Tiffany twisted, she got the Mercedes bends" in "Hotel California"? I got a letter from a woman telling me I spelled the name of the car wrong. I can't stand it that somebody out there thinks I can't spell."Yeah, he wouldn't want want any of ya'll to think that, now. ;) But I do respect that the band recognized that Tim's song is "I Don't Want to Hear Any More" with "any more" as two words. Making "any more" in that circumstance into "anymore" is a pet peeve of mine - it appears Don would agree. English-language lovers of the world unite! lol

"You know we're going to pay for everything," grins Tommy "Life Is One Fuckin' Thing after Another" Nixon, who first got to know Henley on the Texas frat circuit. Funny that Tommy Nixon wound up with Glenn.

[Timothy Schmit says]"I could become independently wealthy soon. The Eagles could have offered me a salary and kept me out of the corporation, but that's not the way they wanted to do it. Nobody in the Eagles is any bigger or smaller financially, excluding the publishing, because that varies according to who wrote the song. On everything else, I was offered one-fifth of the pie. It's an incredibly smooth-operating band now, the closest to a band I've ever worked with. We have a good time without any major arguments."Interesting. Nobody ever talks about that, including Felder. Tim - and Joe it appears - once got an equal share, too.

[Azoff says]"There's a lot of outright fraud in the music business — ticket scalping for example. If you have a $200,000 gross at the L.A. Forum, I would guess that about $400,000 changes hands. At the Eagles' next date there, we are considering selling the thousand best seats direct to the scalpers for twenty dollars apiece and giving the extra $9.50 a seat to charity. I've tried everything else to beat them."Also interesting. Do you think charity still gets the sum total of the extra money made off of their legalized scalping?

"[Regarding 'You Never Cry Like a Lover', Henley says...] "I thought it was sympathetic — at the end there where it says somebody must have put some pain on her because she can't cry."

"But it's so bitter about her not being able to respond."

"It's about repressed emotions."

"It's about frigidity."

"I never thought of it as being about frigidity," Henley insists. "Crying is not sexual."

"Where you sing that she can't 'sigh-ay-yay when it feels real good' — that's not about sex?"

"Oh yeah, that part," says Henley. "She just didn't want to do it with the lights on."Don contradicts himself and I think proves Young's point. I know I've always had the same interpretation of that song. As a result, I can't enjoy it. It's so sexist.

[Walsh] is running for president these days on a platform of "Free Gas for Everybody" I VOTE FOR JOE! lol

Frey washes down a handful of vitamins with a gulp of Coca-Cola, "I hate this song! I hate this album! god help me! I'm bumming!"This is how I felt about my dissertation the last week before I turned it in, only replace "song" with "introduction/conclusion" etc. and "album" with "dissertation." lol I didn't feel good about it until after the defense when I got validation from other people. I wonder when Glenn started to feel good about The Long Run? (Assuming he does, but I think I've heard him say so somewhere.)

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Everyone will vote for Joe now!! LOL

Freypower
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Regarding Tim's comment that he was given an equal share, I have never read that anywhere else. It has never, ever, been mentioned since that either he or Joe were made partners. Only Felder was, so I really am bemused by this comment. The 'equal share' stuff must be a separate issue to the 'partnership' business.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
[Walsh] is running for president these days on a platform of "Free Gas for Everybody"

I VOTE FOR JOE! lol

:D :D :D
Definitely - Joe Walsh for President!!!!

FP - a far as Tim and Joe getting an equal share of the income, that could definitely happen without making them a partner as Felder was.