PDA

View Full Version : Let us talk favorites

luvthelighthouse
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm sure we can dissect every song, every photo, every lyric, every hairstyle, etc...

This could be fun. List some of your favorite things about the band or guys. I'll go first.

1) While it's not my favorite song, it's my favorite sounding song... New Kid In Town. Every single time I hear the opening lyrics, my heart melts. There is just something about Glenn's vocals that makes my heart drop to my stomach! :inlove:

2) I love that Don puts so much heart into his lyrics. I was really listening to The Last Resort today, and I was blown away w/his lyrics again!

3) My favorite song on LROE is Waiting in the Weeds.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this list... but I want to see what everyone else has to say. :)

sodascouts
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Hmmm..... this will require some thought... good idea for a topic!

Brooke
07-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Good idea! Just for a start cause I don't have much time now:

1. Take It Easy is my very favorite Eagles song. It never fails to make me feel good whenever I hear it. Those opening riffs (if that's what you call it) always make me smile. There are many more of their songs that I love, but this one will always be #1.

2. Don Henley's 'fro back in the day. So sexy!

3. Glenn's long hair back in the day. A man just should not be allowed to have such wonderful, thick, gorgeous hair! Well, just Glenn! And even though it's short now, it's still wonderful, thick, and gorgeous!

Those just popped in to my head. There will be more!

Oops! Edited to add #4-WITW! It takes my breath away!

sodascouts
07-10-2008, 10:11 PM
OK, I've thought of some favorites.

1) My favorite Eagles album is Desperado - every song is terrific.

2) My favorite song the Eagles have covered is Ol' 55. It seems so simple, yet it has so much power.

3) My favorite song off of a live album or DVD is Seven Bridges Road. Such harmonies!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok here i go:

1. I love the Hotel California album. For me its the best i listen to it all the time and it brings back so many memories.

2. I love Don's voice its so soulful and and ful of emotionial. It always seems to get me.

3. I love the Eagles version of Life's Been Good and Boys Of Summer.

Mrs Henley
07-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Ok, let's try it.

1) I'm so in love with the Hotel California album, those songs are so beautiful and they're meaning a lot to me.

2) Don's hair of the '80's and begin '90's - OMG :inlove: So gorgeous and sexy! And his voice, it's so soulful and emotionial. (just like TGOS said)

3) The Joe Walsh Actions on stage, he's so funny! The Eagles would be a way to different without Joe right now :).

And I'm not finished jet, don't worry :P

Freypower
07-11-2008, 05:05 AM
This is an excellent idea. I can dip into this on a regular basis when I think of all the things I love about this band. For now:

1. Glenn's voice.
2. Glenn's charisma.
3. The rapport between Glenn and Don.
4. The awesome songwriting partnership of America's Lennon-McCartney.
5. Don the singing drummer (to quote Glenn, there is really only hin and Levon Helm - er, and Phil Collins too, Glenn).
6. The title track of LROOE is one of the most magnificent pieces of songwriting I have ever heard and reminds me of why I love this band so much.

More later, believe me. 8)

Mrs Henley
07-11-2008, 05:08 AM
6. The title track of LROOE is one of the most magnificent pieces of songwriting I have ever heard and reminds me of why I love this band so much.

Definitely FP!

TimothyBFan
07-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Great topic but a hard one--so much I love!

1.) The biggest thing I love is the way they harmonize--I literally get chills most of the time when listening to certain songs such as Take It To The Limit, Hole In The World and Hold On etc...

2.) My favorite songs are Best Of My Love and Take It To The Limit (for the above reason).

3.) Love the fact that they each have such individual talents and have been so successful with solo careers also.

4.) There has never been a song done by the Eagles that I say I just don't like-I literally love each and every song they have ever performed or put on an album.

5.) Of course, Timothy and Joe!

I, like the rest of you, will probably be adding to my list as I think more about it.

Mrs Frey
07-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Goodness, gracious, where do I start? :shock: There is so much about this band that I love: the music, the boys themselves... and I can write and write and write about each one in depth! :blush:

I think I'll pick one thing that I love each day. How's that? :wink:

Today, it will be the way Glenn :heart: and Don sound together. OH! Pure heaven! It is not often that two voices blend the way theirs do (the other example that springs to mind immediately is John Lennon and Paul McCartney). WOW!!! :bow:

Ive always been a dreamer
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I like your idea MF. I'm going for one a day as well. For today, I'll pick the thing that always stands out in my mind when I think about why I love this band so much.

It is because when I play any Eagles album, it is not like listening to the same song over and over again. Every song is unique.

Mrs Henley
07-11-2008, 08:57 AM
It is because when I play any Eagles album, it is not like listening to the same song over and over again. Every song is unique.

Indeed!

Brooke
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
The one idea a day is a good one.

Today's favorite thing about the band is that I never tire of listening to their songs. I've listened to some of their songs for what, 36 years? They are timeless. I still love them. :D

DonFan
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Goodness, gracious, where do I start? :shock: There is so much about this band that I love: the music, the boys themselves... and I can write and write and write about each one in depth! :blush: I think I'll pick one thing that I love each day. How's that? :wink:
Good idea. I didn't respond to this topic right away bec there are SO many things I love about them!

Today, it will be the way Glenn :heart: and Don sound together. OH! Pure heaven! It is not often that two voices blend the way theirs do (the other example that springs to mind immediately is John Lennon and Paul McCartney). WOW!!! :bow:

I completely agree--I adore the way Don & Glenn's voices blend together.
One funny note: While the Lennon-McCartney comment is heard often and always complementary, I get the feeling that occasionally Don doesn't much care for the comparison. On Don's Storytellers show, he was talking about how the producers wanted him to sing an Eagles song, and he said he didn't want to--he had been singing those songs for years and he was sure everyone was tired of them (plus he was plugging his latest solo effort). The producers said, No, you HAVE to sing an Eagles song--if you don't, it would be like Paul McCartney not singing a Beatles' song. And Don laughed ruefully and said, "Yeah, it would be exactly like that." :roll:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
i'll add one thing a day to my list:

4. I love how Joe is crazy on stage - he never fails to put a smile on my face

luvthelighthouse
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
This afternoons list:

1) I love Don's honestly. In his Charlie Rose interview, he discuss the drug use of the 70's and says (paraphrasing), "I wonder if we weren't on those things, if we would have made more hits, maybe not?" It's does not seem that he has any regrets and I LOVE that about a person. Don't apologize for your past, just except it as part of your life lessons.

2) I love that even though, back in the day, when Glenn was quite the stud... all the ladies that have ever commented on him, say what a gentalman he was. I can totally see that about him!

3) I love that Timothy is so soft spoken, yet is presence is very noticeable.

4) I love that Joe hasn't lost his quirkiness.

DonFan
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
All very good points, LTL.

rcknalwys
07-11-2008, 06:58 PM
What a great topic idea! Like everyone else, I think I'll post one thing at a time since there are so many things I like.
I'll start with the first thing which will be Timothy-related of course...

On a purely shallow level...the HAIR :inlove:

But the one thing that I truly like about Timothy is that he seems to be such a genuine person, nothing fake or pretensious about him.

Scarlet Sun
07-12-2008, 12:06 AM
My favorite album is the debut because I like everything about it - songs, musical style, laid-back vibe, album cover design, photos, etc.

My favorite photos come from the session in Topanga Canyon which produced one side of the On The Border insert, because all of the guys look cool and I like their clothes a lot, especially the denim shirts and Don's with the cartoon mushrooms
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eagles1973bordershoot01tn.jpg

My favorite Eagles trivia fact is that all the members of the original band were Water signs

Maleah
07-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Ooooooo....what do I love....................

1. I love the gritty soul in Don's voice. I remember reading somewhere how someone said in an interview that Don's voice was the most soulful voice they'd ever heard without adding all the runs in it. I would agree. There is such deep emotion in his voice and it can go from a sexy rasp to piercing heights.

2. I love how perfect both Don and Glenn blend with each other but in different ways. I was just talking about this with Soda on the phone a while back. Glenn blends so smoothly with everyone, just perfect harmonies. Don also blends perfectly with everyone but has a bit more distinct sound in his harmonies.

3. I love the little interactions between the guys on stage that remind you that beyond all the stories you read about them.....they have known each other for a very long time and care very much for each other.

4. I love how much you can tell that Timothy truly enjoys himself while performing. I love watching him play the bass! As someone else mentioned, I love that he's so quiet but yet such a powerful presence.

5. I love Joe's dry/quirky sense of humor and the way he interacts with the crowd and his bandmates. I love how goofy he is in trying to bring a smile to everyone's faces.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
ok my favorite for today is:

5. Don's Eyes i don't really know what else to say other than they're amazing

Freypower
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I love the Hotel California album and how it made a naive 16 year old aware of America in a way I had never imagined.

I love the more gritty realism and the dark humour of The Long Run (extremely underrated).

Did I mention Glenn's eyelashes? No.. OK... :twisted:

I love how Joe nodded at me during NKIT on December 4 2004 after I applauded his solo. He didn't have to but he did and I will never forget it.

07-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Okay - I was going to post something else, but you all have inspired me otherwise. Today, I am going to post about eyes. :wink:

I love Don's baby blues, too.

I love Glenn's eyelashes, too. I also love how deep set Glenn's eyes are.

I love Joe's green eyes.

I love Timothy's stare.

Glennsallnighter
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I love Glenn's eyelashes, too. I also love how deep set Glenn's eyes are.

So do I! Glenn :heart: 's eyes are absolutely gorgeous, and very distinctive

Mrs Henley
07-13-2008, 05:59 AM
OK, for now:

I love Don his blue eyes :heart:

I love Timothy's voice at "Love Will Keep Us Alive", really great!!

I love Glenn his pratical jokes at stage, he's so funny!

Brooke
07-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok, today's favorites are:

1. Glenn's sweet, sweet voice on Peaceful Easy Feeling.

2. Don's raspy, sexy voice on One of These Nights. And of course, the air intake that he doesn't do anymore.

3. Tim's hair.

4. Joe's crazy "Life's Been Good".

TimothyBFan
07-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Brooke--Ditto on Tim's hair and I also love the way Joe mixes it up on Life's Been Good--his sense of humor is a big plus!!!

rcknalwys
07-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm going to post about someone other than Timothy, gasp!
I love Joe's goofiness and his superb guitar work. He certainly deserves the "Clown Prince of Rock and Roll" title.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-13-2008, 05:50 PM
For today:

6. I love the chemistry that they all have on stage now. They look like they are really having fun now

Maleah
07-13-2008, 06:03 PM
My fav. for today

I love how Don seems to look over at Glenn for reassurance sometimes. That's probably not what he's doing, but sometimes it appears that way and it's really sweet.

DonFan
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
I was watching clips of LROOE concerts today, so my favorites are:

Don & Glenn harmonizing each time they sing "Long road out of eden...."

The way Glenn & Timothy jump and hold their pose during the jamming portion of Funk 49. And watching Joe during all of Funk 49.

Watching Don rocking out as he plays the guitar on "Somebody," and sharing the mic with Timothy. Love that!

Freypower
07-13-2008, 07:04 PM
My fav. for today

I love how Don seems to look over at Glenn for reassurance sometimes. That's probably not what he's doing, but sometimes it appears that way and it's really sweet.

Reassurance and also solidarity, I like to think, like that sweet moment at the end of Tequila Sunrise on F1 (and during the same song in HFO and Christchurch).

When Glenn pats Don on the back after Desperado in F1 that is one of THE great moments, as it is when he applauds Don after HOTM in HFO.

I love the moment in the 60 Minutes interview when the guy asks 'are you friends' and they simultaneously both say 'yes'.

A couple of favourite vocal moments - Glenn's 'ah-oooh' in NKIT, the 'whoo whoo' in HT, and Don's 'uh' in HC.

I love the way Tim sings 'Don't just stand there takin' up space' in Do Something.

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2008, 08:02 PM
From F1!

The way Glenn :heart: looks up in AG at 'see the stars but still not see the light'

The shy smile just before he starts singing NMCD!

At the very end of Lyin' Eyes where Glenn :heart: moves over to Joe and gently runs the back of his finger across the fingerboard of Joe's guitar, then the two of them smile at each other. So cute and adorable :inlove:

Mrs Henley
07-14-2008, 07:58 AM
I agree with all the things in the previous messages (A)

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Today's is

7. I love the song Learn To Be Still from HFO

Mrs Henley
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
this evening:

Eagles version of Heart Of The Matter at HFO

Don his gorgeous voice at Life In The Fast Lane.

The jamming part of Funk #49 with Glenn and Joe, amazing!

And more is coming!

luvthelighthouse
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I LOVE the lyrics to After the Thrill is Gone, but especially

1) Empty pages and a frozen pen

2) You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends

3) You keep on singing for the sake of the song

4) Any kind of love w/out passion, that ain't no kinda lovin' at all

I also LOVE the message in The Last Resort

1) Anyone who can use "the great divide" properly and make it not sound forced is amazing.

2) I love the line, "somebody laid the mountains low, while the town got high"

3) I love the way this song was written about Aspen before it turned into the commericalism that is currently is... just like the song "predicts". I find that amazing and profound !

Freypower
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I didn't know it was about Aspen. I thought it was a potted history of California. I can see where Don may have had Aspen in mind, though.

Today's favourites are the entire lyric of Life In The Fast Lane, especially the line 'we've been up and down this highway, haven't seen a goddamn thing'.

Glenn's 'leadership speech' in HFO and the 'I wanna thank all you guys' bit. I can't help myself there, I'm afraid.

The way Glenn intros Seven Bridges Road 'I hope you like this' and the way he says 'thank you' at the end.

DonFan
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Today's favorite:

Don's breathtaking new version of End of the Innocence that he sang in his solo shows last summer. It was stunning.

Maleah
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Another favorite:

The way Joe and Glenn gently tease Don at the end of F1 during the whole "who's guitar is this" section.

The way that Don takes it all with a smile

The grin that Joe gives Don after he teases him

DonFan
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Another favorite:

The way Joe and Glenn gently tease Don at the end of F1 during the whole "whose guitar is this" section.

I totally agree with these, Maleah!

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Another favorite:

The way Joe and Glenn gently tease Don at the end of F1 during the whole "whose guitar is this" section.

I totally agree with these, Maleah!

Me too!

rcknalwys
07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Timothy's modest "thank you" after he sings

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Don's drum faces.

The Helmet Cam.

They way he puts so much into it when he sings Wasted Time.

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
The Don and Glenn Fun at stage. They always have fun together.

Joe's Funk #49 face, so funny!

Don's drum faces. (I agree with that)

Glenn his dance when they were playing All She Wants To Do Is Dance (at F1).

Glennsallnighter
07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Glenn his dance when they were playing All She Wants To Do Is Dance (at F1).

Oh Yes! Very HS&G!

rcknalwys
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
One of my favorite things is the way Timothy moves around with the music. His legs are constantly in motion, keeping time with his feet, the heels hitting the floor to the beat. His body constantly in motion, swinging back and forth with his guitar, head thrown back, totally into the song. Not that I spend much time observing him or anything, just a random thought you know!

:fainted: :jawdrop: :inlove: :drool: :drool: :bow:

StephUK
07-26-2008, 06:55 PM
I LOVE the lyrics to After the Thrill is Gone, but especially

1) Empty pages and a frozen pen

2) You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends

3) You keep on singing for the sake of the song

4) Any kind of love w/out passion, that ain't no kinda lovin' at all

I also LOVE the message in The Last Resort

1) Anyone who can use "the great divide" properly and make it not sound forced is amazing.

2) I love the line, "somebody laid the mountains low, while the town got high"

3) I love the way this song was written about Aspen before it turned into the commericalism that is currently is... just like the song "predicts". I find that amazing and profound !

Wonderful lyrics - I love them too.

Favourite moments for Farewell 1 -

When Glenn lifts his eyes while singing 'when you look up in the sky(Already Gone)

The WINK :wink: when Glenn sings 'one says she's a friend of mine(Take it Easy)

Steph

TimothyBFan
07-27-2008, 10:47 AM
One of my favorite things is the way Timothy moves around with the music. His legs are constantly in motion, keeping time with his feet, the heels hitting the floor to the beat. His body constantly in motion, swinging back and forth with his guitar, head thrown back, totally into the song. Not that I spend much time observing him or anything, just a random thought you know!

:fainted: :jawdrop: :inlove: :drool: :drool: :bow:

Words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Maleah
07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
That's one of my favorite things about Tim as well! It's one of the reasons I fell in love with the bass as an instrument....not only because of the way it drives the melody of the song....but because Timothy looked like he was having so much fun playing it. He gets lost in the music and it's captivating to watch!

DWDrummer
08-20-2008, 11:42 PM
The Sad Cafe is one of my all time favorite eagles songs, i love the way the music and the lyrics were written, and it seemed like such a departure from the normal eagles stuff. But i have looked absolutely everywhere but i cannot find a video of them performing it like back in 79 or 80. if anyone knows where to find a live concert video of it PLEASE let me know :-)

Travis

sodascouts
08-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Travis,

I wish I could help you, but I have no idea were a video of that may be. I have not actually been able to locate ANY video concert bootleg from The Long Run tour. Hope springs eternal though!

DWDrummer
08-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Well after taking a closer look at the download section i noticed the featured show and to my amazement it was the long beach show and even more to amazement contained a live audio of the sad cafe! the live performance gave me goosebumps, would love to know if any other live audios existed from the long run era

Mrs Henley
08-25-2008, 12:53 AM
I think there will be some more live audio somewhere, I'm sorry but I can't help you also..:( I wish I had those live vids or mp3s too..

Littlemelly9
09-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I love Randy and His smile!!!!!!

Troubadour
09-25-2008, 08:05 PM
There are a million things I could list, but right now, I love Don's little mannerisms/movements when he's singing and drumming at the same time. I love the way he sits and the fact that he can't seem to keep his head still (think Kirshner, Ol' 55!) It's adorable. I also love the kind of headbanging he does in the background of the BBC 1973 concert, when he's sat behind the drumkit. I guess it comes under the category of "getting into the music" :cool:

I also love the habit he has of glancing into the camera (seemingly by mistake!) and then looking away. One moment that springs to mind is on the BBC '73 show during Train Leaves Here This Morning, and the other is during Heart Of The Matter on HFO after he sings "I miss you baby". He glances at the camera and looks down with a kind of shy but knowing look on his face... Sigh.

If I had to choose a favourite song, it would either be Wasted Time or The Last Resort. It's an impossible decision really, but those two were the ones that captured me in terms of the lyrics and the soulful sound of Don's voice. I never get tired of them and they never fail to stir up some emotion in me when I listen to them.

EagleLady
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
This afternoons list:

1) I love Don's honestly. In his Charlie Rose interview, he discuss the drug use of the 70's and says (paraphrasing), "I wonder if we weren't on those things, if we would have made more hits, maybe not?" It's does not seem that he has any regrets and I LOVE that about a person. Don't apologize for your past, just except it as part of your life lessons.

2) I love that even though, back in the day, when Glenn was quite the stud... all the ladies that have ever commented on him, say what a gentalman he was. I can totally see that about him!

3) I love that Timothy is so soft spoken, yet is presence is very noticeable.

4) I love that Joe hasn't lost his quirkiness.

Glenn's gotten more studly as he has gotten older :drool: :inlove: My favorites are Don's butt, blue eyes, and sexy voice, Glenn's deep blue eyes, Joe's quirky sense of humor, and Timmy's quietness.

Troubadour
09-26-2008, 08:12 AM
A few other favourite Eagle-related things that spring to mind today:

The way Glenn kind of falls back from the mic with his guitar on HFO during Get Over It. HOT!

Any incident where the guys make each other laugh. I love watching Glenn crack up over something Joe has said, or when Joe gently teases Don (eg: the "who's guitar is this?" incident, or "Henley's not done with me yet." I had seriously naughty thoughts about that last comment!) :twisted: There's another interview where Joe says something like "That's why I like sitting next to Don Henley" (something about his 'calming influence'), which makes Don laugh. Just warm fuzzy stuff.

Don's nervousness during Hotel California on HFO. The way he inhales deeply between the lines makes me want to give him a big cuddle.

Joe's HFO hair.

Glenn's HFO hair.

Don's HFO ha... You get the picture.

My favourite album at the moment is Desperado. I love the whole theme, and the Doolin' Dalton/Desperado reprise makes me swoon. As does Saturday Night. And who doesn't want to rock out to Out Of Control? :rockon:

The whole of Seven Bridges Road, but especially the way their voices deepen when they sing "honey". Gah.

Maybe this is because I'm a Brit, but I love the guys' accents! Glenn's speaking voice is really cool and it makes him sound eternally young and enthusiastic to me. Hearing Don talk just totally makes me swoon. Especially in one of the live intros to Talking To The Moon when he's talking about working for his dad back in Texas - "in the summertime" and selling things "to people who didn't know what in the hell they wanted." Sigh.

Joe during HFO's Help Me Through The Night. His voice, his eyes, and his general intensity/vulnerability during that song.

Glenn's voice on Peaceful Easy Feeling. That song has long been a favourite for the kind of mellow, youthful vibe I get from it. The first few lines are magical and it's the song that made me really love and appreciate Glenn's voice.

Freypower
09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Those are good examples, Troubadour.

At the moment I have a big thing about Glenn's harmonies with Don in the title track of LROOE - all the 'pilgrims & prodigals creeping toward the dawn' stuff. I do hope I get to see the two of them sing this live some day.

EagleLady
09-27-2008, 08:05 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/JrsQueen_2008/GFrey1974Traveler.jpg

eaglesvet
10-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Just catching up on some older threads...
the first time I really listened to Waiting in the Weeds, it literally brought tears to my eyes--the lyrics are so beautifully moving...that whole sense of the end of the hope/anticipation/freedom of summer that one feels at the end of August, plus all of the nature and relationship references. I also love Don's voice in the song, especially the verse at the county fair where he (as Ticky puts it, through "Armando") he sings a few lines flat...that just gets to me...:heart:

Mrs Henley
10-15-2008, 12:43 PM
the first time I really listened to Waiting in the Weeds, it literally brought tears to my eyes--the lyrics are so beautifully moving...that whole sense of the end of the hope/anticipation/freedom of summer that one feels at the end of August, plus all of the nature and relationship references. I also love Don's voice in the song, especially the verse at the county fair where he (as Ticky puts it, through "Armando") he sings a few lines flat...that just gets to me...:heart:

You're not alone with that EV!
Here is an other person who've got the same! *waves*
When they started to play it at the concert and Don started to sing, I almost started to cry.

TimothyBFan
10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
It's funny this should come up here today--I posted yesterday in the ipod sequence forum that it played for the first time since I saw them in concert a few weeks ago and I was thinking how much appreciate that song -even more now since I saw it done live, I think. Just grows and grows on me the more I hear it-if that is possible.

Mrs Henley
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Just grows and grows on me the more I hear it-if that is possible.

It is, TBF!

Brooke
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
This is funny, cause my hubby brought up this song over the weekend and we listened to it loud! He doesn't usually like to listen to such emotional songs. He prefers to listen to rockers.

We both agreed that in places, you can nearly feel Don's emotion while singing the song. It made me wonder how they can sing those songs over and over and put the same emotion in to it every time. It's like he reaches down inside himself on certain parts. This song has affected me more than most. And the beautiful words.....he just completely amazes me on it! :fainted:

Freypower
10-15-2008, 11:15 PM

Which lines does he sing flat? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

eaglesvet
10-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Oh, i didn't mean to imply he was singing off key...quite the contrary. i actually think the key changes to a minor one (maybe mikeA or someone more musically educated than me can verify.) The lines about the county fair: 'you'e swinging on the top,suspended there with him'---that whole verse just melts me! Armando (or maybe Timmy ) in the Long Story just cracked me up in the sequence when that comes up about Don singing flat in WITW, and i'm sure that's where Ticky meant!

sodascouts
10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Don loves to do key changes mid-song to mix it up a hit. He uses key changes to great effect on many of his songs, usually after the bridge or towards the end. Waiting of the Weeds is certainly one of the best examples of that songwriting device!

eaglesvet
10-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Don loves to do key changes mid-song to mix it up a hit. He uses key changes to great effect on many of his songs, usually after the bridge or towards the end. Waiting of the Weeds is certainly one of the best examples of that songwriting device!
For my own knowledge, is it correct to say that WITW changes to a minor key at that point? I'm just curious as to why it has such an effect on me here!

Prettymaid
10-18-2008, 03:35 PM
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/witwguitarchords.jpg

ticky
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
AHHH!! Thanks PM!!! woohoo!!

Prettymaid
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/witwguitarchords2.jpg

Prettymaid
10-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Hope this helps a little, EV. As you can see, he uses a lot of minor chords in the song, but the part you're talking about -

(Em) And now the ferris wheel has (G) stopped

You're swinging from the (Bm) top

Suspended (F#) there with him

goes into the new B minor chord into the new F sharp.

It's a beautiful song!

ticky
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
umm.. what happened to page 3?? *waiting patiently.. somewhat*

Prettymaid
10-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry Ticky! The only thing on page 3 is this -

A#5+: xxx332

( Not sure if it's important )

Fortunately for me my mom, because her family was musical, introduced me to a lot of different instruments when I was young, usually as Christmas gifts. I've had an acoustic guitar,a piano, a keyboard, an autoharp, and a melodica. The guitar, try as I might, hurt my fingers so badly I never learned. I play keyboard by ear, but I hardly ever play anymore. Darn ear starts hurting from banging on those keys after awhile! ( I know, it's an old joke - I just couldn't resist!):grin:

ticky
10-18-2008, 04:59 PM
thats just the a sharp chord *G* cool beans..
Yeah my fingers hurt pretty bad at first, now they're numb so its ok and Im told thats a good sign for guitar players. Im glad cuz its a sign of irreversable nerve damage to me.. But I can play that rock n roll!! kind of...

Prettymaid
10-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Through the years I've always wished I could play the guitar. As much as I enjoy the piano, it's not very portable, if ya know what I mean! I always thought it'd be so cool to just have a guitar with you wherever you go... sit down, have a singalong...:guitar: :sigh:

eaglesvet
10-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Hope this helps a little, EV. As you can see, he uses a lot of minor chords in the song, but the part you're talking about -

(Em) And now the ferris wheel has (G) stopped

You're swinging from the (Bm) top

Suspended (F#) there with him

goes into the new B minor chord into the new F sharp.

It's a beautiful song!

Cool, thanks. It'll mean more to my sons who've taken piano for years, and started guitar last summer. I bet they'll be interested in that website!

ticky
10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Through the years I've always wished I could play the guitar. As much as I enjoy the piano, it's not very portable, if ya know what I mean! I always thought it'd be so cool to just have a guitar with you wherever you go... sit down, have a singalong...:guitar: :sigh:

I know exactly what you mean!! thats one of the reasons Im learning. My brother plays beautifully and never had a lesson. He's one of those people who just picked it up and POOF he could play! ME? I gotta ram the chords in my heard with a sledge hammer

Glennsallnighter
10-20-2008, 04:35 AM
Thanks for those chords PM. I have them as well in the LROOE song book, but they are more spread out so I have to keep turning pages!!. Yours is easier to follow. It IS a lovely song and the harmonies in it are second to none.

I too have played loads of instruments. As a child I played piano, recorder, and tin (or penny) whistle to a fair standard. In my teens I moved on to guitar and clarinet and later my dads keyboard. Shortly After I got married I bought a keyboard and taught myself how to play that. It probably needs an upgrade but the kids love it and I'm not to fussy about them using it. They experiment on it a lot.

Ticky, I'm delighted the guitar is going well. I know your fingers will adjust in time as they get used to it.

Prettymaid
10-20-2008, 08:17 AM
I just wish we all lived close to each other so we could jam! :band::rockguitar:

Although I've had the instruments to play, my favorite thing to do is sing. Sing, sing, sing! I wish I had the talent to be a professional! I love it! :singer:

Glennsallnighter
10-20-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd love to jam as well PM! Thanks for the chords. I'm going to use them in my guitar class later!

glenneaglesfan
10-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, you are all very talented to play any instrument.

I like the way the guy who posted those chords interprets the 'egg and dart' line as 'the ebb and dart of small gray spiders...' That could go in the 'Did I hear that right?' thread.:)

ticky
10-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I just wish we all lived close to each other so we could jam! :band::rockguitar:

Although I've had the instruments to play, my favorite thing to do is sing. Sing, sing, sing! I wish I had the talent to be a professional! I love it! :singer:

That's pretty much why I am learning to play. I love to sing and I've always wanted something to sing to. I used to have a piano (a very old family one that went back to my Mom when it was obvious that no one here was ever going to play it) But I didnt like playing the piano as much as the guitar. You can just pick up the git when you feel like it and go for it. I have a country/blues voice tho and I am not a big fan of country music. Thats why the Eagles songs suit me so well! and torch songs. I can sing the heck out of a good torch song! *G* but they're hard to play on the git *G* SO I stick with boys *G*

Glennsallnighter
10-27-2008, 06:40 PM
You can actually pick up quite a lot of the boys' stuff by 'ear', particularly the ballad style ones. The books can offer either easier or more difficult chord progressions depending on the book you choose. I tend to use a mix of all 3. Some of Glenn :heart:'s solo stuff is great to play. I love IDTWNW. And its very playable.

TimothyBFan
11-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I plan on trying to log in tonight for part of the chat but since we will be outside I knew I wouldn't be able to watch Christchurch then so I thought I would watch it today since I was stuck at home (we are having a new furnace put in today--so the big bad gas company can kiss my *ss 'cause they will be getting only 1/2 my money this year!). I hadn't gotten to ever see the whole thing all the way thru only bits here and there so I must say it was a real pleasure. LOVED it!! So I thought I would come here and put some of my faves from the video!!

1) Timothy (I know you are all surprised)

2)Must say I loved Joe doing Help Me Thru The Night-again sorry to all of you that wanted to keep it around in the last survivor! This was a great version.

3)That silly dog setting behind Joe--so funny-it makes me laugh, especially after Joe puts his umbrella hat on it.

4) Timothy's hair keeps getting in his eyes from the wind and rain-I want to just brush it away for him.:inlove:

5) Don's voice in Heart Of The Matter--I love the way it sounds so rough, and thru the rest of the show you also notice it. Really sexy!!

6)Joe banging the drum on You Belong To The City.

7)Timothy's shirt :smitten:

8)Love this version of Funk #49. Just seems extra funky to me.

9)In Life's Been Good, I love the line "Write me letters, tell me I'm overweight". Also love the way Don F and Joe walk across the stage and do the kicks when they meet up with Tim and Glenn. Cute.

10)Timothy's hair getting a little frizzier-again I should be there to run my fingers thru it to get it off his face.:heart:

11)Heartache Tonight -love the way Timothy's voice seems to really stand out here. Nice blend!

12)Love listening to the voices when it goes dark between songs. You hear all kinds of commotion.

13)Love Don H. and Glenn's towels during Desperado.

14)Timothy :iloveyou:

15) The way Timothy, once again, is the last one off the stage and takes time to throw towels into the crowd. Lucky fans!!!

and last but not least

16) Timothy just seems to be extra sexy, hot and gorgeous (or maybe it's just me thinking so!!) :inlove::inlove:

Prettymaid
11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Willie, thanks for posting that - now I want to watch Christchurch! :nod:

ticky
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Umm so Willie.. what did you think about Timmy? was he in that vid? *G*

sodascouts
11-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed Christchuch Willie, even if you won't be able to do the whole chat party thing! Say hi to everybody for me.

And yes, I think that Tim looks pretty sexy during that video with his hair all blowing in the wind!

11-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, they all look pretty HS&G in Christchurch! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Glennsallnighter
11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Glenn:heart: also looks extremely Hot Sexy and very Gorgeous in that Red shirt in Christchurch!! I must see about a few caps of it!

Troubadour
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes! The red shirt! He should definitely wear that colour more often.

I liked the fact that Don was showing a hint of red too. Even if it didn't quite work with his plaid shirt... ;) A cold, a croaky voice and mismatched clothes... Too cute!

Freypower
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
My favourite parts of Christchurch are a) the ROCK version of You Belong To The City and b) Smuggler's Blues. I have to cherish those.

TimothyBFan
11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
As I said earlier-I am really taken aback by the Christchurch concert-so I went on Onlinecentral and downloaded all 7 of them on there. Does anyone else know of anymore that I can use my freecorder on and get them onto my ipod? I really want Heart Of The Matter, I would love to have the whole concert if I could.

Edit to add---Just found a load of them on YouTube!!! Yippeee!!!

TimothyBFan
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have a playlist off hand from Christchurch so that when I can burn them in order? If not I will just have to watch it all over again and write them down-that will be a real heartache!!!:)

sodascouts
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Here you go Willie:

Christchurch Show Page (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/trade/eagleschristchurchdvd.htm)

TimothyBFan
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank you Nancy--I knew it was probably somewhere!

Troubadour
11-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Just watched HOTM on youtube... Oh my goodness.

"One more acoustic song then we're gonna rock 'n' roll for ya."

The jacket. The scarf. The hoarse voice. The cute little grimace near the end. SIGH. I just fell in love all over again.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Freypower
11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
He also does some very eloquent hand gestures in the Christchurch version of HOTM. It's very raw and moving, a lot less 'polished' than the HFO version, although that was moving too.

I have to say that I also like the CHC versions of Wasted Time and Desperado, because I prefer Don playing drums and Glenn playing piano.

ticky
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
OK, after MUCH discussion and debate, these are my Eagles favorites.

Don ~ Hotels California where he dose the UHH.. right after "She's got the Mercedes Benz.." The lip curl, the Uhh! its just ALLL good.. also the drum riff at the end of the song.. Awesome..

Glenn ~ The Rebel yell in "Already Gone" ... Only Glenn could do this and I'm not sure he still could! (Im pretty sure I couldnt *G*)

Tim ~ "I Cant Tell You Why" the whole song.. everything about it. His voice, the guitar, the music.. its wonderful. The absolute undisputed best slow dance song ever.

Joe ~ *G* this one was hard, but we're talking Eagles moments so that narrowed it down for me. First and foremost is "Help Me Through The Night" HFO version. Im not sure if it's his vulnerability, his indisputable sexiness *G*, his voice or what, but it's the whole song is beyond sexy and sensuous. I also want to mention the chucka-chung chucka-chung in "Life In the Fast Lane" *G* very cool.

The Eagles~ As a whole, my favorite Musical moment would have to be "Seven Bridges Road". The harmonies and the song is beautiful and fun.

chaleymom
11-15-2008, 11:04 PM
It's extremely hard to name a favorite song from the boys - and since I've been around a loooong time (haha) I've been listening to them for a lot of years! :razz: I have always loved the soft tenor of Timothy B in I Can't Tell you Why and Love Will Keep us Alive.........and of course there's all the Glenn stuff... from his gravelly Smugglers Blues to his smooth New Kid in Town and of course the bittersweet Girl From Yesterday..... But of course I'll ALWAYS have a soft spot for Don's Heart of the Matter and Last Worthesss Evening.. There are soooo many!!!!

I do have to say my NEW favorite has to be Waiting in the Weeds .... I especially love the 'carousel" part .... '....flavor of the week is melting down your pretty summer dress... baby what a mess you're making....."

Have I said yet that I CANNOT wait til Tuesday????

sodascouts
11-16-2008, 12:54 AM
That's my fave part of Waiting in the Weeds too - what an incredible song.

GlennLover
11-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Mine too. I think it's a lovely song. Great harmonies.

Troubadour
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Waiting In The Weeds is such a beautiful song. I've been in a big LROOE mood lately (probably due to the Song Survivor) and it's still one of my favourites. The "county fair" bit is gorgeous. I also love "a small gray spider spinning in the dark, in spite of all the times the web is torn apart". Lovely image, and very inspiring.

eaglesvet
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, you are all very talented to play any instrument.

I like the way the guy who posted those chords interprets the 'egg and dart' line as 'the ebb and dart of small gray spiders...' That could go in the 'Did I hear that right?' thread.:)
As I've said before, WITW is my fave also...especially the part where the key changes. However, I also thought it was "ebb and dart", because of the ebb and flow of tides (fitting in with the changes of nature in that part of the song.) What does "egg and dart" refer to?

Freypower
11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg-and-dart

See the 'Popular Culture' paragraph.

eaglesvet
11-17-2008, 11:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg-and-dart

See the 'Popular Culture' paragraph.
thanks so much, FP! And they even reference the song in the definition of the term...I love it! Never let it be known to my hubby, the ARCHITECT, with whom I honeymooned in GREECE, that I have never heard of that term before in my life! :blush::lol:

DonFan
11-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks from me too, FP--love the reference to Don and WITW!

Brooke
11-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks Fp. That really helped tie it together for me, too.

eaglesvet
11-19-2008, 05:44 PM
It's amazing ( and cool!) that a songwriter would include such a reference in a song--he's so intelligent! Not that we are dummies, either; it's almost a "specialized" sort of reference.

Freypower
11-19-2008, 06:08 PM
He is very good at encapsulating universal themes, such as when he has his little conversation with Caesar in the title track and Caesar says 'Dude! The road to empire is a bloody, stupid waste'! I love that (NB I expressed it that way deliberately).