PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Backing Up the Ladies

sodascouts
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
This was brought up by DonFan in another thread... why hasn't Glenn ever done a duet with a lady? We have evidence that his voice sounds great with a woman's!

These are the songs he's sung backup on with women:

Linda Ronstadt - Rescue Me (Live 1971) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LindaRonstadtRescueMe.mp3) - he goes back and forth with her at the end
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LindaRonstadtRescueMe.mp3

Linda Ronstadt - I Ain't Always Been Faithful (1971) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LindaRonstadtIAintAlways.mp3)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LindaRonstadtIAintAlways.mp3

Joni Mitchell - Off Night Backstreet (1977) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2pBbonQPA) - pretty much just on the word "backstreet" lol - not worth checking out if you don't like Joni

Karla Bonoff - If He's Ever Near (1982) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXWR5i9PVo) - especially about 2:00 min and onwards - PS, I LOVE this song!

Laura Creamer - Love Letter (2002) (http://www.myspace.com/lauracreamermusic) - probably the closest we'll get to a Glenn duet, on the choruses at least (The song is on her MySpace Player)

On this one, he's lead and Linda backs him:

"Get Up Kate" (Troubadour 1971) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/GetUpKateTroubadour71.mp3)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/GetUpKateTroubadour71.mp3

These sound good to me - wish he would do a duet or two for real!

Mrs Henley
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Sounds amazing! Yes me too! The next time (if one of us wants to do it) we're giving Glenn a note with the question if he wants to make a duet with a woman! Haha! :lol:

Freypower
07-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I LOVE Get Up Kate. He sounds totally charismatic on it.

But he is not a duet person. Even the BB King song was not a duet. He sang his verse and then he played guitar. He doesn't seem to like interacting vocally with anybody except Don. And if he were to do a duet with a woman, and it was performed, can you envisage him putting down his crutch - er - guitar?

Freypower
07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh, well, I have a couple more thoughts on this.

Don was quoted recently as saying he thinks of himself primarily as a singer and a lyricist. As such it seems to me he is more the type of person to do duets. Glenn seems to me to think of himself as a musician first. :( So he wouldn't. If it is about being a singer first, that is not Glenn. Unfortunately.

The fact that he has decided not to play WDIDWMH suggests that he isn't comfortable with the duets thing. I have my own ideas on how it could be performed. He would, for a start, have to lose the guitar, or it wouldn't work. And Don would either have to start the song playing percussion or guitar and then come down the front and stand next to him for the last verse. Either that or they could do it the way they do How Long with them both playing guitar, but for once in his life I wish Glenn would just stand there and sing during an Eagles show.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all of these, Soda. I always thought Karla Bonoff has a beautiful voice. And actually that's the first time I've ever heard Laura Creamer when she wasn't singing backup. She has a very pretty voice too.

As much as I'd love to see it, unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath for Glenn doing a duet with a female singer. If he hasn't done one up to this point, he probably won't do it now. However, I never say never. He's surprised us before. I bet it would be awesome.
:singer: :guitar:

DonFan
07-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Speaking of Glenn and surprises, I watched some video downloads of the Eagles' Seattle 1976 concert on our site and I was surprised that Glenn pulled a harmonica out of his pocket and played it for one verse of Seven Bridges Road! That was very cool.

You just never know what our guys are going to do. :wink:

Ive always been a dreamer
07-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Yep - that boy is quite the musician, isn't he? He used to also play the harmonica back in the day when they performed Doolin' Dalton as well. I loved it - I thought he looked so cute. :shock: :D

DonFan
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
He really did.
I've always been fascinated by harmonica players. Some of my favorite singers also play harmonica--Billy Joel, Taylor Hicks--just to name a few.

Mrs Henley
07-14-2008, 08:02 AM
I never knew that Glenn did that :lol: :D

Brooke
07-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Yep - that boy is quite the musician, isn't he? He used to also play the harmonica back in the day when they performed Doolin' Dalton as well. I loved it - I thought he looked so cute. :shock: :D

Me, too, dreamer. I need to watch that again! :D

Mrs Henley
07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I saw it at youtube! Wow Glenn is good! :D

Freypower
07-14-2008, 06:19 PM
He really did.
I've always been fascinated by harmonica players. Some of my favorite singers also play harmonica--Billy Joel, Taylor Hicks--just to name a few.

And Robert Plant, Mick Jagger, Neil Young & Bob Dylan. I think Roger Daltrey can also play 'harp' as they call it.

Mrs Frey
07-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Now, now, FP, don't forget John Lennon! :wink: "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me", "From Me To You", "I'll Get You"... :D

I also enjoyed watching Glenn :heart: playing the harmonica on "Seven Bridges Road" and "Doolin-Dalton". I agree, Dreamer - he looks cute indeed! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Regarding Glenn :heart: doing duets with a female singer: I have a strong desire... hmmm... perhaps I should rephrase and say I have a BIG DREAM to sing "The Girl From Yesterday" with Glenn :heart:. The way I would do it is just to sing a harmony with him throughout the song, i.e. not only the parts Don does but the whole song. I've tried doing it... oh hell, I ALWAYS do it with Glenn :heart: when I play the song at home. Sigh. I've got to get famous! :nod: :wink:

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Now, now, FP, don't forget John Lennon! :wink: "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me", "From Me To You", "I'll Get You"... :D

I also enjoyed watching Glenn :heart: playing the harmonica on "Seven Bridges Road" and "Doolin-Dalton". I agree, Dreamer - he looks cute indeed! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Regarding Glenn :heart: doing duets with a female singer: I have a strong desire... hmmm... perhaps I should rephrase and say I have a BIG DREAM to sing "The Girl From Yesterday" with Glenn :heart:. The way I would do it is just to sing a harmony with him throughout the song, i.e. not only the parts Don does but the whole song. I've tried doing it... oh hell, I ALWAYS do it with Glenn :heart: when I play the song at home. Sigh. I've got to get famous! :nod: :wink:

Busy Being Fabulous! :D

Glennsallnighter
07-15-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm sure you would do a brilliant version MF!

DonFan
07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I have a strong desire... hmmm... perhaps I should rephrase and say I have a BIG DREAM to sing "The Girl From Yesterday" with Glenn :heart:. The way I would do it is just to sing a harmony with him throughout the song, i.e. not only the parts Don does but the whole song. I've tried doing it... oh hell, I ALWAYS do it with Glenn :heart: when I play the song at home. Sigh. I've got to get famous! :nod: :wink:

Since we are playing true confessions here, Mrs F, I have always dreamed about singing Glenn's part in "After the Thrill is Gone" with Don. (Kind of ironic, isn't it--the thrill would absolutely NOT be gone if that ever happened! It would be off the charts!) Especially the lines "Empty pages and a frozen pen," my writer's mantra, and "You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends..." :heart:

I'm not a professional singer like you, only a choir singer, but it is fun to dream, isn't it?

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
You can always dream! :) I agree!

I want to sing "Life In The Fast Lane" with Don, haha.
First some re-writing about who's singin' which part.

Mrs Frey
07-16-2008, 02:20 AM
I have a strong desire... hmmm... perhaps I should rephrase and say I have a BIG DREAM to sing "The Girl From Yesterday" with Glenn :heart:. The way I would do it is just to sing a harmony with him throughout the song, i.e. not only the parts Don does but the whole song. I've tried doing it... oh hell, I ALWAYS do it with Glenn :heart: when I play the song at home. Sigh. I've got to get famous! :nod: :wink:

Since we are playing true confessions here, Mrs F, I have always dreamed about singing Glenn's part in "After the Thrill is Gone" with Don. (Kind of ironic, isn't it--the thrill would absolutely NOT be gone if that ever happened! It would be off the charts!) Especially the lines "Empty pages and a frozen pen," my writer's mantra, and "You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends..." :heart:

I'm not a professional singer like you, only a choir singer, but it is fun to dream, isn't it?

Ooh, DF, that's a great song, and I just love the way Glenn :heart: and Don duet on this. :sigh: I'm sure you would do a great job on it. Those two lines you quoted are indeed two of my favourite lines too... well, truthfully, the whole song is just so brilliantly written! :nod:

I'm going to make a slight correction :wink: to what you said about my being a professional singer. I'm not quite professional - I suppose you could call me semi-professional, since I do earn money out of my gigs, but it's not my livelihood. Well, not yet, anyway... :wink: Oh, it is fun to dream, isn't it?

And while I'm dreaming, I'm sure Glenn :heart: is planning a birthday bash later this year for his 60th. I'm going to talk to my bandmates and see if we can pitch to play at his party... :wink: :rofl:

DonFan
07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
And while I'm dreaming, I'm sure Glenn :heart: is planning a birthday bash later this year for his 60th. I'm going to talk to my bandmates and see if we can pitch to play at his party... :wink: :rofl:

Go for it, girl! :D

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Yeah, Go for it! :D

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2008, 05:33 PM
You may not be 'officially' professional MF, but from what I've heard you're every bit as good. I think your band would do a great job at Glenn's 60th. I wonder how the Freys are planning to celebrate it? I know I will be celebrating in my own way over here! (With a little help from Timtot tho' she doesn't realise it yet :lol: )

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
. I wonder how the Freys are planning to celebrate it? I know I will be celebrating in my own way over here! (With a little help from Timtot tho' she doesn't realise it yet :lol: )

Yes, me too. Maybe they will give a birthday party with all his friends and family :lol:
Included The Border Members (dream)

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Dream indeed MH! But rest assured! We'll be having our own birthday thread and our own celebrations over here and if Glenn :heart: does get a minute to drop in I'm sure he'll be delighted with all the attention. I might send him a card. I wonder would he get it?

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Dream indeed MH! But rest assured! We'll be having our own birthday thread and our own celebrations over here and if Glenn :heart: does get a minute to drop in I'm sure he'll be delighted with all the attention. I might send him a card. I wonder would he get it?

Yeah, giving a birthday party here in europe somewhere for Glenn! :D
I've send Don today a letter and I went to the postoffice to send it, I send it by recorded delivery so I'm pretty sure that it will survive till it's in LA. :)
Maybe you can do that too!

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Well good luck to you. I hope he gets it on time for his birthday next week. That would be a nice surprise for him.

Mrs Henley
07-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Me too, if Don gets it.

But you can try it to send one for Glenn's birthday!

Mrs Frey
07-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the support, DF and Mrs Henley! Ah, if only...

You may not be 'officially' professional MF, but from what I've heard you're every bit as good. I think your band would do a great job at Glenn's 60th. I wonder how the Freys are planning to celebrate it? I know I will be celebrating in my own way over here! (With a little help from Timtot tho' she doesn't realise it yet :lol: )

Well, thank you very much, GA! :hug: You are very kind. There's no guarantee that Glenn :heart: will like my singing, though! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Me too, if Don gets it.

But you can try it to send one for Glenn's birthday!

I hope he does!
And I WILL send Glenn :heart: one.

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the support, DF and Mrs Henley! Ah, if only...

Well, thank you very much, GA! :hug: You are very kind. There's no guarantee that Glenn :heart: will like my singing, though! :wink:

I'm sure he would MF, and knowing you're a fan and that he is one of your influences wouldn't do you any harm either :wink: