PDA

View Full Version : Felder on Fox News

sodascouts
07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Felder did a brief interview with Fox News. You can watch the video here:

Fox News Video (http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/Entertainment/Detail?contentId=7026389&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=7.3.1)

He calls Glenn "bipolar." :enraged: To be fair, he does praise Glenn and Don's songwriting and singing.

Man, that interviewer is sure fawning all over Felder. :roll:

Brooke
07-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Just a "nice, clear snapshot of what was going on with the band"! :enraged:

Of course, those lovely pictures of Don and Glenn! :headshake:

And Joe, "bless his heart". :roll:

And yet, he's very happy for them! :headscratch: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This guy is too much! :tonguewag: (I've been wanting to use this emoticon!)

TimothyBFan
07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm just so glad he is happy for the Eagles and the success of the new album and tour-GGGRRRRRR!! :cuss:

What's really sad-I always liked him but the more he appears at interviews to sell this book, the less and less I like him!!!

Brooke
07-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm just so glad he is happy for the Eagles and the success of the new album and tour-GGGRRRRRR!! :cuss:

What's really sad-I always liked him but the more he appears at interviews to sell this book, the less and less I like him!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth, TBF! :enraged:

Freypower
07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
He calls Glenn "bipolar." :enraged:

No comment.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-23-2008, 12:04 AM

No comment.

You know at first I wasn't going to comment on this either, but I gotta tell you that comment really pi$$es me off. Perhaps I am super-sensitive about this, but bipolar disorder is no laughing matter. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but neither is Felder. I also acknowledge that Felder knows Glenn a lot better than I do, that's for sure. But I can tell you, as someone who deals with bipolar disorder every day, I have learned a lot about it, and it is an extremely serious psychotic disease. I think it is extremely irresponsible for Felder to make such a flippant public comment about such a serious mental illness. As I have mentioned before, my mother has Alzheimer's, and like many people with this disease, she has also developed bipolar disorder. What I have learned is that this disease is not just about people who have mood swings, anxiety, or get depressed. It is uncontrolled, irrational, and severe anxiety and manic depression frequently accompanied by paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions. These symptoms are so extreme that they can be easily detected even by a casual observer. Most victims of this disorder have a difficult time functioning in normal society. I don't claim to know Glenn, but I have observed him enough to say that I would doubt that he is bipolar. My personal observation is that he possibly may be moody and impatient, but I have never seen the slightest indications of bipolar behavior. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be wise if everyone, including Felder, would leave the diagnosis to the doctors.

sodascouts
07-23-2008, 12:48 AM
I think Felder was just being insulting rather than literal. I mean, he laughed afterwards. I don't think he was claiming that Glenn truly has the medical condition of bipolar disorder. It's like calling someone a "retard" even though they aren't truly mentally challenged. Felder's comment was a mean-spirited exaggeration of Glenn's moodiness rather than an attempt at diagnosis, IMHO.

Literal or not, though, Felder's comment is offensive.

JoeFan
07-23-2008, 03:48 AM
I agree, SodaScouts, and I think the lesser of Felder for it.

Mrs Frey
07-23-2008, 10:08 AM

And yet, he's very happy for them! :headscratch: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, Brooke, your post really cracked me up!!!

Mrs Frey
07-23-2008, 10:13 AM

No comment.

You know at first I wasn't going to comment on this either, but I gotta tell you that comment really pi$$es me off. Perhaps I am super-sensitive about this, but bipolar disorder is no laughing matter. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but neither is Felder. I also acknowledge that Felder knows Glenn a lot better than I do, that's for sure. But I can tell you, as someone who deals with bipolar disorder every day, I have learned a lot about it, and it is an extremely serious psychotic disease. I think it is extremely irresponsible for Felder to make such a flippant public comment about such a serious mental illness. As I have mentioned before, my mother has Alzheimer's, and like many people with this disease, she has also developed bipolar disorder. What I have learned is that this disease is not just about people who have mood swings, anxiety, or get depressed. It is uncontrolled, irrational, and severe anxiety and manic depression frequently accompanied by paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions. These symptoms are so extreme that they can be easily detected even by a casual observer. Most victims of this disorder have a difficult time functioning in normal society. I don't claim to know Glenn, but I have observed him enough to say that I would doubt that he is bipolar. My personal observation is that he possibly may be moody and impatient, but I have never seen the slightest indications of bipolar behavior. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be wise if everyone, including Felder, would leave the diagnosis to the doctors.

Dreamer, that comment really annoyed me too. :evil: I agree with Soda that his meaning was not literal, but I can understand why the remark upset you. In one of our local drama series a couple of years ago, the bipolar disorder was explored through one of the characters, and it is indeed a serious condition. I actually can't believe that Felder has sunk to the depths he has. And worst of all, he seems to be getting more publicity than the Eagles! :enraged:

07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Well – as I said in my post, I know I am probably super-sensitive about this. But I’m probably not that much different than others who have loved ones that they have to watch suffer through dreadful disease. I can tell you it is extremely sad. I admit I wasn’t this sensitive to it until it affected me personally. However, I have always tried to be sensitive to others feelings when I speak. I think it was very insensitive of Felder to make that remark. I know there is probably no love lost between him and Glenn, and I can understand him criticizing Glenn. However, he should stick to the facts with his criticism instead of making flippant, snide insults.

As far as the publicity Felder is getting, I am not surprised. He is actively trying to promote his book and I don’t fault him for that. However, this interview was on Fox News. This is one news station that Frey or Henley probably would never grant an interview to, so I took that into account. I believe there are a lot of more credible news outlets here that would probably not give Felder any face time.

Mrs Frey
07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Okay, I've just watched the video. Good Lord, Don Felder the little angel. He needs to be careful with that halo of his. :evil:

And if I read or hear one more time that Felder is the writer of "Hotel California", I'm going to scream. At least the interviewer had the good sense to mention that Glenn and Don are the lyricists.

When Felder talked about trying to be "unbiased" in his book, I had to laugh. Now there is a joke. As for the photos of Glenn and Don used, I've never seen them before, and am wondering how those came about being taken. They don't do Glenn and Don any favours, but the purpose behind publishing such unflattering photos of them in his book is so transparent it's sickening.

I wonder what Cindy Frey and their children think about the "bipolar" comment. :evil: I wonder too what Glenn's friends think about Felder's claim that he's "difficult to hang out with". The same applies to Sharon Henley and children, as well as Don's friends.

What a shame that a lot of people are going to fall for everything in this book hook, line and sinker. When is Felder going to get it that the Eagles is GLENN'S band, and Glenn chose DON as his partner? They had the RIGHT to be in charge of proceedings. They had the RIGHT to earn more money, since they were doing most of the WORK!

And "Hotel California"'s success was not only based on a single song, but an ENTIRE ALBUM.

Felder, enough already. GET OVER IT.

Mrs Frey
07-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Well – as I said in my post, I know I am probably super-sensitive about this. But I’m probably not that much different than others who have loved ones that they have to watch suffer through dreadful disease. I can tell you it is extremely sad. I admit I wasn’t this sensitive to it until it affected me personally. However, I have always tried to be sensitive to others feelings when I speak. I think it was very insensitive of Felder to make that remark. I know there is probably no love lost between him and Glenn, and I can understand him criticizing Glenn. However, he should stick to the facts with his criticism instead of making flippant, snide insults.

As far as the publicity Felder is getting, I am not surprised. He is actively trying to promote his book and I don’t fault him for that. However, this interview was on Fox News. This is one news station that Frey or Henley probably would never grant an interview to, so I took that into account. I believe there are a lot of more credible news outlets here that would probably not give Felder any face time.

Dreamer, I don't know anything about American news stations, so forgive me for my ignorance, but why would Glenn and Don not give an interview to Fox News?

Something else that annoys me about the interview, is that Felder seems to think the Eagles should map out their lives for the whole world to see. So what if the Eagles don't give many interviews? So what if they keep their private issues private? Their music is what the world should be interested in, not their private lives!

And yes, of course Felder would be getting the publicity. That's the way the world has always been - interested in sensationalism. Always ready to bring the super stars down a notch or two. "Kick 'em when they're up/kick 'em when they're down..." Mr Henley, you hit the nail right on the head!

07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
MF, Fox New has the reputation of being a very conservative, sensationalistic, and biased news organization here in the states.

"Kick 'em when they're up/kick 'em when they're down..." is very precise indeed. Let’s just say that Fox News shows up a lot in the new Dirty Laundry backdrop screens at the Eagles live shows now. :wink:

Brooke
07-23-2008, 11:17 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, Brooke, your post really cracked me up!!!

I do my best Mrs F! :lol:

TimothyBFan
07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I watched this yesterday and posted a little about it but now that I have had time to think, I want to add a couple of things.

I'm really glad that the Eagles have not lowered themselves to his level and started slinging mud back at him. I can only imagine how hard it is to listen to the bullsh*t that he is dishing out in the interviews and the book apparently (I have not read the book for this reason-might eventually just to see how bad it really is) and keep your mouth shut. Kudos to them for taking the high road here.

Does anyone else think that the more this Eagles tour goes on and the more successful it is with 99% of the reviews being extremely positive, and the more and more money they are apparently making, that Mr. Felder seems to get more bitter sounding? I mean, even Bill O'Reilly, who has his show on Fox News, couldn't say enough about them on his radio show after seeing them at MSG!

Talk about riding on the wave of 1 song---OMG!! Enough already Don--yes you wrote the music to Hotel California, but have you heard?- the Eagles have had several hits since then that they have ALL written!! Get over yourself-and would it kill you to correct an interviewer every once and a while and tell them it was a collaboration???

Just who is he trying to convince anyways? The real serious fans know who wrote the songs and who this band could not live without. PLEASE!!! And lets face it, even the not so serious fans can tell you who Don Henley, Glenn Frey or Joe Walsh are (or have a pretty good idea anyways -oh and sorry Timmy!) but I'd be willing to put $$ on the fact that a lot of them really didn't know that Mr. Felder was even in the band or who he is.

Sorry I have gone on and on but this is just my honest opinion!

Freypower
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
MF, Fox New has the reputation of being a very conservative, sensationalistic, and biased news organization here in the states.

"Kick 'em when they're up/kick 'em when they're down..." is very precise indeed. Let’s just say that Fox News shows up a lot in the new Dirty Laundry backdrop screens at the Eagles live shows now. :wink:

Thank you Dreamer. The esteemed Fox Network is owned by my wonderful countryman, Mr R. Murdoch. My husband said the only time he ever tried to watch Fox News he thought it was a spoof because it was extreme right wing and hysterical to the point of self parody. And then he realised.... Fox News is perfect for the promotion of sensational tabloid 'exposes' such as Felder's.

And Soda, thank you for explaining that Felder laughed after using the word 'bipolar'. This does not excuse it, in my opinion, but I feel slightly better about it knowing it apparently was not meant literally. I said SLIGHTLY. I also have no doubt that Irving has taken note of this.

Felder needs to be careful he doesn't start revealing stuff that was part of the settlement's confidentiality agreement. I suspect the 'CFO' thing was part of that. It isn't common knowledge that Glenn is 'president' and Don is 'secretary' of the company (Felder does mention that in the book, so I am giving nothing away there).

I agree about 'riding on one song'. Sadly, that is all Felder has. That is his choice. He had 14 years, and he's now had 7 years, to prove himself as a musician, and aside from Airborne, he has not done so.

Regarding the 'people will fall for this' line MF said, sadly there are a lot of people out there, 'casual fans', who don't know anything much about the Eagles, and especially Glenn, and will just think 'oh, I never liked Glenn Frey anyway and I always thought Don Henley was the only one with any talent. Gee, Don Felder says so, so it must be true'.

Glennsallnighter
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I only got to watch the interview and read everyone's comments this evening, and so have very little to add. I really do concur with everything that has been said already. I studied the pathology of Bipolar Depression in the 80's in college, and as Dreamer says it is a serious illness. It has a defined pathology which requires certain types of treatment. There is no way that Glenn :heart: is bipolar and to say so belittles those who DO suffer from it.
As MF said, so many people forget that it was originally Glenn :heart: 's band with Don H the strongest partner. They have probably done the most for the band in terms of writing music and lyrics. I'm not saying it was exclusive, but IMHO if they have done a lot more work, then they deserve a higher cut of the dough!!
I'm sure Glenn :heart: 's and Don's families have heard criticism and comments before. They know their men and and have learned to accept comments like these with a pinch of salt. I'm not saying that they don't feel for them, when they are made but I can't see them losing sleep over them either.
And as for the pics................. :lol: and not in a good way!!

07-23-2008, 11:15 PM
BTW - I also did not think Felder meant it literally when he made the "bipolar" remark, but there are some people who may take it that way. Either way, what kind of person would take such an insensitive and tasteless cheap shot! It's one thing to say things about someone in a private conversation, but to make a comment like this publicly is very disgusting to me.

And FP, you are right - it is your own Rupert Murdoch that owns the Fox News Channel - the same Rupert Murdoch that Don dedicates 'Dirty Laundry' to in the F1 DVD. And your statement that "Fox News is perfect for the promotion of sensational tabloid 'exposes' such as Felder's" is right on.

Maleah
07-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Personally I'm not impressed with ANY of the news stations out there as most are into "sensationalism." I've started reading the newspaper again. lol

He reminds me of the Dixie Chicks. When the big ordeal happened with them, it would have gotten over a lot faster if they didn't keep bringing it up themselves. With Don......he has to keep complaining about how "horrible" life was with the Eagles and how "the gods" treated him because if he didn't absolutely NO ONE would care what he has to say. If he keeps bringing up the negatives at least he has all the gossips and naysayers following what he has to say. :roll:

Mrs Frey
07-24-2008, 03:10 AM

Thanks for this insight, Dreamer. I must say, though, that "conservative, sensationalistic" seems an oxymoron to me! :lol: In all seriousness, I can't stand sensationalism - I wrote a letter to a newspaper back in 1992 after yet another mud-slinging book was written about John Lennon, voicing my disgust. It seems nothing has changed in the last 16 years. :evil:

Maleah
07-24-2008, 03:17 AM
lol It sounds funny to me too Mrs. F. :P

If we're being honest, it's not just conservative news stations that are "sensationalists." Like I said in my previous post, nearly every news program I turn to is talking about the same subjects. Come to think of it....I don't even really read newspapers either. I'm sick of "news" all together.lol

Freypower
07-24-2008, 06:58 PM
'That ain't what's goin' on
Journalism's dead and gone'....

:applause: