PDA

View Full Version : Longbranch Pennywhistle days question

Scarlet Sun
07-29-2008, 11:06 AM
In his time in L.A. before he was hired by Linda Ronstadt, how did Glenn get by? Was he living off a work-for-hire publishing deal, or did he have a day job? I've always had this romantic notion that it was the former, and that he pretty much just hung out all the time for a couple of years . . .

Ive always been a dreamer
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
SS - from everything I've read and heard, I don't believe Glenn ever had a 'day job'. I believe he survived on whatever income that he had from his recording contract and/or gigs that he played. I guess he "got by with a little help" from his friends and family whenever the cash ran low. :wink:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if any of the guys ever had a 'day job'. Anyone got any thoughts or info about this???

sodascouts
07-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I've heard that he'd rather have gone back to Detroit than wind up pumping gas somewhere in order to get by. So yeah, a hand-to-mouth existence based on his small income from musical quarters and the kindness of friends was how he fed and housed himself in those days (not that he didn't contribute when he could). I've also heard he rarely had to pay for his own drinks; he just charmed people into buying them for him. lol

I've never heard about any of the other guys having one, no. Don talks about jobs back in Texas but not about what happened when he got to LA, as far as I know. Same for the other guys. Anyone who's read differently, please enlighten me!

Scarlet Sun
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Felder wrote in his book that he briefly had one when he first got to L.A.

As for Glenn and the rest, yeah, i've always assumed that they didn't have day jobs. From everything i've read, it seems like it was possible in those days to live in LA or NY and get by as a struggling musician, on $50 a month or so. That must have been great. No wonder music was so good in those days - musicians had so much time to devote to what they really wanted to do.

sodascouts
07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
From everything i've read, it seems like it was possible in those days to live in LA or NY and get by as a struggling musician, on $50 a month or so. That must have been great.

That wouldn't even buy 'em a tank of gas these days. :sigh:

Ive always been a dreamer
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Felder wrote in his book that he briefly had one when he first got to L.A.

That's right, I remember that. He may have the distinction of being the only Eagle that ever held down a job! :wink: :D