PDA

View Full Version : Moncton, NB, Canada 08-02-08

GlennLover
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry I am so late posting but I didn't get home until 4:00AM after a 3 hr wait in line to get the shuttle from the concert site to our car & then a 2 hour drive home :zzz: . I'll be brief here & post a full review later today or tomorrow.

Despite the above , the concert was worth EVERY penny & inconvenience. You guys were right :!: I was in heaven for every second that they were on the stage. :angel: The word FANTASTIC does not come close to describing their performance!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :blueblob: :blueblob: :blueblob: They were really up for the show, especially Glenn :smitten: (to my obvious delight)! :inlove: My only disappointment with the show itself - it was tooooooo short :!: I was afraid that we would get a shortened version as this was a Festival, but they did play for 2 hours without a break. The only LROOE song that they did was How Long, :( but as far as I can remember they did all the rest of the current concert set :yay: . I'll have to look at their regular tour set list to compare.

I must go drool over my program some more & have another nap (or listen to some Eagles music :lol: ). Stay tuned for my impressions & details later. I'll try to go through the concert song by song. Glad I have such devoted fellow fans to share this experience with. :D .

By the way - Eagles :iloveyou: , and after last night - Glenn Frey, I :inlove: you even more!!!!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow GL - thanks for getting back to us. I take it from your post that you liked the show. :wink: :wink:

You may have gotten the same set list that they did in Myrtle Beach since it seems to have been a shorter show. Well, rest up and come back with more details when you get a chance. Look forward to hearing more.

Glennsallnighter
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Sounds like you had a great night GL! I'm glad too that Glenn had such a great effect on you! It really takes a while to get over these. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Oh and welcome to the Border as well!

glenneaglesfan
08-03-2008, 06:09 PM
GL, I'm so glad that everything lived up to expectations and that you had such a good time. I'm really looking forward to your review, when you've recovered!

Brooke
08-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, Gl, thanks for the bits & pieces and can't wait to hear 'the rest of the story'!

Welcome to The Border, too! Glad you found us! :D

GlennLover
08-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Everyone. I don't have much time tonight but & I didn't think I could get into this part of the site earlier in the week. However, I will start my review of the Moncton show.

The crews started setting up for the Eagles after John Fogarty finished his set, around 8:30. He was very good. Did a lot of old CCR stuff. You could sense the anticipation in the crowd as the crew was nearing completion. By 9:00 darkness had set in. There was a bit of mist in the air which created a bit of a mysterious aura. The stage went dark all of a sudden & the crowd roared. As the 1st notes of How Long started the crowd went wild. The lights came up & there they were! I could hardly believe that this was the Eagles actually there in person before my eyes. :yay: HL was great. Take It To the Limit followed. It was at this point that my fear that we would get the "Festival Set" was realized, but it did not dampen my enthusiasm.

The lights went out after every song while they changed their instruments & positions on stage as necessary. Suddenly, booming out of the darkness after TITTL we heard a very sexy voice say "Good Evening". More cheering. It was Glenn of course :inlove: . The lights came up & he said "We are the Eagles & we are delighted to be here in the largest city in New Brunswick! He put huge emphasis on "delighted". The concert promoter had joked earlier when introducing another act that the concert site was officially the "largest city" on Saturday (over 55,000 in attendance). Glenn went on to say that they had never been in this part of the country before & that the scenery was beautiful. He continued saying "We'll cut the chatter so we can play as many songs as possible for you tonight".

As the trumpet intro to Hotel California started the crowd again went wild. They sang along to every song. All were performed with perfection. I was too enthralled :drool: to remember the exact order of the set list between this time & the encores so in my next post I will list the songs in the order as near as I can recall & elaborate on the highlights. They rocked through the entire concert. :partytime: I don't think any one song was better than another.

Oh, before I sign off for now - in case you were wondering :?: they did wear the suits. I like them but I would like to see them in jeans as well.

Till next time (hopefully tomorrow). I'm still flying high. Eagles :iloveyou:

TimothyBFan
08-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks GlennLover -Great review and looking forward to hearing more. Glad you had such a great time and enjoy riding the "high" from it for awhile.

Mrs Henley
08-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks GlennLover! Indeed a great review! Glad you enjoyed the concert! :)

glenneaglesfan
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
GL, that was a wonderful review, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment! I'm with you on the suits - they look wonderful, but I think they and the audience would chill out even more if they relaxed into their jeans and shirts for the second half.

As that for that sexy voice, here it is again introducing the band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpHe0K409ko

There are a few more links to tracks from that evening linked, including this version of HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBG3ZTvSxuY

Glennsallnighter
08-08-2008, 06:01 PM
As that for that sexy voice, here it is again introducing the band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpHe0K409ko

Oh GEF, I could listen to that sexy voice all night!! :inlove:

sodascouts
08-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for posting these, DF. When I get some time I will post links to them onto DHO. It's just with everything happening I haven't had the opportunity to do it myself. :(

glenneaglesfan
08-09-2008, 08:46 AM
A nice review of the Moncton show here:

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/374094

Moncton spoiled by great concerts
Published Monday August 4th, 2008
Rod Allen

We haven't had that spirit here since 2005.

The fact that was only three years ago might suggest we are all getting a bit spoiled after an awe-inspiring performance by The Eagles out on 'the Hill' Saturday night.

Spoiled and maybe a little prideful too.

How can we not be, after every imaginable weather condition that would suggest we were all gonna drown failed to produce anything but the finest, lightest and most refreshing of mists just as the band bade us farewell with 'Desperado?'

Nonetheless, I do believe the City of Moncton and Donald Tarlton of DKD Productions can be forgiven a little 'hubris' if they think that even the weather gods now evidently believe in this city's destiny as a long-needed entertainment capital for Atlantic Canada.

Not to suggest that there aren't still a few adjustments to be made for future concerts, which seem easily accomplished on a day of total victory such as this one.

These are about reconciling concertgoing rules that were developed in the United States for crowds that are less "well behaved" -- to borrow a phrase from Eagles heart-and-soul musician Glen Frey -- than what he witnessed here.

Strict rules prohibiting the carrying-in of food, cameras or chairs seem ridiculous after passing through a check-point under which we could have easily smuggled in a roast beef dinner for six, complete with Yorkshire pudding, and particularly ridiculous after watching one clever group of fans puff up some easily-concealed inflatable chairs and watch the show in complete comfort while others sprawled in the mud.

The same can be said for the silly system of requiring fans to wait in one inordinately long line-up to buy tickets, which must be exchanged after another inordinately long line-up wait for the actual food.

And as for the music, I thought The Eagles (with the exception of the wonderful Joe Walsh) could have done a little better at verbally engaging the crowd.

But as I've stated, these and other shortcomings dwindle to nothing in the enormity of the overall Magnetic Hill Music Festival, and that includes the 'larger performance' by The Eagles.

Veteran concertgoers 'get it' when band members send out subtle signals that they want very badly to impress and entertain the crowd.

Forgoing their usual plaid shirts, Frey and the rest of the frontmen arrived like a presidential entourage right after John Fogerty in a motorcade of huge, jet-black SUVs and mounted the stage immediately, dressed to the nines in a kind of David Palmerish style with ties and dark jackets.

Every single song they played, without a flaw, reflected the same respect for the crowd.

And though he didn't actually smile as far as I know, Don Henley appeared to acknowledge the crowd's roaring approval with what I thought was a rather light facial expression which reputedly for him, passes as manic, leap-out-of-your seat joy.

So a big fat thank-you to The Eagles, the wonderful performance by Creedence Clearwater Revival creator John Fogerty, to British rocker KT Tunstall and to Canada's own Sam Roberts Band.

A big fat thank-you also to all the folks living around the rim of the Hill's natural amphitheatre, who set off a fireworks show all night long that must have cost them either a king's ransom or a pair of VIP tickets.

A big fat thank you also to (preliminary reports to the contrary) a crowd of about 55,000 people for singing along to all the songs, sometimes I'm sure loud enough to be heard in Halifax.

And the biggest, fattest thank-you of all to the Saint John couple who sat beside us and brimmed with praise for Moncton for pulling off this show.

"We should do something like this in Saint John," he told us, "except there, everybody would be infighting and arguing and it would never happen."

I don't really know anything about that and, in any case, our sister city to the west has its own fine destiny unfolding these days with a series of huge energy projects looming on the horizon.

Saturday's show makes me optimistic for all of Atlantic Canada, where all our cities seem poised for a stronger economic future.

The Metro Moncton area, which continues to reinvent itself as it has always done, is also poised to take it own unique place in that future and the Hill is a big new part of that.

Let us entertain you.

glenneaglesfan
08-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Another great review, with a photo.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/373920

Eagles fans 'take it easy' at Magnetic Hill concert
By Alan Cochrane

MONCTON - As the opening piano notes of Desperado echoed through the foggy mist over the Magnetic Hill concert site, a sea of lighters and glow sticks rose up from the crowd of more than 50,000 to guide Don Henley home.

While the legendary Eagles singer stood motionless on the stage, singing about a cowboy who should come in from the rain and find his true love, the concert site seemed united in tranquility.

All around the stage, fans hugged each other, swayed to the beat and sang along to the somber, haunting classic that closed a two-hour performance by the Eagles.

The famous song put a lid on a long and emotional day of stomping through the mud, enduring long lines for food and washroom breaks, and enjoying a lineup of musical acts that appealed to everyone from teenagers to golden-agers.

"That was a magic moment," said Cassie Easton of Saint John, wiping tears from her eyes and hugging her mom, Brenda. "That was so awesome, I can't believe it."

For Cassie and the more than 50,000 others gathered at the hill Saturday, it was a show reminiscent of the Rolling Stones concert three years ago. It was the latest instalment in what promoter Donald Tarlton promises will become an annual and international event.

City of Moncton parks and recreation manager Ian Fowler said he was pleased with this year's show, despite some minor problems.

He said mud on the site, communication difficulties among event staff and other "minor glitches" would be worked on as the city moves toward next year's event.

There were rumblings backstage Saturday that an announcement for the 2009 music festival could come within a few weeks.

Although final numbers weren't available Sunday, Fowler said there were more than 50,000 people at the site.

And he was happy to note that this year's concert had the highest walk-in crowd with 1,500 tickets sold at the on-site box office just before the show.

Promoters had expected a big walk-in crowd, with the weather being the deciding factor for many people who put off ticket purchases until the last minute.

Fans of the Eagles, John Fogerty, K.T. Tunstall and the Sam Roberts Band came from all over New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I., Newfoundland, Quebec, the southern United States and elsewhere to be part of the big party.

And aside from a few medical emergencies, a couple of fights and traffic snarls, the event went smoothly with everyone getting in and out with few delays or problems.

The biggest worry was the weather. Heavy rain fell over Moncton early Saturday morning. Grey clouds hung over the concert site through the day but never resulted in more than a light shower or mist.

At 7 p.m., as the clouds brought a light mist to the concert site, legendary performer John Fogerty rocked and blasted his way through a 90-minute set that consisted mainly of hits from his days with Creedence Clearwater Revival.

"Y'all remind me a lot of Woodstock," said Fogerty, recalling the famous festival held in upstate New York nearly 40 years ago that set the bar for outdoor concerts.

"We had a lot goin' on at Woodstock. Everybody got naked and then I went home and wrote this song," he said before launching into Who'll Stop The Rain.

The Eagles appeared on stage later without introduction, catching many people who had gone off in search of another beer, some food or a safe route to the potties off guard. They launched directly into their latest hit, How Long, from the new album Long Road Out of Eden, bringing a rousing welcome from the crowd. Dressed in dark suits, white shirts and dark ties, the Eagles and a multi-piece virtual orchestra rolled through a two-hour set of their greatest hits from a musical career spanning 40 years.

The performance was rousing, romantic and subdued. Couples caressed and slow-danced during love songs like Take It To the Limit, then stood silently and expectantly as a trumpet played the haunting introduction to Hotel California.

The crowd sang along through such well-known classics as Peaceful Easy Feeling, I Can't Tell You Why, Witchy Woman, Lying Eyes and One of These Nights.

Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Timothy B. Schmit each took their turn singing lead before turning the microphone over to Joe Walsh for his '70s hits Walk Away and In The City. Henley then performed his solo '80s hit Boys of Summer, followed by The Long Run.

After Frey introduced the members of the band, Walsh returned with a video camera on his head to get the crowd going during his classic solo hit, Life's Been Good, This was followed by another Henley solo tune, Dirty Laundry, and Walsh's oldie-but-goodie Funk 49.

glenneaglesfan
08-09-2008, 09:02 AM
And one more!

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/newstoday/article/374029

Eagles create lasting Moncton memories
By Alan Lewis

Band relies on music, not showmanship, to rock Magnetic Hill

It was the moment that more than 50,000 people were waiting for. When the four members of the Eagles and their backing band took the stage, Magnetic Hill -- "the biggest city in New Brunswick," as Eagles member Glenn Frey referred to it -- lit up.

The band opened with all four key members -- Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmidt -- front and centre. Frey, Henley and Walsh each strummed guitars while Schmidt played bass for the opening track How Long. Interestingly, it was the only song played Saturday from the band's latest album, Long Road Out of Eden.

A mid-tempo acoustic tune, How Long was followed by the band's classic Take It To The Limit, which made at least one concertgoer a happy camper.

"I went to Toronto to see the Eagles in 1994, and I'm still not over the fact they didn't sing Take It To The Limit that night," says Stephanie Gaudette of Penobsquis. "I couldn't not come after going to great lengths to get there in '94. I figured they were in my backyard, I had to go. I thought then that was my one and only chance."

Gaudette got her wish on Saturday, as did thousands of others.

Even the skeptical couldn't deny the power of Hotel California, the third song in the set. Opened with a short trumpet solo, when the album cover graphic from Hotel California hit the big screen and Joe Walsh began plucking those first opening notes, the crowd went ballistic.

"I really didn't care if I heard Hotel California ever again," says Andrew LeBlanc of Riverview. "But hearing it live was awesome," he relented.

Don Henley took his rightful place behind the drum kit for Hotel California, arguably the band's biggest hit.

The band continued through a few other peaceful, easy tunes including I Can't Tell You Why, led by Schmidt, Witchy Woman and Lyin' Eyes.

It wasn't until Walsh led the band on his 1971 hit Walk Away that the band's set really livened up.

Walsh, the showman of the group, walked along the crowd with a camera in his hat, waving to the crowd. Those in front of the stage waved back and were broadcast on the four big screens at the site for all to see.

Walsh later issued an apology to the "young people" in the crowd.

"I have to apologize to all the young people here," he said. "You had to grow up with your parents playing this song all the time. And now you're going to hear it again!"

And with that, the band kicked into Walsh's solo hit Life's Been Good, to which many sang along.

The band also played other members' solo hits, including Henley's Boys of Summer and All She Wants To Do Is Dance.

Henley and Schmidt were all business throughout the show, with Frey doing most of the between-song banter and Walsh hamming it up with the crowd at every opportunity.

The classic hits continued with The Long Run, Funk #49 and Take It Easy along among others.

When the band kicked into Heartache Tonight, followed by Life In The Fast Lane, toward the end of their set, the crowd was singing and dancing along to every note.

For Keith McAlpine, it was his second time seeing the band. The Scotsman who now resides in Fredericton saw the group in 1977 in Glasgow, Scotland.

"They're very similar," he says, comparing the two shows which were over 30 years apart. "There wasn't a lot of chatter (at the first show), like this one, just music."

Shawn and Joanne Hearn of Fredericton also enjoyed the show.

"I didn't realize how many of their songs I knew," Joanne said just after the band finished their set, which included a long encore.

The Eagles didn't have a fancy stage show and they weren't particularly energetic or showy on stage, except for some brief moments where Walsh goofed with the crowd and Frey danced to Henley's All She Wants To Do Is Dance.

But one can't deny the songs they played or how they played them. The harmonies in Hotel California were simply stunning.

Schmidt's vocal turn on I Can't Tell You Why, almost impossibly high at times, was impressive.

Walsh showed off his guitar chops, out-guitaring Frey in a little duel midway through the show.

The band's backing band also deserves credit. If you didn't know it, you might swear you were hearing several of the tunes played over a giant stereo instead of being played by a live band.

If you wanted some great, timeless classic rock, played by pros, you wanted to be at Magnetic Hill this past weekend.

Mrs Henley
08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
WooHoo thanks GEF! :D

TimothyBFan
08-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Kind of a mixed bag of reviews I think. In one respect they seem to think they sound great but I certainly don't agree with the 1st reviewer about Don never smiling, etc... Sounds like he has to TRY to find fault for some reason. Again-I'm pretty much less than happy with the reviews.

GlennLover
08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I'll post a few short comments here as a rebuttle to the reviews & try to get back with Part 2 of my review later tonight.

Don seemed embarassed by the long, loud applause after he was introduced. He waved his drumsticks at the crowd as much as to say "stop, this is too much, I don't deserve this". His smile looked almost coy, as if he was shy (although we know he's not). :laugh: He did smile other times too.

Last week at work I discovered that quite a few of my co-workers went to the concert as well. Everyone thought that they were awesome. No one had anything negative to say about their performance. Afterall, they're the EAGLES :!: We know that thy don't talk alot to the crowd. People are there to hear their music. Probably only us die hard fans are interested in hearing them talk very much. As I said in Part 1 of my review, Glenn said that they were going to keep the chatter to a minimum so they could play as many songs as possible. I think that their agreement for the concert probably was to play for 2 hours - and play they did. They have always been criticized for being "too perfect", but as Don said on F1, "I don't see that as a bad thing, necessarily".

Anyway, EAGLES :iloveyou: :!: I'll be back with more later.

Glennsallnighter
08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I agree with what you say GL! Any of us who have been to the gigs know what to expect from the lads. I think some critics are trying to find excuses to be negative and make negative comments about the band. Let a real fan do a review I say!

Looking forward to your next part GL

And I love your av :D

08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the latest installment of your review, GL. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. It is interesting that they included TITTL. I love the non-acoustic version of the song much better.

And gef, thanks so much for posting all of those reviews. I think some critics forget that their reviews are supposed to be all about the the band and make it more about themselves. They are trying so hard to prove that they can write - they are just too busy being literate. :wink: :D

DonFan
08-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Don seemed embarassed by the long, loud applause after he was introduced. He waved his drumsticks at the crowd as much as to say "stop, this is too much, I don't deserve this". His smile looked almost coy, as if he was shy (although we know he's not). :laugh:

Aww, how cute. I love it.

Thanks for posting your experience and all the reviews. Great reading!

GlennLover
08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Finally, Moncton concert review Part 2. Sorry I am so late in getting this done. Usually I was on the computer every night reading the new Border posts but since I joined it seems something keeps coming up to prevent me from logging on :scowl: . Anyway, better late than never. :yay:

You have probably read most of the set list from the reviews & as I wouldn't take my eyes off the stage for a second to make note of the order of the songs, I'll just report on the special moments that I remember. All songs were flawlessly performed!

I must comment on the hair. Joe's is getting quite long. Don's looked the same as it has for awhile, a bit reddish & quite short. Timothy's was quite kinky & a bit fuzzy. It may have been from the dampness. Glenn's started out very neat but the damp air was obviously making it wavier as the night progressed :D . Very HS&G. :nahnah:

-When Glenn & Joe did their "dueling guitars" bit & Glenn (pretended that he) couldn't duplicate Joe's last riff, he threw his hands in the air, waving them around & he was shaking his head, all with great exaggeration. Much more reaction than I had seen in previous clips of this.

-When Don came out to sing "The Long Run" he said "How are you all doing? Sing along with this one, it has become our theme song", as usual.

-During "Life's been Good" when Joe sang "They send me letters, tell me Glenn's great", Glenn shrugged his shoulders, again in a very exaggerated fashion. He seemed to be really feeding off the crowd's enthusiasm.

After Joe sang "I have a limo, ride in the back. I lock the doors and -", you could tell that he was searching for some new & clever words, but when nothing came to him he blurted out "ride in the back" & sort of laughed at himself & gave an "oh well, I tried" gesture. :lol:

-I loved it when Glenn introduced Don as his "friend since 1971". So did the crowd. (See YouTube clip that was posted earlier by Glenneaglesfan).

-Joe really reved up the crowd with his performances of his solo songs.

-Glenn danced twice on ASWTDID & the crowd cheered :yay: :yay:

-There was only one encore but they did the usual 4 songs:

Rocky Mountain Way & ASWTDID. Glenn then asked "Do you want to hear a couple more?" Loud applause from audience followed & they played - what else but my alltime favourite song - Take It Easy. Glenn cupped his hand behind his ear, as if to listen to the crowd, as an invitation for us to sing along. The crowd was singing every song that they played anyway :!:

I am posting this as I am afraid I will loose it. I will continue with the conclusion in next post ASAP.

GlennLover
08-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Part 2 con't

We then heard the opening chords of Desperado & as Don sang, this crowd of all ages, I'm sure, felt the magic of not just that song, but of the entire performance. We all knew that this was a night to remember & that we had been treated to a superb performance by one of the greatest bands of all time :D (The greatest band as far as we are concerned, right?)

After Desperado the band spent a long time on stage, walking back & forth & waving. There was a closeup of Glenn on the screens for quite some time as he bid us adieu saying "We wish you luck. Drive home careful". He mouthed thank you over & over & waved & waved. He seemed to be almost overwhelmed & it may have been just my imagination as a devoted Glenn Lover, but he looked to me like he was near tears. All four of them seemed to be moved by the love & respect that the crowd was sending them.

Just before they left the stage, Glenn walked over to Joe, who was the closest to him, & put his arm around his shoulders & hugged him. (It is so obvious that these guys can't stand each other :wink: :wink: )

Timothy was the last to leave the stage. He was paying particular attention to the fans nearest the side of the stage where he had stood most of the night. As he started to walk off he turned back, stopped, took off his tie, walked to that same side of the stage & threw the tie into the audience as a show of appreciation. What a nice guy!

As a side note, I was sitting in the stadium seating (bleechers), that was set up perpendicular to each side of the stage, with the rest of the Baby Boomers. These were the VIP seats as we needed to sit. There was no other seating. Everyone else had to stand or sit on the grass/mud. One of the girls that I work with, who is a lot younger than me & who sat on the grass between the bleechers, said that it was so neat to look up at the patrons in the bleechers & watch everybody in both of these stadium sections swaying & bopping in unison to the music. How could we not? Their music does that to you.

All in all - a night that I will never forget :!: :!: what a wonderful & uplifting experience. :yay: :blueblob: :yay: :blueblob:

TimothyBFan
08-12-2008, 07:16 AM
OHHH-If only I could be so lucky to be the one to catch Timmy's tie if he ever tosses one my way! :P

Prettymaid
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
[quote="GlennLover"]Part 2 con't

We all knew that this was a night to remember & that we had been treated to a superb performance by one of the greatest bands of all time

Well said, GL. That's the magic of going to a concert of your favorite artists. I'm still waiting for the magic with the Eagles (Sept. 24), but being a big Beatles fan also I can relate, as that's the way I felt when I saw Paul McCartney live. After I saw Paul I said the only other concert I need to go to before I die is The Eagles. Now I'm getting my chance and I can't wait!

TimothyBFan
08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
That's the magic of going to a concert of your favorite artists. I'm still waiting for the magic with the Eagles (Sept. 24), After I saw Paul I said the only other concert I need to go to before I die is The Eagles. Now I'm getting my chance and I can't wait!

Well stated Prettymaid--I have been saying that for years, and I also will get the chance on Sept 24th. If my old heart can't take it, at least I will die with a great big smile on my face!! :P :P :P :P

Brooke
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Wonderful follow up reviews there, GL! I felt like I was there! :yay:

And it's making me anxious for Sept. 20 when I will get my turn to see this tour. :pace:

Btw, TIE is also my alltime favorite song! It just makes you feel good, doesn't it! :D

08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the second part of the review, GL - it was a great read. I am really so thrilled for those of you who are seeing the guys live for the first time. I can remember my first live Eagles concert and it was such an awesome experience. I know all of you will have a blast. Actually, even if it isn't your first Eagles concert, it will still be an awesome experience and you will have a blast. :wink: :D

Glennsallnighter
08-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Great review GL! Seems that the lads were having a great time and enjoyed feeding off the crowd's enthusiasm. I can't wait to see them again. They truly ARE the greatest band in the world!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GlennLover
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone.

Brooke, TIE really does make me feel GREAT every time I hear it :D & this happened from the time it was 1st released & I had no clue who the Eagles were & what they looked like :!: Glad it's your favourite too.

Prettymaid, it's funny you should mention that seeing the Eagles live was the only other concert that you had to see before you die. My husband said to me that this was one of the things that I had to do before I die. I never thought about it that way, but he was right.

Eagles :iloveyou: :band:

Mrs Henley
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
OH GL!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D Fantastic review thank you so much!

Oh and they are the greatest band ever, for sure!

ke62035
08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Great review GlennLover.

I was one of those standing on the ground, but me and my kids were lucky enought to be in the front row, hanging onto to the stage rail!!

Regarding Timothy throwing his tie, it looked like he was going to, but he clearly changed his mind and took it off stage with him. We were all ready to grab it! Too bad.

Mrs Henley
08-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info ke62035! and welcome to the Border! Glad you joined us! :D

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Welcome from me too Ke62035! I'm glad you had a good time! Pity Timmy changed his mind!

ke62035
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, the best part was when a girl dove onto the stage and almost got to Timothy! Several people had been passing out, and were 'delivered' to the front of the stage where the security would pull them over the fence and help them off to the first aid tent. This girl looked like she had passed out and was being helped by two secuirty guys. All of a sudden she broke away and dove for the stage towards Timothy. She was laying on the stage on her tummy with her legs hanging off. The surprised security guys promptly pullled her off and escorted her away.

Timothy look a little surprised, but then smiled at her and gave a little nod. Joe noticed too and said something to Glen with a big smile. It was during 'Heartache Tonight'. Nobody else I've spoken to saw this....could have been interesting!!

TimothyBFan
08-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok -I confess--It was me!!!! :twisted: :twisted: Ok--not really but definitely sounds like something I would think about tho-but wouldn't have the guts to do!!

GlennLover
08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
I didn't see this either. I was too far away in the bleechers on the side furthest away from Timothy (and Glenn) :( . That's probably why it looked to me like Timothy threw his tie. Ke62035, you were some lucky to be so close to them. I thought about leaving the bleechers to try & get closer in front of the stage but I was afraid that I would get down there & not be able to see as I am quite "vertically challenged" :lol: . I really envy you. :jealous: Thanks for reporting on the concert happenings that I missed.

Prettymaid
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Ok -I confess--It was me!!!! :twisted: :twisted: Ok--not really but definitely sounds like something I would think about tho-but wouldn't have the guts to do!!

Not until September 24th, Willie! Then we'll have to hold you back!

glenneaglesfan
08-14-2008, 05:55 AM
GL, thank you for your great reviews and so glad that you had such a wonderful time! :D

ke62035, that story about the girl is really funny! Thanks for sharing your comments and welcome to the Border!

TBF, not long now!!

sodascouts
08-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Now that I've had a chance to carefully read Don's excellent Q&A, I have some specific comments to make:

Touring has always been mentally and physically draining, regardless of how it's done. That's just the nature of the beast. No matter how glamourous and exciting it may look from the outside, it's hard, gruelling work and it takes its toll. Still, it beats the hell out of a 9 to 5 gig. All of us in this band, even in our worst, weariest moments, are deeply grateful for what we have. We've been extremely fortunate - but we've also found that the harder we work, the luckier we get.

The daily schedule is a bit different for each of us. The goal, on the road, is to sleep in for as long as possible because we work primarily at night and we need our energy to peak then. However, no matter how late we went to sleep, most of us are up well before noon because of our other job - parenting. Also, there is a lot of band business that must be addressed in the daytime. I start my day with a good, strong cup of coffee and then go to my laptop where there are dozens of e-mails waiting. I initially check in with my own office and then I check in the with the Eagles' management office in LA. On a typical day, I will exchange 30 or 40 e-mails and phone calls with our manager, plus more e-mails to family, friends, my charities, etc. If we are on the road, I go to the hotel gym in the early afternoon and spend about two hours there doing aerobics, weights, stretching, etc. The band usually leaves the hotel at mid-afternoon to go to the venue. Soundcheck normally begins at 4 p.m. Dinner for band and crew begins at 5 p.m.

We all have our own, personal rituals that we do in our dressing rooms before every show. Timothy and Joe do voice exercises. I ride my stationary bike for half an hour and do a little more stretching. Glenn often takes a nap or watches a sporting event on TV to relax. He's very knowledgeable about sports; he's an avid golfer. Most shows begin at 8:15 p.m. because we like to wait until all the audience members have found their seats.

I love hear about the personal rituals of the band! And who knew that Don spent so much time at the computer? I love that he admits that, no matter how grueling the touring is, it still is better than a 9-to-5! It shows he's still grounded.

We're getting along just fine, thank you. But even when we're not getting along, even when there is turmoil within the band or the organization, we don't take it onstage with us. Our job is to give the fans the best performance that we are capable of, so we make every effort to leave our personal problems behind - at least for the three hours that we are performing. That's an important aspect of being a professional - not bringing your problems to work with you. The fans expect and deserve our best - every night. Our problems should never be their problems.

Well said!

The Internet - the digital revolution - has changed everything and soon there will probably be no more CDs - no physical product to hold in your hands. But music - the good, the bad and the ugly - will continue, although it appears that, in the near future, no one will get paid for writing and recording it. The only way a professional musician will be able to make a living will be in live performance - and that's certainly going to weed out a lot of the fakers. The teeny-bop acts and the talent-less rock bands will continue to come and go. They'll get their 15 minutes in the limelight, but eventually the public decides what is real and meaningful and what isn't. You can't fake it for very long.

There was an article (http://gawker.com/5042901/artists-vs-itunes-fight-for-your-right-to-suck) recently about music from iTunes, and how little acts like the Eagles were getting royalty-wise from it. The quote:

"Irving Azoff, the manager of numerous high-profile acts including the Eagles (http://gawker.com/tag/the-eagles/), says that a few years ago he presented the band with a financial analysis showing that their royalties to date from iTunes sales were far lower than anyone expected.

Guitarist Glenn Frey did some back-of-the-envelope math of his own. 'His comment was that it amounted to 39 minutes on stage in Kansas City,' Mr. Azoff recalls with a chuckle."

Don's "weed out the fakes" is an interesting spin on the effect of digital downloads on the music industry - the first positive one I've seen in a while! I do think he might be exaggerating about it being impossible for musicians to make money from writing and recording songs in the future. Maybe not as MUCH money as the Eagles make, but enough to live on, I imagine!

While love songs, of one kind or another, make up the bulk of our material, we do occasionally venture into socio-political territory, but we don't delude ourselves about influencing public opinion. We're just basically reporting; we're reflecting our culture and people can make of it what they will. We're not trying to tell them what to think or how to live their lives. We don't have that kind of influence.

How refreshing!

As battered and corrupt as it is, planet Earth is still a miraculous, awe-inspiring place, floating in an unfathomable universe. But I don't think people look up very much anymore. We all seem to be preoccupied with ourselves and our earthly issues, as petty as many of them are. I wish that every person on Earth could travel up to the International Space Station and look down at this little, blue planet. The human race needs a new perspective.

Amen to that.

After this tour - more touring. We will do this as long as people want to come and see us. There will be some solo projects, if time allows, but, right now, the Eagles come first.

More Eagles, more solo (if there's time) - YES!!!!

We want our fans to know how much we appreciate them and how grateful we are for all the years of support. They are the reason that we continue to do what we do.

Aw, how sweet!

What a terrific interview.