PDA

View Full Version : South of Sunset

sodascouts
02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
You guys who have seen this series, what did you think? At first I wasn't too sure what to think, because Aries Spears kind of annoyed me. I found the second episode terrific (it's my favorite), however, and Aries wasn't so over the top. Plus the opening part in his house begins in such an adorable fashion! I think Glenn had funnier lines later on, too, and I liked the inclusion of Merlin the computer geek. I think it certainly deserved more of a chance, but I must admit I can't be too sad it didn't take off. If it had, there would have been no "Hell Freezes Over."

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Perfect Little Sister
02-16-2006, 02:34 PM
It's so funny that you posted this as I just finished watching this yesterday. I nearly killed me. Part of the problem I had watching it is I would see an expression cross Glenn's face and think, "I saw that same look up close!!!!" I enjoyed the later episodes more than the pilot. But as you said if it had taken off we wouldn't have HFO. So I have mixed feelings.

sodascouts
02-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Exactly. I mean, if he's happier acting, you want that for him, but there are a lot of pretty faces that can act. There is no one else that can sing like Glenn Frey.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Freypower
02-16-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't know that he was ever 'happier' acting. I think even if the series had been a success he would have gone back to music.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Perfect Little Sister
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I've said before I think he'd go mad if he tried to leave music behind for good. But I think the whole situation with SOS helped to make the timing right for HFO. But that's just my opinion. I do enjoy seeing other facets of his personality or abilities or whatever you want to call it. (resisting urge to use total packager reference) :D

sodascouts
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, I don't know if he enjoyed it more or not. But I do remember a quote where he talked about how he couldn't play music forever, but he could act forever. It gave the impression that he was willing to throw over music for acting, or at least prioritize acting over music.

~

Freypower
02-18-2006, 01:14 AM
I am going to make some observations on what I have now, finally, seen of SOS, and also Nash Bridges.

I have watched most of the first episode of SOS. I can see why the show failed. It really has nothing to offer which is any different from 100 run of the mill cop shows. I like the black guy, but the female assistant is annoying. The plot relating to the tennis star didn't make a lot of sense.

Glenn looks handsome but he really doesn't have to do much. He looks out of place. It will be interesting to see if his character develops at all, because at the moment there is no 'back story' - nothing about him or how he got into the business. At least Ziggy had an establishing scene.

Some of the humour worked, which I am sure Glenn would appreciate, because he said they were trying for humour. But overall, really, it's a fairly pointless exercise. I don't want to be harsh here, but I don't just want to gush over his face.

In Nash Bridges he did not have sufficient screen time to establish a character or a performance. The tears at the end, while unexpected, are hardly the result of great acting here. Yes, he looks good. They even refer to him being good looking. More than that is needed sometimes.

My favourite of these lesser known jobs is still Arliss because it's very funny and it takes a few sly digs at his 'real' job (including the use of True Love and LITFL). To me if he has any strengths as an actor it's here, with semi-comedy, or Wiseguy, where his knowledge of the music business carries him through.

And as for Moon Zappa hosting the Eagles Family Tree - all I can say is Frank would have been horrified. Or perhaps he would have found it kitschy and appropriate for his Valley Girl daughter. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/ohwell.gif

~~~

Molly
02-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Freypower, you and I watched these episodes with the same critical eye. It would be easy to gush over "how cute" simply because it's Glenn, but these shows make that a bit difficult to do.

The tennis star episode of SOS is certainly not the strongest. Too bad it was used as the first run show. I actually thought Aries Spears was very funny. I've seen his comedy special on Comedy Central and he's very good. Glenn has moments where his character "makes sense", but much of the time the scenes seem disjointed. I dislike shows that tie up all the loose ends in the last 2 minutes as though we're supposed to be sitting at home saying "Oh, now I get it." SOS was one of those shows.

The humor certainly flows through all the episodes, some scenes actually being very clever and funny. It would have been interesting to see if that had been a growing trend with the show, not that it would have become a comedy per se, but as the characters got more established, I think everything would have, again, made more sense.

If anyone can watch the scenes where Glenn is playing basketball in the "hood" without cringing and feeling the need to pinch your eyes shut in an "Oh Lord, no!" fashion - you're tougher than I am. I confess, I did both!

The crying at the end of Nash Bridges - ummm, another cringe moment.

Arli$$ was great. I watched it with the men in my house, and we made it thru half of the show before one of them asked if that was Glenn. Actually I think it was more like, "Oh for crying out loud, are you making us watch Glenn Frey again?"

However, neither one stopped watching and both gave the show and Glenn a thumbs up at the end.

Oh, and Moon Zappa, your dad was amazing, your brothers are amusing, but will you please go far far way and stay there!

sodascouts
02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
I can't believe this reaction to Nash Bridges! I thought he was terrific in that! And I'm not just saying that because I adore Glenn Frey. Seriously! I am astonished.

As far as South of Sunset goes, yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. It wasn't the most awesome show, and the first one was especially weak. The second one had me completely charmed, however, and it wasn't just because Glenn looked good. And The 'hood moments were SUPPOSED to be cringe-worthy because that was the joke! He was supposed to look out of place there.

I can be critical, too. He does look kind of stiff in the first episode, and I can see why the response to it wasn't the best. I think only the second show was consistently good. However, the others all had more good moments than bad in my opinion. For instance, how about that episode where he has to haul that little girl around? How cute was his interaction with her? I loved it. There were weak spots, too, sure, but that's the case with any show.

And an evaluation of Glenn's acting skills is not complete without viewing Wiseguy, where he really shines. I guess I should add an "IMO" after that because I thought he really shined in Nash Bridges too, considering the limited scope of that role. When he said "I'll kill him if he touches my daughter" I believed it.

~

sodascouts
02-18-2006, 03:53 PM
P.S. Cody does get a bit of establishment in the first episode when Paul says Cody used to work security for stars until he got sick of one's attitude and shoved his face into a bowl of stroganoff. It's a fine line between establishing a past for a character and doing an info dump that slows down the pace of the episode.

~

Freypower
02-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Soda, you are right that the role in Nash Bridges is of limited scope and he appears to be playing a man who finds it hard to express emotion (I read your synopsis). If the lead up to the scene with his daughter had been handled better then the sudden release of emotion would not have been such a surprise. I fully intend to watch it again and I hope I'll derive more from it.

I am glad that you have enjoyed Wiseguy and we should perhaps talk about why he's so effective in that show. I think part of the reason is, unlike SOS, there is some 'background' about him having so many jobs which he couldn't hold down, and of course the 'big mouth', all talk thing which becomes important later.

As for SOS, let's see it as the nadir of his career from which, thankfully, he recovered.

~~~

sodascouts
02-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Speaking of Wiseguy, I finally got those pages done, with Freypower's help!

Wiseguy (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/wiseguy.htm)

~

Freypower
02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
I have now watched Episodes 2 and 3 of SOS and again, if the tennis star episode was shown first, I can understand why Glenn was so angry with the network. The next two episodes do a much better job in establishing the character.

I maintain that Gina is superfluous and the actress is miscast. However, the interaction between Cody and Ziggy is developing and they work well together.

The second episode was somewhat unbelievable, I thought, but the party sequence when Cody opened his mouth and started singing Runaway - that wasn't bad. Nice butt shots. Even nicer hair shots. I am afraid I started to let my appreciation of that get in the way of my criticism.

I think the third episode is my favourite so far because he worked really well with the little girl and he had a lot to say about the dysfunctional couple. He looked good as well. Again, I am afraid that influenced how I looked at it. I was not sure about the music discussion. That seemed somewhat heavy-handed.

The incidental music was written by Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter of all people, and how sad the snippet of 'Just South of Sunset' at the end of the first episode has presumably been canned forever. He can't resurrect it now, of course, unless he rewrote it.

The line 'it's on the town line' has been used in every episode so far. OK, we get the joke.

~~~

sodascouts
02-21-2006, 09:48 PM
You know, since I'm doing the screen caps and clips for those now and re-watching them very closely, I like them even more! I'm on "Family Affair" now. I like the interaction with the little girl in "Custody" too. It's precious!

~

sodascouts
02-21-2006, 09:52 PM
P.S. And yes, it is easy to overlook plot holes when Glenn is wearing a sleeveless top. lol There are a lot of times when I was I felt they didn't really explain well how Cody solved the mysteries, but I don't blame Glenn for such things. Also, I grew up reading Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie, so I am a bit overly critical about such things.

~

sodascouts
02-22-2006, 03:26 AM
I also just noticed that Aries Spears, who plays Ziggy Duane, has a small role in Jerry Maguire as well. Coincidence?

~

Freypower
02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
OK, I have watched it all now. What a shame the last episode cut off.

It definitely improved. Family Affair is my pick of the episodes - even Gina gave a decent performance. I was slightly uneasy with all the 'hood' stuff in Newspaper Boy but I applaud the writers for taking a few chances here.

By the end of it Glenn was starting to look as he did in HFO and that was getting me really distracted. I will get some good screen shots. I did like it when he got to lose his temper. He never really had to make any long speeches, though.

The first two episodes were by far the weakest (I'm sorry Nancy - I know you liked Dream Girl the best but for me that did not work at all). What might have happened if they had started with Family Affair first?

I can't get Call On Me out of my head, which is lucky, because the song is quite important to me. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/indifferent.gif

~~~

sodascouts
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
You don't like Dream Girl? Oh well, to each her own! I don't like Newspaper Boy that much, but all of them are better than that first episode.

His hair definitely improved as the series went on. He looks SO much better with it freer, wavier, and longer. Makes him look a lot younger, too. Let us compare.

From episode 1:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/sos114.jpg

From episode 4:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/sos408.jpg

No contest!

~

sodascouts
02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi guys,

I just realized that the source I've been using to make copies of South of Sunset is missing the last segment of Episode 5. However, I have an alternate source obtained from another guy which has the complete Episode 5. If you want a copy of it, let me know and I'll send it to you. My apologies!

~

eaglesfans
02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry our tape is missing the last few minutes of the episode. We had the full episode on another tape, but the VCR ate that one. We didn't tape these ourselves as we didn't have VH1 at the time. We do the best we can with what we have. Perhaps we made a mistake in sharing it in the first place.

L&M

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p196.ezboard.com/bflipcity19918.showUserPublicProfile?gid=eaglesfan s>eaglesfans</A> http://www.ezboard.com/ezgfx/gicons/white_ball.gif at: 2/23/06 12:27 pm

sodascouts
02-23-2006, 06:44 PM
I can assure you that everyone appreciates what you do and my offer was not meant as a personal criticism of you in any way. It was meant as a contribution to a fan community from which I have benefitted, and hope to give back to if possible. That's what it's all about - for me, anyway.

~

TROUBLEADULT9601
12-28-2006, 02:14 AM
I have always wondered why the show Glenn Frey was on was canceled. I loved watching him on that show. Maybe he did not have enough fans to watch him because maybe they didn't know that he was that talented.

I loved Glenn back in the 70's (oops telling my age now) when if I was going to be a groupie (not that kind of girl), I would have had him (dreaming again). He might have looked a little rough in the early years, but wow what the years did to him. I love to watch him sing. Really, really listen to him (clue:::: he whistles when he sings any song with "S"'s). Don't believe me...Listen....

I went and seen the Eagles in concert. WOW. Greatest show on earth. I would go see them again, and again and again.

The whole group has brought so much to music and us fans. I know that I can relate to just about every song. Keep up the great work guys.... Love ya'll.

glenneaglesfan
12-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the board, TROUBLEADULT9601! (May we call you TA for short?) I hope you enjoy yourself here.
Did you ever see the Eagles live back in the 70s? I had a couple of their albums back then, and have always enjoyed them, but it's only in the last couple of years that I have become a 'groupie'. I saw them three times in the UK this summer and they were magnificent. Mr Frey is my favourite too! 8)
South of Sunset was a great show, and I think if people had stuck with it and watched Glenn's character as Cody developing, it wouldn't have been pulled. If you haven't already seen them, Nancy has put some great plot summaries and screencaps on her website here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/southofsunset.htm

sodascouts
12-28-2006, 02:06 PM
South of Sunset had an uphill battle going in. The time it was premiered, 1993, was infamous for the trend of "short order" series. Desperate to get as many ratings as possible as quickly as possible, networks ordered up tons of new shows, threw them in the water, and the ones that didn't speed to the deep end fast enough were kicked out of the pool.

They did this to Glenn's show especially quickly because they felt that they it should have done better considering the amount of promoting they did for it, and the time slot they gave it (after the Super Bowl). Ironically, it was this time slot that did him in. He was against Home Improvement, which was immensely popular. Another factor weighing against him was that they showed the pilot first, which was not the strongest episode. Finally, the fact that he was known as a musician could very well have made non-fans leery - "just another rock star wanting to act!"

But I have to admit, I am glad it didn't work out (although I wish it had been a less spectacular failure). If it hadn't failed, we would never have had the reunion and Hell Freezes Over. And, as much as I love Glenn's acting, I think his musical talents are where his true strength lies.

Freypower
12-28-2006, 06:09 PM
[i]

Really, really listen to him (clue:::: he whistles when he sings any song with "S"'s). Don't believe me...Listen....

I would like a specific example of this 'whistling' because I don't believe I have ever heard it.

Freypower
12-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I've been informed by Lisa from Eagleland that SOS premiered in October 1993. The series start was delayed by the World Series.

sodascouts
12-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I've been informed by Lisa from Eagleland that SOS premiered in October 1993. The series start was delayed by the World Series.

At least I got the year right. ;) Lisa, if you're reading, thanks for the information. :)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-31-2006, 02:26 PM
I have to agree with Soda - I'm glad the show didn't have a long run, although it would have been nicer if the demise had been a little less rapid. I tried to watch the shows objectively, although that is probably not possible for me to do. I actually think the shows were enjoyable and it could have succeeded if they had given it a chance. I subscribe to the theory that there were other factors involved in pulling the show so quickly that we will probably never know about.

BTW - welcome to the board TA9601. Glad to have you join us on The Border.

Share1967
05-27-2008, 09:15 PM
When HFO came out, I remember VH1 having a weekend dedciated to the Eagles. This series was included. I watched a couple of episodes. I cant even remember what my opinion was, or if I even liked it.

I do remember Nash Bridges though. I didnt care for it. I would of rather seen him as maybe a cop gone bad something grittier. Not an ole Dad....I think he could do a miami vice type character or a Magnum PI.

Freypower
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
That is an interesting thought. If you think about it, Magnum PI is what he ended up doing in SOS.

The role as the 'concerned father' who is also a cop in Nash Bridges I thought was well played, if not detailed enough. He has never really played a villain. I really don't know if he wanted to stretch that far.

Share1967
05-27-2008, 10:50 PM
That is an interesting thought. If you think about it, Magnum PI is what he ended up doing in SOS.

The role as the 'concerned father' who is also a cop in Nash Bridges I thought was well played, if not detailed enough. He has never really played a villain. I really don't know if he wanted to stretch that far.

I dont remember anything about SOS so I dont know what his character was like. Wish now I had of recorded it but just wasnt interested back then. Maybe I will get a chance to catch it again. If nothing else I could pause the scenes and enjoy the view.

I do remember in Nash he had been a cop, but like you said not detailed enough.

Mrs Frey
05-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Share, thanks SO much for posting in this thread! I wasn't even aware of it! :shock: :blush: I've been so obsessed with the video clips Soda posted of this series lately (see my recent comments in Frey Fever), and it's been great to read the past comments by our members about the series.

I haven't had the privilege of watching the full episodes, but I have found the video clips very entertaining. I like the humour, and Glenn :heart: appears very natural and comfortable in front of the camera. Nothing appears forced. I know from listening to his "Strange Weather" promo interview that being comfortable was very important to him as an actor.

And yes, he's completely gorgeous, too :fainting:. I also prefer his hair longer - he was giving us a taste of what was to come in HFO... :inlove:

sodascouts
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I thought I would revive this thread because of South of Sunset's anniversary, and as many of you know, I hate to have duplicate threads on the same subject (Just call me Neurotic Nancy the Merging Maniac). ;) Yeah, this thread is so old it was started in the Flip City days... but hey, I figure it's just easier to find info on something if it's all consolidated into one thread.

I know a lot of folks haven't seen this show. If you're interested, I encourage you to check out my South of Sunset section on GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/southofsunset.htm) - each link on the main page goes to an episode page with video clips, screen shots, and a summary.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the series started off rocky, but it got better. It was totally unfair for the network to cut it off after one episode, an infamous move that gets mentioned to this day as an example of a network stopping a series before it started.

Still, again, no South of Sunset cancellation, no HFO. I can't be sad about that. Interesting that their broadcast anniversaries are so close to each other - as we just noted in our "This Day in Eagles History" thread, HFO was broadcast almost a year later to the day.

10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Soda, that is an interesting observation about the dates of SOS and HFO airings being a year and a day apart. As I said before, we will probably never know all the reasons for CBS canceling the show so quickly, but it must have been fate. If the show would have had a long run, who knows how it may have changed the course of history.

eaglesvet
10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Think of the repercussions...I'll take history the way it stands currently, thank you!:band:

sodascouts
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Once again, it's the anniversary of the airdate of South of Sunset (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/southofsunset.htm)! While it may have ended somewhat ingloriously, it's still pretty cool that he got to star in a TV show.

Freypower
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I said earlier in the thread that it was the nadir of his career, and I'm afraid I stand by that.

01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
WOW! I was watching a youtube video that yekrut posted in the Sundance thread and after it was over, I noticed this little gem showed up in the corner. It's a promo ad for Glenn's ill-fated show ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mQdp2k3VvA&NR=1

Brooke
01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Good catch, dreamer! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting that gem, Dreamer! I see that the intro to one episode is also posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRwPhBLh3hs. In the comments people are asking if anyone has the entire episode & the others as well. It's still in demand!

sodascouts
01-22-2013, 07:54 PM
As I've said before, while I'm sorry the show went down in such an ignominious fashion, I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be a launching pad for a full-time acting career. The fact that he wasn't committed to a series enabled him to tour with the Eagles for HFO.

GlennLover
01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
As I've said before, while I'm sorry the show went down in such an ignominious fashion, I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be a launching pad for a full-time acting career. The fact that he wasn't committed to a series enabled him to tour with the Eagles for HFO.

I agree. as much as I would like to see him act in a weekly series, I wouldn't want that in exchange for hell freezing over!

Glennsallnighter
01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
What you say is so true Soda! While I'd love a weekly date with Glenn :heart: on the silver screen in some series or other (as he would be in by now), look at the opportunity and impetus dropping SOS gave him to finally reform the Eagles...... after a 14 year Vacation!

djfitzgerald111
07-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone! I am in the process of obtaining the remaining episodes of SoS and I will post them on my site as soon as I can convert them. I can't make any promises on the quality of those videos just yet, but Ep One is available here:

http://southofsunset.org/ (http://mariapitillo.org/2013/07/02/watch-south-of-sunset-01-full-episode-on-youtube/)

I have six photos and a newsprint ad associated with the show. Portraits of Glenn standing alone are very rare. If anyone has a print from the show, I would be like to put that on the site as well.

I also have TWO promo clips for SoS, as well as the Opening Credits on video.

Glennhoney
07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone! I am in the process of obtaining the remaining episodes of SoS and I will post them on my site as soon as I can convert them. I can't make any promises on the quality of those videos just yet, but Ep One is available here:

http://mariapitillo.org/2013/06/29/watch-south-of-sunset-01-full-episode-on-youtube/

I have six photos and a newsprint ad associated with the show. Portraits of Glenn standing alone are very rare. If anyone has a print from the show, I would be like to put that on the site as well.

I also have TWO promo clips for SoS, as well as the Opening Credits on video.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!:thumbsup:

Outlawman13
07-02-2013, 05:59 PM
OHH MY!!!! Thank you so very much!!!! This show is so amazing!!!! Glenn is so gorgeous!!!

Freypower
07-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Here is the existing SOS topic.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97

djfitzgerald111
07-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I thought it would be easier to start a new thread that was current with what I am working on. I have two sources of tapes, both say that they have all of the episodes that aired on VH-1. I've offered to convert/splice/host whatever I'm sent. I have adjusted the audio output levels on episode One, and I expect to be hosting it on my own site by tomorrow morning.

Cheers!

cbecrad
07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Hello. I am the webmaster for www.mariapitillo.org (http://www.mariapitillo.org) I wanted to let you know that a friend located a complete copy of episode one of South of Sunset, I have posted the link on my site. http://mariapitillo.org/2013/06/29/watch-south-of-sunset-01-full-episode-on-youtube/

I will try to organize everything regarding the show into one link for future reference.

Enjoy!

Well just watched it...all I can say really is eh...show wasn't awful, kind of typical of the time. But the story line was pretty lame IMO. I didn't really understand the mother's motive to drug her daughter and leave her in a motel?? :? Glenn's a decent actor. Looked gorgeous though :smitten:. And Aries is funny.

djfitzgerald111
07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm not making judgments about SoS, it is what it is, and I think that at the very least, it has historical value.

sodascouts
07-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Very cool - thanks! I'll just merge the threads to keep it easier to follow.

However, when I click on the link, I get an error. :(

djfitzgerald111
07-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Very cool - thanks! I'll just merge the threads to keep it easier to follow.

However, when I click on the link, I get an error. :(

I fixed the link in the previous post. I don't know what happened. but it's slightly different today. Hmmm.

http://southofsunset.org/ (http://mariapitillo.org/2013/07/02/watch-south-of-sunset-01-full-episode-on-youtube/)

sodascouts
07-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks for fixing the link!

BTW I don't know if you've seen this, but I've got some pages on this show, too, that you might find helpful:

http://glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/southofsunset.htm

sodascouts
07-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Here are some additional photos:

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreySOSWM2.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyCar.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreySOSWM1.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreySOSSnazzy.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreySOSHeyBabe.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreySOSZiggy.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreySOSDive.jpg

djfitzgerald111
07-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks for fixing the link!

BTW I don't know if you've seen this, but I've got some pages on this show, too, that you might find helpful:

http://glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/southofsunset.htm

Is that your page? I own hard copies of all the prints of SoS on my page except one. I saw the one with the watermark and didn't look any deeper.

I'd love to use them and credit your site if that works for you.

djfitzgerald111
07-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Well just watched it...all I can say really is eh...show wasn't awful, kind of typical of the time. But the story line was pretty lame IMO. I didn't really understand the mother's motive to drug her daughter and leave her in a motel?? :? Glenn's a decent actor. Looked gorgeous though :smitten:. And Aries is funny.

The girls mother had to set up the daughter to get blackmail photos. That is why she was drugged and left in the hotel room. Plotwise it was a little thin. Frey could have used some more coaching, but sometimes that is how TV series develop. The show was pretty standard fare for the early 90's, and I didn't think that it deserved to be canceled right away like it was. We'll see if the other episodes get better, they typically do. I have copies coming from two sources and I will try to splice together what I can.

GlennLover
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Glenn continued being coached throughout the filming of the series. I have heard an interview in which he stated that he loved learning the acting process. In reading & listening to various interviews over the years I have heard him say about many things that he loves to continue to learn. I am sure that if the series had continued he would have continued being coached.

djfitzgerald111
07-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Glenn continued being coached throughout the filming of the series. I have heard an interview in which he stated that he loved learning the acting process. In reading & listening to various interviews over the years I have heard him say about many things that he loves to continue to learn. I am sure that if the series had continued he would have continued being coached.

CBS has always been the most risk-averse of the big three networks. People want something new and edgy, network executives want formulas that have worked in the past. It is that constant tug-of-war between the people who create TV, and those who broadcast it. While I understand that many Eagles fans are happy about the shows demise, it could have been successful had it gone through more development. SoS came and went before the internet age took root, so there is little written information available and Hollywood people aren't very big on talking about work they did twenty years ago. They either want to move forward or get on with their retirement.

Outlawman13
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
I love those pictures!!! Glenn is super hot and would love to see some more episodes of SOS.

sodascouts
07-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Is that your page? I own hard copies of all the prints of SoS on my page except one. I saw the one with the watermark and didn't look any deeper.

I'd love to use them and credit your site if that works for you.

Yeah, these are my sites. I didn't take those photos, but if you want to credit that you found them here, that's cool with me.

djfitzgerald111
07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah, these are my sites. I didn't take those photos, but if you want to credit that you found them here, that's cool with me.

Yes, I'd like to use them. Thanx!

djfitzgerald111
07-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Episode 2: Dream Girl is now available for viewing.

Enjoy!

Outlawman13
07-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you for posting that episode. I can't wait to watch it this evening after work!!!!

sodascouts
07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Episode 2: Dream Girl is now available for viewing.

http://mariapitillo.org/2013/07/02/watch-south-of-sunset-01-full-episode-on-youtube/

Enjoy!

My favorite episode!

djfitzgerald111
07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you for posting that episode. I can't wait to watch it this evening after work!!!!

Please let me know if the audio seems out of synch to you.

Outlawman13
07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I didn't watch it last night, but I was trying to right now. LOL it won't load for me. Sucks. I really want to see it!!!

Houston Baby
07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
The audio was fine for me.
I can't thank you enough for posting these!
I loved this one! I think Glenn was doing a great job! This series was typical of the time & I can't figure out why it did not make it. Dumb tv execs!!! :censored:

djfitzgerald111
07-08-2013, 07:34 PM
I didn't watch it last night, but I was trying to right now. LOL it won't load for me. Sucks. I really want to see it!!!

Let me know what error you are getting and I will see what I can do.

djfitzgerald111
07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I loved this one! I think Glenn was doing a great job! This series was typical of the time & I can't figure out why it did not make it. Dumb tv execs!!! :censored:

Hi. Thx for your input. I have the raw material and its fine. The final product does seem 'off' to me. I will keep working on it.

djfitzgerald111
07-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Episode 3: 'Custody', and Episode 4: 'Family Affair' are both online.

sodascouts
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Great! Thanks!

djfitzgerald111
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Great! Thanks!

:-) I currently have only 22 minutes of episode 5. Working on getting the rest.

djfitzgerald111
07-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Note: Ms Pitillo wanted us to take the site down, so we have removed all of the material that we posted. Sorry.

Hi. I've watched the four episodes several times. I agree that it was typical of that time period. Studio execs seem to have no confidence in their own choices. It makes no sense to cancel a show after one airing, particularly one that's in a tough time slot to begin with.

Houston Baby
07-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Note: Ms Pitillo wanted us to take the site down, so we have removed all of the material that we posted. Sorry.

Oh no! I am so thankful that I got a chance to watch them all but I also wanted to watch them again!! What a bummer!! :brickwall:

Thank you again for giving me a chance to see SOS! Truly grateful!

sodascouts
07-12-2013, 02:05 PM
What a shame! You'd think she'd appreciate having a fan getting her name out there with a site, or at least your dedication to her. It's not as if she's a mega-star with tons of hardcore fans. I'm sorry all your hard work was for naught. :(

djfitzgerald111
07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Oh no! I am so thankful that I got a chance to watch them all but I also wanted to watch them again!! What a bummer!! :brickwall:

Thank you again for giving me a chance to see SOS! Truly grateful!

The first three are available on youtube and I am under the impression that the other two will be available in the coming weeks. Youtube is very fussy about copyrighted material and from what I understand, it was already blocked in Germany by Youtube. I had some leverage because I was writing a biographical work, and had a skirt to hide behind, so to speak.

I'll keep on it as I promised. I can't change the website around without having to pay Wordpress a second time for hosting the video. That's where I am at as of today.

Cheers!

djfitzgerald111
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
What a shame! You'd think she'd appreciate having a fan getting her name out there with a site, or at least your dedication to her. It's not as if she's a mega-star with tons of hardcore fans. I'm sorry all your hard work was for naught. :(

I met her once many years ago, and I thought much of the negative press she received for 'Godzilla 98' was unfair. I reached out to her when the biographical material I had didn't meet the criteria for posting her Wikipedia entry. It could have been a trust issue, or maybe it's because she's so far removed from Hollywood these days. I don't know. There is a new youtube video that came out on July 9, slamming her and the cast from the movie, that's fifteen years after the fact. That video had 455K views in three days. I told her that she needed to be more proactive in blunting bad publicity, and it simply fell on deaf ears. Too much stress for me to do all on my own.

I apologize for the off topic rant.

Have a great day!

sodascouts
07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
That's ok - I encouraged it, lol.

I liked her in South of Sunset and her brief appearance on Friends. Here's hoping she changes her mind sometime.

I think they might have been trying to go for a romantic thing with Cody and Gina in SoS that I'm not sure would have worked, but she was great in the character.

djfitzgerald111
07-12-2013, 02:52 PM
That's ok - I encouraged it, lol.

I liked her in South of Sunset and her brief appearance on Friends. Here's hoping she changes her mind sometime.

I think they might have been trying to go for a romantic thing with Cody and Gina in SoS that I'm not sure would have worked, but she was great in the character.

I thought she was great. It was one of her first big roles. in an old interview, she expressed disappointment with what had happened to the show. She was in another series 'Partners', a couple of years later, which received very good reviews from critics and industry people, but it was on FOX, and they didn't know how to handle the show. I managed to get my hands on all 22 episodes and had posted them for a while. The problems started when I tried to nudge Pitillo along and try to help me encourage all the 'Godzilla' visitors to see some of the other work that she had done and quash some of the longstanding negativity. That obviously didn't work. lol.

djfitzgerald111
07-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Another SoS message: I have a new domain name.

http://southofsunset.org/

I patched up all of my previous posts with this link. The one that's quoted no longer works.

Enjoy.

Houston Baby
07-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you so much djf111! I know what I will be doing part of this weekend! :thumbsup:

djfitzgerald111
07-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Thank you so much djf111! I know what I will be doing part of this weekend! :thumbsup:

Eps 1 and 2 are in a different format than 3-4 are. If you have a problem, let me know which ones give you trouble. I am planning on fixing 1-2 on Monday.

:-)

Thirsty&Hot
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
hmm for all of them, when I click play, I get a message "embedding has been disabled by the author of this video"

djfitzgerald111
07-13-2013, 09:02 PM
hmm for all of them, when I click play, I get a message "embedding has been disabled by the author of this video"

You can play them, but you can't embed them.

Thirsty&Hot
07-15-2013, 12:35 AM
You can play them, but you can't embed them.

I wasn't trying to embed them haha!
just trying to click play on the website that you linked!

djfitzgerald111
07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
I wasn't trying to embed them haha!
just trying to click play on the website that you linked!

All five episodes are now online at http://www.southofsunset.org Please let me know which ones you are having trouble with.

It is my preference to host the videos on a 'biographical' site, vs youtube, as we have some leeway with copyright issues if that ever becomes a problem.

as the site expands, each video will get its own page. You can contact me through the feedback form more easily.

Cheers!

djfitzgerald111
07-18-2013, 04:29 PM
All five episodes are now online at http://www.southofsunset.org Please let me know which ones you are having trouble with.

It is my preference to host the videos on a 'biographical' site, vs youtube, as we have some leeway with copyright issues if that ever becomes a problem.

as the site expands, each video will get its own page. You can contact me through the feedback form more easily.

Cheers!

The videos are back up. Technical problems. Maybe not. Still working on it.

Glennsallnighter
07-20-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm really enjoying looking over this series (again! Lol). Thanks for the links.

Outlawman13
07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
The videos are working for me! Love Glenn's acting and he is ohh so sexy

djfitzgerald111
07-20-2013, 10:21 AM
The videos are working for me! Love Glenn's acting and he is ohh so sexy

I linked back to the YouTube videos because people were having fewer problems. If YT pulls the them, I will find another host.

I will also add summary data and photos at some point. I am still getting over the disappointment with the other stuff. That was hard work that in the end, didn't seem to matter.

UndertheWire
08-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I've been trawling the net for Eagles-related articles and came across a couple of South of Sunset interviews. I like the impression they give of the man. He's pretty humble when talking about acting.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-10-26/features/9310260088_1_glenn-frey-paramount-tv-super-bowl

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-10-24/entertainment/ca-49146_1_glenn-frey

[I hope it's ok to keep posting these old articles. I'm sure long-time fans have read them all.]

Glennsallnighter
08-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Well we've had a lot of new members since the HOTE DVD was released so its no harm to throw out another chance for people to read the older posts and articles. Thanks

chaim
08-26-2013, 05:06 AM
I can't believe I haven't noticed this topic before. I definitely was a fan of the series. I loved the characters. They were hilarious. Cody and Ziggy always made me laugh and if I remember correctly, Gina desperately wanted to be an actress and she was very funny too. A great team.

sodascouts
08-26-2013, 08:38 PM
It had a lot of promise. I think it was at its best when it was doing lighthearted material. Glenn has great comedic delivery.

sodascouts
10-27-2013, 01:37 AM
20 years ago today, South of Sunset premiered!

You can watch all of the episodes here (just scroll down):
http://www.youtube.com/user/newspooiechannel

Sadly, only the pilot aired on CBS. VH1 showed them all later, though.

10-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Wow - 20 years! I wish I had been able to find some time to re-watch at least some of the episodes over the weekend. As I've said many times before, I really found most of them rather entertaining and I don't think that CBS gave the series not even close to a fair shot by canceling it right away. Oh well ... their loss - our gain. If the show had succeeded, the course of Eagles history would likely have been changed!

chaim
03-11-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm starting to watch the first episode for the first time. I didn't see this one when the show was shown in Finland YEARS ago. If the chemistry between the three main actors is half as good as in the following episodes, I'm sure going to have a few laughs!

MaryCalifornia
03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Chaim, are you from Finland? If so, you must know Bluefeather! (kidding, but seriously...are you?) That would be cool to have two Finns on here.

chaim
03-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Chaim, are you from Finland? If so, you must know Bluefeather! (kidding, but seriously...are you?) That would be cool to have two Finns on here.

I'm from Finland, that's for sure! I stopped watching that episode, because the sound quality was so poor that combined with my English "skills" it was hard to follow it. But I will watch the whole episode at some point. :-x This was the second time I started watching it!

My name is "Toni". Just replace the "y" in "Tony" with an "i" and you're a Finn.:hilarious:

03-11-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm starting to watch the first episode for the first time. I didn't see this one when the show was shown in Finland YEARS ago. If the chemistry between the three main actors is half as good as in the following episodes, I'm sure going to have a few laughs!

chaim - I hope you enjoy these. Do you have all of the other shows? IMO, they are all quite entertaining. Happy viewing!

(And BTW - I didn't realize you were from Finland either.)

DJ
03-15-2014, 03:54 PM
I had no idea these even existed. Cool. Glenn was and is adorable..:thumbsup:

03-15-2014, 03:58 PM
No argument from me about that, DJ! :thumbsup:

10-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Reviving this thread to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the premiere of South of Sunset!

All of the episodes are here if you are interested in watching them:

http://www.youtube.com/user/newspooiechannel

Personally, I think they are pretty entertaining to watch and Glenn is extremely easy on the eyes!

Glennsallnighter
10-28-2014, 04:05 AM
Thanks Dreamer! I love this. Glenn :heart: really looks and acts amazingly well in this series. It's such a pity it never got the chance to shine. That said, if it HAD been a success it might have signed the death warrant of any band reunion. Certainly at that stage anyway. Well it all worked out in the long run!

Topkat
11-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Just happened upon this article mentioning "South of Sunset"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tv_editorial/news/1931451/11_tv_shows_cancelled_after_the_first_episode/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_309951

sodascouts
11-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Well, at least it wasn't the only show to suffer the "one episode only" fate!

Topkat
11-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Glenn is best working on his music & not a tv show. It was cool to see him on Miami Vice, but he belongs with the Eagles!

UndertheWire
11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Just happened upon this article mentioning "South of Sunset"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tv_editorial/news/1931451/11_tv_shows_cancelled_after_the_first_episode/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_309951
When listing Glenn's other acting "triumphs", they missed that he and his SoS co-star, Aries Spears, were both in an Oscar-nominated movie. I don't think they had any scenes together, though.

AlreadyGone95
07-12-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm finally getting around to watching a few episodes of South of Sunset tonight. :partytime:I've watched a few of the clips on GFO, but now I'm gonna watch the episodes on youtube. The only problem is that I'll have to keep the drooling to a minimum because the laptop is in the living room, and my mom is watching tv right behind me.

AlreadyGone95
07-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Well, I actually got to watch all 5 episodes last night on youtube. :computer: (nice way to spend 4 hours lol)

First off, Call on Me is not stuck in my head, which isn't a bad thing because I do like the song.

Second, let me get the shallow drooling out of the way. Episode 2. Dream Girl... legs, arms, and chest in one episode...(robotic voice) overload... overload... over..:drool::thud::faint::fainted:

Alright now, on to my opinion of the show. I actually liked it, and found myself laughing at most of the jokes. (ok, the town line joke got annoying after 2 episodes). I liked the odd pairing of the Cody and Ziggy.Gina was at times annoying, though.

I think that the first episode is definitely the weakest. The plot development and the context of the later episodes isn't there. Unlike Miami Vice, I found myself calling him by his character's name and not Glenn. A few times, I actually forgot that Cody was Glenn.

My favorites are definitely Custody and Newspaper Boy. Custody tugged at my heart because I saw myself in that little girl. ( My parents were still together, but they argued alot, and were almost constantly fighting. My dad would leave after big arguments, and I was afraid that he'd never come back. CPS were actually involved a few times with my brother who's 8 years older than me and he went to live with our nana when I was 5. The court ruled that my parents were fit to raise me. By the time that I was the girl's age, I wanted out too). Maybe personal reasons aren't the best reasons to choose a favorite, but that sticks out to me. Newspaper Boy sticks out because the grim truth of it. I've seen a few of male classmates try to be gangsta as a preteen, and by the age of 18, they're either locked up or dead.

I never cared for Home Improvement, the show that SOS went up against. It'd be cool if there had been a full season of SOS or more, but as stated many times before, Hell wouldn't have froze over.

Now, I need to buy Let's Get Harry(although I don't like the stache) and Jerry Maguire. Is there any way to view Wiseguy, Nash Bridges, or the Arli$$ shows online?

sodascouts
10-27-2015, 09:30 PM
I see the anniversary of the airing of South of Sunset was today.

It may not have worked out, but I'm glad he did it nonetheless. It was a cute show.

buffyfan145
02-17-2016, 09:47 PM
So I had a weird dream last night where Glenn was playing a PI again but it was more like one of my favorite shows "Veronica Mars" as Kristen Bell was playing her character from that show but as Glenn's daughter. LOL :D I knew he played a PI in this and Kristen's Veronica in her show was a teenager working for her father's California PI firm (and she eventually becomes one herself through out the show, films, and book series). "Veronica Mars" was also really comical at times even with the drama/mystery storylines but the relationship between her and her dad on the show is one of the best father/daughter relationships I've ever seen.

So I ended up Googling Kristen again as I knew she was from Detroit too and freaked me out as it turns out Kristen went to high school in Royal Oak!!! :D She was actually from the suburb next door but went to the Catholic school there. I had no idea they shared that connection and I love Kristen too. "Veronica Mars" already had a connection to Don Henley as the writer Rob Thomas revealed on Twitter he wrote a scene in the movie to "The Boys of Summer".

Thinks this means I need to finally watch this as I saw the eps are up on YT. :)

buffyfan145
04-13-2016, 09:14 PM
So I finally got to watch all of the episodes and man am I still trying to figure out why CBS didn't give it a fair chance. LOL Glenn was so great. :D I always felt he was so underrated as an actor and now finally seeing his "Wiseguy" episodes and this I was right. I've always been a fan of PI/mystery-crime stories and "South of Sunset" was actually really good. It did remind me a lot of "Veronica Mars" mixing in PI noir with comedy. I also loved his dynamic with Ziggy, and totally was shipping Glenn's character with Gina. LOL :D (In case others don't know shipping is wanting and supporting a romantic relationship between two characters, aka a ship). I totally feel the writers were building them up as the main couple of the show, especially in episode 2 as he tried to save her and in episode 4 with one of my favorite writing troupes, the fake couple.

I also personally loved the "Custody" episode because when this episode should've aired I was around 7-years-old, so I would've been about the same age as the Katie character. Being the child of Eagles fans I always knew their music but the Eagles reunited when I was 8 and after HFO aired I just wanted to know everything about them, especially Glenn. So seeing him interact with a little girl around the same age I was who ended up adoring him by the end of that episode was just so awesome. :inlove: I really liked his scenes with the kids in the various episodes too. Plus, Ziggy's "Little Mermaid" comment to Katie has me rolling as that was the first movie I got to see in the theaters in 1989 and my mother to this day says I've liked guys who looked liked Prince Eric ever since, and Glenn totally fit it. LOL :lol:

I also loved that I recognized a lot of the guest stars and seeing Glenn had connections to other fandoms of mine. Richard Shiff (The West Wing, Once Upon a Time), Jared Harris (Mad Men), and Amber Benson (Buffy) were the big ones I noticed. I also loved hearing Glenn sing "Runaway" by Del Shannon and Tom Petty's "Refuge", both songs I love too.

It was so much better than I expected and just makes me wonder what it would've been like if it went on longer and what the writers had in mind.

04-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Glad you enjoyed the SOS episodes, Buffy. I think most of us would agree that the show wasn't given a fair shot.

TequilaSunrise82
04-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Just finished the first episode and all I can say is...what a horrible show! Totally cheesy and totally unbelievable. Yet, I love it! :hilarious:Off to watch the next episode....

UndertheWire
04-15-2016, 03:52 PM
The second episode is slightly better. Or maybe I just enjoyed it more - especially when Cody is fixing his bike.

AlreadyGone95
04-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Just finished the first episode and all I can say is...what a horrible show! Totally cheesy and totally unbelievable. Yet, I love it! :hilarious:Off to watch the next episode....
The first episode is the worst of the 5, imo. The rest are much better and more realistic.

buffyfan145
04-15-2016, 04:18 PM
I agree it gets better. It's part of why I wish CBS gave it more of a chance. I usually stick with the rule to not judge a new series till 4 to 5 episodes in as a lot of shows I love/loved had bad pilot episodes and had to find their footing. LOL It had potential.

TequilaSunrise82
04-20-2016, 08:56 PM
Ok I just finished watching all 5 episodes and I am so sad that's all there is! I want it to keep going! I got really attached to the characters even though the plot lines were so incredibly unbelievable. I mean, in practically all of these cases, why wouldn't these people just go to the police?? Has anyone found episodes 6 and 7 on the web anywhere? They must exist somewhere...

Dawn
04-20-2016, 09:11 PM
The first episode is the worst of the 5, imo. The rest are much better and more realistic.

I have to agree - I barely got through the first episode. Glenn's acting was pretty darn good considering the script he had to work with - I wish they'd tried hiring different writers before cancelling the show. Glenn clearly had the chops - I think he was credible in both serious and comedy type roles.

FreyFollower
05-31-2016, 09:07 PM
I have enjoyed watching this series every now and then on YouTube. But now when I search for it, I only get promo commercials, not episodes. Anybody know what happened or where I can watch them?

sodascouts
05-31-2016, 09:41 PM
The full episodes are not available via traditional means, I'm afraid.

buffyfan145
06-01-2016, 09:43 AM
I have enjoyed watching this series every now and then on YouTube. But now when I search for it, I only get promo commercials, not episodes. Anybody know what happened or where I can watch them?

I just searched too and it does look like they were recently taken down. They were up as of April, which is how I finally got to watch.

shunlvswx
06-01-2016, 10:01 AM
Darn. I wish I had downloaded it back then. Now I will probably never see those episodes. :cry:

TequilaSunrise82
06-01-2016, 06:39 PM
oh wow, they are indeed gone! I'm glad I got to watch them last month. I still hope someone digs up the last two that were never uploaded...

sodascouts
06-01-2016, 07:13 PM
UMG blocked it. Now, perhaps they blocked it because of the title track, or perhaps they blocked it because they plan on releasing it on DVD (IDEAL), or perhaps they blocked it just because that's UMG's policy. It's sad for the fans unless there's a DVD coming out. If that's the case, I'd be thrilled!

UndertheWire
06-02-2016, 11:01 AM
UMG seems to have blocked a lot of Glenn videos in the last few weeks. Unfortunately, I think it might be down to sorting out Glenn's estate rather than plans for new releases. Some of the videos had been up for many years and no one seemed that bothered (compared to Eagles and Henley videos). Maybe Glenn wasn't that interested in enforcing his own copyrights but whoever is handling his estate will have a responsibilities. As Azoff was Glenn's manager, I would expect he's involved in some capacity.

sodascouts
06-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Azoff loathes Youtube, but since it's UMG taking it down, I don't think it has anything to do with him.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Well, that sucks that the episodes aren't available anymore. I downloaded them to my uncle's computer, but it went kaput about a month ago.

shunlvswx
10-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Happy 23rd Birthday to South of Sunset.

AlreadyGone95
10-31-2016, 01:26 AM
Happy belated anniversary to the airing of South of Sunset.

Delilah
01-25-2017, 01:28 PM
I don't believe this has been posted and hopefully this is the right place to put it. This is an article from New York Magazine published in October 1993 about Aries Spears, and there are a couple of Glenn mentions. There's also a cool picture of them from one of the scenes.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eCgAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=Glenn+Frey&source=bl&ots=vGzngQ_pUP&sig=n19wvXFJqEYR0Tu1e8ijYdF9CmM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRzpOux9zRAhXLQCYKHSgQAH84WhDoAQgtMAc#v =onepage&q=Glenn%20Frey&f=false"Aries Rising"

LuvTim
01-25-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't believe this has been posted and hopefully this is the right place to put it. This is an article from New York Magazine published in October 1993 about Aries Spears, and there are a couple of Glenn mentions. There's also a cool picture of them from one of the scenes.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eCgAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=Glenn+Frey&source=bl&ots=vGzngQ_pUP&sig=n19wvXFJqEYR0Tu1e8ijYdF9CmM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRzpOux9zRAhXLQCYKHSgQAH84WhDoAQgtMAc#v =onepage&q=Glenn%20Frey&f=false"Aries Rising"

Very cool and funny! And Glenn looks great, as usual. :-)

sodascouts
01-27-2017, 11:59 PM
I love his quote (borrowed from Jackson Browne) about "the brave and crazy wings of youth."

01-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks for posting that Delilah. It was an interesting read. Aries was/is a very talented guy - not that he hasn't been successful, but it is surprizing to me that he didn't achieve more success. Maybe he decided superstardom wasn't for him and he was more content with moderate success.

FreyFollower
10-27-2017, 02:27 PM
I've been trawling the net for Eagles-related articles and came across a couple of South of Sunset interviews. I like the impression they give of the man. He's pretty humble when talking about acting.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-10-26/features/9310260088_1_glenn-frey-paramount-tv-super-bowl

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-10-24/entertainment/ca-49146_1_glenn-frey

[I hope it's ok to keep posting these old articles. I'm sure long-time fans have read them all.]
To commemorate the anniversary of the airing of "South of Sunset", I thought I would "hijack" UTW's post from years ago. (Hope you don't mind!). Since it is also the anniversary of the airing of Hell Freezes Over (yesterday) one year later, I think it is interesting to see where Glenn's head was at in 1993. In '92 he was talking about going to Nashville to cut an album of acoustic-type numbers ("Girl From Yesterday"?), before SOS came out of nowhere.
Although it needed better writers, I really enjoyed SOS. And I would have loved that album. But I'm really glad "Hell Froze Over"!

Pippinwhite
10-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Love these interviews. Fantastic quote from the article in the Trib: "I'm from the Midwest. I've got to have a job. I have this work ethic. If it's Monday morning, I've got to get up and go to work and earn money for my family."

BlueJeanBaby
10-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Great articles - thanks for reposting. I so wish that Nashville album had happened!

Pippin, the work ethic quote caught my eye as well - he certainly could've "taken it easy" after the Eagles, but he was always staying busy with something and trying new things.

I liked the quote about his family/fatherhood too.

shunlvswx
10-27-2018, 10:21 PM
Happy 25th Anniversary to the premiere of South of Sunset. Fate always come into play. IMO If this show wasn't cancelled after one episode, the Eagles probably wouldn't had gotten back together 2 months later and HFO probably wouldn't happened. Maybe they would had gotten back together, but later down the road.

FreyFollower
10-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Happy 25th Anniversary to the premiere of South of Sunset. Fate always come into play. IMO If this show wasn't cancelled after one episode, the Eagles probably wouldn't had gotten back together 2 months later and HFO probably wouldn't happened. Maybe they would had gotten back together, but later down the road.

Happy Anniversary, SOS! You are probably right, Shun. But you have to wonder why they didn't allow it at least a few showings to see if it could build an audience. A lot of hit shows took a while to catch on. To go to all that trouble and then drop it after one showing to me is like opening a new business and closing after one day because you didn't like the sales numbers! You've gotta give it a chance!

CAinOH
10-28-2018, 08:50 PM
South of Sunset isn't available anywhere anymore, is it?

I remember watch the single episode that was originally aired. We would have watched it if it had continued. I missed the subsequent airing on VH-1.

10-29-2018, 12:11 PM
I don't think so, CAinOH. Whenever anyone puts them on YouTube, they just get taken down. I have copies of all the episodes, but, unfortunately, I don't have the software to burn DVD's on my computer.

Delilah
01-21-2019, 01:41 PM
You guys who have seen this series, what did you think? At first I wasn't too sure what to think, because Aries Spears kind of annoyed me. I found the second episode terrific (it's my favorite), however, and Aries wasn't so over the top. Plus the opening part in his house begins in such an adorable fashion! I think Glenn had funnier lines later on, too, and I liked the inclusion of Merlin the computer geek. I think it certainly deserved more of a chance, but I must admit I can't be too sad it didn't take off. If it had, there would have been no "Hell Freezes Over."

~

The first episode is on on YT now so I finally got to watch it. :yay: I enjoyed Glenn’s performance and I think he did a fine job with what he had — a subpar script with a lame plot, with the added storyline rip-off of the movie “48 Hours”, even down to using Eddie Murphy’s line: “yeah, but I look good.” Based on this episode alone, I’m not surprised the show was short-lived. The part where Glenn’s character lets Ziggy’s partner-in-crime jump on a $50,000 bail bond so he could broker a peace treaty between the Bloods and the Crips defies logic. And that was just a side story. Glenn was definitely the best part of this show.

P.S. I thought Aries Spears’ character was annoying as well and it’s odd that he was allowed to look at those pictures of the client’s wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CYQDrTKtnk

(I hope it’s ok to link here since it’s almost an hour long)

01-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Well - If anyone hasn't had a chance to watch this, I would suggest that you do so quickly. In the past, the episodes that have been put up on YouTube have been yanked down pretty quickly.

I think this is definitely one of the weaker episodes. Some of the others are a lot better, IMO. I think that overall the shows were enjoyable and the series could have been more successful if it had been given a fair shot. Of course, no bias here, but, I agree that Glenn was the highlight. :wink: :grin:

CAinOH
01-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Well - If anyone hasn't had a chance to watch this, I would suggest that you do so quickly. In the past, the episodes that have been put up on YouTube have been yanked down pretty quickly.

That's why I'm downloading it now. Hopefully a few more of the episodes will show up.

Thanks for posting this, Delilah!

Pippinwhite
01-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Subpar or not, we get to look at Sugar! :D

There's something to be said for that.

Delilah
01-21-2019, 06:09 PM
You’re welcome, CAinOH.

Subpar or not, we get to look at Sugar! :D

There's something to be said for that.

I completely agree. I realize that I am judging this from the perspective of a 2019 viewer. Most of us here know how much TV has changed in the last 25 years. There’s a lot more emphasis these days on realism and authenticity when it comes to TV dramas. Writers know that the audience will take to the internet to tear a show apart and analyze every detail. Back then it seems the intent was to take a more light-hearted approach and not be too heavy-handed with complicated characters and storylines (with some exceptions, of course).

FreyFollower
01-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Subpar or not, we get to look at Sugar! :DThere's something to be said for that.
Most definitely, Pippin!

The later shows were much better, in my opinion. I found this one to be hard to follow, without the warmth of later episodes. "Cody" was a caring, stand-up kind of guy.(With great hair.lol!). With better writers, given a chance, it could have done well.

As Delilah pointed out, dramas today are often focused on gritty realism. TV used to be mainly just a pleasant diversion.

As a fan, (besides Glenn's great looks) I found myself enjoying listening to him talk! I remember a friend of his referring to the great qualities of his speaking voice!

sodascouts
01-23-2019, 12:44 AM
I hope as many people as possible get a chance to see these before they're snatched down. I mean, if you're not going to sell them or make them available another way, why not let people view them on YouTube??? My favorite episode is the second one.

10-28-2019, 10:39 PM
Well - I'm a day late, but just wanted to mention that yesterday was the anniversary of South of Sunset premiering on CBS in 1993.

I hope hardcore fans have gotten a chance to see the episodes that were taped.

CAinOH
10-29-2019, 08:00 AM
Has anyone here seen the last two? The ones that weren't aired on VH-1? I've managed to get copies of the first 5, but it seems the last two are most elusive.

sodascouts
10-29-2019, 09:43 PM
I don't know anyone who's seen them. They're probably in vault somewhere gathering dust, completely forgotten. What a treasure they would be to find!

11-02-2019, 11:33 AM
For sure! I hope they still exist and will come out of hiding one day.

New Kid In Town
11-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Delilah - thanks for posting this. I just watched the show. I had not seen it since it was on tv. I have to say I agree that Glenn was the best part of the show. Now I will have to make it a point to try and find/watch the other episodes.

shunlvswx
10-28-2020, 09:32 AM
Happy Belated 27th Birthday to South of Sunset on yesterday.

FreyFollower
10-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Shun. So I had to watch a bit of the first episode, the only one available on YouTube. The later episodes (which are much better IMO) should be also. I don't know why they allow the first, and not the rest. All music could be muted to avoid copyright difficulties. They're not making any money in a vault either. I would love to buy them or pay per view.