PDA

View Full Version : Flip City (the song)

sodascouts
03-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Flip City is definitely an unusual tune. What do you guys think?

When I first heard it, it was a bit strange for me. I got a bit thrown by the effects that made his voice a little funky on the chorus. However, once I got past that, it grew on me. That unexpected syncopation of the chorus is actually catchy, and that ending guitar solo - wow.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

glenneaglesfan
03-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Well, it's on the version of The Allnighter I'm waiting for, so I'll let you know when I've heard it.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Freypower
03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I love the 'I wanna know WHY' at the end.

I love the lyrics. They are very edgy. I love the way he sings it. The guitar work is awesome. The only thing I wonder is there are two voices on the chorus. Is he doing both of them?

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you

sodascouts
03-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I assumed they were both him - hard to tell, though.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

glenneaglesfan
03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Since I've had this I have really taken to it. I've never seen the movie, but this song has a sense of strangeness and drama, with an exciting beat and great lyrics. I like it. I shall be adding it to my MP3. Iinteresting to work out who is backing Glenn upon this one.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Freypower
03-21-2006, 08:10 PM
The Ghostbusters II CD doesn't say who the musicians are, although it's written and produced by Glenn and Hawk Wolinski (who wrote Two Hearts, one of my least favourite Glenn songs).

~~~

And we'll have stars to wish on every single night
We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight
We'll do our moondance 'til we get it right
On a river of dreams

sodascouts
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm no expert, but I've listened to it a few more times and I'm thinking both voices are Glenn's, altered a bit in production to achieve that freaky effect.

I'm with ya on Two Hearts, Julie!

~

glenneaglesfan
03-22-2006, 05:40 AM
My version on the Allnighter doesn't give any more information either. Could that really be Glenn doing both voices?

~~~

This way to happiness...

sodascouts
03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
The second voice sounds unnatural to me, which is why I think it's Glenn's voice manipulated by something like a VOX or VSO. I'm a fan of Linsdey Buckingham who uses that kind of thing all that time, and it reminds me of that. I could be wrong, of course!

~

Freypower
03-22-2006, 11:18 PM
I love how the 'high' voice is so perfectly pitched. It reminds you that the man is a great singer. If it's him doing the lower voice as well, it's like he's having a dialogue with himself as he does in the harmonies of I've Been Born Again. It's very cool.

~~~

And we'll have stars to wish on every single night
We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight
We'll do our moondance 'til we get it right
On a river of dreams

EasyFeeling
09-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Remember Steve Lukather told me he worked with ALL the guys on their solo stuff? FP said he never worked with Glenn. Well, we talked about the guys again I asked him directly if he worked with Glenn too and he said yes, sometime in the late 80'. I couldn't think of any song of his albums he worked on so I was listening to Flip City and when I heard the guitar playing I immediately knew it is him. Asked Steve again and it was this song. So at least one mystery is solved.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the investigative reporting, EF.

Good to hear from you again. :partytime:

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes, excellent detective work. You have a good ear!

And as dreamer said - always good to hear from you!

EasyFeeling
09-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey Soda and Dreamer, I take a look here now and then :)

Uuuuh, I'm a pain in the neck when it comes to ask Steve something LOL First he said he forgot what it was, it was long ago. I couldn't find anything about a collaboration, came here, went through the threads and found Flip City and... bingo! Heard the guitar playing and was like Yep, thats it :thumbsup:

But beside that, he told me another thing. Not related to Glenn but maybe you know anything about it. Sorry about the misspelling, its not my fault, he always types too fast LOL

I LOVE Joe and have worked with ASLL the Eagles on their solo stuff thru the years. Just did some for DonFelders new record a few months back, a tribute to our dear brother Greg Ladanyi so needless to say I dig them all. Joe is the COOLEST..I am a lifelong fan and he was a HUGE influence on me as a player and writer.. aand he plays one of MY guitars sometimes.. unreal.Is the album already out? Couldn't find anything about it.

GlennLover
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks so much for the info, EF! I had posed the question as to who played guitar on that song in another thread & nobody knew. No research provided an answer either & I still wondered about it.

Freypower
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
EF, thanks for the information.

As far as I know Felder's album has not yet been released.

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Not yet, but he keeps telling us it'll be out any day now.

I wonder what this tribute is that Steve's referring to? Perhaps a particular song is dedicated to Greg Ladanyi on Felder's album?

Anyway, I'm still so impressed that you were able to identify a guitarist just by listening to a solo, EF!

EasyFeeling
09-12-2011, 04:16 AM
No Nancy, it's not like that LOL But it's his style of playing plus I couldn't find any hint or reference to another song of Glenn. This song came to my mind because it's on the soundtrack and Steve said late 80'.
I can identify only him because his way to play is different, the special "Luke sound" so to speak, if you know what I mean ;)

Maybe I can find out more about this tribute.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Way to go EF!! And I must say how star struck I am every time you mention talking to Steve!! He seems so approachable and I think that is so cool.

Hey and bonus----something new about Glenn that even FP didn't know! (didn't think that was possible) JK :hilarious:

EasyFeeling
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
He not only seems approachable, he IS! I had a lot of fun today getting him to answer a question about Joe Bonamassa who I will see next month and he overlooked it. Was "complaining" he did not answer, he asked me what I was talking about and I posted a link to the question. He was a good boy and followed the link and answered in both threads then... what a mess, but great fun LOL

But its not the right place here to talk about Luke :shh: If I know more about this tribute to Greg Ladanyi I will post it in the Felder thread.

Freypower
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Way to go EF!! And I must say how star struck I am every time you mention talking to Steve!! He seems so approachable and I think that is so cool.

Hey and bonus----something new about Glenn that even FP didn't know! (didn't think that was possible) JK :hilarious:

Awww. The fact is I knew nothing about Flip City at all (except where it first appeared; I don't even remember how I found out about it). I didn't think the lead guitar work was Glenn, but I had no knowledge of who it was. I still love the song; I think it's like nothing else Glenn has ever done.