PDA

View Full Version : Did I hear that right? (Misheard lyrics)

ticky
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Ok, I know we've all done this, especially those of us over a certain age who've spent a wild youth listening to our guys at a somewhat increased volume. I keep MISS-hearing the Boy's lyrics! And I thought it might be fun to share our hearing loss here. Mind you, I know the real lyrics to ALL the songs (of course). These are just ones that caught me off guard.

Busy Being Fabulous- (the real lyric) "To drink the wine from your winner's cup, to realize your children were growing up.."

(What I Heard) "To drink the wine from your winner's cup, to realize your children were throwing up.."

Love Will Keep us Alive- (the real lyric) "Lost and lonely, now you've given me the will to survive, when we're hungry, Love will keep us alive.."

(what I heard)"Lost and lonely, now you've given me the will to survive, when we're hungry, Doug will keep us alive.."

Anybody else out there have any?

GlennLover
08-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Many years ago when I first heard "One of These Nights" on the radio, I thought the line "Get you baby one of these nights" was "Hit your baby one in the night" :laugh:. Now, I know, the Eagles would never sing a line like that.

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Lol, ticky, good idea for a thread!

I was happily singing "There's a javelin moon" in 'Somebody' until I looked at the lyrics - made no sense but sounded good! I think I was picturing a very fine crescent moon.

Another silly thing, to start with, in 'Waiting In The Weeds' I couldn't help singing "While peacocks prutt and stance upon the stage". Weird! And can anyone actually hear Don sing "Proximity an even chance"? I just get "Proxim an even chance", but I forgive him anyway!

Mrs Henley
08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Me too GEF!

I always thought that Don sang at Desperado:
"Oh be my God..."

But it is "Open the gate"

Oops :lol:

sodascouts
08-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, I've heard many songs wrong - although mine aren't as funny. I've done this before, so I have the list at the ready. Limiting it to Eagles...

Edited to add: My excuses in italics.

After the Thrill Is Gone
Real: You're afraid you might fall out of fashion
Mine: You're afraid you might fall out of passion
Hey, if you can fall out of love...

Business As Usual
Real: Them sharks out there are lurkin' beneath the curl
Mine: Them sharks out there are lurkin' beneath the curb
In the sewer, perhaps?

Doolin-Dalton
Real: Then he laughed and said "I'm goin'"
Mine: Then he left, and kept on goin'
I didn't realize he was happy about going. lol

Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
Real: The queen of hearts, you say you never met
Mine: The queen of hearts is safe; you never met
These desperadoes bring the queen of hearts down. ;)

Fast Company
Real: This is your time
Mine: This is your turn
Understandable - they mean the same thing!

Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
Real: Just to get some snogging done - You're living in a hormone dream
Mine: Just to get some snuggling done - You're living in a hardcore dream
Who knew Don was into British slang? As for the hardcore part... :blush:

Real: Nobody's calling them for roughing up the kicker
Mine: Nobody's calling them, they're rougher and they're thicker
I'm not good with sports terminology.

Good Day in Hell
Real: Truckin', that's all that I've been doing
Mine: F**king is all that I've been doing :blush:
I think mine is closer to the real meaning anyway...

Hotel California
Real: I heard the mission bell
Mine: She held the missing bell
Um... a missing part of his soul... (reaching here)

Real: Then she lit up a candle
Mine: Then she lifts up a candle
Perhaps Don is taller than she.

Real: Her mind is Tiffany-twisted; she got the Mercedes bends
Mine: Her mind is definitely twisted; she got the Mercedes Benz
Don's clever word-play did not penetrate my skull.

How Long
Real: Out there in that shiny night, with bloodhounds on your mind
Mine: Out there in that shining night, your blood is on your mind
Thinking of his own mortality?

Is It True
Real: You were hung up; I had a good line
Mine: You were up front, I had a good time
I hadn't studied up on 70s slang.

King of Hollywood
Real: He's just another power junkie; Just another silk scarf monkey
Mine: He's just another powder junkie; Just another sex-starved monkey
Mine makes the King look ever grosser.

Last Good Time in Town
Real: Moon come up and the sun go down
Mine: Men come up when the sun goes down
Men go out and party at night?

The Last Resort
Real: They watched the hazy sun sinking in the sea
Mine: They watched the hated sun drinking in the sea
Evaporation?

Real: You can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina
Mine: You can leave it all behind and sail to an island
I'm not good with geography.

Life in the Fast Lane
Real: They paid heavily bills
Mine: They paid heavenly bills
Irony. Or so I thought.

On the Border
Real: Good night, Dick
Mine: I'm just sick
Nixon didn't occur to me because I didn't put the song in context when I first heard it.

The Sad Cafe
Real: The clouds rolled in and hid that shore
Mine: The clouds rolled in beneath that shore
An ironic reversal of the expected visual? (I'm reaching here).

Seven Bridges Road
Real: There is a taste of time-sweetened honey
Mine: There is a taste of thyme, sweet as honey
Never mind that thyme is a spice.

Tequila Sunrise
Real: When it comes down to dealin' friends
Mine: When it comes down to bein' friends
What guy likes to be told by a girl that she wants to be "just friends"?

Those Shoes
Real: You can't believe your reviews
Mine: You can't believe you're refused
Well, I figured, if she can't get a date when there's desperation in the singles bar...

Mrs Henley
08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
After the Thrill Is Gone
Real: You're afraid you might fall out of fashion
Mine: You're afraid you might fall out of passion

Doolin-Dalton
Real: Then he laughed and said 'I'm goign'
Mine: Then he left, and kept on goin'

Fast Company
Real: This is your time
Mine: This is your turn

Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
Real: Just to get some snogging done - You're living in a hormone dream
Mine: Just to get some snuggling done - You're living in a hardcore dream

Good Day in Hell

Hotel California
Real: Her mind is Tiffany-twisted; she got the Mercedes bends
Mine: Her mind is definitely twisted; she got the Mercedes Benz

King of Hollywood
Real: He's just another power junkie; Just another silk scarf monkey
Mine: He's just another powder junkie; Just another sex-starved monkey

Last Good Time in Town
Real: Moon come up and the sun go down
Mine: Men come up when the sun goes down

The Last Resort
Real: You can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina
Mine: You can leave it all behind and sail to an island

Life in the Fast Lane

On the Border
Real: Good night, Dick
Mine: I'm just sick

Seven Bridges Road
Real: There is a taste of time-sweetened honey
Mine: There is a taste of thyme, sweet as honey

Well Soda, I've got a couple the same ones as you!

ticky
08-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Well Soda, I've got a couple the same ones as you!

Me too!! and I thought those WERE the real lyrics *grin*

Freypower
08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
:applause:to all of those. I have a pretty good ear for lyrics and didn't get many of them wrong. One thing I will say however, is I wish they had come up with a better word than 'heavily' in LITFL. Even if they'd repeated 'outrageous' at least it would have made sense.

On another tack I could never understand the line in Soul Searchin' 'and I sit here and wonder, baby, what we're really learnin''. Until literally five seconds ago when I finally looked it up on GFO I thought it was 'and I sit hearin' one day...' which I really had to twist around for it to make sense.

Maleah
08-24-2008, 09:11 PM
LOL Soda....I thought the same thing with your HC line!

GlennLover
08-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Good Day in Hell

Soda, on Good Day in Hell I originally thought I heard the same as you. You're probably right that your interpretation is closer to what they would really want to say.:wink:

Life in the Fast Lane

I have a pretty good ear for lyrics and didn't get many of them wrong. One thing I will say however, is I wish they had come up with a better word than 'heavily' in LITFL. Even if they'd repeated 'outrageous' at least it would have made sense.

On LITFL I also heard "heavily" as "heavenly". How would you know. I agree with you Freypower, it isn't the proper use of the word. That's not like Don. :headscratch:

sodascouts
08-25-2008, 12:46 AM
One thing I will say however, is I wish they had come up with a better word than 'heavily' in LITFL. Even if they'd repeated 'outrageous' at least it would have made sense.

I hear ya. That's one reason I misheard it; the other is such clumsy grammar it didn't even occur to me! Now that I know what it is, I admit, it annoys me when I think about it. I try not to. ;)

glenneaglesfan
08-25-2008, 06:39 AM
You mean it isn't "heavenly bills"? Add me to the list!

Smuggler's Blues - I thought it went "They hide it up, and tell you right, I mean it's here to stay."
Correct version: "They hide it up in Telluride, I mean it's here to stay."

Incidentally, in one of my clippings from a British mag, they spell it "Tell-U-Ride" - is that part of the Spud-U-Like chain? ;-):grin:

sodascouts
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
GLENN'S SONGS

The Heat Is On
Real (supposedly): The beat's so loud, deep inside
Mine: The beat's alive, deep inside
Now, honestly, I actually think MINE is right, but the internet consensus is that the first one is right.

You Belong to the City
Real: Movin' through the crowd and the midnight heat
Mine: Movin' through the crowd to the midnight beat
After careful listening, I realize I got this one wrong! But I think it might be "in the midnight heat" - again, internet consensus says "and the" - not sure it's right.

Freypower
08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Good heavens. As far as I am concerned, in THIO it's 'and the beat's alive'. No way is it 'so loud'.

As for YBTTC, I think it's 'in the midnight heat'.

And as for 'they hide it up in Telluride' they have also hidden it in the following places:

Tokyo
Daly City
La Jolla
Auckland

and I think there may be others.

Mrs Henley
08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I searched at the internet to the song and it's saying indeed "And the beat's so loud, deep inside."

But I'm agreed with FP, I Youtubed The Heat Is On, and played it many times, and I can hear "And the beat's alive".

sodascouts
08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, as I tell my students, just because something's on the internet doesn't make it true.

As far as I'm concerned, the lyrics are "The beat's alive."

glenneaglesfan
08-26-2008, 05:26 PM
According to my 'Best Of Glenn Frey' songbook, it's "and the beat's alive", so those internet sites should go back to their research!

Mrs Henley
08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
We're sure now that the lyric is "and the beat's alive!"
Yes indeed!

glenneaglesfan
08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Another one - in Desperado, I thought it said "You've been out riding fancies". :oops:

Tessa
09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
It's 06:45 in the morning here in Austria and I just heard:

For my wedding I don't want violence....

Well, who would.... :shy:

Glennsallnighter
09-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Smuggler's Blues - I thought it went "They hide it up, and tell you right, I mean it's here to stay."
Correct version: "They hide it up in Telluride, I mean it's here to stay."

I thought it was 'Tell you right' as well!!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
GLENN'S SONGS

The Heat Is On
Real (supposedly): The beat's so loud, deep inside
Mine: The beat's alive, deep inside
Now, honestly, I actually think MINE is right, but the internet consensus is that the first one is right.

that's what I heard too soda

Troubadour
09-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Whenever I listened to Those Shoes, I presumed that the line "In the middle of the tall drinks and the drama" was "In the middle of the tall drinks and the drummer". Wonder where my head was at... :blush:

And I'm gonna put on my blinkers and pretend that it is "heavenly bills".

glenneaglesfan
09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Lol, Troubadour!

According to my "The Best Of Eagles" songbook, published by Warner Music Group, 1981, it is "heavenly bills" - it would make a lot more sense.

Troubadour
09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Lol, Troubadour!

According to my "The Best Of Eagles" songbook, published by Warner Music Group, 1981, it is "heavenly bills" - it would make a lot more sense.

Hurrah! "Heavenly bills" is all I ever presumed it was. "Heavily bills" is just... odd.

Freypower
09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Neither word works but to me he's singing 'heavily' and I have just looked at my Hotel California sheet music book which lists the word as 'heavily'.

Maleah
09-28-2008, 02:50 PM
What are the words that start out the last verse? Right before "blinded by thirst"

Ive always been a dreamer
09-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I always thought it was "Blowin' and burnin', blinded by thirst..."

Mrs Henley
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I always thought it was "Blowin' and burnin', blinded by thirst..."

Me too Dreamer, I'm just listening to the Eagles Live album and it's indeed Blowin' and burnin'!

Mrs Henley
10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Neither word works but to me he's singing 'heavily' and I have just looked at my Hotel California sheet music book which lists the word as 'heavily'.

listening to the Eagles Live album, Don is singing also heavily bills..

Mrs Henley
10-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I thought that it was: "The doctor say he's comin', but you gotta play in the past." in Life In The Fast Lane.
I figured out that it's "The doctor say he's comin', but you gotta pay him cash." oopppppssss :angel:

EagleLady
10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
In How Long, I thought it was, woman will you wait? but it is woman will you weep?

Mrs Henley
10-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I thought that too EL,
but it's "woman will you weep"

EagleLady
10-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I wish either Don or Glenn could rock me to sleep :twisted:

luvthelighthouse
04-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't recall seeing this topic here... but if it is, I'm sure the admins will transfer it to where it belongs.:thumbsup:

I've been thinking about this since our last survivor game. Originally, when I heard -IIT, I heard the following:

Is It True - I was a wild one, like a chainsaw, if that's import to you! :hilarious:

Who else has funny misheard lyrics?

sodascouts
04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
There is a topic on this, but it's super-old! Still in the interest of organization anal tendencies.... I'll do the combo thing.

I am glad you revived the discussion, though, LTL. We've got some new folks who can add to it, and maybe some of we old-time members can add some more as well.

01-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm reviving this thread because a line from The Heat Is On came up again. I was going to post about it, but realized this had been discussed a while ago in this thread. However, it doesn't look like there is a conscensus about it, so I thought I bring it up again, and let other's weigh in on this thread that may have missed it before.

The specific lyrics I'm referring to - is it??? ...

"And the beat's so loud"

or

"And the beat's alive"

I'm leaning towards "the beat's so loud" only because I think it's odd to use the word "alive" in two consecutive lines. The lines are ...

"And the beat's (so loud or alive), deep inside
The pressure's high just to stay alive"

sodascouts
01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Put me on the "Alive" side. It sounds like "alive" to me, and I think it's much odder to have two words that don't rhyme ("Loud" and "Side") than it is to have a word repeated. After all, we have a repeated word in "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance": "only way" is rhymed with "other way" - it's not unheard of.

The rhyme scheme is more evident when you write it like this:

And the beat's alive
Deep inside
The pressure's high
Just to stay alive

JMHO!

Freypower
01-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I said in the Eagles Song thread that I think it's alive & have always thought that for the reasons Soda has stated, and because I never heard it as 'loud'.

WalshFan88
01-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Put me on the "Alive" side. It sounds like "alive" to me, and I think it's much odder to have two words that don't rhyme ("Loud" and "Side") than it is to have a word repeated. After all, we have essentially a repeated word in "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" towards the end: "away" is rhymed with "way" - it's not unheard of.

The rhyme scheme is more evident when you write it like this:

And the beat's alive
Deep inside
The pressure's high
Just to stay alive

JMHO!

I agree. I've always heard it "alive". I just watched it on YouTube, and I'm still hearing alive.

Peekaboo
01-09-2011, 05:28 AM
As far as THIO goes, put me down as hearing "alive". That is kind of a tough one and I can see how it could either way but I hear "alive" more than "so loud".

Here's one that my mom gets wrong every time. In Please Come Home For Christmas the line is "But this is Christmas, yes, Christmas, my dear." My mom always sings it as "But this is Christmas, yes, Christmas magic." :hilarious: Ah, bless her. I've told her the right words many times but she says she likes it better as "Christmas magic".

sodascouts
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
lol! I like "Christmas magic" better too!

EaglesFanatic
01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
:blush: lol, I thought it was Christmas magic too :shh: :laugh:

EaglesKiwi
01-10-2011, 03:45 AM
Re LITFL

I thought "paid heavily bills" might have been an intentional switch of "played Beverly Hills" since the earlier line is "They knew all the right people, they took all the right pills" - I'm picking BH would be a good place to do both of those?

:drunk:

WalshFan88
01-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Put me down as one who always heard in LITFL "paid heavenly bills". Now that I listen back with headphones and slowed down in my computer, it's most definitely "heavily".

TimothyBFan
01-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Re LITFL

I thought "paid heavily bills" might have been an intentional switch of "played Beverly Hills" since the earlier line is "They knew all the right people, they took all the right pills" - I'm picking BH would be a good place to do both of those?

:drunk:

I have to believe that you are right and it would be! :hilarious:

01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Well regarding the "heavenly" bills vs. "heavily" bills, I alway thought it was heavenly. To me "heavily" doesn't make any sense. I think it may sound that way just because of the way Don enunciates the word. I remembered some of the discussion about this earlier in this thread, so I went back and looked. Here are a couple of quotes ...

FP, do you remember who published the sheet music book you own? I would tend to think glenneaglesfan's song book published by Warner Music would get it right, but you never know.

01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
And here's another quote from gef that I found in going through the thread regarding The Heat Is On lyric:

According to my 'Best Of Glenn Frey' songbook, it's "and the beat's alive", so those internet sites should go back to their research!

Again, I wonder if Kate's songbook was an official publication? In any event, after going back and reading all the comments in this thread, you all have convinced me that it is "the beat's alive". :thumbsup:

Freypower
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Well regarding the "heavenly" bills vs. "heavily" bills, I alway thought it was heavenly. To me "heavily" doesn't make any sense. I think it may sound that way just because of the way Don enunciates the word. I remembered some of the discussion about this earlier in this thread, so I went back and looked. Here are a couple of quotes ...

FP, do you remember who published the sheet music book you own? I would tend to think glenneaglesfan's song book published by Warner Music would get it right, but you never know.

It is published by Warner Bros. Publications. It is as official as you can get.

The bottom line is that neither word makes any sense at all, but the word is 'heavily'.

01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, but the "official" Warner publication that GEF has from 1981 conflicts with yours and says that it is "heavenly", so which "official" publication is correct?

I agree that neither word is a great choice, but in the U.S., we do use the word "heavenly" in this context i.e. to describe something that is "up to the sky" so to speak. I can't think of any instance where the word "heavily" would be used in this context.

Freypower
01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Then why is it 'heavily' in my sheet music book? And that's what I hear & what I've always heard.

My book was published in 1977, just after the album was released. Not only the lyric is given as 'heavily' but it is 'heavily' in the actual sheet music page.

tequila girl
01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, stop fighting guys....... it's Heavily.....

Freypower
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't wish to argue & I'm sorry. I should say that I have never seen the Best Of Songbook which states the word as 'heavenly'.

Troubadour
01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't think anyone's fighting. It's just weird because it sounds like "heavily" and obviously is listed as such in most sources... but it just doesn't make sense! Not to me, at least. "Heavenly" WOULD work there. I guess some of just don't want to believe that such great songwriters would have used such an awkward, nonsensical phrase! Unless there WAS some sort of private meaning or pun intended...? I would love to hear one of the guys answer this once and for all...

...although someone else can ask. I haven't forgotten that interview where Don ripped the guy a new one for mentioning that wine is not a spirit.

01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Well - first of all, I'm not fighting ... I'm just debating and there is a difference. But, I do find it perplexing how anyone can be so adamant about which is correct when we have two "official" communications from the same company that don't agree. :shrug:

tequila girl
01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah, stop fighting guys.......

Perhaps I should have put one of these icons after my remark :fear: :hilarious: :lol: :stunned: :zzz: :crazy: :wink: :fingerwag: :fight: :???: It was meant as a joke.......sorry if my sense of humour is confusing to some! :worried:

Troubadour
01-10-2011, 07:23 PM
No worries, TG - we all know comments can be viewed incorrectly online. Sorry for taking it literally! :)

Freypower
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Well - first of all, I'm not fighting ... I'm just debating and there is a difference. But, I do find it perplexing how anyone can be so adamant about which is correct when we have two "official" communications from the same company that don't agree. :shrug:

1. I haven't seen the Best Of songbook & I can't comment on what it says.
2. The Hotel California songbook was published first & I would have thought is far more likely to be accurate.

I don't like 'heavily' either but I can't persuade myself in any way that the word is 'heavenly' because that to me makes no more sense than 'heavily' even if it is used to mean 'reaching for the sky'. And in all the times I have heard the song & seen it performed live, I have never heard an 'n' in the place where it supposedly is sung.

So we might have to agree to disagree; those who think it's 'heavenly' I agree that it makes more sense, but I'm afraid I will stick with 'heavily'.

Troubadour
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Just to clarify: I would take "heavenly" to mean "sky high"... as in, ridiculously expensive bills. That's the way I've always seen it anyway, and that's why it makes more sense to me.

Freypower
01-10-2011, 08:46 PM
And 'heavily' is just making 'heavy' scan: 'heavy' or 'large' bills. Yes, it's awkward.

sodascouts
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
It's unusual but technically grammatically correct. I'm going with "heavily" as in "he paid heavily for his sins."

ETA: Ironically, when I started this thread, I thought it was "heavenly." I just changed my mind upon repeated listens, especially live. Regardless, my own vacillation shows that one must be very careful before declaring one knows what a lyric is!

Brooke
01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, late to the party as usual, but I've always thought it was heavenly. That being said, I never had cause to question it, so didn't go the distance and listen to it multiple times to try to figure it out. I guess we'll never know for sure since 2 publications from the same company state it differently.

I will continue to sing heavenly when I hear it because that makes the most sense to me. :shrug:

Freypower
01-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I will make one more comment on this, which is that the only time I would use the word 'heavenly' as an adjective would be in relation to associated words; 'heavenly powers', 'heavenly bodies' or even 'heavenly messenger'. Possibly I would use it to say 'that's heavenly' meaning 'that's really nice' so I find the idea that it might be generally used to mean 'up in the sky' somewhat strange. I would not like to speculate on how many people think the word is 'heavenly'. I wouldn't know.

Now I do have another example of a lyric that I misheard for a long time and that is The Allnighter. I thought for years the opening line was 'long ago, lonely night'. It's 'lonely girl, lonely night'.

GlennLover
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I did a little research of my own on LITFL. I listened to Glenn's performance at the House of Blues but I couldn't really tell if he sang "heavenly" or "heavily". I then went to YouTube & I found the following video of Joe performing it. He clearly sings "heavenly". I still hear "heavily" whenever I listen to Don sing it though. More confusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eNj3P7gGmY

In "The Allnighter" in both the album version & a bootleg version I hear "lonely girl, rainy night". I assumed that was why there was the sound of rain at the beginning of the album version. :shrug:

Freypower
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Sorry, 'rainy night' in The Allnighter. My mistake. :brickwall:

GlennLover
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry, 'rainy night' in The Allnighter. My mistake. :brickwall:

I find it odd that we can hear words in a song as something other than what they actually are & continue to hear them that way. In many instances I hear lyrics in a song the same way over & over until I learn what the correct words are & are it's so obvious, that I wonder how I ever heard what I did. Funny.

Freypower
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, but in that instance I mistakenly typed 'lonely' instead of 'rainy'. The words I misheard for so long were 'lonely girl' which I thought were 'long ago'.

Prettymaid
01-12-2011, 09:27 PM
It's unusual but technically grammatically correct. I'm going with "heavily" as in "he paid heavily for his sins."

ETA: Ironically, when I started this thread, I thought it was "heavenly." I just changed my mind upon repeated listens, especially live. Regardless, my own vacillation shows that one must be very careful before declaring one knows what a lyric is!

Since songwriters can write anything they want even if it makes no sense, we may never know why the lyrics are so bizarre. But wouldn't the correct grammar be "heavy bills"?

sodascouts
01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Not if it's modifying "paid" - "paid heavily." (The adverb "heavily" is modifying the verb "paid").

But hey, it doesn't really matter to me wither it's 'heavenly' or 'heavily.' As you can see from the thread, I've waffled on it! lol It's all good.

Windeagle
11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
I knew there had to be a thread for this. Thanks, Soda.

I had a couple of messed-up words that people already mentioned (yeah, I thought it was "heavenly" too), but there are a couple more you all might find amusing.

I mentioned in the Survivor thread that I always heard the "Play on, El Chigadero" (sp?) line in Visions as "Come on and take the devil". It seemed to fit as a reference to a song from the first album. I actually like this line better and will probably continue to sing it wrong.

The other line I've been messing up since 1979 comes from The Long Run.
The real line: "Kinda bent but we ain't breakin'"
I heard: "Climbed the fence but we ain't breakin' it"

It was only when I recently watched "Farewell 1" and read Don's lips that I realized what the line really was.

sodascouts
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Here's one that got brought to my attention several months ago:

Too Many Hands
Real: She's one of a kind, sometimes hard to find, like a rainbow.
Mine: She's one of a kind, sometimes undefined, like a rainbow.

I think mine is more poetic. ;)

Glennsallnighter
11-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Definitely Soda!

Dyan61
05-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread about this, couldn't find one but after reading some of the replies in what our names are and seeing 'Tiffanny Twisted's' I had a giggle as I always sang that line as 'her mind is definitely twisted' haha all these years I've been saying it wrong with no idea pretty close tho huh? :hilarious:

Freypower
05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
This is the original topic:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992

Dyan61
05-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Oh thanks I don't know how to move mine so feel free to if you want to, best to keep them all in one place. :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread about this, couldn't find one but after reading some of the replies in what our names are and seeing 'Tiffanny Twisted's' I had a giggle as I always sang that line as 'her mind is definitely twisted' haha all these years I've been saying it wrong with no idea pretty close tho huh? :hilarious:

That is EXACTLY what I was going to write when I saw this topic! AND it wasn't until I saw Tiffanny Twisted that I got it!

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I can't believe I didn't know the correct lyrics for my favorite Eagles song...in TITTL where he sings "I was thinking about a woman that might have loved me, I never knew"...up until 2 months ago I thought he sang "I was thinking about a woman I loved that I never knew" and I always thought 'how could he love her if he didn't even know her?' :hilarious: In my defense, Randy sings some of those words pretty quietly! lol

sad-cafe
05-11-2013, 12:50 PM
how cool is this, the Classic Rock radio station I listen to at work does this Mystery Meat thing at 12 noon where they play 5 songs that have some connection. Yesterday, they played some songs and an Accoustic Version of HC was in the mix. When it was done, the DJ said that the connection was songs that people get the lyrics wrong in. Then he went on to explain the Tiffany Twisted part. I thought WOW, we were just talking about this!

05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't remember if I ever put this on the board or not, but I know Soda and I have talked about it. I thought the last line of Tequila Sunrise was ...

This old world still looks the same ... another friend.

It is another frame. The good news is that the meaning isn't significantly changed no matter which word you sing. I still catch myself singing "friend" if I'm not careful. :wink:

sodascouts
05-11-2013, 03:04 PM
how cool is this, the Classic Rock radio station I listen to at work does this Mystery Meat thing at 12 noon where they play 5 songs that have some connection. Yesterday, they played some songs and an Accoustic Version of HC was in the mix. When it was done, the DJ said that the connection was songs that people get the lyrics wrong in. Then he went on to explain the Tiffany Twisted part. I thought WOW, we were just talking about this!

What a cool coincidence!

sad-cafe
05-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I so wanted to log on and tell you all about it right then and link to the station, but I was at school (work) and they monitor where we go. I thought I better wait.

sad-cafe
05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
http://keyn.tunegenie.com/pastonair/keyn/1368244800000/

here is the play list link. They play 3-6 Eagles songs a work day :) Love it

sad-cafe
05-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Okay, I just realized another one.

On Life in the Fast Lane,

I always thought "he was Ruthless" Today I realized "he was ROOTLESS

Prettymaid
05-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Okay, I just realized another one.

On Life in the Fast Lane,

I always thought "he was Ruthless" Today I realized "he was ROOTLESS

:rofl: Says who???!!!

05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
s-c - I think you were correct the first time. They did indeed say he was ruthless. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
No...wait...I think it's 'he was toothless'...

:rofl:

sad-cafe
05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
okay, maybe I was right the first time and it is Ruthless

Just today it really sounded Rootless ... like he had no connection to any area?

Maybe it was just a weird day :fear:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-13-2013, 10:16 PM
No...wait...I think it's 'he was toothless'...

:rofl:

I started to type in the exact same thing!! I like changing lyrics to things that make me laugh.

Prettymaid
05-13-2013, 10:17 PM
okay, maybe I was right the first time and it is Ruthless

Just today it really sounded Rootless ... like he had no connection to any area?

Maybe it was just a weird day :fear:

It's okay SC. We all have our days!

WalshFan88
05-14-2013, 12:14 AM
I don't get too confused with Eagles songs, but other songs do I ever..

As this is an Eagles thread I won't go to far but I've "misheard" a lot of classic rock songs be it Def Leppard, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Manfred Mann, Steve Miller, CCR, etc etc. All the time... Some of them are quite bad lol. :hilarious:

When it comes to Eagles songs, it's more about the meaning or the way a phrase is said. There is a line in "The Last Resort" that confuses me, and of course the "the beat's so loud/the beat's alive" in "The Heat Is On", and on and on.

Witchy Woman
05-14-2013, 12:45 AM
My personal all time favorite misheard lyric :

Revved up like a deuce - Wrapped up like a douche

I still stay that's exactly what's being said. :hilarious:

zeldabjr
05-14-2013, 12:53 AM

I'm with you on this WW...lol

WalshFan88
05-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Sounds that way to me. lol That was one of the misheard lyrics I was referring to. And Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" I had all wrong as well "livin' like a lover with a red hot thong" when it was "radar phone"... Along with some others. Steve Miller's Jet Airliner "Big ol' Jed had a light on". I knew THAT one was Jet Airliner though, but it still sounded like that to me lol.

sad-cafe
05-14-2013, 05:21 PM

OMG I used to think that too!

Outlawman13
05-14-2013, 05:34 PM
LOL ohhh that's what I thought it said as well!!! Now I feel stupid. LOL.

sodascouts
05-14-2013, 10:20 PM
LOL! You know, we should start a misheard lyrics thread for non-Eagles songs, too. These are funny! I'll go do so right now.

ETA: Here it is! https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4340

wasl89
05-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Maybe it's just me, But in Ol'55 I always heard 'Freeway cars and drugs' never occurred to me that it is something quite different: Freeway cars and truck (whoops!) :lol:

Houston Debutante
05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Haha! That explains why the stars were beginning to fade...

wasl89
05-20-2013, 12:44 PM

:lol:

Outlawman13
05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
LOL I love that!!!!

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Get off the road, dopehead! lol

zeldabjr
06-01-2013, 01:49 AM
I just found this site called amiright.com...has anyone ever seen it?...has a bunch of the Eagles mis-heard lyrics...really funny...couldn't figure out how to post the direct link...but you can go to amiright.com....then on the right of the page under Site Navigation...click on misheard lyrics....then archive by artist...the Eagles are #30....There are 472 entries...I didn't look at all of them...but some were pretty funny!...it has them for a lot of artists...

chaim
06-01-2013, 09:22 AM
When I was a teenager I "transcribed" the Hotel California lyric for my band. This was before the internet, you know, and I didn't have the album with the lyrics to the title track yet. Plus I'm Finnish, so....
There were some hilarious bits. I thought "we are programmed to receive" was "go back to your seat" with some mumbling before it (as I couldn't make out the "we are" bit). "The pink champagne on ice" I heard as "they drink champagne on ice". I'm glad I don't remember how I heard "colitas"!
Reminds me of a hilarious transcription I made with a friend of mine of Lady In Black by Uriah Heep. We didn't have a clue what was sung most of the time, so occasionally we deliberately came up with our own bits. "My labour is no easier" was changed to "my neighbour is no easy one" by my friend! :hilarious:

Prettymaid
06-01-2013, 09:38 AM
I just found this site called amiright.com...has anyone ever seen it?...has a bunch of the Eagles mis-heard lyrics...really funny...couldn't figure out how to post the direct link...but you can go to amiright.com....then on the right of the page under Site Navigation...click on misheard lyrics....then archive by artist...the Eagles are #30....There are 472 entries...I didn't look at all of them...but some were pretty funny!...it has them for a lot of artists...

'On a dark desert highway
Cool Whip in my hair'

Lol! Some of these are pretty good!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2013, 09:51 AM

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/eagles.shtml

Z, all you need to do is Copy the URL (webaddress) and Paste it here. Highlight the address and either right click and select Copy or use CTRL/C, then come here and right click and select Paste or use CTRL/V.

sodascouts
06-07-2013, 04:55 PM
When I lived in Saudi Arabia, we couldn't buy rock'n'roll music or any American music. It was illegal, outlawed by the religious police. However, you could easily obtain copies of tapes on the black market. These copies would include lyrics typed up by the Saudis who were selling the cassettes. You can imagine how off-base they were! I think the most egregious was their attempt to transcribe the lyrics to Fine Young Cannibal's "Wild Wild West" - but that's another thread.

Just listening to "Long Road Out of Eden" the other day and I remember when I first heard it, I thought "Far away and fast asleep" was "Far away, the master sleeps" (ie, a dig at Bush).

Troubadour
06-08-2013, 07:39 AM
I still think of 'far away and fast asleep', even though I know the real lyric!

I thought of one the other day, when I was listening to Tequila Sunrise in the car. Maybe it's Glenn's accent, but I always hear the first couple of lines as: "It's another tequila sunrise, stirrin' slowly across the sky" instead of "starin'". A sunrise stirring across the sky sort of makes some poetic sense to me!

Troubadour
06-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Here's another thing I've been meaning to ask about... In Best of My Love, when Don sings "but the words come out too rough", I swear he puts a "k" sound on the end so it comes out like "ruck". It's really weird! You may have to listen to it loud or on headphones to catch it, but I've always noticed it (and I listen to that song A LOT...) Any ideas?? Please tell me I'm not imagining it!

Freypower
06-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Here's another thing I've been meaning to ask about... In Best of My Love, when Don sings "but the words come out too rough", I swear he puts a "k" sound on the end so it comes out like "ruck". It's really weird! You may have to listen to it loud or on headphones to catch it, but I've always noticed it (and I listen to that song A LOT...) Any ideas?? Please tell me I'm not imagining it!

You're not. FINALLY, after all these years, I have found someone else who hears that. Wow. I've never understood why it happens and I've always heard it at normal volume. :partytime:

Troubadour
06-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Yes! It's really odd... It's definitely there, and I have no idea why. Unless it was one of those weird throat noises that happens sometimes and they didn't catch it/didn't have the time or energy to edit it out. lol. Who knows!

Prettymaid
06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I love stuff like that!

Outlawman13
06-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I've heard that before (in my earphones) and had to ask myself if I was hearing that correctly. I love hearing it.

Witchy Woman
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM

Nope, I hear it too. You're not crazy !!

zeldabjr
06-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Wow...I just listened to the song with my headphones on...and yepper...I hear it too...can't believe I've been listening to this song for how long now?...38 years and never heard that before...amazing...

SteveJoburg
06-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Okay, just read this thread while on a coffee break. Very cool.

Have you ever had a case where you know you're hearing a lyric incorrectly but your brain refuses to accept it? When I was a kid I always heard "There's gonna be a party tonight, a party tonight, I know" when Heartache Tonight was playing... To my young mind it made sense... Fast, upbeat sounding song, party... Cool.

To this day, I STILL cannot unhear party tonight... My brain just won't hear heartache tonight... Sad but true!

Prettymaid
06-13-2013, 07:52 AM
I know what you mean, SJ. I guess it's hard for us to untrain our brains of something we heard ( or in this case thought we heard ) over and over, especially when it is put to music.

Oh, and for the record, I hear 'ruck'. What the :censored:? :hilarious:

wasl89
06-13-2013, 11:18 AM
In New York Minute I always heard "You better hang on to their neck" instead of "You better hang on tooth and nail"

Anybody else heard the same?

sodascouts
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Not I, but I have had that phenomenon occur before! I still sometimes sing "When it comes down to bein' friends" at the end of Tequila Sunrise, for instance.

cbecrad
06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh yes, I think we've all been there. For years I didn't know the lyric in HC was "Tiffany twisted." I thought it was "definitely twisted." I still catch myself singing that sometimes without thinking. There's tons of other songs my other artists I do that with too. Especially if it was a song from my childhood. We didn't have to convenience of looking up the lyrics on the internet so if the album didn't come with a lyric sheet we were screwed lol.

Dyan61
06-13-2013, 11:19 PM
In New York Minute I always heard "You better hang on to their neck" instead of "You better hang on tooth and nail"

That is EXACTLY what I heard too and I couldn't figure out how it made sense in the song so thank you so much for clearing that up for me...although I'll probably still sing it as neck hehehe :hilarious:

zeldabjr
06-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Oh yes, I think we've all been there. For years I didn't know the lyric in HC was "Tiffany twisted." I thought it was "definitely twisted." I still catch myself singing that sometimes without thinking. There's tons of other songs my other artists I do that with too. Especially if it was a song from my childhood. We didn't have to convenience of looking up the lyrics on the internet so if the album didn't come with a lyric sheet we were screwed lol.

the internet has been wonderful for learning how many song lyrics I've been screwing up all my life!!! LOL

Skpx
06-14-2013, 01:35 AM
It is published by Warner Bros. Publications. It is as official as you can get.

The bottom line is that neither word makes any sense at all, but the word is 'heavily'.

Maybe it is a Texas Twang/southern drawl, but I hear it perfectly ( as am from same area and such)...

Ol'55 I keep hearing "riding with faded love". When in my mind I know it is "Lady Luck" but I think of the song Faded Love playing on an old AM radio as he drives away... Seems more apropos ?

Troubadour
06-15-2013, 12:49 AM

LOL! Jess (Peekaboo) always used to sing the same thing. It has always cracked me up. :D

Henley Honey
06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
In Busy Being Fabulous, the line goes:
But now my baby, the joke is on you.

I always thought and is sound suspiciously like:
But knock knock baby, the joke is on you.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Just saw a tweet from a person who claims they always thought the song was 'Itchy Woman'. If you sing it like that, it is quite amusing. :D

Roey
10-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Had a good belly laugh over "Itchy Woman"...:hilarious:

bluefeather
10-08-2014, 05:43 PM
:hilarious: good one

sodascouts
10-08-2014, 05:53 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. I was listening to the Don Henley song "Who Owns this Place" and I cannot figure out the line after "you might get restless; I might get strange" at 1:50. It sounds like "everything you do [something something something]"

Anybody have a guess? Again, it occurs at 1:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YC-GqaVtc&list=RDvu9v6JGzNrw&index=5

I know what I have on the site isn't correct, but I don't know what to replace it with.

There's another part of the song I'm also confused about, but let's wait and see if anyone can clear this one up first!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2014, 06:00 PM
"I might get strange"? Where I come from that has a double meaning. I'll listen at home and see if I can pick out the rest.

zeldabjr
10-09-2014, 11:32 PM
really VA what meaning? now I'm very curious...

sounds like they're saying...everything you do says own the place...just a guess...

Houston Debutante
10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Does it say 'Everything you do stays on the place'?

DJ
10-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Wow I always thought it was pay Heavenly bills...:hilarious:

DJ
10-15-2014, 03:54 PM
So in the PEF song it states I like the way her sparklin earings lay, but.. Glenn has sung on more than one occasion I like the way her sparklin earrings sway.
So I asked Jack Tempchin and his reply was "ask Glenn" he sings it.

I know for a fact I've heard sway before but written word says lay.
So perhaps the guys change them up a bit, to keep us fans thinking! :laugh:

shunlvswx
10-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Glenn does sing sway in concert. I wonder when he changed lay to sway in concert.

Freypower
10-15-2014, 06:16 PM
He has been singing 'sway' since at least Farewell One. It sounds better. 'Lay' is not only awkward but grammatically incorrect as the word sholuld be 'lie' in that context. Earrings lie, not lay, against your skin (unless you are using past tense).

thelastresort
10-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Until about a year ago I used to think CKOF was 'They said that he was crazy / The kind an old lady should be' vice 'The kind that no lady should meet'. Another I only worked out literally the other day was that NKIT is 'It's those restless hearts that never mend'. I always said 'hearts that never met' :oops:

Brooke
10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
He has been singing 'sway' since at least Farewell One. It sounds better. 'Lay' is not only awkward but grammatically incorrect as the word sholuld be 'lie' in that context. Earrings lie, not lay, against your skin (unless you are using past tense).

I know that is correct, but I still like 'lay' better. I wondered if he changed it when his kids were getting older and would understand what 'lay' meant versus 'sway'. :wink: :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Since he likes to watch a woman dance, perhaps he just likes 'sway' better. In the context of 'lay', sway is better, too. It implies she's moving and not comatose.

UndertheWire
10-16-2014, 03:25 PM
"It's a girl, my Lord, in a plastic ford".

"flatbed" just wasn't in my vocabulary. I was picturing a pink car made of plastic, like Barbie drives.

DJ
10-16-2014, 04:11 PM
I know that is correct, but I still like 'lay' better. I wondered if he changed it when his kids were getting older and would understand what 'lay' meant versus 'sway'. :wink: :shrug:

I agree with the grammar, I'll bet that's why he did, he is a perfectionist.:soda:

Freypower
10-16-2014, 05:17 PM
I agree with the grammar, I'll bet that's why he did, he is a perfectionist.:soda:

Not entirely. If he were such a perfectionist nothing on earth would have induced him to sing 'got a icy chill' in Somebody. I love the song but that annoys me every time.

Prettymaid
10-16-2014, 05:49 PM
In some cases I like it when the singer/songwriter ignores good grammar. Can you imagine if every song you love was grammatically correct? :yuck:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I agree, PM! Sometimes completely proper grammar comes off as too perfect and irritating. Sometimes like you have a stick up your @$$. I don't believe in playing to the lowest common denominator, but let's face it, most people in the States are totally turned off by people who speak proper English (or Queen's English). Easy for me to say, as people from Western PA aren't known for an accent, per se, but we are known for poor grammar.

Freypower
10-16-2014, 07:02 PM
I honestly didn't mean to sound like a snob there. If I was that bothered with correct grammar I wouldn't listen to songs like Ain't It Love or I would get annoyed when I hear 'don't' used instead of 'doesn't' (e.g. Bread's It Don't Matter To Me). I don't like 'a icy chill' though because it's lazy. If others aren't bothered by it fair enough.

GlennLover
10-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Funny, I always heard the "sway" as "swing". Out of curiosity I checked Jack's website for the picture of the original words of the song that Jack had scribbled as they came to him. He had written "swing". That doesn't mean that it is what Glenn is singing though. This is the link to the picture http://www.peacefuleasyfeeling.com/peaceful_easy_feeling.php. It's interesting to read this & then look at how it evolved from there into a finished song.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2014, 07:28 PM
I honestly didn't mean to sound like a snob there. If I was that bothered with correct grammar I wouldn't listen to songs like Ain't It Love or I would get annoyed when I hear 'don't' used instead of 'doesn't' (e.g. Bread's It Don't Matter To Me). I don't like 'a icy chill' though because it's lazy. If others aren't bothered by it fair enough.

Well, it didn't bother me before you pointed it out! For all the poor grammar from those I grew up with, you, FP, are Facebook friends with me and probably have seen it, an/a is something we get right. They would have said, 'probably seen it'. :laugh:

Prettymaid
10-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I didn't think you were being snobbish, FP. I've never thought of the Somebody lyric one way or the other, but I thought your post was a good opportunity to discuss the general use of poor grammar in songs.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Nothing specific is coming to mind, but don't is often used incorrectly, instead of doesn't. Probably because they mean the same thing and 'don't' is one syllable and 'doesn't' is two.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but it wasn't until HC came out in CD (vs. vinyl or cassette) that I realized it was 'we are all just prisoners here' instead of 'we are all just visitors here'. "Of our own device" didn't make any sense to me with 'visitors', but it's what I thought none the less.

10-16-2014, 11:11 PM
"It's a girl, my Lord, in a plastic ford".y

"flatbed" just wasn't in my vocabulary. I was picturing a pink car made of plastic, like Barbie drives.

Okay UTW - Sorry it's at your expense, but this one really cracked me up! :thumbsup:

And I'm one that isn't bothered if lyrics aren't grammatically correct in songs as a general rule. In the case of Somebody, I actually like 'a icy chill'. I don't see it as lazy - it doesn't take any more effort to say 'an' than it does 'a'. I think it's done for effect. It kinda reminds me of Glenn sometimes pronounces an 'a' instead of an 'i' in some words. I Found Somebody immediately comes to mind when he sings "You got me 'sangin' this song".

thelastresort
10-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Another grammatically incorrect one is Henley's 'They don't know much of nothing' in FGOTBP. I should love that song as it's a typical Henley deconstruction of life, but I can't endear myself to it for some reason :eyebrow:

UndertheWire
10-17-2014, 07:52 AM
If we're being picky about grammar, I'm always bothered by
"Strange weather for you and I".

Freypower
10-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Okay UTW - Sorry it's at your expense, but this one really cracked me up! :thumbsup:

And I'm one that isn't bothered if lyrics aren't grammatically correct in songs as a general rule. In the case of Somebody, I actually like 'a icy chill'. I don't see it as lazy - it doesn't take any more effort to say 'an' than it does 'a'. I think it's done for effect. It kinda reminds me of Glenn sometimes pronounces an 'a' instead of an 'i' in some words. I Found Somebody immediately comes to mind when he sings "You got me 'sangin' this song".

OK then. I need my American friends to enlighten me about the peculiar pronunciation of the word 'twenty' as 'twONNY' in Hi Roller Baby ('you say you're old & you're twenty-five) & to a lesser extent in Long Hot Summer (the line 'twenty-four hours a day'). The classic example of the word being pronounced this way is in John Mellencamp's Livin' In Miami where he even sings 'livin' as 'livON' before asserting that 'I know you're nowhere near TWONNY'.

Why? I don't wish to offend anyone but I don't get it. I'm not talking about the t eliding into an n; that's fair enough. I'm talking about the complete change in the vowel sound from e to o.

Prettymaid
10-17-2014, 07:00 PM
OK then. I need my American friends to enlighten me about the peculiar pronunciation of the word 'twenty' as 'twONNY' in Hi Roller Baby ('you say you're old & you're twenty-five) & to a lesser extent in Long Hot Summer (the line 'twenty-four hours a day'). The classic example of the word being pronounced this way is in John Mellencamp's Livin' In Miami where he even sings 'livin' as 'livON' before asserting that 'I know you're nowhere near TWONNY'.

Why? I don't wish to offend anyone but I don't get it. I'm not talking about the t eliding into an n; that's fair enough. I'm talking about the complete change in the vowel sound from e to o.

Lol FP! While I was unable to find a YouTube video of Livin' In Miami or Hi Roller Baby, I was curious enough to go listen to Hi Roller Baby on my iPod. You're right, although I would say the e is being changed to a soft u, as in 'twunny'. I think as Americans we have gotten so used to sloppy English that we're not even phased by it anymore, and in fact sometimes we purposely use bad grammar for effect, not that I think that's the case in these songs.

I always remember a story a friend told me about when she and her husband moved from Illinois to Maine. A guy was talking to her and referred to his shoes as 'sneakers'. My friend found this very funny, as we don't use that word here in the Midwest, and she quickly took the opportunity to tease him.

"Sneakers? Sneakers?", she said. "What do you do, sneak around in them?"

"Well, what do you call them?", he asked.

"Tennashoes.", she replied.

"Why?", he said, "Do you play tennis in them?"

My friend replied "Not tennis! TENNA-SHOES!"

She honestly didn't know that they were actually called tennis shoes!

cynd1231
10-18-2014, 06:33 PM
This one isn't 'misheard' but I have to remind myself sometimes. The chorus of "Already Gone" is 'I will sing this victory song' and the word victory is very clear but for some reason I always want to sing 'whiskey'. Maybe it's because I associate the song with their earlier days when partying was more the norm, before they 'grew up'.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Cynd, I'm thinking that maybe you're the party girl and that's why it's 'whiskey' for you? :hilarious:

PM, I call them sneakers, too! I grew up calling them tennis shoes, but when I moved to the DC area, everyone called them sneakers, so I did too.

FP, I often say twunny instead of twenty. I think most say twenny, but I've heard twonny, too. I can tell you very few people pronounce the second 't' on a regular basis. How I pronounce things depends on who I'm talking to, I guess. When I'm getting my country on, all rules go out the window!

Freypower
10-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Just regarding that; in Smuggler's Blues he sings 'twenty'. By the time of Love In The 21st Century it sounds more like 'twonny' or 'twunny'.

(and those shoes were sneakers until I met my husband who calls them trainers & that's what I call them now).

There are probably a lot more examples of American pronunciation & slang used in their songs which might strike me as odd but obviously woudn't to Americans.

I shouldn't stray too far away from the misheard idea, but in LROOE, in the last verse I wonder if 'the road to empire is a bloody stupid waste' literally bloody in the way he refers to 'bloody deeds' in The Last Resort or could there be a hint of the way the expression is used in the UK (and Australia) as in 'bloody hell'? After all we know that Don has some fondness for British slang in his use of the word 'snogging' in FGOTBP & 'bloody stupid' is a common expression.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Knowing Don, it's both slang and literal!

cynd1231
10-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks VA, I'm flattered - but I'm not a party girl at all, LOL. Those two Bloody Mary's in Omaha is the most alcohol I've had in one sitting in years! I did have a beer and chat with other concert-goers when I got back to the hotel after the show but I really am a lightweight in that regard. 'Whiskey' just fits in that spot even if it doesn't make any sense!

As for the shoe issue, I think it tends to be regional. Thru the years I've heard them called tennis shoes, tennies, tennipumps or commuters (it was a 'Bahston' thing), sneakers, and trainers. There are also those who refer to them by brand, i.e., Keds, Nikes, Pumas.

And on the 'twenty' discussion, I've lived in Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit and L.A. - and every region has it's own way of saying it. I will note, however, that a lot of southerners tend to speak with a 'lazy jaw' (no offense intended, I have many dear friends in the South and love them!) and slip into that pattern myself if I'm speaking with someone who has even a trace of a southern drawl. Likewise when I'm back east my speech patterns adapt to the New England accent (cah, yad, Havahd). My ear sends it to my brain and my mouth makes the adjustment!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Are we sure it's not Twitchy Woman? :hilarious:

sodascouts
10-26-2014, 08:49 PM
In my History of the English Language class, we were going over the different permutations of English pronunciation as they developed across the globe. There is no such thing as a "correct" accent in theory, although many British people would vehemently disagree since over there, accents have traditionally been a marker of class (see My Fair Lady). Accepted, "proper" pronunciation is a social construct that develops and changes over time and varies with region. Tuh-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe, they're both "correct."

That "Life in the Fast Lane" lyric, whether it's "heavily" or "heavenly", continues to annoy me due to its awkwardness more than its grammatical purity.

Freypower
11-03-2014, 04:46 PM
I've got one!

Until literally five minutes ago I thought the line in The Boys Of Summer was 'the sun is out of reach'. Answering the last post in Name That Eagles Tune I find it's 'the summer's out of reach'. I prefer the first version.:-?

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Reviving this thread as it was mentioned elsewhere...

Those Shoes:

"All those jerk-offs in their fancy cars"
or
"All those jagoffs in their fancy cars"

I vote the former... but I think it might be one of those cases where people are bound to hear different things, so everyone decide for themselves!

thelastresort
12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Never heard it as anything other than the former.

Brooke
12-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Same here!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-26-2014, 12:07 PM
I guess if you've never heard the word before, you'd never hear it in a song. My family was here yesterday and I asked them what the word was. Not only did they say 'jag-off', they looked at me like I was an idiot for asking. It came as a surprise to most of them that it's not a word said outside of the area, and that most people have never heard it before. Because it's a word we'd expect to hear in the lyrics at that point, they wondered if we heard what we expected instead of what was actually said. Until this discussion, it never occurred to me it could be anything else.

I've just listened to it five times with the Bose headphones. Even trying to hear an 'r', I just don't hear it. As I said, watching him in concert, you hold your mouth differently for 'jag' than you do for 'jerk', I'm thinking it's 'jag'. However, listening to the Millennium Concert, I do hear the 'r' on the same headphones quite easily.

Obviously, we need the HOTE tour on DVD so we can analyze this further. :D

12-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I also think it's a case of hearing what we are most familiar with. I only hear it as jerk-off. Like VA's family, I'm surprised at any suggestion of it being anything else - just the other way around. :thumbsup:

GlennLover
12-26-2014, 03:16 PM
I also think it's a case of hearing what we are most familiar with. I only hear it as jerk-off. Like VA's family, I'm surprised at any suggestion of it being anything else - just the other way around. :thumbsup:

I agree with you Dreamer.

Funk 50
04-01-2015, 07:56 AM
The rarest record I ever bought was Ringo Starr's Old Wave album. In perfect condition it'd be worth an absolute fortune but I ruined it by dragging the needle all over it to, line by line, write down and learn all the lyrics.

Joe wrote the song titled, Be My Baby for the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-fCsyDUB4

It begins;

Formal introductions
such a waste of time
Let's get down to business

Over 30 years later, I've found, Be My Baby on an internet lyric site.

Ringo Starr - Be My Baby Lyrics | MetroLyrics

http://www.metrolyrics.com/be-my-baby-lyrics-ringo-starr.html

HORMONE IN PRODUCTION,
SUCH A WASTE OF TIME,
LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Have I been singing it wrong all these years? :!:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Good one, F50!!

I've been meaning to mention to everyone and I keep forgetting, I've been getting malware warnings on the AZ lyrics sites. Folks may want to avoid those...

04-04-2015, 01:43 PM
My guess is that 'formal introductions' is correct.

And back to Eagles songs - I have one that I came across last week. In Midnight Flyer is it "Engineer, won't you let your whistle blow" or "Engineer, won't you let your whistle moan"? I think it's the latter.

thelastresort
04-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I've always had it down as 'moan'. Of course, the more pressing issue with that sentence is the use of engineer ;)

GlennLover
04-04-2015, 02:51 PM
I hear it as "moan" as well.

Jonny Come Lately
04-05-2015, 04:13 AM
I'm another one who hears 'moan' on Midnight Flyer.

One thought I've had relating to the engineer line in Midnight Flyer (I see exactly what you're getting at tlr :thumbsup: ) is how Don sings about 'autumn leaves' in Wasted Time, using the British word 'autumn' instead of the American 'fall'. I guess the idea of using this word came more naturally to Don than it would have to most of his contemporaries given that he's probably read more British literature than them over the years.

thelastresort
04-05-2015, 06:53 AM
... how Don sings about 'autumn leaves' in Wasted Time, using the British word 'autumn' instead of the American 'fall'. I guess the idea of using this word came more naturally to Don than it would have to most of his contemporaries given that he's probably read more British literature than them over the years.

That's quite relevant to this thread as for ages I thought the line was 'All the years have got you thinking'! Can't believe I never noticed that before, and would agree: it also rolls off the tongue better. Henley does that on occasion: see the use of 'snogging' in FGOTBP, and (I'm presuming this was intentional) the 'bloody' double-entendre in LROOE.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-12-2015, 12:57 AM
OK, two things here... I've lived all my live in the US, have not traveled abroad, and most of my life I lived in areas of the country most would consider 'redneck' areas. In my experience, most people use the word 'autumn'. Mostly because you can't say the 'fall leaves are falling', it sounds ridiculous. Everyone says 'the autumn leaves are falling'. I wouldn't consider the word a British word at all! I will say that we do use both words and don't stick with just one.

Second thing is a question. What is wrong with 'engineer'? I'm not getting why it's an issue? What other word would be used? Unless I'm mistaken, on most trains, only the engineer has control of the whistle, though of course these days, I believe it can be controlled by a central location not even on the train.

Dreamer, I've always heard 'moan', too.

Funk 50
04-12-2015, 04:26 AM
What is wrong with 'engineer'? I'm not getting why it's an issue? What other word would be used? Unless I'm mistaken, on most trains, only the engineer has control of the whistle, though of course these days, I believe it can be controlled by a central location not even on the train.

I'd like to know too. I always thought the guys at the front of a train, working the steam engine, were known as engineers.

04-12-2015, 12:31 PM
I agree with you too, VA - on both points.

thelastresort
04-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Second thing is a question. What is wrong with 'engineer'? I'm not getting why it's an issue? What other word would be used? Unless I'm mistaken, on most trains, only the engineer has control of the whistle, though of course these days, I believe it can be controlled by a central location not even on the train.

Dreamer, I've always heard 'moan', too.

I wasn't making a serious point, it's just that in Britain we call them drivers (be it steam or any other traction) - as the son of a train driver I can't let it slide ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
04-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I wasn't making a serious point, it's just that in Britain we call them drivers (be it steam or any other traction) - as the son of a train driver I can't let it slide ;)

I thought of that after I commented, that those who made and agreed with the comment lived outside of the US, so I wondered what you called them!

DJ
04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
My guess is that 'formal introductions' is correct.

And back to Eagles songs - I have one that I came across last week. In Midnight Flyer is it "Engineer, won't you let your whistle blow" or "Engineer, won't you let your whistle moan"? I think it's the latter.

I've always heard Engineer won't ya let your whistle moan also. :soda:

Brooke
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
It's moan for me too!

And I didn't know that an engineer was a 'driver' across the pond either.

thelastresort
05-06-2015, 05:40 PM
I've been listening to BOML a lot recently (I love the way they do it in the HOTE shows) and it reminded me that until I saw the sub-forum on here, I always thought it was 'cheap-talkin' wine'. Kinda makes sense I guess... :lol:

UndertheWire
05-07-2015, 10:09 AM
I've been listening to BOML a lot recently (I love the way they do it in the HOTE shows) and it reminded me that until I saw the sub-forum on here, I always thought it was 'cheap-talkin' wine'. Kinda makes sense I guess... :lol:
That's what is sounds like to me so I had to look it up - "cheap talk and wine". Will it sound like that now I know?

Fleurette767
05-07-2015, 03:55 PM
OK, two things here... I've lived all my live in the US, have not traveled abroad, and most of my life I lived in areas of the country most would consider 'redneck' areas. In my experience, most people use the word 'autumn'. Mostly because you can't say the 'fall leaves are falling', it sounds ridiculous. Everyone says 'the autumn leaves are falling'. I wouldn't consider the word a British word at all! I will say that we do use both words and don't stick with just one.

Reminds me of Autumn Leaves that really melancholy jazz instrumental too.

NightMistBlue
05-07-2015, 05:25 PM

Thank you for reminding me that I wanted to look up who wrote that song. Paul Craft, a songwriter from Memphis. Aww, he died a few months ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Craft

Freypower
09-16-2015, 08:12 PM
I've just seen a fantastic misheard line! I was reading Don's Wall Street Journal interview & a comment below suggested he write a sequel to the song about 'that tired old man with the electric cane'(!), who, the commenter then says, 'ended the Cold War'.

Funk 50
09-17-2015, 02:39 AM
Great one Freypower, it's so feasible isn't it. Always wondered how the old dodder-er managed to be the most powerful man on the planet (Reagan). :grin:

NOLA
09-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Really enjoying this thread, because I've mistaken many of the same lyrics!

- LITFL: Always thought the word was "heavenly."

- TKOH: Soda, ITA with "sex-starved monkey." Thought it was a great slang expression that paired well with "power junkie."

- MF: "moan" vice "blow."

I'd like to add two more:

- LE: "refuSe" vice "refuGe." Trashy life or trashy mansion?

- LBG: "They write me letters, tell me I'm great." Thought Joe sang, "They write Tim letters, tell him I'm straight." As in heterosexual or sober??

GlennLover
09-17-2015, 01:12 PM
The LBG lines you heard could be right. Joe often changes the lyrics in concert. I have heard him say "They send Tim letters" before. When I heard it he said after that "tell me Glenn's great".

AlreadyGone95
09-17-2015, 05:46 PM
On the Eagles Live album Joe says "They write Tim letters, tell Glenn Don's great". He's also changed letters to emails.

09-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Yeah - I think Joe has many version's of that line in LBG - he's even updated it for the information age. Most recent versions go either, "They send me emails, tell me Glenn's great" or "They send Tim emails, tell Don Glenn's great". I get a kick out of it no matter how many times I hear it.

Re: Lyin' Eyes - I'm pretty sure it's 'every form of refuge has it's price'.

I have another one that always bothers me and I've meant to bring it up before. I thought about it again last weekend when I went to see the tribute band, Eaglemania. In Those Shoes, most of the searches on the web have this line as ...

'All those jerk-offs in their fancy cars, you can't believe your reviews'

To me, that doesn't make any sense - I always heard it as ...

'All those jerk-offs in their fancy cars, you can't believe you're refused'

I watch the Eaglemania singer closely as he sung the song and it sure looked like he sang 'you're refused' to me. I feel the same way when I've seen Don sing it in the HotE shows.

I'd love to hear what others have to say about this one.

Freypower
09-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I used to think it was 'refused' and to this day I think 'refused' makes sense. 'Reviews' of what? You review restuarants or movies, not people. 'Refused' means the people the woman is trying to attract aren't falling for it. They are saying no to her despite all her 'efforts'. If you stretch it you can say they have 'reviewed' her and found her wanting, but it's very awkward.

For the record when I saw them I thought Don sang 'reviews' because that is what I have been led to believe is the actual word used. If it is refused after all, I will be pleased.

AlreadyGone95
09-19-2015, 06:32 PM
I've only heard the studio version. The first few times I heard it, I thought it was reviews. That was just hearing it on the radio. Once I bought The Long Run on cd and played it with my earphones in, I heard it as refused. It sounds like he's gonna say reviews, but then I definitely hear "used" at the end. I think that refused fits the lyrical content of the song.

AlreadyGone95
09-19-2015, 07:32 PM
I've got 2:

Hotel California:
Real lyrics: The pink champagne on ice
Mine: They put champagne on ice

Until a few months ago, I'd never heard of pink champagne!

Smuggler's Blues:
Real lyrics: You be cool for twenty hours and I'll pay you twenty grand
Mine: You be cool for twenty hours and I'll pay you twenty one.

Try as I might, I don't hear Glenn say grand on the studio version. :shrug:

NOLA
09-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Dreamer, I've always heard "refused" in TS. The second syllable really stands out, IMO. It's nearly the same word that I hear in LE, too.

Freypower
09-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Lyin' Eyes is 'refuge'. The meaning is clear - a place of refuge. Refuse in its other meaning means rubbish which is not what the lyric of this song refers to at all.

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/refuse

And in LE the emphaiss is on the first syllable, while in TS it is on the second syllable.

shunlvswx
09-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Instead of ""for this tired man that we elected king", I would say, "for this tired man with the electric can."

sodascouts
09-28-2015, 07:44 PM
I used to think it was "you're refused" until I read the lyrics in the songbook.

If you think about it, though, it doesn't make sense that SHE'D be refused because the guys all want her. She's the one refusing to go with them. To work, the line would need to be "They can't believe you refuse" or something like that.

I still don't like "reviews", but that's what the material says the word is. I guess musicians who get reviewed a lot might relate the word more to the insulting nature of people constantly judging you.

NightMistBlue
09-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Instead of ""for this tired man that we elected king", I would say, "for this tired man with the electric can."

LOL - I prefer your lyric :)

MarthaJo56
07-11-2020, 05:02 PM
I don't know if this has been talked about before, but here goes.

Are there any Eagles' song lyrics that you've sung wrong, only to find out what they really are?

For years, I thought the line in "Desperado" was "don't your feet get cold in the wintertime?"

I'd love to hear your misheard lyrics :grin:

07-12-2020, 12:11 PM
MJ - I moved your post to this old thread. You didn't indicate what you thought the lyrics in Desperado are, but I believe "Don't your feet get cold in the wintertime?" is correct.

This is a long thread, but if you read through it, one thing is certain, it's hard to find reliable sources for song lyrics unless it comes directly out of the songwriter's lips. We even found instances where there are supposedly 'official' publications that have discrepancies in song lyrics.

There is also another thread on the board for misheard lyrics for non-Eagles songs.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?4340-Misheard-Lyrics-for-non-Eagles-songs

Elle81
09-13-2020, 04:35 PM
Hotel California

my lyrics: Her man is definitely twisted

real lyrics: Her mind is Tiffany twisted

My sister's name is Tiffany and for a long time both of us sang the wrong lyrics. Even she didn't pick up on her name being mentioned. :doh:

CAinOH
09-13-2020, 06:09 PM
Hotel California

my lyrics: Her man is definitely twisted

real lyrics: Her mind is Tiffany twisted

My sister's name is Tiffany and for a long time both of us sang the wrong lyrics. Even she didn't pick up on her name being mentioned. :doh:

That's hilarious. My favorite (on purpose) misquote from Hotel California is: And she picked up a Ken doll. Then she threw it away. I heard horses at the corner store. I thought I heard them neigh. (Like I said, all on purpose!) :)

Elle81
09-13-2020, 06:15 PM
That's hilarious. My favorite (on purpose) misquote from Hotel California is: And she picked up a Ken doll. Then she threw it away. I heard horses at the corner store. I thought I heard them neigh. (Like I said, all on purpose!) :)

Haha! Its like whenever I hear Elton John's Tiny Dancer, when I'm feeling silly I'll sing the version Phoebe sang on Friends: Hold me closer Tony Danza.

edwardd19
09-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Desperado

Misheard lyric : Desperado
Why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences
OH RENEGADE
It may be rainin'
But there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you

Correct lyric : Desperado
Why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences
Open the gate
It may be rainin'
But there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you

This whole time i thought that Henley was singing "oh renegade" until i. was watching the "MTV 1994" special and i had subtitles on by accident and saw that he was saying "open the gate" :drool::-?

Elle81
09-14-2020, 06:41 PM
For a while I had heard the Take It Easy line "in a flatbed Ford" as "bright red Ford"

Funny story: After I had found the correct lyrics on the internet, a friend of mine who is a classic car enthusiast was talking to me and my other friends about older model Fords and he said "a flatbed Ford" and I laughed and sang out "slowing down to take a look at me" He stared at me for a minute with one eyebrow raised as if he were thinking "you are a strange one", shook his head and kept right on with the conversation. :razz: