PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening in Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Troubadour
04-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Thoughts are still with you guys - glad Amanda's blood pressure went down again quickly. Bet you can't wait to meet your granddaughter!

MikeA
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
On schedule. I have Miles now and Amanda should be checked in to the hospital. We should hear something soon after they "evaluate" her. No problems except that she came apart as she left Miles with us and he said after hugging her, "Goodbye Mommy....have a good day!" It is a routine they go through whenever they "part" for school or when they drop him off over at our house. But it really got to Amanda tonight <smile....sniff>.

pueblo47
04-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Awwwwww....:hug:

MikeA
04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
It's A Girl!

Megan, born around 6am this morning. 6 lb 13 oz, 19" and I'm told she is beautiful. Amanda is doing fine.

We got a call around 4:15 April 12. It was Phil calling for Verna. He said "Amanda wants her Mom here NOW!" Her water had broke, she was dialated to 4 and wasn't waiting to being induced!

No pictures yet though I'm sure they've been taken. I'll get some posted just as soon as I get my hands on them. I Can't Go Up There Now. I've got Miles and he's still asleep. But as soon as he wakes up and has something to eat, we're heading up there so he can see his new Sister!

Prettymaid
04-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Congratulation Mike! Megan's a lucky little girl. She's got a wonderful grandpa!

ticky
04-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Awe Mike!! Congratulations! A baby girl! How exciting! it doesnt seem all that long ago we were talking about how scary this whole I idea was and how much I hoped it was a little girl! and now a whole new person is in the world *G* too freakin cool! I am sooo happy for all of you! and I cant wait to hear all about her. Welcome to the world, baby girl *G*

Brooke
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Congratulations Mike!

And to your whole family! I'm sure little Miles is very excited, as well as everyone else. I'm glad everything went well and now the fun begins!

TimothyBFan
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Congrats to Amanda, Phil, Miles, Verna & Papa and especially to Megan. Welcome to the world!!! And so very tiny!

Can't wait to see the pics real soon!

sodascouts
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Congrats Mike and family! I'm looking forward to seeing photos of little Megan!

GlennLover
04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
CONGRATS to everyone, Mike! Glad mother & baby (& Grandpa) are doing fine!

Koala
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Babys/smilie_baby_056.gif
Congrats Mike and to the whole family!
Can't wait to see pics from Megan!

Troubadour
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
YAY!!!!!

Congratulations to all - so glad little Megan arrived safely! Like everyone else, I can't wait to see photographs.

MikeA
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Here's the first round of pictures I took this morning. The little angel was wide awake when I got my hands on her. Look around and just as happy as could be!

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2010_0412_Megan/2010_0412_Megan.html

EagleLady
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Awww She's adorable

sodascouts
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
She's precious!

Koala
04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Megan is really adorable!

TimothyBFan
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
She is just perfect!!!!

ticky
04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Awe Mike!! she's beautiful and perfect and gorgeous!!! I am sooo happy for you!

Troubadour
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Awww! So cute!

Wildthyme
04-12-2010, 03:45 PM
She's just beautiful Mike... congratulations to the whole family on your new addition!!

Peekaboo
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Mike, I had to come to this thread first because I just knew that there would be a new life in this world today. Megan looks so adorable. Congratulations to your whole family. Such a joy!!:)

Brooke
04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Awwwwww, so sweet! Congratulations to all!

Molly
04-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Congratulations, Mike! She's gorgeous! Glad everyone is doing well.

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
We are about 6 hours ahead of you over here and all I could think at work this morning was 'Wonder has Amanda had the baby yet'. I'm so glad she has and that everything went so well. Congratulations to you all. Amanda looks great, Megan looks sooo sweet and Miles looks every bit the proud big brother. As for Grandaddy...............proud as punch.

Enjoy your new Arrival!!

MikeA
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Appreciate all the congrats. I finished my part in this play about 32 years or so ago! But I'm sure proud of my Daughter and HER part in it!

We're heading back up there in just a few minutes. Can't wait to get my hands on Megan again.....and again and again!

Freypower
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Mike, warmest congratulations to you and your family on the birth of Megan! Lovely photos! :angel:

MikeA
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's the "First Family". Nothing significant in that name other than it was the first picture taken of our entire family with Megan in it.

Kinda funny. I got this new camera you see, and I don't know how to work it quite right yet. It has this timer that isn't supposed to go off until it "recognizes" a new face in the picture that has been framed. Well, I guess I didn't have it set quite right. I set it and started for the place left for me in the line-up and about the time I got in front of the camera, it started shooting pictures...about one every second! I looked at it later and guess I set it on 10 shots instead of 10 seconds. Got some good pictures of my butt as I made my way into the frame! <LOL> But the 10th one did work.

pueblo47
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Awwww, good group shot(let's see the butt shots too:hilarious:)nice looking family and the baby is way too cute. You are so lucky........

Stars
04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Great picture, Mike! Congrats! Wishing you all much happiness!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for posting that, Mike! Lovely family!

GlennLover
04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Lovely, Mike!

Koala
04-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Awww, what a lovely family photo!

AzEaglesFan
04-14-2010, 01:55 AM
What a beautiful family. Megan is a very lucky little girl to be born into a family with so much love to shower on her.

eaglesvet
04-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Congratulations on the new addition, Mike! (It took me ages to get through the 3+ pages documenting the event...I haven't been here in a few days!) :thumbsup::partytime::angel:

Prettymaid
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Funny story about the camera Mike. Who of us hasn't been involved in a "timed' picture where something goes wrong the first couple of times? :hilarious:

Congratulations to you all! Megan's beautiful!

Brooke
04-14-2010, 10:20 AM
:laugh: What a nice pic of the whole family! And your av is adorable!

MikeA
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I should appologize for hi-jacking the thread....but when compared to everything else that is "Happening In My Life"....it all pales to Megan getting here and both she and Amanda coming through in such champion form!

But she is "cute" isn't she <LOL>

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I should appologize for hi-jacking the thread....but when compared to everything else that is "Happening In My Life"....it all pales to Megan getting here and both she and Amanda coming through in such champion form!

But she is "cute" isn't she <LOL>

Awww Mike :hug: You didn't hijack it. We all love the 'human interest' stories and its wonderful to have one with such a lovely ending. Enjoy spreading the word.

Oh she is VERYYYYYYYYYYYYY cute. :nod: :nod: :nod:

And I just LOVE your new avatar.

TimothyBFan
04-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Agreed GA on all of the above!!! Glad we could all share it with you Mike!!!

Brooke
04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
And it's wonderful to hear about good stuff happening to people once in a while! :nod:

pueblo47
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey, no one minds you "hijacking" this thread. An event like that is wonderful and we love that you are sharing it with us.:partytime:

Peekaboo
04-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Wonderful family picture, Mike. Just lovely. You all look so happy. :)

I'm back in my home town for a few days. It's been over a month since i've been home. We went to my niece's soccer game yesterday and she is doing so good this year. Last year she was really shy and would barely kick the ball when it came to her and would sometimes cry because she would get scared and wouldn't want to play. This year she's out there running with all the kids and getting in there to get the ball. I'm so proud of her. After the game she ran up to me and gave me a big hug and I told her how proud of her I am and that she's doing so good out there. She replied, "I know Auntie. I'm awesome now." Yes, Nat, you most certainly are :thumbsup:. Another thing I'm really proud about is that for her upcoming 6th birthday Nat says that she wants a guitar (sniff sniff). A pink guitar to be more specific. She's growing up so fast.

MikeA
04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Well Jess, I don't know much about "pink guitars". But if she wants "pink" don't get her red or any other color than PINK! When working with kids and music, I don't believe in giving them any excuse to get discouraged and give it up.

Glennsallnighter
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
We got Laura (at her request) a gorgeous Pink 'Hello Kitty' guitar for her 7th birthday. Its electric but I think you can get them as accoustic ones as well.

I've trawled through my pics to find one of it but no joy!

Troubadour
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
A pink guitar? Nat's got good taste! ;) I remember you sending me a picture of Laura with that guitar a while back, Lisa. Looked like she was very proud of it!

I've had a weird few days. I've been posting about the flight disruptions in the San Jose thread, so I won't go on about it here. Suffice to say that it has obviously caused me quite a bit of stress in terms of worrying about getting to America on Thursday! It's still uncertain, but it's looking more promising. To be honest, at this stage, as long as I make the shows, I'll be happy. I feel for the thousands of people who have been stranded away from home and have had to fork out hundreds of pounds for alternative modes of transport and for accommodation. My situation is nothing compared to theirs. (Still, the thought of losing out on a front row seat at an Eagles show - and all that money - sucks, to put it mildly!)

I also had an incident at work yesterday, which has left me feeling pretty sore and tender today. I was pushed in the chest by one of the guys and landed on my back on the concrete before I even knew what had happened. I'm a little bruised, but I'll live. It's sod's law that it had to happen on the last shift before my holiday though!

On the positive side, I had a lovely long lunch with one of my best friends from school on Monday. We sat outside in the sunshine, at a country pub, and just talked. It was great to see her again. She's been having a bit of a rough time lately, and I know it did her a lot of good. The weather here has been beautiful lately. It feels like summer has finally begun.

sodascouts
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
What ups and downs, Troub! Hang in there!

This weekend, I decided to (gasp) CLEAN. Those of you who have visited my apartment know that's a rarity. I even hired someone to scrub my kitchen floors and bathroom! It was because of the dinner party I'm hosting this Friday - I didn't want to gross anyone out with the state of my kitchen - but while she was doing her thing in the kitchen, I was taking care of the rest of the place.

It's truly amazing how much useless crap one accumulates, and I also finally realized how out of control my live bootleg collection has become. They were piling up everywhere and as I tried to sort them, I realized that I have over 300 CDs of live shows. They line one wall of my bedroom in multiple bookcases and I still have several piles to go through! But what can I say, I'm a collector and a completist and trade with bunches of people, and it all adds up!

Stars
04-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Troub, so sorry to hear about your incident at work. I am so glad that you weren't badly hurt. It sounds like your decision to go into another line of work is a good one!:thumbsup:
So glad you had a chance to spend time with your friend. I'm sure just being around you lifted her spirits!:hug:
Soda, you are inspiring me to do some cleaning too-this place is beginning to look like a junk store!:hilarious:

Prettymaid
04-20-2010, 07:36 AM
!
This weekend, I decided to (gasp) CLEAN. Those of you who have visited my apartment know that's a rarity. I even hired someone to scrub my kitchen floors and bathroom! It was because of the dinner party I'm hosting this Friday - I didn't want to gross anyone out with the state of my kitchen - but while she was doing her thing in the kitchen, I was taking care of the rest of the place.

You're hosting the dinner party at your place??!! Are you cooking? For how many??!! (I can hardly wrap my brain around this...) :wink:

Prettymaid
04-20-2010, 07:39 AM
I also had an incident at work yesterday, which has left me feeling pretty sore and tender today. I was pushed in the chest by one of the guys and landed on my back on the concrete before I even knew what had happened. I'm a little bruised, but I'll live. It's sod's law that it had to happen on the last shift before my holiday though!

Was it an accident? Was he angry? You could have been seriously injured!

TimothyBFan
04-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Soda, you are inspiring me to do some cleaning too-this place is beginning to look like a junk store!:hilarious:
She's inspiring me to get some more bootlegs! :shock: What a collection--300!! How cool!! Anything good? :hilarious:

Troub-sorry to hear about the incident and glad you weren't hurt to badly. I bet that's scary when something like that happens.

Troubadour
04-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Was it an accident? Was he angry? You could have been seriously injured!

He was angry. I have no idea why, and there was no warning, it just came out of nowhere. Unfortunately, I was the nearest person and he just hit out at me and ran off. I was pretty close to hitting my head on a concrete wall nearby. Thankfully I wasn't seriously injured, but I am bruised where I landed, and the left side of my neck and shoulder is really stiff and painful today, presumably from the jolt.

You're right, Stars - it does reinforce my decision to switch jobs very soon!

MikeA
04-20-2010, 08:26 AM
So now we know a little more about our "Nanc". She's a "Pilot": sees something over here and start a pile. See something over there and "pilot" over in with the other pile.

Actually, I can understand it clearly. My CD changer on my audio/video center holds 300 CDs and it it pretty much full. I'd rather have my CDs in a "Pile" I think. I can never find the CD that I'm wanting to listen to in that rotisary changer! I tried keeping a hardcopy index, but the first time you pull out several CDs to take with you on a road trip, the index becomes useless.

Consequently, I've began just recording my origianl CDs onto my phone and listen to the phone when on the road. Works well when I'm by myself, but not so good when Verna and I are both traveling. I'm looking into finding an adapter that will let me modify the radio in our car and truck to accept a headphone type plug from an MP3/Phone.

Molly
04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
You're hosting the dinner party at your place??!! Are you cooking? For how many??!! (I can hardly wrap my brain around this...) :wink:

OK-this made me smile!

Good for you, Nancy! You'll do fine. Knowing you, though, by the end of the week we all may need to remind you to....breathe....relax....:cool:

Molly
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Good grief, Louise! Thank goodness you weren't seriously hurt!

I hope all that soreness goes away quickly.

sodascouts
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM

LOL! Yeah, I haven't hosted a party here since my dissertation defense party in July 2008!

One of my friends decided that a few of us should get together and have a dinner party once every month. Each of us would take a turn hosting it. Eventually.... it became my turn. At first I figured I would just order a couple pizzas, but one of my friends is a vegan and one is allergic to cheese so that wasn't gonna fly. My solution: veggie fajitas. How hard can it be to sautee? The other girls will bring the side dishes. And one of my friends is coming over to help me cook so that should be OK... especially since she's also bringing margarita mix. lol

The grand total of guests besides myself: 5. My cat Milton is gonna freak! He gets upset when I have more than 2 people over.

Troubadour
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
LOL! Poor Milton. Veggie fajitas? Sounds like my kind of dinner party!

Wildthyme
04-20-2010, 01:02 PM
So somehow I got myself roped into taking care of my friend Peggy's teenaged stepkids for the next few days. She works out of town during the week and her husband found out yesterday he is has to commute 150 miles one way to a special project area this week for work. So I am driving the boys to school then picking them up after and running them to karate and wrestling practice. And then I get to feed them and make sure they do their homework and chores. I have no idea what to do or say to two teens I barely know and who both resent having to have a "babysitter". And I don't understand what the problem with their mother is. She lives only a few blocks away and absolutely refuses to help out with this situation. Part of what is annoying me so much is that it seems like Peggy only has time for being my friend when she needs something like this. Or maybe I am just overreacting to a situation that makes me really uncomfortable. Oh well, at least its only until Friday.

And thankfully Nancy's fajitas give me an idea of what to cook for dinner tomorrow :thumbsup:

Troubadour
04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry that has been dumped on you, Cami. I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable. I hope things go as smoothly as possible over the next couple of days anyway, and that your friend appreciates your efforts!

EagleLady
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Awww, I'm sorry Cami. Hopefully you can make the best of it

Prettymaid
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
My solution: veggie fajitas. How hard can it be to sautee?

Nancy, I think even you can handle that! :nod:

Cami, I'd like to introduce you to a little word in the English language we like to call "no". :wink:

Wildthyme
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Lou and EL. She and her husband have thanked me over and over and even offered to pay me (no way I am taking it but I told them they could buy me a tank of gas if they wanted). Its just that I really struggle when I have to deal with kids this age. Give me a five year old that I can play dolls with or color with and I am in my element (what exactly does that say about my maturity level?? :lol:) but teens are a total enigma.

PM... No is never easy for me to say especially when I am feeling guilty about saying it... :sigh:

TimothyBFan
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Let me give you a couple sets of words that make ANY teenage boy ecstatic & joyful.....VIDEO GAME CONSOLE & FAST FOOD. It might actually be easier for YOU to do their homework and chores than trying to make them. :ack:
Glad I could help! :lol:

Seriously, don't you hate when people put you in that position. It's so frickin' hard to say no! I feel for ya---good luck with it!

Glennsallnighter
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Cami! You are an Angel to do that for your friend and I can understand your misgivings, but you know, I'd say deep down those teenagers are pleased that you are keeping tabs on them. I hope its going ok. Don't push for conversation or activity. Just be there for them and build up their trust in you. I bet by Freyday you'll be asking them back to you for the Summer.

Lou, that sounded like a nasty attack when you texted me the other day. I hope you are feeling better by now. I agree with Stars, definitely a good time to change career. Hopefully by the weekend you'll be safely in the States ready to wave your arms to cheer Don/

Soda, sounds like you have a lovely evening planned, and a cool menu. I love all kinds of Fajitas. Enjoy yourselves.

ticky
04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Camicami-bo-bami You know how I feel about all that, but I think Willie's right here, if they have their video games and pizza, they'll be fine. Otherwise just talk and listen. I know Jenni was devastated but I used to have long conversations with her friends. *G* Jenni's embarrassment was just a bonus *G* You'll do fine, but next time tell them, "OH sorry, I cant!" Im pretty sure they'll understand.

Awe Lou! I had no idea about your fall the other day when we talked! I hope you feel better! That's one of the scariest situations you can get in to! Im glad you're moving on.

I have some exciting news. I am going to my First (of many I hope) book release parties on Saturday at 2pm at the Oregon Historical Society!! They said there would be readings all afternoon. I dont know if I'll be reading or they'll expect ME to ready (gak!!!) but It'll be thrilling to be there!!

Prettymaid
04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Ticky-Ticky bo Bicky - Way to go! Hey, I've got an idea - why don't you take along and read an excerpt from The Long Story - a really juicy part! Can you imagine them all sitting there at the end like this...:applause::applause::applause:

MikeA
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Ticky! :yay: What a milestone! I'm excited for you!

sodascouts
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Awesome, ticky!!

Cami, good luck with those teens. I think you should accept money for that kind of commitment of your time and energy. Seriously.

Koala
04-21-2010, 01:13 AM
WT, I'm sorry ,I hope you can make the best of this situation!
ticky, this is great news! :thumbsup:
Troub, glad that you weren't seriously hurt!
Soda, good luck with your dinner party.

Slowly I am a little nervous, than in exactly 24 hours I must go to hospital. First I become assigned a room, where I'll wait for surgery, which is scheduled for the morning. For the waiting, I take my iPod with. Then I can distract myself with good music!

Wildthyme
04-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Yay Rhonda!! I have faith this is just the first of many to come and that before we all know it you alone will be the star of the "show". Congrats!!!

Well I survived Day 1 of teen watch. It wasn't too bad. They were both well behaved and pretty much hung out in their room most of the evening after practice. So far so good. *Whew*

TimothyBFan
04-21-2010, 08:11 AM
WT---I'm so glad it all went well last night! Only a couple more nights. Hang in there. Teenagers can be scary! :fear:

Ticky--Can I say how proud I am of you? You so deserve for this to go further and further! I told you long ago how much I enjoy your stories and I want to get this book also. Do you have a link we can buy them? How much extra are the autographed ones? :hilarious: Seriously---Congratulations-what an accomplishment and here's to many many more!!:cheers:

Good luck Koala and keep us up to date. Hope all goes well!!

Prettymaid
04-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Good luck Koala. I'll be thinking of you!

Glennsallnighter
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Well done Cami! Keep it up!!!

WOW!!!! Rhonda! Congrats. Have a wonderful time.

Koala, good luck with the surgery. I hope it clears your knee problem for good. Great idea to bring the ipod. You can also view some pictures of Glenn :heart: to help you to relax.

And hopefully you will soon have your MSG Dvd to watch while you recuperate now that the planes are flying again.

Brooke
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Cami-good luck with the teenagers! I'm sure all will be fine.

Ticky-congrats! This sounds wonderful for you!

Koala-best of luck with your surgery. I'm sure you are ready for it to be over and done with.

eaglesvet
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Ticky, congrats! I may have missed this, but what is your book about?

Koala
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys! :grouphug:

Molly
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Congratulations, ticky!

Good luck with your surgery, Koala, we'll be thinking about you.

Cami-be strong! If things get out of hand, you can always do what I did when my kids were teenagers...make them think you're crazy. They'll lay low -trust me.:thumbsup:

Just heard some news that there was an explosion on an oil rig off the coast of Louisiana. Many people injured/missing.

My nephew, Bryan works on an oil rig off the Louisiana coast. I know there are many rigs in the Gulf, but I'll be concerned until we hear some news.

sodascouts
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Koala, good luck with your surgery.

Molly - how frightening! I'll say a prayer for Bryan.

EagleLady
04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Molly, Your Nephew is in my prayers as well

Molly
04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks, guys.

The rig that's burning in the Gulf is not Bryan's rig.

Bryan works for an American independent contractor and this was a Swiss rig drilling for BP oil.

My poor sister in law (Bryan's mom) is still a wreck, though. She hates what he does for a living. He makes a lot of money doing what he does -but it certainly is a dangerous job that takes him away from his wife and new baby and is extremely stressful.

A few years ago, Bryan showed me a video of what it's like on one of those platforms and it isn't something I could ever imagine him being brave enough to do. They are really out quite far in the Gulf and the drop down to the ocean off of the platform is dizzying. Not to mention the baraccudas that continuously swim around the base of the platform.

I remember him saying that the biggest dangers are falling off the rig, storms that come up quicky and fire.

MikeA
04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
That was a trip Molly...a bad one! I was thinking about your nephew last night as I was listening to the newscasts. Am I mistaken, or did they say the depth of the Gulf at the point that rig was located, was 5000 feet? I thought waters that deep were found only in the Pacific. I'll have to do some research on that!

WOW! Was I ever OFF! One article said that the maximum depth was from 3750 meters to well over 4000. 4000 meters is over 13,000 feet! Can you imagine the pressure down that deep? I've SCUBA dived to 112 feet and even at that depth, the mask was literally trying to integrate with my eyeballs! It takes only a few minutes at that depth before you have to decompress on the way up so I just went down long enough to say I'd been there.

My dive was in Lake Ouachita close to Hot Springs, Arkansas. At that depth, nothing was alive that I saw. It was very close to the dam and about the only things down there were pieces of equipment. Maybe what was left of an old metal wheel. Lots of silt, and though it was bright and sunny at the surface, it was twilight and very errie at that depth. Did I mention COLD? Thankful for a fitted wetsuit!

GlennLover
04-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Molly - so glad Bryan is OK.

WT - hope things are still going well with the teenagers.

Ticky - I'm late in congratulating you. Way to go :thumbsup:. I'm so pleased for you!

sodascouts
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the update, Molly. Sounds like a scary job indeed!

Wildthyme
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, I made it through my job "babysitting" my friend's teenagers. It was actually easier than I expected and the boys were polite and cooperative overall. Its a long story but before she was married to this guy my friend was with another guy for ten years who also had two teenaged sons who I helped out with frequently (and who are now young adults). Compared to those two her newest stepsons are a picnic - they actually get themselves out of bed and make their own breakfast and lunch and were ready to go when I got there to take them to school. So if she asks me to help out in a pinch again I probably will. Mostly because I never can say no. :brickwall:

Molly - very glad to hear your nephew is okay. That is a scary dangerous profession and they sure deserve every penny of the money they earn out there.

GlennLover
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Glad you "survived" your "babysitting" WT! :)

EagleLady
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
So glad you made it through unscathed Cami

Koala
04-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Molly, I'am so glad that Bryan is OK.

Glennsallnighter
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, me too Molly, Brilliant news. But it certainly sounds dangerous. Some people go to such lengths to provide the commodities we take for granted.

Molly
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Thank for the good thoughts, everyone.

Yes, I think about Bryan everytime I'm filling my car up with gasoline. I don't take it for granted.

Quiet weekend with no children home! Woo hoo!! Early pajamas tonight, popping some popcorn, mixing a drink and watching my beloved Brewers!

Good grief, I lead an exciting life!:roll:

sodascouts
04-24-2010, 02:36 AM
I'm happy to report my dinner party was a complete success! But I have to admit, it was only because one of my friends helped me cook. lol At any rate, everyone had a good time - even my vegan friend, as it turns out veggie fajitas don't have a single animal product and she could eat to her heart's delight!

pueblo47
04-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Great that it went over to everyone's satisfaction. Don't you love it when a plan goes the way it's supposed to........

Prettymaid
04-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Good deal Soda. I'm glad everything went smoothly.

I am a huge fan of HGTV (Home & Garden Channel), especially the room design shows. I wish I had the talent to be a designer! Anyway, I decided about six months ago to design our bedroom. It's taken me this long to decide what I want to do and save up the money to do it. So far I have repainted it (the cheapest thing to do), purchased a room size rug (it has hardwood floors and I don't want to carpet over them), bought the bed with upholstered headboard, bedding, chest, and nightstands. Today I'm shopping for the curtains and rods. Nothing is in the room yet because we are waiting for the rug to come in. I have just been loving the whole process and can't wait until it's done!

ticky
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh wow Cathy! That sounds like fun! I hope you plan on posting lots of pictures when you're done. I cant wait to see!

Nancy, I glad your party was a success! The vegie fajitas sound really good!

Im going to the book release party today and Im kind of nervous. Ill let you all know how it goes!

Brooke
04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Cathy, sounds like you are having fun. I'd love to see the pics too.

Soda, I'm glad your party turned out. I can't imagine being a vegan. I know I'd starve to death!

Ticky, good luck at your book release party. Sounds cool!

cynd1231
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
As some of you know, I was lucky enough to be at the first Hollywood Bowl show and was supposed to be there Saturday night as well as in Phoenix. However, we got word that my mother was going to be undergoing surgery on Wednesday and it was necessary for me to exit LA rather hastily and make an unplanned trip home to Ohio.

The doctors advised that a 'sore' on Mom's tongue was cancerous and required immediate surgery. On Wednesday afternoon she lost one-third of her tongue and all the lymph nodes in her neck. Fortunately the biopsy on the nodes was negative which is truly a blessing. But we learned this morning that a small portion of the tumor remains and will most likely require a second surgery in about two weeks. Needless to say it's been a stressful week for my family but we've rallied around Mom, 87 years young, who simply refuses to be surrender the fight!

Despite the doctor advising she would possibly lose her ability to speak with any clarity, she has been forging ahead in an effort to hone her ability to communicate verbally and has amazed even the doctors and nursing staff. While there are many words she has extreme difficulty with and must write out, general speech is remarkably clear. This morning my sisters and I went to bring her home and, while visiting with the doctor about diet and restrictions, Mom (as only a mother can do) attempted to ask the doctor about fish but couldn't quite complete the 'sh' at the end. After several attempts, she threw up her arms and muttered, "Oh, thit!" which promptly brought all of us to tears of laughter. When we finally managed to compose ourselves, the surgeon looked at her, winked and replied, "We understood you perfectly!"

She returns to see the surgeon on Tuesday, at which time he plans to remove the stitches and miniscule clamps from the incision. She'll go back two weeks after that for another evaluation and discussion about whether to go ahead with another surgery. The doctor has indicated that the remaining effected tissue may not require anything futher so please keep your fingers crossed that all continues to go well.

Of course, we all breathed a collective sigh of relief to hear the nodes were clean as this means she will NOT require radiation treatments. I have to believe that my father called in a favor 'upstairs' and asked God to give her more time with us...we are counting our wonderful blessings and I thank all of you who have been so kind and kept me/us in your thoughts and prayers. It means more to me than you'll ever know.

pueblo47
04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, that's great news! What a fighter she is! And what a relief for all of you!

From now on, when I'm irritated in this forum, I'm going to say "oh thit!" I love it, lol......

Molly
04-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Glad to year the outcome was good news! Continued speedy recovery to your mom, cynd

Koala
04-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Cynd, glad to hear the good news from your mom!

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Good deal Soda. I'm glad everything went smoothly.

I am a huge fan of HGTV (Home & Garden Channel), especially the room design shows. I wish I had the talent to be a designer! Anyway, I decided about six months ago to design our bedroom. It's taken me this long to decide what I want to do and save up the money to do it. So far I have repainted it (the cheapest thing to do), purchased a room size rug (it has hardwood floors and I don't want to carpet over them), bought the bed with upholstered headboard, bedding, chest, and nightstands. Today I'm shopping for the curtains and rods. Nothing is in the room yet because we are waiting for the rug to come in. I have just been loving the whole process and can't wait until it's done!

GOD!! Cathy, sounds like you have a flair for design! Would you drop into mine next time you're passing by and advise me on our playroom? Its a disaster!!

Nancy! I'm delighted you had a great dinner party and that the food suited everybody!

Troubadour
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Nancy - glad your dinner party was a success!

Ooh, a new project. Sounds like you're having fun already, Cathy.

Cynd, my regards to you and your family. I'm so glad to hear your good news.

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Cynd I'm delighted that things have gone as well as they could with your Mom. I hope everything works out tomorrow, and I'm glad that she has such a fighting spirit. Long life to her. x

MikeA
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Okay, I'm sure this is a copyright violation, but I don't care! I'm posting it and it Cass Country get's it pulled, I'll sue! I should have turned down the TV in the background but I was so excited about Megan being awake! It is the first time I've seen here awake since the day she was born!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7zqtpH1PQ

Koala
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Awwwww, Mike, Megan is so cute!

Brooke
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Cynd, I'm glad to hear your mother is doing well. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family for her continued progress.

I'm happy to share good news with you that my son has been promoted to manager of a furniture store in a town about an hour south of Springfield and is moving there soon. I'm so proud of him, because he's done this all on his own. He started out working in the warehouse (anything for a job at the time!) and moved up to sales and in to management training about a year ago. It's been a struggle for him, but things are really looking up and hopefully, this is just the beginning for him with this company. His college courses were in business, so I guess it has helped! They have about 20 stores across Arkansas, Florida, Texas and Missouri. His girlfriend will have to stay in Springfield to finish college, but they will get together on days off and such until December when she can move there. I'm a happy camper! :blueblob:

EagleLady
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Great news Brooke! Congrats to your son!

And Mike, Little Megan is precious

MikeA
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Brooke, it is great to have the kids close to home! I'm a hipocrite when it comes to that. Don't know what I'd do if my Son and Daughter didn't live close by. Yet, I moved away when I was 18 and except for a couple of years back in the 70's, haven't lived close enough to stay a part of my family with whom 500 miles separates us.

Congrats to your son though!

sodascouts
04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Megan is precious, Mike!

Brooke - hooray for your son!

Koala
04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
This are good news Brooke! Congratulation to your son!

TimothyBFan
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Congrats Brooke--I'm so glad for him and glad that you get to have him close by now also.

Mike---AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! (I Love House also!)

Brooke
04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Well, I don't know where you all got the idea my son is going to be closer to home. He's actually going to be farther from home! :lol: But when you are already 4-5 hours away, what's another hour! I'm just happy that he is being successful!

Mike, Megan is adorable!

MikeA
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I think it was the "hour south of Springfield" that threw me for a loop Brooke. Don't know why I assumed that brought you closer together! In my mind, I've placed you north of Kansas City and I can't even pinpoint why I think of you "up there", so I should have realized that Springfield wasn't that close to KC <LOL>

Faulty Logic! Sorry.

Prettymaid
04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Brooke, congrats to your son. You must be proud as a peacock!

Mike, Megan is quite the talker and so-o-o-o-o adorable!

Wildthyme
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
What a sweet little girl Mike! I am sure she will have grandpa wrapped around her finger in no time. :D

Brooke - congrats to your son. Its always nice to hear good news about people's work in this economy! :D

Cynd - Glad your mom is doing so well. She sounds like a really terrific and spirited woman! :D

Molly
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Congrats to your son, Brooke. It's so nice (and a relief) when they kids are doing well.

Mike...Megan is a doll!

Brooke
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I think it was the "hour south of Springfield" that threw me for a loop Brooke. Don't know why I assumed that brought you closer together! In my mind, I've placed you north of Kansas City and I can't even pinpoint why I think of you "up there", so I should have realized that Springfield wasn't that close to KC <LOL>

Faulty Logic! Sorry.

:lol: No problem! I live in NE Missouri (2 1/2 hours north of St. Louis) and Springfield is in SW Missouri. We're about as far apart as the state allows!

Congrats to your son, Brooke. It's so nice (and a relief) when they kids are doing well.

Relief for sure! Especially in this economy. He's had quite a struggle.

Yep! Proud as a peacock! http://bestsmileys.com/happy/4.gif

(no peacock smilies available)

TimothyBFan
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Faulty Logic! Sorry.

Apparently me also!! Sorry about that Brooke! Happy for all of you regardless!

cynd1231
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the wonders of modern medicine! It's been seven days since Mom's surgery. She was discharged on Saturday and I took her in this morning for her first follow-up with the surgeon. He removed the clamps/staples, said she is healing remarkably quick and well, and advised that the stitches will dissolve on their own over the next week to ten days. The biopsy on the tongue tissue indicated there was a small portion that was missed during the surgery...apparently when they freeze the area it makes some of the cells difficult/impossible to detect. He explained that while in many cases nothing further ever developes, there is always the chance that growth will recur and if that were to happen it would most likely advance very quickly. So Mom has agreed to a second surgery, to be done on May 14th, to remove the additional tissue. Fortunately it will be done as day surgery and she'll be home in her own bed the same day.

Pueblo, if you're reading this, I'm pleased to report that her speech has cleared up remarkably and she is no longer saying "THIT" -- however, I've told her that it has become something of a buzz phrase and is not likely to be forgotten!!! My brothers and sisters and I (there are six of us) aren't about to let her forget either and when one of us happens to say "Oh, thit" she promptly replies, "Shut up, you rotten kid! -- a sure sign she is on the mend since that is HER buzz phrase!

I head back to Albuquerque on Tuesday, grateful for the thoughts, prayers and divine intervention that has been showered on all of us during this ordeal. Next stop: Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA on 6/12!

pueblo47
04-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Pueblo, if you're reading this, I'm pleased to report that her speech has cleared up remarkably and she is no longer saying "THIT" -- however, I've told her that it has become something of a buzz phrase and is not likely to be forgotten!!! My brothers and sisters and I (there are six of us) aren't about to let her forget either and when one of us happens to say "Oh, thit" she promptly replies, "Shut up, you rotten kid! -- a sure sign she is on the mend since that is HER buzz phrase!

I head back to Albuquerque on Tuesday, grateful for the thoughts, prayers and divine intervention that has been showered on all of us during this ordeal. Next stop: Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA on 6/12!

I'm glad to hear that her speech has cleared up and she's back almost to normal, lol. However, I now have the habit of saying Thit and can't get out of it:hilarious:so it will be spread around here fairly often<G>.

ALBQ, huh? Ever go out west about 50 miles through Laguna rez? That's where my dad was born and raised and I have tons of relatives there. Small world for sure........

That's why me and Bernie are pals:thumbsup:cuz he's interested in the native American culture..........Randy, you sweet thang!

Glennsallnighter
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Cynd! I'm gald that your Mum is doing so well and that the prognosis for her is so good.

Brooke, I'm delighted too that your son is making such progress in his job. I know you must be so proud of him.

Mike, Megan is absolutely gorgeous, a little sweetie!

TimothyBFan
04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Just wanted to ask all of you to send some positive vibes my family's way once again. Quite a few people in the family going thru some very trying and life changing times right now, with family issues, job issues and some other things affecting everyone around them. And in the past 2 weeks, 2 more family members have been diagnosed with the big C. My Uncle John, who was very instrumental in keeping our family leveled off while my Dad was dying of cancer 2 years ago, is in surgery this morning as I type this, having a cancerous mass removed from his lung. My niece's father has also been given 6 months to live because of prostate cancer.

It's been kind of nice this week, having Jess & Lou's Excellent Adventure to keep me a bit preoccupied while so much has been going on and I feel as if I'm being pulled several different directions at once. My sister in law has always called me "the glue that holds the family together" but I'm about ready to give up that title!! It's a wee bit to stressful as I get older. :brickwall:

Thanks for listening guys!

MikeA
04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Gee Willie....those are some huge hurdles for everyone concerned. That's a pretty unnecessary understatement, but I can't think of anything better to say and sound sincere about it. I'm truly sorry you and your family are going through all of this.

Stars
04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Willie, I, too, am sorry your family is going through these tough times. Please know that my prayers are with your uncle and your niece's father.
Let us know how they are doing-God's blessings to all...:hug:

Molly
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Hang in there, Willie. As a fellow "glue person" I can appreciate what you're saying.

Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Koala
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Willie, I'm sorry to hear this news, my thoughts and prayers are with your family!

Brooke
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Same here Willie. I'm so sorry and hope all goes well. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Prettymaid
04-30-2010, 02:33 PM
As someone who's never had to be the glue, I admire you. My thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

Troubadour
04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Thinking of you, Willie. Even the 'glue' needs a day off once in a while! :hug: Hoping that your Uncle John will be just fine. I'm glad our adventures have provided you with a little light relief this week.

sodascouts
05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles, Willie. I continue to pray for your family.

GlennLover
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Willie, I'm send my prayers & positive thoughts to you. Hang in there!

Glennsallnighter
05-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking of you too Willie! :hug:

TimothyBFan
05-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks you guys for all the positive vibes!! I tell you what, Friday was just one of those sh*t days all around! Not only the big stuff but then it seemed as if any little stuff that could go wrong, did also just to make the day even worse--the final straw is when the stupid cd player decided to eat my Zeppelin BBC Sessions disc 1!! Then it was war. Finally around 4, a friend came thru the house and found me sitting on the back patio almost in tears, sat down with me and he always makes me laugh- then things lightened up a bit. It's always good to have a friend do that. Later that evening, Larry and another friend made me just go out to the patio (or my sanctuary as it was named several years ago), he put on Eagles Live and life got all better real fast. It's all about perspective sometimes right?

Anyways, my uncle came thru his surgery and should be back home Tuesday or Wednesday and then onto whatever's next. Thanks again for all the well wishes.

pueblo47
05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Good news about your uncle. Now hopefully your stress level will go back to normal. Look at all the great pic of Tim from the concert, doesn't it make you feel almost like you were there? Tim will cheer you up......:thumbsup:

GlennLover
05-03-2010, 04:14 PM
My mother passed away unexpectedly this morning, so I probably won't be on the Border much in the next few days. :-(

EagleLady
05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Awww I'm Sorry Ann :hug: Losing your mother is the hardest thing a child could go through

Wildthyme
05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
GL, I am so sorry about the passing of your mom. Having lost my own suddenly a few years ago I can sympathize with what you are going through. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

MikeA
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Sincerest condolences Ann. I'm really sorry.

sodascouts
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm so sorry, Ann. Your family is in my prayers.

ticky
05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Awe Ann, Im so sorry. My thoughts are with you and yours today.. :grouphug:

Freypower
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Deepest sympathy, Ann. Take care.

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Ann, my sympathies are with you and your family today as well. I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Troubadour
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh, I am so sorry, Ann. :hug: :hug:

Prettymaid
05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Ann, please know that we are here for you and thinking of you in this difficult time.

Molly
05-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Ann, I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and wishing you strength and peace.

GlennLover
05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Thank you everyone, for your comforting words & your prayers. It means a lot to have friends like you, even though I have never met any of you in person. Sincerely, Ann

Stars
05-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Ann, I was so sorry to hear of the unexpected loss of your mom. Please know my prayers are with you. My dad passed away unexpectedly several years ago, so I can empathize with you, and I know how difficult it is.
Sending you comfort and hugs.:hug:

Koala
05-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Ann, I am so sorry to hear about your unexpectedly loss, my sincerest condolences! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers! :hug:

tequila girl
05-04-2010, 04:23 AM
So sorry to hear your sad news Ann, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family x

TimothyBFan
05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Ann-as I told you yesterday, I'm thinking of you and my thoughts will be with you and your family in your time of loss. May you all find the strength so carry you thru.

Koala
05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
We have found a buyer for the house of my grandparents.That went relatively quickly, this is obviously good, because we must make no more thoughts about that! But it's kind of a strange feeling! Because it is so final now and I will never go to the house again! Until now I was from time to time at the house to see if everything is ok!

ticky
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Awe Koala, I can understand how you feel. It was the strangest feeling to come back from New York after my grandmother passed away and see her house sold and torn down and the property divided up for individual sale! Now if I go by there, nothing is left. The house needed to be torn down, but still, I miss it all. Fortunately I still have great memories of it all and in my mind, it will never change.

MikeA
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
My Grandparents lived out on a farm...about 700 acres. When they got too old to take care of the farm, they sold it and moved next door to my Mom and Dad and lived there until they both passed away.

But we all had fond memories of "The Farm" and one day, me and some of my cousins went up to the door at the "new Farm House" and knocked. Introduced ourselves. The people who now own it had no problems with us poking around the property...especially the creek where we all used to go swimming.

Funny though....it never seemed as HUGE as it did when we were kids.

Brooke
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Ann, you have my deepest sympathy.

Glennsallnighter
05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I know it is a wrench to have to leave what has been such a joy in the past Koala. At least you have been lucky to find a buyer and also have a load of happy memories with your grandparents. We are all thinking of you.

GlennLover
05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Tomorrow I will be spending my 20th wedding anniversary at the funeral parlour. My husband Harold has been a godsend, supporting me, counciling me & doing things for me.

TimothyBFan
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Thinking of you today Ann!! :hug:

Molly
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Thinking of you today, as well, Ann. Take care.

Koala
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your kind words!

I know it is a wrench to have to leave what has been such a joy in the past Koala. At least you have been lucky to find a buyer and also have a load of happy memories with your grandparents. We are all thinking of you.

I know we had great luck to sell the house so quickly. Especially since it is already old and some of it must be renovated.
However, the most important thing is that nobody can't take me the beautiful memories that I associate with the house. They are always in my mind!

Ann, thinking of you, too!

Molly
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
That's a good attitude, Koala. That melancholy feeling never goes away. I haven't been on my grandparents farm for 30 years -but whenever I drive past it-I'm filled with so many old memories.

Mike, I've thought a million times about knocking on the door of the present owners and asking for a look around. But, I'm afraid they've probably done so many needed renovations -it won't look anything like I remember. I think I'd like to keep it frozen in time in my mind's eye.

MikeA
05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Understandable Molly. The subsequent owners had torn down the old Farm House and rebuilt it as a modern brick building. The barns are now large metal buildings that used to be that old fantastic grey weathered lumber (and were falling apart <LOL>).

But the fields that once grew hay and supported several hundred head of cattle were the same. The Stock Ponds were all still there. And the ole swimmin' hole was still there down on Ten-Mile-Creek. I swear that was the COLDEST water I've ever swam in!

It's NOT the same. But it didn't hurt the memories to go back and look at what hadn't changed.

sodascouts
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Ann, thinking of you today.

Koala, glad to hear you sold the house, but I can understand the melancholy. Both my parents have been saddened by what's become of their old homes - both came from small towns that relied almost entirely on one industry and when those industries failed, the houses deteriorated along with the towns. Interestingly, both have their 50th high school reunion this year and they'll be returning to those towns, even though both of their former high schools have been torn down.

This discussion reminds me of Jackson Browne's "Looking Into You (http://www.poemhunter.com/song/looking-into-you/)" which is about his visit to his old house and asking the current owners to let him looking around, and how how it made him reflect on his life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEDbI2UJhXM

EagleLady
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxUJv-_NfU8

Don't forget Miranda Lambert's The House That Built Me.

Brooke
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I thought of that one, too, EL. Great song.

I pass by the house/farm I grew up in on my way to church every Sunday and I'm always saddened at the state of disrepair it's in. Mom and Dad worked so hard to keep it neat and fixed up, the yard mowed, flower beds planted, brush down, etc., and the current owners can't even keep things painted. :-(

GlennLover
05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
[quote=sodascouts;107350]Ann, thinking of you today.

Thank you, Nancy. I am exhaused from the visitation at the funeral home today. At least we had many friends & relatives who came to show their respects so it kept us busy & we didn't have time to dwell on our loss or how tired we were. The funeral is tomorrow. That will be difficult. We arrived home tonight to find a bag tied to our front door handle. A friend had left a frozen lasagne, garlic bread & cream puffs. I won't have to cook a supper tomorrow! It's friends like this who will get us through this sad time. Thank you Borderers for your kind words. It means so much to me.

When I went to bed Monday, the day Mom died, I was not able to settle down to sleep. I suddenly had the need to hear "You Are Not Alone". I got out my iPod & listened to it. It was so comforting. Last night I played it twice after I got in bed. Music can have a powerfull effect on your life. I know that Glenn realizes this about his music & this is a prime example. I will be listening to it again tonight - and for many nights to come. I thank Glenn, Don, Randy, Bernie, Don F, Joe & Timothy for the gift of their music.

Glennsallnighter
05-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Well you are not alone here either Ann. Even though we are too far away to help you on a practical level like your good neighbour we are all thinking of you and your family at this sad time and you are all in our prayers. I'm sure I echo the sentiment of all the Borderers here. Take care. :grouphug:

sodascouts
05-06-2010, 02:56 PM
When I went to bed Monday, the day Mom died, I was not able to settle down to sleep. I suddenly had the need to hear "You Are Not Alone". I got out my iPod & listened to it. It was so comforting. Last night I played it twice after I got in bed. Music can have a powerful effect on your life. I know that Glenn realizes this about his music & this is a prime example. I will be listening to it again tonight - and for many nights to come. I thank Glenn, Don, Randy, Bernie, Don F, Joe & Timothy for the gift of their music.

I thank them too. I hope they have some idea of what their music means to people. I'm so glad it helped you in this time of need.

Prettymaid
05-06-2010, 06:58 PM
It's a beautiful song and as we mentioned in another thread, songs can mean something completely different to you given the circumstances.

Say goodbye to all your pain and sorrow
Say goodbye to all those lonely nights
Say goodbye to all your blue tomorrows
Now you're standing in the light

I know sometimes you feel so helpless
Sometimes you feel like you can't win
Sometimes you feel so isolated
You'll never have to feel that way again

You are not alone
You're not alone

Never thought I'd find the road to freedom
Never thought I'd see you smile again
Never thought I'd have the chance to tell you
That I will always be your friend

You are not alone
You're not alone

Glennsallnighter
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I'll be playing it too.

Last night my hubby Paul called his dad and got no answer. Not terribly unusual. However this evening when there was still no answer I suggested he go over to the house to check up. Well Paul called about 20 minutes later. Himself and his brother had gone into their dads house and had found him on the bed. He had passed away in his sleep.

Troubadour
05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, Lisa. I know it's a big shock at the moment. We're all here, whenever you need us. :hug:

EagleLady
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm so sorry Lisa :hug: Hope you can find comfort in the fact it was peaceful.

sodascouts
05-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh no - how sad. I'm so sorry GA. Your family is in my prayers.

I always thought that's the way I want to go - living a full life and then passing away in my sleep at an old age so there's no pain on the way to Heaven's door.

Glennsallnighter
05-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Heartfelt thanks Lou, EL and Soda. Yes, its true, my F-I-L has had a long productive and for the most part happy life. His wife passed on 7 years ago, but unlike him, she had fought a brave battle with Cancer. It was a nice way to go and its how I too would like to go. But nobody is prepared for the suddenness of it. I'd have liked to say 'goodbye' properly.

ticky
05-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Oh Lisa, Im so sorry :grouphug: I know this must be a very hard time for you and your family. Sending lots of love and good thoughts your way.

I Just wanted to share with everyone, I've told you all about my brother before, Well, he's coming home Thursday morning after 8 1/2 years. Sooo many wonderful things have been happening to me lately, May I suggest everyone run out and buy a lottery ticket? and I'll send out good vibes. Who ever wins, it's a border party!!!! *G*

Glennsallnighter
05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks Rhonda. :hug: And I'm thrilled about your brother. I know how much you have been looking forward to this news. I hope your brother goes on to have a fantastic life of freedom.

Brooke
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Ga, I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law. But what a wonderful way to go. I know it's a shock to you and your family, so I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers also. :hug:

Ticky, great news about your brother. I hope your reunion with him goes well.

Koala
05-10-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm so sorry about your loss, Lisa. You and your family is in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

ticky, this are great news about your brother!

Wildthyme
05-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Lisa, I am very sorry about the loss of your father-in-law so suddenly. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Wildthyme
05-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Rhonda - you know I am thrilled and excited about Jon coming home at last and looking forward to seeing him soon! And I swear when I get up there this weekend I am giving you my dollar and letting you buy me a lottery ticket *G*

Molly
05-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Lisa, keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

ticky, wonderful news about your brother. Enjoy this happy reunion!

Prettymaid
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Lisa, I just got on and read your sad news. Thinking of you and your family during this time of sorrow.

Stars
05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Lisa, I was so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you.
My grandmother died the same way-she went to sleep one night and never woke up. I have thought that it's a peaceful way to pass away too, but I felt sad, not being able to say good-bye.
Hope you and your husband find comfort in your happy memories of his dad.:hug:

MikeA
05-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Lisa, I am very sorry for the lose you've endured. So difficult. It would crush me to lose my FIL or MIL. Because I have lived in their proximity for 33 years now, I am as closely nit with them as with my own folks...possibly more so.

Rhonda. FREAKIN' OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

TimothyBFan
05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
GA--my heartfelt thoughts are with you and your family.

Rhonda--VERY VERY COOL!!!

Update on my uncle. He had his surgery over a week ago and seems to be recovering well. The good news is that they believe they found the cancer very early so he should make a full recovery.

Bad news... our friend Brandon who was diagnosed with lung cancer a year ago. If you remember, they declared him in remission right before Thanksgiving. He's been having his scans every 2 months. Last Thursday he had his last scan and it showed that the cancer has returned. They want to put him on the chemotherapy pill but the insurance is fighting it!! I HATE insurance companies. WTH!!! They pay for coverage only to be told that what the doctor says he needs, they won't pay for!! :-x Makes no flippin' sense to me.

Carolina Girl
05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
GA- So sorry for your loss. Will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Ticky- Sounds like a happy reunion! Enjoy! By the way, I think if I read back through the threads correctly, you're the Oregonian?? I just returned to my home state of NC after 5 years in Portland, so I now consider myself an adopted Oregonian--love the northwest!!

ticky
05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Awe Willie, Im so sorry about Brandon. My best thoughts are with him and you and his family. I had to fight the insurance company big time to get my surgery paid for. I wrote a very intense letter to every state legislature in our state, CC'd it to the news paper and my lawyer and I addressed it to the president of the insurance company. It basically said I was dying and there was a surgery that would save my life but my insurance company said it wasnt necessary. 3 days later I was approved for the surgery! Politicians LOVE to take down big guys publicly, esp insurance companies over stories with some heart in it (and guaranteed publicity) It might be worth a try. Best of luck!!!!

CG! Well, we hate to loose one of our own, adopted or no. The Pac NW is a beautiful place to live. All this liquid sunshine keeps us green and moist (and mildewy *G*) Come back anytime :)

Koala
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news from your friend Brandon! I can't understand why the insurance companies will not pay for treatment, this is really a shame.

MikeA
05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Willie,

I think that Medical Insurance Companies have to be the most ruthless in a Capitalistic Society! At east they are in the USA. It is small wonder that they get sued as much as they do. I think that they have the concept down that if they don't fork over a legitimate health claim immediately that they stand a good chance of not having to assume liability the claim. Many people just don't have the tenacity to fight them.

I wish your friend Brandon the blessing of recovered health and the success in bringing the faltering Insurance company back into line.

Brooke
05-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Willie, I'm also sorry to hear about Brandon. Best of luck to him and I'm hoping the insurance company reconsiders at once.

Molly
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Willie, so sorry to hear the bad news about Brandon.

I agree with ticky, start writing letters. Especially to your local newspapers and State legislators and I believe each state has an insurance commission on the State level.

Sometimes, it really does do the trick.

tbs fanatic
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, I have not read this section in quite a long time. Good Lord! Everyone seems to be having a pretty rough year so far. My condolences to everyone who has lost a family member this year.

sodascouts
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Rhonda - so glad to hear about your brother!

Willie - I'm glad to hear about your uncle but saddened at Brandon's news... and, like everyone else, disgusted with the insurance company that is fighting his treatment.

MikeA
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Tornado!

Folks, There have been a slew of tornados down around Oklahoma City...and Wichita, Kansas too. I'm fine. They pretty much mist my local area though there were reports of damage west of Wichita.

The bad news....Norman got hit! JESS Please check in! Let us know you are okay! Reports of injuries are reported in Norman.

EagleLady
05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for letting us know Mike.

Jess PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let us know you are ok :pray:

sodascouts
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Just talked to Lou on the phone. She and Jess are fine.

MikeA
05-10-2010, 07:46 PM
LOL Thanks Nancy! My my, is Lou experiencing EVERYTHING this trip or WHAT?

Dust storms, Tornados.....where is the pestulence and flooding and plague?

Lou, don't you just want to MOVE to the USA?

EagleLady
05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Thank goodness they are ok Thanks Nancy :thumbsup:

Koala
05-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Good to hear that both are ok!

Dust storms, Tornados.....
Lou has apparently booked an adventures holiday! ;)

AzEaglesFan
05-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks Mike and Soda, I was wondering about Jess and Lou too. Glad all of our ladies are safe. With P47 near Nashville and all the flooding and Jess and Lou in Ok with all the tornados, Mother Nature is not beening kind to the Border Ladies right now.

Glennsallnighter
05-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Whew! I texted Lou as soon as I woke this morning and was worried that I got no answer. I had been chatting to her about midnight my time which was when all this was happening.
I was getting worried but I'm glad now they seem ok.
Hope you are both sleeping it off girls!

MikeA
05-11-2010, 05:03 AM
I've been watching a LOT on the Weather Channel and their prime focus was around Norman and in particular, a grocery store that was pretty much totaled. Cars were overturned in its parking lot and a cell phone tower behind the store was down. The damage evaluation guy was saying that the center of the funnel must have hit the store directly because both the front and rear of the store were smashed inward. The customers who were in the store had all crowded into the meat locker and those who got in there came out without injury. Apparently, there were some who didn't get into the locker because ambulances were leaving the scene with red lights and sirens.

Reports were at the time i was watching, 5 dead and hundreds injured. I think three of those fatalities were in Norman.

This was about the worst type tornado. The cell that produced it had produced tornadoes for 150 miles and was entering Arkansas and Southern Missouri when I fell asleep. I saw video of one that had 3 and 4 vortexes (funnels) that finally merged together. Not only that but there were like two storms BOTH producing funnels at the same time and not that far apart. That is very unusual. Usually, tornado funnels will stay up in the air never hitting the ground but for minutes. This one was tracking for a long time on the ground.

It hit at the worst possible time too. Rush hour in Oklahoma City!

Prettymaid
05-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Soda, I'm so glad that you were able to let us know that Jess and Lou are okay.

Willie, I only have one thing to say about the insurance companies - :cuss::censored:

MikeA
05-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Have to revise that text I keyed in a bit earlier about the injuries sustained at the grocery store. The Weather Channel is a mixed blessing...they are generally first out with videos but as such, the reporters tend to really get excited. This is their business...tracking storms. They had said they were restricted from immediate area because it was being treated as a crime scene. Understandable. They were well away from the site and they could only observe from a distance. They observed Emergency vehicles leaving the store with red lights and sirens and assumed that they were transporting victims from the store.

Such was not the case. There were no injuries in the store. The employees and possibly one deputy sheriff who may have been on site during the storm had urged everyone in the store into the freezer where they survived with no injuries.

Apparently the EMS vehicles were dispatched initially in expectation of being needed at the store and then later dispatched to other sites where rescue operations were taking place.

Folks, if you haven't been through something like this, there is mass confusion especially in communication to the public via news media especially in the early moments after the danger has past. This is exacerbated by adrenalin-charged storm chasers and reporters.

The damage was huge in that area of Oklahoma and the fatality count still stands at 5 with hundreds of injuries. The report is that there were 10 separate tornadoes that tore thru Oklahoma. I haven't seen the count for those hitting Kansas.

The bad news is that similar conditions are expected to occur again on Wednesday, May 12. Thankfully, they think this new round of storms will be north of Oklahoma City (and of Norman!). Predictions are mainly for areas East of Wichita and on into Missouri and Northern Arkansas with the southern boundary down into northern Oklahoma.

That area of Northern Oklahoma was hit yesterday as was Arkansas City (Ark City).

Prettymaid
05-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Lou and Jess, if you want to get out of that area for now, I hear the Midwest is really nice this time of year! :bye:

TimothyBFan
05-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Lou had Rhonda and I a little worried last night also. We were both trying to get a hold of her and not getting her. Found out later that she was on the phone with Nancy. :lol: We are figuring she's probably pretty fed up with Mother Nature by now!

Update.... Brandon's insurance company doesn't know what hit them.

Brandon's wife Tiff, is the most amazing woman I have ever met. Didn't realize it until a year ago when they found out about his illness. She has become the expert on lung cancer and what treatments are out there for it. She tells everyone she made a deal with God a year ago when Brandon was diagnosed, told him if you let Brandon live and be here for their kids, she would do anything and everything to spread the word far and wide about the lack of funding for lung cancer. She has held true to her word by working with the National Cancer Society, blogging on several websites about their experience, reading anything she can get her hands on and even attending the National Cancer conference in California and meeting with doctors who specialize in it. She's become quite the advocate.

She was on the phone all weekend and yesterday to the insurance company, politicians, anyone who would listen. Yesterday afternoon, she received word that the insurance company had changed their tune and will be paying for the drug at the tune of $42,000.00 a year! That's right, forty-two THOUSAND! I still have to ask WHY would any drug cost that much in the first place! I don't know who to be madder at, drug companies or insurance companies. Don't tell me someone's not making bundles on sick and dying people!

MikeA
05-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I for one surely do not know who is "making the money". Maybe it is all trying to recover monies spent on research. But to really hit those like Brandon and his family such as they are doing...that hurts.

I wonder...just wonder...how much of their revenue Medical Insurance Companies are funneling back into research. Seems like it would be a self serving investment if it helped find a really effective medication or treatment for cancer.

In the case of my brother, the cure is almost as bad as the disease. It has left him very unstable mentally as the treatment involved destroying much of his brain with radiation.

Brooke
05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought of them last night, too and wondered if Jess lived close to Norman. I'm glad to hear they are ok. Yikes!

tbs fanatic
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
The Weather Channel was the one to watch last night - Yikes! Thank the Gods it went under us. We had a bunch of major lightning going on for a while but it didn't turn into anything worse. I hear there's another round of strong storms gearing up for Wednesday though - :sad:.

pueblo47
05-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks Mike and Soda, I was wondering about Jess and Lou too. Glad all of our ladies are safe. With P47 near Nashville and all the flooding and Jess and Lou in Ok with all the tornados, Mother Nature is not beening kind to the Border Ladies right now.

OK got pounded big time and looks like more to come tomorrow. Thank God those two are safe, what a time they've had! This will make a great book, magazine review(with pics), local news story, 60 minutes, Dateline, 20/20, bet they'd be great on national tv. How about it? These Eagles fans went thru the gates of hell for their band. What a tale!!!

Molly
05-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Glad to hear Jess and Lou are OK.

Good news about Brandon's insurance situation, Willie. Often times, the people at the insurance company doing these initial medical reviews aren't physicians. Sometimes they aren't even nursing personnel. Their knowledge of medicine can often times be very questionable. Don't know if that's the situation in this case-but either way-glad this initial battle was won by the good guys!

Glennsallnighter
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Willie, thats wonderful news about Brandon. He is lucky that he has such a devoted wife to help him fight his battle. I hope everything works out for him.

Lou and Jess, I'm delighted you are both safe.

Thanks to everybody who has sympathised with me and the family on our recent loss. We are only beginning to get used to the idea.
And it never rains...... earlier this evening Chris started complaining of a cold. It didn't seem too bad. Then he said his heart was sore and Paul checked his pulse which seemed very rapid. We took him to the emergency doctor who straight away referred him to the children's hospital. Turns out he has either asthma or pneumonia and they are keeping him in for another few hours. I've taken Laura home but its been another traumatic night for the poor kiddies.

EagleLady
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh No Lisa! I hope Chris gets better and everything turns out fine :hug: So sorry you have to go through all this my friend

Prettymaid
05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Lisa, my best to you and your family.

sodascouts
05-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Lisa - sorry to hear about Chris. Hope he gets well soon.

Willie - good to hear the insurance company straightened up! Good for Brandon's wife for giving 'em heat!

All you folks weathering the storms - stay safe!

ticky
05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Awe Lis! *HUGS* I hope Chris is okay, Best wishes and lots of love your way! You've had more trauma lately then your share!! time for some good things to start! *G*

Willie.. GOOD! re: insurance company!! Sounds like Brandon's wife is a real go getter!

Stars
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Lisa-so sorry to hear about Chris-hope he gets well very soon!
Lou and Jess, so glad to hear that you two are safe.
Willie-hope everything works out ok for Brandon.

Peekaboo
05-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow! I've got so much to catch up on in this thread. I will get around to it as soon as I can. First, Lou and I are just fine. From what I understand, there was a tornado that came very close to Norman (which is where I live) but nothing directly in the city. It seemed to be just outside Norman but VERY close. I'm pretty sure that the tornado came within 5 miles of my home. The bad news is that I was stuck at work while Lou was at my apartment by herself. I still feel so horrible about that but Lou assures me that she was okay. She did have a bit of a freak out moment but was okay after my friends Christi and Eric came to the rescue and picked her up and took her to their house. I had a bunch of voice mails and texts from my family and friends when I got off of work. Everybody was worried about us. Lou says that the electricity went out and the sirens were going off but everything seemed to be like normal while I was at work. I work less than 5 minutes from where I live and they never sounded any kind of alarm. I'm a bit peeved about that. I could've been dealing and a freaking tornado could've ripped right through the casino. UGH!! The important thing is that we are both okay. I'm off for the next few days so if the weather gets bad again Lou won't be by herself this time.

Here's a link to a video showing the tornado that was coming our way yesterday: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100511/ap_on_re_us/us_severe_weather

pueblo47
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I've been watching it on the weather channel and wondered how close it was to you, so glad it missed and you're ok. Weather has gone freakin' nuts lately! Looks like another crappy day for your area tomorrow, so keep an eye to the sky. This will be a trip Troub will NEVER forget!

sodascouts
05-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow, Jess, so close! So glad everyone is OK!

Koala
05-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Lisa, I hope Chris feels better very soon! :hug:
Willie, I'm glad to hear better news about Brandons insurance situation!

Prettymaid
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
You two stay safe today and report in and let us know you're okay!

TimothyBFan
05-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Lisa--Big hugs to Chris and all of you! Certainly hope you are all resting at home now after that ordeal. Poor guy!!

Another insurance update--LOVE this.... The drug company from which this chemo pill comes contacted Tiff yesterday afternoon and told her they were tearing up the confirmation letter they finally received from the insurance company, after all the rejections, saying they were going to pay. They are GIVING Brandon the drug for free so that it won't count against their lifetime deductible. Fantastic news in most respects but I can't stop but think that it's also a victory for that stupid insurance company who didn't want to pay for it anyways! Regardless, the first pills will arrive in the mail today and he can start taking them.

ticky
05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
YAY!!!! That's terrific Willie!! what wonderful news for Brandon and his family! His wife needs to become a lobbyist! It's so nice to hear something GOOD from these places once in a while.

Brooke
05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Willie, wonderful news for Brandon!

Lisa, I'm hoping Chris is ok now and prayers going out for you and your family at this time of sorrow.

Peek, I'm so glad you and Lou were safe during the storms.

Molly
05-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank goodness, Willie. Now hopefully, they can put all the extra stress of insurance and payments behind them and focus on what is really important and that's Brandon getting well.

Lisa -hope by the time you read this, all is well with Chris.

Stars
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Willie, thank goodness things worked out well for Brandon, and he'll be able to take the meds very soon. Hope he recovers quickly.:thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow, that's amazing Willie! Brandon's wife must be something else!

MikeA
05-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I've got my batteries charged up and have the lawn chairs out. Need to get Verna to pop some popcorn and break out the cold beer.

Line of storms just West of Wichita and moving eastwards towards us and they are producing tornadoes. So far, the twisters have been about 50 miles north of us in this storm, but it's building. Right now, it extends from northeast of Salina all the way through Oklahoma and into Texas on southwest line.

Woopee!!!!!!

pueblo47
05-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Crapola, Mike! Do you have somewhere to go just in case? This weather season is just cranking up and looks like it's gonna be a bad one for everyone this year. I'm going to the weather channel and check it out. Good luck!

MikeA
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
It's around 6pm now and it looks as though the line of storms is beginning to break up. They've canceled the tornado warnings, but there are still Watches in effect until something like 10:30. I think we're going to "miss" this current one.

Hope so, they were reporting large hail with it and we just had a new roof put on last year from another hail storm <sigh>.

And, "YES" we have a safe place. Finished Basement. That's where my office is. Mixed blessing though. It's safe down here but I can't see what's going on upstairs!

Brooke
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Mike, just checked our radar and it looks like that stuff missed you and is now headed straight for me! :fear:

I've got to go get my walking in before it gets here!

pueblo47
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Mike, just checked our radar and it looks like that stuff missed you and is now headed straight for me! :fear:

Nuts to the walking! I'd be running for a place to hunker down! Y'all are really having it!

TimothyBFan
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
You guys keep hearing me talk about our friends Brandon & Tiff, this is a media piece that was done on them right after he was diagnosed. I thought you guys might like to see it and see what I'm talking about when I tell you how special they are. It's short.

http://emilymonroe.com/?page_id=216

Prettymaid
05-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for that Willie. It's nice to put faces with the names and to see who it is we're praying for.

MikeA
05-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Yeah Brooke, it did miss us as far as the twisters and hail. Lots of Thunder and Lightning to keep us entertained all night. We did get a lot of rain and I'm spending the morning vacuuming the basement in an attempt to keep the water isolated in a room where it will do no damage!

How did it go for you?

ticky
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
My brother is at my Parents house and we're on our way to see him *G* Ill let ya'll know how it goes!!

Brooke
05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah Brooke, it did miss us as far as the twisters and hail. Lots of Thunder and Lightning to keep us entertained all night. We did get a lot of rain and I'm spending the morning vacuuming the basement in an attempt to keep the water isolated in a room where it will do no damage!

How did it go for you?

Thankfully, I was on the southern edge of some pretty major storms. Just 20 miles north there were tornadoes spotted and heavy rains and hail. We got about 4/10th's of an inch of rain and the northern counties got 3-5 inches. No major damages, thank goodness. Just some thunder and lightening.

Ticky, have a great reunion with your brother!

Brooke
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Just letting you guys know, I won't be around for a couple days. My Mom is having surgery in the morning and will be staying in the hospital over night. Plus it's the weekend, which means I don't get much time to be here anyway. She has a blocked artery in her neck and must have it opened up. It's kinda risky, so hopefully, everything will go alright. Keep us on your prayer list please.

sodascouts
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Your family is in my prayers, Brooke.

Koala
05-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Brooke, your mom and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

Prettymaid
05-14-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm thinking of you Brooke and hoping your mother's surgery goes well.

Prettymaid
05-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Wasn't yesterday the day Lou was to fly back home? What's her status? Does anybody know?

MikeA
05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
I think I heard the 18th Cathy.

TimothyBFan
05-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Brooke-good luck to your Mom and report back on the surgery when you can!

Lou is still in the states and her and Jess were kidnapped last night by twin 3 year olds!! :hilarious: They were babysitting!

Molly
05-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Good luck to your mom, Brooke.

MikeA
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Hang in there Brooke. Best wishes to your Mom!

cynd1231
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Brooke, hope all goes well with your mother. My own Mom is having her second surgery as I write this so I can certainly relate to your concerns. I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

On a lighter note:

Just got an email about the upcoming "River & Brews" Blues Festival in Red River, NM on June 11-12. It's really a ton of fun with terrific music. I'll miss it this year because I'll be in Boston visiting my son and attending an "EVENT" at Gillette Stadium. But every year when I get the notice for this festival I think to myself, "They're missing the perfect opportunity to add a tag line. The posters should read 'RIVERS & BREWS...WHERE YOU CAN DROWN ALL YOUR CARES'. (More than a few drunken sots have ended up in the river....)

MikeA
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
There is a "Brews, Blues and BBQ" festival in Wichita this year. Johnny Lang is the headliner with I don't know who else on the menu!

If possible, I'll certainly be there!

AzEaglesFan
05-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Doctors appointments and more doctors appointment. Hubby was told that he does not have to have his gall bladder out, so good news there. I have had to go down and have two sleep apnea tests, what a pain. I will get the results in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't have to try and sleep with a breathing mask on. I didn't get much sleep with it on down there.

Wildthyme
05-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Doctors appointments and more doctors appointment. Hubby was told that he does not have to have his gall bladder out, so good news there. I have had to go down and have two sleep apnea tests, what a pain. I will get the results in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't have to try and sleep with a breathing mask on. I didn't get much sleep with it on down there.

As someone with sleep apnea who uses a CPAP I can tell you I didn't sleep well with it at the sleep test either. They slap this mask on you, hook you up to a few dozen sensors and then expect you to sleep in a strange bed all while knowing a sleep center attendant is monitoring you... Ugh! But once I got my CPAP home and started using it I noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of my sleep in just a few days and now I wouldn't sleep without it. You may need to try different types of masks and they may need to adjust the pressure on your CPAP but don't give up. I literally watched a friend almost die from untreated sleep apnea and I know mine caused cardiac problems for me so its definitely worth treating.

AzEaglesFan
05-17-2010, 03:34 AM
I have tachycardia and damage to the upper chamber of my heart for sure. They think sleep apnea caused the damage so that is why I took the tests. The first one without the CPAP and the second test with the CPAP. The real trouble is I have a reaction to the little pads that they hook the wires to. The glue on them causes blisters. My neck looks terrible, burns like crazy and hurts if anything touches it. I jokingly told a friend that they looked almost like hickys. My hubby was not amused.

ticky
05-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Awe Shirley! Im so sorry! it sounds awful! the whole thing! I hope the C-pap helps you sleep and, if it helps, there is life after sleep study *G* I've had a c-pap for 10 years now and I feel SO much better with it! You take care of yourself and be strong! You'll survive all this too. :grouphug:

Brooke
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Good luck to all of you with the sleep apnea problems. Maybe I have that!

My Mom came through her surgery fine, but had a few bumps, so is still in the hospital. She was supposed to come home the next day, so, I've been there off and on (along with my siblings taking turns after the procedure) every day. Her blood pressure keeps spiking and she is anemic and has diabetes and heart trouble, so dealing with all that has kept her there. She was doing much better last night, so hopefully, my younger brother will be bringing her home today.
Thanks for all the good wishes.