PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening in Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Brooke
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Mine too Molly. I'm so sorry.

eaglesvet
02-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Hang in there Molly. Good to see you still have a sense of humor...can never hurt! That and lots of prayer!:angel:

Mrs Frey
02-05-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm just catching up here, but Peekaboo and Molly... I'm so so sorry for your losses... you are in my thoughts.

My friend, who has been battling cancer for just over a year now, is sadly not going to make it. She's hanging on at the moment, having not eaten for week (she's being fed through a drip), but her family is grateful for every moment she is able to spend with them. I saw her just before Christmas, and it was difficult to face, but I knew that it wouldn't be long before she started deteriorating dramatically (after the experience I had with my mother nearly three years ago now).

It's been very tough for me, as I feel as if I'm reliving the whole experience I had with my mother. I especially feel such sadness for her two little girls, her doting husband and parents.

If some of you are wondering what has happened to me, I've been unbelievably busy at work. The only reason I've been able to log in for the last two days, is because I'm in training, and I'm logging in during my lunch break. When I'm at the office, I just keep working through my lunch times, unless I have somewhere I need to go or things to do.

It seems as if my band is falling apart, and I feel powerless to stop it. I had an offer from another band, led by a friend of mine (the entire band have become my friends since then), to front their band on a permanent basis (I stood in with them for about 5 gigs in December and January). I turned them down, even though they're a busy band, out of loyalty to my friends.

Only time will tell if I made the right decision, but I would never have forgiven myself if I had left my friends. Some things are just more important than others.

TimothyBFan
02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Hang in there Molly! Have faith and you will get thru it!

MF--I hope everything works out for your band. That is very admirable of you to be so loyal to your friends instead of going with that other band.

Brooke
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Good to hear from you again MF. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and the problems with your band. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers also.

Troubadour
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Molly and MF - you are in my thoughts. I hate to read about the difficult times some of you are going through, but it's heartening to hear that you're staying as positive as possible. Stay strong, and lean on us when you need to.

ticky
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Molly, Awe how awful! Im so sorry for you and your family. Love and strength to you and your Uncle.

M-F ~ Im sorry for you and your friend. I hope she doesn't suffer. And your band?! Awe! that just sucks. Good for you for being so loyal. Hope it all works out for you.

Peekaboo
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh Molly, My deepest sympathies for your losses. It's so hard to deal with things like this but we must stay strong throughout.

MF- I wish the best for your friend. Cancer is such a horrible thing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

It is always hard to deal with the tough times and even to read about others hard times but it makes my heart feel good to know that we have an amazing community of people here that I can share not only my love of the Eagles with but can let out some things that are not always easy to deal with. I want to say thanks to all of you for being such wonderful people and friends.

sodascouts
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
MF - I'm terribly sorry to hear about your friend. I will pray for her family in this difficult time.

I'm sorry to hear about your band, but even if it breaks apart, at least you can comfort yourself that you acted out of loyalty and therefore are the better person for it.

I'm grateful for the support I find here as well, and I'm glad to offer it in return!

Glennsallnighter
02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Gosh Molly, you and your family have been through the mill in the last while. I really hope things get better for you. Of course I'll keep you in my prayers and the others that are undergoing hard times at the moment.

MF I've been following your friends illness with you and can only feel sorry for her and her family and friends. She is putting up an admirable fight and I hope she is comfortable and not in pain. I understand how distressing this must be for you too having lived through it before. I hope your band can regroup. You can hold your head high wrt your loyalty to them whatever happens. Remember 'when God closes one door he opens another'. AND girlfriend, DON'T work too hard!! :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Wow, thanks for the support, girls. You are all really great. :grouphug:

Well, the main reason I cannot leave my friends is because I love them. It's as simple as that. I'm very fond of the guys in the other band, who as I mentioned, have become my friends, but it can never be the same as with my own band, with the people I love.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my friend. She would really appreciate it.

Well, it's nearly 18:00 on a Friday evening and I'm still at work!:spin: I've been here since 06:20! It's time to go home! I need to get some cycling in tonight!!!:nod:

Troubadour
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I've just bought a brand spankin' new laptop, with lots of RAM, which is being delivered on Monday! Yeah! As some of you know, I've been between computers for a while, struggling with a painfully slow borrowed one... I can't wait to have all my music and documents up together again. Hopefully the chat will be a lot kinder to me now, too! ;)

ticky
02-07-2009, 07:31 PM
YEA!! Happy Dancin for Lou!!! No more duct taping you to your seat!! Unless its just for fun *G*

Peekaboo
02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Good for you Lou!! My laptop is going on 3 years old now and it's getting slow. I bet I could've gotten a new one with all the money I spent on Eagles tickets and concert memorabilia these last few months. But it was all worth it.

DonFan
02-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Good for you Lou!! My laptop is going on 3 years old now and it's getting slow. I bet I could've gotten a new one with all the money I spent on Eagles tickets and concert memorabilia these last few months. But it was all worth it.

Troub, I'm glad you got a new computer too. My desktop computer is about 5 years old and I really need to replace it, and I thought the same thing, Peek--that I could've used all that Eagles ticket money for that. But you are right--it was all worth it.

My iPod Mini finally bit the dust today. :-( It was four years old and I use it constantly--I try to walk 2 miles at least 4 times a week listening to my iPod (mainly Eagles' songs :)) so I REALLY need it to be fixed. I took it to the Apple store and they tried to sell me a new model, of course, but we don't have the $$$ for that, so I kept asking if they could fix it. Finally they admitted they couldn't, but they would take it in on trade and order a new reconditioned one for me for about $50.

ticky
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
My iPod Mini finally bit the dust today. :-( It was four years old and I use it constantly--I try to walk 2 miles at least 4 times a week listening to my iPod (mainly Eagles' songs :)) so I REALLY need it to be fixed. I took it to the Apple store and they tried to sell me a new model, of course, but we don't have the $$$ for that, so I kept asking it they could fix it. Finally they admitted they couldn't, but they would take it in on trade and order a new reconditioned one for me for about $50.

I'd like to request a moment of silence for DF's Ipod. It was a good friend and a faithful companion that did it's job well till it's dying day. Good by dear friend, may you stay forever young.
Amen...

DF's Ipod ~ 2005-2009 RIP

Peekaboo
02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Rhonda you crack me up!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

That sucks about your ipod Dana. I have a feeling that mine will be biting the dust soon as well. I've had it for over 3 years and it's starting to get black lines across the screens and sometimes I can't get it to turn off.

DonFan
02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Ticky, you are such a hoot! :hilarious:
BTW, y'all will never guess what happened to hubby & me last night. Our whole crowd goes out for drinks at this local Mexican place called Pablos every Friday night. We had been there about an hour and hubby had just ordered his second drink. He picked up the frosty margarita mug and it shattered in his hand. He stood up, wiping frozen margarita out of his lap, when suddenly we noticed he was bleeding. He had cut his finger open when the mug burst and he was bleeding all over the place. The waiter brought a mop and another margarita ( ? ) and everyone was coming over to see what had happened. A cute 30-something brunette came over and said “I’m a nurse—do you want me to look at it?” He doesn’t really like to be the center of attention, but he grinned at her & said “Sure.” She said it might need stitches and then produced a roll of gauze out of her purse, and after he washed it off, she bandaged it up for us. I took him to our neighborhood after-hours clinic and since he is on blood thinner because he has a stent in his heart, they actually had to put a rubber band on his finger to act as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. They ended up putting a special “wound glue” on it along with two butterfly strips to hold the wound together, then bandaged it up with gauze and gave him a tetanus shot.

They ended up giving us our drinks & dinner free (duh) and told our friends that happens all the time when they get busy because they take the mugs right out of the dishwasher and fill them with frozen drink (double duh).

You just NEVER know what is going to happen on a Friday night!

sodascouts
02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Dang, they'd better be more careful - you could sue them for medical expenses! At least you got a free meal!

TimothyBFan
02-07-2009, 10:59 PM
DF--glad hubby is alright but I'm sure that was a little scary for awhile! BTW-that restaurant should give you a few free meals and drinks. Next time ask for the drinks in a plastic cup! :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Oh DF! I'm glad your hubby is ok. I never mind a genuine accident but its a bit much to say that something happens 'All the Time'. A bit irresponsible IMHO......

DonFan
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
It's funny, but several people have said we ought to sue them. Problem is, Pablos is our favorite neighborhood hangout, like our very own "Cheers," and we don't want to lose that. It is a very minor cut and healing nicely.

Glennsallnighter
02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
I understand entirely how you feel DF! It'd never feel the same going there again. Perhaps though you could have a friendly with someone on the management team that you know well and suggest they do something about the situation before something more serious DOES happen. All it would need would be for someone to have overheard that comment!

I'm glad the wound is healing. Hopefully it is not impairing your hubby too much!

glenneaglesfan
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I've missed so much since I last checked in.

Molly. I'm so sad to hear about your losses, and your brother's accident. I hope he is going to recover. I'm thinking about you. My Phil also truned 21 a couple of weeks ago - I forgot how close in age he and Peter are. Unlike Peter, Phil hasn't yet found his vocation, and is currently at home working part-time while he decides what he wants to do with his life. Right now it looks as if he won't be resuning his university course. Mark is about to go travelling to Asia for three months with his ex(?) girlfriend.

Troub, sorry to hear about your accident. We just had light snow here - just enough to make it look nice without too much inconvenience. I hope you are getting over it.

DF, glad your hubby didn't sustain any more damage, but it must have been a scary moment. That's a sweet story about him bringing the kitten home, I hope you've managed to find someone to look after it.

MF, so sorry to hear about your friend and her brave fight with cancer. I hope her remainigndays are comfortable and my thoughts are with you both.

I'm still off sick trying to get my blood pressure down, and trying to sort out my late father's affairs and support my mother, who is just coping at home but lonely and confused. I wish I could be with her all the time, but we have no spare room so I'm phoning daily and visiting as often as I can. We hope that she may agree to moving to a purpose built flat near us in due course, but that may be more than she can cope with.

I really miss coming here, but thank you all again for the support and friendship of this wonderful community.

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 07:21 PM
We miss you too, GEF. I've been thinking about you and your family - thanks for the update.

DonFan
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for checking in GEF. Try to come back whenever you can!

I had to go to court yesterday for the speeding ticket I got back in December. I was easily the oldest person in the room other than the judge :blush: and I sat there for over an hour listening to the judge hand down discipline to all the teenagers--many ran red lights, one was driving 81 in a 55 zone. He was very thorough and gave them all the "Driving is a priviledge, not a right," lecture. One sweet young thing flounced up there and handed him a check for the fine for her speeding ticket and the judge said, "Whose check is this?" She said, "My stepfather's. He's the one who bought me my car," and grinned at the (rather young) stepdad. The judge called them both up to the bench and said, "She will never learn anything as long as you keep bankrolling her mistakes. I want you to bring me her license and I am going to keep it here over the weekend. I know that is an inconvenience but I want to show her that she can't keep doing this without some kind of punishment."

By the time he got to my little minor "40 in a 25" zone, he automatically said, "Driving school?" and I nodded and that was it.

TimothyBFan
02-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Good for that judge!!! :applause: Now if only some parents would do that! Sorry about your little "punishment" tho DF. Kind of an inconvience I'm sure.

Brooke
02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
It's great to hear from you again, gef. Take care of yourself. I know you are going through hard times and will keep you in my thoughts.

Df, you must slow down girlfriend! And good for that judge! :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
GEF! I know things aren't easy for you at the moment. I hope your mom is able to move nearer you. I know how much you like to check on her. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. You are a wonderful person to be able to shoulder all this responsibilty. I'm sure your mom appreciates all you do for her. :hug:

DF! That was a great story about the young lady. We have to teach those in our care to take responsibility for their actions. Not bail them out.

However I don't understand the comment 'Driving School'. What do you have to do?

Molly
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
gef -good to hear from you, again. You and your family are in my thoughts as well. Feel better soon. I know it's hard getting blood pressure sorted out with the medication and everything.

Thanks for asking about my brother, Danny. He's pulled thru his surgery, but he's extremely frail. He'll have a long road ahead of him if he's to recover. One day at a time.

It's a shame Phil is putting his University plans on hold. That's what my older son, Tom has done and he's yet to resume school. I keep telling myself he has plenty of time to sort things out. In the meantime, he works long hard hours and makes good money at the job he currently has so I shush with any nagging.

Peter joined a fraternity a few weeks ago, so we see even less of him than we did before. And that's OK, coz it saves on my grocery bill!

Tuesday, a propane tank started on fire at a construction site on the Marquette University campus. The south end of the campus, including the building where Peter was attending class had to be quickly evacuated. No one was hurt and the tank never actually exploded. But, my heart went into my throat when I saw the evening news having lived thru a propane explosion with my husband's company 2 years ago. I don't know what it is about my family and propane!!

It would have been nice of Peter to think about his poor old Mom at home hearing about this on TV. I had to call him to see if he was OK. He was stuffing his face at the campus cafeteria, annoyed about the evacuation and the class cancellation...he never once thought about calling his family. :fingerwag:

Brooke
02-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Good to hear from you Molly.

Kids, it's hard for them to think sometimes, isn't it?! I am glad to hear Peter wasn't hurt and that his lunch went down easily! :lol:

My son also dropped out of college a year ago with 1 semester to go. Just couldn't take it anymore! He's working, but could do much better. Of course, we must be thankful he has a job at all the way the economy is.

Good luck to your brother for his recovery, too.

sodascouts
02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Glad to hear your brother made it thorugh the surgery, Molly, although obviously he's still got a long way to go. What a scary momemnt with the propane tank - especially since it was his building! - but glad Peter's OK!

tbs fanatic
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I had to laugh, Molly, at Peter's reaction to the propane tank scare :grin: Sons! What can you do with them :shrug:

Glad to hear your brother is starting on the road to recovery.

Lisa
02-13-2009, 08:00 PM
First, I want to commiserate with the medical traumas, and the traffic court appearance, too.

February brought me a startling moment.
A new fast-food restaurant (not an "oil-deep-fry" place, but not a "no oil fry at all" place--) opened during the first week of February--right down the street from my residence--but--to no real effect; the air flow goes the other direction from me and disappears. (Actually, this one seems to be more of a "microwave it from frozen" place. I try to stay out of, (and away from), them all).
For a week, I wasn't too sure what would happen with the environment. Residential zoning--there are no other food-huts or set of huts around here. (And, there should be none! Too much pollution).

DonFan
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
DF! That was a great story about the young lady. We have to teach those in our care to take responsibility for their actions. Not bail them out.
However I don't understand the comment 'Driving School'. What do you have to do?

GA, many states allow you to go to a Defensive Driving Class that emphasizes safe driving practices as an alternative for paying your ticket. You have to pay for the class, of course, but after I attend the 3-hour class and show the judge my certificate of completion, the ticket will be removed from my driving record.

EagleLady
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Well Me and my brother went to the dentist today. I need a filling and four teeth extractions. My brother needs 5 root canals and 4 extractions :fear:

Koala
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Saturday I had big back pains,
I was already in the bed and when I wanted to get up at night
I have simply tipped over and have fallen on the back of the head.
Now I have a painful concussion! :(

ticky
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Koala! Ouch!! I hope you are alright! That doesn't sound good at all!

El~:fear: Yikes! good luck!

EagleLady
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks Rhonda. Koala, I hope you get better, that is painful. The only good thing about it is I'll be in lala land doped up while they are taking my teeth out.

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
GA, many states allow you to go to a Defensive Driving Class that emphasizes safe driving practices as an alternative for paying your ticket. You have to pay for the class, of course, but after I attend the 3-hour class and show the judge my certificate of completion, the ticket will be removed from my driving record.

Ah I see!! Not a bad idea at all, particularly if the ticket is removed. We have a camera outside on the main road which tells you what speed you are doing (Its a 50 km/hr zone). Lots of the kids are treating it as a target!

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Koala I hope you are feeling better soon.

EL Enjoy Lala land!! Take some Eagles with you and generate some nice dreams!! Your Brother will have quite a time with 5 RC's. I had one done 3 years ago and it took 5 hours in total. The only painful bit was her bill of €850 at the end of it all!!

EagleLady
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Ouch. They didn't play The Eagles today, but if they do while I am there again for the filling and the extraction, I'll be toe tapping in my sleep :hilarious:

Koala
02-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks everybody!I´s goes to me already better! The headache is not any longer completely as bad as yesterday!

Stars
02-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Koala, so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope you are all healed up soon!
I had a mishap last night. I got up around 2 am to use the bathroom, and I banged my toe very hard on a metal box! Then I couldn't sleep for the rest of the night, it was hurting so bad. So I'm sure I'll be limping around at work today! UGH.:sigh: I feel like I'm becoming a real klutz lately with falling at the library and now this! Oh, the perils of aging!:wink:

EL, hope they do play the Eagles for you during your tooth extraction. I had four wisdom teeth pulled when I was 17, and in those days they put you in the hospital!:hilarious:

Brooke
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Ouch, Stars! Hope your toe is ok!

And EL, good luck with the dentist. I had that done years ago, and it was not fun, to say the least.

My Dad's 83rd birthday is today and just us siblings are going there at noon for a small party. He is at home and hospice comes 5 days a week to help Mom. He's doing ok, but feels anxious a lot of the time now. It's so hard to watch.

EagleLady
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Brooke.

sodascouts
02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry to those folks who are hurting - physically in some cases and emotionally in others. I can only imagine what it's like for your dad, Brooke - although I'm glad he's doing OK right now.

Koala
02-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks stars, I hope to your toe it is better again!
Brooke, I hope that you, your Dad and your family still have a nice birthday!
EagleLady good luck with the dentist!

Mrs Henley
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Brooke, take care!
Stars, hope your toe is soon better!
Elisa, good luck at the dentist!

____

Well, I'm not doing really fine, got some healthy issuses and I don't want to go the doctor, but I guess I have too.. My tummy is hurting for approx. 3 weeks and it's not going better.

EagleLady
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Danielle. I hope your tummy gets better.

Mrs Henley
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks Elisa, my mom thought it was from the woman thing (ya know what I mean ;)) but that would be really strange

EagleLady
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh I do. I love your avatar BTW.

tbs fanatic
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Opened the paper today to read the State of Kansas is running out of money - state employees (my hubby) may not get their pay checks Friday and state tax refunds are on hold :eyebrow::worried: That went down well with the morning coffee :scowl:

Mrs Henley
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
@ EL: Thank, Timmytubby and Glennielyn :heart:

@ TBSF: Awe so sorry to hear! Hope it's soon fixed!

TimothyBFan
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
tbsf--WOW!! That's really scary. What next? Something has to give and soon!!! It just doesn't seem as if there is any light on the horizon right now! Good luck!!!

ticky
02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
AWE tbs!! that's awful!!! My hubby is a state employee too. We havent run out of money, yet *knock wood* but it's scary to see what they're doing to our retirement. Best of luck to The State of Kansas and all it's inhabitants!!

Brooke
02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh my tbsf. That is scary.

So, why hasn't Pres. Obama fixed everything yet?

<ducking and running>.................................................. ....

Stars
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Mrs. Henley, hope you feel better soon. I know what you mean about going to the doctor-I don't like to go either. But sometimes it's the best thing to do for yourself, especially if you aren't feeling well. Get well soon!:thumbsup:

tbs fanatic
02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
We are hoping the State will get it's act together and sort this out pronto but right now they are just bickering about it - Aaaaaaaaaugh! Beam me up Scotty!

Peekaboo
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Daniel I hope you get to feeling. Trust me, going to the doctor is the best thing. You don't want to put it off if your in pain.

EL, good luck with the dentist. I remember when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I woke up when the doctor was only half way done. He had to hurry up and finish. I ended up with a big bruise on the right side of my mouth. I was so bruised and swollen that I looked like a beat up chipmunk. :hilarious:

I finally went to the doctor today and got some medicine. I've been sick ever since I got back from Florida two weeks ago. I was thinking that i just had a common cold and was taking over the counter meds but I only got worse. Coughing, sore throat, ear aches, headaches. I toughed it out and went to work anyway. So much for a common cold, I've actaully had bronchitis and a sinus infection. My doc said if had waited another week (like I thought about doing) I might have ended up with pneumonia. It's only been half a day since seeing the doctor and taking my antibiotics and i'm already feeling so much better. Thank goodness I decided to come back home and go to the doctor today.

EagleLady
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Ouch Jess. I am glad that you are getting better

Koala
02-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Mrs. Henley, I hope you feel better soon.

Peekaboo, nicely to hear, you are better again!

Troubadour
02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Oh dear - sounds like we're all a bit under the weather at the moment! I've been up all night being sick and suffering with back/stomach pain. I haven't managed to face food yet, but I'm trying. Hopefully it's just a short-lived thing. I hope you both feel better soon, PB & MH :hug:

ticky
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Awe Lou, Danielle and Jess,
Ya'll just need to say NO to sick! I hope you all feel better soon! In the mean time....

He's here to take care of ya'll *G*
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/DHenleyJTB01.jpg

Troubadour
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I hope he's got a thermometer!

tbs fanatic
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Get well soon everyone - think Spring like thoughts :yay:

Update - our Governor is doing some 'in state' borrowing to make sure state workers get their paychecks on Friday (thank the Gods). Although I'm not sure borrowing from Peter to pay Paul sounds like a good idea. Doesn't that then leave Peter without enough money??? And so it starts again...

Brooke
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes, girls. Say NO to being sick and pain. Get well soon, ya hear?

Here's a hug from Don:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Henley/DHenleyASWTDID6.jpg

sodascouts
02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Glad to hear your husband's getting his paycheck, TBSF, but how scary that they even have to contemplate that kind of thing!

Peek - thank goodness you went to the doctor - pneumonia is pretty serious and I'm relieved you headed it off.

Prettymaid
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Get well soon everyone - think Spring like thoughts :yay:

Update - our Governor is doing some 'in state' borrowing to make sure state workers get their paychecks on Friday (thank the Gods). Although I'm not sure borrowing from Peter to pay Paul sounds like a good idea. Doesn't that then leave Peter without enough money??? And so it starts again...

Ha! that's what the US government has been doing for years!

Peekaboo
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks everybody for the well wishes. And thanks for the lovely pics Ticky and Brooke. I am feeling so much better today. I was feeling pretty bad during the last few days and it's crazy how i feel like a new person now. I'm so relieved that my throat doesn't hurt anymore. I just cringed every time I had to swallow. Thank goodness for the new meds i'm on. They are working wonders for me. I hope everybody else that is under the weather will get well soon.

Troubadour
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
That's great news, Jess. So glad you're slowly getting back to your normal self.

Brooke, loved the Don hug! Very cute.

Brooke
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I thought it would help everyone feel a little better just imagining a hug like that from Don! I know I would! :laugh:

Stars
02-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Hope everyone feels better very soon! That Don hug that Brooke posted should do the trick! Brooke, was that one from "All She wants to do is dance" from F1? I was just watching that one the other day, and loving that Don hug!:grouphug: to all!

Brooke
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Stars, I assume it came from this site somewhere. I didn't take the pic or cap myself. I wish I did. It makes you feel "fuzzy" doesn't it?! :heart:

Stars
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Brooke, that Don hug does make me feel "fuzzy", plus I love to see him in those flannel shirts!:heart:

ticky
02-20-2009, 04:09 AM
We're heading out this weekend for our annual tree planting excursion at the cabin. I think we have about 800 to put in this weekend and then we'll head back up in a few weeks and plant another 600 or so.
WT is coming too!! and Im taking my guitar *G* so while Dad, Cliff and probably my cousin Bill are planting, we'll be pickin and singing and reading and talking A LOT! *G* Im looking forward to it. We'll be back Sunday night. Have a great weekend!!

TimothyBFan
02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Ticky--I love that!!! Do you guys plant trees every year? That sure seems like a lot of trees! Cool!!!

TimothyBFan
02-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Yesterday school was canceled again because of the weather. I just got a phone call that school is canceled again today but because all the school buses were vandalized very badly last night!! Give me a break!! I hope they get these kids and string them up. We already have almost 2 weeks of school to make up this year at the end of the school year because of the weather--now we have to add on because of something like this! Told Dillon he may graduate on May 31st but he will still be going to school for 2 more weeks! Bummer!!!

Troubadour
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Have a wonderful weekend, Ticky & WT! It sounds like a lot of fun.

TBF, I hope Dillon doesn't lose out too much because of the vandalism. It's so frustrating that people don't think about the consequences for others.

I've just agreed to do a 26-mile walk to fundraise for the children's hospice where my mum works :help: I'm a bit nervous, but really excited. I've always wanted to do something like this and I have a few months to prepare for it. It's in June, so it may mean that I can barely stand up at the Eagles show (but they'll probably be glad of that!) The treadmill-pounding begins tomorrow...

Stars
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Lou, that's wonderful news that you'll be doing that 26 mile walk to raise money for the children's hospice! Even if you can't stand up at the Eagles concert in June, I'm sure some kind soul will be happy to prop you up!:hilarious:
Good luck to you!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Lou-- I :applause: you. I love to walk but 26 miles!! What an accomplishment that will be. Good for you for taking it on-- and a very great cause that is near and dear to my heart. I thank you!!!

Peekaboo
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Have a great time Ticky and WT!! Sounds like it'll be fun to do that.

Lou, what an amazing thing to do.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Good for you. I'm sure when you get to the concert, whether you're sitting or dancing up a storm, you'll realize that it was all worth it.

Willie, what a bummer that that happened and school has to get pushed back 2 extra weeks. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around and whoever did the vandilizing will get the punishment that is deserved. It's just too bad that the inocent ones, like your son, have to also suffer the consequences of their actions.

Stars
02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
A great BIG thank you to Troub for finding my new avatar and putting it up for me! :thumbsup: I had been looking for a picture of my two loves together, and Troub found the perfect one. I just love it! I love Glenn's expression, and I love seeing Don looking at his hand. Perhaps he forgot the lyrics and had them written there!:hilarious:

Troubadour
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
You're more than welcome, Stars! Glad you like it :thumbsup:

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement. I've just looked up the date of the walk and realised it's the 7th of June - EXACTLY a month before I see our boys! How exciting.

ticky
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks Everybody.

Willie: The tree planting this is because we're basically (Leagally) a tree farm. We plant now and in 20 years we'll harvest. We have 84 acres. The 14 that are river front dont get planted much but the rest gets it pretty heavy. It's really hard work for the guys (us poor weak frail wimmin folks jus sit in our rockin chars an' knit heheheheehe) actually, it is really hard work and the guys do it all. We go to fix food *G* and keep Mom company and just cuz its a lot more fun with everyone there.
Sorry to hear about the kids out of school again because of Vandalizm! that's just dumb. Here they announced that Summer break would be a week late because of the snow days this year. Start knocking summer break back for these kids and maybe they'll think twice about breaking windows and cutting things up.

Lou: WOW!! 26 miles!! when I was a teenager we used to walk 20 miles for Muscular Dystrophy but 26, thats a marathon.. really *G* Best of luck!! I know you can do it and you'll have a great time :)

Stars: The new AV looks great! Very nice choice :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Ticky--can I come live there? It just sounds like paradise to me!!

We do the same thing here with our snow days. In the past 13 years since my kids started school, they have only gotten out of the scheduled last day of school ONCE!!! You all know about the area I live in and the lake effect snow we get every year. We always, on the average, go at least 1 extra week a year and usually more, even with "snow days" built into the school schedule. Now vandals will keep kids in school even longer. Ridiculous.

Attending a going away party tonight for one of our best friends, and fellow vinyl club member, Jason. He leaves for Afghanastan in the morning for a whole year. Please say a little prayer for him and his family, if you all can, for his safe return and a fast year for his 3 children.

sodascouts
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Ticky and WT - have fun!

Troub - oh my gosh! That's quite a task, but I'm sure you're up to it. Good for you!

Willie - oooh, that pisses me off. I assume students do it - don't they see they're only hurting themselves?

Star - love the new avatar!

AzEaglesFan
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
All my cousins in Ohio used to get snow days, I was so envious.
There was a bunch of school buses damaged in Phoenix and come to find out it was a man that owned a glass company. He was making a fortune off of the school district by replacing all of the broken glass that he was breaking at night. They finally put in cameras and caught him and one of his employees.
ticky , some people I know own a Christmas tree farm in Washington. Is that what you have?

TimothyBFan
02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Just went online for the local tv station and they have a pic and story about what happened. Apparently about 30% of the buses were hit, slashed tires and radiators and spray painted. They had a picture of one of them and "white power" is spray painted across the bus. That really p*sses me off even more now!

DonFan
02-21-2009, 07:38 PM
A great BIG thank you to Troub for finding my new avatar and putting it up for me! :thumbsup: I had been looking for a picture of my two loves together, and Troub found the perfect one. I just love it! I love Glenn's expression, and I love seeing Don looking at his hand. Perhaps he forgot the lyrics and had them written there!:hilarious:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw your av, Stars!

Troub, good luck with that walk. It's a looooong way but I know you can do it, and it is for a great cause!

DonFan
02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
You all know that I have been looking for a new job for quite some time--well, I have good news! I went to a job fair at our local science center & museum two weeks ago --I used to volunteer at there when my children were small--it is a wonderful place that makes learning about science fun--and they hired me!

During my interview, I gave them a new resume tailored just for this position, highlighting my experience writing newsletters, my volunteer experience, and my experience substituting in my daughter’s schools. Then I attached a couple of travel articles I had written, and we started talking about other museums I had visited on travel writing assignments. We talked about me helping to write a visitors' questionnaire on suggestions for improving the museum, and also about me writing an in-house newsletter for docents and volunteers. Then the interviewer said, “We need someone to maintain a blog for the center—do you have any experience posting on blogs? “ (Uh, just four years posting on Eagles sites…. :grin:)

They offered me a job immediately and I started this week, working Monday-Wed-Friday as a floater in the Education Dept, learning background on all the exhibits. Part of the time I will be working as an exhibit educator with children in school groups, so my job and my schedule won't be finalized until the extensive background check on me is complete.

I am so pleased--this couldn't have come at a better time. I won't be able to come on The Border as often as before, but I will pop in every chance I get!

Prettymaid
02-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Stars, that picture was featured in the caption this thread starting here.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184&page=3

Freypower
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
You all know that I have been looking for a new job for quite some time--well, I have good news! I went to a job fair at our local science center & museum two weeks ago --I used to volunteer at there when my children were small--it is a wonderful place that makes learning about science fun--and they hired me!

During my interview, I gave them a new resume tailored just for this position, highlighting my experience writing newsletters, my volunteer experience, and my experience substituting in my daughter’s schools. Then I attached a couple of travel articles I had written, and we started talking about other museums I had visited on travel writing assignments. We talked about me helping to write a visitors' questionnaire on suggestions for improving the museum, and also about me writing an in-house newsletter for docents and volunteers. Then the interviewer said, “We need someone to maintain a blog for the center—do you have any experience posting on blogs? “ (Uh, just four years posting on Eagles sites…. :grin:)

They offered me a job immediately and I started this week, working Monday-Wed-Friday as a floater in the Education Dept, learning background on all the exhibits. Part of the time I will be working as an exhibit educator with children in school groups, so my job and my schedule won't be finalized until the extensive background check on me is complete.

I am so pleased--this couldn't have come at a better time. I won't be able to come on The Border as often as before, but I will pop in every chance I get!

Congratulations, Dana. I know how much this means to you. Good luck with it.

Prettymaid
02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Then the interviewer said, “We need someone to maintain a blog for the center—do you have any experience posting on blogs? “ (Uh, just four years posting on Eagles sites…. :grin:)

See DF, all this posting came in handy! :hilarious: So happy for you!

sodascouts
02-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Congrats, DF! More moolah for Eagles tickets. ;)

Stars
02-21-2009, 09:13 PM
DF, congrats to you! That's wonderful news!:yay:

PM, thanks for posting the link so I could see the captions for my new av! It looks like someone else thought Don was looking for the lyrics on his hand too. I especially loved Troub's comment about the laser-what a hoot!:hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Hope you are all having a great time Rhonda Cami and co. Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend.

DF thats brilliant news about your new job. Congratulations - I know you have been looking out for a while so I'm sure you are delighted. Don't worry about missing Border time. I've had to cut mine as well since I got a new job in November, but you'll make the time somewhere, and we al understand that 'life' gets in the way sometimes!!

Lou good luck with your walk. Think of how well you'll look when the Eagles roll into the UK a month after from all the training you put in!

TBSF, thats a bummer that your schools are closed again! That 'make up' means that you must have a hard time planning holidays at the end of the school year. Over here is days are lost through emergencies such as bad weather, heating failure etc we don't have to make up the days, only if it is a premeditated closure. We don't have school busses to vandalise either!!

eaglesvet
02-22-2009, 08:13 AM
It's nice to read a bunch of good news here!!

Rhonda, that sounds like a fabulous place to escape to!! How far is that from your home? Is it a Christmas tree farm (cut-your-own); and has it been harvested yet? Or is this just the beginning stages of it?

Dana, that sounds like a wonderful job--what a lot of fun! I always enjoyed going to science centers with my sons whenever we traveled, as well. What city is it in? Is it a really large science center, or one of the smaller ones?

Lou, that's quite a walk! About how long do you think it will take to complete, once you are all trained for it? What type of terrain/location will the marathon take place in? I don't know if you do much walking now, but definitely keep it up after the marathon...think of all the health benefits you'll be maintaining!

On that same Sunday as your walkathon (June 7), I'll be heading up an annual community event here to benefit the Bedwell Elementary School, where my son Graham is in his last year (4th grade). This is my fourth (and final!) year as one of five chairpeople to organize and run the "Bedwell Boardwalk," which is a huge fair we hold every spring on the school grounds. Typically, depending on the weather, we have about 500--900 people attend this event; which costs about $7000 and upwards of 50-70 volunteers to put on. We generally net about $3000 for the school; with an associated on-site "Basket Raffle" organized by another committee netting another $3000--$3500. So, when all is said and done, we have a nice chunk of change going back into the school, that lately has been used for new technology such as 'computers-on-wheels' and 'smart boards.'

Although the Boardwalk seemed a daunting undertaking when we 5 ladies started the committee 4 years ago, we have streamlined everything so that it runs like a well-oiled machine. At this point, it is truly a labor of love that is a lot of fun to plan and host! The name of the event derives from the Jersey shore boardwalks that feature carnival rides, games, and food. My own specific job has been to plan and hire the giant inflatable rides (moonwalks, obstacle course, giant slide), carnival-type games, spin art, magician, pony rides, balloon artist, and some sort of animal presenter. The last 2 years we have had a naturalist present an hour-long talk on interesting mammals such as wallabies, cavies, skunks, etc--of course bringing along his animal friends for the kids to meet! He has been a big hit. This year, I am looking into a presenter from the "Wetlands Institute" in South Jersey to talk about turtles or horseshoe crabs, and who also can bring a travelling Touch Tank full of sea stars, sea cucumbers, hermit crabs, etc that the kids can explore for the full 4 hrs--that's the part that I'm excited about! That'll really tie into the Jersey shore theme...
Anyway, ALL of that, plus food, drinks, and snacks...for 4hrs on a spring Sunday afternoon in June...can't be beat! Actually, this year because of the economy, we've received permission from the school to run the fair as a community event rather than a fund-raiser as it has been in the past. We just want the families to come out and have fun, so we're doing a wristband thing where the cost will be $15-$20 per family (rather than buying tickets for individual things like in the past.) We just want to cover our costs, and forego the profit that would get donated back to the school.
SO, Lou, while you are charitably walking for 26 miles, I'll be thinking of you as I'm running around for 8hrs before, during, and after my last Boardwalk! (Can you tell I'm proud of our endeavors?)

TimothyBFan
02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Congrats DF--Glad to hear it. Sounds like an exciting and interesting job. The new things you will learn will be fantastic.

Horrible news here once again in our little town. There is a passenger train from South Bend to Chicago several times a day and goes right by here and makes a stop about a mile away from our home. Lots of people frequent it often because it's easier and cheaper than driving to Chicago. My daughter started getting text messages last night that there had been a car train wreck around 6 last night. I knew that our best friends daughter from Chicago and her boyfriend were going back to Chicago after the going away party Friday night. They were on the train and apparently a car was trying to stop at that tracks (no drop bars, just lights) and slid into the train because of all the snow once again. The car had 3 teenagers in it and one of them was thrown from the car and killed. My son worked with all 3 of them at McDonald's and goes to school with them. Our friends Chris and Amy, after just dropping their daughter off and watching the train pull away, got in their car and started up the street toward the crossing where it happened only to come across it just seconds after it happened. Just spoke to Amy and she is very shook up still this morning and says all she saw last night every time she closed her eyes was the dead kid laying outside the back of that truck covered in blood. We have a wonderful volunteer fire dept here and they arrived within minutes but there was nothing they could do for him. Looks like the other 2 kids are going to make it but are in really bad shape also.

In a community where everyone knows everyone else, these kind of things just hit extremely close to home. It will be a very sad week here.

eaglesvet
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh, Willie, how dreadful. I can only imagine how horrible that would be if it happened in our little town.

sodascouts
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh no, how horrible! At least two of the kid survived, but this will be a difficult time for everyone. I'm praying for you guys!

Troubadour
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Willie, I am so sorry. What a horrible, horrible tragedy. I'm thinking of everyone involved.

Dana - CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so pleased for you. It sounds like a great job!

Eva, thanks for the encouragement. I walked the 3 miles home today as part of training, ipod on full blast! I do quite a lot of walking within my job, but it's a case of building stamina and getting used to those long distances. It'll be a real challenge, but it's one I'm excited about. The walk takes an average of 9 hours. It follows an historic route from Winchester to Salisbury in the south of England, named Clarendon Walk. The terrain is quite diverse, but it's mainly beautiful countryside (which always helps!)

This will tell you a bit more about it. If you click on the County Council leaflet link, you can find out some more about the history of the walk.

http://web.mac.com/gmeh/iWeb/NaomiHouseClarendonWalk/24%20Mile.html

Good luck with the Boardwalk - it sounds a lot of work, but a lot of fun! Good on you for putting such effort into it. You have every right to be proud. Btw, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for your son's name. Graham is not particularly common on children/teenagers in the UK, so it's nice to hear it!

tbs fanatic
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh my gosh, Willie, what an awful thing to happen. Cannot imagine.

DF - congrats on your job. Sounds wonderful.

DonFan
02-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Congrats, DF! More moolah for Eagles tickets. ;)

Actually, my first few paychecks are going to my VISA to pay off last year's Eagles tickets! But thanks for all the congratulations, everyone. And EV, it is a really large science center--we have four floors filled with both permanent and travelling exhibits, plus an IMAX theater.

Willie, I was sorry to hear your bad news. What a tragic accident.

EagleLady
02-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Congrats DF On your new job, Willie I am so sorry to hear that. What a terrible tragedy

Glennsallnighter
02-22-2009, 05:49 PM
EV, the 'Bedwell Boardwalk' sounds like hard work, but a great way to spend an early summer afternoon (and a few early summer bucks in a good cause). I hope for your son's last year that you all do really well.

Lou the walk sounds great. I hope you get trained up in time and that you really enjoy doing it. Actually I wish I could join you!

Willie that is terrible news for your community. What a horrible accident. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

DF, that looks like a very exciting job. As a trained science and Maths teacher I would love to be able to bring classes to science fairs but we don't have them here!!

Stars
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Willie, I was so sorry to hear about the tragic accident in your town. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with all.

Peekaboo
02-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh Willie, that's so tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to your community during this difficult time.

EV and Troub, you are both doing such wonderful things by participating in those walks. Big applause goes out to you.

Congrats on the new job Dana. I'm so happy for you.

ticky
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh Willie! How horrible! I am so sorry for the tragedy! I am familiar with small communities and I know something like this can devastate everyone with in it. My thoughts and prayers go out to each an everyone of you within it.

Dana *G* Congrats!! What a fun job!! I am so happy for you!! YEA!

Eva ~ Your boardwalk sounds Like so much fun! but a lot of work! Kudo's to you for undertaking that for the last 4 years!!

We just got back from our weekend. It was BEAUTIFUL weather on Saturday and we got 600 trees planted. Cami and I walked around and took a lot of pictures, some of which I'll post later. Evidently during the winter there was a big log jam that shot down river and got caught up around swimming hole. It's all still there and still beautiful, but it has a new beach, the river has been slightly rerouted and there is a HUGE log dam!
Eva- the tree farm is a timber farm. We planted Pines mostly this trip but we'll be planting about a dozen Sequoia's just for looks (and to tease the loggers driving by *G*) in March. We'll also be planting a lot more Firs and Cedars up on the hill side in the future. We wont be harvesting till Sarah's my age *G* LONG term investment, but then, the money from that harvest will pay for her children's college education and the taxes on the property. We selectively log and the last logging payed my for education. We're one of the last independently owned tree farms of this kind in the area. That's pretty unfortunate because the corporations aren't nearly so selective or careful.

Koala
02-23-2009, 03:11 AM
Willie I am so sorry to hear that it´s horrible!

Congratulation to the new job, DF

TimothyBFan
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Ticky -I can't wait to see the pictures. I still say it must be as close to paradise as you can get at that cabin and area. Just how long does it take to plant 600 trees and how many people? That is very impressive.

What with the vandalism at the school Friday and the accident with those kids on Saturday night--it's been a weird weekend and I must admit I had a hard time watching my kids get into the car this morning and drive away to school.

I'm also a little sad, I sold my 2005 Ford Mustang this weekend. We had talked about it and tried to last year but no takers and on the spur of the moment Friday I called the local paper and listed it and got the first phone call Saturday morning before we were even out of bed. I love my Mustangs and always seem to have one but was getting tired of playing musical cars what with this one, my winter truck, Larry's work truck and kids cars, moving them around and trying to store this one every winter etc... the money in the bank account seemed more appealing. I'm sure I will really miss it if it ever quits snowing and the weather straightens up but oh well!

ticky
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Willie, I know how you feel about seeing the kids go off. I feel the same every time I hear an ambulance or a police car go by, but Im sure to a lesser degree as there hasnt been any big tragedies here for a while. And Im sorry you had to sell the Mustang. I'd LOVE to have a little red convertible but in Oregon you might get a week or two to drive around with the top down.

Okay, so here are the cabin pictures, well the pictures I took this weekend. The one of Sarah standing in front of the wood pile is the log jam.. its about 200 yards deep and covers more then half the river.. Im so glad we weren't there when it came down the river, I bet it was scary as hell!! Im sure it came down in pieces, but there are a few logs there that are about 3' in diameter and at least 12' long.
Cabin Pics - Feb 09 (http://tickypages.com/2009_Feb/)

TimothyBFan
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I was right--PARADISE!!!! That looks like the kind of place Larry and I are always telling people we want to retire at. How's the fishing? How close are you to the river? It's just beautiful. Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep sometime, trying to get away from the "big, bad, real world!"

ticky
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
*G* The fishing is incredible is you like rainbow trout! in the summer that's my favorite breakfast, fresh trout from the river.

We're about 400 yards from the river (the cabin is) the 14 acres on the river narrow a bit to the west but are pretty wide on the east side. My Aunt and Uncle border us on the east side in the old family Manse *G* (A pretty nice old ranch house, barns and HUGE garden) but unfortunately they have to sell.

The west side of us is a State park, but the south side (across the river) Is owned by a logging company. Fortunately they legally cant log within a half of a mile of the river SO we're somewhat protected. We really want to BUY that property, but they will NOT sell!!! The North side we own (across the dirt road from the cabin) up to the ridge (about 69 acres up the mountain) It's pretty rocky and steep and theres a lot of drainage issues so it's not perfect for tree planting BUT! if you're a rock hound, a lot of thunder eggs and Jasper gets rinsed down the mountain!

Cami and I thought it'd be a LOT of fun to have a Border Party up there this summer *G* Between the cabin and bunk house it sleeps 8; 11 if you double up. (the cabin has two bedrooms with a queen sized bed in each and a fold out in the living room plus a twin sized convertible bed/sofa in one bedroom) Plus we have full camping and RV facilities and we HAVE an trailer, but it's my brothers and it's in so/so condition (but it also has the prettiest spot on the property *G*)
Anyway, it's just an idea *G* but it would be a lot of fun!!!

Glennsallnighter
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Willie! I'm sorry about the Mustang, but I can understand your reasoning! make sure you keep some of those $$ safe for a few Eagles gigs. Then you won't feel as bad!

Ticky! Those pics and the whole concept of the tree farm are amazing. the idea of a Border party is terrific! Make sure you keep the 4 most comfortable beds for any 'unexpected arrivals' :wink:

Unfortunately, Oregon is a little too far from Ireland to travel to the Party! :sad:

sodascouts
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
A Border party - that would be great! Getting the money to head out to Oregon after buying Eagles tickets... not so easy! But I wish. The cabin area looks amazing.

Willie - sorry about the Mustang, but just think of that money!

Troubadour
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Gorgeous photos, Rhonda, thanks for sharing! It looks like a beautiful place.

Brooke
02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
What a beautiful place you have in the woods, ticky! Thanks for the pics.

Willie, I'm so sorry to hear your news. What a tragedy.

And DF, congrats on the new job!

Peekaboo
02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
The pictures are lovely, Rhonda. And a Border party sounds like it would be a great time!!! :thumbsup:

Koala
02-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Beautiful pictures, the place looks lovely!

glenneaglesfan
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Just a quick catch-up. DF, congratulations on the job - it sounds right up your street, and of course, more money for Eagles tickets!

Ticky, I haven't had a chance to look at your pics yet as my new laptop often crashes when I click on links, but your cabin sounds amazing, and the idea of a Border party sounds a hoot! Too bad I'm so far away and the husband is so anti.

TBF, sorry about your Mustang. I always find it hard to part with old car friends. I was really upset when we finally sold our camper van. That had been round Europe and had many happy memories.

My life is gradually getting back together, and I am due back to work next week even though the blood pressure is not yet right. My younger son has just set off to Thailand with his ex-girlfriend for four months travelling. They hope to visit Cambodia and Laos as well. He has emailed to say he has arrived safely, but I shall be worrying about them. Older son and I went to see "Slumdog Millionaire" today. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I thought it was a great film, exciting and scary the way the plot developed.

sodascouts
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Great to hear that things are starting to get back to normal, GEF.

I just had an interesting meal! My friend and I went to Applebee's because they have a two-dinners-and-appetizer-for-$20 deal. Well, the guy who waited on us was completely WASTED on some type of downer. He couldn't stand straight - he was swaying, sweating profusely, unable to focus.... we ordered two drinks and an appetizer first off, and he took forever to write them down - we had to repeat ourselves several times. After he finally got it down, I asked him to repeat the order back to us because I was suspicious that he didn't write it down correctly. He paused, said he couldn't read his own writing, and started over. TWO DRINKS AND ONION RINGS. Dude!!! And then, once he left with this part of our order, he came back five minutes later to ask us to repeat our drink orders! He mumbled something about the drink being $1... I said, "Wow? Really? A dollar?" And he blinked and said "Did I say that? Uh, don't know why I said that, it's not right...."

I guess we should have called a manager, but we got our food without incident, so we let it go. But wow, he's gonna get himself fired if he keeps that crap up. Not everyone is so patient.

EagleLady
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Wow, That is exactly why Employees Should be drug tested at least once a month IMO

Glennsallnighter
02-26-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm glad things are going better for you now. I hope your son and his friend have a great time in Thailand. you won't notice the time while he's gone!

Soda that was some experience :lol:. At least you got what you ordered, but over here no employee would even be allowed onto the floor in that condition!! With jobs getting harder to find now and secure, most employees are tightening up their act these days. You guys were very tolerant!!

TimothyBFan
03-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Had a great night last night with friends at dinner and the concert and then reality sat in once again ---this morning woke up to the toilet not flushing and so we went downstairs and the pipes are backed up and coming into the basement. There is a plummer in the basement and I am literally calculating how much this is costing!! :-(

DonFan
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
UGH, TBF--what an awful situation! Good luck with that.

My daughters & I spent the weekend in Huntsville to celebrate my mom's 83rd birthday. We had a great family celebration but we almost didn't get back home because we woke up this morning and it was snowing! We don't get much snow in Alabama so this is a big deal. Thankfully there wasn't much accumulation and the roads were pretty clear, so we carefully drove the two hours home as the fluffy white snowflakes swirled around the car. Now the sun is out so it is melting, but the low tonight is 22 degrees so we may get more snow.

Glennsallnighter
03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Congratulations to your mom DF! I'm glad you had a good weekend and looks like the snow didn't cause too much inconvenience to you. I hope it stays that way.

Willie! Yuck!! I hope you get the plumbing problem sorted and that it isn't too $$

Brooke
03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Willie, how terrible. Hope you get it all working again soon.

Hubby and I went to south MO to visit our son yesterday and ran in to a blizzard (nearly) in the Ozarks. We were stalled on the 4 lane for 45 minutes due to a 4 car fender bender (hopefully no one was hurt seriously) and it was snowing like crazy. When we came to a stop, looking in the rear view mirror a pick up couldn't stop and the driver went in to the median to get stopped. He did a great job not hitting anyone or bending up his own truck. When we finally got into town we nearly turned around and went back home, but decided to go on and luckily we ran out of the storm just outside of Ozark. For about 30 miles it was terrible driving conditions. The 4 hour trip took 6 hours! Then coming home this afternoon, the roads were all clear. What a difference a day makes!

Maleah
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Guys! I have committed the most horrific crime! I'm freaking out!! I can't sleep! I'm almost to the point where I can't eat (almost!)!!! I've had to type this three times...my hands must be shaking! It's HORRIBLE!!!!!!

I....can't....find...my sister's Eagles tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!! I've looked EVERYWHERE in my apartment!!! I'm set to go through the garbage bags next!!!! EEK! The concert is in A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fainting:

AzEaglesFan
03-08-2009, 01:42 AM
First you need to :pray:, then call on your guardian :angel:, if that doesn't work you may need a :soda:with a good stiff shot of the hard stuff in it.I do hope you find the tickets. I would be freaking out too.

Koala
03-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Oh no! Thats really horrible!
I hope you can find the tickets!

sodascouts
03-08-2009, 04:22 AM
I....can't....find...my sister's Eagles tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!! I've looked EVERYWHERE in my apartment!!! I'm set to go through the garbage bags next!!!! EEK! The concert is in A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fainting:

Maleah, did you get them through Ticketmaster or a broker? If you got them from Ticketmaster or from the venue, you can call them, say you've lost your tickets, and they'll print you out new ones when you get there. You just have to make sure you bring the credit card you purchased the tickets with and your ID.

If you got them from a broker and can't find them, maybe you could call the broker and see if they can help.

This is all assuming you can't find the tickets - here's hoping you can!

EagleLady
03-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope you find the tickets

Brooke
03-08-2009, 03:20 PM
OMG, Maleah! I'm hoping you've found them by now. If not, I'm praying that you will.

Now I'm going to make sure I know where mine are....................

Ah yes. Just where I thought they were! Yikes!

Peekaboo
03-08-2009, 04:19 PM
OOOHHH NOOOO!!! Bring out the scent dogs. Call all the authorities. We've gotta do a massive search to find that ticket!!! I surely hope that you can find the ticket Maleah. Good luck with your search!!!

Maleah
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
You guys must be my good luck charms (or maybe it was the prayers ;) Thanks for them!) because I found them!!! I completely TORE MY APARTMENT APART! lol But.....the wreckage is worth it because I now have the tickets in a safe place!! LOL I feel positively giddy with relief!:hilarious: (I feel like bouncing up and down just like that smiley! lol) Thanks for freaking out with me!!! ;)

DonFan
03-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Maleah, I KNOW you are relieved! Glad you found them!
I always put my tickets in the same place--on my bulletin board over my home office desk, in plain sight so I can keep an eye on them.

Maleah
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks DF! See....MY ticket was always safe and sound. ;) :hilarious: But my sister's tickets were ordered off of ebay and they came in an envelope and I remember setting it on the arm of my couch before I went to work....and that was the last thing I remembered about them! LOL! But now they're in the same place that I put all my tickets......safe and sound! (thank God! LOL!)

ticky
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
got a case of the blah's today. It snowed twice and now it's just cold wet and over-cast out. I have a nasty chest cold and I feel icky. Upside, I get to play on the computer, listen to music and sleep! AND Since im so close to being stuck on the border, Im looking for some great pics to post!!
Now, tho, think I'll go lay down. BLEH!

Brooke
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Awww, get well soon ticky. :grouphug:

Troubadour
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
So glad you found the tickets, Maleah! You must be relieved.

Hope you feel much better soon, Rhonda. Pamper yourself a bit and take it easy. Pic-searching is always a good tonic! :hug:

Glennsallnighter
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm so gla you found your tickets Maleah. Mine are in our safe! As they are ILAA emails I also have saved the relevant emails to print out when the need arrives.

I have had a very busy few days. I was 'daddysitting' followed our noses, and next thing we were passing the RDS where there was a huge billboard poster advertising the upcoming gig. Then we stopped at for take away coffees on Sandymount Strand where the video footage for 'Strange Weather - Live in Dublin' was done! Oh......HFO was playing in the cd player as well. Dad wanted to know who the 'guy doing the talking was.....' He suggested 'Some American anyway!' If only he knew!!!!!!

I'm BBF with work at the moment, but I'm not complaining, as I had to have a few jobs done on the car.....and I took an overdue eye test today. the optician asked me how much I use computers :hilarious:. Anyway the long and the short of it is that I now have a new pair of specs!! And a warning that as Galucoma runs in my moms family I will need my eyes tested every year.

Meantime Laura walked off her annual Irish dancing competition on Sunday with 2 firsts and a second. She also made her 1st confession this evening - a minor but still important rite of passage in the Catholic church!

TimothyBFan
03-11-2009, 08:33 AM
GA-congrats to Laura. Hard work pays off!

glenneaglesfan
03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm catching up again as my time here is very restricted at the moment. GA, congratulations to Laura on her first confession. It's a big moment for her. You must be proud. Send her my best! Btw, thanks for that bit about the Strange Weather video - I fancied the lighthouse and ferry looked Irish, but I hadn't pinpointed it, so I'll be getting out my maps now!

Ticky, and anyone else under the weather, hope you feel better soon, and enjoy the task you have set yourself!

Maleah, I read about your ticket crisis with great sympathy - the number of times I've mislaid things is too much to think about. We've had to cancel our credit card three times in the last couple of years, either because I've left mine in a store, or just because it mysteriously goes missing.

I returned to work last week after sick leave with high blood pressure and stress. My colleagues were very welcoming, mainly because they've been missing the free range eggs that I bring in for them! (Not our own, but from a friend in the village). D and I have just booked a week in the Isles of Scilly - our little paradise off the coast of Cornwall, and are also having a couple of days in Edinburgh at Easter, one week after Jackson Browne is there, but it can't be helped. Goodness knows we both need some quality time after all that's happened over the last few months so we are both really looking forward to our breaks. Next week sees the start of another project - to level our back garden and build a conservatory onto the back of the house. It's a huge project as the only access for the builders is by taking down the old stone hedge at the back and moving all the materials down a field. We have the farmer's permission to go ahead, so it's all happening.

Brooke
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Great to hear from you again, Gef. I hope you've gotten your blood pressure issue resolved. Mine has been up lately, too, and I think it's due to the similar situation you and I have been in with our elderly parents. It's been very stressful for both of us. I hope your building project goes well and enjoy yourselves on your vacations.

Maleah, I'm so glad you found those tickets. Whew!

Ga, sounds like the 40's have kicked in. That's what my eye doctor told me when I hit 40 and had to get bifocals. I struggled with those and finally gave in to just reading glasses. I have a pair in every room in my house! Eyeglasses are a bummer when you've had near perfect vision all your life! And congrats to Laura! Well done! :applause:

We are in the midst of March Madness around here. Most of you probably know about the big college tournaments coming up. Well, our little high school girls basketball team has won their district title and sectional title and are now headed to the quarterfinal this Saturday night. If they win they will go to the State finals next week. We have a niece and a great-niece that are in the starting 5 line-up and it's quite exciting. :crazy:

Molly
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Maleah, I can't even imagine what you went thru looking for those tickets! Thank goodness the tickets are safe and sound!

Usually it's hubby who misplaces things around here and our lives come to a complete halt until whatever he's lost is found. Though I must confess, I spent 20 minutes looking for my glasses the other night. I took them off while I was working out and set them down in a really random place. Peter found them for me and I saw the "look" he gave me as he was walking away. He's probably already looking into which nursing home he'll send me away to in a few years.

GA, congrats to your daughter on her first confession. I seem to remember that as a great source of stress when I was a kid. I don't know why -I probably had really boring confessions. :angel:

Kate, I'm glad you're feeling a better. Take care of yourself and enjoy your time away with hubby.

Brooke, we're experiencing March Madness here, as well. With Peter at Marquette U -we're all Golden Eagles fans this time of the year.

ticky -feel better. The mysterious "viral illness" going around our community as well. So far, I've been good. Maybe the flu shot my employer made me get was worth it.

sodascouts
03-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Kate, thanks for finding the time to sign on. We really miss you around here! I hope your husband is helping that blood pressure go down by giving you less grief about the Eagles.

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Kate I too am glad that your BP has gone down, that you are back to work and that you have some nice projects to look forward to doing. Enjoy your holidays as well. You deserve them. How is your mom keeping?

Brooke, I hope the high school basketball team goes all the way. It certainly sounds like madness to me! Enjoy all the fun it brings, And thats for you too Molly! Maybe after all the madness you'll have an exciting confession!!

Hope you are feeling better Ticky!!

I got my glasses. Laura started laughing:hilarious: when she saw them. I'm starting to get used to them, though they are making me a bit dizzy!

Peekaboo
03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Gef, it's good to see that you dropped in to update us. I know your time on here is limited these days, but it's always good to hear from you.

Maleah, i'm so relieved that you found the tickets. No worries now. All you have to do is just get yourself all dolled up in preparation for an amazing night.

Hope your feeling better Ticky. Get well soon girl!!!

Today is my mom's birthday. My dad and I had some roses sent to her office and we had plans to take her to dinner this evening but she woke up not feeling very well and ended up not going in to work. She's been in bed most of the day and having a fever off and on. I feel bad that she's sick on her birthday. I have to go back home tomorrow for work and I won't be able to take her out for her birthday till I get to come back but that won't be for a few more weeks.

My niece made me laugh the other day when I picked her up from school. She's 4 and her name is Natalie but we call her Nat Nat. When she got in my car, I had my ipod on shuffle and Hotel California came on. She got all excited and said that she knows that song because her daddy plays it on his guitar (he's got a guitar hero). I can't sing worth a darn but it was such a cute moment with both of singing along to the song in my car. She was even playing a little air guitar. After the song was over, I told her who sings it and Nat Nat looked at me and said "I like the Eagles, Auntie" I told her that I was going to be seeing them next week in concert and she asked me if I would take her to see them when she grows up. Of course I will. Something to look forward to...more Eagles.

DonFan
03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Peek, I hope your mom is better. You are definitely helping to raise your niece on the right music!

I apologize that work is keeping me so busy that I don't have much time on the site anymore. I do try to log on every night and keep up with everyone's posts as best I can. Plus, I just can't miss a day in Henley Heaven! :smitten:

I will be AWOL for the next week--it is spring break here and another mom & I are taking our 17-year-olds plus three of their closest friends to Destin for the week. All the girls have part-time jobs now so they are helping to pay for the trip for the first time, thank goodness. I hope it warms up soon, because today it is 55 and rainy! Can't get much of a tan in weather like that!

EagleLady
03-13-2009, 06:39 PM
DF Hope you have a safe trip

Troubadour
03-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Great to hear from you, Kate. It's nice that you have those little breaks to look forward to. There's no doubt that you deserve them.

Jess, I hope your mum feels better soon. My mum is ill too, and I was running little errands for her most of the morning. It's her birthday in a week or so! Great job with your niece. Start working on 'em young! ;)

Dana, I hope you're enjoying your job, even if it means less Border time! Have a wonderful trip and take care. Hope the weather improves for you.

TimothyBFan
03-14-2009, 04:01 AM
It's 4 o'clock on Saturday morning and I'm up and it's not because I've been out partying all night (those days are long gone!). I have this terrible cold and I'm a wimp!! I NEVER get sick so I don't do this well. :hilarious: If I feel stuff coming on it never usually amounts to anything. That is a big advantage of working with germ carrying kids for a living! But this time the little buggers got me! Yuck!! Glad it's the weekend--if only I could sleep!!

EagleLady
03-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Aww Willie I hope you get over it soon, I hate being sick

ticky
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Kate! *HUGS* good to hear from you! Hope you and hubs have a wonderful get away *G*

Dana *G* Have fun on Spring Break!! sounds like you will!

Jess Happy Belated Bday to Mom and can you and your Dad give Cliffy birthday lessons? *G*

Willie! I thought we were going to avoid this cold nonsense! What happened? I know, it happened to me too. Mine's almost done, nothing left but this cough. Well, relax and get some rest. *G*

Cliff is taking Sarah to the St. P's parade in Hillsboro today so Ill have a little quality ME time *G* Although it'll probably be spent running to the grocery store, doing laundry and cleaning. BLEH!

ticky
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I saw the picture of Vince Gill on Tim's thread and it reminded me of this...
A few years ago I got deeply involved with genealogical research and I did most of my side of the family and it was pretty easy because there was a lot of information. Cliff's Mom asked me to research their side. It was a little more difficult because, well.. LONG story, but there just wasn't ANY information about Cliff's Dad or his family other then they came originally from Norman,Oklahoma and their last name was Gill. Ya'll might know Vince Gill also stemmed originally from Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma, Where Cliff's Dad's family is from. Okay, I have NOT been able to find any documentation (due to a lot of family blocking.. long story) that links these two families but YOU tell me.. this is a picture of Cliff's brother, Bob, on the left and Vince Gill on the right.
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/bobnvince.jpg
Im just sayin'....

EagleLady
03-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Wow, looks like Vince packed on the pounds

Brooke
03-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Hmmmmm, there is a striking resemblance there ticky! :cool:

TBF, hope you are feeling better. I hate being sick.

Our high school girls basketball team won their quarterfinal game last night and are headed to the Final Four in Columbia Thursday night! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/mcqueen.gif (sorry, basketball smilies are hard to find!) 2nd time in our school's history! It wasn't pretty, but they pulled it off. One of their worst games all season. Hopefully they will be back up to par Thursday! What with going to the Eagles concert Tuesday night and then back Thursday and Saturday for bb, I'm going to be keeping the roads hot this week!

AzEaglesFan
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Ticky, it might be easier to start with Vince Gill and work back until you can find a common relative. From the looks of the two guys they have to be related some where down the road. There are a lot of articles about Vince. He had a brother that died and he wrote the song "Go Stand High Upon the Mountain" about him, I have read more about his Mother than his Father though.

Peekaboo
03-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Wow, a striking resemblance indeed, Rhonda!!! Let me know if you find a link in the family history to Vince Gill. I think that's pretty interesting. I always knew that Vince was from Oklahoma but I didn't know he was from Norman. I'm born and raised in Oklahoma and I've actually lived in Norman for the last 6 1/2 years.

TimothyBFan
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys--I'm feeling better- the anitbiotics are kicking in. Sinus infection and Saturday, my whole face, right down to my teeth, was hurting.

Ticky--I hope you can trace the connection. Pretty cool!

Congrats to your girls Brooke, be careful on the road this week--lots of excitement to be had for you this week!!

Troubadour
03-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Glad you're feeling a bit better, Willie.

I've woken up feeling as rough as old boots. I've picked up what my mum had this week - cold, sore throat, aching EVERYWHERE. My glands are up, so I'm busy downing Sudafed and throat sweets. Luckily I have today and tomorrow off work, but it also sucks because it's beautiful weather outside! Hopefully it won't last too long. My sister & her boyfriend are coming down this weekend for my mum's birthday and I want to be well for that.

Have fun, Brooke! Congrats to the team!

TimothyBFan
03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Lou--Maybe some beautiful fresh air and sunshine will help a bit. I hope you get to feeling better. I hate this stuff!!

EagleLady
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Aww Lou I hope you feel better

Brooke
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Glad you're feeling a bit better, Willie.

I've woken up feeling as rough as old boots. I've picked up what my mum had this week - cold, sore throat, aching EVERYWHERE. My glands are up, so I'm busy downing Sudafed and throat sweets. Luckily I have today and tomorrow off work, but it also sucks because it's beautiful weather outside! Hopefully it won't last too long. My sister & her boyfriend are coming down this weekend for my mum's birthday and I want to be well for that.

Have fun, Brooke! Congrats to the team!

Get well soon Troub, and thanks.

I got up yesterday with a scratchy throat and a bit of a stuffy nose. I thought, 'This is not good for going to concerts and bb games.' :rolleyes: I don't really feel bad, just not good, like I would like to feel. Now today, besides that, I think I 'woo hoo'd' too much last night and my voice is raspy!

TimothyBFan
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
We have been lucky so far in that we haven't had any family or friends involved in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan until now. Our friend Jason (fellow vinyl club member) shipped out on Tuesday and here is the picture and article about his troop that was in the local paper yesterday. His wife and three kids are going to have a rough year or more and he will be missed by all of us. We live right next door and his wife's family lives all around us also and we are all very good friends and plan to support and help in anyway we can. (Soda-it will be safe for you to come to vinyl nights this summer--he won't be there with his camera & nasty pics- LOL)

Please keep him and all our troops in your prayers and hope they come home safely very soon!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/JasonMissyandMaddy3-2009.jpg

Tribune Photo/JIM RIDER
Spc. Jason Ryder of New Carlisle embraces his wife, Melissa, at Civic Auditorium in LaPorte as he prepares to ship out Tuesday. His 11-year-old daughter, Madeline, is at right.

Emotional sendoff: Area soldiers headed to duty in Afghanistan

By STAN MADDUX
Tribune Correspondent

LAPORTE — Kisses, hugs and tears flowed freely between a group of northern Indiana soldiers heading to war in Afghanistanhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090318/NEWS01/903180373#) and their loved ones at a Tuesday sendoff attended by about 700 well-wishers.

Donna Edds of Mishawaka appeared to relish the time she spent with her 22-year-old son, Kenny, before the troops departed.

Her emotions often swung from smiles to tears.

"He's my only child, so it's kind of tough," she said.

Lorne Brownlee, 20, of LaPorte, is leaving behind a 1-year-old son and a daughter on the way.

"I can't wait until he comes back home," said his mother, Connie, while fighting back tears. "I love him so much."

Steven Heck of Valparaiso was seeing off his 21-year-old son, Robert, who is among 175 members of the 113th Engineer Battalion based at the National Guard Armory in LaPorte heading to Afghanistan.

"I'm just concerned as a parent, but I'm proud of him," Steven Heck said. "He's doing what every good American would do."

The same unit spent a year in Iraqhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090318/NEWS01/903180373#), leaving in 2005.

Many of the troops are new to the battalion, and for about 70 percent of them, it's their first taste of war.

Their commander, Capt. Matt Bisig of Hobart, said he has the utmost confidence in his men, who range in age from 18 to nearly 50.

"I have no doubt in my mind we will do great and wonderful things," Bisig said.

Without going into specifics, Bisig said their duties will involve a lot of general construction work to help improve the quality of life for the forces already in Afghanistan.

Bisig was among the speakers at a ceremony that featured most of the troops being applauded as they strolled up the aisles of the vast LaPorte Civic Auditorium to take their seats for the 30-minute program.

"In gathering here today, we say you matter to us. We will not forget you," said LaPorte Mayor Kathy Chroback.

It's the second tour of duty in the Middle East for 24-year-old Jeremy Miller, a former student at Michigan City High School (http://southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090318/NEWS01/903180373#).

Miller said he's not as nervous this time but has the same fears.

"I kind of know what to expect," he said. "But, obviously, there's still that apprehension there."

His wife, Lauren, said her life until Jeremy gets home will be no picnic.

She's on her own to deal with the emotions and household finances.

"You don't want him to go again, but it's their job," she said. "What are you going to do?"

The troops and their families were fed in private in one of the banquet rooms at the Civic Auditorium before saying their final goodbyes.

By 2 p.m., members of the Indiana Patriot Guard, Wall Gang and other veteran support groups in a long stream of motorcycles decorated with flags accompanied a police escort of the troops in buses out of LaPorte to Camp Atterbury near Indianapolis.

The troops will undergo 40 days of training before departing for Afghanistan.

Dennis Francis, president of the LaPorte County branch of the Indiana Patriot Guard, told the soldiers, "We thank you for your service. We thank you for our freedoms. Anything we can do, we're here."

EagleLady
03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
My prayers are with him and his family.

Brooke
03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Mine too. Be safe Jason.

sodascouts
03-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Mine too... even if those photos he showed me were pretty... um.... shall we say risque? ;)

Brooke and Troub - hope you're feeling better!

Mrs Frey
03-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi Everyone

I'm sorry I haven't been visiting much, but work has pretty much taken over my life during the day now. My emotions are also like a rollercoaster, as I'm going through a very difficult time in my life, although I'm trying hard to overcome my sadness.

I lost my friend, who had bravely battled cancer since December 2007, on Sunday, 15 March. She was the most positive and spiritual person I've ever met. Although we weren't very close friends, she was an angel sent into my life when I was unemployed and sitting at the unemployment office, waiting to receive my payout for the month. She phoned me that day, saying that she believes I am the right person for a job she has available - this after a former colleague of mine had recommended me, and I had submitted my curriculum vitae (resumé).

I was thrown into the deep end once I began working, but she supported me and believed in me every step of the way. She became a friend as well as a boss, and was always ready to listen if I had a problem, and was interested in my life. She even invited me to attend church with her once, when a special guest musician was the speaker and musician for the night.

What makes the timing of her passing even harder to bear for me, is that my mother's memoriam (after three years) is on Monday, 23 March.

It was also exactly a year ago today that I witnessed the Eagles in concert for the first (and probably only) time with GA and GEF. I felt bad at the time for going, as my friend had taken a turn for the worst just before I left for London. However, she recovered sufficiently to respond to my e-mail, wishing me all the best for the trip, and she couldn't wait to hear details when I returned.

She was a remarkable woman, and she will be sorely missed.

Troubadour
03-20-2009, 07:01 AM
MF, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. It sounds like your friend was a wonderful lady. My warmest thoughts are with you and her family.

TimothyBFan
03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
MF--I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Please hang in there and know she is in a better place and comfortable now. :hug:

ticky
03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Willie, Your friend sounds like quite a man *G* My thoughts and prayers go with him and with all the men and women over there and for their families. I haven't known anyone personally who's been sent over yet but Jenni and Sarah's schools have an annual drive where they gather things for care packages to be sent over. We've always actively participated in this. Now I will do so with your friend in mind. God Bless him and his family.

Mrs. F, Your friend sounds like a really wonderful lady and special person. Im sorry for your loss. She obviously had a very deep impact on you. God Bless.

I've just gotten through a really rough day. Sarah was sick. She was really sick. I thought for a little while I might need to take her to emergency but the nurse said to wait 24 hours and try and get her fever down. She has asthma and couldn't stop coughing, even now her throat is raw and she can barely speak, but her fever broke and she seems to feel all right. Yesterday evening I couldn't leave her side or she'd start crying and the medicine didn't seem to be working. It was scary and Im exhausted even now. I just hope no one else in the family gets it! we're supposed to be leaving Sunday for Southern Oregon to see Cliff's mom! The last thing she needs is to get sick! I think I'll have another latte. I could use the caffeine.

Brooke
03-20-2009, 02:18 PM
MF, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'll keep you and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

Ticky, I'm also sorry to hear about your daughter's illness. I hope she gets over it soon.

A bit of happy news from me. Our girls high school basketball team won at State last night! Now they play Saturday for the Championship! Everyone around here is way excited for them. We have a small class 1A team (5 is the biggest). It's the first time in our school's history any basketball team has made it this far. :yay: :yay: :yay:

GOOD LUCK
LADY MUSTANGS!!

Prettymaid
03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I just want to post here to remind everyone again that I do read these posts, even though I don't have time to respond to everybody. I don't feel right responding to one person and not another. So I read, take it all in and send good thoughts. You are all great.

EagleLady
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Rhonda, I hope your daughter feels better soon. Sorry about your friend Mrs. Frey.

Peekaboo
03-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I just want to post here to remind everyone again that I do read these posts, even though I don't have time to respond to everybody. I don't feel right responding to one person and not another. So I read, take it all in and send good thoughts. You are all great.

I am the same way, Cathy. I also don't always feel like I have the right words to say about certain things so I don't always post a reply. But I do read these posts and when the good and the bad happen for some on here, they are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Koala
03-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Mrs. Frey, I am so sorry to hear your sad news!
Ticky, I hope your daughter feels better soon!

sodascouts
03-21-2009, 01:05 PM
It's true the thread can get overwhelming when trying to respond to everyone. I appreciate PM and Peek expressing their sympathies and cheers, even in general!

Monique, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. At least she is not in pain anymore. Be strong about the anniversary of your mom's passing as well - she would not want you to be unhappy. I remember a Christopher Cross song one time that's always touched me called "Think of Laura (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYEWeBarLww)." One line goes, "When you think of Laura, laugh, don't cry - I know she'd want it that way...." then at the end he changes it to, "Hey Laura, I know you want it that way." I'm sure that's true of your mother.

Ticky - hope your daughter gets well soon.

Brooke - thanks for sharing your good news. Your daughter must be very talented!

glenneaglesfan
03-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Like PM and Peek I don't get a chance to respond to everyone's individual threads these days. I hope those of you under the weather are feeling better, and Ticky, that your daughter is back to full health.

Brooke, congratulations to your daughter's team. Go girls!!

TBF, scarcely a day goes by without hearing about another British soldier killed in Afghanistan. I'll be thinking about your friend and all the others ffrom your community out there.

Monique, I'm so sad to hear about your friend, and how close it is to the anniversary when you lost your Mum. I remember those happy days last year when we met and celebrated our Eagles love together with GA and Timtot. Remembering the good times helps me to get through the bad, and I hope you can feel the same. My prayers are with you.:hug:

GA, sympathy with the glasses. I finally got a proper eye test, having made do with reading specs from the supermarket, and much money later, at last I can see in the distance as well.

I have had further health scares this week when unexpectedly I was invited for a radioactive scan of my heart. I had an echo, which apparently was ok, and since my blood pressure was coming down I was starting to feel better, then I got called in for this extra test which is quite invasive and very scary. I've deferred it until I can see my specialist.

On the plus side, my younger son is having a wonderful time in South East Asia and has sent us plenty of emails and photos, and my older son is helping the two guys who are doing the excavating and landscaping in our back garden to build a conservatory and level the ground, and after a week of beautiful weather, all is going to plan.

sodascouts
03-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Kate, you and your health continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself! Glad to hear the sons are having good times, at least!

Glennsallnighter
03-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I hope all of you with colds, viruses and flu's are all better soon. They are rotten doses at the best of times.

Good luck to your Basket Ball team Brooke. I hope they go all the way. However, regardless of the result I'm sure you are so proud of them.

MF. I know you emailed me about your friends death. I really sympathise with you and with her family. She was an exceptional person who fought a brave fight to the end. When one hears a story like this we realise how unimportant many of our daily problems really are, compared to what her family has gone through in the last 15 months. I hope she rests in peace.

GEF! I'm glad to see you back on with us and to hear that the conservatory is making progress. Hopefully you'll have the weather to enjoy it this summer. Mind your health too. I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm sure yor specialist will be able to advise you well. Great to hear that the boys are both happy.

TBF I too will pray for your friend and indeed everyone who is out in the middle East at the moment. They are doing a very dangerous job.

For my part I have been very busy with work as I have been given more allocations to do. However as you are paid per allocation, I'm not complaining particularly as I only have April to do. With so many people losing jobs, being put on part time and having to accept wage cuts I consider myself lucky to be working at all.

Molly
03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Monique, I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. As others have said, when you think of her think of all those amazing qualities she possessed and have good thoughts about her.

Hold good thoughts, too, as you go thru the anniversary of your Mom's passing. Friday was 11 years for my Dad -and I admit I don't think about him as often as I used to. Friday had it's somber moments -but mostly because I can't believe it's been 11 years and how much has changed (like my sons -grandpa's boys both now being grown men). It does get easier with time.

Kate-here's hoping you have that appointment on the schedule with your specialist. Please, please continue to take care of yourself and keep us posted.

eaglesvet
03-22-2009, 05:24 PM
I am the same way, Cathy. I also don't always feel like I have the right words to say about certain things so I don't always post a reply. But I do read these posts and when the good and the bad happen for some on here, they are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
Cathy and Jess took the words right out of my keyboard. I do check this thread often, and empathize with all of you in the sad and the happy events in your lives. Often, though, it is sooo difficult to think of the "right" response at the "right" time...and then to go back and try to post with everyone else in mind since the last time I might have read about them gets too overwhelming.
There are occasions when the thoughts come flying out of my mind through my fingertips, however, and I will post here and there. But if not, that doesn't mean I haven't kept you all in my thoughts and prayers!

DonFan
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone--I'm back from spring break and somehow I survived, and my daughter and all her teenage friends did, too. The beach was beautiful and after the first two days of rain, we had five sunny days. All week long we fought about drinking, smoking, boys, and curfews, however--I am exhausted. Teenagers! What can you do with them? :shrug:

Anyway, we didn't have any internet access in our condo so I am trying to get caught up on seven missed days here. I started with Henley Heaven :heart: and Don in the Press and I am gradually working through all the threads. Like Prettymaid said several pages back, I may not be able to comment on everyone's posts but I do read them and I do keep everyone in my thoughts.

Peekaboo
03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Welcome back Dana!!! Glad you had a good spring break!!! Enjoy catching up. There's lots of goodies to look at and read.

EagleLady
03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Welcome Back DF, Glad you enjoyed your spring break

Mrs Frey
03-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Ladies, I unfortunately haven't time to spend here, but I just want to say thank you to all of you for your words of sympathy, empathy and comfort. I appreciate it so much.

Today has been tough - I've broken down a few times already. An article was published about my friend in one of our country's leading magazines, and it was difficult reading it. There it was, in print, that my friend is gone.

The memorial service is this coming Thursday - my friend requested that no one wear black, and that we celebrate her life rather than mourn her passing. What an amazing woman - even in death, she reaches out and touches us.

I miss my mother so much - and it still hurts so much - even after three years without her. I have supportive friends, though, including all of you here on The Border, and it does help. Thank you all once again. :grouphug:

I've managed to read about some of your illnesses, or that of your children, and I just want to say that I hope everyone recovers soon. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific about any of you. Time is not on my side.

I do need to single out two people, though: Molly, I'm sorry that you had some tough moments on your father's memoriam (gosh, what a miserable month March seems to be), and my thoughts are with you.

Kate, I'm worried about you!!! I've been thinking about you a lot, and just know that you are also in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Brooke
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, I've been away for a couple days and am having such a time catching up. This has been a busy place over the weekend.

MF, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers during this sad time for you.

Kate, listen to your doctor and please take care of yourself. My Mom has heart disease and I know a little bit about what you are going through.

DF, glad to hear you survived spring break!

Good news:

Our little high school girls bb team took 2nd place at State on Saturday! We are so proud of them. My niece and great niece are on the team, not my daughter. lol (She would have loved that, as she was a very good player back in her day, and did make the all-state team back then, even though the team didn't make it.) The team they played for 1st really did deserve it. They were awesome. Since we are only losing 2 seniors (not starters), we plan to make it to the Finals again next year! :nod:

Molly
03-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Congratulations to the girls, Brooke! It's so much fun to watch the kids do well!

Welcome back, Dana. A trip with teenagers...you're a strong, brave woman! ;)

Glennsallnighter
03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
DF! I'm glad you had some lovely weather on your break, even if it appeared to be rather challenging! I'm glad too you all got back in one piece.

Brooke. Congrats to your girls. They did very well to go as far as they did. :applause: :applause: :applause: Hopefully they will go one step further next year.

MF. I know this has been a tough time of the year for you generally and particularly this year with the double blow of your friends death as well as your moms memoriam. I know how close you were to her. Hang in there girl, and come here as often as time permits you. :hug: :hug: :hug:

glenneaglesfan
04-05-2009, 06:52 AM
There's been such a lot going on and I have so little time to check in these days.

Younger son is having a wonderful time travelling - Thailand and Malaysia so far, then Borneo and back to Thailand where his older brother is flying out next week to join them. They are planning to visit Laos and Cambodia together and are due home in June. Mark has even managed to find himself in Kuala Lumpur today for the Malaysian Grand Prix!

On the downside, Phil's car was hit by a neighbour's daughter, four weeks after passing her test, and has been written off. No one was hurt, thank goodness, but the girl admitted that she had panicked and hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Her father insists that Phil was to blame so we stand to lose £750 excess unless we take them to court. Messy.

I saw a specialist last week, and he explained that my results were not really worrying, but that I should have a stress test on the treadmill just to make sure there is no cardiac ischaemia. I've had no chest pain but have been more breathless climbing hills than I used to. I think it's chronic lack of fitness, but i suppose I need to get the test completed. At least the blood pressure is coming down at last. Thank you all for your support. It really means a lot to me.

Mum continues to be a worry, phoning me and my sister late at night wondering where Dad is. We tried to encourage her to have a short 'holiday' in a lovely residential home near us, but she got very upset, so that's on hold until she gets worse. It's very hard for us all.

On the positive side, our back garden excavations are going very well, with an unexpected and welcome spell of dry weather. Included in the plans now is a hot tub, which will be delivered through the gap in the hedge while it is down. Here are a couple of pictures:

The first day:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_5017.jpg

Start of excavations:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_5029.jpg

GEF plays in the digger!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_5070.jpg

Ready to start wall building:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_5068.jpg

EagleLady
04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow Kate, that looks expensive, but it's gonna be awesome I bet.

sodascouts
04-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Always glad when you can check in, Kate! Pity about the car accident and your poor mom's struggles, but I'm glad otherwise things are going better - especially your health. I have been worried!

That backyard is going to be quite transformed! Can't wait to see the "after" photos.

Troubadour
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Lovely to hear from you, Kate. I'm sorry your mum's finding things tough - it must be hard on you. I'm relieved to hear that your blood pressure is coming down. You and your family are often in my thoughts.

That looks quite a project! Must be exciting! I love the photo of you in the digger. At least the weather's getting better so you can play around a bit more outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Glennsallnighter
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Great to see you posting again Kate! I know things have been busy for you recently. Your building work looks like its making great progress. We'll be dying to see the finished product.

I hope both boys have a great time in Thailand, Mark certainly seems to e enjoying himself.

Glad to hear your health is back on Hopefully the stress test will give you a clean bill of health.

As for the car accident, at least nobody was hurt in it, but it DOES seem the other driver was at fault. Was your son driving, or stopped at the time. If he was stopped it should be clear cut - in your favour.

Good luck with your mom. I know how difficult it is for you! Text if you want to rant!!

ticky
04-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Kate! you look right at home up there on that digger! Maybe you've found a new vocation! *G*
Glad to hear about your good health, but yes, most definitely have the tests! Stay healthy! Best of luck with your Mom, hang in there. I know she needs you and you're doing great so far.
You're going to LOVE your hot tub! I love mine! We need a new lid for it tho. They absorb liquid over the years and now it's too heavy for me to lift. Otherwise, may I suggest you get one with a foot massage? It's wonderful!! *G*

Today was about 75 degrees here and gorgeous! I spent nearly all day out in the garden and Im getting my tan back! Tomorrow it's supposed to be around 80!! YAY!! *G* Im thrilled to see the sun come back!

Peekaboo
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
It's wonderful to hear from you, Kate!! I'm glad that your health is improving. I wish you all the best with your mother. You are such a strong person to deal with that situation. Stay strong and good luck with the tests. I'm sure everything will turn out great. Can't wait to see pics of the garden when it's all finished.

I'm really looking foward to this coming weekend. Not only is it Easter but my family (on my mother's side) is having our first family reunion for descendents of my grandmother (my mom's mom). She passed away on May 3, 2006 from colon cancer. The last Easter that we had with my grandmother before she passed was one of the most memorable times for my family. My grandma had 8 children, 27 grandchildren, and 5 great-grandchildren. My family is spread all throughout Oklahoma and it was the first time in more than 10 years that all of my grandma's kids were together. I know that made her really happy to have all of them there. She was a Methodist preacher and that Easter Sunday was the last time for her preach. As sick and weak as she was, she was up at the pulpit preaching her heart out and she didn't miss a beat. It was so inspirational and it was a day that I will always remember. I'm so excited for this reunion. It's going to be a wonderful time.

sodascouts
04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman! What a great way to honor her memory.

DonFan
04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman! What a great way to honor her memory.
She really does, Peek. Have a great reunion & a great Easter with your family!

ticky
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
What fun Jess!! Have a great time!

Brooke
04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Kate, so good to hear from you. I love your pics on the digging machine! You look right at home! Ha! Looks like you are getting ready for quite an expansion to your home. Can't wait to see the finished look. I'm sorry about your mother. And glad your health is better. Best of luck.

Jess, have a wonderful Easter weekend. Your Grandma must have been quite a lady.

Glennsallnighter
04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
What a lovely way to remember your Grandmother PaB. She seems to have been some lady. We had a family reunion on my moms side about 15 years ago and we all had a great time. As some of the older members that attended have now passed on it is great to say that we managed to meet before it was too late. Have a wonderful time and a very Happy Easter. :hug:

EagleLady
04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
We found a hurt pigeon in our yard this morning so we took it to our local wildlife sanctuary. Sadly, it had a broken leg and had to be put to sleep :-(

Peekaboo
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
This weekend is definitely going to be a great time. I appreciate the nice things you all said I about my grandma. She was most definitely a wonderful person and is one of the most amazing people that I have ever known. I think that we're going to try to make this reunion an annual thing on Easter weekend. I hope we do because I love it when all of my family gets together. Good times!!:thumbsup:

Aww, that poor bird, EL. Even though it had to be put to sleep, you did a good thing by taking it to professionals.

EagleLady
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I'm glad he had a more natural death, than be eaten by a cat.

anne-o-gg
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Peekaboo - have a wonderful weekend with your family! How awesome to have this time with them.

Eaglelady - that was great of you to take the bird to a vet - most people probaby would have left it there to suffer a much worse fate.

We had a dove make a nest in a tree right outside our backdoor a couple of summers ago - I would go out and chat with her everyday...one day, I saw a hawk in the neighbors tree and I didn't think a thing about it - later that afternoon, our little dove was gone, her nest and eggs smashed on the ground...there were feathers from the back yard to the front... :-( so sad!

We are off to see the Hannah Montana movie in a hour -

Tomorrow we CLEAN! (hopefully!)...so much to do, so little time to do it before the move!

DonFan
04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
We are off to spend Easter weekend with my mother, sister, brother and his three children.

Have a Blessed Easter, everyone!

glenneaglesfan
04-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for your continuing kind wishes, everyone. It's been a lovely sunny weekend here and a very nice way to celebrate the Easter break. We are having a barbecue tonight in the front garden, still intact from the digger as yet! Older son is off on Tuesday to join his brother on his travels, so it'll just be D & I for two months. We've just had a three day break in a friend's flat in Edinburgh in Scotland, and were actually delighted to find that we really enjoyed our time together, without the boys! I also conquered a demon in climbing Arthur's Seat, 823 feet high, so feel more confident about the forthcoming stress test.

PB, I hope the reunion goes well. Your grandmother sounds like a truly inspirational lady.

EL, sorry to hear that the pigeon didn't make it, but it was a kind gesture to take it to the vet rather than let it suffer.

DF, have a great Easter holiday weekend.

Happy Easter to everyone on the Border! May you all have a wonderful time with your family and friends.

Peekaboo
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I had such a wonderful time at the reunion this past weekend. More of our extended family showed up than we thought would be there. It was so wonderul to have everyone there. We had a lot of fun playing volleyball, tug-o-war, bingo, horseshoe, egg toss, and water balloon toss. It was sooo cute to watch all of the little kids do the egg hunt. There was plenty of good food and good times had by all. At the end we all took a moment to remember my grandmother. She was the reason for all of us to be there together and I know she's so proud and happy of how well everything turned out and for all of us to be there. I'm already looking forward to next year's reunion.

ticky
04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
PB, what a great time! and a wonderful remembrance of your Grandmother. We do a very similar thing every summer. Its a huge family reunion and was the last request of my sister. We call it Sarah's picnic and this year will be the 13th year for it. It was the most wonderful gift she could have left for us because I have never been closer to my extended family then I am now. What's more, my children will know and grow up with their Aunts, Uncles and cousins as friends. I am thrilled to hear this is something you and your children will enjoy for years to come as well. There couldn't be a better legacy for your Grandmother.

TimothyBFan
04-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Ticky--exactly!!! Nothing more important than family!!

Glad you had such a great turn out Jess!

Stars
04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Jess, so glad you enjoyed your reunion-it does sound like a wonderful way to honor your grandmother!
EL, we found a hurt pigeon several years ago, and the same thing happened. We took it to a vet, but it was so hurt it had to be put to sleep. I remember we buried it out in the woods near an Irish music festival that we were attending. That was so good of you to bring it to the vet-most people wouldn't even have done that.
Well, on Saturday we acquired another cat! For many years, we had six cats, then by this past September, we were down to two. Hubby swore we would not take on anymore, but my son and his girlfriend found one wandering the streets of Philadelphia, and brought him home to us. We may just have him temporarily, til his girlfriend finds an apartment. He is a cute little orange fellow, and they named him Teddy.:)

EagleLady
04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Aww how cute, I love Kitties

sodascouts
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Sweet of you to take him in, Stars! With my small apartment, one cat is all I can handle!

Brooke
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
That was very nice of you Stars. My daughter has just moved from Austin to NYC and left her cat with her friend until she can get settled. I'm having the feeling he could possibly have to come stay with Grandma inbetween. And I don't think Beyonce will be very friendly. :huh:

Peekaboo
04-15-2009, 12:44 AM
PB, what a great time! and a wonderful remembrance of your Grandmother. We do a very similar thing every summer. Its a huge family reunion and was the last request of my sister. We call it Sarah's picnic and this year will be the 13th year for it. It was the most wonderful gift she could have left for us because I have never been closer to my extended family then I am now. What's more, my children will know and grow up with their Aunts, Uncles and cousins as friends. I am thrilled to hear this is something you and your children will enjoy for years to come as well. There couldn't be a better legacy for your Grandmother.

Aww, Rhonda, that's such a wonderful thing that your sister left for you all. I hope that my family's reunion continues on like yours has. My family means the world to me and this first reunion went off really well. May it continue for many years to come.

eaglesvet
04-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Hey Stars, If you only knew how many parents wind up with their (adult) children's pets (usually cats) forever due to some variation on this theme--whether it be found at college and roommate is allergic, OR moves to new city and can't take pet, OR girlfriend finds apt that doesn't allow pets -- you might soon find out that you and hubby are now the proud owners of 3 cats! Which is a nice number of cats to have, don't you think?:)

Stars
04-15-2009, 08:52 AM
EV, I do think 3 cats is a nice number to have, and already, we are getting quite attached to this little guy! However, my son called last night and it turns out that his girlfriend's mom finally relented, and the kitty will be moving into her basement apartment on Friday! I will miss him, but he'll be staying with us again for a week in May, when they go to Vegas! LOL.:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Stars, If you only knew how many parents wind up with their (adult) children's pets (usually cats) forever due to some variation on this theme--whether it be found at college and roommate is allergic, OR moves to new city and can't take pet, OR girlfriend finds apt that doesn't allow pets -- you might soon find out that you and hubby are now the proud owners of 3 cats! Which is a nice number of cats to have, don't you think?:)

A perfect #-which is why I have a cat a friend found in a barn, a cat that a friend found at the golf course she works for and a cat that my sister in law told a fellow nurse that I would take from pet refuge because it needed a GOOD home! I'm a sucker!!!:brickwall: But I love my furry 4 legged critter members of the family!!

eaglesvet
04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Willie, yours is the type of story that goes 'round town....soon it will be the pharmacist asking you when you are in to pick up a prescription, because he knows of your GOOD HOME...and then there were four...etc, etc!:)

tbs fanatic
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry, have to vent this morning. The latest drama revolves around my HS Senior and the dreaded 'Prom' :roll: So at 11:00 last night I have to hear - OMG, which one of the hot babes that are throwing themselves at my feet am I going to invite to the Prom? Apparently this is a problem of EPIC proportions. I try to disengage from this nonsense and get to bed but NO - I have to read texts from girls telling him how much they looooove him :eyebrow: I remind him we both have to be up at 6:00 a.m. the next morning but NO I then have to hear that he wants to look like a :pimp: on the big night. Oh, and, by the way, they are having the Prom at a hotel and I need to rent him a room there :headscratch::shock: Yep, like that's gonna happen! So I am tired and starting to wonder just what is the BIG PLAN for Prom Night (or maybe I shouldn't think about that - lol). Needless to say dearest son is at the top of the 'cut off their heads' list this morning :scowl:

sodascouts
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh my gosh, he asked you to pay for a hotel room for him?? That takes some cajones!!!

tbs fanatic
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, they claim it is so they can get ready for the night and then just waltz down to the party :lie: - does he think I was born yesterday :evil:

TimothyBFan
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
tbsf--I just know you got right online and booked that room didn't you? That is just hilarious that he truly thinks you might do that!

Counting my blessings, my son has not mentioned prom, or my sophomore daughter either for that matter which is really a relief.

We are having our own issues with a "stalker" for her. He had been sending her some pretty nasty texts a few months ago but then it stopped. This morning I get a text from her saying "can I have my cell # changed? I need to talk to you when I get home." WHAT????? Of course, now I'm a basket case wondering what the h*ll is going on! I have to think it's this boy again but don't know for sure. I'm going on record here and adding her to tbsf's list of "cut off their heads" teens! :brickwall:

tbs fanatic
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh my gosh, that is scary tbf. Good luck with getting that sorted out.

anne-o-gg
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
tbsf--I just know you got right online and booked that room didn't you? That is just hilarious that he truly thinks you might do that!

Counting my blessings, my son has not mentioned prom, or my sophomore daughter either for that matter which is really a relief.

We are having our own issues with a "stalker" for her. He had been sending her some pretty nasty texts a few months ago but then it stopped. This morning I get a text from her saying "can I have my cell # changed? I need to talk to you when I get home." WHAT????? Of course, now I'm a basket case wondering what the h*ll is going on! I have to think it's this boy again but don't know for sure. I'm going on record here and adding her to tbsf's list of "cut off their heads" teens! :brickwall:

as for this boy - score one for the "gun people" side - I'd like to think I'd chop HIS head off for messing with my kid...if he's a little guy, you could just chop him like a twig! One less bully in the world... mean, hateful people = one of my pet peaves!

Koala
04-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Yesterday is my grandmother (80) in the garden fallen , on an iron plate.
My grandfather has found her after half an hour.
With help of a neighbour he had brought she in the house.
Now she has scratches in the face and bruises on the whole body.
But luckily nothing is broken.

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandmother falling, Koala, but I'm glad she is OK!

DonFan
04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Koala, my mother is 83 and I worry about her falling like that all the time. I'm glad your grandmother was okay.

TBF, I am going through much the same thing you are with my 17-yr-old daughter and the prom, which is Saturday night. First the long dress--a Grecian-style beautiful pale gray strapless with black embroidery around the bodice--$175; black heels with ruffled straps--$55; nail and hair appointments--approximately another $75; then she and her 4 friends and their dates are renting a limo--her portion is another $75; pictures at the Botanical Gardens--not sure how much that will be; dinner is on the boy, thank goodness; then they are all going to a friend's lake house after the prom--with her PARENTS--I called to make sure.
Whew!

TimothyBFan
04-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Wow Koala--how scary!!! Thank God she didn't break anything. It's great when our elderly are living alone and independent but also so scary when things like this happen!

Well I blocked this boys number off my daughter's phone as advised by a policeman friend of ours. If this doesn't work, we may have to take more action. The kid has been thrown out of our school but still causing problems. My son had a few words with the kid which might help also. If my husband gets ahold of this kid... yikes! Last year, this boy lost his mother 2 weeks into the school year and then his father also passed away right before the end of the school year, and so he is now living with an older sister and her husband. Kate felt sorry for him and kinda befriended him a bit and it seems he misinterpreted her actions and when she told him earlier this year that it was going no further than friendship, he started getting nasty. Nothing other than nasty text but regardless, it needs to stop.

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Definitely. You want to nip this in the bud before it goes any further. Sounds like you're taking all the right actions.

Re: Prom - I remember all of that business, and thanking God I had a boyfriend at the time so I didn't have to worry about getting asked. Such stress! lol

Brooke
04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Koala, I'm glad your grandmother is ok. It is scary.

TBF, hopefully you've got it taken care of. Too bad about the boy's parents. I hope he gets ahold of himself and straightens up.

DF, sounds like your daughter is doing it up right! I remember all that and am glad it's all over!

Koala
04-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys, I am really gladly that she has only bruises.
I already had expected something more serious has happened.

tbs fanatic
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Koala - also glad to hear your grandmother is recovering.

tbf - sounds like you are doing all you can do. Scary situation though.

Update on the dreaded 'Prom' - it is sounding as though two different girls are thinking 'they are the chosen one' and are picking out their dresses :eyebrow: I've told dear son to get his act together and tell girl number 2 the truth, in a nice way, about the complete mess he's managed to make of things :fingerwag: before I do some serious butt-kicking :lightsaber:

Brooke
04-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Update on the dreaded 'Prom' - it is sounding as though two different girls are thinking 'they are the chosen one' and are picking out their dresses :eyebrow: I've told dear son to get his act together and tell girl number 2 the truth, in a nice way, about the complete mess he's managed to make of things :fingerwag: before I do some serious butt-kicking :lightsaber:

Oh dear!

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Well TBSF, I hope he manages to get the whole thing sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. It seems like quite a stressful time for these teens. Our equivalent is the 'Debutantes' ball known colloquially as 'The Debs' and seems to follow the same ritual as the American prom, yes with mommy and daddy footing the bill and paying for a hotel room is quite normal over here.
I'm afraid as I transferred schools for my last 2 years and only made a few friends in the new one I was rather boring and didn't bother going!

Koala, I'm glad your granny didn't suffer any more serious injuries and hope her bruises heal quickly.
Willie, that situation sounds extremely scary. Its difficult to know how much sympathy to afford to this young man, while at the same time having to protect your daughter. I hope it all goes ok.

I had a bit of a shock this evening when I switched on the news. As many of you know I taught in a disadvantaged area of Dublin for many years. A young man (whom I didn't teach, but knew the name) was murdered there a couple of months ago. I knew a few people were being questioned about the murder, but it was like being kicked in the stomach tonight when it was announced that a man had been charged with his murder, because his name was read out and he was one of the nicest lads I had ever taught. I got on really well with him and he would have been way down my list of suspicions for this crime. Even Laura knew (and remembered) him because he gave us his seat at a school function once. Our cops don't generally make mistakes, he was no angel, but I still feel sad for him. I know its no excuse, but some people don't get the chances that others get.

sodascouts
04-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow, what a shocker, GA. I certainly hope I never see a former student on the news in such a way - especially one I'd thought was a sweetie. How awful!

ticky
04-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Awe Lisa, Im so sorry to hear that. What an awful way to find out too. Im so sorry about that and I can only pray that this time the police are wrong.

Koala
04-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Im so sorry to hear that, GA!
That must be a really shock for you. I hope this I never in such
connection the names of a child must read with those I have worked or that I know!

TimothyBFan
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow Lisa--That's horrible! I bet it's still unbelievable to you.

tbs fanatic
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Oh that is terrible, GA. What a shock.

DonFan
04-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, my daughter's prom turned out fine. She and all her friends texted pics of their dresses to each other as they were shopping so no one showed up in the same dress. All the girls looked beautiful with their dresses in a rainbow of colors, and their dates looked so handsome in their tuxes. About 25 couples met at one family's house built on a crest overlooking our city to take pictures at sundown, and all the parents came to take pictures too. My mother happened to be visiting us for the weekend and she was thrilled to be able to see her granddaughter looking so elegant. Then their limos arrived and off they went to dinner, the prom, and then to her friend's lake house. She came home about three Sunday afternoon and immediately took a nap, but she said she had a wonderful time.

Brooke
04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Awwwww. Sounds lovely DF. :smile:

Glennsallnighter
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Beautiful DF! I'm so glad it all went well for her.

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow - that's great! Better than my prom experience. At the time, I already knew I was gonna break up with the guy, but I'm ashamed to admit I wanted to keep him as my boyfriend until after prom (hey, I was 18 and selfish). However, the situation made for some awkwardness afterward when he wanted to get romantic and I had to figure out how to deflect him without hurting his feelings.

Glennsallnighter
04-21-2009, 05:36 PM
I understand entirely Nancy! I guess no time is ever a good time to break up and I suppose we are all tempted to wait until after some big event. But it can be difficult as can dealing with all the conflicting emotions :-(

DonFan
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I understand too, Nancy. Funny thing about my daughter--over the last two years she has gone to several dances with several different boys, but she always says that they aren't dating, it is just "a date." She has yet to have a steady boyfriend--and I'm glad she isn't rushing into that, either!

TimothyBFan
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah DF--my kids also. Neither of them have had a serious boyfriend or girlfriend. I consider us lucky in that respect. Plenty of time for that later.

Peekaboo
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Awww, the prom. Those were some good times. I went with my highschool crush to prom my junior year. Although we were only good friends, it was still a great time. My crush had a girlfriend during senior year, which was a bummer, but I still had a had good time with my date at the senior prom.

I'm so excited about the upcoming weeks. There's so much to look forward to. First, one of my cousins that I grew up with is back in Oklahoma for the week. I haven't seen in her in a year. We were really close growing up and about 6 years ago she left Oklahoma with her boyfriend and moved off to California. Now they live in New Mexico and they have a beautiful 4 yr old daughter. We still keep in touch as much as we can but it's not the same as getting to see each other like we used to. I look forward to the next 3 days that i get to spend with her. Second, my other cousin (which i'm also really close to) is going to be moving from Florida to Dallas in 2 weeks. Dallas may not be home but it's close enough for me. I look forward to helping her and her family get settled in. Now I get to visit them more often, plus Dallas=Don.lol. Third, as many of you know, the Don Henley concerts are coming up in a few weeks. I look forward to going to those with Lou!!! It's going to be so much fun. It's going to be a long while before I can come off the high of excitement that i've got going on right now.