PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening in Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Prettymaid
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Peek, I'm thinking of you and your mom right now.

sodascouts
08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Peek, as you know you and your mom have my prayers.

GOS, good luck at school.

Of course it's a given that Dillon will do well over at IU, eh, TBF? ;)

Glennsallnighter
08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Peek, I too will keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers. TBF best wishes to Dillon as he enters a new phase. I'm sure he will have a wonderful time and do you proud.

Our schools begin the week after next which means I'll be back to work then..........

......though I mightn't. There's a very real chance the schools will be told to remain closed until the swine flu vaccine comes onto the market and everyone's vaccinated. So it COULD be October.

Troubadour
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Aw, great photos, Rhonda!

Jess, I'll be thinking of your mum tomorrow. She'll be just fine :hug:

TimothyBFan
08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Jess's Mom is in my thoughts and prayers today for her surgery!

Stars--thinking of you also and prayers to your friend's family on this very very sad day for them.

Stars
08-13-2009, 08:17 AM
TBF, thanks for your thoughts and prayers today. I am still in a state of shock about losing Suzi, but I think once I get to the funeral, it will all become a reality. I am working this morning, and then getting some time off to attend the funeral this afternoon.
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers for her family and friends.
Many thanks.

TimothyBFan
08-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd appreciate it if everyone would include a few people in your prayers. I have had several bad phone calls today.

First one came when my nephew called to tell me this morning, that his 4 year old son, Ayden, who had his tonsillectomy on Tuesday, was throwing up blood and he was taking him to the emergency room. He called a couple hours ago, and they have admitted him to figure out what is going on. Last night he wanted to go get pizza and take it to Great Grandmas and now this. Poor little dude!!

Our friend Brandon is not handling the chemo as well as expected. It's really bringing him down. Which is extremely sad because up till last week when he started it, you would of never known he was ill. Now it's obvious something is the matter. Not so physically sick but worn out and almost paralyzed from it.

And last. I think I've mentioned our elderly 90 year old neighbor Millie who is just another family member to all of us, was just put back into the hospital this afternoon with her heart again. She had just been released from the hospital on Monday after spending the week there for a respiratory infection. But yet last night, when Larry went over to check on her, she was leaning by the dryer by the back door, smoking a cigarette like she always does. She's a tough old woman and I've always said I wanted to be like her when I grew up. :hilarious: Larry and I were talking about it last night and he said that when she does go (probably decades from now!) he is gathering up every pack of her cigarettes in the house he can find and dumping them into her coffin so she can have them in her afterlife! Most of the family wont buy her her cigs because they want her to stop so she always calls us to do it because I was with her at a drs appointment one time when the doctor actually told her, if she quit now, it would probably kill her. I truly believe it would. I mean she's been smoking for over 70 years and it hasn't killed her yet. It's the one pleasure she still gets in life.

Prettymaid
08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
No wonder you seem down today Willie.

I'm sure your nephew's son will be fine, poor little guy!

I've been thinking of Brandon since you first mentioned his cancer. I hope the chemo does it's job and he feels stronger soon.

Millie sounds like a tough old gal! She's lucky to have you and Larry as friends and neighbors. She sounds like my kind of lady!

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I wondered why you were down too, Willie, but this is the first chance I've had to visit this thread and discovery the reason. I know it sounds trite and it's oft-repeated, but they will all be in my prayers.

MikeA
08-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Okay, Amanda wanted to keep this quite, but I think that is only to "our" family.

She's going to have another baby! I don't know why. I mean, I do know why. I do understand the mechanism! But She and Phil couldn't possibly do any better than they did with Miles!

It's a risky thing though. I'll try to spell it (Help Ticky!) "Preclampsia". She and Miles were both in a lot of danger during that pregnancy. She had a doctor's apt today...her first and she's about 5 weeks along. They just want to start monitoring her blood pressure and took her off of some meds she's been taking.

She's scared (or is it scarred..."frightened"...I never get those doubles right) but happy too. So are we.

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Well Mike, Congratulations to Amanda and the family. I'm sure she will be fine, and the fact that she had the Pre Ecampsia before means the medical people will monitor her more closely and watch for any BP rise. Its quite probable there will be NO cause for concern this time. They may let her deliver early. But keep us posted.

Willie :hug: I hope Brandon can recover some of his strength and cope with the Chemotherapy and that it works for him. I also hope that Ayden is fine. he deserves a BIG pizza when he is discharged.
And good for Millie! I don't think the occasional ciggie is going to cause her problems at this stage of her life.

Peek, I hope the news is good and that your moms recovering well.

Prettymaid
08-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Congratulations Grandpa Mike! (And I'm glad you still understand the mechanism!) ;)

TimothyBFan
08-14-2009, 07:58 AM
A Great big CONGRATS from me Mike!! How wonderful for everyone, especially Miles who will be a great big brother. I truly hope everything goes ok this time around. I'm sure the doctors will be watching closely for any early signs of trouble. Keep us all posted!!

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes for my loved ones. Believe it or not, got one more phone call last night from sis in law--seems Larry's brother was taken to the hospital for kidney stones yesterday afternoon and had to have them blasted. Is resting comfortably now tho. 4 loved ones all put into the hospital on the same day! Geez!!! Larry and I didn't know which way to turn last night. Heard from my nephew already this morning and Ayden seems to be feeling better this morning. Test all came back and looks like he has an infection in his throat from the tonsillectomy. Poor guy!

Anyways, thanks again everyone!

Molly
08-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Willie, hang in there! That old saying about when it rains it pours is sometimes so true.

Mike, congratulations! I had mild pre-eclampsia with my oldest son for the last few weeks of the pregnancy. A lot of bed rest and extra doctor's appointments to monitor my health and the baby's -but obviously, it all turned out just fine.

I had no problems with it with my youngest son. But, as GA said, they just paid extra close attention to it throughout and I was absolutely fine.

Now Amanda knows what to watch for, too so that helps.

Stars
08-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Willie, my prayers and thoughts are with all your loved ones. It is so true that when it rains, it pours.
Mike, many congrats! It did my heart good to read your good news.
The funeral service for my friend Suzi yesterday was unbelievable. There were so many people there, we were spilling out into the hallways. A true testament to how well she was loved. May she rest in peace.

Brooke
08-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Today our little town of about 200 had it's second annual Fun Fest. The community center sponsored a parade through town and a free barbecue at the school. It was a huge success! (Everybody comes when you mention it's free!) :yay:

There were dressed up pets, church floats, decorated tractors old and new, bicycles, motorcycles, wagons, four wheelers, huge fertilizer trucks, state highway trucks, school sports teams, a pedal power tractor pull, ambulance, fire trucks, police, you name it, we had it! If my pics turn out I'll post a couple.

It was really nice that even in 90 degree heat with very little shade, our small community could come together and have a little fun and recreation together. :)

EagleLady
08-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Awww that sounds fun Brooke Hope your pics turn out

Prettymaid
08-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a fun time to me Brooke. The barbeque was free???!!! Yum!

Hubby is putting the finishing touches on our new deck. Now it's my turn to furnish it. Sure, patio furniture is on clearance now but all the good stuff is gone! May have to wait until next year to furnish it.

Koala
08-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Brooke, thatīs sounds you had fun!:partytime:

glenneaglesfan
08-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Brooke, sounds like a great day! look forward to seeing some pics.

Mike, congratulations to your daughter and I hope all goes well this time. Pre eclampsia is often worse in the first pregnancy, so fingers crossed.

TBF, sorry to hear about your bad times, but glad little Ayden is on the mend. I'll be thinking of Brandon and his chemo.

Stars, so sorry about your friend. I hope in due course you cen remember the happy times.

Good luck to all of you either going to college or with kids going. My sons will be starting back next month.

Ticky, your pics are lovely. It's no wonder you don't want to leave!

sodascouts
08-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Congrats, Mike!

Brooke, I wish I could go to a gathering like that - sounds fun!

Glennsallnighter
08-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Yeah, me too! Sounds like you all had a great time.

Peekaboo
08-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Stars, I'm glad to know that everything went well with your friends funeral. It's great to know that there were so many of her loved ones there to celebrate her life.

Mike, a big CONGRATS!!! Babies on the way are always such a joy to look forward to. I'm sure everything is going to be just fine for her pregancy.

Willie, I'm so sorry to hear about your loved ones going to the hospital recently. You and yours are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive, girl. I have faith that everything will work out for the better.

GEF, it's nice to hear from you. Glad to see you checking in. :bye:

I'm very happy to report that my mom's surgery went very well on thursday. I must admit that it was the longest 3 hours and 15 minutes of my life but i'm glad to say that she is finally home recovering and catching up on some much needed rest. She still has some pain but she is so happy to finally be home. She almost didn't get to go home yesterday afternoon because she was running a fever the day before but her doc said that it went down enough for her to be able to go home. I have one more night of work then I will be off for four days to help her at home. Thankfully my dad and I were able to make our work schedules fit around her surgery and recovery time so that one or both of us could be there to help her. A big thanks to our bosses for giving us the time off to be with her. I'd also like to say a big thank you to all of you here for the kind thoughts and prayers for my mother. They are all very much appreciated.

sodascouts
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Wonderful to hear the surgery went well! Thanks for the update!

Koala
08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Great to hear the surgery went very well!

Prettymaid
08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Peek, glad to hear your mother is home and doing well.

MikeA
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
DITTO! Here's to a FAST recovery for you Mom Jess.

ticky
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Love to Mom, Jess.

Grandpa Mike *G* you're gonna have SO MUCH FUN!!! and I know Amanda will come through this like the trooper she is.

Sarah was kind enough to share her cold with all of us, so Im sniffling and I have the added pleasure of a toothache! BLEH! but it's canning season so Im a busy lil bee. I found a guy who runs a small produce stand a few miles from here who said he'd take my zucchini in trade so Ill take it to him. I may have tomatoes to trade as well in a few days. I'll keep the sauce tomatoes (make sauce of course) but my slicers are so packed full, the branches are starting to break. I'm bracing them as I go but the heat better come back ASAP so I can get them picked!
I finished the beans and the peaches, but Ill be getting Gravenstein Apples and Pears and Italian plums soon as well as blueberries to freeze, so I'll be a very busy girl! The Raspberries are getting ready for a second picking as well, but they're easy. They freeze beautifully and I freeze them with the blueberries and it makes great pies and buckles later. We havent even discussed corn yet.. that's a big one. SO.. if im absent from the board a bit, I hope ya'll understand :) I still come by and read tho.. Im always lurking! :)

Brooke
08-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Jess, it's great to hear your Mom is home and doing well.

Here's a couple pics from our Fun Fest Parade on Saturday. I'm sure glad it was Saturday instead of today. It's pouring buckets outside right now!

Our Parade Marshall. He was so pleased!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/IMG_0026.jpg

Random shot:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/IMG_0029.jpg

Wildthyme
08-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm happy to hear your mom's surgery went well Jess. I wish a speedy recovery for her.

Stars
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Peek, thanks for your kind words about my friend's funeral. It was really heartening to see all her friends there-some I hadn't seen for many many years.
Peek, I was happy to hear your mom came through her surgery well, and is home recovering. May she make a speedy recovery.
Brooke, I think I would love living in your kind of town-I love hometown parades like that!

Prettymaid
08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Ticky, I got tired just reading your post!

Brooke, thanks for the pictures. So glad your town came together in force!

Molly
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Jess-so glad to hear your mom is on the mend! Sounds like she'll be her old self before you know it!

Stars-there's nothing sadder than the funeral of someone who leaves too soon. I'm sure all of the support is a comfort to the family. It seems all anyone can do is let her loved ones know they're there if needed.

Brooke -Don'tcha just love being from a small town?

I always say, we have the exact same parade no matter what the holiday. Remove Uncle Sam, insert Tom Turkey, remove the turkey, insert Santa. It's still fun!

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Peek! I'm so glad your moms surgery went well and that she is on the road to recovery, Heres to a speedy one :thumbsup:

Brooke! Looks like you had a great time if the pics are anything to go by. We don't tend to have these kinds of festival over here. bar the large St Patricks Day parades in March

Ticky you are sure BBF! Hope you are feeling better soon.

We are just heading to Clifden in county Galway for our holidays. I love that place. One somg sums it up. Think 'River of Dreams' We'll be back about this time next week. Hope you all keep well till then and have a great week. :bye:

TimothyBFan
08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Peek--glad to hear Mom is on the mend and that the surgery went well.

Brooke-love the parade pic. Nothing like a small town parade. I've experienced many of them myself.

Ticky-I could really use some of whatever you are on! Geesh girl! You are an ambitious one! Actually I remember those days when I was little. My mom went crazy once everything started getting harvested. We would have little assembly lines, cleaning, canning, washing dishes etc. I hated it back then but sure did appreciate it in the middle of January when we were eating fresh corn or green beans! There is one incident that stands out above all others during canning season tho. I was outside snapping bushels of green beans when I heard a small blast and then my Mom scream from the kitchen. We all went running inside and saw the biggest mess you have ever seen dripping down Mom's beautiful yellow kitchen walls. Seems the preasure cooker exploded, breaking all the glass jars of BEETS! Beet juice everywhere, dripping off all the counters, walls and ceiling. All we could do is just stand there with our mouths open once Dad established that Mom was not hurt. We scrubbed everything down the best we could and when canning season was over, every thing had to be repainted. For anyone who might now know, beet juice stains like nothing else.

Molly
08-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Willie, I can't even imagine beets everywhere!

I think I'll just go to the Farmer's Market and get what I need for the week!

Stars
08-18-2009, 09:44 AM
GA, hope you have a wonderful holiday in County Galway-if it's like "River of Dreams", it should be an idyllic holiday!:thumbsup:

ticky
08-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Lisa, Have a wonderful time!! The River of Dreams *G* I know someplace a lot like that! It sounds lovely.

Willie, LOL I love that story!!! and that is EXACTLY why we dont can beets.. well that and I cant stand beets.
I have pictures of my great great Aunties canning. They'd take a wagon and horses and two of their brothers and go deep into the woods. They'd set up elaborate camps with tables filled with pots and jars and build big fire pits. The women would pick berries and wild vegies and can all day while the men hunted and they'd bring back deer and fish and the women would can that as well! Can you imagine trying to pressure can over an open fire??? Anyway, I think all this must be in my blood, because this time of year the smell of dill and a case of green beans sets my soul a fire! heheh
I've finished my beans and Im between things right now. Too early for corn, I dont have the apples or plums yet and I finished the peaches. Besides, we're getting ready for Jenni's going away to college and heading south to Cliff's family's house the day after that! Ill stick the pressure canner on the back burner till then *G* so to speak.

Koala
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
GA, hope you have a wonderful week!

tbs fanatic
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Finally getting some time to check out the board. I've got one guy back in school, another guy being a pain in the butt but also heading out the door soon and hubby finally recovered enough to start back with his students at the end of the week. The three of them have nearly driven me nuts over the summer but finally there is light at the end of the tunnel and I can recover with the help of The Border :yay:

MikeA
08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh my. Two Police Cars, One Firetruck and an Ambulance just pulled up to the house next door where an older couple live. The man is in bad shape with heart problems and cancer. This is not the first time he's been rushed to the Emergency Room but it is the first time that Police have shown up. They usually do not show up in cases like this unless there is a death...whether of natural causes or from violence. I fear the worst right now. None of the Police, EMS or Firemen are outside where I can offer any help in support of them. I just hope that the "officers" stay with her until some of her family can get here.

UPDATE

Two more EMS/County vehicles pulled up at the house. But the ambulance left with red lights and sirens so maybe it is not the worst. I left my name with one of the EMS people and she said she'd give it to the lady and would call if they needed someone to stay with her until family arrives. I don't know how far away they live.

I gotta tell you, this has me pretty shook up.

Brooke
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Ga, have a wonderful time!

TBF, welcome back!

Mike, I hope everyone is ok.

MikeA
08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Still don't know anything Brooke. Another EMS SUV arrived just before the ambulance left. It shut the sirens down as soon as it made it through the intersection from our street to the main road. It wasn't too long after that that all of the EMS vehicles and Police and Firetruck left...except for one EMS vehicle. They wouldn't have stayed there unless the lady of the house was there and she wouldn't have been there if they were going to the hospital. It wasn't long after everyone except the EMS vehicle left that a civilian vehicle pulled into the driveway. I presume that was "family". There are no vehicles at the house now.

I have a really bad feeling about this. They are such good neighbors and nice people. Before they bought the house, Verna and I took care of the yard for the real estate company that was carrying the listing when they bought it. The man's name is Mike and we talked quite a bit. He used to be a biker and I at the time, was riding a lot.

sodascouts
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Sounds scary, Mike. I hope they can help your neighbor make a full recovery from whatever happened.

MikeA
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Sounds scary, Mike. I hope they can help your neighbor make a full recovery from whatever happened.

It is scary Nancy. I saw several vehicles parked in the driveway and out on the street late this afternoon. I've a strong feeling that all is not well. He was a very sick man and well up in years.

TimothyBFan
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Doesn't sound good does it Mike? I hope everything turns out ok. If something happens to him, is she able to live there by herself?

Got another phone call yesterday after noon and my nephew was taking Ayden back to the hospital. He started bleeding again yesterday morning and they took him to the doctor and his hemoglobin had dropped to 8 so they thought there was an artery opening and closing and causing the bleeding. It was exactly a week ago yesterday that he had his tonsilectomy. Last night they decided to do another surgery around 8:30. More stitches and they are hoping they got the bleeder but as of this morning the hemoglobin had dropped slightly again. If it starts going up they know they've got it but if it drops anymore they don't think they do. Poor little guy. He is so upset that he is back in there again. If you've ever lived with a kid that has had the tonsils out, it's not pretty anyways but then 2 surgeries in a week! I don't care what they say--tonsils are not an easy operation like they lead you to believe.

As for Millie, I don't remember if I told you all she got out a week ago Monday only to be put back in on Thursday. We got her home again yesterday. Says she's feeling better but that's what she said last week. I fear it won't be much longer and they wont let her stay in her home alone. Yeah, 90 and still lives by herself! I wish you all could meet her--she is amazing!

Keep us updated Mike. I hate hearing things like that about elderly people. It just doesn't seem fair somehow.

MikeA
08-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I still don't know anything more Willie. But "yes" the lady will be fine. Saturday, I was talking with her. She was weed-whacking their ditch <LOL> I'd guess both of them at around 75. She does all the mowing...both push mower and rider. And, she handles that gas weed-whacker like a pro. She is constantly tending her flower beds. And, she has been taking care of her pretty much bed-ridden husband for two years. I've seen him outside only once or twice all year.

I think she'll be fine. And they do have quite a bit of family living relatively close.

Molly
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Goodness, Willie! I hope they've gotten a handle on Ayden's bleeding. Poor guy. There isn't enough ice cream and popsicles in the world to make up for what he's going thru.

Mike-glad to hear your neighborhood is back to normal today. It's nice that you worry about your neighbors so. I think we could be cold and dead and stiff in our house for 2 weeks before any of our neighbors would even notice.

We live in the kind of neighborhood where people really keep to themselves or are just kind of unfriendly. I hate it. We came from a neighborhood where everyone liked each other and looked after one another.

sodascouts
08-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Ack, Willie, hope all these hospital visits end soon! And hope your neighbor comes home soon, Mike.

Molly - it's the same way around here. The laundry room is right next to my apartment. One day I was turning the key in the lock to my door when a guy passed on his way to the laundry room. He says, "Oh, you live there? I'm glad that apartment finally has a resident! I've been here for six years and it's been empty!" He motions towards the apartment down the hall from mine.

Me: Um.... I've lived here for five years.

Him: Oh... well, you're very quiet.... never heard a peep from that apartment so I thought...

Sad!

MikeA
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Well folks, I just confirmed it. My neighbor "Mike" didn't make it. His wife found him in the bathroom. She knew he'd gone in there to take a shower and must have hemoraged. He was gone when she found him but EMS had her doing CPR on him until the Police and other emergency crews arrived.

She saw Verna and I walking down toward the lake close to our house and came running out of the house to let us know what had happened. The EMS people had told her that we'd given them our names and told them we were available for anything that might be needed...then or whenever.

She is taking it really well. I mean, Mike had survived lung cancer for five years longer than the Doctors had told him he had. She's a trouper. Frisky 70-something. She knows that I work from home and am here all the time and can call on me for anything. Her son was with her. I think they all were dealing with it well. Lung Cancer is a horrible way to go. I know. My father lost his battle with it after 10 years fighting it.

sodascouts
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm so very sorry, Mike. Looks like your instincts were right. I'm glad you and your wife could be there for your neighbor and her family.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Mike-sad news. I'm sure the family is thankful to have caring neighbors like you and Verna.

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Mike, so sorry to hear about your neighbor's death.

Soda, that's a sad, yet funny story. Sounds like you need to make some noise! Step one: Go from this :computer: :soda:

To this: :band::headbang:

:hilarious:

MikeA
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM
I guess it's not quite so common to "be neighborly" in the city. But there is nothing unusual about it out in the suburbs. North of us and South of us, the people living there are relatively young with young kids. The neighbors to the East and West of us are (or were) older couples up in the 70's or 80's even.

The older gentleman and lady living immediately to our West is one with whom I worked for almost 18 years at a Bank in Wichita! Funny. I was playing Blackjack at a casino in Horton, Kansas (180 miles north of where we live). I played for a couple of hours sitting next to a man and his wife and as the banter continued, I found out that John and Marsha (my neighbors) are his brother and sister-in-law!

We all get along together pretty good...even the neighbor to our north whose two dogs chawed on our cat one night.

Molly
08-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your neighbor, Mike. His wife is probably glad for him that his days of being sick are over. I know that's how I felt after seeing my dad suffer for years and years. You're sad, of course, but still it's kind of a relief.

I have a co-worker at the hospital who will be turning 65 in October and supposed to be retiring. He's such a character and so friendly. Kind of my own personal maintenence man-I never had to fill out a work order -just find him and ask him for help. He calls everyone "Kiddo". Stop him on any given day and ask him how long until retirement and he can tell you down to the hour how much longer he had to work. :hilarious:

A couple of weeks ago, he was diagnoses with lung cancer that has already spread to his brain. Never smoked. He'll probably never come back to work. :sad:

It's really impacted all of us a great deal at work. Everyone knows him and loves him. It certainly has me thinking about all the time I spend working and doing things because I feel like I have to. Not enough time doing things I want to.

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Molly , so sorry about your coworker. And I know what you mean about thinking about what you want out of life. It seems all backwards, doesn't it? When I reached fifty it's like an internal light flicked on and all of a sudden I know I'm not invincable and I want to cram as much as I can into a day. Why can't we feel like that when we're younger and have more energy?

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
What a sad story, Molly.

Doesn't matter how old you are - you could die tomorrow. Sobering thought and one we should all keep in mind when we say, "Eh, I'll do that later."

tbs fanatic
08-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Molly , so sorry about your coworker. And I know what you mean about thinking about what you want out of life. It seems all backwards, doesn't it? When I reached fifty it's like an internal light flicked on and all of a sudden I know I'm not invincable and I want to cram as much as I can into a day. Why can't we feel like that when we're younger and have more energy?

I had the same reaction when I reached 50. Actually, I was really surprised how much hitting 50 affected me. I didn't think anything of it until I got there and then it was like WHAM! I was standing there thinking 'Geez, you had better get your butt in gear lady you're FIFTY.' LOL It was an eye opener.

MikeA
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Man, when I hit 50, I thought "Wow! I made it!" When I hit 60, I was literally jumping for joy....well, I was at least trying to jump. I'm so looking forward to 70.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Molly so sorry about your coworker. Seems so unfair doesn't it? My father was the same way, within a year of retiring he was diagnosed with colon cancer. Survived that one and 6 years later the stomach cancer took him, but he was never the same after the first cancer and never ever traveled or did anything him and Mom had planned for retirement.

And all of you are scaring me about this talk of turning 50, 60 & 70. I've got a few years yet but I'm already not looking forward to it. Since I turned 30, I've had a hard time with every birthday. I don't like the fact I'm getting older, even tho I've never felt my age (or act or dress it....). The people around me have pretty much learned to ignore them as they come because of my attitude to them. Works for me!

Koala
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Molly , so sorry about your co-worker.
Mike, so sorry to hear about your neighbor.

MikeA
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
A couple of weeks ago, he was diagnoses with lung cancer that has already spread to his brain. Never smoked. He'll probably never come back to work. :sad:

That would be the pits Molly. Work all your life holding out for retirement at which time you anticipate doing only those things you want to do. And then have that kind of medical condition hit you right before your dreams become realities leaving you unable to enjoy it like you'd planned.

ticky
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I guess I had my revelation early, when I turned about 40. I had a Pulmonary Embolism, which I lived through some how (most of ya'll know this stuff) but I guess it was my first view into the fact that my body wasnt indestructable and I was somewhat fragile. I kind of freaked out. Every little thing scared the bajeebers out of me (meaning things like leg cramps and heart palpitations and such.) My poor doctor was overwhelmed with calls from me about EVERYTHING. I've mellowed somewhat since then, but I still freak out if I hurt myself. I always figure this could be it! I do have arthritis in my knees and hips and back and feet (LOL Im falling apart) so Im always afraid some little pissy thing is going to put me in one of those little carts you see at the grocery store permanently. I'm very careful about doing stuff and a lot of the time I feel like I AM 80 years old, but I can do anything I want, just a little slower then other people. So what's this all mean?

When I rush the stage at the concert, I'm bringing a step ladder.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh Ticky---:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: What would we do without you? You just crack me up! I wonder how security will feel when they see you coming in with a step ladder---or do you plan on hiding it in a tampon box? :hilarious:

ticky
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Willie, I use petite sized tampons.. the ladder just ISNT going to fit!! *G* I'll bring my big handbag tho..:hilarious:

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I had the same reaction when I reached 50. Actually, I was really surprised how much hitting 50 affected me. I didn't think anything of it until I got there and then it was like WHAM! I was standing there thinking 'Geez, you had better get your butt in gear lady you're FIFTY.' LOL It was an eye opener.

Yes, that's exactly how it was for me! Birthdays don't bother me - it was this sense of "Gee, there is an end to all of this - even for me". It's just in the back of my head more now than it was before. But Soda's right - it could happen anytime.

And Ticky, what I've learned from you is... When we rush the stage I'm getting to Joe first! :nahnah: :yay: :hilarious:

ticky
08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
hehehe did I mention my lasso skills? YEEEHAW! lasso's roped and hawg tyed before ya'll know it!! hehehehe

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Did I mention my Houdini skills? Can get myself out of anything you throw my way! This is getting ugly!

Brooke
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
:hilarious: You girls!

Mike, I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Molly, sorry about your co-worker. Bummer.

MikeA
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I can't get that image out of my head:

Ticky standing in line at the gates with a step ladder!

They'd prolly let her through. Couldn't take a picture with it and it isn't a suitable weapon! Heck, I'd let her through! But NOT with a tampon box, I don't care HOW small it is!

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 04:00 PM
You guys are cracking me up!!

Did I mention my Houdini skills? Can get myself out of anything you throw my way! This is getting ugly!

I don't think it was you she was meaning to lasso and hog tie PM....

ticky
08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
hehehe thank you Soda..

Love ya PM, but there is a limit...

Now a little Joe ala Lasso is MY kind of dish!!!

Peekaboo
08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
:hilarious: You guys are hilarious!!! That's one of the many reasons why i love this board...I can always count on a good laugh.

Mike, I'm very sorry to hear about your neighbor. My sympathies go out to his loved ones.

Molly, I hope for the best for your coworker. My prayers go to him and his family.

It's been one week since my mom's surgery. She's been doing pretty good at home. She's still having some pain but she's been keeping it under control. At the the worst, she says the pain feels like a hot curling iron in her lower abdomen. After experiencing that pain a few times already since she's been home, she tries to take her pain meds before it gets too bad. Yesterday, her and I went for a drive just to get out of the house. Mom said she was tired (and bored) of being cooped up in the house and just lying around so she wanted to get out for a while. I drove her wherever she wanted to go yesterday. We made a few stops and walked around for a bit but we didn't want to push it too much so we didn't stay out for too long. Thankfully, all has been going very well with her recovery. I'll be here with her till saturday afternoon. It's back to work on saturday night for me.

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
You guys are cracking me up!!

I don't think it was you she was meaning to lasso and hog tie PM....

Oh-h-h-h-h...in that case, did I mention my kidnapping skills...

ticky
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
And did I mention my get away car driving skills or my hideout providing skills? (Im getting an idea here.... something seems to be coming together in my brain... hmm..)

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I guess we could team up...there's more power in numbers... but I get to have him in the back seat first! :makeout:
There are no smileys for what I want to do to him next!

ticky
08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
And I dont think Soda is going to ADD a smiley for THAT...

well.. okay.. I did just get new vinyl seat covers and I'll take sloppy seconds.. Im not picky

By the way Mike, Im sending you that Gib LP standard special in a GIANT TAMPON BOX... oh the dilemma!! what to do what to do.... :hilarious:

timfan
08-20-2009, 08:26 PM
We just had a rather scary occurance this evening.

A horrendous weather system moved through Ontario and at least 3 tornados have been spotted. Luckily for us when it came thru our area it was just (!) very high winds and VERY heavy rain along with severe thunder and lightning. It lasted less than an hour but it sure was scary! I have NEVER seen anything like it before!

Our house has minor damage to the roof (won't know the extent til tommorow when the roofer assesses it) with a small amount of interior water damage from the leaky roof. But we sure faired better than our neighbours who had their basement flooded for the second time in less than a month!

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Wow, more Strange Weather!

I'm glad you and your family escaped with major damage.

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow, more Strange Weather!

I'm glad you and your family escaped with major damage.

Soda, what did I tell you about getting enough sleep... :hilarious:

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh man. :blush: Well you knew what I meant! lol

TimothyBFan
08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I can see the making of a new Ticky story that will be posted here soon from the contents of the last couple of pages. Starring Mr Walsh being hog tied and held captive by a couple of blond chicks that take turns having their way with him. He doesn't show up for a gig so the other Eagles set out to find him and rescue him from his captors, etc etc etc....

Ticky take it from there....

MikeA
08-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Our house has minor damage to the roof (won't know the extent til tommorow when the roofer assesses it) with a small amount of interior water damage from the leaky roof.

Do NOT be surprised if your roof ends up being "totaled" by the insurance adjusters. We had far less impact from that hail storm a month or so ago and ours was totaled. There can be damage to shingles that you can't see especially from the ground. And with "water damage" it could be that the sheeting underneath was also damaged.

I am extremely glad that you yourselves were not "damaged"! Roofs can be fixed!

glenneaglesfan
08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Timfan, sorry to hear about that awful storm and the damage, but glad that you are ok.

Mike, it's sad to hear about your neighbour. I'm glad for his widow that she has you and your wife around.

Molly, that's very sad about your friend. It just shows that we never know what's around the corner.

Ticky, I know what you mean about health scares. With everything else that went on last year, when they found my blood pressure was so high (210/120), I freaked and convinced myself I was going to die imminently. It wasn't until I had the treadmill test which showed normal that I began to relax and take exercise again. Now I am beating hubby at tennis every week and we are planning a long distance walk next year. It sounds as if you have more energy than all the rest of us with your fruit canning!!

Peek, so glad to hear that your mother's surgery went well. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Lisa, hope the weather in Clifden is nice and you enjoy your River of Dreams!

ticky
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Taking my baby to college today. It's only 30 minutes away, but it's going to be hard.:sad:
On the brighter side, I CANT WAIT TO GET MY BATHROOM BACK!!! YAY!!:partytime:

ticky
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Okay, dropped my Jenni off at school. Her room, roommate, dorm and school look terrific! Pretty posh living compared to what I remember, but hey! it's a new age. I guess I would have been teary IF on the way there she hadnt mentioned how she and her friend who lives about a mile from here, have a date to go to the movies next weekend.. guess she'll be home... and when we left today she hadn't said "When you come back tomorrow, bring hangers and an extra pillow case."

MY BABY'S GONE! MOVED OUT INTO A BRAVE NEW WORLD... kind of.. *G*

NOW.. to reclaim that bathroom...

AzEaglesFan
08-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Well my husband and I had our 15 seconds of fame. Senator John McCann, yep the one that ran for president, along with Interior Secretary Ken Salazar visited out small little town this morning for what they called a Town Hall Meeting. After the meeting we stayed in the bleachers until the crowd cleared out and for some reason Channel 3 from Phoenix filmed us sitting there. So we were on the 5:00 news. I hate having my picture taken, I always look like the bride of Frankenstein but my husband looks great, it's just not fair.

Prettymaid
08-22-2009, 09:30 AM
TF, that sounds scary! I hope everything's okay except for the roof.

Ticky, not having children, I can't say I know what you're going through, but I can hear the sadness in your posts. Fortunately for you, there are people here that are going through the exact same feelings. Use your Borderer friends to get past the initial empty nest shock. Seems like there's already a thread started somewhere here...

AZ, pretty exciting stuff! Did you get to talk to the senator?

sodascouts
08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think there's a thread about it, PM, but there should be! Ticky, you're indeed not the only one - although I certainly can't speak from experience.

Very cool, AEF! You are now our Town Hall Representative!

timfan
08-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Well the roofer's were here today and we got good news!

It is the flashing (metal pieces that run along the edge of the roof) that was damaged ( it was bent by the harsh weather). So they replaced the flashing and the eaves going from that particular flashing. The damage inside the house looks to be mininal. One wall may need slight repair but it could have been MUCH worse!

sodascouts
08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Good to hear it!

AzEaglesFan
08-23-2009, 02:10 AM
No didn't get to talk to him, was very surprised how he showed up in levis and a ball cap, he seemed very relaxed and friendly. His son that is in the military was with him and he introduced him like any proud Dad would do. Very good looking young man and his son stood among the crowd and no one have known who he was if Dad hadn't pointed him out. I only saw one Secret Service man (yep, he was dressed all in black) but my husband told me that he was sure that there were more with 3 high profile people there.

EasyFeeling
08-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey you... just wanted to let you know I have to deal with some health problems currently. I probably had a TIA a few weeks ago, although the doctors are not sure about it. I have to go through some tests now like ultrasonic of arteries and heart valves. MRI of my brain turned out without any result, it seems ok. Although I have to take meds for blood clutting, just in case.

I felt not well the last weeks, I had panic attacks which is a pain in the neck :-x I think I'm just scrared they could find anything serious.

Prettymaid
08-23-2009, 12:51 PM
TF, good to hear that the damage was minimal.

EF, take care of yourself!

sodascouts
08-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Oh my gosh, this is so strange, Michaela. I had a dream last night that I visited Germany with my family on vacation and called you to meet you. We were to meet for dinner. Then, I woke up before we did! But here you are today, visiting....

I know this is very scary, but I have a feeling you will be alright. Please keep us updated.

Brooke
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Michaela, sorry to ask, but what is a TIA? :brickwall:

Anyway, good luck and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

sodascouts
08-23-2009, 05:55 PM
It's a Transient Ischemic Attack (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781). Pretty terrifying but it sounds like the doctors aren't even sure that was one. But I can only imagine how Michaela feels - no wonder she is so scared that something will happen.

You're in my prayers, Michaela!

Koala
08-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Good luck, I hope you will recover quickly, Michaela

Peekaboo
08-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Michaela, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I'm praying for a clean bill of health for you. Best of luck on your health tests coming up. Keep us posted.

TimothyBFan
08-24-2009, 07:26 AM
EF--Take care of yourself and stay positive!

Peek--Glad to hear your Mom is doing better.

Reality is starting to hit me upside the head now. We packed a bunch of Dillon's stuff in the SUV for the trip to move him into his dorm on Wednesday. Not looking forward to it but ready to get it over with.

Molly
08-24-2009, 12:23 PM
EF--Take care of yourself and stay positive!

Peek--Glad to hear your Mom is doing better.

Reality is starting to hit me upside the head now. We packed a bunch of Dillon's stuff in the SUV for the trip to move him into his dorm on Wednesday. Not looking forward to it but ready to get it over with.

Willie-I know it's hard now. I've been thru it with my own boys. But, let me say there is one thing even worse than when they leave. Stephen King said it best...SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK!!!! :fear:

ticky
08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Awe Willie :hug: I know how you feel. It's been a strange weekend, not having my girl here, but I keep getting text messages from her. ALSO, her computer has a built in web cam so I thought I might get myself one as well. Sarah has an occasional melt down and misses Jen like crazy. This way, she can video conference with Jenni before bed. Makes her separation a little easier.

Brooke
08-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Awwwww, hang in there ladies.

As Molly said, they'll be back! If for nothing else, money! :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
What a sad story, Molly.

Doesn't matter how old you are - you could die tomorrow. Sobering thought and one we should all keep in mind when we say, "Eh, I'll do that later."

So true at all levels. Well we had a lovely holiday in Clifden and the west of Ireland. I revisited all my old haunts and wondered for the umpteenth time why I ever left that town in the first place... (men :roll:)

However our return was marred completely today. When I was heading out to the shops with the kids to do a stock up shop we noticed that the road had been blocked off by the police - usual when an accident occurs. When it was still blocked off on our return 2 hours later we realised it was serious.By teatime awful newa had filtered through. Basically, an 11 year old girl living just down our road ran out onto the main road after her dog early this afternoon, got hit by a speeding car and was killed instantly. She is the first person on our road to pass away and the circumstances have left the whole road in a state of shock. I know everyone will be thinking of her parents and her 3 brothers tonight.

sodascouts
08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
What a horrible tragedy - so young. How awful. I'm so sorry to hear it.

Prettymaid
08-25-2009, 10:05 PM
How sad!

eaglesvet
08-25-2009, 11:59 PM
That is terrible. Imagine how fast that car must have been going, not to have slowed when they saw the dog so that they could have stopped in time for the girl.

Koala
08-26-2009, 01:19 AM
How sad, I'm sorry to hear it.

Peekaboo
08-26-2009, 05:50 AM
GA, I'm so very sorry to hear about that. It's so awful when a tragedy like that happens, especially when it involves a child.

I just got home from work and i'm so happy to have the next five days off. I've got lots to look forward to. This weekend is one of my tribes' annual powwow and i'm so excited about it because it means that I get to see most my of family. We'll be going to the powwow in the evenings and during the day we'll be doing some swimming, barbecueing, and a birthday party for one of my younger cousins. It's not exactly a family reunion but it may as well be since a great deal of my mom's side of the family will be there. I won't get to partake in the festivities on friday night because I'll have to drive to Oklahoma City for the Jackson Browne concert. I can't wait!!! I've been looking forward to this for months. It's gonna be a wonderful weekend. :thumbsup: :partytime:

Prettymaid
08-26-2009, 07:35 AM
That sounds wonderful Jess. I know how much your family means to you and I'm glad you'll get to see most of them. And then of course there's the JB concert! Have a great time and be safe!

MikeA
08-26-2009, 08:06 AM
GAL: So sorry to hear that. Tragic!

JESS: Have a blast! Hoping all this rain that looks to be looming on us north of us stays up here and NOT down on your hoopla! We're beginning to gear up for Vegas on Sept 6.

Koala
08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Peek, that sounds great. Hope you have a wonderful time! :)

Brooke
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Ga, what a terrible tragedy. I'm so sorry.

Peek-have fun! Can't wait to hear all about JB, too!

sodascouts
08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Peek - enjoy your family day and enjoy your Jackson night! ;)

ticky
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Lisa :hug: Welcome back! we missed you! So sorry about the little girl, what a horrible tragedy, My thoughts are with her people and everyone on your street.

Jess, YAY! for JB!!! have a great time! Im soooo jealous!! And the powwow sounds like a blast!! Have fun!!

sodascouts
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, I just spent over an hour in line for a free burrito at Chipotle. The line seriously wrapped around the block. But hey, it's free!

Saw three of former students in line too. It was like old home week. ;)

And this burrito sure tastes GOOD after that!

Troubadour
08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Enjoy it, Soda ;)

Lisa - as I said last night, it's just beyond comprehension what that poor family must be going through. My thoughts are with them, and you. I'm sure you're still feeling pretty shaken up.

Jess - you have a great weekend ahead of you! Have fun with your family, and let us know all about the JB concert. You will love it!

eaglesvet
08-27-2009, 12:11 AM
I had some sad news earlier this week. My closest friend in town, Suzanne, very suddenly decided that her family needed to move back to her hometown of Seattle. (Could she be from any further?) Her decision literally came up within the span of a few days, sparked by the realization that her teenage daughter would be better off starting off in a new high school at the beginning of a school year, rather than in the middle. Suzanne's husband, who was a hard-working, high-powered lawyer in Manhattan, lost his job about 9 months ago...and just has not been able to find another position. So, their move was pretty much prompted by the fact that they can no longer afford to live in this house in suburban NJ, where they have raised their kids for the last several years. I will really miss her...not only are her kids very close in age to each of mine, but her dog and mine are great friends... so we would get together 3 to 4 days a week and have a 'puppy-play date.' Basically, the two dogs would romp and play in the yard for half an hour while the two of us would hang outside, coffee cups in hand, chatting about the kids and the school activities and whatever else was going on in town. Now what are Shea and I supposed to do for enrichment:?:

On a much happier note, my family is getting ready (finally) for our vacation--we leave this Sunday for 11 days in the Wild West! Up until now, my kids have not been west of Pennsylvania! :hilarious: In the past, we've managed to vacation all up and down the East coast, from Maine to Florida...but they need to broaden their horizons! So, we are flying to Denver, and renting a car to tour some cool National Parks. The main points we're hitting are Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone...none of which I have seen before either (although I have been out West a couple of times, more than 15 yrs ago!) Obviously, we'll be doing quite a bit of driving...something like 7 states once all is said and done (even if it's just passing through...) Hubby has actually done the planning, but I think it's Colorado, Nebraska, SD, ND, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Whew!

Prettymaid
08-27-2009, 07:40 AM
EV, sorry to hear about your friend's move. It sounds like you are really losing a big part of your life. This economy has got to start getting better!

Your trip sounds intriguing, if not a little tiring! But you will see lots and have some good memories. Have a great time a stay safe!

Stars
08-27-2009, 08:28 AM
GA, I was so sad to hear about the little girl on your street. My prayers and thoughts are with her family at this time.
EV, sorry to hear that your friend is moving away-thank God for e-mail, IM, etc!
Hope you and the fam have a wonderful time on your trip-you will see some great beauty out west, that's for sure!:thumbsup:
Peek, have a great time seeing JB-he puts on a fantastic show-you will love him!:heart:

MikeA
08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
EVA,

The loss of the proximity of your friend it tragic. A really rough break! But as someone else mentioned, eMail, IM and Nationwide Cell phones will certainly lessen the blow. Won't help Shea that much unfortunately. But necessity breeds reaction and there is so much of that going on now. So many people I've worked with for years have had their lives turned completely upside-down over the past couple of years. Just a bad situation for everyone.

On your vacation! WOW! What a Grand Tour! I love Colorado...to visit <LOL>. I've toured most of the popular and many of the not so popular parts of the Mountains in Colorado on both motorcycle rides and by car. It is nothing short of spectacular. The Grand Tetons too! I've even biked to Devil's Tower and also Mt Rushmore. While you are in South Dakota, I hope your route takes you on that highway that has the pigtail bridges on it! Freakiest thing I've seen. A Bridge that crosses itself! A corkscrew affair.

You will have an absolute blast on that trip. But, with all that driving, I hope your kids have a portable DVD player and a butt-load of MP3s to listen to <LOL> Have PHUN!

Koala
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
EV, sorry to hear about it, it's always sad when a close friend move away.
Enjoy your family vacation, it sounds great!

sodascouts
08-27-2009, 10:14 AM
It's always sad when friends move away, but even more so when you spend so much time with them! What a chance, and coming so suddenly, too. It's amazing that even a successful lawyer can't find a job!

Your vacation sounds fun. Bet you have a great time!

Peekaboo
08-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Eva, sorry to hear about your friend moving away. But at least you'll still be able to keep in touch. And as mentioned, thanks goodness for all of the new technology today. Have a blast on your trip. I've never done anything like that before. I hope someday that i'll get to take a big roadtrip like that.

With the exception of the lightening show and down pour of rain that we encountered last night, everything is so far so good. It's still a bit cloudy out this morning but hopefully it will clear up enough by this afternoon for us to have a pool party. The powwow starts tonight so that should be fun. I'm looking forward to it because it's been a while since i've been to one.

One more day till Jackson Browne. As far as I know the weather for tomorrow is supposed to be good. I'd rather be sitting outside in the hot sun than in rain. Either way, nothing is gonna keep me from missing JB.

glenneaglesfan
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
PB, fingers crossed for good weather for your big do, and have a blast at JB's concert tomorrow. We tried getting tickets when he was touring over here but they sold out very quickly.

Lisa, I'm so sad to hear about your neighbourhood tragedy. When the boys were at their primary school, one of their schoolmates died after falling out of a tree, and everyone in the village was shattered. I hope you will still be able to have some happy holiday memories from Clifden.

EV, sorry to hear about your friend's move, but as Mike and others have said, it won't seem so far with email etc. The trip sounds very exciting! Btw, where do you live in New Jersey? My aunt used to live in Chatham County and I still have five cousins scattered around the US. One day I'd love to travel and meet them and friends here.

Michaela, it's great to hear from you, even if it's sad to hear that you haven't been well. I'm relieved that the MRI was clear, but you must get a doppler (ultrasound) of your carotid arteries and an ECG. You may need to stay on those blood-thinning meds for life, but it will be worth it.

Willie, my younger son is soon going off to university and I know what you are going through. We have already had a taster while both boys were travelling, and although we missed them it was lovely to have no piles of clothes on the floor, no empty coffee mugs in the bedrooms and time to ourselves,

I've just come back from three days with my sister in our parents' house, starting to sort and shift stuff prior to selling up. As some of you know, my dad died in January, and Mum is now in a care home as she has dementia and was not managing on her own. We sorted out her bedroom, which was full of clothes, most of which had irrepairable stains or moth holes, straight to the skip, and stacks of music, some dating back to the 1920s, which we are hoping the local choir and orchestra might be interested in. Both Mum and Dad seemed reluctant to throw anything away. I'ne inherited that gene, so my sister had to keep me focussed!

Glennsallnighter
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks Kate for those kind words and indeed Soda, Troub, Stars, Peek, Mike, Rhonda and everybody who has sympathised with our community through this tragedy. She was brought home and waked last night and was brought to the church tonight for a Mass and funeral rite. We couldn't even get into the church, there were so many people there. She will be laid to rest in West Cork tomorrow after another Mass for her family and friends there. It has been a very sad week for us all here. I hope the family can strengthen and comfort each other in this terrible time.

Peek, have a wonderful time with your family Pow wow and also at JB. I hope the weather holds out for you. Also that your mom is continuing to do well.

Eva, I hope your vacation is wonderful and all you expect it to be. I'm sure too you and your friend will continue with the help of technology to keep in touch. Look at the way we all manage here. I'm sure its not a decision she wanted to make but is just trying to do the best she can for all her family. But I know you WILL miss her :hug:

Soda, glad you enjoyed your free Burrito. I remember queueing in 1984 for free kebebs at 'Abrekebabra' when they were doing a similar promotion.

Kate, I'm sure it must be difficult going over all the stuff your parents have accumulated over their years together. I'd say they certainly hold many memories of your family. Oh and I thought I was a hoarder.......until Laura came along!!

sodascouts
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I've just come back from three days with my sister in our parents' house, starting to sort and shift stuff prior to selling up. As some of you know, my dad died in January, and Mum is now in a care home as she has dementia and was not managing on her own. We sorted out her bedroom, which was full of clothes, most of which had irrepairable stains or moth holes, straight to the skip, and stacks of music, some dating back to the 1920s, which we are hoping the local choir and orchestra might be interested in. Both Mum and Dad seemed reluctant to throw anything away. I'ne inherited that gene, so my sister had to keep me focussed!

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you to throw away/give away so many things that belonged to your parents. I try not to think about what I will have to do when my parents' time comes. It sounds like you and your sister are being strong, though.

Brooke
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Ga, I'm so sorry about your neighbor. What a sad tragedy.

Ev, I'm sorry about your friend moving away, too. I have a couple of friends that have moved far away, but still get to see them during the Thanksgiving holidays every year because their Dad lives close by and they always come here for that, which is so nice. Maybe you will get to go out west and visit her once in a while, too. And your trip west sounds wonderful. I plan to do traveling like that once my hubby retires from his current job in a year or so.

Gef, great to hear from you, but that must have been a sad time for you and your sister. We went through that with my husband's family last winter. It's hard. But it also helps with memories.

We've had quite a ruckus going on around here the last day. There's been a manhunt going on with state police, county sheriff, canine units, police helicopter and such searching for a couple caught in the act of burglary at a home a few miles away. The homeowner came home and caught them. They took off with guns, money, and jewelry. The burglars got in their truck and sped away and the owner called 911 and chased after them. They eventually pulled in to a cornfield by my nephew's house and ran in to the corn. My niece pulled out of her garage and there were about 15 policemen in her front yard! She had no idea anyone was there! They searched all night thinking they had gotten away in to the next county. Everyone here in the community spent the night locked up tight! :fear: This is over about a 5 mile area in a farming community.

This morning a young wife about a mile from my nephew's stepped outside on the back porch and saw the couple go in to a shed. She called 911 while freaking out and the search was on again. They finally caught the man this afternoon. He was unarmed. They are still looking for the woman.

I found out this morning that the chase actually came down my gravel road. My neighbor saw them driving about 80 mph and couldn't figure out what in the world. It's a dead end road, so they weren't gone long and had to turn around (possibly in my driveway!) and come back to get out!

I can't imagine how this couple must look. It was hot and sultry yesterday and to be running through a cornfield all night and spend the night outside in a an old shed! What were they thinking? No use running-the police know who they are! :brickwall:

This is a very unusual thing to happen around here. People don't lock their houses, cars or much of anything! Everyone knows everyone. Desperate times!

Molly
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
It took me forever to get thru this page -Nancy, I kept getting distracted by your avatar. Whew! It it hot in here?

Brooke! Bonnie and Clyde in your own little neighborhood! Good grief! That had to be incredible.

Kate-I know it's tough to go thru all those items and the memories that are attached to them. Glad you have your sister with you so you don't have to do it alone.

Lisa-what a terrible tragedy. That family must be in such shock and grief. I can't even imagine.

Eva-sounds like you'll be planning some visits to Seattle. Where there's a will there's a way-it will take more than miles to separate you from your friend.

We've had a stressful week here with work issues and Peterls having college tuition issues. My microwave went on the fritz, then my refrigerator. Arrrhhhh!!! Ahhhh....if we'd just win that lottery. I promise I'll tithe, Lord.:angel:

2 nights ago, we were packing up to head off to see the Milwaukee Brewers play when a storm passed thru West Bend. Just as we were getting ready to leave a tremendous flash and boom seemed to fill our house. Lightning had struck a beautiful old tree in our back yard -splitting it down the middle. The ground leading up to the tree looked like someone had used a rototiller -there was literally a trench. Poor Nicole-my son's girlfriend! She was really startled having just been nearly electrocuted a month ago! Poor kid.

Then we got a call from a dear friends of ours, Mike and Joan. Their son is getting married next weekend (this we knew). Sunday their daughter gave birth to a gorgeous little baby girl named Isabella. Sadly, Joan's mom passed away unexpectedly on Saturday. She missed the birth of her great-granddaughter by one day and the wedding of her grandson by one week. I feel just horrible for them.

Brooke
08-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Awww, very sad Molly.

Prettymaid
08-28-2009, 07:29 AM
straight to the skip

GEF, does this mean straight to the trash?

I found out this morning that the chase actually came down my gravel road. My neighbor saw them driving about 80 mph and couldn't figure out what in the world. It's a dead end road, so they weren't gone long and had to turn around (possibly in my driveway!) and come back to get out!

That's scary Brooke! Good thing they didn't stop at your house - we know what you do to bothersome varmits! :hilarious:

Just as we were getting ready to leave a tremendous flash and boom seemed to fill our house. Lightning had struck a beautiful old tree in our back yard -splitting it down the middle. The ground leading up to the tree looked like someone had used a rototiller -there was literally a trench.

Molly, do you think it was the lightning hit that fried your appliances?

Koala
08-28-2009, 08:57 AM

GEF, It must be really hard for you, a sad time, but you can be happy that your sister supported you and you must not do it alone.

Molly
08-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Molly, do you think it was the lightning hit that fried your appliances?

No, the appliances preceded the lightning. But, it did trip the ground fault on the basement level of the house. When I flipped the switch Wednesday morning, everything started running again all at once.

My work computer is down in our basement as is our home theatre stuff. Thankfully, the circuit breakers did their job and everything was OK.

TimothyBFan
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
My goodness- Away for a few days and so much to get caught up on.

Jess-How fun the pow wow sounds. Exciting to see all your family along with it. Have fun and also enjoy the JB concert.

GA--What a horrible tragedy. Did you know the family? I hope everyone supports this poor family and helps them get thru such a trying time.

EV-HOW FUN!!!!! I know when I PM'd you back, I hadn't read this thread yet!! I am just so excited for your family. Please take lots and lots of pics to share. If you get close to Pikes Peak--think of me. :hilarious: That is my favorite place in this whole country (that I have visited so far that is). The Rockies are just amazing! That sounds like a dream vacation for all of you. What an opportunity for the boys. And like I told you, I am really sorry about your friend. Thank goodness for technology that sure helps to keep us all in touch.

gef-hugs to you with what you have going right now!! How difficult this will be for you and your sister.

For goodness sake Molly, what a horrible week for your family. So much sad news. My thoughts are with the whole family.

We have Dillon settled in now. I've spoken with him several times, text, Facebook and phone. Him and another friend who are down there, went walking around the campus yesterday to find their classes. IU is a HUGE campus so I'm sure that wasn't an easy task. He said they were out walking for 7 hours. He was bushed when he called last night. Said he met his Russian professor in the process when he was looking for that hall. He asked a woman that was passing by if she could tell him where the hall was, and when she spoke realized she had a Russian accent. So he asked if she was perhaps Professor so and so and introduced himself. Her class will be his first one Monday morning. Seems she is also new there this year and was on her way to find it also. So they got off to a good start there. He already applied for a job at one of the 11 libraries on campus for his work study. Hopefully he will get it. His only complaint so far is the heat in his 3rd story non air conditioned dorm room. It was pretty muggy there Wednesday. He has a box fan but you know how that is. At least it's suppose to cool off this weekend and next week.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Brooke
08-28-2009, 10:25 AM
His only complaint so far is the heat in his 3rd story non air conditioned dorm room. It was pretty muggy there Wednesday. He has a box fan but you know how that is. At least it's suppose to cool off this weekend and next week.

TBF, sounds like you are surviving Dillon being gone. Wouldn't you think they would have all the dorms air conditioned by now? Yikes!

sodascouts
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Brooke - dang! I would have been freaking out! I wonder if some of those cops appeared in "The Heat Is On" ad? ;)

Molly - all that stress and then your poor friends too! It does remind one of the "circle of life" but what a shame for her so miss those big events by just a little bit.

Willie - How sweet that Dillon is keeping in such close contact with his mom! He's a good kid.

EasyFeeling
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I hope this goes out well for me. At the moment I have to struggle with these horrible panic attacks and hyperventilations sometimes. That's not funny I can tell you. :-x
I have an therapist appointment next week maybe they can tell me how to deal with it.

Kate, all these tests will be done in September.

sodascouts
08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
I can understand why you would be having those problems, Michaela. You must be so frightened! I hope the therapist can help you and again, I'm praying for you.

Brooke
08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Me too, Michaela. Take care of yourself. I'm sure the docs will get you all taken care of.

Btw, "Bonnie" is still at large! From reports from my nephew about the whole cop scenario, they had to go change their clothes before they went in to the cornfields to search! :headscratch: I'm glad they didn't have hostages or something! And their 'intelligence' about them moving to another county wasn't much good! Made them sound stupid since they were sighted just a mile away the next morning! Dukes of Hazzard comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Koala
08-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Michaela, nice to hear from you!
I hope you will get better soon and the therapist can help you!

Molly
08-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts, Michaela! Keep us posted.

EagleLady
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey all, Please say a prayer for my mom, Her defribilator went off this morning and she started having chest pains, Turns out it was defected and she will need an operation to replace it

sodascouts
08-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry - I hope she will be OK!

Brooke
08-29-2009, 02:44 PM
El, sorry to hear that. I'll be thinking of you and your Mom and hoping everything goes ok.

EagleLady
08-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Guys :grouphug:

Prettymaid
08-29-2009, 04:17 PM
EL, I don't know if I remember you ever telling us about your Mom. I will keep her in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

MikeA
08-29-2009, 06:11 PM
EL, I don't know what that surgery to replace or repair the pacemaker involves, but I'm hoping that it is "routine" and that she has no trouble with it. Nevertheless, any surgery is not something to look forward to....but GREAT to look back on! My best wishes for a very fast recovery.

eaglesvet
08-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the well wishes. I didn't have time to read all the intervening posts (which I will do in the next couple of days)...because I am pulling my usual almost-allnighter to pack me and the boys for our trip! (At least hubby can pack himself at his age!) Right now, I just sat down with my Starbucks break :soda::thumbsup:, and figured I just 'check in' and see what's happ'nin here! Never fails, however,,,no matter how good my intentions to pack ahead of time, there always is that one or two extra loads of laundry, and this year those extra hiking socks to buy...and before you know it, that last day to pack becomes that last night to pack! :hilarious: Actually, I only ever pulled a real allnighter to pack a few years ago when we went to Disneyland, and I actually now don't remember why I started so late. It really doesn't matter, because we're flying, and I can fall asleep anywhere in milliseconds flat. It does become a problem if I'm due to share driving duties, however!

Mike, I will find out about those pigtail bridges--sound interesting.

GEF, I work in Madison, which is the town next to Chatham, NJ. They are both in Morris County (there is no Chatham County in NJ.) Both Madison and Chatham are lovely small towns...Chatham was actually voted the best town to live in NJ a few years back by a popular magazine called NJ Monthly (which obviously is all about our state.)

I'll definitely be bringing my laptop on vaca...since my kids are a bit on the young side, we don't stay out toooo late, so I do like to get on the computer at night even when I'm away. Talk to you from the Wild West!:thumbsup:

Koala
08-30-2009, 02:51 AM
EL, I'm sorry to hear that! Your Mom is in my thoughts!

glenneaglesfan
08-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Michaela, I'll be thinking of you. I hope the tests don't show anything serious and that you can find a way of dealing with the panic attacks.

EL, sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the op goes ok.

Molly, sorry to hear about your awful week. The lightning strike must have been scary.

Brooke, although the car chase was scary for you, I had to laugh reading about the cops having to change their clothes etc!

EV, have a great trip and thanks for the info about Chatham. I visited in 1982 when my cousin got married, and it was a lovely place.

PM, when I talked about the skip, I meant taking things to our recycling centre where we have huge skips for everything - garden waste, glass, metal, engine oil etc, and even ragged clothes get shredded for re-use. Clean wearable clothes and shoes we take to charity shops.

This is the view from my parents' house.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_6200.jpg

Dartmouth and the castle, where the Mayflower set off from originally, before having to go back to Plymouth for repairs. (It could have been "Dartmouth Rock" in Massachussets!)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_6214.jpg

After the clothes sorting, I went back with the boys on Friday to watch the Red Arrows from the house.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_6257.jpg

EagleLady
08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow, That is such beautiful scenery Kate Thanks for sharing

Peekaboo
08-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I've only got a few minutes here before we leave for church. So far, everything has been going really well. The powwow has been fun and it's been so great to see my family. One of my cousin's flew back from Alaska. She's been there for over a year and she has one more year left before she returns homefor good. She's living and working there for not exactly a church mission but something like it. I didn't know she was going to be coming back this week. It was such a lovely surprise to see her. Yesterday for the festivities during the day, my grandmother was honored. Her U.S. flag was flown and a special song was sung in remembrance of her. It was a very touching moment as we all danced around the drum for her. Tonight is the last night for the powwow then it's back to work tomorrow night...ugh.

Sidenote: The Jackson Browne concert was amazing. I haven't had time to get my pics situated yet but i will be getting to those, as well as a review, as soon as I get the chance. I also captured a few videos as well. J.B.'s version of Take It Easy was wonderful.

Prettymaid
08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
EV, I'm always running around at the last minute before a vacation, too, and it's only Hubby and me. I can't imagine being responsible for a whole family's worth of packing! Here's hoping you don't forget anything - but if you do it's something small and easily replaceable! Go and have a great time! We'll be waiting for your posts.

GEF, I literally gasped out loud when I saw your pictures. Truly breathtaking! I've only experienced that breathtaking beauty a couple of times. Once when traveling through Northeast America by car looking at the fall foilage, and most recently in 2006 when we visited the Rocky Mountains.

Peek, your family sounds awesome! It's nice that you all reconnect for reunions. I'm afraid the only time I see my family is for weddings and funerals. Also very anxious to read your JB review.

Troubadour
08-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Aw, Kate! Your pictures remind me of numerous holidays with my grandparents when my sister and I were younger. Dartmouth is beautiful, and I love the Red Arrows. Every year, watching them from the clifftop at Bournemouth... Thanks for posting.

ticky
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
El, Give your Mom my best and tell her get well! My thoughts and prayers are with her.

EV *G* Have a great time in the wild wild west! Dont forget your sh*t kickers and hat! you'll blend right in!

Kate, Wow.. what an amazing view!! I was so excited to see them when you mentioned the castle where the Mayflower left initially (Too bad they didnt have roadside assist. back then hehehe) I've mentioned before Im the family historian and I traced my family back to the Mayflower! So how cool is it to see where they set off from! If you hadn't shown me, I probably never would have seen it. Thank you!
As for your Red Arrows, right now there's a small airport mostly used by commuter planes and Nike that is hosting an Air Show only a few miles from here. We can watch the air show (and FEEL it) from our back yard. The Blue Angels fly formation over us about 3 times a day! they look a LOT like your Red Arrows, but Blue.. of course *G*
The Job you're doing is a hard one. Im glad you have the opportunity to spend some time in that beautiful place and enjoy it.

Jess, Cant wait to see the pics from JB! and read all about it *G* The Powwow sounds like a great time and I am so glad you got to see your cousin! Have a great time tonight and Love and well wishes to Mom!

sodascouts
08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
EV - have fun! Glad you're bringing your laptop so we won't have to miss you while you're away.

Kate - absolutely wonderful photos, especially the view from your parent's home. I remember the lovely views you showed me when I visited your home back in 2006. What a gorgeous area! By the way, I love how it seems every Brit lives within a stone's throw of a castle. I'm so envious - Americans have nothing like that.

Jess - what a great occasion for your family, to have so many gather together as well as the lovely tribute to your grandmother. I love hearing about it.

DonFan
08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I hate being away from here so much! Between work and travelling, it seems I can hardly steal away any time here anymore. I have really enjoyed reading this thread tonight and getting caught up with everyone.

Hubby & I spent five days last week in Big Cedar Lodge in Missouri, just outside of Branson, on a wonderful vacation with my best friend from high school and her husband. Our families have taken vacations together several times over the years, but this was the first time we have gotten away without our children. They have four kids who are all grown, and our two have gotten old enough that we can finally do this, too. As a matter of fact, Rachel, our oldest, turns 21 on Thursday! Hard to believe. Anyway, the resort was luxurious, nestled in the Ozarks, and the weather was beautiful with clear and sunny blue skies every day. We swam and fished and had a great time. Branson is billed as the "Country Music Capital of the Ozarks" with dozens of theaters, so we drove in one night intending to go to a show but none of them really appealed to us. There was an Eagles Tribute Show that they thought I would be interested in, but I said No Thanks. Seeing the REAL THING has totally spoiled me!!

TimothyBFan
08-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Jess-sounds like quite a weekend for you!

gef-LOVED the pictures. I can't even imagine seeing a sight like that.

DF-Sounds like a wonderful vacation.

Koala
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Peek, it sounds you had a great time at the Powwow !
GEF, the view is amazing!
DF, sounds like a nice holiday.

Today was my first working day after 6 weeks holiday!
Everything is different, at my school now,
new colleagues, new students and a new classroom, which I must share with other, before it I had a room only for me.
None of this is really bad, the worst is that I must maybe change the school, to work at another school!

MikeA
09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
This is DISGUSTING! Woke up this morning. Came to the basement to get logged on for work and heard the shower going. Then heard DRIPPING. Then heard a toilet flush and then heard water GUSHING! IN MY BASEMENT! Right outside my office!

Guess I'm lucky. I called a local plumber and he's coming out this morning. I don't do plumbing! Anything I attempt ends in disaster...not to mention a big mess. I know my limits :censored: :cuss:

Brooke
09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Good luck with that one, Mike!

DF, great to hear from you! I've never been to Big Cedar Lodge, but heard it's really nice! Sounds like you had a fun time in my neck of the woods. You could have driven northeast about 5 hours and visited me, too! :wink:

Peek, sounds like your pow wow was a fun time for all.

Koala, good luck with your new job!

Molly
09-01-2009, 11:10 AM
This is DISGUSTING! Woke up this morning. Came to the basement to get logged on for work and heard the shower going. Then heard DRIPPING. Then heard a toilet flush and then heard water GUSHING! IN MY BASEMENT! Right outside my office!

Guess I'm lucky. I called a local plumber and he's coming out this morning. I don't do plumbing! Anything I attempt ends in disaster...not to mention a big mess. I know my limits :censored: :cuss:

Sorry for your water issues, Mike. Nothing worse than water where it isn't supposed to be.

Your use of icons made me chuckle, tho. My husband's a real handy man-but he won't do plumbing if he can avoid it.

We've come to expect this when he does attempt it::censored::censored::censored:

In fact, my sons and I gauge hubby's projects around here by: Is it a :censored: project or a :censored::censored: project, etc.

MikeA
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I really hate plumbing. First, nothing that is broken is ever easy to get to! I had to work on a sewer line at an old house that I lived in that was NOT built on a slab, but the crawl space was about 6". No Kidding! I literally had to dig out a trench deep enough and wide enough that would let me squirm under the house on my back to get to the problem area.

But even the "easy" repairs give me fits. Most kitchen and bathroom sink problems involve PVC pipe. I seem to have to make at least 3 trips to the hardware store to get pieces to patch a problem and then have a nightmare trying to get everything together without leaks!

Just last weekend, I had a faucet outside that we couldn't not completely shut off. It would drip no matter how hard you cranked the knob! I had a pipe with a faucet on the end that would solve the problem so I grabbed my trusty pipe wrench and removed the old faucet. Well, that old faucet came right off all right.....the faucet and about 18" of COPPER pipe! I definitely do not "sweat' copper. I don't even have a propane torch!

Have you EVER tried to get a plumber out to work on something over a weekend? I called 7 or 8 plumbers before one actually answered the phone and then he wanted me to sell my kids to raise enough to pay him for the weekend call. Actually, selling the kids was tempting...but it didn't come to that. He charged just enough that had we not had the plumbing problem, along with the Government incentive, we could have bought a new car!

But at least now, we are high and dry. The problem with the toilet was that the wax ring had no wax on it! I didn't feel too bad. I've changed those before but that was long before I hurt my back. These days, I can raise the lid on the toilet but would need a hoist to lift the entire toilet to replace the wax ring. I even remember to raise the lid. It took just ONE time of my wife getting up in the middle of the night for a bathroom emergency. The scream would have curdled milk! I never forgot that!

Brooke
09-01-2009, 01:20 PM
:laugh: I'm glad you learned your lesson!

Prettymaid
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
DF, your getaway sounds wonderful. I, however, would have taken everybody up on that tribute band!;-)

Koala, I know you are grateful to have your job. Hopefully you can stay in the same building.

Mike, don't feel bad. Not everybody was meant to be a plumber. It takes knowledge...it takes skill...and it takes a certain type of a** to showcase that butt crack!

Koala
09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Koala, good luck with your new job!
Thanks!

Koala, I know you are grateful to have your job. Hopefully you can stay in the same building.

I hope so too, but at the moment it looks like I must really change the school! But more badly is I could lose even my job, when not enough children to be announced in both schools!

ticky
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Mike, I understand your hate of plumbing. My father, the consummate handy guy, HATES plumbing. It's his Arch nemesis. When plumbing needs doing, I just leave it to him and walk away quickly *G*

I went to the dentist today!! at 6am this morning to be precise! It was just a consultation with an endocrinologist. BUT he just happened to have a cancellation AFTER my visit (GO FIGURE.. a cancellation with an endocrinologist at 7am.. thats a shocker) and guess who got to have PART ONE of a fun ol' root canal ON THE SPOT! UGH... at least I got good drugs *G* I'll be pretty much stoned off my gourd for the rest of the day as my novicain is WEARING OFF QUICKLY! *bleh*

EagleLady
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Ouch Rhonda, Hope you get to feeling better.

My Mom is out of surgery now and recovering, She will be home tomorrow.

Roxy
09-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I just bought a new mattress! Its wonderful, I can hardly get out of bed in the morning to get to work! Other than that I keep working and working hard! My day job sucks but my night and weekend job ROCKS!!! Anyway, keep it rockin!!!

Roxy
roxy@Jesterhouseofdesigns.com
www.Jesterhouseofdesigns.com (http://www.Jesterhouseofdesigns.com)
www.myspace.com/jesterhouseofdesigns (http://www.myspace.com/jesterhouseofdesigns)

Prettymaid
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
... at least I got good drugs *G* I'll be pretty much stoned off my gourd for the rest of the day as my novicain is WEARING OFF QUICKLY! *bleh*

I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to play with your head...:computer:

sodascouts
09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Good to see you around, DF! Glad you and your hubby had a good time with your friends - sounds great!

Koala, good luck adjusting to work. I sure hope you keep your job!

MIke - yikes! Glad you got it taken care of.

I had a weird morning. I got up at about 5:00 am, messed around a little bit on the computer and such, and then suddenly got severely dizzy and had to lay down. In fact it was so bad I couldn't even walk straight back to my bed - I staggered back to my bed like I was freaking drunk. By 10:00 I was able to get up without problems, but the whole thing was kind of scary, so I stayed home today and played around on The Border. ;) It's probably nothing, but I'm gonna call my neurologist tomorrow.

Prettymaid
09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Good Nancy, please have it checked out.

ticky
09-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to play with your head...:computer:

Who said you missed that? I still have the awesome drugs:drool:

Nancy, YEESH!!! I hope there's nothing serious wrong! be careful! wouldnt want you to loose those wonderful dreams or wandering rants *G*

glenneaglesfan
09-02-2009, 04:08 AM
But even the "easy" repairs give me fits. Most kitchen and bathroom sink problems involve PVC pipe. I seem to have to make at least 3 trips to the hardware store to get pieces to patch a problem and then have a nightmare trying to get everything together without leaks!

Lol, Mike, tell me about it. My dearest has been trying to fit a heated towel rail for our new spa pool for the last two weeks and still there is a flood in the garage. I've been sent off to the hardware store at all hours for just another little connecting piece or more fernox for the radiator system, drained down three times so far!!

Df, nice to hear from you. Your trip sounds idyllic.

Nancy, hope it's nothing, but get it checked.

Ticky, sorry about your dentistry. I hate going (and the bill afterwards!) Glad you liked the Dartmouth pic though. How cool to have traced your family tree back that far. I have a lovely photo of Nancy at the Mayflower steps in Plymouth when we met up in 2006.

Louise, my sister was watching the Red Arrows in Bournemouth this year too!

Koala, good luck with your job, and hope you don't have to move.

EL, glad to hear about your mother.

TimothyBFan
09-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Nancy--so very scary. Follow up please with your doctor and keep us posted. Hoping it's nothing serious.

EL--good news about your Mom.

Koala--Good luck. Looks like some life changes ahead for you.

Mike-:worried::worried::worried: I feel for you. We bought our home over 20 years ago and it is now 121 years old. My husband & I have tackled many many projects in this house and have ripped out every wall and put them back up, floors the same, electrical. We've learned over the years to do all these things ourselves, and learn from our mistakes and start over again. But the one thing Larry refuses to do is plumbing. It's been a nightmare several times over the years-the last being just this past spring when we had to call out a plumber on a Sunday because sewage was running into the basement. That plumber and another ended up being out here for 3 days straight. I won't even scare you with that bill!

MikeA
09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
YESH Soda!

Hope you can get in SOON to see the Doc! It's not something that I'd want to take any chances with. I'm looking forward to hearing back that it is "nothing".

Koala
09-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks everybody! :hug:
Soda, I hope it's not serious!
EL, glad to hear about your mom.

TimothyBFan
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm so excited for my son. He just called and got his work study job this morning. My son is now a Librarian! :lol: He is starting a job Sunday at the Art Library on campus. He says he told the woman that interviewed him that this was his Mom's dream job! :lol:

His classes have been going really well and keeps sending me messages in Russian which he is studying also. Says he loves his Crime & Deviance class the most. :stunned: The things they offer in college! Wow!!

Brooke
09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Soda, I hope everything is ok.

TBF, good for Dillon!

Molly
09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Nancy, hope you're feeling better. Do you have trouble with your inner ears? My MIL gets something very similar. It can be brought on by a virus.

Willie-Good for Dillon! That was quick. He must have done well in his interview since those campus jobs are usually pretty sought after.

Peter is back in school as well as his internship plus football has started up again so we're seeing very little of him. He's playing a different position this year and he's excited. He's been studying jujitsu and mixed martial arts all summer and I can't believe how trim and muscular he's getting.

Ditka and I are off on a 5 day trip-leaving tomorrow. We haven't gone anywhere together in a really long time. (I am NOT counting taking my mother in law to St. Louis to see family this past June as a vacation-that was penance!)

Usually I'm off with my fellow stalkers (as hubby calls us) on one Glenn adventure or another.

sodascouts
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
TBF - Dillon the star student strikes again!

Molly - have fun on your trip with Ditka. Make him feel like there's no one else you'd rather stalk. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes guys. Turns out Molly was dead on about what happened. It's a problem with my inner ear on my right side. The doctor said they found an "abnormality" which was caused by one of three things:

1) A virus which will go away by itself in 4-6 weeks.
2) An inflammation which can be treated with steroids and will eventually go away.
3) A VERY SMALL POSSIBILITY of a tumor which will have to be surgically removed before it destroys my hearing and paralyzes half of my face. I take the MRI next Thurs. to see if that's the case (unlikely).

But I don't understand why I would have one severe episode out of the blue if that's the problem, and then feel fine since. Wouldn't there be more of a buildup? And wouldn't the problem continue consistently?

But hey, they found an "abnormality" so there must be something to it. At the very least, I will emerge from this experience less abnormal. ;)

I just hope there's nothing else going on. Some of these specialists are so focused they don't even ask about your other problems and how they might play into your symptoms. I had to volunteer that I had epilepsy and he didn't ask any questions about that, except he wanted to know the name of my medication (which was a routine question anyway). When I asked about getting my blood pressure checked, he just said it was unnecessary since "we've identified the problem." When I looked dubious, he added, "If you insist, we can do a bunch of blood pressure work. It'll take a lot of time though... and it's obviously not the problem." So I just nodded - he's the expert - but how can he be so sure there's nothing else wrong?

Oh well. Hope it all gets fixed.

Peekaboo
09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
EL, i'm glad that your mother's surgery was a success. Best wishes on a quick recovery.

Kate, those pics were beautiful. How cool to be able to watch the Red Arrows from view of your house.

Mike, bummer about the plumbing. I don't blame you for not wanting to fix it yourself. Who wants to mess with that crap? ;-) :lol:

Nancy, how scary for that to happen. I'm glad you saw a doctor about it. I'm sure it's not caused by #3 and that you'll come away from this completely normal.

I've been a bit under the weather since i got back from my little family reunion and pow wow this past weekend. I'm calling it my "end of summer cold". I went to the doctor this morning and got some much needed antibiotics. I'm still feeling icky and a bit like a medicine head but i definitely feel better than i did the last few days.

I had a wonderful time with my family this past weekend. It was so great to see everybody. The pow wow was really good. There was so many people there every night. I had never seen the parking area completely full. I took some pics of the dancing in the evenings but my pics didn't turn out so well.

This tepee was set up at my grandpa's camp.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/CIMG3536.jpg

Everyone stands as my grandmother's flag was being lowered and handed to my cousin. I'm not pictured but i'm somewhere in the background. We were all so proud of my younger cousin (pictured in front). She just returned home after her first summer in the Reserves. She made us all so proud.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/CIMG3513.jpg

My family dances around the drum in honor of my grandmother.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/CIMG3514.jpg

With my mom and dad
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/CIMG3523.jpg

The fancy dancers are always one of the most exciting to things to watch at a pow wow. This style of dancing originated on those very grounds over a hundred years ago. Here's a video I found from this years powwow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfQLaAbPDB4

I took this video of the dancing during the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9waZg6YK4

EagleLady
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Jess That is so cool and You're such a pretty lady

GlennLover
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I hope it is just a virus, Nancy. I know what those types of spells are like because I suffer from Meniere's Disease, which is a buildup of fluid in the inner ear. This causes varying intensities & durations of dizzy spells which come & go without warning. It also causes hearing loss in the affected ear. My episodes have become so frequent in recent months, that this week my doctor ordered me off work for 12 to 13 weeks.

Don't worry though, yours doesn't sound like Meniere's. I just brought that up to let you know that I can empathize with you. it's awful how you have to almost be your own doctor these days & insist that they give you the tests that you want. It's the same here in Canada with many doctors.

TimothyBFan
09-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Glad it sounds as if they are at least making progress with why you had that dizzy spell. Ears are nothing to mess with. Hopefully it will be a quick fix for you and you won't need to worry any longer.

Jess--This is so interesting to me. I've always been very interested in the Native American customs and ceremonies. We took our kids to a pow wow years ago. What I remember most was the beautiful dancers and the clothing that was worn. And that picture of you and your parents is priceless!

Prettymaid
09-04-2009, 08:13 AM
TBF, so glad Dillon is settling in to his new environment. I can hear your pride for him in your post.

Soda, I'm thankful you were somewhat diagnosed. At least you are getting it taken care of.

Peek, thanks for the pictures. They really help decribe what you are talking about.

Molly, have a good time on your getaway. I gotta tell you guys, I'm getting envious listening to your vacation stories. We didn't plan one this year because we knew all of our money would be going towards finishing the deck. For now, that is our getaway. :hilarious:

Speaking of which, we are having a cookout this Sunday - a sort of deckwarming. Both sides of the family are coming and everybody's bringing a dish, so I don't have to do too much. Should be fun!

Brooke
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Soda, I'm glad you have somewhat of a diagnosis. Hopefully it will be cleared up soon and no more problems. I really don't see why they think there is still a problem, but you have no more symptoms. Strange.

Molly, have fun on your trip!

Peek, wonderful pics and glad you had a good time with your family. Get well soon, too.

El, I'm glad your Mom is doing well.

tbs fanatic
09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Peek - we have the Haskell Indian Nations University in our town. They are having their Art Fair next weekend - which is always fun to go to. Have you heard of Haskell? Loved your pics.

DonFan
09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Nancy, I am glad you have been diagnosed and I hope the treatment is successful. My mother has dealt with inner problems for years, so I have an idea about what you have been going through.

Peek, the powwow sounds like it was a lot of fun. Great pics of you and your family!

DonFan
09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
DF, great to hear from you! I've never been to Big Cedar Lodge, but heard it's really nice! Sounds like you had a fun time in my neck of the woods. You could have driven northeast about 5 hours and visited me, too! :wink:

Thanks, Brooke! Maybe next time we can work it out!

TBF, good to hear about your son's job. My daughter just started her junior year at the University of Montevallo, and she has been working in their library for over a year and loves it.

glenneaglesfan
09-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Nancy, I sure hope they sort out your problems.

PB, those are great pictures from your pow wow

TGF, good luck to Dillon.

Molly. enjoy!!

Troubadour
09-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Jess, those pictures are fantastic! It looks like you had a lot of fun. The photo of you with your parents is just adorable.

Nancy, I hope everything gets sorted soon. Glad you have some kind of diagnosis - makes it a little less worrying. Keep us updated!

Cathy, enjoy your cookout this Sunday!

Koala
09-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Soda, Glad you have a kind of diagnostic, I hope you get soon an accurate diagnosis!
Peek, thanks for the pictures and videos!
PM, have fun Sunday!

ticky
09-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Wild/Cami is here and we're heading out tomorrow morning for the cabin. We've been crazy women cooking baking and running all over town trying to get ready, but I think we're nearly there! It's supposed to rain on Saturday but Sunday's gonna be beautiful!! back on Monday! See ya'll then!

Brooke
09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Ticky & WT, have a great weekend!

My husband's side of the family has a big barbecue on Monday. Other than that, not much going on here for the weekend. Just the usual....clean the house, weed the flower beds, check out the deer camera at the huntin' spot, and relax. We are adding on to our deck, too, so will do a little work on that.

Everyone, have a nice holiday weekend!

sodascouts
09-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Peek - wow, what a great cultural experience. Thanks for sharing those photos and video!

Ann, I'm so sorry to hear about your episodes being so frequent. The doctors can't do anything about it?

You folks having Labor Events - have fun! The most I'm doing it going out to eat with a friend. No cookouts 'round these parts!

Stars
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Peek, loved your pictures! Thanks for posting.
Hope everyone has a fun Labor Day week-end! Hubby and I are headed out to an annual bluegrass festival-it's a tradition for us to go every Labor Day week-end.
Nancy, I'm glad your doctor figured out what's wrong. I have the same problem! My dizzy spells flair up a couple times a year, and my doctor told me it's an inner ear problem. When it happens to me, it lasts all day, and I can't even go to work. All I can do is lie flat on my back. Do keep us updated about what your doctor says. If he gives you a recommendation for meds to take when it happens, let me know, and I'll talk to my doctor about taking the same thing. Thanks!

Peekaboo
09-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Peek - we have the Haskell Indian Nations University in our town. They are having their Art Fair next weekend - which is always fun to go to. Have you heard of Haskell? Loved your pics.

Yup, I sure have. Some members of my family have gone to school there. I know that they have a huge pow wow there every year. I've never been to it before but i've always wanted to go. Hopefully one of these days I'll get the chance to make it there for that.

To Rhonda, Cami, Brooke, Carla and everyone else getting together with their family and friends this weekend Have a fun and safe Holiday.

Koala
09-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Today I had a short SMS chat with Michaela (EasyFeeling), Michaela goes it quite well.
She has had some inquiries but nothing was found, thatīs good she means.
In the next time she tries to come on the Border!
I should greet you all from her.

sodascouts
09-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm glad to hear that tests have not found anything. Say hello to Michaela from us! We miss her!

Prettymaid
09-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Yes, Hi EF!

TimothyBFan
09-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Hope everyone had a great long weekend! We did here and the weather couldn't have been better other than a few brief showers Sunday night (we actually got rained off the patio about 2:30 am Monday morning because of it). Our friend Jason who's been in Afghanastain, got home for a 2 week leave on Saturday. Poor guy was literally traveling for 3 days before he finally touched down at our airport Saturday night at 5:30. So we had our vinyl night Sunday night, until we got rained out like I said above.

I'm also going thru house envy right now. My brother and his wife bought a house 17 years ago and never did a thing with it. They finally decided to remodel and add on to it a few months back. The addition is done and the contractors are now ready to start the remodel of the old part. The whole family went there Sunday to help move everything back in and clean out the old part to get ready. The addition is gorgeous with all custom made cabinets and new appliances. The master suite has the most unbelievable bathroom in it with room in the shower for about 12 :hilarious: and like 6 different shower heads. Anyways, I came home and looked at my 120 year old home and sighed! I love it but it sure would be nice to have level floors and brand new cabinets. :hilarious:

tbs fanatic
09-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh boy, I'm envious just reading about it. That shower sounds fantastic. The one thing I really hate in our house is our tiny bathroom - I dream about having a huge and wonderful bathroom :hilarious:

GlennLover
09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Belated Happy Labor Day everyone! Hope you all had great weather & enjoyed yourselves. We had probably the best weather that we had all summer & the sun is still shining today, although it is a bit cooler. Had a nice day Saturday dining out & visiting with friends. Unfortunately I was under the weather Sunday & Monday. I did, however, manage to make it out to a restaurant to celebrate a friend's 81st birthday. It was nice, just four of us. We had a lovely dinner overlooking the river which flows through our city near where it flows out to sea.

Ann, I'm so sorry to hear about your episodes being so frequent. The doctors can't do anything about it?

Sorry to be so long answering your question, Nancy. I just haven't felt like posting the last few days, although I try to at least read a lot of the new posts every day. No, there isn't any cure for this disease (except severing the nerves in that ear, which the doctor does not recommend at this stage). There are various treatments & medications that I have tried, to help control the episodes, but none have been very successful. I just hope that the frequency decreases enough so I am able to go back to work. Thanks for your concern!

ticky
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey ya'll. We made it back from the river sadly but it's always good to be home. It rained a good portion of the time we were there, but we had great company and made the best of the sun breaks.
Sarah went off to school this morning, first day of first grade. I cant explain how surreal it is to send one child off to college and turn around and send the other off to 1st grade. She was very brave but melted into tears when Mommy had to leave. Mommy had a very hard time not doing the same.. but we were both brave. She has friends from last year in her class so she's not completely alone.
I brought home a 50lb bag of corn to can and went out to the garden and picked about 12lbs of tomatoes and several cucumbers, some beans and a whole passel of ground cherries!! (yum) and a big bunch of flowers.
Here's a picture..
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs212.snc1/7924_1230466038854_1145190649_704864_5978284_n.jpg

Hope ya'll had a great weekend!

Brooke
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Beautiful flowers, ticky!

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you for a few hours!

Prettymaid
09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Ticky, that photo looks like it should be in a magazine!

I had a very nice Labor Day weekend. Sunday, the day of our cookout, we woke to cloudy skies and an iffy forcast. We really wanted to showcase the deck in the best possible light, and at that point it looked like we'd be pointing at it from in the house... ("See it out there? Ain't it purty?!!?") However around mid morning the clouds broke and the sun came out. Yea!!! It stayed beautiful for the rest of the day. The best compliment we got was from my brother, who said, "It's so nice out here I don't want to leave!"

Back to work today. :ack:

GlennLover
09-08-2009, 06:10 PM
That's wonderful, PM. Glad the weather cooperated for you!

cynd1231
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Been a rough few days...a dear cousin passed over the weekend after a brief illness. I know she's in a far better place but I'm going to miss her smile and infectious laughter. But I'm looking forward to Friday evening --exactly the sort of thing she would want me to do as she was also a big Eagles fan. I just know the angels are welcoming her home to the strains of Hole In The World...it was one of her favorites and appropriate in light of the hole she leaves in our hearts.

Thanks all for letting me share here.....and to Marilyn -- :angel:

TimothyBFan
09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
cynd-I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like she was very special to you.

Ticky-like I told you on Facebook---that is a beautiful picture and I think it belongs in a magazine like Country Living. I really think you need to submit it to one for publishing.

Prettymaid
09-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Cynd, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Troubadour
09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Cynd. :hug:

Peekaboo
09-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Cynd, I'm so very sorry to hear that. It's never easy to lose a loved one. Stay strong and know that we are all here for you. :grouphug:

Brooke
09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm so sorry Cynd.

tbs fanatic
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss Cynd.

MikeA
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Cyndy....I never know what to say in a situation such as that with your cousin. Know though that just because I can't "say" it, I "feel" it for you. Hang in there.

Koala
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm so sorry Cynd.

GlennLover
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Cynd, my condolences to you and your family.

sodascouts
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Cynd, so sorry to hear about your cousin. She sounds like a wonderful person. I believe in angels, too - and I believe that one day, you will see her again.

Molly
09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Cynd, I echo what soda said. Share your stories and memories about her and she'll never really be gone!

I am sorry for your loss.

Molly
09-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Ditka and I are back from our little beach excursion. I think island life may be for me!It was wonderful and relaxing and I didn't think about the mess I'd have to deal with at work until we were flying home yesterday. Boy, I'm paying for it today, though! If I get one more e-mail!!! :brickwall:

We took a little side trip to see Big and Rich Saturday night. I'd never seen the "freak parade" before...it was quite a show.

Talk about audience participation! Everyone was encourage to stand. "Big" Kenny would actually squat down while singing when people came up front with cameras and get into the picture with them! A 9 year old boy who B&R recognized as a frequent concert goer was asked up on stage to sing a verse of "Big Time". A newlywed couple was brought up on stage to dance to "Lost in This Moment". John Rich took an acoustic guitar and a microphone and went out into the audience to sing personally to a 95 year old WWII veteran who he was told was in the audience. He sang "The Good Lord and the Man" which is about his late grandfather and his service to the U.S. during WWII. They constantly threw "stuff" into the audience (picks, B&R frisbees, pictures). At the end of the show Big Kenny actually gave his guitar to someone in the audience. My God, at some points in the show there was even...adlibbing!!!

At the onset of the show John Rich even thanked us all graciously for spending our hard earned dollars in this economy on a ticket to see them and how they were going to try hard to make it worth every dollar. :shock:

Now I realize The Eagles and Big and Rich are at two totally different status levels...but good grief...the show Saturday couldn't have been more of a polar opposite experience from attending an Eagles show.

Brooke
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow, Molly! Sounds cool!

I think country artists are way more fan friendly than rock artists. Read about Keith Urbans concerts and Kenny Chesney's. (I hear he's changed on the pictures though.) Of course, the Eagles and all those older bands are just way more elite. They don't have to do that stuff to get fans to come. We pay mega bucks to go see them and are told to sit and don't take pictures!

Ok. Don't get me started! :brickwall:

MikeA
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I won't start if YOU don't start Brooke! I'm thinking about trying seriously cultivating a Country Taste again! Actually, I'm playing some very OLD country stuff at a family reunion on the 19th. I'll sign autographs and even let them take pictures...but I can't throw picks into the audience...they are too expensive <LOL>

We're going to be playing "Sante Fe Rose", "Faded Love", "Milk Cow Blues", "Rubber Dolly", "Chatenooga ChuChu", and a waltz that my Father-in-law wrote. He's playing fiddle and I'm accompanying him on the sixstring. Neither one of us are singing! Hell, I've never heard any of those songs and can barely keep up with the chord changes <LOL>. In some ways, it's actually easier to play lead!

Let's see, what else is happening. We got right at 8" of rain in parts of Wichita Tuesday night. My daughter said that the pool was all but overflowing. I don't think that it floated the liner...hope not!

We're in Vegas now and I'm up about $300 right now with one more day to survive. The good thing is, it is DRY here <LOL>

TimothyBFan
09-10-2009, 07:46 AM
See my concert review for Styx!!! Grrrrr!! Don't get me started again about the whole stand/sit Eagles policy! I'm not a country fan so I can't speak for country artists but every OTHER rock concert I've ever been to...... well I won't go there again... but you all know!

BTW--Glad you had a great time Molly.

Peekaboo
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow Molly!!! Sounds like a wonderful concert!! Glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh man! I can't even imagine the Eagles doing anything like that! What a wonderful show and Big & Rich sound like terrific guys.

Although honestly, if one of the Eagles came down into the audience to sing a song to someone, he'd probably be mobbed!

Mike - have fun at your family reunion!

glenneaglesfan
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Cynd, so sorry to hear about your cousin. She will be much missed.

Molly, sounds like a nice break away and the concert sounds cool!

Mike, hope your luck keeps up!

Ticky, your dedication to real food is an inspiration. Our tomatoes failed to blight this year, but we have had success with salad leaves and french beans, and have apples comimg out of our ears! Hope you are coping with the transition to school,

My two sons are both starting or back to university at the end of the month. Younger son is off to Reading, while older son is retaking his second year at Plymouth, and will live at home. He's already proved himself a very capable chef, so should be usefu!l

Prettymaid
09-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome back Molly. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

GEF, sounds like you have it made with a live in chef for a son!

Molly
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Ooh, should have known I'd be starting something with the whole sit/stand picture thing! :hilarious:

Saturday's show certainly was a different experience!

Mike, good luck in Vegas. Hubby starting losing in Atlantic City and quickly stopped. He's pretty conservative and well, what's the word..oh yeah...Cheap!!!

You could send some of that rain our way. I'm sick of watering the garden and the flowerbeds.

Hubby was home two nights, and then he's back out of the road for a business trip to southern Indiana. Then he's home 2 more days and he turns right around and heads right back to Indianapolis!

TimothyBFan
09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Off to Bloomington tomorrow for Freshman weekend and the IU/Western Michigan football game. Kinda bitter sweet today. Was suppose to be at the Cubs game but sold our tickets. Every year a group of us (11 this year) make the train trip to Chicago and become Bleacher Bums for the day. When we found out Freshman Weekend was the same weekend, we decided to sell our tickets or otherwise would literally have to come home from the game, jump in the car and make the 4 hour drive to Bloomington. No way! Unfortunately, when we decided to sell our tickets, everyone else backed out also and so had 11 tickets to sell. Good thing about the Cubs is, no matter how stinky they are (and they are stinky this year!!!!!) you can always sell the tickets. People LOVE the Cubs!

Molly
09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Woke up this morning and went to the front door to let the dogs outside and saw at least 20 wild turkeys in our front yard. :jawdrop:

Of course, the dogs went totally crazy. The stupid turkeys flew away as soon as I started to open the door, but I worry about what they leave behind. :nausea:

Hopefully, the dogs don't discover it and roll in it. :nausea::nausea: Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

Prettymaid
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Safe trip Willie :bye: Stop by if you want!

Brooke
09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately, when we decided to sell our tickets, everyone else backed out also and so had 11 tickets to sell. Good thing about the Cubs is, no matter how stinky they are (and they are stinky this year!!!!!) you can always sell the tickets. People LOVE the Cubs!

Good thing you're from Indy way, TBF. You couldn't give those Cubs tickets away around here in Cardinal Country! :nahnah: :zzz:

running and ducking

glenneaglesfan
09-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Molly, if we'd had wild turkeys in our yard we'd have tried to bribe them with whisky soaked grain!

Our friendly farmer returned his heifers into our back field, but this time they have a huge bull with them. Sure cut out our expeditions up the field!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_6290.jpg

sodascouts
09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
GEF, I remember how well your son cooks. Yum! Now be careful with that bull - the cows look mean, too! lol

Molly - I hear turkeys are pretty ferocious too. ;)

Have fun at IU, Willie, although I'm sure the football game will be a complete drag, since IU sucks!! (Speaking of rivalries... Go Boilermakers! lol)

lynnzop
09-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Son and I drove to South Dakota this afternoon...I have an art show tomorrow. Have to get up at dark thirty to go set up....sheesh. Cross fingers for no rain and light breezes!!

Hubby is heading out to Green Bay for the opening game against the Bears. This was his b-day present from me - he's been a Packers fan since birth and has never been to Lambeau.

I just want a weekend at home...have spent the last three on the road!!

Molly
09-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Lynn, I'm jealous of your husband and his trip to the Un-Frozen Tundra and to see Da Bears, no less!

The first trip into Lambeau can be somewhat of a religous experience for die-hard Packer fans. I'm sure he's going to have a memorable weekend!

gef, yet another parallel between our boys! Peter is quite an accomplished cook, too. He's been helping me in the kitchen since he was a little boy. This time of the year, he's our "grillmeister".

And Kate, may I say from my farm experience -stay the heck away from that bull!

sodascouts
09-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Hope the art show's going well, Lynn!

lynnzop
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Soda...the weather couldn't have been better. Anyone living in the Midwest knows the wind can blow incessantly around here, and there were just light breezes all day. Lots of people, had a great time.

Glad to be home though. There is laundry to be done, a lawn to be mowed and a dingo that needs some serious hugging. Poor guy, he misses mom when I'm gone, although I got a text from my GF who came over to let him out for a bit that she was "sitting on your deck, petting your dog and drinking your beer" :laugh:

Talked to DH and they are having a good trip so far.

Back to the salt mines tomorrow.

TimothyBFan
09-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Hubby is heading out to Green Bay for the opening game against the Bears. This was his b-day present from me - he's been a Packers fan since birth and has never been to Lambeau.

It was a sad sad night for us Bears fans. :-( You would think we would be used to it by now! :-x

lynnzop
09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
It was a sad sad night for us Bears fans. :-( You would think we would be used to it by now! :-x
Well, I am not a Packer fan (I grew up in Minnesota ;)) but I go along with it for the sake of our marriage.

Although this year, someone did buy me a purple t-shirt with a big yellow #4 on the back that I'll be wearing to football parties. :D

You have to admit, it was a good game to watch last night...I thought Da Bearz had it won up until that last minute!!!

Molly
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Geez Willie, now I feel bad. No smack talking from me today.

I'm really sorry my team spanked, er...I mean narrowly defeated your team last night........

NOT!!!!!!:partytime:

It's too early to gloat. No point in getting excited during week 1. Besides Willie, it could be worse. Your team could be the Lions! <Ducking>

Molly
09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Well, I am not a Packer fan (I grew up in Minnesota ;)) but I go along with it for the sake of our marriage.

Although this year, someone did buy me a purple t-shirt with a big yellow #4 on the back that I'll be wearing to football parties. :D

You have to admit, it was a good game to watch last night...I thought Da Bearz had it won up until that last minute!!!

Have fun wearing that t-shirt! Around here, our t-shirts say, "Buck, Frett!!!" Or my favorite, Brent who?

The Packer's game was the highlight of the last 24 hours.

I hate to admit that I had to leave a meeting at work today, go into the ladies room and have a good cry out of anger and frustration.

Maybe it's time to go back to school. Maybe it's time to buy more lottery tickets. <Sigh>

sodascouts
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow - what a rough day. I'm sorry. I hope things get better for you. No need to be embarrassed about your reaction - you're not the only one who's had a good cry in a bathroom somewhere. I know that from personal experience. I wish I could help!

MikeA
09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Molly,

That's just bad. I've had a few days like that myself...but what scares me is that I didn't rush off and cry....I seriously considered going "POSTAL!"

It's a very rough time in the workplace. We've lost half our staff due to layoffs resulting from the downturn in the economy and EVERYONE is paranoid and on short fuses.

I hope the Sun shines brighter on you tomorrow!

TimothyBFan
09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Molly :grouphug: Been there, done that. Like Mike said, it's just not easy out there right now. Hopefully things will get better soon for everyone and this country can get back on track so people don't have to feel so down. Keep the positive thoughts and know you're not alone!

lynnzop
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
(((hugs))) Molly. My entire department was eliminated in May - fortunately, most of us were placed in another division. It has it's days, but I keep saying "it's a job, it pays the bills". Hopefully things will look up for you soon, or it's not an ongoing thing to have such a horrible day!

Hubby got back with his buddy around dinner time yesterday. I asked if they had a good time after the game and they both looked at each other and said "Oh yeah, but we were good...were in bed by 11!":angel:. I gave them The Look and they both burst out laughing.

Molly
09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, thank you all for your sweet comments.

I've been at my job for 25 years, and feel a real comittment to the hospital that I work for.

Our little community hospital has been swallowed up by a larger entity, and while in many ways, in today's economy, that's a good thing, my area is still thread bare for resources. It gets old.

There is a manager that I've been dealing with for the entire 25 years I've been at the hospital and somehow I haven't figured out how not to let that woman push my buttons. She nearly got the best of me yesterday, and I started to lose my cool and could feel my mouth shift into that "don't know what I'm gonna say next" gear. She above me on the food chain, and she never fails to remind me. She's just a nasty person. Ah, well. It takes all kinds, right?

Today was better working from home. My puppies are always near by for a hug and a doggie smooch whenever I need one-and they always seem to know when I need one!

GlennLover
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Glad you had a better day today Molly. I know what you mean about pets making you feel better. My kitties are always a comfort to me when I'm down.

sodascouts
09-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Ugh, Molly, no wonder you were frustrated with a co-worker like that. Really does make working from home appealing!