PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening in Your Life?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

sodascouts
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I've split this thread because it was getting pretty long; as a result, the conversation is starting mid-way here. If you want to read posts that were made before this one, go to this thread:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2008, 04:36 PM
MF! I know this has been a hard week for you and remembered your moms birthday yesterday. I know too that things havent been easy since you came back from London. Hopefully some of your gigs will give your band more exposure and will lead to more gigs!

Maybe the commissaire can cheer you up a bit........... :heybaby:

:hug:

I'm 11 years married today, but we will celebrate it tomorrow evening as the State exam results are out today. This means our 2 reliable babysitters are off 'celebrating'. Although to be fair to them they have done well and so deserve it!
He asked me what I wanted as a present so I bit the bullet and suggested the Eagles Box Set :wink:

Molly
08-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, Molly, now I understand why you have been quiet around here! I hope all these things work out for the best and life will get back to some kind of normal soon.

Gosh! I hate to admit it, but this is kind of "normal" for me!

I guess that's what you get when you have a large family like I do. Somebody always has something going on. Thanks for the kind words everyone. You all are always so supportive and sweet.

Mostly, it's tough seeing people you care about go through tough times, which is pretty much the case right now. It does seem like things happen in "bunches". I think I'm due for a little break from all the stress very soon!

I'm just trying to be helpful where I can. I've been doing a lot of listening and counseling when I think I have something to helpful to say.

DF - I had no idea that you were a singer! Good for you!

MF, I know it's tough when those anniversaries roll around. It does get easier with time, but I find I still have those "moments" of missing loved ones who are gone.

Brooke, no, it doesn't get any easier when the kids are grown and out on their own. That's a misconception! A mom is a mom always and I suppose we'll always fret about what's going on with our kids lives. Good luck to your son. I'm sure he has a good head on his shoulders and will do well.

Both of my boys are back home right now. It's the first time the 4 of us have lived under the same room for any extended period of time. OMG! The grocery bill!

Peter moved out in June to rent a house with 4 other Marquette friends. The house is in a "questionable" neighborhood and I had huge reservations about Peter living there. It only took 6 weeks for the house to be forcibly entered and the boys to be robbed. Peter lost a brand new TV, about $1000 worth of DVDs and CD's and his new tennis shoes.

I'm just grateful he wasn't in the house at the time of the robbery. We'll turn a claim in under our insurance and see what happens.

My mom is unsteady on her feet and falls down every now and then. I've never been the one "in charge" of her when she's had one of these falls until this past weekend. She stumbled and fell in the bathroom of the restaurant we were at. She was fine, but I nearly had a heart attack!

My mother-in-law is in the hospital right now, but I think she'll be just fine. A stomach problem it seems. My MIL is one tough old woman. I think she's too ornery to ever die. My son, Tom says after Armegeddon there will be three things left alive on Earth: cockroaches, Keith Richards and my mother in law. :twisted:

Maleah
08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Mrs F.......I've been thinking about you for the last couple of weeks. I know it's been hard on you and said a prayer for you. I completely understand and agree about making time for each other. :hug:

Molly....I am SO sorry for all you have been through as well. Sometimes life just isn't easy and it's so hard to get through. :(

glenneaglesfan
08-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Oh goodness, such a lot has happened since I last dropped in here.

First of all, Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope in time you will come to remember the happy times you had together.

MF, I'm sad that you have been through such tough times recently, and that you haven't got your mother there for you. It is indeed a lonely world at times. I hope that things brighten up for you soon, and that your music continues to bring you pleasure. It was good to hear about the gigs, especially the Yacht club marathon!

Molly, it sounds as though you really have your hands full at the moment with so much going on. I'll be thinking of you and the various members of your family going through difficulties and illness. I'm sorry to hear about Peter's burglary, but as you say at least he was out. These days you don't know where thieves will stop. I hope the excitement of the Eagles concerts will help to reduce the stress.

Brooke, I'm at about the same stage as you with my boys. My older son has lived away for the last two years, but has decided to live at home for his next year at university. It's nice to have him around, but he has so much stuff and our house isn't very big. I think we need an extension! At least he has found some work weekday evenings so we are not subsidising his nights out to such an extent. My younger son gets his A level results today! He has already decided to have a gap year and wants to travel, but he is looking for a job first to earn some cash. He has an interview tomorrow in the 'pets and aquatics' section at our local garden centre. On a sadder note, he and his girlfriend of over three years have finished. It was a mutual decision. They are both very young and probably felt it wasn't really going anywhere, but I shall miss having her around.

TBF, I dread the day when my two eventually leave for good, but they have to move on. We never stop worrying about them. Sorry to hear life's been a bit tough for you, too, but I'm sure an upccoming concert will lift you!

DF, how awesome to be part of a band and that you covered two Eagles songs. It sounds like you had a fabulous evening! You could get a taste for the rock star lifestyle - well beer and pizza is a start!

GA, congratulations on your anniversary. Hope you get what you wanted!

It's my other half's big birthday this weekend. We are just going away for a night in Cornwall, as one week hence he is off on a three week expedition to Corsica to walk one of the toughest long distance footpaths in Europe. He has been training for this all year, and has been trying to find someone to go with him. I'm pleased to say he has a lovely young German guy going with him, with whom he has worked in the past and they get on well. Now two other germans are going as well, so there will be plenty of help if anyone gets into difficulty.

Mrs Frey
08-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the support, girls. It is much appreciated. :grouphug:

Brooke and TBF, I'm sorry for what you are going through with your children. I haven't even got out of the starting blocks yet regarding children, but I can imagine how tough it must be for you.

TBF, I'm sorry for the tough times you've been through. I hope things improve soon.

Molly, once again, I'm so sorry for your hardships. You still have a sense of humour intact through it all, so you are one strong lady. I hope Lady Luck :wink: shines on you soon. I'm also really sorry that your son's home was robbed. How awful! :evil:

GA, I know that you and your hubby are celebrating your anniversary tonight, so I hope you have a fantastic time. Congratulations, girlfriend! :hug:

GEF, I hope you have a wonderful time with your husband for his birthday. I can imagine how much you will miss him while he's away on his expedition, but I hope that it's a great success for him.

I've just entered into a new relationship (only my second!), and I'm well and truly in love. :inlove: I've spent a lot of time missing him, as he's a very hard working man with an insane schedule, but he's enamoured with me and we're going to make the best of it. Wish me luck with this, ladies! I've been praying for someone special and he may be it!

Glennsallnighter
08-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Gosh!! So much can happen in a Day here not to mind a week!

Firstly, thanks for the good wishes on the Anniversary. Its true, we will head out tonight to celebrate.

Molly that was rotten luck about your son's home being robbed. At least he was not injured himself, since he is far more valuable than his possessions, even if they are important to him. Hopefully your claim will bear fruit. Over here its the house is insured, so yiou can't claim on parents insurance for items lost if you are renting. Good luck!

MF, I'll admit I knew about your new relationship. Your new boyfriend sounds lovely and he is just BBF. Not too busy to think about you :wink: . I WILL pray that all works out.

GEF, have a great birthday celebration with your hubby and pass our wishes onto him as well.

(3 weeks unadulterated Glenn :heart: time coming up!! I am sooooo :jealous: :wink: ) Hope those t-shirts see the light of day!

TBF! I too am thinking of you. Hope things improve :hug:

Brooke
08-14-2008, 10:15 AM
My MIL is one tough old woman. I think she's too ornery to ever die. My son, Tom says after Armegeddon there will be three things left alive on Earth: cockroaches, Keith Richards and my mother in law. :twisted:

OMG! :rofl:

Brooke
08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Oops!

Mrs F, I'm so excited to hear you have a new s.o. I'm very happy for you and hope all goes well! Keep us posted! :D

And Happy Anniversary to you, Ga! :partytime:

Molly
08-14-2008, 06:54 PM
MF! What sweet and wonderful news! Best wishes to you and your new guy! Gosh, you're making me think back to what it felt like to be just starting out and all gushy and in love!

GA! Happy Anniversary! Hope you get that box set. Hubby is lucky, you could have asked for an expensive piece of jewelry!

gef -Happy birthday to your hubby. He sounds like he's still quite the athlete!

Your son breaking up with his girlfriend mirrors my Tom breaking up with his girlfriend of 3 years. Funny how often our lives mirror having 2 boys who are about the same age! I feel exactly the same as you do, Tom and Nicole were really too young for any kind of long term committment. But, I do miss having another female around and Nicole was a very sweet girl. I'm afraid my son has broken her heart. She's not taking the break up very well. I told him to be honest and to be kind, and I believe that's what he did, but it's still hard.

timfan
08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi!

Sorry i've been away so long.. The move turned out to be MUCH more complex that i expected and we have just restored internet today. I sure have missed being in touch with everyone!

Well the move.... instead of 3 or 4 hours it took almost 10 hours to move stuff out of the apartment and in to the new house (eek) Because of the renovations we are doing I have no bedroom right now and we have no kitchen! We are literally living out of boxes. The renovations are already almost 3 weeks behind schedule but they are dropping off the materials this afternoon and supposedly are going to start the construction on Monday.. Finally the possibilty of forward movement! I have had no time for eagles in the last few weeks and as we still don't have a cd player set up i have nbot even been able to listen to the music. It feels very strange to go this long without even hearing an eagles song. Anyway the new house is very nice and hopefully i will be able to be online more in the next little while.

Hope all is well with everyone :)

Molly
08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Hang in there, tf. Hopefully, the end result with be well worth all this inconvenience you're going thru now.

Glennsallnighter
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you all so much for the good wishes. We did indeed have a lovely meal out last night on the top floor of a 13 storey hotel. Panoramic views and Sunset over the town of Dundalk were spectacular (we don't tend to have high rise over here). I was VERY tempted to book in for the night :heybaby: but the kids wouldn't have been warned!!

Hubby said the box set is fine to order, he says I'm 'low maintenance' anyway (He doesn't know what the guitar set me back earlier this year :lol: :wink: )

Molly, I feel for you and Nicole and Tom (Is there a familiar ring to that sound still?). No one is ever the winner in a break up, and even the instigator can feel very bad about it. But I suppose it is better for it to happen now than for them to make a mistake that they might regret later. And who knows, they might find each other again at another time if its meant to be.

Amazing TF! I was only thinking of you today and hoping your move has been going well. We were at the 'living from a box' stage this time last year when we were getting an extension. Its soul destroying, but worth it! Hang in there!

Brooke
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I took a day off work Friday and went shopping. Just general looking around, just for fun. My hubby doesn't understand it at all. How in the world can I spend a whole day shopping for nothing in particular?!

I found myself searching for the perfect top to wear to the St. Louis show. I actually bought 4 tank tops in search of the perfect hot pink! Thank God for the summer sales going on, they were very good bargains! Of course, I didn't explain to hubby why I was searching for a hot pink tank top! lol

TimothyBFan
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Good luck MS with the new school. Sounds like you are starting out with the right attitude!!!:-P

sodascouts
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Molly - glad to hear from you again. You've had a full summer indeed - and a lot of difficulties. Somehow you always manage to stay strong!

MF - Birthdays and anniversaries are hard times, but it's good that you get past it and continue to live your life. You're right - it's like that line in It's a Wonderful Life - no man is a failure who has friends. I'm glad your gigs are going well, and good luck with that new relationship!

GA - happy anniversary!

GEF - happy birthday to the husband - have a good time before and after he leaves! lol

TF - sorry the move is becoming such an ordeal. Hopefully it will progress more quickly now!

MH - Good luck starting at school!

Brooke - Glad you had a fun day! Wish I could enjoy window shopping. I go in order to get something, then I leave. Somehow, I missed out on that common X-chromosone characteristic. ;)

Mrs Henley
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks TBF and Soda! :)
I'm able to this study with thanks to my portfolio with only Don :lol:

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I took a day off work Friday and went shopping. Just general looking around, just for fun. My hubby doesn't understand it at all. How in the world can I spend a whole day shopping for nothing in particular?!

I found myself searching for the perfect top to wear to the St. Louis show. I actually bought 4 tank tops in search of the perfect hot pink! Thank God for the summer sales going on, they were very good bargains! Of course, I didn't explain to hubby why I was searching for a hot pink tank top! lol

Oh that reminds me of looking for that elusive top last March Brooke! Brings me back! My hubby thinks that you go shopping with an objective in mind, you find it, fit it, buy it and go! He doesn't understand the 'browsing' concept, or why one would bother looking at something they had no intention of buying!:crazy:

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Great that you find some tops! :D Glenn would love them! :hilarious:
I'm still at the vacation status till Friday..and Monday college starts.. everything new and I am pretty exciting, nobody of my old schools are in my class, so I can start all over again :)

Good luck with next term MH! I hope you have fun and settle in well! The portfolio sounds good too.

Brooke
08-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh that reminds me of looking for that elusive top last March Brooke! Brings me back! My hubby thinks that you go shopping with an objective in mind, you find it, fit it, buy it and go! He doesn't understand the 'browsing' concept, or why one would bother looking at something they had no intention of buying!:crazy:

That sounds exactly like my hubby! It must be a "man thing"! :roll:

Oh, and I am NOT wearing a suit! Jeans!:razz:

TimothyBFan
08-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Geez-does life ever slow down and quit throwing curve balls? My mom is still in the hospital and her youngest sister was put in the hospital and put on life support last week. I received a call last night from another aunt telling me they are going to take her off of the support this morning because there is no hope now. I have to tell my mother this morning. She is suppose to be coming home on Friday after 8 weeks in the hospital, I hope this doesn't set her back any. While my dad was sick, before he died last year, my mom lost 2 brothers within 2 months of each other and now this!! Makes you want to stop answering the phone, getting the mail, etc... Never know what's next.

Prettymaid
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
TBF- Sorry to hear about your aunt. Sometimes it does seem like life throws us more than we can handle. Just remember that how you handle all of it is the important thing. Know that everything happens for a reason. And there will be better times ahead.

Glennsallnighter
08-19-2008, 09:20 AM
What a lot you are going through TBF. You are an Angel. :angel:I hope your mom stays on track after that devastating news. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers to your family Here's A BIG :hug: for you.

Brooke
08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this devastating news, TBF. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, too.

DonFan
08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I am so sorry about all the sickness in your family, TBF. You are in my thoughts & prayers.

glenneaglesfan
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Oh Willie, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt, and wish you strength when you have to tell your mother. You have had a tough couple of years by the sound of it. I'll be thinking of you and hope that your and your family can look forward to better times soon.

MF, that is wonderful news about your new relationship. He sounds like a good man. I really hope things work out for you.

MH, good luck at your new college!

GA, glad you had a lovely anniversary meal. That view sounds amazing.

We had a nice short break last weekend. Unbeknown to hubby I'd booked us a night in a hotel in Cornwall, right down in Penzance near Lands End. I drove him down in abysmal weather, rain and mist, and he really had no idea until we turned up the side road to the hotel! We had a lovely room with a view over the harbour and the sea towards St Michaels Mount. Fortunately the weather gave us a break for 24 hours, and we walked to a restaurant in the evening and finished off in an Irish(!) bar listening to live music. Next morning it was nearly sunny, and we had a longish walk along the cliffs to a couple of old haunts from our courting days 25 years ago! In the evening, the boys had arranged a Chinese meal for us, so the day ended with a nice family meal at home.

ticky
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
TBF- Im new here and just learning about everyone, but I just wanted to say Im really sorry about your Mom and your Aunt. It sounds like you're going through a really hard time right now. I went through a similar rough time when I lost my sister, but the best I can say besides you're in my prayers, is distraction! Turn off the phone and say you're on vacation (I like the way that sounds... now where have I heard that before? *grin*)
My best hopes for your Mom and prayers for your Aunt.

GEF- What a great idea kidnapping the Hubs for a weekend! I might try that too! Our anniversery is coming up in November. Maybe we'll hit the coast for a romantic weekend. Who cares if the weather is bad, we'll get a storm-watchers room and settle in. *wicked grin* Could be fun without the kids!!

Mrs Henley
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Good luck with next term MH! I hope you have fun and settle in well! The portfolio sounds good too.
Thanks GA!
And GEF of course!

TBF, I'm so sorry to hear this! Take care and I'm thinking of you and your family! :hug:

Brooke
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Gef, sounds like you had a lovely weekend with hubby! And how nice of your boys when you got home!

And MH, good luck at college from me, too. Study hard girl! :)

Mrs Henley
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks Brooke!
It's gonna work! I can listen the whole day to the Eagles and Don so it's gonna be ok! :)

And yes indeed GEF, it sounds indeed lovely! :)

Molly
08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
TBF, hang in there. Your mom is lucky to have you to lean on. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. My aunt passed away last evening. At least she didn't linger for days and went peacefully. Unfortunately, I can't go down to Quincy for the funeral or to be with the family because we have to be here for mom. Mom is really regretting that she got so sick because she was suppose to go home to see her family in Quincy a week after she went into the hospital so didn't get to see her sister one last time. She seems to be doing ok for the most part. We told her she just has to keep concentrating on getting herself better so that she can get home again. It's been hard on her, 2 brothers, my dad and 1 sister in a years time. It sure makes you stop and think, how much more can 1 person go thru?!?

Prettymaid
08-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Willie, I'm sorry for your loss.

DonFan
08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Willie, I am sorry for your loss too. I hope your mother continues to gain strength. I am glad you are there to support her.

Sometimes I wonder why tragedies do seem to come in groups. In one year's time I lost my father, my aunt (Dad's sister), my great-aunt, and my sister-in-law, all to cancer. It was a very sad time for my family.

Mrs Henley
08-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Willie, I'm so sorry for your loss! Take care!

DF, I'm sorry! :hug:

sodascouts
08-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Willie, I can only imagine how hard it must be not only to lose your aunt, but to see your Mom suffering so much. I know there's not much I can say, except I hope that your Mom gets better soon and I'll be praying for you and your family.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
TBF - I'm sorry for your loos you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers :hug:

Glennsallnighter
08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Willie, I too ma sorry for the loss of your Aunt. At least her passing was peaceful and hopefully that is a small comfort. I'm sorry that you can't attend her funeral but I'm sure she will be in your thoughts. I feel sorry too that your mom didn't get that final chance.

DF I'm sorry to hear that you too have suffered losses in such a close succession.

Hearing stories like this is a wake up call that we can take absolutely NOTHING for granted and should cherish every moment with our loved ones. I hate seeing family members fight and not speak. I'm not saying people can't disagree. However I always like to leave conversations and situations on a good note.

Glennsallnighter
08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
GA, glad you had a lovely anniversary meal. That view sounds amazing.

Thanks, GEF, and indeed it was, particularly as the sun was setting on a rare fine evening.

We had a nice short break last weekend. Unbeknown to hubby I'd booked us a night in a hotel in Cornwall, right down in Penzance near Lands End. I drove him down in abysmal weather, rain and mist, and he really had no idea until we turned up the side road to the hotel! We had a lovely room with a view over the harbour and the sea towards St Michaels Mount. Fortunately the weather gave us a break for 24 hours, and we walked to a restaurant in the evening and finished off in an Irish(!) bar listening to live music. Next morning it was nearly sunny, and we had a longish walk along the cliffs to a couple of old haunts from our courting days 25 years ago! In the evening, the boys had arranged a Chinese meal for us, so the day ended with a nice family meal at home.

What a lovely surprise for your hubby GEF! I'm delighted that the weather held and that you had such a good time, and how nice of the boys to arrange that meal as well. :)

DonFan
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
GA, you are absolutely right--we shouldn't take anything for granted. That year really served as a wake-up call for me. I have always appreciated my family and loved ones, but now I think I appreciate them even more, because you just never know what may happen in the future.

In the words of my favorite songwriter:

In a New York Minute
Everything can change
And in these days when darkness falls early
And people rush home to the ones they love
Better take a fool's advice and take care of your own
One day they're here, next day they're gone.

So enjoy every moment!

ticky
08-20-2008, 11:00 PM
TBF, your Mom still has you. I guess when you reach a certain age you can kind of expect to loose your peers (at least thats what my Mom tells me) as long as your children are safe and well. We lost my sister about 12 years ago and it still brings my parents to tears. You are there for your Mom and that means everything.

I nearly died about 8 years ago and gained some serious perspective. Sometimes just our surviving can mean more to the people we love then all the gifts, favors and lengths we can go to.

I lost a child 5 years ago and that is something you never get over. Just be there for your Mom and be healthy and let her know that her survival is the best thing she could ever do for you.

and everybody should drink water.. lots of water.. and use sunscreen :) be healthy!

glenneaglesfan
08-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Ticky, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and your own child. That must have been devastating. You must be a very strong person to have survived a near death experience yourself and to have coped with such losses.

TBF, I'm sorry to hear that your aunt passed away, and for the other losses you and your mother have had to cope with. I wish her well for continuing recovery.

GA and DF, you have said it - too often we don't appreciate our families and friends enough. I have an inspiring uncle in Portugal. He is 90, and lost his wife, my mum's sister, last year. He phones all the extended members of his family at least once a month in order to keep us all together.

Mrs Henley
08-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Ticky, I'm sorry to hear that! Just like what GEF said: You must be a very strong person!

And GA/DF&GEF - I agree with it!
GEF - your uncle is really an inspiring man! I'm sorry for your loss.

Glennsallnighter
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Ticky, you must indeed be a very strong person to have survived your own near miss and then the death of your child. As a mom I can only imagine how devastating that must have been. Much as we might feel like locking away the 'little horrors' at times we couldn't bear to think of anything happening them. You have my most sincere sympathy:hug:.

GEF, your uncle is something else. It takes some doing to be able to keep in touch like that! And from someone who probably had no phone and definitely had no internet growing up!

I must start drinking water.....the sunscreen will wash off after the summer we've had!!

DonFan
08-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Ticky, I can't imagine how devastating it must be to lose a child. You have my sincere sympathy.

TimothyBFan
08-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I sometimes feel guilty when I start feeling sorry for myself. There are so many people out there that are going thru rougher times and have lost so much more than I have. Ticky-I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a child. My deepest sympathy for what you have been thru! GEF-your uncle sounds a lot like our 89 year old neighbor. She is really something else. Been thru so much but continues to be an inspiration to us. She, like your uncle, is wiser than I will ever hope to be and have persevered thru so much. Thanks for the kind words from everyone here. Today we will bring Mom home and hope for better times to come. Thanks!

Prettymaid
08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
In the words of my favorite songwriter:

In a New York Minute
Everything can change
And in these days when darkness falls early
And people rush home to the ones they love
Better take a fool's advice and take care of your own
One day they're here, next day they're gone.

So enjoy every moment!

Exactly DF. Thanks for the perfect words to remind all of us what's
important. I used to know someone who would say, "What doesn't
change in a year can change in a day."

sodascouts
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Ticky, I don't know what to say except more power to you for getting through it, even if you can't ever truly get over it.

Life is precious and short; we shouldn't waste it on negativity, that's for sure.

When I was in Ohio with my parents recently visiting his hometown, we also visited my mother's cousin and his wife who currently live near Dayton. The wife had put together the loveliest scrapbook you can imagine, detailing all of the family members for the past 200 years. It held not only photos and birthdates/wedding dates/death dates, but also little brief handwritten anecdotes about each member and sometimes newspaper articles (my great-uncle was a war hero and a movie was made about his battalion in WWII). There was a two-page spread dedicated to a Nancy, but it wasn't me... it was their first child who died at the age of 6 in 1952 from a bad reaction to an inoculation. The memories of all these people, including her, were kept so vivid to everyone by this book - decades later. I hope one day, when I'm older, I can make one like that.

ticky
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Soda, That is kind of what I am doing as well. I inherited my Grandmother and Great Aunt's treasure trove of pictures, documents and letters dating back as far as 200+ years! Suddenly I became the family geneaolgist but I cant tell you how much fun it's been. There was so much information jumbled up in two huge rubbermade boxes I spent the better part of a year just sorting it all and reading old letters.
One letter was written during the Civil War! It talked about the Yankees and the Rebels and a skirmish that broke out during a womens quilting bee at the local church. What fun it was to read the language and coloquialisms of the day and read first hand accounts of the Civil War! Not to mention diaries of crossing the Oregon Trail and stories of relatives that included names that are now names of local streets and neighborhoods! It was a real suprise to find those connections. Ive made several scrap books of ancestors and historical events related to them.

But I really love the idea of making something more up to date and including stories of the people now. I've been recording the stories told by my Aunts and Uncles and Parents. I lost my oldest relative last fall at the age of 99, but when I did ask him a year ago about certian events he said "I'm 99 years old! I dont remember that stuff!" hehehe
This is usually my fall/winter activity as I cant get outside in my garden/mudhole by October. So Im making a note of this and filing it till the Rainy season (next week? *grin*)

glenneaglesfan
08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
ticky and Soda, I am so impressed with the work you've done researching your families, and I am prompted to do the same before it's too late. My mother always used to reckon that one of her ancestors was the Lord Mayor of London, and my faher had a great-uncle who was the conductor of a symphony orchestra. I think I will make this my project for the winter (maybe starting next week!)

This evening marks the start of my husband's adventure doing the long distance footpath, GR20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_20), in Corsica. He left earlier, and both of us were a bit choked - it's the longest he's been away since he left the Navy in 1992. It means I'll have free rein to come here though!:twisted:

Molly
08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
This evening marks the start of my husband's adventure doing the long distance footpath, GR20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_20), in Corsica. He left earlier, and both of us were a bit choked - it's the longest he's been away since he left the Navy in 1992. It means I'll have free rein to come here though!:twisted:

Hope your husband has a safe and enjoyable adventure!

Awww, how sweet about both of you being a bit choked up for being apart!

My adventure to Pebble Beach was the longest I had been away from Steve (he'd been away on trips, but not the other way around). If I remember correctly, I got over being away from him rather quickly. Can't recall what or who it was that distracted me, though. :thumbsup:

Brooke
08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
SS and ticky, your family scrapbooks sound wonderful. I've started some of that myself and plan on getting more into it this winter, too. I had the opportunity to go to a library last evening and looked up a couple of events from the 50's that I had been curious about and was very pleased to actually find articles about them. That has spawned much more curiosity!

Gef, how long will hubby be gone? I know how it is as my hubby also has to be away part of the time for work. It can be a bit lonely, but I usually can find plenty to keep me busy and lots of time for being here, too! :nod:

ticky
08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
GAF and Brooke - I have some wonderful internet sites I'll share with you as soon as I get my computer back. SOMEhow I got a nasty little virus on it and it's D-E-D right now Grrrrr.... Cliffy (hubs) is going to work on it tonight then I'll send you some really helpful sites for research! It's a lot of fun.

GAF- Now that your hubby is off on such a wonderful adventure, it'll give you some time. It does sound like really exciting! I hope he has a great experiance. I know you'll miss him, but a little "me" time is always great! Have fun! (I suggest a pedicure/foot massage and a great book!)

Brooke
08-23-2008, 09:11 AM
That would be great, ticky! :)

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
So I really haven;t beend arund here in awhile because I'm getting ready for my last year of high school (classes and picking colleges.). I'm pretty sure once I get into the flow of school I'll be aroung a lot more.

Sodan and ticky: That's really cool. My aunt did one for my father's side of the family it turned out really nice had some really cool stuff.

ticky
08-23-2008, 02:14 PM
TGOS- My daughter is doing the same thing! This is her senior year too. Do you know where you'll be going to college? Jenni, my daughter, is thinking about Berkley but she has some good friends who are going to Portland State so she may end up there. That'd be better for me, I could actually see her occasionally!
I took Jenni to see the Farewell I concert when it came to Portland and she was a big Eagle's fan for a few years (I think she still is a closet Eagles fan. I peeked at her Ipod the other day *grin*) I know she likes to steal my concert shirt! If she touches my Joe shirt it could get ugly! *grin*
Good luck in school this year! Senior year is the best!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Ticky thats really cool. I'm thinking about WVU its about 90 mins from Parkersburg. Thats really cool that you took her to see them (me and my mom were gonna go but i had to have my tonsils removed and wasn't allowed to leave the house). If you were to go through my iPod you would find alot of Eagles on there, And i totally understand about the Joe shirt ;-)

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Gef, how long will hubby be gone? I know how it is as my hubby also has to be away part of the time for work. It can be a bit lonely, but I usually can find plenty to keep me busy and lots of time for being here, too! :nod:
Brooke, he's away for three weeks, and I am certainly going to find plenty of time to come here and look at all the Eagles stuff that I have!

Ticky, I'm looking forward to some 'me time' too!

GOS, good luck with your new term, and also to your daughter, Ticky. My younger son has just finished school and is taking a year out before university

TimothyBFan
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM
gef-good luck to your husband.

My mom has a lot of history of my father's side of the family that dates back generations that is really interesting. She has managed to keep in touch with several relatives in Germany that she communicated with when finding the info.

Mrs Henley
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
GEF, wish hubby good luck!

I read a couple of minutes ago that a girl who I know, did suicide ...
I talked with her a week ago and I missed her so much (that was the first time in 2 years that we talked again)... and now.. :'( I can't think now..

Mrs Henley
08-24-2008, 03:57 PM
gef-good luck to your husband.

My mom has a lot of history of my father's side of the family that dates back generations that is really interesting. She has managed to keep in touch with several relatives in Germany that she communicated with when finding the info.

Wow Germany, that's great! :)
My mom has somewhere in America some family, but she doesn't know them at all (a brother from her uncle or something like that). Actually I hope someday that I meet them and that I'm able to fly over to the USA and see you guys and of course the boys!

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2008, 04:15 PM
OMG, Mrs H, I'm so sorry. That is so hard for you to have to deal with. My thoughts go to her family and friends, including you.

ticky
08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Mrs. H - Im so sorry to hear about your friend. MY thoughts and prayers are with you and her family.

sodascouts
08-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Because the thread got so long, I split it into two parts - Part 1 is here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87

sodascouts
08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
MH, I'm very sorry about your friend. I know what's that's like.

Mrs Henley
08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks GEF, Ticky & Soda!

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2008, 03:51 AM
GEF, Good luck to hubby as he does his long anticipated walk. I hope he has a great time on it. And I hope you are not too lonely. Enjoy all that extra Glenn :heart: time;-).

MH, I am so sorry about your friend :-(:-(. She must have felt very alone and frightened.

Good luck to all of our members who are returning to their schools and colleges this week, or whose kids are. I hope everyone has a fruitful year. GEF, I hope your son enjoys his well - deserved break after all the hard work he has put in.

My mom and sister did an extensive family history about 15 years ago culminating in a huge family gathering in Co Meath in 1994 and the publication of a small book about the family. And that was before the internet!! Good luc to those embarking on such a project.:smile:

TimothyBFan
08-25-2008, 08:13 AM
MH-How horrible about your friend-I'm very glad that you got to talk to her again before it happened tho.

ticky
08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
GAN- Wow! before the internet! thats a lot of leg work! Good for them! A very distant cousin did the same thing for a part of my family about 15 or 20 generations back (but that doesnt seem that far when you actually get into it)

We have a huge family gathering every year up at our cabin property. It lasts about 3 days wioth a lot of people camping and some of them styaying at the cabin or the bunk house or getting a room in town. It started as my sisters memorial (about 12 years ago) and one of her requests was that it be an annual family thing, so its up to about 70 people and it's a blast! We just had it a few weeks ago and we're heading up there again for the last hurrah of the summer, labor day weekend. Kind of sad to lock the place up for the winter. I'll post a picture of it sometime. IMHO it's the most beautiful place on earth *grin*

Mrs Henley
08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
MH-How horrible about your friend-I'm very glad that you got to talk to her again before it happened tho.

Yes me too.

Mrs Henley
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
GEF, Good luck to hubby as he does his long anticipated walk. I hope he has a great time on it. And I hope you are not too lonely. Enjoy all that extra Glenn :heart: time;-).

MH, I am so sorry about your friend :-(:-(. She must have felt very alone and frightened.

Good luck to all of our members who are returning to their schools and colleges this week, or whose kids are. I hope everyone has a fruitful year. GEF, I hope your son enjoys his well - deserved break after all the hard work he has put in.

My mom and sister did an extensive family history about 15 years ago culminating in a huge family gathering in Co Meath in 1994 and the publication of a small book about the family. And that was before the internet!! Good luc to those embarking on such a project.:smile:

Thanks GA!

College is also going well, I'm really tired now but I survived my first day! :)

Wow before the internet, that's amazing!

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm glad you survived your first day MH! Keep it up and get plenty of rest. the first week or so is always tiring.

sodascouts
08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
My first day back at work was good. I'm teaching three classes this semester and the kids look good so far! My students are overwhelmingly male, I guess because these are computer-oriented writing classes. In one class, I have 19 boys and 1 girl - and she's dropping!

ticky
08-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Sida! welcome back to work! Glad it went well. It's ashame there are so few girls in the tech-oriented classes though. Some of the best computer geeks I know are girls *grin* (im a self taught and hard earned computer geek myself!)

Mrs Henley
08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you GA! I'm glad too, it's hard business lol.

Soda, I'm glad it went good! Three classes, are it a lot of students?
Wow 1 girl, sad...:( Girls, go into the computer business! :)

ticky
08-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Sida! welcome back to work! Glad it went well. It's ashame there are so few girls in the tech-oriented classes though. Some of the best computer geeks I know are girls *grin* (im a self taught and hard earned computer geek myself!)

Ok, I forgtt my glasses when I typed this.. sOda.. see?? I can spell.. SODA.. got it.. (I need lasik.. sheesh)

Mrs Henley
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok, I forgtt my glasses when I typed this.. sOda.. see?? I can spell.. SODA.. got it.. (I need lasik.. sheesh)

Haha, everybody make mistakes, and the i and the o are next to eachother.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Soda - glad your first day of classes went smooth.

And MH, I am sorry to hear about your friend - how very sad. And GA, even though you posted in another thread, I want to tell you how sorry I am about the loss of your friend Mark as well. My thoughts are with you.

sodascouts
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
It really is a shame that more girls don't go into the tech fields. I agree with ticky that girls can be just as good at computers as guys. ;)

glenneaglesfan
08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Soda, good luck with your new term and classes.

ticky, lol about the glasses!! You and I must have reached that certain age!

My SO phoned tonight - he's two days into his marathon walk and has checked into a hotel for this evening - a rare luxury. We are missing him, but also enjoying some 'me time'!

ticky
08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
GAF ~ Glad your honey is doing so well and has the luxury of a hotel tonight! Also glad to hear how much you're enjoying your "Me time"

My oldest daughter scratched her eye saturday morning and by sunday morning it was swollen and hurt so bad she couldnt sleep or see! We took her to the Urgent Care Clinic. They gave her some eye drops that numbed her eye and told her to see an Optomologist monday morning. (That took 5 hours btw..) The next morning the Optomologist told us that we had waited too long and there could be possible infection! YIKES! they gave us antibiotics and pain pills. They also told us that the numbing solution they'd given us in the clinic was very BAD for eye injuries and it may have actually DAMAGED her eyes! I spent 3 hours in the pharmacy before going home. Then we spent the rest of that day dosing her eyes every 30 mins with antibiotics and every OTHER 30 mins with eye moisteners (so every 15 mins with something) and to top that off she's been on heavy duty pain pills for 3 days!
TODAY Cliff stayed home and took her to the doctor who told her to take ONE more day of antibiotics (a smaller dossage though so only 4 times a day..) and Cliff has been helping a lot. A small Mommy break from my hubs, bless his sweet little melon. Now if I can get him to take our OTHER daughter to swimming lessons, Mommy will really have some time off!! (I have beans to can! Im too busy! *grin*) Does canning beans count as "me time"? *grin* probably not, but hanging out on the border with your friends sure does!

Glennsallnighter
08-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Soda, I'm delighted your first day went so well and that you are happy with your classes, although I agree that there should be more women taking up those computer courses.

GEF, I'm glad to hear that your hubby's walk is progressing to schedule. I hope he enjoys his night in a hotel. I hope you enjoy YOUR night on the Border (Who got the better deal there I wonder???)

Ticky, That sounds like some ordeal for your daughter. I hope her eye recovers quickly. It is such an uncomfortable part of the body to injure.

And NO! Canning beans is NOT me-time, as it doesn't involve your feet being up, alcoholic beverages, soft music and a computer, book or guitar!! Do you think for one moment that if your hubby was left alone to mow the lawn or paint the fence that he would call it me-time? :hilarious:

Dreamer, thanks for your sympathetic words. As I said in a previous thread a very good friend and colleague of my husbands passed away peacefully in the early hours of this morning. I've known him about 12 years from the time before we were married. Paul has been asked to be one of the pall bearers at the funeral. Apparently Mark had made a kind of 'wish list' for his funeral and has asked for this. So as we will be attending his wake tomorrow and the funeral will be Thursday things will be just a little hectic around here for the next few days. Coupled with the fact that Laura returns to school on Thursday. Again, thanks to all of you (including MF who has been in touch with me by email) who are keeping Mark and his family in your prayers. :grouphug:.

DonFan
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I have been snowed under with assignments over the last two weeks, which is good to bring in some $$$ but I haven't had time to keep up in here. My apologies for not making personal comments to everyone, although I did finally get a chance to read the whole thread.

Soda, I'm glad your first day back at school went well. My daughter Bamagal began her second year at the U of Montevallo Monday too, the same day the area was under a tornado watch all day. We have been pelted by rain that spun off from Hurricane Fay for almost a week now. Thankfully, everyone is safe and the sun actually peeked out this afternoon.
Ticky, that same daughter had a similar experience with scratching her eye when she was about 5. I was working fulltime then, so I sent her on to kindergarden and went on to work. I felt so bad when her teacher called and said she wouldn't even open her eye because it hurt so bad. We had to do the drops every few hours just like you, and fortunately everything turned out okay. The good news is the the Dr said the eye is one of the quickest parts of the body to heal.

glenneaglesfan
08-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Ticky, I hope your daughter's eye gets better soon. Sounds like quite an ordeal. My younger son had a blocked tear duct when he was a baby, so we got used to dosing him with eyedrops. Good luck with the beans! After a disastrous summer here I have no gluts of vegetables to deal with, but I do have a lot of apples to prepare.

GA, I'll be thinking of you and your friends over the next few days.

DF, good luck to Bamagla in her new term.

Brooke
08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
ticky, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's eye. It sounds awful. I hope she recovers completely and is back to normal soon.

I managed to burn my eye several years ago, so I can imagine the pain. Klutz that I am, the curling iron slipped out of my hand and managed to hit my eyeball! Just slightly, but it hurt awful and hubby had to take me to the emergency room. It teared so much that I couldn't open my eye at all. I just knew I was going to be blind. It all turned out ok, but I did have to have anitbiotics, pain killers, and a patch over that eye for 2 days. I was rendered helpless for 2 days! I knew then what it must be like to go blind and was so thankful when it healed quickly. And the doctor told me then that the eye usually heals very quickly.

And no, ticky, canning beans does not count for me time! I've done that and it is NOT fun! I agree with Ga wholeheartedly! :hilarious:

sodascouts
08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Hope your daughter's eye gets better ticky - those things are terrible to endure!

Seems like everyone's keeping busy. Good luck to BamaGal with her studies.

"Me time" - fun. Working - not so fun. I can't wait for the weekend!

ticky
08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
We went to the Doctors AGAIN this morning but everything is moving along. He did say he didnt think it was healing as fast as it should but the doctor yesterday (Dr. Joe's (yes Dr. JOE!!! how cool is that?) little brother Dr. TIM!! bwhahahahahaha) said it was a ragged injury so it would take some time. DR. Joe said to stay the course with treatment and Jen is actually seeing out her good eye without pain so this is good news.

I actually really like canning so this is kind of fun, but it is also a lot of hard work. Mostly I get to spend some time in the garden picking stuff. Today it's tomatos and more beans.. IF it doesnt rain! AGAIN!

Thanks for all your well wishes. We're doing good!

TimothyBFan
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
A Little late on this but Soda good luck with the teaching and classes.

Ticky-glad to hear that daughters eye is doing better. Those are always painful and bothersome. My husband in notorious for eye injuries.

GEF-glad husband is doing well on his walking trip. That does sound like fun.

Mrs Henley
08-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Ticky - Hope her eye would be soon better!
Hahaha Dr. Joe and Dr. Tim? how cool!

Soda - good luck with teaching!

GEF - I'm glad he's doing fine!

I had a terrible day..yesterday it was a long and heavy day, we had to walk 2,5 hours through the city and answering some questions about art and monuments and whatever, we didn't walk but still it was long and boring.
Today I had an English and Dutch test, to see if you're good enough in those languages so that you doesn't have to follow extra classes (English was easy and Dutch sucked..how crazy is that?) and the 5 hours before that we didn't do anything, oh I forgot almost the fabulous color class... (fabulous..you're right..) and when I was finally home, my best friend called and said she was coming over because she had some great and funny news, so ok she came. And she told me that she had an accident 3 days ago and she broke her arm, and she's laughing of it..I couldn't follow her with that..
Tomorrow I don't have college, independence day or something in Groningen, so college's and schools aren't having classes! yeeh...
Good that was my intressting day..

ticky
08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Mrs. H ~ Yikes! sounds like a FULL day! Im glad you have a day off. We have monday off and we'll be going up to the cabin for one last good time before the summer ends. It's always hard to close it all up for the summer.

School starts the day after we get home so Jenni is worried about wearing an eye patch to school. Fortunatly she had her ID picture taken a few days befor she hurt her eye so she's not a pirate in her ID pic.

I hope your friends arm is alright! I cant even imagine what could be funny about an accident like that. But sometimes it's easier to laugh then to cry.
Have a great day off~

(could you imagine having Joe and Tim as your Doctors??? *grin*)

Mrs Henley
08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Aaah I hope Jenni her eye will be good before school! Thankfully she is not! Here they won't let you take a photo if you have something on your face. (you know what I mean) Wish her take care! and you all of course too :)

Yes indeed, it was really a full and busy day!
Yes indeed, I asked her why she was laughing about it, and she said she didn't know but it was funny.. I don't have a clue why.. but if she says.
I agree, you can better laugh than cry!
6 weeks plaster bandage (I hope I'm saying it alright!) and she's sitting next to me and she's still laughing.. strange girl :lol:

Thank you, it's gonna be great! Get my sleep back of the last few days! :)
Have a great day tomorrow with everything you gonna do!

(Oh yes, I could imagine that actually!)

DonFan
08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Could you imagine having Joe and Tim as your Doctors??? *grin*

I'd rather imagine playing doctor with Don. 8-)

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
HaHa me too DF

Mrs Henley
08-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Indeed DF! But if Don doesn't play for doctor than I'll choice Joe as doctor :lol:

ticky
08-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Im thinking our boys would be terrible doctors. Every time they came near you, your blood pressure would go through the roof and your temperature would rise!! I Know if Joe were taking my blood pressure, looking in my eyes or giving me a breast exam *grin* my reaction would NOT be normal *grin*

Is it inappropriate to grope your doctor??

Mrs Henley
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Hahaha I'm thinking that too Ticky!
Or if you just walk in and see them in a white coat, you can't think and speak anymore because it's one of them!

Molly
08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I work in a hospital, and we have a doctor who, if persuaded to wear a long wig, would look amazingly like Timothy. I call him "Timmy Doc" (behind his back, of course).

TimothyBFan
08-29-2008, 08:16 AM
I work in a hospital, and we have a doctor who, if persuaded to wear a long wig, would look amazingly like Timothy. I call him "Timmy Doc" (behind his back, of course).

Sneak up on him and get a picture- I want to see him!:)

I think I've mentioned before that every Saturday night a bunch of our friends get together with us on our patio and we have "album night". Everyone brings food and albums and we set out there till 2 or 3 in the morning listening to music and visiting. We have even named ourselves "The Vinyl Record Club":headbang: All our kids think we've gone wacky because we are up way past our bedtimes "partying"!!:laugh: But they love the fact that their parents are "cool" listening to rock and roll every weekend (my daughters exact words!). :laugh::laugh:

Anyways, all of us are taking a "field trip" tomorrow on the search for new vinyl. It seems that since we started this several months ago, none of us can drive by a second hand store, flea market or yard sale without stopping to see if we can find albums or records. So we figured we'd make a day of it this weekend and do it together. I hope I get as lucky as I did last weekend when I found all those Joe Walsh albums.

Brooke
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
That sounds fun, TBF!

Hubby and I sit out on our deck on weekend nights and put our stereo on "random" and listen to all our favorite songs. We have speakers out there. We have a 100 slot cd player and I recently burned all of our songs on individual cds. Some of them have 2 songs on them because we had so many faves from certain groups (one guess who one of them is!).

I think we may try your vinyl idea, too. As soon as I can find a used turntable! :thumbsup:

ticky
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun. The only problem we'd have is Hubby and my tastes are soo different. We both like Ray Wylie and the old Eagles stuff, but he LOVES Johnny Cash and really old Ozark-type country stuff, and my tastes bend a different way *grin* Most of the time, I cant stand his music and he doesnt care for mine. (The Ipod keeps the peace)

Prettymaid
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Hubby and I sit out on our deck on weekend nights and put our stereo on "random" and listen to all our favorite songs.

Add a bottle of wine and you've just described Hubby and me!

DonFan
08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. The only problem we'd have is Hubby and my tastes are soo different. We both like Ray Wylie and the old Eagles stuff, but he LOVES Johnny Cash and really old Ozark-type country stuff, and my tastes bend a different way *grin* Most of the time, I cant stand his music and he doesnt care for mine. (The Ipod keeps the peace)

You sound like my hubby & me. Our tastes are very different too.
And he used to like the Eagles a lot more before I fell for Don 8).
Go figure....:hmm:

Mrs Henley
08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
What a great idea's all :) Only I can't share them with some one here...hahaha.
A friend and I did last week an "Eagles Evening", OK, I don't think I have to describe what that contens! Grap all your Eagles music/dvd's and sit back and relax!

Today last day of school, goodness what a stress!
I figuered out that I'm not on the same line as the other kids with the projects (my whole studygroup isn't) so it's business this weekend....have to make 2 essays and a couple of projects and the most things were planned for today...sorry but we didn't know that! It's a whole difference between High School and College, we never had any idea! And teacher are always everywhere exept at the places you need them.
Wednesday was a terrible day!
The first 4 (!) hours our class wasn't planed in the timetable, so we were waiting on our teacher and finally our classteacher came and she stayed with us the first 2 hours and the other 2 hours we were just at school and doing nothing...

I can't say now: Yeeh Weekend..:(

Anyway, how are you all doing? :)

glenneaglesfan
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry you've got a busy weekend, MH. Relax when you can and put some Eagles music on!

TBF, your vinyl evenings sound excellent fun. We normally have the radio on (quietly) on our rare fine evenings out, and occcasionally hit the jackpot - I mean anything Eagles related! Our vinyl player has been consigned to the loft, but I still have a few select lp records in my cupboard.

Molly, your doc sounds the business!

ticky
08-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I cant find my glasses so Im wearing my sun/reading glasses inside.. does that make me cool? I think not..

Mrs. H! Wow! sounds like a terribble day! Im glad it's over for you! And happy weekend! I had a professor drop me from a work study program once after he said I missed the meeting he set up but forgot to tell me about. I was working (free, gratis, no $$$) in an adolescent group home for kids placed there by the court. They were NOT thrilled to be there, often were in danger or at risk for injury by themselves or others and the place was highly resented by the families of the kids so was kind of hidden. It was NOT a fun semester. Fortunatly I found another professor who was interested in keeping this program going so she took on my workstudy. I wouldnt have graduated without it!

I think my oldest daughter kidnapped most of my vinyls except my Billy Holiday, Ellea Fitzgerald and Stan Getz stuff *grin* Momma knows what to hang on to. I didnt have any Eagles vinyl :( but Im trying to talk my brother into giving me his Joe collection from way back when *grin* I still have my old analog turntable and it hooks up nicely to the old stereo! I wonder if I could break it all out again?? hmmmm...

ticky
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
We're headed out of town for a few days today. Last hurrah in the mountains. I'll be back on monday. (Wildthyme is going too! Woohoo!! I think we'll be sittin in the creek singing Eagles songs *grin*) I'll check back before I leave (Im gonna go through keyboard withdrawls!!!)
See.. uh.. read y'all Monday!

sodascouts
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Have fun!

Mrs Henley
08-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Have fun and sing a lot of Eagles songs! :)

Glennsallnighter
08-30-2008, 06:53 PM
As many of you know a number of recent events have kept me away from the board apart from a few quick squizzes this past week, so forgive me if I have left anyone out!

TBF PM and Brooke, those summer evenings sound idyllic! And I'm sure the music is perfect. Good luck acquiring more of it TBF!! I'm afraid this summer if we had tried anything like that we'd have been rained off. I think the only nice evening we have had recently was the day the kids went back to school!

Ticky and DF! I know where you are coming from with the 'Hubby' issue. Mine is into different music to me, although he has made very favourable comments recently about the music of a certain..... Mr.......Glenn :heart: Frey! Have a great weekend with WT Ticky!

MH! The first few weeks at college can be hard to settle into both from a staff and students level. Hang in there. I hope you get your projects done.

My BlackBerry phone has finally died. I'm hoping to get another as then I can transfer the data that is saved on it to the new one (Thank God all my Glenn :heart: pics were on a memory card), but I havent gotten it yet. So apologies to anyone I email who isn't aware of this problem. I have my sim card in another old phone but I can't hack the texting on it. Please bear with me! I'm not ignoring you girls because I want to!!!:grouphug:

glenneaglesfan
08-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Aw, sorry about your Blackberry, GA. It doesn't seem long that you've had it. Things are not built to last these days.

I went to see my parents yesterday. They live about 45 minutes away in Dartmouth, a beautiful town on the south coast of Devon. Their house has a view over the river, and one of the highlights is the annual Regatta when there are loads of boat races, a funfair, fireworks, and a flying display by the Red Arrows. These are a couple of pics from two years ago, with my old camera, but you get the idea.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/Regatta009.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/Regatta020.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/Regatta008.jpg

It was the first reasonable day this August, and everybody had decided to come, so five miles from the town I was in stationary traffic. Luckily, a little local knowledge, and a map, allowed me to find a detour through very narrow country roads and I saved over an hour waiting in the queue. About an hour before the display, a sea mist rolled in up the river and at the due time we heard the roar of the aeroplanes, but couldn't see a thing. To their credit, they tried several flypasts, but visibility was nil, and sadly they went home without giving their display. Later on there were fireworks - you could see the lower ones but all the spectacular rockets disappeared into the mist...what a shame for people that had come specially.

Next day, I thought I'd take my folks out to lunch - they are both getting quite forgetful and don't get out very much. My dad felt a bit under the weather and then we noticed a rash on his cheek which looked like shingles, so our trip out ended up being a 15 mile round trip to the out of hours doc where dad was prescribed antibiotics and felt a lot better for having a diagnosis. I'm home now, but I worry about them. One of the things I do when I go over is check the fridge (I know, interfering daughter) and this time I threw three cartons of months old coleslaw and some green beans that had turned black. I need to go over more often.

Brooke
08-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Great pics of the red arrows, gef! Too bad they didn't get to put on their show though.

That was nice of you to take your parents out for lunch, but too bad your father got ill. I'm glad he will be ok.

I know what you mean about the aging parents. Mine are 76 and 82 and are getting along pretty well although I can see them failing more and more. Of course, I can see myself failing somewhat, too, and some things just don't come as easily as they used to! :laugh:

Mrs Henley
08-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Great pics GEF!

Hope your father will be soon alright! :)

sodascouts
08-31-2008, 04:21 PM
GA - ack about the Blackberry! But at least you salvaged what was important!

GEF - sorry about your father getting ill, and it's a shame the Red Arrows didn't get to do their show. At least you got to spend some time with them - it sounds like they could use an extra visit or two.

Prettymaid
08-31-2008, 07:31 PM
I know what you mean about the aging parents. Mine are 76 and 82 and are getting along pretty well although I can see them failing more and more. Of course, I can see myself failing somewhat, too, and some things just don't come as easily as they used to! :laugh:

Today we went out to eat in honor of my parents' 56th anniversary. Although they are both in good health now, I do think about the passing of time and hope they will remain in good health for a long time (he's 80 and she's 73). Unfortunately, it seems that at this age (my age) we begin to finally face the fact that we're not immortal.

Freypower
08-31-2008, 08:05 PM
I went up to Newcastle for my 30 year class reunion.

Newcastle gets more rundown every time I visit. I was used to the lower end of the main street being full of closed or 'for lease' shops but I didn't expect most of the shops in the central shopping mall to be 'for lease'. It was like the EOTI video. The centre of gravity has shifted from the previous main street to the street above. There were a couple of weddings taking place with photos being shot in the park opposite the town hall, so that was a positive sign.

Out to my old home suburb of Merewether for the reunion. The Beach Hotel is on the seafront and I stood for a minute, smelt the sea and remembered my childhood.

Only two of my really close friends were there in a turnout of about 60. I probably didn't talk to as many people as I should have. None of them had changed a great deal, except a couple of brunettes were now blonde. One of my friends is a teacher's aide and the other, to my delight, runs the office of the Federal Member for one of the Newcastle electorates (constituencies). She was in the House of Representatives the day PM Rudd apologised to our indigenous people.

It was funny to hear about their grown up children (one of whom I got to meet briefly when I was driven back to the hotel) all leaving home and having jobs. I started late in this regard and my daughter is not yet ten.

It was a good night but I can't see there being a forty year reunion. I have to say it was a relief to return to Sydney.

Brooke
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
The Beach Hotel is on the seafront and I stood for a minute, smelt the sea and remembered my childhood.

Awwwww, this nearly brought tears to my eyes, Fp. I can nearly see you standing there.

All in all, sounds like you had a good time. It's good you went.

Brooke
09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
It's Labor Day here in the http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/sflag171.gif
so everyone has a federal holiday. Well, most anyway! So rest up, workers, and enjoy yourselves today! Funny, this holiday was created for the working man for a day of rest, but lots and lots of people have to work today and if they don't they don't get paid! Hmmmmm.....

I'm off to an end of summer bar-be-cue for a few hours at the m/i/l's. Have a raw hamburger anyone? A couple of the b/i/l's tend the grill and it's a standing joke that the burgers are never cooked! :yuck: I usually go for a hot dog! :soda:

glenneaglesfan
09-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Lol, Brooke, at our BBQs it's usually the opposite - burnt offerings! Enjoy the good weather on your holiday. Any hope that September might bring an Indian summer have been thwarted today - it's blowing a hooligan outside and I'm about to light the woodburner.

Fp, I can imagine how you must have felt seeing your home town in such a state, but at least the sea was there. I went to a 20 year reunion at my old school, and it was fun to catch up with some old friends, but there is no one I keep in touch with regularly. If they hold another, I might go.

Husband's 'great trek' through Corsica has been held up for a couple of days when all the party went down with a virus. Luckily they were at a hotel rather than some bothy up in the mountains and those who were feeling ok took a minibus 1450 metres down to a beautiful beach for a swim and a bit of r&r. They are back on track today and have reached the highest point on the route at 2200 metres (twice as high as anywhere in the UK).

Younger son sat his A levels in June, and was predicted to do well. When his results came out he had dropped a grade in his main subject, English, and was really disappointed as he had worked so hard. We decided to appeal, and today he heard that his paper had been remarked to give him an A grade! He has contacted his first choice university, and is still waiting to hear back from them.

Prettymaid, 56 years is pretty cool for your parents. Mine celebrated 59 years in July. Btw, thanks all for the kind words about my folks. I've just phoned them and Dad is feeling much better, and I'm planning to visit more often now.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
09-01-2008, 02:08 PM
GEF - its good to hear that your Dad is better.

So the first week of school was crazy. I'm pretty sure that everyone but my history teacher are in it to ruin my life lol. Everything is ok though, however I'm not suppost to be in Debate but they put me in there and will not let me out (grrrrrr). I cannot believe that I'm almost done with high school next week we get our order forms for our cap and gowns. How much longer til graduation.

p.s. It's 169 school days away lol

Mrs Henley
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
GEF - that's good to hear! :D Wish him all the best :)

GOS - Almost graduation...wow!!! It's really a good feeling, and a kind of bad feeling! You can rock girl! :)

My day is fabulous! I woke up with Don his voice (forgot to turn my mp3 player off..lol) and at school there was just Eagles and Don!
And a friend of me, who I didn't saw for 3 years called this afternoon at school if I could meet him after school, so I did and he had a suprise for me. A selfmade 'poster' of Don! (he's doing the same study as I do only other college) the poster is A4, but that doesn't matter...it's Don <3. It was really fun! And now I have to make my Project Management and have to Photoshop a couple of things (homework....jug) anyway, I'm feeling good :)

TimothyBFan
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
gef-hope everything goes well with your parents. As many of you know, I have been dealing with that for awhile myself. It's not easy watching your parents decline. Glad to hear your father is doing better.

The phone rang with more bad news on Friday. My husband's closest friend, who is a close friend of my husband's whole family and is the godfather of our 2 children died early Friday morning. He has been in poor health for a year or so now. He had gotten heavily into drinking a few years ago when his wife filed for divorce and just declined severely over the last year or so. By the time he was taken to the hospital his organs were shutting down and there was no hope. So many of us have tried and tried to get him help to no avail. The old saying that you can't help those who won't help themselves is so true. In the last couple of months he quit his job after 30 years and closed himself into his house and just faded away. So sad for all of us that loved him but none of us were able to get thru to him. One more loved one gone to add to the growing list from this past year. Life goes on for the ones left behind tho and so we carried on with most of our weekend plans.

Us and our friends did do our hunt for more vinyl on Saturday with a bit of success. This weekend tho I only found one Eagles album (Desperado) for $1.00 and also found two 45s for $.50 each. Found a couple of Sweet 45s also. All together, between 4 couples, we came home with about 40 albums, 20 45s and a few 8 track tapes. I bet we spent no more that $75.00 between all of us, had lunch, enjoyed the trip out together and finished off the day on the patio listening to our newly aquired lot while eating great food and having a few drinks till the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Glennsallnighter
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
GEF, that air display looks fantastic. Pity it couldn't go ahead this year. I hope your dad recovers soon and is feeling better. And I'm delighted to hear that your son's exam was upgraded. I hope he now gets his first choice college.
Meanwhile I hope your hubby manages to finish his trek without any further incident. I was in Corsica in 1999 and I must say those beaches were indeed spectacular.

Yes, Soda! I managed to salvage the most important part of the BB! My memory card! But I've lost all my addresses:-( and phone numbers. I had also saved those emails that I had sent you from London last March. I used to reread them to bring back some of the magic.

MH, what a nice day you had, its true! A good start is half the work. I hope you and GOS have a great year this year.

FP! I'm glad you had a good night for your reunion, but I suppose the further away from school we get the harder it is to fing common threads. I know how you feel when classmates talk about grown up children. I experienced that too at my reunion, and mine still seem like babies!!

TBF, I'm very sorry for the loss you husband and his family have experienced in the death of their friend. It sounds like despite the efforts his friends made his last few years were not happy ones for him. I'm sure he is at peace now.

GEF and PM, Your parents are fantastic people to have lived so long and experienced so much. Mine are 50 years married, and I can see my dad slowing down at this stage, tho' mentally he is still as clear as a whistle. It is being suggested that he have a hip replacement done. We'll have to see.

And at the other end of the age spectrum......Chris my younger child started primary school today. He was only in for about 90 minutes, but he has a longer day tomorrow. He looked so cute in his uniform

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/DSC01280.jpg

And with Mommy......

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/DSC01277.jpg

Freypower
09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Those are beautiful photos GA.:)

ticky
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow! gone for just a few days and I missed so much!

GAN, What adorable pictures! He's a cutie for sure! He looks just like you! My Sarah starts Kindergarten tomorrow, well actually she gets to meet her teacher and see her classroom tomorrow all in the safety of Mommy's hand *grin* but she starts earnestly on the 4th. My 17 yr old starts her senior year on Wednesday *sigh* I seem to remember doing this just a few years ago with her. It goes way too fast.

GAF. What fun to see the air show! We used to have one here at a local airport but it had to stop when a few accidents occured and a couple of people were killed. I used to sit in the back yard and watch the blue angels and stunt planes dive and swoop. It was a lot of fun but VERY noisey! Your pictures are wonderful!

Mrs. H and GOS - Have a great year. It sounds like it's getting off to a good start! and Mrs. H, Im glad to hear you're having some better times. Last time I read your posts, you were having a real rough time. Keep Don handy on an Ipod or CD player and it can never get too bad *grin*

FP ~ I know what you mean when you say it was funny to hear all your friends talking about adult children. I have a 5 yr old and most of the people I went to highschool with are becomming grandparents! *I* dont think of myself as that old *grin*

TBF, It was hard to read your post. Depression is a very hard thing to deal with and to loose a loved one to depression and self abuse is an awful thing. Im very sorry for your loss and my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

GF and PM, My parents just had their 51st anniversery. They actually dont cellebrate it anymore. They just note it and usually run off to the cabin for the weekend.. hmm.. come to think of it, maybe they are celebrating it *grin* We had a big Fiesta for their 50th last year. Two of my mother's cousins were married within two weeks of her and my father's sister just a week after so we had a huge party for them all (celebrating their 200th anniversery.. collectively) It was very informal, but a lot of fun.

Ok, so we're back from our last big hurrah at the cabin and while it was really beautiful, the weather wasnt. It was kind of sunny off and on but COLD! and windy and it rained like crazy saturday night. It would have been pretty romantic if Cliffy was a snuggler, but he's definatly not the snuggly type. *sigh*
Wt brought some down right sniful cookies and I had my 'pod and a few good books, not to mention some great conversation and we did manage to get out and LOOK at the river, if not dangle our toes in it (it was pretty darn cold). It was gorgeous today when we left(of course) but school/work tomorrow so off we went. WT and I did plan a girls weekend in October with another friend at the cabin. There definatly wont be any toe dangling then (cold and the river's too big then) but maybe some wine and Eagles and chic flicks *grin* and NO KIDS! (yea!!)

Brooke
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
TBF, I'm so sorry about your husband's friend. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

And Ga, what cute photos of you and your son! He's adorable! Good luck to him, and you!

My parents will be celebrating their 60th anniversary in October and we are planning a party for them. The didn't want to do anything at first, but we've finally talked them in to it. We had a family gathering for their 50th and want to have an open house for the community this time. I think when you've managed to stay married for that long, it's worth a celebration. My Mom made the comment that all their friends are dead and no one would be there! I quickly named several that were still going strong! :)

Mrs Henley
09-02-2008, 03:19 AM
TBF - I am so sorry for the lost!!! Hope your husband and the family of his friend are doing well.

GA - I love Chris! What a cutie! I'm glad he enjoyed school yesterday!

Ticky - 250 songs of Don and the Eagles, included a lot of live versions! lol! :)

Mrs Henley
09-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Brooke - that's a nice idea :) 60 years, wow! Hope you all have great time in October! :)

DonFan
09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
GEF, love those pics from the air show. I am right with you, PM & Brooke with worrying about my aging mom. Brooke, it is fantastic that your folks are about to celebrate their 60th! Congratulations in advance!

FP. glad you had a pretty good time at your reunion. People can change a lot through the years.

Ticky, that cabin getaway sounded wonderful.

TBF, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Your record-hunting trip sounded like it was a great success, though. I went through that a couple of years ago when we renovated our den. I hung movie and concert posters on one wall, and covered the wall behind our couch with framed records. Most of the records came from my own personal collection (I am a MAJOR pack-rat and a sentimentalist--I save most everything!) but I did have to hunt for a few replacement records that my ex took from me in our divorce :-x. My display includes my Hotel California album (now autographed by Joe :)), The Beatles Sgt Pepper, Janis Joplin Live, Springsteen Born in the USA, and several others.

GA, your son is adorable. Good luck to everyone in their studies as school is now back full-swing.

My youngest finally got a job at Newk's Cafe, a little sandwich & salad shop closeby, and worked her first shift yesterday. She came home very tired but is already planning how to spend her first paycheck.

ticky
09-02-2008, 10:32 AM
!
Ticky - 250 songs of Don and the Eagles, included a lot of live versions! lol! :)

Yup *grin*

glenneaglesfan
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
TBF, so sorry to hear about your husband's friend. It's so hard when people are unable to fight addiction, even with the help of friends. My sympathies to you all. On a lighter note, your vinyl searching sounds a lot of fun. I check the charity shops from time to time for Eagles records, but have never had any luck. Like you, even if I already had them, I would 'rescue' them!

GA, Chris looks so proud of his uniform, and he even has a little tie - so cute! They are lovely pictures! I remember the days my two started and now my younger son has finished school for ever!

Ticky, your cabin sounds beautiful. You must show us some pictures one day!

Brooke, it's wonderful that your parents have managed nearly 60 years of marriage and they truly deserve some celebration. The open house sounds a lovely idea.

DF, your den must be inspirational to work in! I'm glad your daughter has found a job - my son is still looking.

Mrs Henley
09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
DF- Glad she found a job! I have to look also for one...

sodascouts
09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
It's amazing how our community has grown - I can hardly keep track of everyone nowadays! But I'll give it a shot....

FP - sorry your reunion trip didn't turn out to be that great. I know how you feel. It's just been 10 years since I graduated from college, but my parents visited and wrote me an e-mail about how a lot of places that I used to hang out at are now closed. It makes one sad!

MH and GOS - good luck with your school years.

GA - your son is absolutely precious in his little uniform! Adorable!

GEF - too bad about your husband's expedition having a bit of a roadblock there, but hopefully it won't slow them down more than a little while.

DF - glad to hear your youngest got a job. I know you've been worried about that!

Ticky - I'm jealous of your cabin trip. Sounds lovely!

To all those with parents who have managed to make it past the 50 year mark - kudos to them! My parents also celebrated their 40th anniversary last year in 2007.

Finally, TBF, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend - I know it must be hard to feel so helpless when you are not able to get a loved one out of his pit of despair. What a terrible shame. :( I'll say a prayer for the family.

ticky
09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I just posted a bunch of pictures of the cabin and the river in my photoalbum if anyone wants to see!!

Mrs Henley
09-02-2008, 04:05 PM
MH and GOS - good luck with your school years.

thanks Soda! :)

Mrs Henley
09-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I just posted a bunch of pictures of the cabin and the river in my photoalbum if anyone wants to see!!

I will check them out!!!!!!

sodascouts
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Lovely photos, ticky!

glenneaglesfan
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
ticky, thanks for posting those photos! What a beautiful place you have. We have a 'second home' in Cornwall. It's part of a holiday camp, but a nice two storey house, and we enjoy going down in the winter to maintain it.

Freypower
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Here I am at the reunion:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Reunion2.jpg

I probably said too much about how the old town has declined but it preys on my mind even though I never liked the place and couldn't wait to leave.

Glennsallnighter
09-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments about Chris. He does look so cute in his uniform, but in so many ways he is still like a baby! I can't believe he is in school already. But so far it is going well for him! Fingers crossed. Of course Laura is well settled back at this stage.

Ticky, that cabin looks absolutely gorgeous, and even if the water was too cold to enjoy properly, the scenery is a feast for the eyes. GEF, your place sounds lovely as well. We have a couple of Rental properties but don't tend to use them ourselves. I would love a little cottage retreat in the West of Ireland - Clifden, where I worked many moons ago to be precise, but its not on the cards yet.

GEF, I'm delighted your son was upgraded to the result he deserved. I hope he now gets his college of choice.

DF, I'm sure your daughters spending plans will far outweigh the value of her first cheque, but its still fun planning!! MH, I hope you too manage a job. Your Den sounds lovely! I would love to have one room here just FULL of Eagles stuff!

FP you looked great at the reunion. I understand how you feel about your home town.

TimothyBFan
09-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Ticky-love the cabin. My husband & I said that is the kind of place we want to retire to. Looks very tranquil.

Brooke
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
You look very happy and to be having a good time there, Fp! I know what you mean about the town. The very small town (pop.-about 200) I work in (and lived around all my life) has gone downhill, too. Things will never be the same. :-(

Ticky, your cabin is just lovely and the flowers are beautiful. Looks very tranquil and a great place to go for r & r.

Gef and DF, I'm glad your kids have found jobs. My son has also found one, finally, and starts this week. It's not great, but it's a start. It's hard when he has 4 or 5 years of college and no one wants him. He was getting kind of depressed at one point and said to me, "Why doesn't anyone want to hire me. I'm a good guy. I'm a nice person. I'm not a loser." It's hard to know what to tell them. Today, you pretty much have to know someone to get that foot in the door.

Good luck to all those back in school. Stick with it and study hard. (I'm sure your parents have already told you that! :idea:

glenneaglesfan
09-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Fp, that's a lovely picture and you look like you're having fun there even if it was a bit sad to see your home town so run down.

Brooke, good luck with your son and his new job. My younger son is still looking for work - he's had three interviews but no luck so far - it's the same old story - not enough experience.

I'm taking the two of them over to Brittany (the nearest bit of France to us) this weekend. We could all do with a short break. We would have camped normally, but the weather forecast isn't great, and I think a hotel sounds more appealing! It's a six hour crossing by ferry, and I'm going to have to do the driving - on the right! We'll have some good food and will stock up with French specialities (cheese and wine spring to mind!), and if there's a glimmer of sunshine we'll find a beach and swim.

Brooke
09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Brooke, good luck with your son and his new job. My younger son is still looking for work - he's had three interviews but no luck so far - it's the same old story - not enough experience.

I'm taking the two of them over to Brittany (the nearest bit of France to us) this weekend. We could all do with a short break. We would have camped normally, but the weather forecast isn't great, and I think a hotel sounds more appealing! It's a six hour crossing by ferry, and I'm going to have to do the driving - on the right! We'll have some good food and will stock up with French specialities (cheese and wine spring to mind!), and if there's a glimmer of sunshine we'll find a beach and swim.

I know what you mean. And just how are they going to get experience if no one will hire them? Good luck to him. Maybe he will get one of them.

And have a nice trip. Sounds nice! :)

Glennsallnighter
09-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Brooke! I'm so pleased that your son has found a job which hopefully he can build on. I remember so much the late 80's early 90's when I started looking for a 'real' job, ie one where I could use the qualifications I had studied so long for (Not to take away from those part time jobs that kept me going while I was studying). But it was so hard. The goalposts kept changing. If you had a degree, they wanted experience. If you had both they wanted 'evidence of independent research' (:roll: where did you get time for this when you were studying and working part time as it WAS!!), or other skills such as computers or driving, which were expensive to attain in those depressed times. Then there would still be quite a large number going for only a few jobs. It really did hit on the self worth and self esteem, end of things and it hard not to just drop out of the whole thing. There were times I was ready to just give up! I hope your son enjoys his new post.

GEF! I hope you and the Boys have a great time in Brittany. I'm sure the driving will be no problem. Hopefully bring a bit of sunshine this way!!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Brooke - I'm glad Your son found a job.

As i write this I am also working on my first stamp for my AP English Protfolio, an trying to forget about the test i just failed in that class.
Other then that things are good.

Glennsallnighter
09-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Well keep working hard GOS. Hopefully you will pass the next one :thumbsup:. And hope the portfolio goes well for you as well.

TimothyBFan
09-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Tomorrow is the home and season opener for my beloved Fighting Irish football team!!! Tickets are a hot commodity in this area going for hundreds of dollars every year no matter how bad they are playing (believe me after last season-anything will be an improvement:thumbsdown:). My nephew's girlfriend gets tickets from work to take clients and she had one extra ticket for tomorrow and my nephew hates Notre Dame, so she called me because she knows I am a fanatic, to see if I wanted to go with her!! Well duh!!!! Great seats, down close to the field in the "real" seats, not the bleachers for free! Yippeee!:yay:
I hope I don't embarrass her in front of clients. She's been to games with me before so she knows how insane I can get at sporting events. I will try to be on my good behavior and be an :angel:. :hilarious:

Brooke
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Good for you, TBF! Have a great time! :-D

tbs fanatic
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM

I have not checked in here in ages and am way behind on everything but this caught my eye, ticky. My hubby LOVES Johnny Cash and the old Ozark-type country music - Ha! We should get them together :hilarious:

ticky
09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
tbs ~ that could be scarey!! *grin* I really like some of that stuff. The soundtrack to Oh Brother Where Art Thou and Cold Mountain were terrific but when he gets out the stuff that sounds like whoever's singing it is on the verge of death (like in the song by Earl Stanley, Oh Death) it's a little disarming and creepy.

tbs fanatic
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
:rofl:I know what you mean :rofl:

DonFan
09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
My Eagles buddy in OK is going to the Tulsa concert tomorrow night, so after I talk with her I will post the highlights. She has 2nd row seats, lucky dog, and she just emailed and said she was trying to decide what to wear to attract Don's attention. She jokingly said she might wear a McCain t-shirt. That would get his attention all right! :laugh:

OH, how I wish I was going with her, and I wish we knew someone who was going to Don's Democratic fundraiser concert tonight. It will be a really great weekend in Tulsa!

Brooke
09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
My Eagles buddy in OK is going to the Tulsa concert tomorrow night, so after I talk with her I will post the highlights. She has 2nd row seats, lucky dog, and she just emailed and said she was trying to decide what to wear to attract Don's attention. She jokingly said she might wear a McCain t-shirt. That would get his attention all right! :laugh:

OH, how I wish I was going with her, and I wish we knew someone who was going to Don's Democratic fundraiser concert tonight. It will be a really great weekend in Tulsa!

Surely he would have made a comment if she had worn that! Too funny!

I wish you were going too, DF! :-(

ticky
09-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Surely he would have made a comment if she had worn that! Too funny!

I wish you were going too, DF! :-(

I'm envious of y'all who get to see our boys! Be sure to blow kisses to Joe for me!

Today Sarah's home with a bad cold but I think I may haul her out to the farmers market to buy some vegies for canning. It's in my blood. Something this time of year says "MUST PRESERVE FOOOOOD" so I'll get some corn and more beans (since all my bean vines are DYING argh..) and maybe peaches, but because of the wet weather they're having to bring them in from upstate and I'm really kind of .. eh... about that.. I have about 5 gallons of sauce tomatoes so I'm roasting and saucing and canning those today too.

Thats my day *grin*

Brooke
09-05-2008, 04:15 PM
ticky, that just sounds like more fun than I can handle! I love all the fresh produce, but not the work that goes in to preserving it. I might do that when I retire. :yuck:

Get well soon, Sarah.

Toonlass
09-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Just a little update-WM and I are Aunties again! Our oldest sister had her second child on Tuesday, called Rhiannon. She was a heavy thing at 9lb 2!!! Both mum and baby are well and at home now.

I guess its another one WM and I will have to get into Eagles music :yay:

Prettymaid
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Congratulations Toonlass. Sounds like she might become a Stevie fan, too!

ticky
09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Just a little update-WM and I are Aunties again! Our oldest sister had her second child on Tuesday, called Rhiannon. She was a heavy thing at 9lb 2!!! Both mum and baby are well and at home now.

I guess its another one WM and I will have to get into Eagles music :yay:

Yea TL!! Congrats to you and your Sis!! Thats a big baby! hope sis is recovers fast *grin* and I always say, start 'em on the right path as early as possible! I was actually putting headphones on my belly and playing The Eagles and Linda Ronstadt to Jenni. I sang to Sarah (Eagles songs of course *grin*) but she was a high risk pregnancy so I mostly slept and kept my feet up.
Thing is, Jenni listens to this new Alternative crap (Gak) and Sarah listens to the Wiggles... go figure...

sodascouts
09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Wonderful news, TL - congrats to you, WM, and of course your sister! What a lovely name, too. :)

Toonlass
09-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the congrats, I look forward to spoiling her rotten :partytime:and handing her back at the end of the day! That now means I have four nieces and two nephews...its a good thing I like kids-though I reckon Christmas is going to be crazy!!!

Brooke
09-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Congratulations Toon! Love the name, too. Rhiannon is my daughter's middle name! :thumbsup:

Good luck to mom and baby.

Glennsallnighter
09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Well congrats to your sister TL and to yourself and WM. Glad that mom and baby are doing well. I suggest a nice cd of slow Eagles music / Glenn :heart:ballads. Then if Rhiannon takes a while to get to sleep, her mom will enyoy the experience as well.

TimothyBFan
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Congrats to your sister and her family TL--love the name:)

Had a great time at the Notre Dame game yesterday--they WON!! I love that campus but it sure has grown a lot the past 20 years. Hadn't walked around it much for about that amount of time and it sure has changed but still as beautiful as always. If any of you get to South Bend Indiana--please take the time to tour the Notre Dame campus. It is the most beautiful campus.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/NDGoldenDome.jpg

http://www.irishlegends.com/image/jun03/BandbookGuard.jpg

tbs fanatic
09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Congrats TL on becoming an Auntie again. My nephew and his wife have just had their first baby (a boy) - it is so fun to have a new baby in the family.

ticky
09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Well Congrats to you too Auntie tbs!! Im afraid Im all done having neices or nephews since my brothers daughter is 22 now. Although she has a serious boyfriend!! so who knows.. (I AM NOT READY TO BE A GREAT AUNTIE!! sheeesh..) Enjoy all the babies!! they are a lot of fun when you can hand em right back to Mommy!

sodascouts
09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Congrats to you and your nephew's family, too, TBSF!

My youngest sister is pregnant again - her baby is due at the end of the year. That'll be my fourth time as an aunt - one niece and three nephews (or two and a half right now, I guess)!

Glennsallnighter
09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Aww, Thats great Soda! I hope everything goes well for mom and baby! Are they all the one family or spread through several?

sodascouts
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Spread out - I have two sisters. The eldest has two sons (Noah is 5 and Austin is 2) and my youngest has a 2-year-old daughter named Sophia and a new son on the way. Yes, both sisters were pregnant at the same time a couple years ago. That was pretty crazy!

glenneaglesfan
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Catch up time again - a lot happens over a weekend! Soda, great news about your sister. How does she know it's going to be a boy?

Toon, so pleased to hear you and WM are aunties again, and Rhiannon is such a pretty name. Keep up the good Eagles education work!

Ticky, I am in awe of your veg preserving! Does canning involve preserving in glass jars, and getting up to microbe killing temperatures? My veg efforts are pathetic. I had some half decent tomato plants this year, then used a watering can to feed them that had previously (unbeknown to me) had a lawn 'feed and weed' preparation - doh! Slugs eat everything else we plant. I have a nice herb bed though.

TBF, so glad your team won and you had great seats. I love going to big matches (I'm a rugby fan). The campus at Notre Dame looks very peaceful. It reminds me of an Oxford college over here.

We had a fun short break over the sea in Brittany. Despite the weather we enjoyed a visit to Oceanopolis in Brest, had a very good meal out in Roscoff, and the boys even managed a swim. And at no time did I try to drive on the left!

Toonlass
09-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the congrats and congrats to you (and you family) too TBSF!!

Soda-congrats to you and your sister! Being an Auntie is lots of fun isn't it?!

GEF-well done on your not driving on the left!!!

I shall certainly do my best with my Eagles educational programme for children :nod: ;)

ticky
09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Ticky, I am in awe of your veg preserving! Does canning involve preserving in glass jars, and getting up to microbe killing temperatures? My veg efforts are pathetic. I had some half decent tomato plants this year, then used a watering can to feed them that had previously (unbeknown to me) had a lawn 'feed and weed' preparation - doh! Slugs eat everything else we plant. I have a nice herb bed though.

We battle slugs ruthlessly here too. By late summer though it's a lost cause to battle them plus everything is so huge and out of control it doesnt matter if the slugs eat the leaves.
Yeah, I can in pint and quart jars and process them in hot water or pressure canner depending on the fruit or veg. I finished the corn and beans yesterday. I have more tomato sauce and peaches to do today but Ive been shopping *grin*

I went in to Victoria's Secrets today and they were playing "Turn To Stone"! how cool is that?

We had a fun short break over the sea in Brittany. Despite the weather we enjoyed a visit to Oceanopolis in Brest, had a very good meal out in Roscoff, and the boys even managed a swim. And at no time did I try to drive on the left!

It sounds wonderful! *G* and good driving!

DonFan
09-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Congrats Toonie and WM, and Soda, congrats to your sister, too! New babies are so wonderful.

Freypower
09-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Congratulations Soda, Toon & WM.

Here is Rosalind in her True Love shirt - I promised to post this ages ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/RosalindTrueLove.jpg

This is actually a couple of days after her 9th birthday last year.

ticky
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
FP, she's adorable!

sodascouts
09-10-2008, 12:31 AM
What a cutie!

Glennsallnighter
09-10-2008, 04:37 AM
TBF I'm delighted your team won the other day. Belated congratulations to them.

Soda! Sounds like your sisters are having a hectic time at the moment, but its great that all the kids will be so close in age to each other. They will be able to be friends (I see multiple sleepovers in my crystal ball!!)

GEF, I'm glad you enjoyed your mini break with your boys in France and that the driving went so well. Its great that they managed to have a swim as well.

Ticky, I'm very impressed that you have mabaged to do all that canning. Sounds like you will have a great supply of preserves for the winter.

And FP That is a VERY cute photo! Of course you know I am referring to Rosalind. (although there is one on the fridge to her left which is also a very cute photo :wink:) I love her top. She is a gorgeous little girl.

glenneaglesfan
09-10-2008, 06:53 AM
FP, that's a lovely photo of Rosalind - she's adorable!

I think I may have seen a similar t-shirt here. Did it come from a UK affiliated store?

Brooke
09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
What a cutie Rosalind is, Fp! I love her shirt, too! Thanks for sharing that with us!

09-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Well - I haven't posted in this thread in quite a while because I've had so much going on in my life that time has been at a premium lately. First of all, congrats to all of you aunts. I'm an aunt too so I know exactly how all of you feel. And FP - Rosalind really is such a doll.

I had to share this little story with all of you. My pc has been rather sick lately. I thought I could get it well myself, but because of the aforementioned lack of time, I haven't had much success. Anyway, I finally decided to call in a pc doctor yesterday. He came out to my house. As he was working on his diagnosis, my wallpaper kept glaring him right in the face. Now, my wallpaper is my picture that I had taken of me and Glenn at Pebble Beach (of course). The pc doctor kept looking at it, and finally he said "Is that your husband?" When I heard those words, I didn't know whether I was going to faint or pee in my pants. All I know is that I haven't recuperated yet!!! :dizzy: :shock: :twisted:

glenneaglesfan
09-10-2008, 06:09 PM
dreamer, that is so funny!!! Oh, how many of us would wish to be in the same place! Mr Frey marked down as our husband!! Kudos on your PC doctor not to take it further!!

(It reminds me of the time I got a cd stuck in my disc drive. I found a friendly computer guru who dismantled my laptop and retrieved the errant disc. He drew it out and said "Glenn Frey? Never heard of him." Grrr. Actually it was The Allnighter. In some ways I was pleased he didn't know it!:blush:

sodascouts
09-10-2008, 07:16 PM
LOL! That's great, Dreamer!

Freypower
09-10-2008, 08:41 PM
FP, that's a lovely photo of Rosalind - she's adorable!

I think I may have seen a similar t-shirt here. Did it come from a UK affiliated store?

Pumpkin Patch, if that means anything.

Glennsallnighter
09-11-2008, 04:13 AM
Dreamer, what a Hoot! :hilarious::spin::lol: The stuff dreams are made of!

I notice you seem to have pleaded the 5th however :wink:

We have Pumpkin Patch over here. I love their stuff.

TimothyBFan
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Dreamer--To funny!!:hilarious::hilarious: But you didn't tell us exactly what you said to him in return--hmm? Spill the beans!

ticky
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Dreamer, next time in a completely staight face just say "yes, yes it is." like He's going to know? hehehehe

Glennsallnighter
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Now thats a great idea Ticky!!

Mrs Henley emailed me. She asked me to say she is having computer problems and can't login to the site at the moment. :worried:. But she says Hi to everyone and is looking forward to returning when her computer is fixed.

Prettymaid
09-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I thought Mrs. H had been MIA lately...:hmm:

09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Okay guys - I just gave y'all a condensed version of the pc doctor conversation to keep it short in my earlier post. So here's how the conversation actually went down. The pc doctor had told me earlier that I looked familiar to him. So when he asked me about Glenn, he said something like "I think I've seen y'all before - is that your husband? As much as I wanted to say it sure is - I decided to come clean. I said "No, that's Glenn Frey, one of the guys in the Eagles - you know Take It Easy, Lyin' Eyes, The Heat Is On." He said, "Oh yeah, no wonder he looks familiar - I've seen him on stage." Then, of course, he wanted to know how I know him - all the usual stuff. That's when I cut the conversation short and just told him I'd met him at a golf tournament. I didn't feel that he needed any other information beyond that. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
That's too funny, dreamer! If I ever had to name a picture I think I would casually use the same links as you - "You know, the guy that sings Take It Easy, Lyin' Eyes etc"

Very cool that your pc doctor has seen them live.:)

GA, thanks for the info on MH, I'd noticed she was missing too!

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Cool story Dreamer. I bet you were aching to say he was your husband!!

I don't get much chance to talk about Glenn :heart: but if I DO get a chance I also add THIO as a song that he sings.

I met a friend for coffee yesterday, she wanted to see what my new phone looked like so I had to hand it over. When she saw Glenn :heart: resplendant in pink she just burst out laughing commenting the most people have their kids as wallpaper but that she could see where my priorities lay!! And that was AFTER POMPOY had played as a ringtone!!

Mrs Henley
09-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Now thats a great idea Ticky!!

Mrs Henley emailed me. She asked me to say she is having computer problems and can't login to the site at the moment. :worried:. But she says Hi to everyone and is looking forward to returning when her computer is fixed.

GA, thank you for posting! :)
I'm making a quick stop on my parents computer to say Hi to your guys!
I'm missing you :(, But I'm hoping my computer will be soon fixed and than I'm back! :)

Prettymaid
09-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Mrs H. :wave: We miss you!

Mrs Henley
09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Miss you all too! It's so quite around here now, I'm not allowed to talk about the Eagles or Don :( (mom and dad gonna be crazy of it!).

Anyway, I hope that I'll be here back somewhere around upcoming week so I will reply to everything then! :)

DonFan
09-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I've been out of town taking care of my mother--I will get caught up here soon, everyone!

Mrs Henley
09-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I've been out of town taking care of my mother--I will get caught up here soon, everyone!

Take care with your mother DF!!!

ticky
09-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Take care with your mother DF!!!

Hey Mrs. H! good to hear from you! Hope your computer gets fixed soon. We missed you at the chat party.
Take care of yourself!

Mrs Henley
09-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey Mrs. H! good to hear from you! Hope your computer gets fixed soon. We missed you at the chat party.
Take care of yourself!

Hi Ticky!
Yes me too! I hate sharing computer with other people, hahaha.

glenneaglesfan
09-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Sorry about your computer, Mrs H.

Hope your mother is doing ok, DF.

My other half is home now after three weeks away. That means much less time here, but it's good to have him home safely. Back to work for boh of us today. Hopefully will have a chance to catch up soon.

ticky
09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok, so the UPS guy shows up on our doorstep yesterday with three packages. One was a part for the fridge Cliff ordered a long time ago and the other two were books from Amazon for Jenni. When she came home I told her her books had come. She said she hadn't ordered any books so we were curious! She opened one and she said "Well, it was on my wish list, but I didnt order it." so I started searching the inventory slip to see who had sent it (thinking a gift from Grandma or something) and it was from THE AUTHOR!!! It was billed to him via mastercard and had his return address in NYC! so go figure! The guy has a blog site so we checked it out and he said he buys 20 of his books from amazon and sends them out randomly to people who want them every so often! Jenni got two! It was a very cool coincidence!
The author is Tao Lin and the books are called Bed and Eee Eee Eee (both kind of bizzare metafiction but look like good reads. I'll read em!)

Glennsallnighter
09-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Well GEF! I'm sure you are glad your SO arrived home safely and are enjoying catching up! Tho' I'd say you are being selective in what activities you are telling him about!!

Ticky! How cool for Jenni! I hope you both enjoy reading the books!

TimothyBFan
09-19-2008, 07:12 AM
That's really cool Ticky!!! What a clever idea by that author.

DonFan
09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Those tricky writers will come up with anything to get you to read their stuff. ;)

I'm off to the beach wedding! Cross your fingers for no rain on the FL coast this weekend, and to those of you attending Eagles concerts, have a blast!

Prettymaid
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
:bye: Bye DF! Have a safe trip and a great time!

Brooke
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Have fun DF! :bye:

ticky
09-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Hope the weather holds out for you DF! have a great time!!

TimothyBFan
09-19-2008, 10:12 AM
DF-the beach sounds like a good place to have a Peacful Easy Feeling-hope the weather holds out for you. Enjoy!!!

sodascouts
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
That is SO cool ticky! What a great idea by that author.

DH - have fun at the beach! Don't get a sunburn. ;)

glenneaglesfan
09-19-2008, 12:33 PM
DF, have a safe journey and fun at the wedding! Hope the weather holds for you.

Ticky, that's very cool for Jenni to get books from the author. What a great idea!

GA, you are so right! What I tell hubby is on a need to know basis!

Toonlass
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, I had to go to my doctors today, I fell over at work last week and hit my shoulder, collar bone, elbow, wrist, hip and knee. I've had pins and needles in my hand for the last few days so decided it was time to see the doc. She was quite surprised that my employer didn't send me to the hospital, as she wants me to have an x-ray. There is a slight chance I've broken something, but its more likely I've damaged the tendons, so will need physiotherapy. At the moment I'm doing everything with one hand (my right is the one I've hurt and I'm right handed) so I'm feeling a bit useless at the moment, I can't even open the tea caddy!!!!!

ticky
09-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Awe TL! Im so sorry!! I hope you're ok!! Thats awful! I hope its something simple that can be fixed easily! I'll be thinking bout you!

Toonlass
09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks ticky, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, so I'm listening to Long Road Out of Eden and eating cookies....the cookie packet is one thing I can open!! :partytime:

ticky
09-19-2008, 05:46 PM
hehehe good for you!! I hope they're oreos!! those are the best "feeling sorry for yourself" cookies and who needs two hands to open a cookie wrapper? one hand and teeth!! thats all!

Prettymaid
09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
:woah: Wow Toonlass, that's terrible! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Glennsallnighter
09-19-2008, 07:13 PM
GA, you are so right! What I tell hubby is on a need to know basis!

......and he doesn't need to know!!

To quote my own hubby!!

DF Have a great time at the Wedding. I hope the weather holds out for you.

Toonie, you poor thing. I hope you haven't done anything serious to yourself. At least you have your priorities right!! I guess its easy enough to open a cookie pak!!

sodascouts
09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Aw, TL, you poor thing! Rest up and treat yourself all you like. I have to say, I'm impressed with your one-handed (and the left hand at that!) typing skills!

Toonlass
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys, definitely have got it sussed....my boyfriend is doing all the cooking and he bought me a chocolate bar when he was out :thumbsup:

I'm fairly ambidextrous so I'm not suffering too much in terms of not having my best hand (well, apart from not being able to write, as my left handwriting is awful) but it is awkward not being able to help with the housework :wink:

Prettymaid
09-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Cookies, chocolate bars, no housework... it must be just awful Toon!:wink:

Glennsallnighter
09-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Dreadful :wink:

ticky
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Well Toony, so much for feeling sorry for ya! *G*

I spent half od today at the Farmers Market down town. We took the Max Train (the local transit system) into Hillsboro and bought some gravenstien apples (the absolute best for apple pie!! guess whats for dessert!!) Asian Pears (yum!) and fresh baked Chala bread. I also looked at guitars! *G* I got to play with a Gibson Les Paul standard yesterday *G* color me happy!

The other half of today I spent working on an image Im trying to put on a t-shirt, but Im not having a whole lot of luck because the transfers I have are crap! If anyone has any suggestions on HOW to do it, pleeeasee let me know. its getting VERY frustraiting!!
My SIL works for Xerox in development and she has a printer that uses a wax based ink. It *may* work as an iron on transfer, but we're still testing. IF I find something that works I'm more then willing to share! and even make OTHER images! So come all ye forth who knowith WHAT the heck they are doing!!
My Joe Shirt (http://www.tickypages.com/JoeWalsh/joetshirt1sm.jpg)

btw, on the back will be the URLs for joewalshonline and eaglesonlinecentral
or, thats the plan.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Toonie--hope you aren't having it to rough. Sounds uncomfortable thats for sure.

Ticky--cool shirt! One of a kind. Got any Timmy? You ought to take orders from us and sell them.

ticky
09-20-2008, 09:53 PM
TBF, Let me see what I can do with Timmy design wise. As far as the shirts go. I'll see how the SIL does with a print, if that works, I wont charge anything but what it *might* cost me, if it doesnt work, I found some transfer paper that sounds like exactly what I want and I'll order some. IF that works, again, just cost *G* I like to share with my friends

glenneaglesfan
09-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Toon, sorry about your injury, but it sonds as if you are being well looked after!

Ticky, that t-shirt image looks great. Good luck finding the right transfer paper. I just used cheap inkjet transfers for the ones I made (see Eagles memorabilia). The are ok but don't really take much washing before they start to break up.

ticky
09-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks GEF,
Im still working on it. We'll see what my SIL comes up with.
Anyway, Timmy Fans how's this?
http://www.tickypages.com/JoeWalsh/timmytshirt1sm.jpg

This is the small image. the Transfer image is much larger and prints out at about 10"x7.66" I can always tweak it if you think it needs it! It *should* come out on a white or gray tshirt as a line drawing, and ofcourse the back has the URL to timothybshmitonline.com and eaglesonlinecentral.com

TimothyBFan
09-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Ticky--That is beautiful!!!!:thumbsup: Keep us posted!!! Love it!!

sodascouts
09-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Ticky, it's very nice of you to want to put the URLs of the sites on the T-shirts! However, I think we'd better leave them off because I don't own the images and I don't want anyone to misunderstand if they see the shirt.

Lovely image choices! :)

ticky
09-22-2008, 12:57 AM
What ever you say, Soda :) you da boss!! *G*

09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Ticky - those are gorgeous sketches. They will make awesome t-shirts. You go girl!

(OBTW - any Don and Glenn sketches?)

And Toonie - sorry about your injury. Hope you are as good as new very soon!

ticky
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Dreamer.. i was working on a Hollywood Waltz kinda pic with Don and Glenn (im sure you're familiar with the image im talking about) but Im not happy with it just yet. I NEED a photoshop plugin Im still shopping for to get the effect I want for it. I may switch tactics and go for another shot completely. Well, we'll see! I'll post it if I ever get it to do what I want!! *G*

09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
And I'll be 'eaglely' awaiting that! :D

DonFan
09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I am back and it was a great wedding. The entire weekend was sunny and beautiful—we could not have asked for prettier weather for a beach wedding. We all put our sandals in bins at the edge of the boardwalk and stood in the sand in our bare feet. The groomsmen wore white linen pants and open-collar shirts, and the bridesmaids wore white sundresses and carried pink Gerber daisies, and Jennifer, the lovely bride, wore a strapless gown that laced up the back and had a long ruffled skirt. Other than the fat guy floating in the water right behind us during the ceremony (it WAS a public beach after all, and thankfully the photographer said he could photo-shop him out), the ceremony was perfect.

Now I am off to catch up on all I mssed here!

Brooke
09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds beautiful DF. I'm glad you had a good time.

Can you believe the nerve of the guy floating? How rude!

Prettymaid
09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Welcome back DF. Glad you had good weather and it sounds like it was a beautiful wedding.

DonFan
09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Sounds beautiful DF. I'm glad you had a good time.

Can you believe the nerve of the guy floating? How rude!

Seriously. He was an older guy whose swimsuit was tucked under his big ol' belly--if we HAD to have a swimmer out there, why oh why couldn't he have been some good-looking guy like Michael Phelps? Dream on! :laugh:

Brooke
09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
:rofl: Too funny, DF!

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Sounds like an idyllic setting for a wedding DF. I'm glad you had such a good time and that the weather held for you as well. Enjoy catching up!

Prettymaid
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I went shopping today and as I was browsing New Kid in Town started playing. I wanted to yell out, "HEY, I'M GOING TO SEE THESE GUYS TOMORROW NIGHT!"

Probably good thing I didn't. :blush:

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh I would have. Interesting, as I read your post Glenn :heart: is singing NKIT and he's wearing red! lol!

Enjoy yourself tomorrow night. :bye::bye::bye:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
09-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow guys I've missed alot I haven't been around here in a while.

I thought i would drop by and say hi since i finally got a minute to do so.

Everything here is going really good. I can't wait for the Eagles in Pittsburgh cause mom said we could go.

I just wanted to say that I miss you all and will hopefully get time to hang around this weekend.

glenneaglesfan
09-24-2008, 03:43 AM
Welcome back, GOS, and that's exciting to hear that you are going to see the guys in Pittsburgh.

DF, glad to hear the wedding went well. Too funny about the fat guy though!

PM, very cool to hear NKIT, and have a great time TONIGHT!

GA, hmm, Glenn in red, would that be Christchurch?

We finally had a weekend of fine weather, and on Sunday my younger son got to use his birthday present, which was a trial flying lesson. We turned up at our local airport in Plymouth, and as an added bonus the instructor allowed his brother to go with them as a passenger. They had a brilliant time. They flew right over our house, then down to the coast over all the villages in the South Hams which both boys know well. Mark took the controls for a while, and Phil took photos. All in all, a very successful present!

On a sad note, our dear friend and neighbour, who was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer earlier this year, has only a few weeks to live. He is home at the moment, but very weak. Please hold John and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Brooke
09-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I bet your sons were thrilled with the flying lesson, gef! Very cool!

I'm so sorry about your friend John. I'll keep him close in my thoughts and prayers.

Toonlass
09-24-2008, 03:53 PM
GEF-so sorry about your friend, he and his family are in my thoughts.

DF-the wedding sounds like it was lovely....but I have an image now which I really rather hadn't :headshake: ;)

I'm going for an X-Ray on Friday as I'm still having problems with my shoulder...my doctor thinks I have damaged the tendons, but she needs me cleared of any fracture first and then she can refer me for physiotherapy (assuming my shoulder is given the all clear).

Brooke
09-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Good luck with that, toon.

Molly
09-24-2008, 04:26 PM
DF, at first I was thinking it was one of the groom's friends being a joker. An older guy...lovely. Well, at least he wasn't wearing a Speedo.

Toonie, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Injured shoulders are tough, it's hard to find a way to be comfortable. I hope your doctors can help you.

gef, sorry to hear about your friend. He's in my thoughts and prayers.

My sister, Donna is holding her own with her battle with cancer. Miraculously, x-rays show it hasn't grown at all from the small tumor that was left after her surgery. Her overall general health, however, is really poor. She takes a lot of joy in her 4 year old grandson, Christopher, who has moved closer to Donna (along with his dad, my sister's son).

My niece is also battling an aggressive cancer right now. She's right in the middle of her chemo/radiation treatments. Sadly, the cancer seems to be very advanced. She just turned 39 years old a few days ago.

Both my sister and niece could be poster children for NOT SMOKING!

On a more upbeat note. Hubby got a job offer from California yesterday. Near San Jose. Hmmm, let's see...that's fairly close to a certain golf course, if my memory serves me.

It has to be an outstanding offer for us to make this kind of a move. Though, truthfully, I have my fingers crossed. A drastic life change may be the very thing we need right now. I don't know how I would leave my boys, though. But, they have their own lives here in Wisconsin.

Brooke
09-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Yikes, decision time, Molly. That would be very tough to leave your boys behind.

I'll keep you and your sister and niece in my thoughts and prayers.

tbs fanatic
09-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh Molly, you have a lot going on. It will be quite a change to go from Wisconsin to California but as you say it could be really great change.

So sorry to hear about your sister and niece - fingers crossed their treatments go well.

Glennsallnighter
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Got it in one GEF :thumbsup:! Christchurch indeed! It reminded me of this years Summer!
I'm glad that the boys enjoyed the flying lesson so much. It must've given Mark a great thrill to fly over your area.

Toonie, I hope there is nothing serious wrong with that shoulder. Take care girlfriend:hug:

Molly, that is some decision you and your hubby will have to make, although proximity to a particular golf course would be an important factor. I know how you would feel leaving the boys, but remember as easily it could be one of them going to California as well.

I will keep your neighbour in my prayers GEF and your family members who are ill as well Molly.

GOS, hope to see you soon again.

ticky
09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
DF, How funny about the guy in the water! Although I imagine if it were my wedding it probably wouldnt be so funny! Maybe they should have hired a bunch of really great looking guys in speedos to float around out there! but then that would have taken a lot of attention off the bride *G* Oh well, the rest of the wedding sounds like it was wonderful tho!

Toonie, Take care of that shoulder but hey! at least you'll need lots of help with the house work for a while *G*

GEF, your friend John is in my prayers. I am glad you and your sons have had some great times! What a wonderful birthday gift!

Molly. Im sorry for your sister and your niece. There's been so much awful cancer in my family in the last 20 years I've been living with it for a very long time. Not smoking related, no,. this is all inherent and, therefore, I have to be very careful. It's an ugly distructive desease and Im sorry they have to go through it.
On the other hand, Wisconsin to San Diego is a HUGE change! and having to leave your boys is awfully hard. BUT San Diego is where JOE LIVES!!! *G* (that'd cinch it for me.. but thats me *G*) I would imagine your boys would love to come visit! I hear its beautiful there *G*

I've been roasting tomatoes all day and baked a batch of apple tarts and its very strange. Did you know if you roast tomatoes and bake apple tarts the house smells JUST like you're roasting a turkey!! Its like Thanksgiving in here!! Go figure! I think the family will be terribly disappointed when I serve tacos for dinner... Oh well *G* at least they have apple tarts for dessert!

Perfect Little Sister
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
On a more upbeat note. Hubby got a job offer from California yesterday. Near San Jose. Hmmm, let's see...that's fairly close to a certain golf course, if my memory serves me.

It has to be an outstanding offer for us to make this kind of a move. Though, truthfully, I have my fingers crossed. A drastic life change may be the very thing we need right now. I don't know how I would leave my boys, though. But, they have their own lives here in Wisconsin.

Add to that a partner in crime just up the road a piece!:thumbsup:

glenneaglesfan
09-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Thanks to you all for your prayers for John. I know it means a lot.

Molly, I have been thinking about Donna, and I'll keep holding on that the tumor stays in remission. I'm very sad to hear about your niece, and hope that she can get through the treatment. As for the job offer, it would be a huge life change, but I remember a certain young man making a similar move in the late 60s, and look where he is now!

Toon, hope the xray doesn't show up a fracture, and that your get better soon.

ticky, you sound like a domestic goddess with all your food preparation! All I've had to do is cook and freeze apples (and give a lot away). We get a weekly box delivery of local organic veg which is usually enough to last without resorting to the supermarket.

sodascouts
09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
John and his family are in my prayers, too, GEF.

Molly, I'm sorry to hear about your niece. I knew your sister was struggling, and while I'm glad to hear the tumor hasn't grown, it's a shame she still has to suffer. But the niece, and only 39 - wow. That's only 6 years older than I am.

A move to California would be pretty exciting, though! After my visits to Monterey, I think the place would be a great area to live in... of course, it's pretty expensive to live there, too. Still, I wouldn't be adverse to it! ;)

Toon - thanks for the health updates. Here's hoping you heal up quickly!