Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Director Loses Movie Deal Due to Vulgar SNL skit about Glenn

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Default Re: Director Loses Movie Deal Due to Vulgar SNL skit about Glenn

Wait, that's the guy that directed Anchorman!? That's one of my favorite movies!

This was funny, but yeah I don't get either why they picked him. I gasped at the "better than Joe Walsh" line! Wow, ballsy.

Most actors consider it an honor to have a skit about them on SNL...It was pretty dumb, but people know this has nothing to do with reality....
    They said there the reason they picked Frey was to add the Miami Vice part into it.

They do skits on Presidents, & they don't get bent out of shape over it.
    Have you seen Mick Jagger on there, playing a TAMPON for the Queen of England????...They have done tons of stuff on the Stones, Beatles, everyone.

This is SNL, they can do pretty much whatever. People know that was Will Ferrell. I didn't think it was too funny, but I doubt Frey would actually sue over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Most actors consider it an honor to have a skit about them on SNL...It was pretty dumb, but people know this has nothing to do with reality....
    They said there the reason they picked Frey was to add the Miami Vice part into it.

They do skits on Presidents, & they don't get bent out of shape over it.
    Have you seen Mick Jagger on there, playing a TAMPON for the Queen of England????...They have done tons of stuff on the Stones, Beatles, everyone.

This is SNL, they can do pretty much whatever. People know that was Will Ferrell. I didn't think it was too funny, but I doubt Frey would actually sue over that.

Doesn't mean that We have to like them. This Skit was disrespectful.

it's been a looong time since it was created and was aired, and I'm sure all parties have moved past it now. I think being in the entertainment business has given Glenn a thick skin and that these type of things don't bother him much anymore. And the skit was just so odd and absurd and out-there (even for Adam McKay)--I don't think anyone took it too seriously.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The question "Why Glenn?" reminds me of the currently running, recurring SNL Lindsay Buckingham character in the "What's Up With That" sketch. Why Lindsay Buckingham? Where did that come from? It is so random and absurd, my husband and I laugh at it every time. The actual Lindsay Buckingham actually came on once and played himself. Nothing profane or nasty about him though, just bizarre. BTW, in addition to Anchorman, Adam McKay is behind the "Funny or Die" website.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I just read back through the thread, and I've never seen anything elsewhere where Glenn said or did anything that even acknowledged the skit existed, let alone his feelings on it.

In the time that it was aired, regardless of who the characters were supposed to be, emulating the act of homosexuality, let alone sadisticly, was not acceptable on public TV. I'm not sure it was something you could even find on most cable channels (I certainly never looked for it). Anyway, it's my opinion that McKay lost the deal because of the content of skit and not who he chose Will Ferrell to be.

As for why the guy chose Glenn, I just always assumed it was a past grudge of some sort. Who wants to hire a guy that takes out perceived grudges in such a way on public TV?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

They said they wanted to put in the part about Miami Vice & that is why Glenn was chosen...I doubt it was any grudge, just some stupid reason. They do many things on that show that most can't get away with, yet they do!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    The question "Why Glenn?" reminds me of the currently running, recurring SNL Lindsay Buckingham character in the "What's Up With That" sketch. Why Lindsay Buckingham? Where did that come from? It is so random and absurd, my husband and I laugh at it every time. The actual Lindsay Buckingham actually came on once and played himself. Nothing profane or nasty about him though, just bizarre. BTW, in addition to Anchorman, Adam McKay is behind the "Funny or Die" website.
    You can tell the guy who does that impression is a fan of Lindsey. He even got his outfit nailed!

Sadly the guy who played him left, so we won't see that skit anymore. ::sniff::

If Glenn had gotten that kind of treatment, I would've thought it was pretty cool. You can tell the difference between the cool SNL portrayals and the crappy ones. Lindsey got the former, but poor Glenn got stuck with that latter, lol.

SNL really sucked for a while though so they were churning out a lot of crap at that time. They've gotten better although still not as good as they were at their zenith.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten