Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palin for VP

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Default Palin for VP

So what do you think of McCain picking Palin as his VP choice? Personally, I think it's going to derail him.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Palin for VP

I think it's more then a little insulting that the republicans chose a woman who has been governor of a small population state like Alaska for less then a full term as an answer to Hillary Clinton. It's like saying "Hey, she has ovaries, she's the same."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I agree. I guess I am old fashion in that even tho I work (at home fortunately) I believe a woman's family should come first and foremost. She has such young kids, the youngest only a few months old with Down Syndrome and now a 17 year old daughter who is pregnant. I believe she has some pretty big issues she should be dealing with in her family and it would be hard for any woman or man to deal with that when she will be all over the US and foreign countries so much if elected.
    Sorry if that offends anyone--but I am very proud of my children and the reason I believe they are turning out so well is because my husband & I have been hands on parents their whole lives. I know for a fact that they appreciate that also--they have told us that more than once.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I agree. I feel so sorry for her daughter who is now known WORLDWIDE as that '17 year old pregnant teen'. I have a 17 year old son and he's mortified if I say something he considers 'silly' to his friends.

I personally am pleased that a woman has been chosen for the VP slot. I think that sexism is the last "socially acceptable" prejudice for a lot of men. Sexist jokes still get laughs, but tell a racial joke and you're raked over the coals (rightly). All it takes is a look at the Democratic primaries to see what I'm talking about (and this is coming from someone who preferred Obama over HRC. Just because I wanted him to win doesn't mean I was blind to the sexist overtones of many of the anti-Hillary brigade).

I respect your opinion, Willie, regarding families - but I know that many people would not think twice about the father running for office. Is it really fair to hold women to a different standard? Perhaps you would also argue that the father should stay home, but most people would not, I'm afraid. Again, the "socially acceptable" prejudice.

Why do we assume she is a replacement for HRC? If McCain had picked a man, would we assume he was a replacement for someone?

I know it must be hard for the daughter, and I feel for her. Sadly, the state of politics is that anything is fair game, it seems. Cheney's daughter became a political tool; the Bush twins' escapades were front-page news; Clinton's brother Roger became known as the "embarrassing black sheep." What a shame. Of course, this is hardly a recent development. Remember Jimmy Carter's brother? Yikes! And I remember reading that John Adams, one of our early presidents, had an alcoholic son who was used against him.

There was a time when no one would ever pick a VP who had a pregnant teen. That person would be considered "tainted" and "condoning immorality" by not disowning the daughter. Isn't this a sign that McCain is not so judgmental? Many would consider that a good thing.

I think I'm going to move the thread, though. The "wonder at the powers that be" forum is for the sad stuff, and regardless of what you think of Palin, I don't think she's as bad as natural disasters, fatal illnesses, and school shootings!

I realize it's confusing because politics is indeed serious business - most of the time.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I personally am pleased that a woman has been chosen for the VP slot. I think that sexism is the last "socially acceptable" prejudice for a lot of men. Sexist jokes still get laughs, but tell a racial joke and you're raked over the coals (rightly). All it takes is a look at the Democratic primaries to see what I'm talking about (and this is coming from someone who preferred Obama over HRC. Just because I wanted him to win doesn't mean I was blind to the sexist overtones of many of the anti-Hillary brigade).
    I agree that it is wonderful that a woman has been chosen to be the VP candidate. My beef is with the woman chosen. There are so many other potential candidates more qualified who would have been better choices such as Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison from Texas or Governor Kathleen Sebelius from Kansas who were both on the short list and have more experience but were NOT ever voted Miss Alaska.

I think I'm going to move the thread, though. The "wonder at the powers that be" forum is for the sad stuff, and regardless of what you think of Palin, I don't think she's as bad as natural disasters, fatal illnesses, and school shootings!

I realize it's confusing because politics is indeed serious business - most of the time.
    Too true. Although I suppose you could consider the Bush administration as a definite tragedy *grin* ...just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I agree that it is wonderful that a woman has been chosen to be the VP candidate. My beef is with the woman chosen. There are so many other potential candidates more qualified who would have been better choices such as Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison from Texas or Governor Kathleen Sebelius from Kansas who were both on the short list and have more experience but were NOT ever voted Miss Alaska.
    I see your point, but I think Sebelius would be more problematic for a McCain ticket as she is a Democrat. Stranger things have happened, though!

Hutchinson was definitely a viable candidate; I think her age worked against her. McCain is criticized as "too old" by many and Hutchinson is only 7 years younger than he is. Since many VPs want to run for President as well, she'd be 73 when her turn rolled around, making her less likely to extend a Republican presidential streak should McCain win both this election and the next one. Such things have to be considered alongside factors like experience. If all goes as the Republicans hope, Palin could actually be the first woman president. How's that for irony?

And while Hutchinson was never Miss Texas, she was a prom queen and University of Texas cheerleader. Where do we draw the line at what is an acceptable derogatory stereotype - the ditsy, vapid cheerleader or the ditsy, vapid beauty pageant winner? (And yes, her prom queen/cheerleader status WAS used against Hutchinson in campaigns, just as Miss Alaska is used against Palin now). Honestly, I tend to shy away from stereotypes of any kind... although I admit I knew a few cheerleaders in high school who fit into them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

And while Hutchinson was never Miss Texas, she was a prom queen and UT cheerleader - where do we draw the line at what is an acceptable derogatory stereotype - the ditsy, vapid cheerleader or the ditsy, vapid beauty pageant winner? (And yes, her prom queen/cheerleader status WAS used against Hutchinson in campaigns, just as Miss Alaska is used against Palin now). Honestly, I tend to shy away from stereotypes of any kind... although I admit I knew a few cheerleaders in high school who fit into them.

Too true that we need to avoid stereotypes in any case. My point was more towards the fact that she was an attractive candidate and yes, young, in comparison to McCain, and my guess would be that this was more of a deciding factor in her being chosen then her ability to do the job.
    You're right about Sebelius being a Democrat my bad. But she was voted by the White House Project as one of the "8 in '08" as eight best female presidential candidates for 2008 along with Hillary Clinton, Hutchinson and Susan Collins of Maine who is also a republican and might have been an interesting candidate as well. Her fellow Maine senator, Olympia Snowe, also a republican was also on the list. Palin was not on the list. This doesn't mean she's not capable of doing the job, it's just that there were so many good female possibilities that seemed to have been passed by for a woman who's evident qualifications don't seem to be as obvious.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I voted for Hillary Clinton. I think any qualified woman should run if given the oportunity but I also feel that any WOMAN OR MAN should take their family into consideration first and foremost before making that decision. I don't think a father of a down syndrome baby and an unwed teen would be a good candidate either. Need to take care of home matters first. I agree with you Soda that their are a lot of double standards still even in these current times and I guess to extent I have been guilty of that also. I guess what I am trying to say is that I probably wouldn't have minded her being picked if I thought she was ready for the job at hand and her private affairs were in order. We have had presidents in the past with younger children but I don't recall any with these circumstances.

I feel that a big problem today is the fact that to many parents are just to busy with other things and careers instead of taking care of the most important assets we have for our futures. I can't think of a job that will take a parent away from a family more than that of a president or vice president of this nation.

Does this make sense or do I sound like I am rambling on?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Personally, I really like Palin and McCain's choice of her as his VP. I agree with a lot of her opinions/beliefs/stands on different things. I'm kinda tired of hearing the whole lack of experience thing though because Obama himself has very little experience.....his own VP said that about him when he was running his own campaign. But oh well.....whatever.....I hate politics lol