Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palin for VP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Palin for VP

I like McCain's choice also. From what I've heard of her she will be a very good VP. I can't imagine wanting the job and feel she has her work cut out for her, what with such a young family and the problems already lined out, but she's been doing it for awhile, so I guess she knows what she's up against.

I really don't care much for politics either, like Maleah.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I feel that a big problem today is the fact that to many parents are just to busy with other things and careers instead of taking care of the most important assets we have for our futures. I can't think of a job that will take a parent away from a family more than that of a president or vice president of this nation.

Does this make sense or do I sound like I am rambling on?
    I agree with you here, I myself get to be a full time Mom but we really have to work at it. Cliffy works for the state as a chemist and makes a decent living, but we budget tightly each month. If I were working it'd be the same because of the cost of child care so I get to be a stay at home mom. In a perfect world we would all get one of the parents to stay home with the kids, but it just can't always be. I have a good friend who's a stay at home Dad and he's a terrific Dad! I also have friends with grown kids. Both parents worked full time through out their childhoods and the kids were in constant day care. The kids are now all in college, two with full ride scholarships, and all are really terrific kids. Sometimes there's no telling what makes a kid a terrific person (having been a social worker I can tell you, sometimes it's just a complete mystery as to what makes one kid bounce back from the absolute worst possible childhood situation to become incredible person and another raised with the silver spoon become a murderer or rapist)

Parenting is, with out question, most important job a person could do, yes, but it's not always possible in the current world to make it the only job a person can do.
    As for the President/Vice President issue. Kids learn from example too. Can you think of a better role model then a parent who's the President/Vice President? Especially if they are the FIRST of something (Ethincally diverse, Female, Physically Challenged etc...)
    Sarah Palin does have some home issues she should probably tend too, but I can't tell another parent how to raise their kids. All I can comment on is her abilities to do the job she's a candidate for, and I do that with debate and my vote. *grin*
    (by the way.. I love to debate *grin*)

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

The thought of Palin possibly becoming President is seriously scary. McCain's age makes that thought a real possibility. That idea alone is enough to turn me off.

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic View Post
    The thought of Palin possibly becoming President is seriously scary. McCain's age makes that thought a real possibility. That idea alone is enough to turn me off.
    I think the question everyone who is considering voting for the McCain/Palin ticket needs to ask themselves is "can you accept this woman as president"? And from everything I have seen and read so far the answer is a resounding no! She has virtually no experience on the national or international level. Until July of 2007 she had never even been outside of the United States! She has been governor of a state with the 48th lowest population for less than two years and was mayor of a tiny town of 5500 people for six years before that. And as far as education, all she has a bachelor's degree in communication from the University of Idaho. How can anyone consider her even remotely ready to run this country if something happens to John McCain (which is a very strong possibility given his age)????

Stuck on the Border

I need to emphasise that I'm not American and therefore my perspective is different.

The choice left many Australians shaking our heads. Not because she's a woman or from a small state, but because again the Republicans feel that they have to kowtow to the evangelical Christian anti-abortion pro-death penalty (why don't they see a contradiction there)? pro-gun pro-creationist only-travelled-outisde-US-twice (and that was to visit American soldiers) brigade. Surely there are people in the Republican party who don't hold these views? Where are they?

As what Americans call a 'liberal' I don't like the Republicans' extreme conservatism. This is the party of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt, and they seem to have moved further and further right ever since Nixon (who on foreign policy I think some of them would see as a dangerous liberal).

The hypocrisy of Republicans who preach abstinence and then when their own child is what they would call 'promiscuous' turn around and say it's OK defies description. If it had been a Democrat they would have leaped on it with such alacrity it would have been scary.

So for me it's her beliefs which are the concern, not her family situation.

If I could just say that I am a huge Obama fan, as you've probably guessed, but I can understand why many Americans remain sceptical about him.

The hypocrisy of republicans who preach abstinence? What would you have her do? Disown her daughter because she made a mistake? I believe in abstinence as well, but that doesn't mean that people don't make mistakes and I certainly wouldn't disown or criticize someone who made a mistake. And what is wrong with republicans beliefs? I'm republican and yes I believe in abstinence, yes I'm against abortion, yes I have a gun.......I don't sit here and put down democrats opinions and beliefs and I'm tired of people from either side putting down the other. For ME...it's OBAMA's beliefs that are scary...but that's just my opinion. Regardless.....this is all opinions and it would probably be a good idea for me to stay away from this thread, as I'm in the minority and the arguments just aren't worth it

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Be who you are Maleah, We love you!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    The hypocrisy of republicans who preach abstinence? What would you have her do? Disown her daughter because she made a mistake? I believe in abstinence as well, but that doesn't mean that people don't make mistakes and I certainly wouldn't disown or criticize someone who made a mistake. And what is wrong with republicans beliefs? I'm republican and yes I believe in abstinence, yes I'm against abortion, yes I have a gun.......I don't sit here and put down democrats opinions and beliefs and I'm tired of people from either side putting down the other. For ME...it's OBAMA's beliefs that are scary...but that's just my opinion. Regardless.....this is all opinions and it would probably be a good idea for me to stay away from this thread, as I'm in the minority and the arguments just aren't worth it
    But Republicans from what I understand preach abstinence only when it suits them, and then as in this case suddenly they become very quiet about it. Of course she's not going to disown her own daughter.

As for 'what is wrong with Republican beliefs' absolutely nothing, from your viewpoint. This is the first time I've expressed my own political opinions here for a long time, so please note that I don't think I am 'putting down' the other side if I think that my views are as valid as theirs.

The thread was always going to stray from 'what about the effect on her family' to 'what about her beliefs' at some point. I probably should not say any more either, because I am not American, and I don't live there, so am not qualified to comment. I repeat that by American standards I am reasonably 'left wing'.

I'm with you, Maleah - please don't be worried about expressing yourself. We're all friends here!

I think we have to be careful before we summarily dismiss the beliefs of people who disagree with us. They have reasons for their opinions - their own life experiences, their own religious beliefs, their own values. It's upsetting how many people write off the other side as "ignorant" - "immoral" - "hypocrites" - etc. No party has the market cornered on righteousness; no party consists entirely of evil people out to destroy the world.

anti-abortion pro-death penalty (why don't they see a contradiction there)?
    And yet you don't seem to understand why the reverse could also be seen as a contradiction. I think we as a people should try to see where others are coming from.

pro-gun pro-creationist only-travelled-outisde-US-twice (and that was to visit American soldiers) brigade. Surely there are people in the Republican party who don't hold these views? Where are they?
    If you look beyond the stereotypes, you'll find them. But some people are content to put everyone in a box and label it "R" or "D" - then condemn everyone with the "wrong letter."

But Republicans from what I understand preach abstinence only in regard to Democrats
    Huh? What makes you think that?

It seems to me you've bought into a lot of stereotypes. As has been said earlier, that's not a good thing.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. There are good people on both sides of the aisle. Both Obama and McCain seem to be decent, capable men (to me, at least). They are both trying to do what they feel is best for our country. Their supporters are only trying to get the person elected who they feel will best govern our country. Why are we so quick to condemn others when we all want the same thing - a prosperous, safe, and healthy country?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I told myself yesterday that I wouldn't contribute to this topic again-I lied! Just a couple more points I'd like to make here.

I am neither Republican or Democratic. I was a Ron Paul supporter at the beginning, then became a Hillary supporter. Now I just don't know what to do. I want who is going to do my family and this country the most good. I can tell you right now, with a Republican in the office the last 8 years, we are not doing well at all! Almost everyone I know is suffering with the high prices of gas, rising utility cost, unaffordable insurance and the high prices of groceries and everything we need to just survive. In the area I am in-there isn't a week that goes by where a factory in the area isn't putting hundreds out of work because they are closing down. Economic issues weigh heavy on the area and most of the people I know are not as concerned with who believes in abortion or gun control but who is going to keep us working and possibly give us a break for a change. I think the war is also a big issue in the country.

That being said-why not give another party a chance to fix the mess we are in. Quite frankly, I am not a big fan of Obama either. I don't know if he will be good for this country but at least it is a change. To be honest, for the first time since I've been old enough to vote, I am debating on whether I will or not. I know when it comes down to it, I will go to the polls and cast my vote but it is something that I will have to think about long and hard first. When someone like my brother, who is a devout Republican, says he will vote Libertarian, that scares me.
    He sings it high, he plays it low