Thread: Tulsa, OK 11-11-08

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tulsa, OK 11-11-08

ROCK BAND UNITES OLD & YOUNG AS THE EAGLES OPEN THE NEW BOK CENTER--TULSA WORLD

The band was two full songs into its set before they blurted out "Hello, Tulsa!" But nobody needed an introduction.

As the Eagles launched into its first show of the current leg of its "Long Road out K Center arena Glenn Frey joked, "It's the Eagles Assisted Living Tour And we're the band that wouldn't die."

Denise Shook of Tulsa said the decades-long wait to see the Eagles live was well worth it. She and her husband, "lifelong Eagles fans," who often travel to Fort Worth for entertainment and sporting events, said the arena is a "great start" for Tulsa and have plans to do more in downtown.

Shook paid $20 some 30 years ago to see her first Eagles concert in Oklahoma City. "It's money well spent," she said of the $87 dollars they paid for each ticket for Saturday's show.

The legendary California act played from its canon of eternal hits, new and old, including its award-winning version of "How Long," and "Witchy Woman," "Lyin' Eyes," and even the Don Henley hit "Boys of Summer" and Joe Walsh favorite "Falling Down."

Dazzlers such as "The Long Run" were perfectly suited for this arena's acoustics: The echo, haunting harmonies, big-drum sound and bawling guitars had the capacity crowd on its feet in hand-clapping unison. Lovers danced (and wept) in the aisles to "Take it to the Limit." With more that 30 years of music history performed live, reminiscence ruled the evening.

As often happens when a longtime music act injects its newer tunes into a set list, many of those songs felt a little stilted "No More Walks in the Wood" and "No More Cloudy Days" lacked the spontaneity of the more well-traveled classics (for starters, the band played the tunes while sitting on stools), falling somewhat flat when Glenn Frey's high notes wavered.

However, Joe Walsh didn't need the spotlight in order to steal it on songs like "Guilty of the Crime." His singing may be only somewhat intelligible, but no lyrics are needed under his unerring, clarion command of the bottleneck slide. The effortless in which he played belied his talent. He was the strongest performer of the quartet.

One thing's for sure: The music's held fast with fans of these cosmic cowboys who have never dug on punk or disco. Multiple standing ovations in a crowd at least three generations strong was proof positive of that.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever heard the Joe Walsh favorite "Falling Down."

There are some good pics here though. Click on The Eagles, and the first half shows the venue & the fans, and the second half showcases the guys.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/slides.aspx

Default Re: Tulsa concert

Another review, this time from The Oklahoman:

Long was the central theme Saturday night as the Eagles took the stage at Tulsa’s sparkling new BOK Center. The Eagles opened their show at 7:45 p.m. with the song “How Long,” the first single released from their latest album, “Long Road out of Eden.”

Later, bandmate Don Henley introduced the song “The Long Run,” as the band’s theme song — after a 37-year musical career. “We’re still here and so are you,” he told the near capacity crowd, estimated to be more than 18,000 people.

The venue proved to be the perfect backdrop for the classic rock band, with floor seating completely packed and all but the half dozen sections behind the stage full to the rafters.

The Eagles, dressed in suits, started their more than 3-hour show taking turns singing lead on songs from “Long Road Out of Eden.” Henley sang “Busy Being Fabulous.” Timothy B. Schmit sang “I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore,” accompanied by Henley on percussion and congos. Joe Walsh belted out “Guilty of the Crime” while playing slide guitar. Jail bars flashed on giant video backdrops.

The Eagles played their own instruments — all taking turns on guitar, while Henley also rotated to drums, percussion and piano. Walsh switched guitars for every song, even playing two on the song “Rocky Mountain Way.” It seemed he brought much of his famed collection to the show. The Eagles were accompanied by other band mates on piano, organ, drums and percussion, five guitars and four horns.

Glenn Frey hosted much of the show, starting with “Hello Tulsa” and welcoming everyone to the Eagles “Assisted Living Tour,” for which he earned a good laugh.

The fifth song on the lineup was the classic favorite “Hotel California.” The song opened with Al Garth on saxophone and included Stuart Smith, sometimes called the fifth Eagle, on an 18-string guitar — the instrument always played on this song. All four horns played on this song as well. Saturday night’s version was kind of bluesy, versus other times when the sound has ranged from Spanish guitar to reggae. The backdrop matched the album cover.

Perhaps the best part of the show was the incredible harmony as all band members sang together on many songs. A particular favorite was Schmidt’s “Love Will Keep Us Alive,” from the “Hell Freezes Over,” CD. The Tulsa crowd was rowdy, clapping along to some songs, singing loudly to others. They showed appreciation for the band with deafening applause on songs like “I Can’t Tell You Why” and Walsh’s “In the City.”

Frey introduced the song “Witchy Woman” as part of the band’s “Satanic country rhythm and blues era.” Henley made sure to squarely hit every high note on the song. As in every show, Frey dedicated the song “Lyin’ Eyes” to his first wife. He also added, “Now it takes us about four years to write a song, but it took Don and I two nights to write this one.”

The band played plenty more hits from their storied career, such as “One of These Nights,” “Heartache Tonight” and “Life in the Fast Lane.” But Walsh played several songs from their careers apart from the Eagles. Henley sang “Boys of Summer,” “All She Wants to Do is Dance,” and “Dirty Laundry.” Walsh sang “What You Tryin’ to Hand Me,” and “Walk Away,” several songs from The James Gang.

The band took a break about 8:45 p.m. and came back on stage at 9:11 to sing a capella “No More Walks in the Wood,” followed by the sad ballad “Waiting in the Weeds” accompanied by a mandolin, piano and four guitars.

After the song “Long Road out of Eden” the Eagles took off their jackets and really started rocking and rolling with the song “Somebody’s Following You.” At that point, the band started adding longer instrumental jams to their songs. Walsh put on his microphone hat, pulled out his lime green guitar and voice box and started truly entertaining the crowd with his goofy antics.

“Glenn tells me I wrote this song, but I don’t know,” Walsh said before launching into “Life’s Been Good to Me So Far,” while early band photos flashed on the backdrops.

At 10:40 the band left the stage, but returned for two songs — “Rocky Mountain Way” and “All She Wants to do is Dance.” After walking off stage a second time they came back for two final songs, “Take it Easy” and “Desparado.” As customary, Henley soloed the song before being joined in harmony by his three other Eagles. He held the last note and they all took a bow at 11:07 p.m.

The band on Saturday passed out flyers announcing ticket sales for its Nov. 11 return to the BOK center — the final show of the tour.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Joe sang "What You Tryin' to Hand Me?" Where did that come from?

Better yet, where the *&#*$# do these reviewers come from???

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

You'd think they'd send someone who had SOME knowledge of the band to do the review. I wonder what songs they were talking about.

Stuck on the Border

Henley doesn't play piano on stage. Bill Armstrong plays the intro to HC.

Other howlers - 'The Eagles played their own instruments'. No kidding.

'Somebody's Following You', yes, OK.

'Henley soloed Desperado' before the others joined in harmonies. Yes, and? Very badly written.

However the photos were good. The venue looks really nice, and I was particularly taken with the cutouts of Glenn & Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    However the photos were good. The venue looks really nice, and I was particularly taken with the cutouts of Glenn & Don.
    I was too, FP. If I had been the women in that photo, I would've posed with my arms draped around that cutout of Don!

I gotta get me one of those cutouts of Glenn .

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Does anyone else ever get the urge to write some of these reviewers and ask them why they even bothered?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for finding those, DF. I agree the pictures were very nice although we could have used less of the crowd and more of the guys, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Does anyone else ever get the urge to write some of these reviewers and ask them why they even bothered?
    Umm - that would be a definite 'YES'!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016