Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Rock, AK 9-16-08

Default Little Rock, AK 9-16-08

Concert Review: The Eagles

The Eagles
    Alltel Arena
    North Little Rock, AR
    9/16/2008

The legendary California country-rock band, which still features Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit, came rolling back into town for the first time in years on the strength of a recently released the double-album, Long Road Out of Eden, the first album of new material since 1979's The Long Run. Do they still have it? Well, the faces look a bit older, the hair is thinner and they dress a bit more like they're going to the old folks home to pick up dates but musically and vocally... it's the same as it ever was.

People come to an Eagles show to hear classics, and they want to hear them played like they remember them. The Eagles know that and that's what they deliver, with the occasional offshoot into the current CD. A little something old, a little something new... makes for a nice 3-hour night of music.

It's a bit odd for me to look around and notice that I'm probably one of the younger people in the crowd for a change. I'm used to being at shows like Korn or some other equally loud and obnoxious metal band and I've sort of become used to being the NARC guy, or in the oldest range. This time it's a much older crowd for sure, but there still are quite a few younger fans as well. I actually sat next to a young lady in her late 20s who was there with her mother and her mother's mother. They all 3 sang along to the majority of the hits. How cool is that? That's the Eagles I guess, they've touched many generations. Also as a note... there wasn't any moshing or crowd surfing. Probably be a lot of backs thrown out if that did happen to break out.

8:16 PM... The lights go down and out comes the band in suits and ties with white shirts, while the back-up band (which consisted of anywhere from 4-8 guys at times) was dressed the same except they had on black shirts. Seemed a bit odd at first to see the 4 old guys in the same outfits, sort of like N'Sync might look at the nursing home, but they did look sharp at least. The stage is large with a huge screen behind it in a circular shape and 2 wide screens to the sides.

As the spotlights hit center stage and the 4 members of the Eagles are standing there, all with guitars in their hands, they start the set with How Long, from the new CD. The vocals sound fantastic and the harmonies are amazingly clear and beautiful. It's really a perfect song to start with for these reasons plus the guys take turns on lead vocals, so it's a pretty good starter all around. They didn't just start the set with 1 song from the new CD though, they played 4 right in a row.

* How Long
    * Busy Being Fabulous (lead vocals Don)
    * Don't Want To Hear Anymore (lead vocals Timothy)
    * Guilty of the Crime (lead vocals Joe)

The songs were well received as each guy took his turn on the mic and the crowd was warmed up and ready for some Eagles classics by this point, and they begin to deliver. The opening chords of Hotel California hit and the place goes wild as the cover to the album lights up the big screen behind the stage. Don Henley is now sitting at the drum kit, not missing a beat as he does spot on vocals to the first classic of the night.

* Hotel California
    * Peaceful Easy Feeling
    * I Can't Tell You Why
    * Already Gone
    * Witchy Woman
    * Lyin' Eyes
    * The Boys of Summer (Don's solo work)
    * In The City
    * The Long Run

At this point they take an intermission for about 20 minutes. They come back out to the opening music for No More Walks In The Woods, from the new CD. It's another song that has a lot of great harmonies, and at this point the 4 members are sitting in chairs playing acoustic guitars. They do a short all-acoustic set that include new stuff and some great sing-a-longs.

* No More Walks In The Woods
    * Waiting in the Weeds
    * No More Cloudy Days
    * Love Will Keep Us Alive
    * Take It To the Limit

Take It To The Limit easily gets the biggest, loudest sing-a-long of the night going as it seemed the entire arena of 15,000+ was singing right along with them. By this point as they're playing songs the video screens to the sides are of course showing the band from many angles. The video screen behind them is showing clips of all sorts of stuff in relation to whatever song they're playing. It's a pretty good show all around with all this going on in addition to just the great music.

The chairs are removed and guitars plugged back in and they play a long version of the political Long Road Out Of Eden song while showing lots of imagery on the screen. They're starting to pick up the pace a bit and the place is beginning to jump.

* Long Road Out of Eden
    * Somebody
    * Walk Away (James Gang)
    * One of These Nights
    * Life's Been Good (Joe's solo work)
    * Dirty Laundry (Don's solo work)
    * Funk #49 (James Gang)
    * Heartache Tonight

Oddly, the James Gang song Walk Away probably got the crowd fired up more than any. When Joe hit that opening riff it was like somebody spiked the Geritol as people we dancing in the aisles and their seats. Most of the guys in the band are very competent musicians still, but Joe Walsh seems a notch above with his still very solid guitar skills. Throughout the night he rips into some great solo and plays with a lot of heart. He still can rock, which surprised me a bit. During a great version of Life's Been Good, he dons a hat-cam and shows the audience from his point of view on the big screen and has some fun.

After a short break, as the crowd was going bananas for an encore, they finally rewarded us as they returned with the high energy crowd pleaser Life In the Fast Lane before finally having Don stand center stage, back in full suit and jacket, and do a heartfelt version of Desperado that had ever single person in there singing along enough to make Elaine Benes proud.

* Life In The Fast Lane
    * Desperado

11:26 PM.... 3 hours and 10 minutes after we first saw them take stage.

Helluva great show from some old dudes who can still really entertain a crowd and have a great catalog to choose from. There's not a lot of banter with the audience, it's pretty much just one song after another. They do introduce the band and make a few quips here and there, but it's minimal.

Maybe I missed a few songs here there, hell I don't know and I don't have a photographic memory. I do know they didn't play New Kid In Town or Tequila Sunrise, both which I'd loved to have heard. But that's just being greedy now. Hell we got 2 James Gang songs, a Joe Walsh solo track, 2 of Henley's solo tracks and 8 tracks off the new CD in addition to all the classics. That's enough to fill the 3 hour 15 minute set easily.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Little Rock

Fantastic review! Thanks DF!

Loved the bit about the guys looking like N'Sync at the retirement home!

And Already Gone is back! I thought they had dropped it! It's one of my many faves! And there are actually 9 songs off the new album being played.

But, I want 2 encores! Please guys!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Already Gone is back?! WOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take that over a second encore any day!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Looks like they are changing the set list a bit--but don't forget the 2 encores boys!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Maybe they thought they needed something a little bit more up tempo in that slot. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

This is a short & sweet fan review of the show. Love how he says he has loved the Eagles for 14 years and makes excuses for spending only $40 for his ticket. Extrapolate those numbers and you have most of us, who have loved the guys for 30+ years and spent way, way more $$$ for tix!

September 17, 2008
    I finally fulfilled one of my childhood dreams last night. I saw The Eagles live in concert at their Little Rock, Arkansas, stop on the Long Road Out of Eden Tour. I’ve been a fan since I watched the “Hell Freezes Over” reunion tour with my dad on MTV back in the mid 90’s.

$40 to see a band you’ve loved for 14 years or so? Completely worth it.
    Timothy B. Schmit had a hard time hitting the high notes on “I Can’t Tell You Why,” but over all the band still has it. Don Henley’s drumming and vocals is still what it was in the 70’s, if not better. Joe Walsh’s leads are still ridiculous and driving. Glen Frey’s jokes between songs are still rather corny.

So, if you hear that the band you called your favorite in 4th grade is coming through town and you think it may be your last chance to go see them, fork up the $40 and go.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, $40? Try $795!

I'm still feeling guilty about that. Hopefully I won't after Saturday night!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    This is a short & sweet fan review of the show. Love how he says he has loved the Eagles for 14 years and makes excuses for spending only $40 for his ticket. Extrapolate those numbers and you have most of us, who have loved the guys for 30+ years and spent way, way more $$$ for tix!
    So true, DF - so true. And Brooke, you probably won't be sorry.

As far as the first review, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that the guy has the set list wrong. I just don't see the guys making those kind of changes to it for the Little Rock show. We'll have to see what it is in St. Louis because I think we'll have a couple of reliable sources there that will report back to us firsthand.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Very nice reviews both of them except for the part saying that

"Glen Frey’s jokes between songs are still rather corny"

I like GlenN Freys Jokes

Also while AG may be back I cannot see TIE ever being dropped from the set list so I guess there might be a few errors in the first review.

Brooke, Girlfriend, you will NOT regret it one bit!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

$40.00--are you kidding me?? If we could get tickets for that -I would be in Nashville right now and on my way to St Louis Saturday, Milwaukee after that all before hitting BOTH shows in Chicago next week....
    He sings it high, he plays it low