Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Kick?

Default Fitness Kick?

Hey guys, I have a question. We all know that by 1988 Glenn was "Livin' Right," but does anyone know any more about when and how his fitness kick got started? When did he start doing those ads?

~

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Fitness Kick?

I have a Random Notes piece from Rolling Stone from 1989 which runs as follows:

'I'm sort of being paid back for doing 1500 sit-ups a day, five days a week', says Glenn Frey, whose recently honed biceps are being used - alongside a photo of Frey, circa 1976 - in an ad campaign for Jack LaLanne Fitness Centers. THe former Eagle says he was recruited by the head of the company, who's a fan of Frey's song 'Livin' Right'. Why'd he do it? 'They offered me a shitload of money', he says. 'Secondly, I actually feel very strongly about fitness. It's done a lot for me'. As for getting flak from people in the music world, Frey says he hasn't heard from anyone. 'I think they took one look at me and decided maybe they should keep their big yaps shut'. He then launches into a diatribe that would make Neil Young's skin crawl. 'I do not cling to this antiquated hippie mentality that says it's us against them' he says. 'I personally do not consider Pepsi-Cola or Old Style Beer or the Health and Tennis Corporations to be the enemy. This is the age of adult rock stars. You can't be James Dean all your life'.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Thanks, Julie. I'd heard of this famous ad but had never actually seen it before. So Livin' Right came before the ad contract?

~

Stuck on the Border

It would appear so.

~~~

Hmm, now I'm a little confused about when he met Cindy. He said on Arsenio that it was on a fitness commercial, but if she appears in the Livin' Right video, it would seem he's misremembering a bit.

As Bernie would say, "Details, details!" lol

~

Hmm, unless he got the contract in between the release of the song and the filming of the video.

~

If given a choice I would opt for HC era Glenn - he looks so spaced out he would forgive my flaws. That muscle bound Glenn is a bit daunting, and anyway, what is he actually wearing?

~~~

This way to happiness...

Super-bulked up Glenn is a bit much for me, too. "Daunting" is a good way to describe the feeling you get looking at the photo. I think body sculpting can be overdone to the point where the person almost becomes dehumanized in a way; they appear to be a physical speciman of invulnerability lacking tenderness. Obviously, that is a stereotype, and it's the same man on the inside in both pictures. It is true, however, that many women such as myself find the hyper-definition of the latter photo a bit disconcerting and prefer Glenn to be toned and muscular to a degree but not a "Mr. Universe." I think HFO is where he is best situated into that happy medium.

~

Stuck on the Border

Having been a gym rat myself around that time period, Glenn's wearing those happy little lycra shorts that were so popular then. All the women, and quite a few of the studlier men wore them. Actually, a lot of people who should never be caught dead leaving their house wearing them wore them as well! They leave little to the imagination.

I think the fact that he got "that" bulked up kind of speaks to his personality. Does he ever do anything half way? Exercising can be addictive to people who have an addictive type personality. It does feel good. And then, dangle money in front of him besides? Oh, and let's throw in the new hot young wife. Done deal.

I remember the men who lived in the weight room -and tried to out macho each other. Who could squat lift more? Who could bench press more? And the women who weren't happy to take just one aerobics class, they had to stay for that second one besides. I always found those people a little scary. I just wanted to lose my post-baby fat. I just tried to stay the heck out of there way! They were serious!

Stuck on the Border

I am not entirely sure that those are in fact his arms. There is a difference between that shot and the Livin' Right picture sleeve where his arms look more natural.

I'm not sure about the 'let's throw in the new hot young wife' comment, Molly. They are still together, after all.

~~~