Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    - Tom Wright
    That's it!! I'm ordering the damn book! If only they recorded those sound checks!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Stuck on the Border

There's not a lot more Eagles but there seems to be plenty of Joe.

Wow, I'd never read about those soundchecks before. How awesome to be able to witness something like that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Both Don & Glenn are huge fans of Ray Charles.
    Yeah I have daydreams about the two of them in the Trousdale house, listening to a bunch of R&B records, singing along...*dreamy sigh*
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

"Roadwork: Rock and Rolled Turned Inside Out" by Tom Wright and Susan VanHecke is the book we're discussing.

Walk this Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith is the book I mentioned earlier.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I've been involved for several years on a biographical project, and it has helped to enforce the realization that all anyone can do is tell their truth, not the truth. I don't believe an objective truth exists when it comes to personal histories. I have documented several instances in which the person I'm chronicling has an entirely different recollection to an event than the other participants, and the reasons why are myriad, many of them political. We tend to want history to be kind, which is why people are most kind to themselves in the telling.

That is one reason I appreciate the doc, because everyone was blunt in various recollections. It takes courage to not only state your truth, but to state it in such a way which displays your own foibles.
    I agree with everyone that it is natural for every individual to have their own version of the truth. I expect that anyone who tells a story does so with their own biases, recollections, and value systems. But Luna, I have to say I do have a problem when autobiographies contain lots of contradictions, inconsistencies, and facts that can be easily refuted. To me, it is incumbent upon the author to do some basic fact-checking if they want their story to be viewed as credible. I personally feel cheated as a reader if they neglect to make a good-faith effort to get their version as accurate as possible.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    But Luna, I have to say I do have a problem when autobiographies contain lots of contradictions, inconsistencies, and facts that can be easily refuted. To me, it is incumbent upon the author to do some basic fact-checking if they want their story to be viewed as credible. I personally feel cheated as a reader if they neglect to make a good-faith effort to get their version as accurate as possible.
    Oh I agree, and due diligence concerning those facts which can be verified and are considered valid across several accounts absolutely should be done. That's the bedrock of historical research. It's just that there are situations in which a fact might not be verified if there are conflicting versions of details. I have encountered this situation several times in the course of this project, and in one particular case there's no way I can absolutely verify one version over another because the documentation is non-existent and one of the key participants is deceased.

Stuck on the Border

This talk about conflicting versions of a story makes me think of the Barney Hoskyn's book (Hotel California). It has a wonderful opening with a tale of five naked young men in a sauna and that got used in newpaper articles and promotional blurb (link to an article). There's just one problem. In another book (probably Marc Eliot's), Don Henley tells the same story but with one difference - instead of Don in the sauna, it's JD. I believe Don because a) it's Don-fricking-Henley and he should know if he was there and b) in 1971, JD was more part of that crowd than Don.

i still love that opening.

Yes it is Don who tells that story in To The Limit.

Here's another version of a conflicting story: in the HotE documentary, Kenny Rogers says it was Don who asked him to come and see Shiloh, but in To The Limit Michael Bowden relates it was Jerry Surratt, who of course was later killed in a highway accident before Shiloh relocated to Los Angeles.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Yes it is Don who tells that story in To The Limit.

Here's another version of a conflicting story: in the HotE documentary, Kenny Rogers says it was Don who asked him to come and see Shiloh, but in To The Limit Michael Bowden relates it was Jerry Surratt, who of course was later killed in a highway accident before Shiloh relocated to Los Angeles.
    I noticed that one, too. These differences aren't really significant but they do show how easily things gets mixed up.