Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

I haven't read any of the books cause I really didn't want to have any of the negative crap in my head, so I can't comment, but if I could I'd say: WTF????? Are we taking the word of some wanna be, nobel prize not winning wanna be and calling it Gospel? I don't think so. Just sayin. . . . .

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

There were lots of things Eliot got wrong, and I don't agree with the assessment that Henley came off looking good. Put it this way, if this book were the only insight into who Don Henley is and was, I would not be a fan. I wouldn't want to meet him, and he'd be one of those people I'd warn my teenagers to not idolize (if I had any). I closed the book thinking him an obsessive compulsive freak who had a stick up his... At the end of the book, Eliot's interpretation of Don's Hall of Fame speech is a great example. Then I remembered the source and remembered the interviews I've seen and most importantly, the song lyrics he's written.

Anyway, I'm an avid reader and until Borders did the unthinkable and closed their doors, I lived there. And I had never heard of this book until I saw it on sale for $0.75 at a flea market. So, the 'publicity' over it didn't affect my decision one way or the other. I read it back then and a friend asked if it was worth their time to borrow it and I said 'no'. It didn't help that the end is basically the HFO tour and R&RHF induction and without the internet at my disposal, even I knew that Glenn had a girl and a boy and not two boys. Such a glaring error towards the end of a book is guaranteed to leave you walking away thinking most of it was probably in error. The credibility was gone and I'd never pay another cent to read anything else the man ever wrote.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I totally agree that there were mistakes there. He also said that Tim had 2 boys & a girl, & we know he has 2 girls & a boy.

It is listed as an Unauthorized Biography, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. I thought it was worth reading, but I didn't believe it was all true. Like I said, if there were grounds to sue him, they would have done so. I only took it out of the library, so this guy Eliot didn't make any money off me.

Seems this guy is a good friend of one of the managers, or agents (don't remember which one), so much of the information is probably through him. I certainly did see some errors & conflicting dates of things too, but I didn't really see the book as negative toward any of them.

Another thing that irks me about Eliot's mistakes is the way they keep appearing in later books. So many authors who don't feel like doing their own research use him as a source, and recycle those same mistakes. Heck, even FELDER recycled some of Eliot's material for his freaking autobiography!

Maybe this new official "Story of the Eagles" Glenn spoke of will clear some things up. I'd also love it if the guys did individual autobiographies.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I haven't read any of the books cause I really didn't want to have any of the negative crap in my head,
    Exactly Joanie!!!!

I did pull out You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again and think I might read it. Especially since a few of you just recently declared it your favorite.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Only read the Glenn chapter. The two Don chapters make him out to be a perv.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Then I'm definitely reading the 2 Don chapters also!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Eagles Books

Does anyone have the book 'Eagles - Essential Interviews' by John Luerrson, published in April 2009?
    If so, it is worth getting?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Books

I don't have it, Steph. I seem to remember something being discussed about it on the board before, but I can't find anything. I went back and looked at a couple old threads where I thought it may have been discussed.

Anyway, speaking of old threads, I found another thread titled exactly the same as this one, so I hope you don't mind if I merge the two.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I've been looking for the book too, but I can only find it at a ridiculous price (over $100 + shipping from the UK). It is a limited edition book. As far as I know it is a collection of the interviews that the Eagles did in the 70's, most of which we have probably read. However, it is an Eagles book so I will buy it if I find it at a realistic price.