Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I love your avatar Elle - I have that slogan on a t-shirt so true!
    Thanks! I'll probably keep it for a while, because it took me what seemed like forever to get it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I wonder which guitar parts played by Felder were something "Glenn' fingers just couldn't play". Eagles songs don't have that challenging guitar parts in the first place in terms of notes (perhaps Glenn just couldn't make them sound good?) and the Don't Give Up intro didn't seem to be too hard for Glenn's fingers.
    I just read that in the book.
    "Everyone on the stage conceded the fact that technically "Fingers" Felder was the best musician on the stage. But Glenn could come up with great guitar parts his fingers couldn't deliver."
    The way the line reads it's Felder's fingers that couldn't deliver not Glenn's. Note the word "But" at the start of the next line.

Friends sent me a book for my birthday, just got it Saturday. Haven't read it yet but scanned through it
    "The Eagles: Take it to the Limit" by Ben Fong-Torre formerly Rolling Stone magazine It's a hard cover and really nice good quality. Lots of pictures, some I've seen before and some new ones. Looks like it's covering from the old line up to the new one today. Hope to get started on it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    Friends sent me a book for my birthday, just got it Saturday. Haven't read it yet but scanned through it
    "The Eagles: Take it to the Limit" by Ben Fong-Torre formerly Rolling Stone magazine It's a hard cover and really nice good quality. Lots of pictures, some I've seen before and some new ones. Looks like it's covering from the old line up to the new one today. Hope to get started on it today.
    Nice! That's one of the books that I've been wanting to read. Please let me know if it's worth getting.

Stuck on the Border

It looks like this an update of his 2011 book, "Taking it to the Limit". I remember that as having nice pictures. It would be interesting to know what has changed.

I think it is an updated book as I saw the same publishing company for both books. Looked on Amazon, first book was $149...Guess I won't buy it. LOL Got a couple others too for birthday. I guess my friends think alike Now I got something to read instead of just watching tv.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    I just read that in the book.
    "Everyone on the stage conceded the fact that technically "Fingers" Felder was the best musician on the stage. But Glenn could come up with great guitar parts his fingers couldn't deliver."
    The way the line reads it's Felder's fingers that couldn't deliver not Glenn's. Note the word "But" at the start of the next line.
    Scamp - if you are quoting directly from the book, I think you may be right that the writer is saying that Glenn came up with guitar parts that Felder's fingers couldn't deliver. It makes sense because there are various accounts about times such as ICTYW and TALA when Glenn was able to create a better recorded version than either Felder or Joe, but he didn't perform the part live. I doubt if there are any Eagles songs that any of the guitar players couldn't actually play - it was just a matter of who played the best or preferred version on the record.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Elle81 View Post
    Nice! That's one of the books that I've been wanting to read. Please let me know if it's worth getting.
    Elle - If you want to get some opinions on books about the band, most of them are in this thread. It's a long thread, so if you want, you can search the thread for a particular book e.g. search the word 'limit' to bring up posts that have that word. Keep in mind, there are two different books with 'limit' in the title - the one referenced here by Ben Fong-Torres named 'Take It to the Limit' and another one by Marc Eliot name 'To the Limit'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Elle - If you want to get some opinions on books about the band, most of them are in this thread. It's a long thread, so if you want, you can search the thread for a particular book e.g. search the word 'limit' to bring up posts that have that word. Keep in mind, there are two different books with 'limit' in the title - the one referenced here by Ben Fong-Torres named 'Take It to the Limit' and another one by Marc Eliot name 'To the Limit'.
    Thanks, dreamer. I'll check out the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Scamp - if you are quoting directly from the book, I think you may be right that the writer is saying that Glenn came up with guitar parts that Felder's fingers couldn't deliver. It makes sense because there are various accounts about times such as ICTYW and TALA when Glenn was able to create a better recorded version than either Felder or Joe, but he didn't perform the part live. I doubt if there are any Eagles songs that any of the guitar players couldn't actually play - it was just a matter of who played the best or preferred version on the record.
    Yes I was quoting from the book. Also if you noticed Felder and now Smith, play a lot of the solo parts because Joe plays the acoustic guitar, especially 12 string, on a lot of the songs. Also he plays the organ on a couple of them. That was a plus for getting Joe in the band. In fact when Joe first started with the Eagles he played keyboard on some songs and on albums, like Long Road he played a lot of piano and keyboard besides the organ instead of guitar.
    One thing Glenn like about Joe was Felder wrote songs for guitar and Glenn and Don were supposed to come up with the lyrics and how to work them into the song. With Joe they could take the lyrics and maybe an idea for how they wanted the song to go and he could come up with guitar parts to go with the lyrics. He is very good at that. Glenn was a good guitar player but Joe could at that little extra kick that Glenn liked.