Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

It just shows again that people see and remember things differently. So the way people tell a story is what is sitting in there mind. It is neither the whole truth or a blatant lie.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Oh I agree, and due diligence concerning those facts which can be verified and are considered valid across several accounts absolutely should be done. That's the bedrock of historical research. It's just that there are situations in which a fact might not be verified if there are conflicting versions of details. I have encountered this situation several times in the course of this project, and in one particular case there's no way I can absolutely verify one version over another because the documentation is non-existent and one of the key participants is deceased.
    I agree with you here. If there are conflicting versions that can't be verified, then the best anyone can do is to rely on their recollection. However, IMO, there are so many times when seemingly little or no fact-checking is done - all the author does is rely on their recollection. But, I think we agree that if someone is going to write an autobiography and sell it for a profit, then they owe it to their audience to get the facts straight when possible. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    But, I think we agree that if someone is going to write an autobiography and sell it for a profit, then they owe it to their audience to get the facts straight when possible.
    Absolutely! As a researcher I certainly hold to this credo as much as possible; although it can be said that biographies are held to more stringent standards than autobiographies/memoirs.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    The documentary rules. Seriously it does. I'm forcing myself to take a hiatus because I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out. My husband is going on a trip next month. I'll start watching it again then. He's a huge Eagles fan but I'm a tad embarrassed at how many times he's said to me, "Your watching it again? From the beginning?" He expects me to jump to the Joe parts but I don't.

I could have wrote this myself, except it's Randy for me instead of Joe. My family & co-workers have taken to making fun of me over it! lol

It is great to not feel alone in your obsession. That's why I love you guys!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    It just shows again that people see and remember things differently. So the way people tell a story is what is sitting in there mind. It is neither the whole truth or a blatant lie.
    For sure! I can relate in my own family! One member will remember something that I don't remember at all and vice versa! Happens all the time! And sometimes, over time, 'stories' become the truth in our minds! We have heard it so long that eventually we forget it was 'just a story' and believe it really happened!

ETA: I read Steven Tyler's book, but am thinking I need to read that autobiography too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

One more paragraph from Tom Wright about soundchecks. It's following a paragraph in which he says soundchecks were infrequent for the Who.
    The Eagles, on the other hand, would race each other to soundcheck. Whoever got there first would ppick the tunes, and they rarely had anything to do with the show. It was more like "Stump the Band"." They'd do "Barefootin'" or "Memphis," tons of old bar blues tunes. When the Eagles did them, just pulling them out of the blue, they'd sound spectacular. Even if the guys had never played the songs together before, or couldn't remember the words, they'd fake it. It was breathtaking how good they were, even when they were goofing around.
    How I'd love to see some of that! It's the kind of "heaven" that's missing from Don Felder's book.

There's also this about Joe Walsh and the James Gang reunion.
    When he's playing with the Eagles, Walsh is the colorful sidekick, the raw rocker in an otherwise fairly mellow band. But he's still the new guy. With the James Gang, he's the chief and leader, Mister Responsibility. Music director and choir coach. In the early days, he'd have to sell his ideas to everyone. Now, the sheer clout of his resume gives him full authority. Still, Joe's trying to discover while leading. These days, he's after the profound like a bloodhound on a scent.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting those quotes, UTW. And I have to agree about how breathtakingly good the Eagles are!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by randymeisnerrocks View Post
    I could have wrote this myself, except it's Randy for me instead of Joe. My family & co-workers have taken to making fun of me over it! lol

It is great to not feel alone in your obsession. That's why I love you guys!
    oh , i love all u guys, this is happening to me too with the hote, but also the randy photo tribute!!! cant stop watching it, and feally like part of a family, randy eagles family!!

Border Troubadour

Sorry if this has been asked / answered before (I can't get together the motivation to read 140 posts ), but what is the best all-round book if you want an Eagles biography? I'd always assumed Marc Eliot's To The Limit was best?

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    On the other hand there is such a thing as too much information & how wide a market there could be for a book by each member.
    Yeah, I agree about the too much information especially if it's about the fights or bad personal stuff. I read a book written by groupies once and pretty much hated everyone in the music industry for a while.