Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    I too am looking for more books about our guys. What do you all suggest?
    Not sure if you've ready any so far?

Overall I have to say none of the books out there are absolutely fabulous, mainly because they tend to re-hash the same information (and were written prior to the release of the HOTE documentary). As the band has been very private over the years none of the books really give us a lot of new insight into any of the members, and they all tend to focus on Don Henley as much as all the other members put together (and I'm complaining even as a Henley girl!).

The Eagles - An American Band (Andrew Vaughan) is a nice large format (coffee table kinda thing) if you're interested in looking at photos (although there are a lot of other people...). It's a pretty good overview of the music and influences on their music, and this is the one I would recommend.

Marc Eliot's Take It To The Limit is a bit more gossipy in style - quite salacious. I didn't really like it - he interviewed a number of people and their comments are presented as fact, whereas any comments from the guys are presented as being just their opinion. There are a number of errors in the book too, and unfortunately most of the other books around (even Felder's) seem to have used this one as their primary source material. He does give a lot of information about the business side of the band's early days.

Don Felder's Heaven and Hell has its own thread. The story of his early life is interesting enough, but the book was written after he'd been fired from the band and it's not very objective (which is not unexpected). He makes some rather vulgar comments about women, too, which really put me off the whole book.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

I recommend Laura Jackson's The Eagles: Flying High because it is the only book which gives Glenn his due. His talents & role as leader in the other books are either minimised or ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Not sure if you've ready any so far?

Overall I have to say none of the books out there are absolutely fabulous, mainly because they tend to re-hash the same information (and were written prior to the release of the HOTE documentary). As the band has been very private over the years none of the books really give us a lot of new insight into any of the members, and they all tend to focus on Don Henley as much as all the other members put together (and I'm complaining even as a Henley girl!).

The Eagles - An American Band (Andrew Vaughan) is a nice large format (coffee table kinda thing) if you're interested in looking at photos (although there are a lot of other people...). It's a pretty good overview of the music and influences on their music, and this is the one I would recommend.

Marc Eliot's Take It To The Limit is a bit more gossipy in style - quite salacious. I didn't really like it - he interviewed a number of people and their comments are presented as fact, whereas any comments from the guys are presented as being just their opinion. There are a number of errors in the book too, and unfortunately most of the other books around (even Felder's) seem to have used this one as their primary source material. He does give a lot of information about the business side of the band's early days.

Don Felder's Heaven and Hell has its own thread. The story of his early life is interesting enough, but the book was written after he'd been fired from the band and it's not very objective (which is not unexpected). He makes some rather vulgar comments about women, too, which really put me off the whole book.

I've read To The Limit and also Felder's books. I learned a lot, but wondered if there was more. Maybe Timothy B and Don H will write books some day. A Walsh bio would be fantastic too

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

We candream......

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    I've read To The Limit and also Felder's books. I learned a lot, but wondered if there was more. Maybe Timothy B and Don H will write books some day. A Walsh bio would be fantastic too
    So would a book by Glenn.

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

I'd love a book by each

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    So would a book by Glenn.

yup, I'm sorry I didn't mean to leave him out

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

They all need to make their own!!!! Love reading them from their prospective.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

it would be great to see it from all sides

Stuck on the Border

On the other hand there is such a thing as too much information & how wide a market there could be for a book by each member.