Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

I just started reading "To the Limit". Very interesting reading the first two chapters, the differences between Don and Glenn are amazing! They had one thing in common, the southern California dream.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into the rest of this book !

so often times it happens that we live our life in chains and we never even know we have the key.

I like "Hotel California" by Barney Hoskyns. it's actually about the entire Laurel canyon music scene of that era, but it's fairly Eagle-heavy. Gives great context about how the scene came to be and what their motivations were. Only Eagle who granted interview was (of course) Bernie, but JD Souther, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Ned Doheny, Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell, etc., all were interviewed and share really great insights. I wish one of the other guys Eagles would have dud an interview--you'd think with all their buddies saying yes, they would have felt comfortable doing it---I'm guessing it came down to money and editorial control.

Only bsd thing is it stops at 1976.

Stuck on the Border

"Roadwork: Rock and Rolled Turned Inside Out" by Tom Wright and Susan VanHecke. It's available cheap second-hand. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Roadwork-Rock-Roll-Turned-Inside/dp/1423413008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386953790&sr=8-1&keywords=roadworks+tom+wright"]Amazon link[/ame]
    I haven't read much of the book but I've a feeling it's special. I felt that rush of excitement like I was reading something fresh and new. It's like seeing old footage (and I'd like to get my hands on his photos and cassette tapes). There's a chapter on the Eagles from a tour in 1980, another on a short tour with JD Souther and there are Joe Walsh bits sprinkled here and there (Joe's a friend dating back to James Gang days). There are b&w photos (several of Joe, one of Don Henley) but they're a bit murky and wouldn't scan well.

Most of the book is about The Who but also the Rolling Stones and the Faces.

ETA: Here's one of his photos (not in the book)
    https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com...tographID=3281

Oooh I must put that one on my list, thank you!!
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

The one problem that I see if they all wrote books is if they had different versions of a certain time or thing that happened. Then you are wondering which version is true. I think that happened a little bit with Don Felder. So who do you believe? I guess if you have a favorite you would believe him. But it would be interesting to see all the different points of view.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    The one problem that I see if they all wrote books is if they had different versions of a certain time or thing that happened. Then you are wondering which version is true. I think that happened a little bit with Don Felder. So who do you believe? I guess if you have a favorite you would believe him. But it would be interesting to see all the different points of view.
    Especially since a lot of things happened in a haze of drugs and alcohol and lack of sleep. Wouldn't surprise me if none of them remembered some things correctly!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I agree VA. If you took everything they put in there books together, you might have a whole story.

I agree, everyone would have a different take on things if they all wrote a book. I believe this to be true w/any group of people tho. If my brother & I wrote a book on what it was like to be raised by our parents I know the stories would be very different. I read rock bios almost exclusively. I take everything inside w/a grain of salt. I've also talked to someone that wrote the definitive book on groupies. She told me all about the things that got left out as to not insult any of her friends. So there are a lot of variables at play. I like that you guys point this out because I think most people would just pick their favorite member's story and go with it, as noted above. That is unless your fav. was dead drunk for 25+ years.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    "Roadwork: Rock and Rolled Turned Inside Out" by Tom Wright and Susan VanHecke. It's available cheap second-hand. Amazon link
    I haven't read much of the book but I've a feeling it's special. I felt that rush of excitement like I was reading something fresh and new. It's like seeing old footage (and I'd like to get my hands on his photos and cassette tapes). There's a chapter on the Eagles from a tour in 1980, another on a short tour with JD Souther and there are Joe Walsh bits sprinkled here and there (Joe's a friend dating back to James Gang days). There are b&w photos (several of Joe, one of Don Henley) but they're a bit murky and wouldn't scan well.

Most of the book is about The Who but also the Rolling Stones and the Faces.

ETA: Here's one of his photos (not in the book)
    https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com...tographID=3281
    Hmm - I'll have to check that out!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I agree, everyone would have a different take on things if they all wrote a book. I believe this to be true w/any group of people tho. If my brother & I wrote a book on what it was like to be raised by our parents I know the stories would be very different. I read rock bios almost exclusively. I take everything inside w/a grain of salt. I've also talked to someone that wrote the definitive book on groupies. She told me all about the things that got left out as to not insult any of her friends. So there are a lot of variables at play. I like that you guys point this out because I think most people would just pick their favorite member's story and go with it, as noted above. That is unless your fav. was dead drunk for 25+ years.
    I like your post midnight. Especially the part about if brothers wrote a book. When I talk to my sister about things that happened when we were kids, we both remember it differently. And we were not high on anything at the time.