Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

Gosh, yes. My younger sister and I are only fourteen months apart and shared most of our life experiences until I left for college, but we remember our childhoods very differently. Why? We are two very different people.

But I digress. I would love to see all the Eagles write autobiographies - not to get the "true story" because that's impossible, but rather because such books not only give you ideas of what happened, but also insight into the band member himself.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

That is a good point. And that also applies to Don Felder's book. He wrote it the way he saw it, maybe the others did not see it that way but that was his point of view. You have to respect that.

I've been involved for several years on a biographical project, and it has helped to enforce the realization that all anyone can do is tell their truth, not the truth. I don't believe an objective truth exists when it comes to personal histories. I have documented several instances in which the person I'm chronicling has an entirely different recollection to an event than the other participants, and the reasons why are myriad, many of them political. We tend to want history to be kind, which is why people are most kind to themselves in the telling.

That is one reason I appreciate the doc, because everyone was blunt in various recollections. It takes courage to not only state your truth, but to state it in such a way which displays your own foibles.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Yes the DOC definitely did that.

The documentary rules. Seriously it does. I'm forcing myself to take a hiatus because I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out. My husband is going on a trip next month. I'll start watching it again then. He's a huge Eagles fan but I'm a tad embarrassed at how many times he's said to me, "Your watching it again? From the beginning?" He expects me to jump to the Joe parts but I don't.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

P.S. I wonder if anyone here has read the Aerosmith Autobiography? That was interesting in that nearly each chapter was by a different band member. They all told their story. I really thought that was a good idea.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Yeah Genesis did that as well with their book Chapter and Verse; it's a great way to go about such a project.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

I love Aerosmith. I will definitely need to read that one. That is a really good concept.

Stuck on the Border

Walsh hit the stage at 4pm and plugged his guitar into a small Fender amp. One by one, the other Eagles showed up and plugged in. Joe, looking like a high school music teacher, shouted out, "Barefootin' - in a one, two, three, four." It sounded dangerous right off the bat. Walsh brought a new sound to the Eagles - that gritty guitar of "Life in the Fast Lane" and "Hotel California," plus the Long Run album - and the other band members seemed to want to show their rough edges too, at least at the soundchecks I witnessed on that tour. It was at these afternoon rock-a-thons that the Eagles played down and strip-bar dirty.
    The race for the soundcheck was about to begin - whoever got there first chose the songs - and Joe wanted us to ride in the limo...

Glenn Frey had been first at the soundcheck and was sitting at the piano. He wanted to do Ray Charles's "Lonely Avenue." Don Henley sang Ray's part and the rest of the Eagles were the Raelettes. It started out as a piano tune but wound up as a guitar tune, thanks to Walsh. Unforgettable. I managed to get that on cassette.
    - Tom Wright

Stuck on the Border

I would like to hear them do Lonely Avenue as I have Van Morrison's version. What a surprise that Don sang it. Both Don & Glenn are huge fans of Ray Charles.