Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Out on the Border Restless Heart's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It's certainly worth a read and then there's the 75-page discussion thread on here. I'm not kidding.
    I believe it. The documentary thread was over 200 pages. I love a board with a lot of discussion going on.

I'll check it out once I've read the book.

Stuck on the Border

Here's an audio interview with Ben Fong-Torres about his book "Taking it to the Limit":
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPgzpzUgLk4[/ame]

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thanks UTW!

Stuck on the Border

It looks like Andrew Vaughan may be having another go. A 400-page paperback to be released in November?
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-FAQ-Thats-Classic-Superstars/dp/1480385417/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402165701&sr=1-7&keywords=andrew+vaughan[/ame]
    If the Beatles wrote the soundtrack of the swinging 60s, then the Eagles did the same for the cynical 70s. The story of the Eagles is also the story of most artists of their timethe drugs, the music, the excesses, and the piles of cash. But the Eagles took it to the limit. And in Don Henley and Glenn Frey they had two songwriters who intuitively understood and accurately portrayed the changing America they lived in. They perfected the California sound, shifted power from record company to artist, and pioneered album-oriented rock. Eagles songs of the period are as memorable as any ever written, and their most popular album, Hotel California, became a timeless record of 70s decadence. In The Eagles FAQ, music critic Andrew Vaughan brings an insiders view into the various chapters of the groups fascinating history. He shows how they blended the best folk, rock, and country sounds of the 60s into a worldwide soundtrack of the 70s while challenging the industry status quo with a new business model. The story of their rise, fall, and rebirth is all heretheir mega-selling smashes, their tensions and breakups, the band members solo work, and their triumphant reunion and continued place at the top of the rock-and-roll tree.

Thanks UTW! I just pre-ordered it. Don't know if it will have any new info but I needed it for my EAGLES library.

Border Troubadour

The tagline confuses me on that - 'All that's left to know about classic rock's superstars'. If it weren't for the title you could be forgiven for thinking it had nothing to do with the Eagles - it's very unspecific.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    The tagline confuses me on that - 'All that's left to know about classic rock's superstars'. If it weren't for the title you could be forgiven for thinking it had nothing to do with the Eagles - it's very unspecific.
    It's one of a series, each on a different band with a different author, so there's a pattern. Others are:
    "The Who FAQ: All that's left to know about fity years of maxium R&B",
    "Rush FAQ: All that's left to know about rock's greatest power trio",
    "Nirvana FAQ: All that's left to know about the most important band of the 1990s",
    "Elvis FAQ: All that's left to know about the king's recorded works".

This may just be Andrew Vaughan's earlier book repackaged with fewer pcitures and more lists.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This may just be Andrew Vaughan's earlier book repackaged with fewer pcitures and more lists.
    That was my thought as well. I'll be checking on this before I order it, although, like HB I'll probably order it just because it is a book about the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Bought The Eagles - An American Band on clearance for 12 bucks at the B&N the other day. I will check it out when I have free time. I figure even if it sucks it was a pretty good deal !!

That's a great deal WW! I don't remember how much it was originally but I know it was definitely NOT $12.00. Good find!