Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

I am still getting throug
    Heven to Hell- kinda boring
    To The Limit-Not bad but I'm a slow reader, but it's good so far.

Stuck on the Border

There's a page on the band's time in Colorado in a book called "Colorado Rocks!". You can read it by going to amazon, choosing the "Look inside" feature and searching on "Eagles".
    There's a nice quote from Don and Bernie talks about Glyn Johns.
    There are also pages on Joe Walsh, Poco, Stone Canyon Band, Flying Burrito Bros.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/0871089300/ref=rdr_ext_tmb[/ame]
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-18-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Had a look in a discount bookshop I passed in Liverpool killing time before the concert on Thursday, and found Ben Fong-Torres's book down from £20 to £5 ($34 to $8.50). Needless to say it was purchased

Not as in-depth as Eliot but still cracking value with some brilliant pictures. One or two bits and bobs I didn't know but if you were an Eagles newbie or just generally interested it would be a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Had a look in a discount bookshop I passed in Liverpool killing time before the concert on Thursday, and found Ben Fong-Torres's book down from £20 to £5 ($34 to $8.50). Needless to say it was purchased

Not as in-depth as Eliot but still cracking value with some brilliant pictures. One or two bits and bobs I didn't know but if you were an Eagles newbie or just generally interested it would be a great read.
    Agreed! I bought it used off Amazon a while back for a song, and the pictures alone were worth it

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    Agreed! I bought it used off Amazon a while back for a song, and the pictures alone were worth it

Oh goodie, had to buy an academic book today on Amazon and decided I needed something to cheer me up so I bought the Ben Fong Torres' book as it was reduced to four pounds - glad I did now if it has yummy photos
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Divine - you will love it As Last Resort said, if you saw the HOTE doc, there isn't a lot of new information there (a few tidbits) and it has a few mistakes. But it is well written, and I enjoyed it.

Border Troubadour

Thanks TJH, I need an Eagles fix. I've been stuck in front of the laptop for the last two weeks only occasionally raising my head to tune into The Border.

Some Henley Homeopathy always works
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

In Marc Eliot's book, he talks about the HFO tour and recording and in particular about how it didn't include any songs written by Randy or Bernie. (There was also an interview with Randy from the 90s where he voiced this complaint and I believe Don Felder repeats it in his book). For Randy, this mattered because it meant he didn't receive any songwriting royalties from HFO. I wonder if the band took note of this and if it might be one of the reasons why Glenn started to sing TITTL (apart from the obvious that it's a good song).

TITTL found its way onto the set-list for the Millenium Shows and continued on the 2001 tour (the first since HFO) and has appeared frquently ever since. It was also recorded live for "Selected Works" and "Farewell 1". All of this means income for Randy - something that those who insist it should be retired "out of respect for Randy " are missing.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

UTW, we had a detailed discussion about this topic a while back, no idea which thread it is in, and I can't remember if you were a party to the discussion. If I recall correctly, with some semi-expert advice, we determined that there are at least four types of royalties that can be paid out to a writer of a song - when the song is played on the radio, when the song is licensed for a commercial or other marketing ad purposes, when sheet music is sold, and for live performances.

The only royalty that Randy missed out on was the "performance" royalty, and nobody on the board had any idea how much that would be. I had ventured that it is probably similar to radio play - i.e. pennies on the dollar. If the Eagles played TITTL 100 times on the tour, he would probably be entitled to about $10. My guess was Randy was disappointed to have his big song left out of the set list, and it's easier to express that in financial terms. Not saying he didn't lose out financially, he says he did and I believe him, but in the world of Eagles money, I can't imagine his losses were substantial. UNLESS he had a clause in his exit agreement that overrode the usual royalty payment terms, wherein if they played it in concert he got paid - that would be interesting, but I can't believe Glenn and Don would agree to something like that.