Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    When I was a new fan, I read To the Limit in order to find out more about these guys (whenever I get into something, I always try to find out as much as possible). I wasn't really surprised by anything in it, though. The Eagles did have a reputation, known even to me.

One thing I remember being confused about in a book was a mention of the Eagles "infamous baseball game" and no more detail than that. I was like "Huh? What happened to make a baseball game infamous?" It was not so infamous that I had heard of it, lol.
    I know this is an older thread, so I don't know if you ever found out the info on the baseball game. However, you piqued my interest when I came across this last night, so I GOOGLED: "Eagles band infamous baseball game:"

Click on the 2nd entry entitled "Eagles articles." There's one written by Glenn and Don entitled Eagles Land on Rolling Stone that goes into all the fun details. There looks to be a few other articles about the same, I just didn't have time to read the others. Enjoy!

Thanks evet, that was kind of you to go to the trouble of looking it up! Turns out I have that article on the EOC archives - when I read it, like you, I finally got what they were talking about! It just took me a while.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Aah great to read that article again!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

I'm reviving this old thread because recently, several books have been published mentioning the Eagles/an Eagle.

Runway Runaway by Lorelei Shellist - She dated Don Henley and he gets some ink.
    (See our thread discussing it here)

Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and Music of Laurel Canyon by Harvey Kubernik - Eagles mentions and some exclusive comments from Randy.
    (See our thread discussing it here)

Travelin' Man: On the Road and Behind the Scenes with Bob Seger by Tom Weschler and Gary Graff - some Glenn mentions.
    (See my post about it here)

Border Desperado

The John Einarson books are pretty good... he is a very nice person and tries to get it right.... growing up in LA and having lots of family in the music bidness and being a musician and having seen several of the 'important' shows and having played with lots of the different people etc... it is weird to read the books as history.

If you haven't read the books on the Byrds or the Burritos, you might enjoy them... lots of mentions of Eagles and the folks around the Eagles...

I wish that someone would write more about the music part of it (I know, limited audience, so it won't happen.) I just re-read the Burritos book and ended up listening to Manassas (the steve stills record) all day as I drove and between meetings (thank you iphone)

Bernie and Chris Hillman are such pivotal people in the history of country rock.... the web of friends and bandmates still resonates today... the 'small world' thing is so apparent....

What also is strange is that everyone always thinks that things happened for a 'reason' when most people were just trying to make it.... I know lots of people HATE the Eagles because they made it and Gram Parsons died... there are the people who pit Emmy vs. Ronstadt as if there was a competition there...

For me the timelines on things are often hazy... I can remember specific things at specific gigs... but, maybe not which year or who was where on the bill... I was just going to a show!

I remember our little band (a 'legit' bakersfield style country band) opening for Lone Justice and Dwight Yoakum... at the time, we thought.. cool 1200.00 for 60-90 minutes work for some 'punk' bands (we thought they were cow punks ha ha!)... pretty funny! I had no idea that they would be famous or whatever...

I can remember seeing Vince Gill in Fred Walecki's guitar shop and knowing he had just gotten a gig with Pure Prairie League (he is about 3 years older than me, which is nothing now, but back then it was about a million years older) and knowing he probably needed the job... by then that band was pretty much a pop band....

The part that REALLY puzzles me is when someone will say Stephen Stills is legit and Firefall sucks when the bands were almost identical and they recorded some of the same songs....

Or people will slag the Bee Gees and say the Burritos were artistic gold when the Burritos loved the Bee Gees and recorded their songs....

History, as it is written in books, is just not very good at capturing the actual moment, but it is really good at creating one...

I love reading history, but I temper it knowing that some of the incidents that are discussed are very different in my own memory (not saying mine is correct, just that so much of memory is subjective... what if you had the hiccups that night, you'd think it was awful and everyone else would say it was terrific.)

I played a job last friday night and we'd added a new guy and I was kind of watching and helping and the result was that I played very self consciously all night and did not feel like I played well at all... I was happy that the gig went fine and the new guy is working out, but I was bummed about my own playing.... as we are packing up I have about 10 people come up independently and say 'man, you really had it tonight!'

All professional musicians will tell you... smile, smile, smile (even if your amp is on fire and you have broken guitar strings) so, I smiled and thanked them and asked them if they wanted to try my guitar... they all just wanted pictures (of what? an old man in a bar band... okie dokie, smile, smile, smile!)

If you've seen the DVD about Gram Parsons, Bernie's comments seem the most accurate and the least 'made up'.... but, from what little I know about the actual folks.... Bernie can be pretty blunt and pretty fierce in his 'kicking down the reality'....

When all is said and done... thank goodness we have the actual music and you can go back and find where it came from and listen to that... the people end up being just the vehicle that brought us those sounds.... but, I'd sure love to read about the music side of things and the composition process and in depth studio stuff....
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Thank you for your thought-provoking post, Bender. It's true that many times we tend to ascribe great meaning to things that were probably largely a result of happenstance, or make something mundane into something dramatic. I think it is due to the urge to make history into an understandable and entertaining narrative.

Bernie has always seemed like a frank, straightforwardly honest person to me from what I've seen and read. I don't know the man, obviously, but that's always been my impression. I respect him for it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your post from me as well, bender. I love history too in spite of the fact that many times it does end up being 'revisionist' history. I wasn't aware of some of those 'history' books that you mentioned so I guess I have some catching up to do.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, I looked at the Seger book in Barnes & Noble today and Glenn barely gets a mention. He's referred to a couple times and there are a couple paragraphs about how badly he and Don wanted Seger to succeed. I was suprised, but as it's largely a photo book with some anecdotes, I guess I shouldn't be.

A must for Seger fans, though!

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I guess this is a good place to post this. While checking Amazon for anything new I found a 1976 Eagles Tour Book was how it was listed. It's different from the others that I have. It has more of a matte finish where the others are glossy. A lot of the pictures are out of focus to me but I only paid $9.00 for it including shipping. The last pages have full page pictures of Glenn, Don H, Randy, Don F and Joe that make it worth every penny to me. The picture of Joe is the only one I have seen before. They look good now but in 1976 they were gorgeous.
    http://www.eaglesfans.com/visuals/memorabilia.htm If you go to this web site and click on Eagles Hotel California Program. That is the one I bought.
    Last edited by AzEaglesFan; 10-18-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Bought that one off of ebay quite a while back. Don't remember how much I paid for it but it was probably about the same. But there is no pictures of Timothy in it. It is from Hotel California era so before Tim.
    He sings it high, he plays it low