Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

Nice find F50! So the Eagles weren't really into drugs that much .......
    I would really love to find out more about Don and that famous bed incident....... He was a bit of an ass there firing Fernandez. Fame obviously got to him at that point.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

Not nice Don but as the author said, maybe there were other reasons leading up to Don firing Fernandez or maybe he was just an ass, as you said Lacken and needed to grow up.....

....right now, I'm still thinking of THAT book and Pretty Maids All in a Row ...maybe that's why he needed a King Sized Bed!!!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Cool read! Love the part about the Eagles not being much into drugs, just joints and blow.

I thought that I read somewhere that Fernandez was partially fired because of excessive drug use, but I can't remember.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    Not nice Don but as the author said, maybe there were other reasons leading up to Don firing Fernandez or maybe he was just an ass, as you said Lacken and needed to grow up.....

....right now, I'm still thinking of THAT book and Pretty Maids All in a Row ...maybe that's why he needed a King Sized Bed!!!
    Now - that's just wrong, DD!

And as far as Don firing Richie Fernandez, I believe Don felt his partying was interfering with his job performance.

And thanks for the link, F50. I haven't had a chance to read the article, but, hopefully, I can later this afternoon. Gotta sign off for now!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Cool read! Love the part about the Eagles not being much into drugs, just joints and blow.

I thought that I read somewhere that Fernandez was partially fired because of excessive drug use, but I can't remember.
    Yes, Henley was quoted in the Elliot book as saying Fernandez was a nice guy but a pothead, and it made his job performance unreliable.

Banned

I'm pretty sure that Don had special bed requirements due to his back problems.... related to drumming and singing at the same time.

Apparently, it got so bad that Don played some of the drums on The Long Run album, laid flat on his back.

How can you play the drums while lying on your back?! You'd have to suspend the drums from the ceiling and that would change their sound, one would think.

Years ago, the Miami Herald interviewed the two ladies who owned Home at Last, the business that found local homes for visiting musicians to rent, usually when they were recording at Criteria. They mentioned that the members of the Eagles wanted to sleep in beds exactly like the ones they had at home: specific types of mattresses, headboards, etc. That must have been mostly due to poor Don and his back problems.

Or maybe they were just being brattish! One of the women said, "They like to call at the last second and say 'Here we come.'" So the women had to then scramble to the warehouse where they kept the special Eagles bedding and find a big, glam house to rent. Usually it was the house pictured on Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard album. That's where they stayed when they recorded Hotel California.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 08-24-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I'm amused at the idea of them sharing a house, no matter how glam. Also, that at one point their idea of room trash was having a food fight.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've heard of Don playing drums while lying on his back. I don't know if it's true or even physically possible. I would think that it would do more damage or cause even more pain!

I just want to be a fly on the wall of one of those houses, especially the one Don and Glenn lived in!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I took a photo of the house in Golden Beach where they stayed during the making of Hotel California. There are a lot of no trespassing signs around so I kept a careful distance. As you can see, the house has been renovated/changed quite a bit since the 1970s but you may be able to recognize bits of it, like the big picture window.