Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

I gave in and bought the FAQ book last week (just before the competition was announced) and now I've read a lot of it, I can see why there hasn't been a lot said about it. It's a good "starter" book but doesn't have much for an obsessive fan. The author is very careful and there's little gossip, opinion or controversy. The book doesn't have many pictures and those it has are in b&w.

Pros
    - it has good perspective - it puts the band into the context of the time, location and the music scene
    - it's not just a chronological account as there are chapters on subjects like "the fifth eagle", guitars, romantic entanglements
    - the tone is neutral and non-judgemental
    - the author gives his sources for quotes
    - a few new titbits about the pre-Eagle days

Cons
    - very little new and less depth than some of the others
    - although the author says he has interviewed many of the people through the years, it doesn't come across
    - he raised some interesting discussion points and then covers the subject too superficially
    - stupid mistakes that should have been caught (eg getting the year wrong for the Cranston benefit)

From this and other books, I find it interesting that despite Don Henley's stated feelings about privacy, there is a lot more written about his private life than Glenn's. It might be that the press is more interested in Don but I also think it's because Don is less guarded in interviews and over the years has done more publicity.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you for the review, UtW.

"I find it interesting that despite Don Henley's stated feelings about privacy, there is a lot more written about his private life than Glenn's." Good observation! It still astounds me that it's not well known that Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" was written about Glenn. I already mentioned the meticulously researched Sheila Weller biography "Girls Like Us" - even she didn't know about Glenn, and this is an author who tracked down Joni's childhood friends and neighbors in the Canadian hinterlands.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

UtW, thanks for reviewing the book! That has helped me decide whether or not to buy it. Probably not!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you for the review, UtW.

"I find it interesting that despite Don Henley's stated feelings about privacy, there is a lot more written about his private life than Glenn's." Good observation! It still astounds me that it's not well known that Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" was written about Glenn. I already mentioned the meticulously researched Sheila Weller biography "Girls Like Us" - even she didn't know about Glenn, and this is an author who tracked down Joni's childhood friends and neighbors in the Canadian hinterlands.
    NMB, I have been searching for years for proof that "Help Me" was actually about Glenn, with no luck. Could you give me a reference for this. Thanks

The ladies of the forum, to paraphrase a Joni album title! I think it was Soda who said she was told directly by a source who absolutely would know that "Help Me" and "Car on a Hill" are about Glenn.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    NMB, I have been searching for years for proof that "Help Me" was actually about Glenn, with no luck. Could you give me a reference for this. Thanks
    I wouldn't go to Songfacts for proof but it's a source;

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5920

They've nothing so far for Car On A Hill but the lyrics are in keeping with the little we know of Glenn... plus he did have "Gladys":

Last edited by Funk 50; 10-13-2015 at 03:45 PM.

I've heard that Girls Like Us is going to be made into a movie. I hope Glenn doesn't mind that his friend Jackson Browne will get the credit for inspiring Joni to write those two songs!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The ladies of the forum, to paraphrase a Joni album title! I think it was Soda who said she was told directly by a source who absolutely would know that "Help Me" and "Car on a Hill" are about Glenn.
    It was me who was told that.

Thanks MBM, Funk50 & FP.

I'm currently reading a very well-researched book on the band Bread (don't judge!) by first-time author Malcolm Searles. In his post-Bread career, Jimmy Griffin was in a band with Randy Meisner called Black Tie. They released an album in 1985 called When the Night Comes Falling Down on a small, independent label. OK, all of this is reasonably well known.

What is I believe "new" information for most of us is that Bernie Leadon joined the band on their U.S. promotional tour in early 1986. I don't recall coming across this nugget of info in any Eagles books/interviews/what-have-you. The author cites Billboard reviews of two shows, among other sources.

Black Tie failed to secure major label support and went into dormancy for five years. Bernie's involvement appears to have been confined to that several months in 1986. So it's not earth-shattering stuff, but I thought it was pretty significant and strangely under-reported. Maybe it's just my advanced case of Meisner mania that makes it seem so.