Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

Sanders was a friend of Glenn and JD at the time he was researching Manson. There are a couple of stories from that time. One has Glenn and JD turning up to look for Sanders at his hotel and causing panic because people thought they were Manson family, and the other has Glenn throwing milk bottles at Manson family members hanging around outside the place in Echo Park.

I don't remember where I got the 900 pages from, but in this interview, Sanders says it has 4 volumes.

http://www.georgepetros.com/writings...ds/sanders.pdf
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 04-14-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, UtW. I vaguely remember hearing the Echo Park bottling anecdote but didn't understand it (still don't, really!).

They must have been friends for a long time - from Echo Park (1969? 70?) until the Henley scandal in 1980.

Sanders is 76 years old now. I wonder what will become of his manuscript. Four volumes!

Stuck on the Border

I'm hoping this messy link will take you to a Google books search with the motel story.

The milk bottle story is in Barney Hoskin's HotelCalifornia book.
    At night it got scarier, especially when The Fugs' Ed Sanders - researching a book on Charles Manson - stayed with them. "A couple of times," Jackson Browne remembers, "Glenn had to throw milk bottles through the window to discourage what Sanders called 'the sleazo inputs' who were after him."

As I mentioned in the Book Club thread, I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Mick Fleetwood's autobiography, "Play On." Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles were both on the Warner label, if I understand correctly. They were the two most successful rock bands of the time (along with Zeppelin and perhaps a very few others). The two bands were rivals but it seems to have been a friendly rivalry.

Therefore, it struck me as odd to realize that both bands released their major albums, Rumours and Hotel California, at virtually the same time: December 1976. I would have assumed that the label (and the band themselves) would avoid stepping on each other in the marketplace. The Beatles and the Stones had a cooperative, informal agreement in the 60s not to release records at the same time - they would wait a few weeks or a few months, whichever was best to avoid direct competition.

Why didn't the Eagles and the Mac do this? Mick doesn't address it at all, and he was the band's manager at the time, so apparently it wasn't an issue. The record industry was at the zenith of its sales, so maybe everyone felt there was plenty to go around. Anyone know?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Interesting point about the close proximity of the HC and Rumours releases. I have no idea why, but I would cautiously suggest this may have been because there was no indication that Rumours was going to be quite so successful? The Eagles had already had two US #1 singles (BOML and OOTN) and had just released Greatest Hits Volume 1 so, especially with Joe Walsh coming on board, there was probably quite some expectation that the next Eagles record would be a hit. Obviously I was not around at the time so can't say for certain, but I don't get a sense that there were such big expectations for the next Fleetwood Mac album - their previous album was the first with that line up. Still, no matter what the reason, I don't think it can be argued that it hindered the sales of either album!

Indeed, they did alright.

To hear Mr. Fleetwood tell it, there was a lot of buzz and expectation within the music industry about Rumours. Their 1975 album hit #1 and had three hit singles. Not as impressive as the Eagles' track record, but apparently FM had a lot of momentum gathering, both in record sales and touring popularity.

Hmph. I see the Wikipedia entry on Rumours says it was released in February 1977. But Mick distinctly says in his book it was released "before Christmas, 1976."

Just breezed through it. Seemed strangely flat, considering what an amazing career Mr. Johns has had. I read the Eagles chapter carefully though.

Do let us know what you think when you've finished.

Does anyone know if the Eagles attended the 1976 Grammys? I've never heard of them attending an awards show - too uncool - but Toni Tennille (in her recent memoir) says they were there.

Stuck on the Border

From everything I have read, no they never went to the Grammy Awards. I read that when they won the Grammy for Lying Eyes in 1976, Joe accepted for them as they were touring. Apparently at that time they did not believe it was fair to single out one artist for awards.

Not sure about '76... there's the one story that they didn't want to go unless they were sure they'd win - I believe that was '77, when they did end up winning with Hotel California.

I've also seen a couple Grammy '78 photos with Glenn and Randy, but it looks like an after-party or something.