Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    That would make sense to me but with JD helping out with NKIT bad VOL, plus re-recording ITC (couple other outside writers), it doesn’t seem that represented how they felt about it.
    Sorry, I'm terrible at acronyms. What does ITC stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Sorry, I'm terrible at acronyms. What does ITC stand for?
    In The City.

I guess JD, Jack and others were exempt from being called outside writers.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I recently read - well, skimmed - Patti Davis' 1992 memoir "The Way I See It." The esteemed Forum member Scarlet Sun told us (in the "What's Going On in Your Life?" thread) that there was Bernie/Eagles content. So! Off to the library I went.

Good news: she's actually not a bad writer. She's able to paint a visual scene in relatively few words. I could vividly picture Bernie's tiny hillside home in Topanga and the flowering acacia under which they had their first romantic encounter.

Bad news: Ms. Davis gives precious little content about other people. She may be protecting their privacy or, as one Amazon reviewer asserted, is simply not very interested in anyone but herself. We hear nothing about the other Eagles band members or how they reacted to her presence on tour. What she says about Bernie: he's one of ten kids. He was worried about being killed in a plane crash, so he and Patti traveled to gigs in a camper for awhile. They remain friends. That's pretty much it.

Bonus: Davis was also involved with Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, around the same time, and writes movingly about him. They shared a common bond of being abused as children.
    Didn't she write something Bernie almost quitting the band once or twice before he actually did?

I suppose it’s possible that during the making of the OOTN album, Glenn and Don H genuinely didn’t want to use outside writers. They were pretty much on fire with their songwriting at the time. I brought this up before—OOTN is the 1st (and only) album without JD, Jackson or Jack Tempchin as co-writers. Other than Bernie’s brother and then girlfriend, it’s an Eagles-only creation.

Once the album became their first #1, the bar was set high and the pressure to succeed with the next one may have induced them to accept outside help.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    In The City.

I guess JD, Jack and others were exempt from being called outside writers.
    Thank you! That was hurting my brain. And no, they weren't exempt - Patti Davis specifically mentioned JD Souther, Jack Tempchin and Jackson Browne as outside writers. I don't think it was a real policy - or if it was, they reconsidered real quick.

It couldn't be a real policy because if Patti couldn't write a song on the album, then JD, Jackson, Jack and even Bob shouldn't written songs with the Eagles.

But than again. I went on Wikipedia and JD didn't even write a song on the One Of These Nights album, but was back for the HC album. I guess the OOTN album was strictly written by the Eagles and I can see why she said no outside writers.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-14-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Didn't she write something Bernie almost quitting the band once or twice before he actually did?
    Yes, she said he was on the verge for some time, but we knew that already.

What did you think of her peyote-induced vision of Bernie dying in a plane crash? That's what influenced him to arrive a day late for the start of a tour, and travel to several dates in a camper with Patti. It's easy to understand why the rest of the Eagles may have thought she wasn't so great to have around.

Stuck on the Border

Jackson Browne kind of confirms the intention to write their own songs after OTB in an interview:
    “We only want to write our own songs, and we just want to do our songs.” But it, you know, it was also—it was kind of an ambition. They knew that’s how you make money, as well. And if they were going to succeed, they were going to succeed with their own material. They demanded it of themselves, and the songs got really good. I thought the songs got—I mean, they’re so memorable and so—and they did continue to write with J. D.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/er...ackson-browne/

I just finished reading Olivia Newton-John’s autobiography (in one sitting; sadly there’s not much content) and Glenn Frey gets a nice mention. When Olivia first moved to the U.S. circa 1972, she was living at the Sunset Marquis in Los Angeles. So was Glenn. They spent a pleasant afternoon together, talking mostly about their touring experiences. The next morning, he sent her a bouquet of roses with a card saying, “Welcome to America. Glenn Frey.” Sweet. She never saw him again, though they did share a manager many years later (not Irving).

Stuck on the Border

Wow - interesting ! Thanks NMB, learn something new all the time about the guys. I assume they had the same manager in the 80's when Irving was not Glenn's manager. I also assume that is an apartment complex in LA where Glenn was living.