Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

No, the Sunset Marquis is a hotel. I seem to recall it had a rowdy reputation, but Olivia seemed fine with it. She was young and scared to be so far from home and one night she heard gunfire from outside.

OT: I couldn't believe she didn't write about Andy Gibb and/or the Bee Gees. She only mentions John Denver in passing (they did a fine duet on "Fly Away").

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I just finished reading Olivia Newton-John’s autobiography (in one sitting; sadly there’s not much content) and Glenn Frey gets a nice mention. When Olivia first moved to the U.S. circa 1972, she was living at the Sunset Marquis in Los Angeles. So was Glenn. They spent a pleasant afternoon together, talking mostly about their touring experiences. The next morning, he sent her a bouquet of roses with a card saying, “Welcome to America. Glenn Frey.” Sweet. She never saw him again, though they did share a manager many years later (not Irving).
    Thanks for sharing this NMB. Glenn was a sweetheart for sending her flowers. I wonder what he thought when she became big in country music then a mega-star thanks to Grease.

The Sunset Marquis has a lot of history with rock musicians. If the walls could talk...lol.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Cool! That was so sweet of Glenn! I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more to the story!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - Glenn was kind and thoughtful even in his younger days. Olivia's story just validates similar stories told by others. Thanks for sharing, NMB.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

No, the Sunset Marquis is a hotel. I seem to recall it had a rowdy reputation, but Olivia seemed fine with it. She was young and scared to be so far from home and one night she heard gunfire from outside.

OT: I couldn't believe she didn't write about Andy Gibb and/or the Bee Gees. She only mentions John Denver in passing (they did a fine duet on "Fly Away").
    Thank You NMB ! That really was sweet of Glenn. Obviously, I have never heard of the place-lol ! I am surprised he was living at a hotel. I guess it was cheaper then renting an apartment. I know in those early Eagles days they made very little money.
    And so true - boy if those walls could talk.

Kind of strange about her not discussing her relationship with Andy Gibb. He seemed like a sweet guy who was over whelmed with his celebrity status. And, his coke problem was through the roof. What years did Livi date him ? Kind of classy she did not spill the beans on all the people she dated. However, sure sounds like it made it a boring book.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh, she didn't date Andy, AFAIK; sorry if my post was misleading. They sang two wonderful duets together "I Can't Help It" and "Rest Your Love on Me Awhile" (written by Andy's brothers) and performed on tv specials together. They seemed to have a wonderful musical chemistry. Olivia recorded a fantastic version of the Bee Gees song "Come On Over" and Barry described her as a friend of the family.

I'm just surprised she didn't discuss more of her musical endeavors. The book was focused more on her health issues (which are serious, not downplaying that at all).

She was probably also being respectful of other people's privacy. She speaks movingly about her friendship with and admiration of Karen Carpenter but is careful not to over-share sensitive information.

I just finished reading Olivia Newton-John’s autobiography (in one sitting; sadly there’s not much content) and Glenn Frey gets a nice mention. When Olivia first moved to the U.S. circa 1972, she was living at the Sunset Marquis in Los Angeles. So was Glenn. They spent a pleasant afternoon together, talking mostly about their touring experiences. The next morning, he sent her a bouquet of roses with a card saying, “Welcome to America. Glenn Frey.” Sweet. She never saw him again, though they did share a manager many years later (not Irving).
    Oh, how lovely! Thank you for sharing this tidbit.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

There's a new book out by Bob Thompson called Last Encore: My Time With Glenn Frey, The Eagles, and Other Hit Artists. From the Amazon blurb:

Bobby "Norton" Thompson left New Jersey in 1969 with $30 and a one way plane ticket to LA .To make a living, he hired out as a "roadie" for several hit bands in the 1970's before landing a plum gig with the Eagles as Glenn Frey's guitar tech. More than a guitar tech for Glenn both on tour and off, he was a good friend, a close confidant, and at Glenn's side on all his projects on records, TV, film, and solo artist tours, as well as the legendary Eagles band tours. And... he was a survivor of the Third Encore parties after the Eagles shows.The cast of Nortons life story includes wild and interesting characters like "Chainsaw Joe, "Balloon," Frankie The Blade," and the "teen King." HIs stories offer more than glimpses into the roadie and rock n roll lifestyle. They actually take the reader there day to day. Eventually Norton made his way through rock n roll to become a rock entrepreneur, owning two of the biggest rehearsal complexes in the world, one in LA, the other in Nashville with his business partner Glenn Frey that will set he and his family up for the rest of their lives. Norton's is a success story that began with $30 and a plane ticket, came to fruition on 10 acres in Tennessee, and ended up full circle at the Hollywood eulogy and last encore for his friend, boss, and mentor, Glenn Frey.
    I haven't gotten it yet (but will), thought y'all might be interested.

https://smile.amazon.com/Last-Encore...1098905&sr=8-1

Stuck on the Border

The kindle edition is quite cheap, so I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Looks like it’s gotten some really good reviews although one is particularly scathing.

Thanks, CAinOH, it does sound interesting.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...