Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

"Reciprocate". Had to look that one up.

Stuck on the Border

I wonder which guitar parts played by Felder were something "Glenn' fingers just couldn't play". Eagles songs don't have that challenging guitar parts in the first place in terms of notes (perhaps Glenn just couldn't make them sound good?) and the Don't Give Up intro didn't seem to be too hard for Glenn's fingers.

Glenn's warm personality and his loyalty was admirable, as was the fact he wouldn't let you get away with letting him down or disrespect him. In other words, he reciprocated and wouldn't let you walk over him.

I'm not surprised at all about Felder and his constant woe-is-me whining. It would wane on anybody. It was interesting though to hear it from the road crew! Just goes to show you that Glenn wasn't wrong nor was he in the wrong for getting rid of him. No one liked that stuff. It was good to hear that it wasn't just "The Gods" that got tired of it or had a problem. I'd wager to bet that Walsh and Schmit got tired of it too.

I am surprised though about Glenn's guitar parts he would create that he supposedly couldn't play. I'm with Chaim all the way on this. Glenn was an awesome and catastrophically underrated guitarist!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you UndertheWire, Dreamer and New Kid for sharing your thoughts on the book. Does Thompson mention Randy? Don H and Glenn contributed vocals to Randy’s 1980 “One More Song” album. And I wondered maybe if the band or Irving talked about him.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you UndertheWire, Dreamer and New Kid for sharing your thoughts on the book. Does Thompson mention Randy? Don H and Glenn contributed vocals to Randy’s 1980 “One More Song” album. And I wondered maybe if the band or Irving talked about him.
    NMB - I don't remember him saying anything about Randy. He did not join the road crew until the LR Tour.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't recall any specific mentions of Randy either, NMB. If there was, it was probably in the context of him being an original member.

And re: Glenn creating guitar parts he couldn't play, I would question that as well. Of course, it's not impossible, but, I find it more likely that he created parts that he thought were well-suited for other band members to play live e.g. I Can't Tell You Why. As WF said, Glenn was an underrated guitarist, but his RA limited him in his later years.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

So a few weeks ago i had rented a book out from the library entitled "Rock Star Babylon" by Jon Holmes. It's all about rock stars behaving badly. I honestly wasn't expecting any Eagles stories, I just got it because it sounded funny and interesting. But there I was flipping through the book, seeing stories about the Led Zeppelin mudshark episode, Nikki Sixx and a groupie, Ozzy and a bat. All of a sudden a name caught my eye, Felder! I nearly dropped the book and screamed out "What?!" There was only one chapter on them and it was called "Where Eagles fear to tread" I was thinking "what kind of shit could they possibly have on -" and then it hit me. They're talking about the whole incident where Felder and Glenn almost came to blows right on stage. Didn't go into great detail about it, but it did say that ever since then, the band members each have a designated piece of carpet that they stand on, so they're a safe distance from each other. Ouch.

Stuck on the Border

I don't know about this story...... I never saw carpet on the stage where they stood when I saw them in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I don't know about this story...... I never saw carpet on the stage where they stood when I saw them in concert.
    It's from some comedy writer, so I doubt that part is real. But just the thought of it is a bit cringeworthy. I just mentioned the book because it surprised me to see a story about the guys in it.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I love your avatar Elle - I have that slogan on a t-shirt so true!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP