Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pebble Beach 2006

Default Re: Nancy and Lissa's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure: Day

Honey, he already does!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    And I agree - Glenn Frey: Simply the Best.

Hmmm, looks like Dreamer has acquired some new reading material. OUTSTANDING

Out on the Border

That chapter makes me weak in the knees.

Default Nancy & Lissa's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure: Day 3

OK, here it is guys, the final installment!

Day Three

Lissa and I had no idea what were getting into the next day as we rode to Pebble Beach. “Think there will be less people than the first day?” We mused. “I suppose some folks who had to work Thursday and Friday might come today since it’s the weekend. Anyway, we’ll be sure to thank Glenn for the balls and hopefully get our picture made with him today.” Boy, were we ignorant. There were THOUSANDS of people at Pebble Beach – each hole surrounded by over a hundred people, the bigger holes surrounded by several hundred. They had set up bleachers to accommodate them. It was a regular media event – cameras everywhere. We were speechless.

A little info about the course itself: most of it follows the coastline high on a cliff. The views are stunning. A few fairways actually slope down the side of the cliff a bit. Unlike the other courses, most of the holes were a good distance from the crowd – certainly the most gorgeous ones on the cliffside. It was probably a good idea. With the amount of people there, someone would be bound to fall off the edge! The crowd Saturday was definitely a different set than had been there the previous days.... and not in a good way. It wasn’t just that there were more people. A lot of the people were drunk and stupid. Some pushed and shoved. Others just yelled at all the celebrities walking by for autographs, and got ugly if they didn’t get them. Glenn didn’t go near those types, and who can blame him? He wasn’t able to give many autographs at all, or do the kind of crowd interaction that had been his practice before. Besides the set up of the fairways and the unpleasant onlookers, the pace of the game was an additional deterrent. It had gotten off to a slow start and the golfers were hustling through, leaving no time to socialize – no breaks.

Glenn played pretty well that day. Sometimes his shots were better than the pros’! He was wearing khaki pants that were a bit tighter and well-fitted than on Friday, and a dark blue sweatshirt with a white polo shirt underneath. The weather that day was nice and sunny, but a chilly wind blew in from the sea. Glenn took off the sweatshirt for a few holes, but wound up putting it back on once we neared the cliffs. He alternated between a visor and a hat, which as before sometimes got put on backwards. For once, Lissa and I were appropriately dressed ourselves. She had on her sweater; I had on my Texas A&M sweatshirt from my undergrad days with that big honkin’ coat from Thursday. Hey, third time’s the charm!

As you guys know, Lissa and I had a bad habit of showing up late and missing the first few tees. We were determined to get there on time today, but we’d had a bit to drink the night before and wound up oversleeping a little. Still, fortune smiled upon us. We got to the first hole just in time to hear Glenn’s introduction. Perfect! We noticed the huge amounts of people but decided it would probably thin out at later holes. Boy, were we wrong!

The first cute moment we saw from Glenn was on the 2nd hole. For some reason, there was a backup of three teams on that hole. When the first team moved on, Stadler thought it was their turn to go, not realizing there was one more team ahead of him. He took his shot accidentally, and then the two pros who were supposed to go took their turn. The confusion had spread to Glenn, who was already walking towards where the amateurs were to tee off, thinking it was his turn. His team called out to him not to go, and when he realized his mistake, he plopped down on the grass near the ropes where the crowd was gathered (including us). Then he suddenly sprawled out flat on his back and sighed in a mock-wistful tone, “Oh, I so wanted to hit!”

He saw us at the 4th fairway. There was a bit of confusion for we spectators, as we had to double back and head in the opposite direction in order get to the next fairway because the direct path was blocked off for a processional. Lissa and I were unsure if we were going the right way and we don’t have the best track record in that area, so while she waited down the path, I ran up to an official to inquire. After I got the info from her, I saw Glenn was teeing off. I went up and watched him, then once he was through, ran down to Lissa to give the report. What I didn’t realize was that Glenn was heading the same way and was parallel to me. When I rushed up breathlessly to Lissa and started telling her “We have to go down THAT way…” I realized she wasn’t looking at me, she was looking at Glenn, who was waving at us! I stepped back and stammered, “Hey, guy!” – as if he were one of my male friends that I had spotted at Starbuck’s or something, and not Glenn Frey. Nancy the Dweeb strikes again! Glenn said to us, “We have to go down low today.” Neither Lissa and I are too sure what that meant – I’m thinking going to low fairways on the cliffs? – but the idea seemed to be that he wasn’t going to be interacting with the crowd much.

The next few fairways were the ones at the edge of the cliff. I found myself distracted from Glenn as I looked around at the gorgeous vistas. It really is an amazing view. Perhaps my distraction explains why I didn’t initially hear “FORE!” yelled as Clay Walker hit a ball right towards us on the 6th. Then I saw people scrambling out of the way and figured out the problem real fast. Lissa stepped to the side, but I just froze, arms akimbo, eyes wide, praying it didn’t hit me. It whizzed right above our heads but we were fine. Too bad my graceful pose was caught by all watching the path of the ball! Clay made it up on the next hit, however, so don’t feel too bad for him (by the way, Clay eventually made the cut).

The 7th fairway was quite a sight. It wrapped around the side of the cliff, and balls that went astray most likely wound up in the ocean thrashing below. The wind whipped over the cliff and it seemed the strategy was simply to hit as hard as you could into the wind and hope the ball was carried to the hole around the side of the cliff successfully. On this hole, Glenn’s ball actually found a better position than the pros’ did!

As we tromped to the 8th, one of the guys who was in charge of pointing at the ball as it flew through the air asked us if we could see it and help him. That’s how distant these tees were! We tried, but we couldn’t see a thing. (Side note: a little after this, Stadler and his caddy got an eyeful of two people who were having sex on the beach below! The caddy yelled at them to stop, as they were a distraction! The other guys were cracking up.)

For me, this was a time for me to take advantage of the fact Glenn couldn’t really see us and look my fill at him. When he was up closer, I’d do the old look-elsewhere-but-watch-from-the-corner-of-my-eyes trick. He caught me at this a few times, once in an embarrassingly obvious manner as I kept looking away and looking back to find he was still watching. Subtlety is not my forte. Therefore, I was a little relieved that I could safely just gaze. The man is so handsome he could be the subject of a poetic blazon, and I certainly stared enough to compose one.

It didn’t hurt that on the 9th hole, when Glenn was closer, we got to see him stretch his quads again on a bench facing us, or that on the 15th he bent over directly in front of us and took his time setting his tee. We're terrible, lol.

The 12th hole was lunchtime for us, once again with our granola bars, but the guys themselves weren’t taking too much of a break. This was where Glenn was interviewed. We were so excited to see it once we got home, because we couldn’t hear a word of it – it was far away, and we were walking down the fairway.

We’ve told you guys about the fact that there were some “undesirables” in the crowd. At the end of the 13th hole, a bunch of frat boys wearing matching shirts were attempting to give their frat’s cap to the celebrities to wear. They would chant their names – “GLENN! GLENN! CLAY! CLAY!” Glenn ignored them but Clay eagerly ran over. At the end of that hole, as Glenn walked by, a girl started singing Hotel California – badly. And she sang a LOT of it. She started at the beginning… “On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair…” I prayed she would stop there, but she only paused to take a breath before launching into the rest of the verse, then the whole freaking chorus! I was just cringing. He didn’t ever look her way, and I can only hope he didn’t her “vocal stylings.” They were making my ears bleed.

The 14th hole was really long, and very close to the crowds, so a lot happened along it. At the initial tee point, there were a lot of loud drunks hooting and hollering and trying to get autographs. We were too far away to hear what they were actually saying, but apparently it was something that annoyed Glenn. As he walked down the fairway past us, he turned and said “That’s why we’re third in the world instead of first” (I’m thinking America’s third in what - the number of intelligent people?) Lissa joked, “Some people need to have their alcohol cut off.” Once past us, he signed a few autographs. Some girls hugged him – Lissa and I bit back our jealousy, lol. Unfortunately, there were some nasty jerks near us who wanted Glenn to sign something and chanted “H-O” at him. Lissa and I didn’t know what they meant, and neither did Glenn, so he just passed them by. They hollered after him “The Heat Is On” – which I guess is what that referred to? – and then got pissy because he ignored them, yelling “When are you gonna go back to acting?” Losers!

While this isn’t Glenn-related, one more example of the lameness of some of the people in the crowd occurred at that same fairway when Lissa and I saw one guy actually steal Clay Walker’s ball that had gone out into the crowd. Clay went to hit it and it was gone! Then the clueless idiot came up to us asking for a marker so he could get Clay to autograph it. HELLO, Clay would KICK YOUR ASS if you asked him to autograph the stolen ball. Geez! Lissa and I looked for a pen to give him just so we could see it happen, lol. Too bad he got impatient and left.

A cute moment occurred on the 16th when Glenn hit his ball close to where the crowds were. We happened to be right at the place it landed. As he paused and looked at it, trying to figure out how to line up the hit in the taller grass at such a bad angle, a guy near us said, “Hit it now or you’ll choke.” Glenn looked at him in surprise. “You know I’m right!” The guy said. Glenn grinned, mulled it over for a second, then yelled to the rest of the team heading away, “I’m goin’!” We all laughed. After he hit the shot, he seemed to think it was pretty good, saying, “That’s the best I can do from here.” He then turned to the guy and joked, “Do you wanna caddy for a while? Carl’s getting tired.” (His caddy Carl did look pretty worn out, hauling that bag around! Glenn demonstrated his consideration for his caddy on the 18th as well, when he raked his own sandtrap instead of making Carl do it.) It was later on this same fairway that he sunk a shot when he didn’t think he was going to, to the applause and cheers of the crowd. He turned towards us and made this astonished face, like “I can’t believe I hit it!”

Now, it was time for the 18th. At this point I was in major pain. I had worn the wrong shoes – boots with heels – and my feet were hurting like crazy. The shoes themselves were cracked and ruined. It was a long fairway, and I plopped down shamelessly on the grass by the side and waited for Glenn and the processional to come by. Unfortunately, there were some nearby college boys who made the other loser fans look sophisticated and mature. They were trying to get autographs from everyone coming by, and while they waited, they played with the fairway boundary markers. One guy pressed up against the boundary rope so that his gut hung out over it in an absolutely repulsive manner. Another guy decided it would be brilliant to move the marker post so they could get closer. He pulled one out of the ground, moved it closer, then couldn’t put it back in the ground again! Apparently he didn’t realize you hammer those suckers in. He managed to get it in about half an inch, then let it go and left it tottering, standing a lot higher than all the ones beside it. These same guys, when they saw Glenn and Clay go by a good distance away, began to holler for them to sign something. Once again Clay eagerly ran over, once again Glenn passed. One of the guys then yelled that the Eagles were “one-hit wonders.” Lissa and I openly laughed at them, then hurried away as they got surlier.

On the last hole, Glenn didn’t do too well, but ended the game with a smile, shaking the hands of all his teammates. He took off his cap and once again ran his fingers through his hair. And as he stood waiting for the others to finish, I took this one last chance to just gaze, and it was a picture I’ll never forget. The sun was setting at the time, the sky fading from blue into golden hues, making the ocean sparkle and shine behind him, just beyond the fairway. The dusky light silhouetted his body. The sun glinted through his tousled hair, picking up coppery highlights as the wind blew through his curls. He looked magnificent. Talk about a Kodak Moment! I reached for my camera, hoping there weren’t any security guys around, but at that moment Glenn turned and faced our way. He probably didn’t even see us, but in my paranoia, I was afraid he would get mad if he saw a camera, so I shoved it back down in my purse. It doesn’t matter – a picture could never do justice to the vivid visual burned into my brain.

A fitting end to a glorious weekend – three days I will always cherish.

That chapter makes me weak in the knees.
    Oh, me too. ME TOO.

~

Stuck on the Border

Man -

That is so wonderful I can't believe it. Some of these alleged 'fans' - Glenn needs someone to treat him right!

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Thanks Julie! Yes, that he does. Who volunteers? ;)

~

Perhaps that's why he paid a little attention to us...because we were respectful of his game. I was shocked at the behavior of some people. It's a golf course! Even if the person you're yelling at isn't taking a shot someone else is! There was one lady who ducked under the rope and stood in Glenn's way so he couldn't get to the next fairway and asked for a picture with him, which he did quickly. Probably to get her out of the way. The funny part was after Glenn walked away she started jumping up and down and clapping her hands. And she was not a teenager. lol

Great write up - I can only concur with Julie regarding so-called fans. What a man to be able to deal with these complete losers in a gentlemanly fashion. I would lose my rag! This confirms in my mind that he really noticed the support from the two true Freyfans who followed his progress throughout the tournament, and tried to show his appreciation in the best possible way. Stunning.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Default Re: Nancy & Lissa's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure: Da

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    The funny part was after Glenn walked away she started jumping up and down and clapping her hands. And she was not a teenager. lol

I probably would too, lol.

~