Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pebble Beach 2006

Default Re: Pebble Beach

WOW from me too! How fabulous that you both got to go and actually meet him! That is unbelievable!

Stuck on the Border

I am so happy for both of you that I have no words to describe it. It's wonderful.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Nancy and Lissa - I can't wait to hear about what happened today! Did you go for the pictures today? This is AWESOME!

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

DAMN!!!

-------------
    All the broken dreams
    All the disappointments
    Oh girl -- What you gonna do

I'm signed in on Lissa's name but it's me, Nancy, typing. However, she's right here! Again, we're in a rush now - gonna go out on the town - but we wanted to give you a quick summary of today, too. Don't worry, the detailed ones ARE coming!

So, today we also got to talk to Glenn several times. Why? Because we were freezing our ASSES off in short sleeves and thin tops. That's right, it was windy and cold - SO COLD - and we were dressed for yesterday's weather, after doing the opposite the day before. Irony like that is too delicious to be ignored. Glenn had to comment on it. And, as our suffering increased and the winds heightened, he expressed sympathy a lot. Worth the pain? Yeah. lol In fact, we even got signed golf balls and Glenn gave me a pick to make up for not having one for me yesterday.

What a man!

Stuck on the Border

WOW.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Sigh, what a man indeed!

~~~

This way to happiness...

When I said detailed, I meant DETAILED.

Lissa and Nancy’s Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure: Day 1

What an incredible day! Because we’re using this kind of as a journal for our trip, we’re going to include EVERYTHING. This may bore you. If so, then simply read the executive summary for Day 1 and you’ll be fine. lol

But before we go into our “special moments” with Glenn, let us tell you about the game itself in general and some highlights. Frankly, today was not Glenn’s best day golf-wise, nor was it the best day for any of his teammates. While occasionally cursing and, after an especially bad shot or two, looking downright pissed, he was overall good-natured, charming, and humorous. (Something sweet: when there were kids around, the worst "curse" he would utter was "Mush!") He cracked jokes throughout. We wish we could remember them all, but a lot of them were “you had to be there” jokes anyway. One that we found especially funny: he referenced Arliss after playing badly on one hole after he had played well on the previous hole. He said that it was “against the rules” to play two holes in a row well but if he could do that, he really would be “the total package.” I remembered the reference and laughed in an unladylike guffaw/cackle combo, while Lissa had dirty thoughts. Another time, he was discussing with his caddy whether to wear shorts or pants the next day (PLEASE SHORTS Lissa and I think). “What we need is breakaway pants,” the caddy laughed, then Glenn grinned, “Yeah, we could wear breakaway!” and made the motion of ripping his pants off at the crotch and throwing them over his head, stripper-style. YEAH BABY. Sadly, I was only able to see this out of the corner of my eye, but Lissa got the full view.

Many times he acted the caddy in a refreshingly unassuming manner. He replaced his own divits and at one time, when he saw people talking during the lining up of a shot by his teammate, he stepped over the rope, raised his hands, and said loudly “quiet please!” Also, it was fun to watch how he and the “competition” pair got along. They cheered each other on – we even saw Glenn and his fellow amateur Clay Walker knock fists!

Shallow section: Glenn looked terrific, but is anyone really surprised? His hair had grown a bit longer since we’d seen him in Sacramento, curling a bit at the nape of his slightly sunburned neck. He wore a visor or a cap, often backwards. Wardrobe-wise, the sportswear for today was a black golf top (didn’t see if it had “Eagles” on it) and dark green slacks, with black and white golf shoes. P.S. The man has big feet. Lissa says size 11, minimum.

Now, back to our adventures. Since Lissa and I arrived a little late due to traffic, we weren’t exactly sure where Glenn was. We knew his tee time was 9:10, but we weren’t sure how long each hole would take. At 9:40, when we finally got there, we started walking along the fairway looking for him. As we trudged down the steep path, I noted with dismay that it was LOT hotter than we thought it would be. And here I was, with a long-sleeved lined shirt, a raincoat… I was in for a long day. Lissa had also worn a light sweater over her shirt but was able to take that off. My coat was bulkier, however, and not easily draped across a purse. Instead, I decided to tie it around my waist. You can imagine the elegant picture of beauty I was with my sleeves rolled up, shirt askew, and a big honkin’ coat tied around my waist – a coat which sagged constantly, kept falling down my hips, and almost dragged the ground.

As we passed the first tees, we looked to the right and the left, trying to see where he was. We approached a small wooden bridge which had room for about four across. As we approached, we noted another party entering from the other side. Guess who it was? The man himself! We passed Glenn going the other way in the center of the wooden bridge and I suddenly realized that I wasn’t ready to even make eye contact with him for too long, much less talk to him. After a dopey smile, I looked away and continued with my eyes on my feet. Lissa and I stopped at the other side of the bridge and looked at each other for a moment, completely excited but trying to keep it under wraps. After a moment, Lissa said, “Do you think we’ve waited long enough to follow him?” I replied “HELL yeah! Let’s go!”

And so began our adventures of following Glenn Frey around the Poppy Hill golf course (one of the three Pebble Beach Resort golf courses – over the next two days, Glenn would golf the other two). Unsure what to do or how to behave, Lissa and I followed along and hung back with the crowd for the first hole. Glenn didn’t do so well on that and wound up hitting it onto the sidewalk in the midst of the crowd. This was when I betrayed my fever-pitch Frey Fandom to Glenn. I saw him stepping over the rope into the crowd a few feet ahead of us. My first thought – “Glenn is mingling with the crowds!” As I thought this, he looked up and met my eyes. I audibly gasped and my eyes popped wide, eyebrows raised high, my dweeby excitement obvious even behind my sunglasses. In other words, I had a freak-out face, which would unfortunately reappear a few more times. I actually whispered “What do we do now?” It was then that Lissa saw that he was actually trying to hit a ball and not "mingling" per se. Thank goodness she pointed that out before I really made a fool of myself!

We hung back a little more and watched him do that hole, then another. Then it was time for what I dubbed the “royal processional” where the team marches from one hole to the next behind a man carrying their names on a card as we, the plebes, are blocked from the path until they have passed. It was usually at this point when people would run up to Glenn and ask him to sign something, which he always did, although sometimes when he was in a hurry he would just ask them to walk with him and do it quickly and without much thought. We saw one guy do this during the processional, and we saw Glenn stop to sign his hat. Then, Glenn looked up and saw us watching, and he looked expectant, knowing by my earlier idiotic expression that we were Frenzied Frey Fans. It seemed he thought we would charge at him for his autograph. Instead, we hung back, and the processional moved on. This was to be a pattern. We follow, hover in the back, watch others get their autographs, watch Glenn look over at us, and watch Glenn move on when we stood frozen.

Unfortunately, hovering sometimes meant that you were the last ones to catch up to the crowd. And for two girls with woefully inadequate senses of directions, that could be a problem. Sure, we had a map, but the paths all look alike, and the holes are laid out all over the place, and there are different crowds going different ways, and… well… we got lost. We wound up on the wrong side of Glenn’s green, at a place where the path was blocked and we were stuck. We finally were able to catch up when Glenn circled back and the path was opened.

Now, there were about 20 people following Glenn at the beginning, and that number lessened as time went on. Therefore, we were actually pretty visible, despite the fact that we were hanging back. When we got lost, Glenn actually appeared to notice! He was looking around as he waited, and to our surprise his gaze actually rested on us for a moment. This was to happen several more times over the next few holes. Worried that we would become confused again and making sure that we were still following him? Perhaps. lol

A side note – there were three other “superfans” following Glenn from tee to tee. What had they brought for him to sign but a seventh grade yearbook purchased from our own Fred Pike! Indeed, they dropped Fred’s name when Glenn signed it, starting him on an eager discussion of the “old days” that he picked up again more than once (in fact, one time he even walked with them to talk about it). We heard him say that there were a lot of intelligent guys in that class – one he said was really short but incredibly smart and one was the head of the math department at a university (we forget which). He talked about attending a reunion a long time ago, that “a lot of gifted people” were in that class, and that he’d “like to see those people again.” I hear the big 4-0 is coming up….

As the day wore on and grew hotter, Lissa and I devolved into various degrees of disarray. We had not brought enough water. We had only brought two granola bars for food, and had skipped breakfast. We hadn’t brought any sunscreen. We were a pathetic pair. We were enjoying ourselves so much, however, it didn’t matter. It was just such great fun to be able to “play along” with a guy we admire so much and see him off-stage. And, amazingly, we found ourselves actually getting into the game itself, cheering, clapping, and groaning when appropriate – for all the guys playing, not just Glenn. OK, so Lissa and I aren’t going to Sears tomorrow to buy clubs, but we have started getting the idea, lol. We continued to hang back, and whenever I saw Glenn was looking our way, I either made the “Freak out face” or looked away (the latter more than the former, thank goodness.) At one point he actually came up to the rope in front of us, a few feet away, and smiled right at us. I think he was trying to be encouraging and approachable, but I was still too scared to do anything but stare stupidly, then look away. Sad but true.

Funny moment: A siren or something went off when Glenn was getting ready to shoot. He paused and waited for it to end – but when it did, some dogs or something started howling. Everybody was looking around – “What is that?” Coyotes? Glenn says, “Sounds like a Fleetwood Mac rehearsal.” I made a noise of disapproval and for one nanosecond thought I should say something to defend my other fandom – then I realized how completely lame it would be to have my first words to Glenn Frey be something along the lines of “Fleetwood Mac is awesome!” Um, no. Besides, it was just a joke, so I held my tongue. Lissa was much more clever. She used the opportunity to joke “wasn’t me!” when all the noise started going off. Nancy’s wit, where hast thou gone? Sigh.

A couple more cute moments: Glenn ran off into the woods to take a pee during the 12th hole - and no, we could not see him! Also, when we go to the 9th hole, there was a contestant refreshment stand behind the tee. When Glenn bent over to place his ball on the tee and gave the ladies at the stand a nice view of his tight butt, they actually APPLAUDED. He straightened up and grinned back at them. The man knows he’s hot. lol

The highlight for Lissa and I came at the 16th hole. It had been a long and fun day, but we decided not to approach Glenn after all – just watch, let him enjoy his game, and maybe talk to him the next day. That would all change here. After his initial hit, he started to move forward, as did we, a little behind (our usual pattern). Suddenly, he did a u-turn, came back to where we were, and called out, “You need to lose some of those layers!” At the time I was once again fiddling with my coat and automatically said “Seriously.” Then it dawned on me we were being spoken to by Glenn Frey, and I about dropped that stupid coat then and there. “You need to get you some cooler clothes,” he continued. At this point we both turned to meet him at the rope. I was totally jazzed – here was our moment! - but I still let Lissa take the lead. She explained, “It was a lot colder when we left the house! I live two hours away from here!” He asked, “Where do you live?” “Livermore – it’s on the 580 corridor,” she replied. He nodded knowingly. “Oh, my brother lives in Livermore!” the caddy piped up. (I had asked Lissa earlier not to mention I flew in from Indiana, worried that it might freak him out.) Finally I found my tongue. “Small state,” I joked. Not my best work. I don’t even think it got heard, much less a laugh!

At that point, Glenn started searching for something in his pocket (we realized later he was looking for picks to give us) and Lissa seized the chance. She titled her head flirtatiously and cooed, “Would you sign something for me?” It worked. “Sure!” he said. Lissa gave him the pen she had brought and also the CD booklet for “Live in Dublin.” Then he said, “Are you kidding? Solo stuff? Wow! This just makes my heart pound,” he laughed. “It makes my heart pound, too, when I listen to it!” Lissa replied, although Glenn missed part of it as he continued, “Everybody brings Eagles stuff. This is great.” Then he asked her name, and signed it, “Melissa, my best, Glenn Frey” (as evinced above)! She thanked him, took it back, and was presented with a guitar pick to boot!

Then it was my turn. Still wearing a stupid grin I seemed unable to control, I moved up to the rope. He was fishing in his pockets again, muttering, “Where did all the picks go? I can’t find another one…” I guess he figured I was going to ask for one. Instead, I asked, “Do you have a little more time to sign something for me, too?” He smiled and said “Yes.” I started to pull out the Longbranch Pennywhistle album as Lissa helped build anticipation by saying “Wait ‘til you see what she brought!” I then presented it to him. His jaw dropped. “Wow!” he said more than once. “I got it on Ebay,” I volunteered at his look of shock, but it didn’t seem to register. He was still looking at the album. He turned it over and saw the photo of himself dangling from the rope. He grimaced. “Isn’t that just sick?” he said with mock horror (or perhaps genuine horror at his awful hairdo). Then he asked me my name, too, and I got the autograph. “Thank you so much,” I gushed as he handed it back. “You’re welcome, sweetheart,” he replied. “Don’t get too hot!” Feeling a little bolder, I said in the exaggerated tone of a martyr, “We’re suffering, but we’ll survive.” He chuckled a bit, then turned to catch up with the group, leaving us to gleefully look at our prizes and try to get control of ourselves before catching up with the rest of the crowd. Lissa started to call after him that he had stuck her pen in his front pocket, but I shushed her. "Let him keep it, hon. I'll buy you a new one!"

We spent the seventeenth and eighteenth holes in a quasi-daze. Then, the last putt was putted. Glenn took off his visor and ran his fingers through his hair, then retired to the clubhouse. We also took our leave – except we had to hike back up the hill and wait in line for a bus to take us to another bus which would take us to Lissa’s car. Exhausted, aching, sweating, but thrilled, we couldn’t wait for tomorrow. And as we hopped into her van and turned on the CD player, we heard the opening strains of “A Walk in the Dark.”

Perfection.

But that was only the beginning! To be continued… DAY TWO!

~

.....oh my gosh.....that is totally AWESOME.......what more can I say for now...thank you, thank you!

~~~

This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Nancy and Lissa - All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

And to paraphrase Molly - when you said this may bore you where was that winking emoticon?

And then, there was Day 2 .....

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...